PDA

View Full Version : American Medical Isotopes Production Act of 2011

Wild Cobra
11-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Agloco, I thought of you when I came across this. What do you think? I think medical facilities can bear the cost, but of course that's me. Still, is molybdenum-99 that useful for medical applications?

American Medical Isotopes Production Act of 2011 (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s99rfh/pdf/BILLS-112s99rfh.pdf)

What appears key to me is that U235 is used to make Mo99. Of course, U235 is a tightly controlled substance for obvious reasons. This legislation allows U235 to be used for medical reasons.

CBO Cost Estimates (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/121xx/doc12147/s99.pdf)

Halberto
11-20-2011, 08:18 AM
I be;ieve the titty input is obsolete

Agloco
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Agloco, I thought of you when I came across this. What do you think? I think medical facilities can bear the cost, but of course that's me. Still, is molybdenum-99 that useful for medical applications?

American Medical Isotopes Production Act of 2011 (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s99rfh/pdf/BILLS-112s99rfh.pdf)

What appears key to me is that U235 is used to make Mo99. Of course, U235 is a tightly controlled substance for obvious reasons. This legislation allows U235 to be used for medical reasons.

CBO Cost Estimates (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/121xx/doc12147/s99.pdf)

Well, Mo-99 decays to metastable Tc-99 which is by far and away the most widely used isotope in nuclear imaging. Look up Moly Generators if you're interested in more specifics.

As for production of Mo-99, Most countries used HEU, however South Africa began to produce it from LEU circa 2008. During one of our inspection tours, we were able to see the process firsthand. That tour and the recommendations we made helped serve as the genesis for this legislation.

At the end of the day, its about keeping as much HEU out of international circulation as possible.

Agloco
11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I be;ieve the titty input is obsolete

:lol

You should know that I'm not that artist originally known as Agloco. This Used to be the account of an acquaintance. Agloco the physicist began posting during the Fukushima crisis. I couldn't stand what I was reading from some posters so I felt compelled to engage in some education. I was what you term a lurker before that. I've just left the finer points of the account to him.

Wild Cobra
11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
When I first posted, the little searching I did made me realize the breakdown to Tc, and not knowing medicine, assumed it was possibly a new experimental cancer treatment idea. I soon saw it was for tracers, but I still find the use of isotopes in medicine a fascinating topic. Even at that, the short 1/2 life of Mo99 seems to me it is advantageous to have some central US source.

I wonder what the likes of mouse would think, saying there are no safe nuclear radiation levels?

scott
11-20-2011, 10:57 AM
When I first posted, the little searching I did made me realize the breakdown to Tc, and not knowing medicine, assumed it was possibly a new experimental cancer treatment idea.

You realize your "I don't know so I just assume" mentality to everything is about 25% of the reason everyone here thinks you're a complete moron, right?

DMX7
11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
WC ASSumed?

Agloco
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
When I first posted, the little searching I did made me realize the breakdown to Tc, and not knowing medicine, assumed it was possibly a new experimental cancer treatment idea. I soon saw it was for tracers, but I still find the use of isotopes in medicine a fascinating topic. Even at that, the short 1/2 life of Mo99 seems to me it is advantageous to have some central US source.

I wonder what the likes of mouse would think, saying there are no safe nuclear radiation levels?

Mo99 has a half life of roughly 66 hours. In nuclear medicine speak, that's quite long. The short half life of metastable Tc99 (6hr) is where the advantages are conferred. It emits a gamma at141kev which is a perfect energy for detection via scintigraphic imaging. It also means that very little dose is conferred to the patient as the vast majority of photons escape the patient. We give between 15 and 30 mCi depending on what's being imaged

Wild Cobra
11-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Mo99 has a half life of roughly 66 hours. In nuclear medicine speak, that's quite long. The short half life of metastable Tc99 (6hr) is where the advantages are conferred. It emits a gamma at141kev which is a perfect energy for detection via scintigraphic imaging. It also means that very little dose is conferred to the patient as the vast majority of photons escape the patient. We give between 15 and 30 mCi depending on what's being imaged
Yes, it seems to me it would be very beneficial to make the Mo99 here in the US, if we don't already make some. I get the impression from the threads I read that demand is exceeding supply.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes, it seems to me it would be very beneficial to make the Mo99 here in the US, if we don't already make some. I get the impression from the threads I read that demand is exceeding supply.

So whats your solution in circumstances where the scarcity of the resource is so great? The states?