PDA

View Full Version : Cairo's Tahrir Square rocked by renewed clashes

velik_m
11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Egyptian troops and police have stormed Tahrir Square in Cairo to try to seize control from protesters who had set up camp there.

Demonstrators fled as officers fired tear gas and beat them with truncheons. At least four people have died in the violence since Saturday, reports say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15809739

The more things change the more they stay the same...

boutons_deux
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Human-Egyptians have much more balls than the Human-Americans. Human-Egyptians know their revolution isn't over and won't let the military steal it back.

Winehole23
11-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I thought the army stole it to begin with, hence their formidable position as the current ruling power.

Agloco
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I thought the army stole it to begin with, hence their formidable position as the current ruling power.

This. I smelled trouble when the army started dragging their feet a few months ago. This could get quite ugly.

Wild Cobra
11-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Wow...

Our occupy protesters made it into Cairo!

Sense
11-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Wow...

Our occupy protesters made it into Cairo!

smh

Wild Cobra
11-21-2011, 05:33 AM
smh
In a funny way, or like you can't believe I made that joke?

LnGrrrR
11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
WC, are those protesters cockroaches too?

velik_m
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
New clashes in Cairo's Tahrir Square

Protesters fear the interim military government is trying to retain its grip on power ahead of parliamentary elections planned to begin next week.

One minister has resigned in protest at the handling of the latest unrest.

At least 20 people are reported to have died since the violence began on Saturday with hundreds more injured.

Earlier reports said 33 people had died, but mortuary officials later corrected the figure, saying some of the deaths had not been related to the protests.

Some 1,750 people have also been reported injured in clashes across the country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15814035

Winehole23
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
The International Business Times reports that demonstrators have been struck with "dangerous levels of CR gas over the past two days of protests" and Australia's The Age said Wednesday that the canisters are marked "Made in the USA."Read more on Newsmax.com: Egyptian Military Using Nerve Gas on Protesters (http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/egyptian-military-nerve-gas/2011/11/23/id/418927?s=al&promo_code=D935-1#ixzz1eXo2b5rD)

mavs>spurs
11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
why aren't we intervening there? sounds a lot worse than what syria is doing. at least when syria reacts with force it's because armed militants are attacking police stations and military bases tbh.

Drachen
11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
why aren't we intervening there? sounds a lot worse than what syria is doing. at least when syria reacts with force it's because armed militants are attacking police stations and military bases tbh.

LOL, is this Assad's troll account?

mavs>spurs
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
so a portion of the syrian military didn't go rogue and start engaging in terrorist attacks?

Drachen
11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
You said that Syria is reacting with force because armed militants are attacking . . . .

So are you telling me that every day, starting about 9 months ago until today, armed militants have attacked police stations, etc?

Or is it that Syria proactively used force in an attempt to stop protests similar to those that removed his fellow dictators from power? That first Assad promised reforms to his own people, without lifting a finger to deliver, THEN made a deal with the Arab league which he began breaking the VERY NEXT DAY. At which point portions of the military began to go rogue due to their abhorrence of the orders that they were given to shoot innocent people and are now reacting with force because armed militants are shooting innocent people.

mavs>spurs
11-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I dunno man, all I know is I wouldn't trust AMERICAN media's account of what's gone on. From what I see, there have been MASSIVE pro-Assad demonstrations all across the country as well as protests.

Drachen
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I dunno man, all I know is I wouldn't trust AMERICAN media's account of what's gone on. From what I see, there have been MASSIVE pro-Assad demonstrations all across the country as well as protests.

I will grant you that its kinda impossible to really REALLY know, since Assad as stated that NO reporters are allowed in country. We are relying on the firsthand accounts of those who have crossed the border into turkey, those with satellite phones, etc. I am inclined to belive the opposing viewpoint to yours is due to the fact that even his friends have turned against him(Turkey's PM who would call Assad his brother on almost every occasion is now an enemy) and that it was Assad who threw the reporters out (what are you hiding).

Winehole23
12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
A demonstration outside the Cabinet building in central Cairo turned violent last night when soldiers attacked a sit-in which had been established three weeks ago. Protestors were pelted with rocks and even furniture from the buildings above. There are reports of almost 100 injured, and the battle continues to rage on. At least three members of the Advisory Council appointed by the SCAF have resigned in protest, and the political fallout is likely only beginning. After three weeks of orderly elections, Cairo once again looks like Bahrain. http://lynch.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/12/16/violence_returns_to_cairo