PDA

View Full Version : Will lockout hurt spurs on signing future players

spurso
11-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone, I've been following the Spurs and this site for a long time now but have never posted. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on the post lockout signing of players.
Since Holt is one of the lead negotiators for the owners and there is clearly some very bad blood brewing between both sides, will players avoid coming to San Antonio as payback to Holt. I know we already have a hard time attracting players but will it be harder or will players simply follow the money.

ChuckD
11-25-2011, 03:23 PM
We never signed big name FAs anyway, but this couldn't have helped, even with the MLE guys and the minimum guys.

baseline bum
11-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I really don't think it will have much effect, since Gilbert, Sarver, Jordan, and Allen have been hardasses in the negotiations too. That's just too much of the league and too much money for players to realistically hold a grudge for more than a season or two.

Bruno
11-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, it will.

Spurs low-balling their draft picks will also hurt them.

baseline bum
11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes, it will.

Spurs low-balling their draft picks will also hurt them.

Came a year too late then; if only Bonner and Dick scoffed the team. :pctoss

DMC
11-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Show me one big name the Spurs attracted from free agency, just one, in the past 20 years.

ChuckD
11-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Show me one big name the Spurs attracted from free agency, just one, in the past 20 years.

Show me one team, other than the 2000-2003 Lakers who signed Shaq in 1996, who builds a championship through signing a huge FA.

spurso
11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Bruno,
can you elaborate. Players seem to be happy on the spurs(george hill, blair etc.).
BTW you always seem to have great insight into the league. Do you have contacts among the players?

DMC
11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Show me one team, other than the 2000-2003 Lakers who signed Shaq in 1996, who builds a championship through signing a huge FA.
You moved the goalposts.

The OP asked about signing future players. Draftees don't really have a choice, and FAs do. The lockout couldn't hurt what's never existed, which is the Spurs' ability to sign big name FAs. Other players will continue to come to SA because, as always, they are on their way out anyhow and want a shot at something. If the Spurs don't have that shot, it's not because of the lockout, but because Tim is near retirement.

spurso
11-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Good point DMC. What is it that is not attractive about SA (I know this is off topic). IMO it is an awesome city. I've gotten a chance to travel a good bit and there are much worse cities out there:-)