PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2012 Forecast

cutewizard
11-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Lockout is over....let the games begin!

So what do you think is our chance this year guys?

Can we win it all again, a final dance for our big three?

Comments?

Giuseppe
11-26-2011, 05:57 AM
I'd settle for getting out of the first round.

Buddy Holly
11-26-2011, 06:13 AM
I want to see what Tiago can do as our starting C along side Tim.

I want to see how Dejuan rebounds from a subpar season.

I can't wait to see what Neal can do being the second SG for the Spurs.

I want to see our new players in action.

I want to see how Butler does.

I want to see less of Jefferson and Bonner.

Bruno
11-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Spurs are done.

Muser
11-26-2011, 06:23 AM
I want to see what the new guys can do, but tbh I just want to see some ball.

dbestpro
11-26-2011, 06:50 AM
I am hoping that with alienated fans, and exposure to European play for some of the NBA players, that the NBA gets back to being a more physical league and stops over protecting its projected stars.

Texas_Ranger
11-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Spurs are done.

Fireball
11-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Spurs are not contenders any more, but still a competitive playoff team and I am happy to be able to watch Timmy for a possible final season ...

Lets see what the short free agency period brings.

yavozerb
11-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Spurs will still be a top 5 western conference playoff team still in my opinion. I do not expect much in the way of FA but I do expect to hear the spurs names quite a bit in trade talks once those can resume..

TDomination
11-26-2011, 11:35 AM

THIS

I have no real expectations for them this year. Im excited about seeing them play finally, and excited to see Tim Duncan play again. I don't know when he's going to retire but I want to enjoy him playing for our team for as long as i can!

I would be happy just to see us go back to focusing on having an outstanding defense, even if it means having a bad offense. If we can get back to awesome defense, I will feel better about the future.

dbreiden83080
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Top 3 Western record but out by 2nd round of playoffs probably..

wut
11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
yeh I'm with the majority on this one...who can have hopes of championships when the Spurs are having trouble even getting into the Western Conference finals?

The Spurs when healthy and on a roll can contend against any team; but we have no one that is unstoppable and the defense just isn't good anymore. The team is just not built for championship success, it's a team that can have a winning season and beat weak teams in the playoffs but won't be able to beat contenders.

The Spurs are like the run and gun Suns/Mavs of the past; entertaining at the most.

I miss watching the defense dominate teams.

gospursgojas
11-26-2011, 06:17 PM
More Neal....less Bonner

gospursgojas
11-26-2011, 06:20 PM
46-20? Who knows.

DMC
11-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Any Tim Duncan dunk will be treated as a flashback.

The Spurs will win games, but they are done.

chazley
11-26-2011, 07:46 PM
I have zero respect for anyone who says Spurs are no longer contenders. We have one of, if not the, deepest teams in the league.

We had the second best record in the regular season last season, and we went up against the only team in the league geared to stop us. We would've dismantled the Mavs, would've beat the Lakers with homecourt advantage, and we matched up well with the Heat. If we had Manu in game 1, we would've been up 2-0 against the Grizz as well. Some Spurs fans I think intentionally count the Spurs out even though the don't believe it, just to protect themselves emotionally when we lose. Either go allin with our team or go join the Heat bandwagon.

So fucking sick and tired of people counting them out. Seriously, name one team in the Western Conference we have zero chance against.

itzsoweezee
11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I have zero respect for anyone who says Spurs are no longer contenders. We have one of, if not the, deepest teams in the league.

We had the second best record in the regular season last season, and we went up against the only team in the league geared to stop us. We would've dismantled the Mavs, would've beat the Lakers with homecourt advantage, and we matched up well with the Heat. If we had Manu in game 1, we would've been up 2-0 against the Grizz as well. Some Spurs fans I think intentionally count the Spurs out even though the don't believe it, just to protect themselves emotionally when we lose. Either go allin with our team or go join the Heat bandwagon.

So fucking sick and tired of people counting them out. Seriously, name one team in the Western Conference we have zero chance against.

Maybe if Tiago can become a scoring threat in the post. Last season, the Spurs' big men didn't provide nearly enough scoring down low. You can't win like that in the playoffs.

ElNono
11-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Rainy... very rainy... we'll have the rare Manu/Tony sunshine game, and those will be the ones to cherish...

ElNono
11-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Spurs are no longer contenders. They weren't last season regardless of what the regular season record said.

Spurs Brazil
11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Do we get the whole MLE?

I'd give the money to Dalembert

GB20
11-26-2011, 09:34 PM
if we sing tyson chandler we could be a contenders. we need some defense that is all.

Mr. Body
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Spurs are done.

Yep. It's a long way down. Plus the new CBA does no favors to rebuilding teams.

spurs1990
11-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Loaded draft/old shitty roster.

Tank.

Get Harrison Barnes.

Rinse and repeat.

xtremesteven33
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Anything can happen. The Spurs have more team chemistry than any other team in the NBA. Im not saying they are contenders but anything can happen. Nobody predicted the Mavericks would win it all last year.

spurs1990
11-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Plus who the flurk wants another asterisk championship.

Let some other franchise deal with that albatross.

mingus
11-27-2011, 12:06 AM
season hinges on Kawil Leonard. i'm not even sure if that's how you spell his name. basically, our season depends on some guy whose name i don't know how to spell.

didn't know how to spell Ginobili's name either.

in all seriousness, i think we can strut out a serviceable team.

C-Splitter
PF-Duncan
SF-Leonard
SG-Manu
PG-Parker

is actually a good starting lineup that i can see hoisting a trophy for 4th place.

Ditty
11-27-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm excited about seeing James Anderson, and Kawhi Leonard.

Could defintley see these both being top 10 players at there positions in a few years.

Wonder if the Spurs will use Mcdyess, and Blair to go after a big man, and go after a big man with the MLE.

spurs10
11-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I think they will definitely be going after a big. Dice, Blair,and the MLE all make sense.

Sean Cagney
11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Can the Spurs make a top 5 seed or the playoffs in general? I hope so and it's possible, thats all I ask for is a top 5 seed and HC in round one! Who knows what will happen, Spurs are older yes but they can make a playoff team sweat if they can play in full and avoid a hot team like Memphis in round one this year lol.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 02:17 AM
I wanna see how much left Manu has in the tank... His production is due to take a hit. Hopefully he has one more (short) season in him...

Borosai
11-27-2011, 02:22 AM
The Spurs need to make a move for a starting PF. If they manage that, they'll have a chance to win another *.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:13 AM
If there isn't a steep drop off from Tim/Manu & TP can maintain his pretty elite play AND Lenoard has a motor and can really defend/rebound there is no question in my mind that they will be better than last year. That still doesn't make them a contender, but they will have 2nd round potential if all that happens (big if).

I know Leonard doesn't have the all around "talent" of RJ, but as far as fit and need, he would make the whole better if he is legit.

quentin_compson
11-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Well, the Spurs should be too good not to reach the Playoffs and not good enough to do anything noteworthy there. But hey, that's what most people (myself included) were saying or thinking about Dallas last year.

Fireball
11-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Hopefully the Spurs will have a favorable schedule. 66 games means many b2b games and some teams will face easier opponents than others. Cannot wait to see the schedule ...

kobyz
11-27-2011, 07:51 AM
give Kawhi Leonard a spot in the starting lineup and at least 30mpg from the get go, need to build him as a main piece and even if at first he disappoint keep giving him the credit cause he's a special talent, a great complimentary and team player and has strong intangibles that utter in a long run.
make RJ a six man player or amensty him...

kobyz
11-27-2011, 08:52 AM
ohh and i think we have a secret agreement with Jeremy Pargo and he will be our new backup PG!

Ice009
11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
ohh and i think we have a secret agreement with Jeremy Pargo and he will be our new backup PG!

Is he playing with any team right now? I was actually thinking of bumping the Jeremy Pargo thread as he's a player I'd like the Spurs to get.

TheCerebral1
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
PG: 9 Tony Parker - 14 Gary Neal - 5 Cory Joseph
SG: 20 Manu Ginobili - 14 Gary Neal - 25 James Anderson
SF: 2 Kawhi Leonard - 25 James Anderson
PF: 45 DeJuan Blair - 22 Tiago Splitter - 15 Matt Bonner
C: 21 Tim Duncan - 22 Tiago Splitter

With an amnesty cut of RJ24, that allows for some interesting possibilties. Going after a Tyson Chandler would be my first interest.

The Truth #6
11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
If Leonard is halfway decent, we all know he should get time over RJ...but of course that won't happen. Pop always finds a few ways per year to abandon common sense in exchange for tradition and so RJ will start and play despite any lackluster play.

And in that line, Tiago could be ready to really contribute...but might be behind Blair because, hey, it's Blair's third year!

I like the idea of a shortened season because 82 games is too long, and with a short season we might see something unexpected.

GB20
11-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Anything can happen. The Spurs have more team chemistry than any other team in the NBA. Im not saying they are contenders but anything can happen. Nobody predicted the Mavericks would win it all last year.

I totally agree with this.

spurs10
11-27-2011, 01:13 PM
The schedule, as in how many b2b's, will tell us a lot. Praying we land a PF with some talent!!!

Mr Fundamental
11-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Dont want to see Blair and Bonner on the court at the same time.

That's all for me. This duo could make me cancer last season.

GB20
11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=TheCerebral1;5482106]PG: 9 Tony Parker - 14 Gary Neal - 5 Cory Joseph
SG: 20 Manu Ginobili - 14 Gary Neal - 25 James Anderson
SF: 2 Kawhi Leonard - 25 James Anderson
PF: 45 DeJuan Blair - 22 Tiago Splitter - 15 Matt Bonner
C: 21 Tim Duncan - 22 Tiago Splitter

how come many people say that the spurs are too old. this lineup look young to me.

Fireball
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
how come many people say that the spurs are too old. this lineup look young to me.

Average age of the team perhaps, but the two most important players (Manu and Tim) are too old. You need a superstar in his prime. And do not talk about Dirk - with his shooting ability age is not as important as for players like Tim and Manu.

Nonetheless I agree with others about team chemistry. Spurs will have this and profit from it in a season where training time is available even less.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
When you have to grasp for "team chemistry" it's time to adjust your expectations, tbh...

Fireball
11-27-2011, 02:27 PM
When you have to grasp for "team chemistry" it's time to adjust your expectations, tbh...

I stated my expectations earlier which is nothing else than that the Spurs reach the playoffs - mothing more. Team chemistry might help them to get a better regular season record than the so called experts expect.

itzsoweezee
11-27-2011, 02:55 PM
The Spurs have a decent roster.

The problem is, and has been, that Bonner will get the more minutes than any other big man on the team. Book it. No team can win like that. None.

Remember how delusional people were here last year? They actually thought Boner would be a 10 min (max) type player. Lol. You guys still underestimate the stupidity of Popovich.

Splitter starting alongside Duncan? :lmao Makes too much sense; it'll never happen.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:00 PM
People will say: "You can't start two non-scorers together" meaning Tiago/Leonard in for Bonner/RJ. I say that is pretty bogus and while that lineup does have it's downsides (obviously) I believe the overall effect will be the best shot at doing something even if it leads to less regular season wins.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Also, a decent amount is riding on Leonard. Obviously, no "true contender" is starting rookies and expecting much. But Spurs aren't contenders. We are looking for a little playoff run and quality basketball. Spurs gave up a key, proven rotational player for Leonard so there are some expectations. Since he (in theory) has equal or better upside to Hill and is at a position of need, it's not hard to expect this team to be better than last year (not reg season record wise, but overall impact). It will all depend on how good Leonard really is.

DAF86
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
2nd round.

Ocotillo
11-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Leonard needs to get over himself.

Mr. Body
11-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Also, a decent amount is riding on Leonard. Obviously, no "true contender" is starting rookies and expecting much.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. This team looks middle of the pack. As mentioned, the two most important guys are old and close to busted. Very sadly. The young guys are marginal role players at this point, having not proved consistency.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Pretty much it in a nutshell. This team looks middle of the pack. As mentioned, the two most important guys are old and close to busted. Very sadly. The young guys are marginal role players at this point, having not proved consistency.

Agree somewhat, but its all about expectations. I don't think anyone outside of a true homer legitimately sees them as a contender as is. But if we are talking 2nd round or conference finals? To me, it's not that out of the question depending on how things shake out. Not saying that is likely, in fact I believe that it is not very likely. But it's really not a huge stretch all things considered.

Keep in mind a few things: Spurs with what I perceive to be a worse roster last year had the best record. If Manu doesn't get injured really late in the season, Spurs might have beaten Memphis. It's not guaranteed, but I feel it was attainable.

Spurs, while they have a lot of question marks, also have a lot of decent upside young players in Leonard, Blair & Tiago. It's far from a given that those guys take a step forward, but the potential is there. If those guys can play well, this team will be better than last years (barring any injury to the big 3). If that is the case, depending on what other teams add and what the Spurs do, I can see a mini little playoff run to the 2nd round (probably my ceiling if things go well) or even a WCF (if things go REALLY WELL).

So with all of that, remember you have nuggets team that was a threat, but is now way less of a team because of their players leaving/left. New Orleans is likely to be without West. There really isn't anyone jumping the Spurs and if you get a net improvement by playing Tiago/Leonard more (again, not a given at all) it's not that hard to see them competing more than last year which I would be thrilled with.

Bruno
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
A Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan lineup will seriously lack of spacing. I doubt it will work. Pop could decide to have a better defender starting at SF than RJ but this player should also be a good 3 point shooter.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree it has it's flaws, but the uptick in energy, hustle, rebounding, defense and ability to slash/draw fouls offsets the deficiencies overall IMO. In fact, look at MEM for a prime example of how that can work.

Starting: Conley/Sam Young/Allen/Gasol/Randolph severely lacks spacing and 3 PT shooting, but they were able to overcome. Obviously. Gasol/Randolph is better offensively than Tiago/Duncan, but they aren't really spaced a ton better because both Marc & Zach play deep in the paint (even if Zach can pick and pop).

Point is, that I think it will have it's flaws, but will be better suited to playoff winning.

Spurs have plenty of 3 pt shooters they can rotate in when need be.

itzsoweezee
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
A Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan lineup will seriously lack of spacing. I doubt it will work. Pop could decide to have a better defender starting at SF than RJ but this player should also be a good 3 point shooter.

Spacing is way the hell down the list of factors that make a winning team.

I'll take a huge, talented front line over "spacing" any day.

Nathan89
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM

I agree it has it's flaws, but the uptick in energy, hustle, rebounding, defense and ability to slash/draw fouls offsets the deficiencies overall IMO. In fact, look at MEM for a prime example of how that can work.

Starting: Conley/Sam Young/Allen/Gasol/Randolph severely lacks spacing and 3 PT shooting, but they were able to overcome. Obviously. Gasol/Randolph is better offensively than Tiago/Duncan, but they aren't really spaced a ton better because both Marc & Zach play deep in the paint (even if Zach can pick and pop).

Point is, that I think it will have it's flaws, but will be better suited to playoff winning.

Spurs have plenty of 3 pt shooters they can rotate in when need be.

Randolph shoots way better than Duncan
Gasol shoots pretty good as well

It makes a big difference.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I stated my expectations earlier which is nothing else than that the Spurs reach the playoffs - mothing more. Team chemistry might help them to get a better regular season record than the so called experts expect.

Sorry, my post wasn't necessarily aimed at you. I do agree that they're probably good enough to reach the playoffs, anything else is gravy.

I'm personally leaning more towards enjoying any good game Manu and TD can give us than any shot at a 'ship.

Bill_Brasky
11-27-2011, 09:47 PM

I would rather have Parker/Neal/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan and have Manu come off the bench to lead a good second unit.

Neal would provide spacing.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Duncan has the ability to play a little further out (a la Zach Randolph) while Tiago operates mainly inside (a la Gasol). It's not ideal and that line up has flaws, but the Bonner/Tim/RJ line up has many more detrimental ones IMO.

Russo21
11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Spurs 2012 forecast? Definately not winning an NBA championship. Not with RJ as a starting small forward. Not with a giant gaping hole in the middle. We all know what we need but we arent gonna get it. The less hope you have on the spurs 2012 forecast the better.

TimmehC
11-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Not optimistic. The decline began a few years ago, but compressing the season does not do an old team in decline any favors.

Dr. Gonzo
11-28-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm just going to watch. I'm not expecting much. Hopefully there is more good than bad.

mingus
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Leonard needs to get over himself.

he only has 66 games to get over himself compared to the 82 Splitter had.

therealtruth
11-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I don't think it's crazy to expect to be able to contend. The lineup will probably be Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-Duncan-Splitter with Neal,Anderson,Leonard, Blair, and a replacement for Dice off the bench. Adding Splitter and Anderson will help cover some of defensive deficiencies last season. Splitter could have a Tyson Chandler like effect. They might need a real backup PG.

Fireball
11-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm personally leaning more towards enjoying any good game Manu and TD can give us than any shot at a 'ship.

Yes Sir ... any game with Manu and Tim on the court is a blessing. And competitive minutes for Splitter, Anderson and Leonard would be a nice christmas gift by Pop.

I understand the desire of the people here to always have a team that is a contender. But that is just not realistic. Last season provided six months of successful and enjoyable Spurs basketball (only that six game losing streak hurt). The playoff series with Memphis was intense and had some good moments. Everybody says regular season does not count, but as a basketball fan most of the games you are able to watch are regular season games. If I am happy for half a year and then feel a little down because of an early playoff exit, thats not a bad deal after all.

In a nutshell - I just wanna see the Spurs play and have not doubt they will reach the playoffs unless major injuries occur.

ElNono
11-28-2011, 03:51 AM
^ I appreciate the entertainment, but it's also undeniable that competitive/winning playoffs runs are the ones that tend to leave a mark. Basically, the 60+ wins season was enjoyable to watch, but it won't be what this team is remembered for.

Fireball
11-28-2011, 04:22 AM
^ I appreciate the entertainment, but it's also undeniable that competitive/winning playoffs runs are the ones that tend to leave a mark. Basically, the 60+ wins season was enjoyable to watch, but it won't be what this team is remembered for.

Totally agree ... and the Spurs had more than their share of such moments in the Tim Duncan era. The regular season lasts half a year and I do not know if I would like to see a losing team, e.g. tanking to get an early first round draft pick again.

bus driver
11-28-2011, 11:44 AM

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

an asterisk only means something to the teams that dont win. fuckum, :flag:

cheguevara
11-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Spurs are done.

they were done since 08

JR3
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think we are a contender. We are definately a playoff team. I think we have potential to knock off a contender in the playoffs, but we won't go all the way. Should be fun watching.. I hope the Spurs surprise us all.

SenorSpur
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Spurs are not contenders any more, but still a competitive playoff team and I am happy to be able to watch Timmy for a possible final season ....

This ^

Lets see what the short free agency period brings.

The Spurs are simply too cash-strapped to be able to to do much in free agency. Though I'd settle for a low-risk, young, cheap guy like Earl Clark.

Killakobe81
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Let me give an outside perspective ...the spurs are NOT done. Maybe their record last year was a bit of a mirage or maybe it was Pop "over acheiving" with a limited cast. But you cant have the 2nd best record in the NBA and go to non contender status IMHO.

Are you guys favorites? NO! I would say in the west you would have to consider them behind Dallas and possibly the Lakers. Overall probably behind miami and Chicago as well. But there is no garuntee that OKC, POR or even MEM will take the leap needed to surpass the spurs.

I guess I am hesitant to throw dirt on your team, maybe because I lived in SA for 3 years and saw how dangerous this team used to be on a nightly basis. Maybe many on here are right, without elite level defense it wont matter if Manu, Parker and duncan are healthy come playoff time ...
But i thought last year (i was wrong) and I think they still have one WCF run left in them.

BUT it depends on Timmy/Ginobili pulling out a few vintage Duncan/Manu games ...

DesignatedT
11-28-2011, 01:41 PM
A lot of things would have to go our way for that to happen Killa, but It's possible, although a long shot.

Chomag
11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
My expectations for the Spurs are not very high unless they make allot of changes and off-load the non-winners like Jefferson, and Bonner and also snag something good to help TD in the paint. Another year staying pat just will not get it done with an aging core.

However I'm very excited to get to see the new players in action, regardless of the seasons outcome.

I just wish TD wasn't going out like this but he has had an awesome career regardless, and it was a privilege to have had him on the team I love.

I'm still gonna love to see my team ball!

ElNono
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Killa, you looking at this only from the offensive side. The biggest structural problem the Spurs have (and have had for a while) is on defense. With Tim and Manu being basically the top defenders and only getting older, the gap is only widening. Lot of people put stock on this kid leonard, and maybe one day he'll be a great player, but he's a rook now and coming from a weak draft class, the odds are not in our favor that he'll make that much of an impact on D.

Shooting at a 'ship by basically hoping to luck out that the other team will have 4 out of 7 bad shooting nights is really pushing it. That's the reality of it.

We never really recovered from losing Bowen, and TD and Manu have only become older. They can have a vintage game here or there, but if you can't make stops, it's a waste. Pretty to watch though, that's why I'll be watching.

lcroock
11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
If we can land Jeremy Pargo, who will be playing in the NBA this year since he did no sign in Europe, that should be a pretty sweet deal (i.e. essentially trading George for Pargo and Leonard). He is no worse that Hill at the point so he could be our backup 1 and come off the bench with Manu if Neal starts. I think the Spurs should really mix it up this year, maybe go with RJ and Manu off the bench and use some fresh legs in the starting lineup. A lot will depend on if Leonard can contribute from day 1. Watch out for David West on the FA market. He may only get a 1-year deal since teams are looking to maintain space for next year, and he is coming off injury as well...

mathbzh
11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Parker just talked about the team forecast in his radio show (in France).
I don't know if there is some truth in this or if it is just a trick to make the impression in France that the Spurs are still an elite team.

« Nos objectifs ce sont toujours les mêmes : gagner le titre. On veut faire la même saison et aller plus loin en play-offs. On est sur des gros trucs (pour les transferts). Notre équipe c’est une équipe de vétérans. Les Spurs vont faire un petit effort. L’année dernière, on s’est fait bien dominer à l’intérieur. C’est là qu’on va devoir recruter

Basically, they still want the title. They are on something big (Trade? Free Agent?). They are a veteran team. Spurs will make a small effort. Last year they were dominated inside. This is where they must recruit.

Killakobe81
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Killa, you looking at this only from the offensive side. The biggest structural problem the Spurs have (and have had for a while) is on defense. With Tim and Manu being basically the top defenders and only getting older, the gap is only widening. Lot of people put stock on this kid leonard, and maybe one day he'll be a great player, but he's a rook now and coming from a weak draft class, the odds are not in our favor that he'll make that much of an impact on D.

Shooting at a 'ship by basically hoping to luck out that the other team will have 4 out of 7 bad shooting nights is really pushing it. That's the reality of it.

We never really recovered from losing Bowen, and TD and Manu have only become older. They can have a vintage game here or there, but if you can't make stops, it's a waste. Pretty to watch though, that's why I'll be watching.

No i concede that defensively there are issues here ... never denied that. In te west OKC plays pretty good defense, the Lakers are "sometimesy" defensively. (but Dallas torched both last playoffs) .Memphis is no world beaters on defense... Battier is solid but has lost 2 steps and Allen though a good defender sucks so bad on offense he hurts on the other end.

Heck Dallas played championship level defense with only Chandler truly playing elite level defense. Dont get me wrong Kidd, stevenson and Marion all played key roles in their defense ...and yes I do think right now (who would of said this 3 years ago) that they are a better defense than you guys have right now ...but I just dont buty that players like Manu and tim will not squeeze one more playoff run. Not predicting any more trophies for this crew but 10-12 games of good ball is possible. I say 2nd round at least and a tough out ...but i have been wrong the past 2 seasons.

ElNono
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
No i concede that defensively there are issues here ... never denied that. In te west OKC plays pretty good defense, the Lakers are "sometimesy" defensively. (but Dallas torched both last playoffs) .Memphis is no world beaters on defense... Battier is solid but has lost 2 steps and Allen though a good defender sucks so bad on offense he hurts on the other end.

Heck Dallas played championship level defense with only Chandler truly playing elite level defense. Dont get me wrong Kidd, stevenson and Marion all played key roles in their defense ...and yes I do think right now (who would of said this 3 years ago) that they are a better defense than you guys have right now ...but I just dont buty that players like Manu and tim will not squeeze one more playoff run. Not predicting any more trophies for this crew but 10-12 games of good ball is possible. I say 2nd round at least and a tough out ...but i have been wrong the past 2 seasons.

Dallas major improvement from the year before to this one was strictly defensive with Chandler anchoring the paint. There are other minor factors, like Kidd actually making you pay from 3 point land, but overall, the gains for them came on the defensive end.

As far as the offense, as good as Tim and Manu can still be, they're no longer consistently 'unguardable', unlike Dirk who is pretty much a nightmare for anybody in the league.

Again, I think the odds are against us and frankly, I don't see it. But anything can happen out there, and that's why we watch.

lefty
11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Spurs are done since 08

Move along

Winehole23
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
but anything can happen out there, and that's why we watch.+1

Bruno
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Parker just talked about the team forecast in his radio show (in France).
I don't know if there is some truth in this or if it is just a trick to make the impression in France that the Spurs are still an elite team.

Yep, Parker said he was talking about that with Tim and that Spurs were trying to do something big to get better in the paint. I don't think it's just a tease.

Spurs have some good trade assets with Dice's contract and Blair. RJ could be also be traded if Spurs find a taker. The good way to improve the roster is to spend all the money and the trade assets to get better at PF/C. Spurs are fine on the perimeter and they could just fill the rotation with a couple of "Euros" they have been rumored being interested in (Jeremy Pargo and Gelabale).

Leetonidas
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Spurs could probably put up a similar record as last season. They obviously have the tools to be a dominant regular season team with their shooting, but unless we get another big man and a backup PG we're fucked. Timmy is still a pretty good center but he ain't what he used to be. I doubt Manu will be able to replicate his rejuvanated play from last season. If Parker has his best year, which is possible, things might look better. But Leonard needs to become Bowen really fast and Bonner needs to just...I don't know, leave, die, choke on a hoagie, whatever, get this ginger faggot off our team already

DesignatedT
11-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Spurs are done since 08

Move along

Why dont you?

Russo21
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Spurs are totally farked. Holt should sell up now and let some other bastard deal with paying all that salary for no success

DPG21920
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Yep, Parker said he was talking about that with Tim and that Spurs were trying to do something big to get better in the paint. I don't think it's just a tease.

Spurs have some good trade assets with Dice's contract and Blair. RJ could be also be traded if Spurs find a taker. The good way to improve the roster is to spend all the money and the trade assets to get better at PF/C. Spurs are fine on the perimeter and they could just fill the rotation with a couple of "Euros" they have been rumored being interested in (Jeremy Pargo and Gelabale).

I agree with that because Tony is known for his candor with the media which is part of why I appreciate him. If TP says that, it's because it's what is legitimately going on (he is as plugged in as anyone on the Spurs as to what the FO is doing).

Having said that, we all know there is a fine line between wanting to do something and getting something done in the NBA. Just because the Spurs really want to do something, doesn't mean they will find a partner. But as a fan, I am really glad to hear that they are still trying to win as much as possible (for as much as I don't think they are a contender, a big trade along with players stepping up (Tiago/Leonard/Neal/Anderson) could change that slightly). I'm not expecting anything because I understand how hard it is to get a deal done in the NBA, but it's nice to hear.

DPG21920
11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Also, I know the PG pool is weak, but if the Spurs could nab Pargo I would be about as excited as I could get about a low end back up PG option.

Nathan89
11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
No one wants Rj.

TD 21
11-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with that because Tony is known for his candor with the media which is part of why I appreciate him. If TP says that, it's because it's what is legitimately going on (he is as plugged in as anyone on the Spurs as to what the FO is doing).

Having said that, we all know there is a fine line between wanting to do something and getting something done in the NBA. Just because the Spurs really want to do something, doesn't mean they will find a partner. But as a fan, I am really glad to hear that they are still trying to win as much as possible (for as much as I don't think they are a contender, a big trade along with players stepping up (Tiago/Leonard/Neal/Anderson) could change that slightly). I'm not expecting anything because I understand how hard it is to get a deal done in the NBA, but it's nice to hear.

Not to keep harping on the same thing, but if you'd consider Blair/McDyess for Amir Johnson big, then I think they are capable of doing something big (relatively, at least). If they can't or aren't interested in doing that, then I see no trade for a starting power forward occurring. And if that is the case, then I think they'll pursue Clark and McRoberts in free agency, to be the fifth big.

therealtruth
11-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Amir Johnson is a bad contract. He was part of the gm's overpaying last summer. I think it really comes down to defense this season if they want to win. The Spurs had the #1 offense last season. If they get back to defending they can be dangerous. You combine a #1 offense with a #5-#7 defense and they are serious contenders. I think defense should be important in any free agent pickups. And no undersized players. They already have too many with Blair.

SenorSpur
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
It's obvious to anyone remotely familiar with this team that they MUST get better in the paint. The Spurs have been man-handled for two straight years in the postseason (Suns and Grizzlies) and have been rendered powerless to do anything about it. If the Memphis series didn't sound the alarm, then the FO wasn't paying attention.

With Duncan in a downhill performance spiral, and Dice literally at the door of retirement, that only leaves Blair and Tiago - and that simply isn't enough. Of course, that leaves Bonner, who doubles as Pop's red-headed favorite and everybody's whipping boy - and deservedly so. Pop has to finally realize that he cannot continue running Bonner out as this team's first frontline player off the bench. He's overmatched and always has been. As a matter of fact, because of his diminishing returns, this team would be better served with Bonner in a drastically reduced role.

All that said, I'm glad to hear that they are at least considering some options for frontline help - as limited as they may be. Aaron Gray and Earl Clark could be possibles for available, low-cost, low-risk, frontline help. Clark would be my preferred target because he's young and underdeveloped, but has decent skills, intriguing ability and untapped potential.

As for the 2012 forecast, I believe this team will be good enough to secure a playoff spot, but not good enough to sustain a deep playoff run.

Nathan89
11-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I wonder if Eddy Curry worked himself into shape. He was trying play for the Heat last season. Doubtful though I read he was 350pds.

TD 21
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Amir Johnson is a bad contract. He was part of the gm's overpaying last summer. I think it really comes down to defense this season if they want to win. The Spurs had the #1 offense last season. If they get back to defending they can be dangerous. You combine a #1 offense with a #5-#7 defense and they are serious contenders. I think defense should be important in any free agent pickups. And no undersized players. They already have too many with Blair.

He's overpaid, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "bad contract". His numbers won't wow you, but he'd essentially provide what McDyess has, only he's far more athletic/quicker and can actually block shots. He's not exactly ideal, but he's probably as close to ideal as the Spurs can come, given their trade assets and financial situation.

It's not a matter of focus or effort with this team defensively; it's a matter of personnel. If they added Johnson to Splitter, Leonard and Anderson, they'd have more athleticism, length quickness and versatility than they've had in years.

Ice009
11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
He's overpaid, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "bad contract". His numbers won't wow you, but he'd essentially provide what McDyess has, only he's far more athletic/quicker and can actually block shots. He's not exactly ideal, but he's probably as close to ideal as the Spurs can come, given their trade assets and financial situation.

It's not a matter of focus or effort with this team defensively; it's a matter of personnel. If they added Johnson to Splitter, Leonard and Anderson, they'd have more athleticism, length quickness and versatility than they've had in years.

I'm pretty sure that I have read that the Spurs have tried to get Amir Johnson before, a few seasons ago I think it was. I don't think I have even seen him play before. What kind of game does he have?

SenorSpur
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM

^ This.

Now that's a fact!

If Johnson could be had, they should go get him.

TD 21
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that I have read that the Spurs have tried to get Amir Johnson before, a few seasons ago I think it was. I don't think I have even seen him play before. What kind of game does he have?

Strengths: One of the most athletic, high energy bigs in the league. Solid shot blocker and offensive rebounder. Improved free throw and mid range shooter, with range out to 20 feet. Has ideal length and quickness to be a good face up/pick-and-roll/help defender.

Weaknesses: Extremely foul prone and lack strength (the two maybe related). Has trouble defending the post against power players, but battles hard. Is not an adept passer or ball handler.

SenorSpur
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Strengths: One of the most athletic, high energy bigs in the league. Solid shot blocker and offensive rebounder. Improved free throw and mid range shooter, with range out to 20 feet. Has ideal length and quickness to be a good face up/pick-and-roll/help defender.

Weaknesses: Extremely foul prone and lack strength (the two maybe related). Has trouble defending the post against power players, but battles hard. Is not an adept passer or ball handler.

Another possible weakness is that Johnson is considered to have a low BBIQ.

Russo21
11-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Hopefully Tiago has been locked in the weight room all summer long and has put on a good 20 + pounds of pure muscle. That'd be handy :-) Dude got pushed around too much last year, when he was actually on the floor that is.

Fireball
11-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Watching Tiago playing for Valencia nothing indicates he got bulkier ...

George Gervin's Afro
11-29-2011, 06:49 AM
we are a soft, jump shooting team...that's one year older...

7th seed and out in the first round 4-1

spursince#99
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
we are a soft, jump shooting team...that's one year older...

7th seed and out in the first round 4-1

oh ye of little faith. why must you put forth negative criticism towards your favorite team. stupid bastard

Seventyniner
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM

In other words, he'd match up great against PFs like Dirk and Bosh, but get destroyed by Z-Bo and P. Gasol?

I just saw that he's listed as 6'9" and 210 lbs. That seems pretty undersized for a PF to me.

urunobili
11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Playoffs...

GrandeDavid
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that the Spurs have a shot at winning the championship, albeit a fairly long one. The shortened season, the emphasis on the newer players like Splitter and Leonard should instigate some positive change and bring renewed energy. Things would have to go their way from being relatively injury free, getting a favorable early round matchup, peaking at the right time and guys stepping up. Sounds rather generic, but that's what needs to happen. The Spurs certainly have the roster, and I'm also assuming that another decent piece will be added in free agency, but not counting on it. They have the roster, experience, presumably the hunger after last season's playoff embarrassment, and certainly the presence of mind to dig deep knowing that this is Tim Duncan's last championship run. Let's hope that a renewed defensive focus happens, among other things.

Anything can happen!

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2011, 12:41 PM
i think we will win the championship this season...

splitter gettin more minutes

with a solid rotation of the anderson and kawhi on the wing...

sign another backup center...

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll feel a lot better about the Spurs chances, if they can swing a deal to obtain a more formidable frontline player.

spursince#99
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
i'll feel a lot better about the spurs chances, if they can swing a deal to obtain a more formidable frontline player.

^^^this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horse
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
YOu got swept by the mavs cockstain. Now ask yourself would the mavs sweep the Spurs?

Horse
11-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Hell yeah! Best shit I've seen in a while. No way we lose to memphis with a healthy Manu.

TD 21
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
In other words, he'd match up great against PFs like Dirk and Bosh, but get destroyed by Z-Bo and P. Gasol?

I just saw that he's listed as 6'9" and 210 lbs. That seems pretty undersized for a PF to me.

Pretty much, yeah. But here's the thing: McDyess, for all his strength and savvy, got destroyed by Randolph and didn't fare much better against P. Gasol. Not many do. And how many bigs can effectively guard the Nowitzki/Bosh/Stoudemire types and the P.Gasol/Randolph/Aldridge types? Very few and the ones who can the Spurs more than likely can't attain.

In the event the Spurs played the Lakers in the playoffs, they could just start Splitter, have him guard Gasol and have Johnson come off the bench and guard Odom.

But the Lakers aren't head and shoulders above the competition anymore and the Spurs aren't in a position to be overly picky. Their goal is to be 5th-7th defensively. That's not happening with the current roster. Given their need, financial situation and limited trade assets, I don't see how they could do better.

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
thanks for all your comments guys

appreciate it a lot!

go 2012 Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:24 AM
if we get a big and get Nocioni

i even watched Tinsley, and i think he still got game,

why not get Tinsley as back up playmaker?

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:25 AM
i agree that we need to regain our defensive supremacy, the good ol days

therealtruth
11-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Pretty much, yeah. But here's the thing: McDyess, for all his strength and savvy, got destroyed by Randolph and didn't fare much better against P. Gasol. Not many do. And how many bigs can effectively guard the Nowitzki/Bosh/Stoudemire types and the P.Gasol/Randolph/Aldridge types? Very few and the ones who can the Spurs more than likely can't attain.

In the event the Spurs played the Lakers in the playoffs, they could just start Splitter, have him guard Gasol and have Johnson come off the bench and guard Odom.

But the Lakers aren't head and shoulders above the competition anymore and the Spurs aren't in a position to be overly picky. Their goal is to be 5th-7th defensively. That's not happening with the current roster. Given their need, financial situation and limited trade assets, I don't see how they could do better.

Part of the reason Dice got destroyed was Pop wearing him out during the regular season. The Spurs should have stayed with Blair unless they were committing to Splitter. Blair's offense in the starting lineup worked for most of the season with Dice coming in for defense. Another reason Dice was destroyed was that Randolph saved all his energy for offense. He never had to play defense.

SilverSpur
11-30-2011, 08:49 AM

I would rather have it than not.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 01:19 PM
If anyone here has access to ESPN Insider and would be kind enough to read Hollingers report on the Spurs and post a summary that would be nice.

SenorSpur
11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Player Profiles: San Antonio Spurs

PROJECTED STARTERS

TONY PARKER, PG
Projection: 20.3 pts, 3.6 reb, 7.9 ast per 40 min; 18.87 PER | Player card

• Fleet Frenchman who excels at penetrating for short-range floaters and layups.
• Subpar outside shooter. Excels in transition. Drives to score; not a great passer.
• Solid defensive player. Quick and bigger than he looks, but not always engaged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A point guard with the shot chart of a center, Parker led the NBA in shooting percentage from 3-9 feet thanks to his quick floater (see chart), and was one of only a dozen players to make at least 300 field goals at the rim ... an area from which he shot 65.4 percent. On the other hand, his jump shot has made little progress. He made only 25 3-pointers the entire season and shot only 36.9 percent on 2s beyond 10 feet.

Top shooters, 3-9 feet, 2010-11
Player Team Pct.
Tony Parker SA 52.9
Joe Johnson Atl 52.9
Boris Diaw Cha 52.2
Steve Nash Phx 50.5
Dwyane Wade Mia 50.2
Source: Hoopdata.com. Min. 100 attempts

Overall, however, the percentages work out in Parker's favor. He was ninth among point guards in true shooting percentage and his 21.6 points per 40 minutes ranked fifth. More surprisingly, perhaps, is that his distribution numbers were solid too. Maligned at times for his score-first mindset, Parker ranked 17th in pure point rating; his assist ratio was a career high.

Defensively, Parker was just average and has had better seasons. His stats weren't terrible or anything, but at his best he's been a nearly All-Defense caliber performer; last season, he fell well short of that. Either he's lost a half-step at that end or he's not competing with quite the same zeal.

Parker is a Fluke Rule player (see Lamar Odom comment), but unlike the others we shouldn't expect much of a decline this season. For starters, he was 28 years old; 28-year-old Fluke Rulers have gentler declines than those 29 or older. Second, and more importantly, he had attained this PER level before, putting him into a second category of players that have gentler declines from their Fluke Rule seasons. In fact, if you look at his entire career, the real fluke is his 2009-10 season, when he struggled with foot problems. While it's always dangerous to bet on speed players when they get into their late 20s, I don't foresee much slippage in Parker's immediate future.

MANU GINOBILI, SG
Projection: 21.5 pts, 5.0 reb, 6.0 ast per 40 min; 20.55 PER | Player card

• Left-handed pick-and-roll maestro. Excels at slashing to basket for fouls.
• Daring passer with great court vision. Good finisher. Likes step-back set shot.
• Very good rebounder. Vastly underrated defender with quick hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though more renowned for his embellishments on drives to the rim, Ginobili played just as large a role as a passer last season. He effectively served as the Spurs' point guard when he checked in, leading all shooting guards in pure point rating and averaging 6.5 dimes per 40 minutes. When he wasn't dishing, he carved up defenses with his slashes to the basket. Ginobili was fifth among shooting guards in free throw attempts per field goal attempt and made 87.1 percent from the line, a 1-2 punch that helped him average 23.0 points per 40 minutes with one of the best true shooting percentages among wing players.

Ginobili isn't as strong with the jumper; his 3-pointer is juuuuust accurate enough to keep defenses honest, making 34.9 percent last season and 37.1 percent for his career. Similarly, he took a lot of long 2s last season but made 40.3 percent -- respectable, but hardly threatening. It's all the fouls he draws along the way that makes him so potent, including a bunch on fake jumpers; as with Dwyane Wade, he routinely gets defenders to bite on the fake even though that's the shot they want to him to take.

Ginobili is one of the league's most underrated defensive players. He once again had an excellent on-court vs. off-court differential, as the Spurs gave up 5.53 points per 100 possessions less with him on the court. Additionally he had very strong Synergy numbers, and he was fifth among shooting guards in steals per minute. While the Spurs rarely had him check top scorers to preserve his energy, he's long for a wing and competes.

If he had a weakness, it was simply how long he played. San Antonio bumped him up to 30.3 minutes a game last season, but it's still amazingly few for a player of this caliber. Ginobili has posted a PER above 20 for seven straight seasons but only averaged 30 minutes a game in two of them; as a result he's still never averaged 20 points per game in an NBA season.

There's a reason for that -- with all the pounding he takes they're trying to keep him in one piece until the playoffs. Ginobili had missed at least five games in every NBA season until last season, when he played 80. One presumes he'll only play about 2,200 minutes again this season. But for those minutes, only two shooting guards in the league will be better.

RICHARD JEFFERSON, SF
Projection: 13.9 pts, 5.2 reb, 1.9 ast per 40 min; 11.73 PER | Player card

• Athletic wing who has lost some explosiveness. Good scorer around rim.
• Good first step to right but a weak ballhandler. Can make corner 3s off catch.
• Solid defensive player. Good size and moves well. Declining rebounder.

Jefferson changed how he played last season, shooting far more often off the catch as a spot-up 3-point shooter. Nearly half his shots were 3s and he made 44 percent -- enough to rank fourth among small forwards in true shooting percentage. A high free throw rate also helped; despite all the 3s Jefferson was in the top third of small forwards in that category, a skill he's had his whole career thanks to his explosive drives to the basket. Those were more rare, but productive when they came.

Break down his season, however, and what stands out is his incredibly shrinking role. Jefferson's scoring average dropped every month from October to March, despite consistent minutes, and in the final four games against Memphis he scored a grand total of 10 points in 106 minutes. His percentages hardly budged; he just stopped getting shots.

Jefferson has lost some athleticism, with his declining rebound rate the latest in a series of signs, but he did a solid job defensively. Opposing small forwards had an 11.1 PER against him according to 82games.com, and Synergy graded him in the top quarter of small forwards. Combined with the 3s, that made him a solid fifth starter but nothing more; with $30 million due his way over the next three years, he's an expensive luxury and a likely amnesty candidate.

DeJUAN BLAIR, PF
Projection: 17.4 pts, 13.3 reb, 2.1 ast per 40 min; 18.43 PER | Player card

• Short, heavy frontcourt player with surprising athleticism. Great rebounder.
• Conditioning and knee injuries are concerns. Poor outside shooter.
• Lack of size a major impediment on defense. Decent mobility and strong.

Blair was very effective around the basket and on the offensive boards, but he played his way out of the starting lineup anyway because he was such a defensive liability.

The numbers show why; Blair's defensive stats are scary, and not in a good way. According to 82games.com, opposing power forwards lit him up for a 21.3 PER; at center, where he played more than a third of his minutes, it was 24.3. The Spurs gave up 3.06 points per 100 possessions more with Blair on the court, according to basketballvalue.com, and Synergy Stats weren't too keen on his play either. Oddly, he led all power forwards in steals per minute, but that may have been part of the problem -- too much reaching and not enough fundamental defense.

Once he went to the bench, Blair clearly started pressing; at times it seemed he was trying to make a six-point play every time he caught the ball. Nonetheless, he finished the season with excellent numbers. Blair led all power forwards in offensive rebound rate, hit 50.1 percent from the floor and shot less abysmally from the line than the year before.

However he couldn't space the floor, making only 28.7 percent from beyond 10 feet, and he was too sloppy with the ball. Only seven power forwards had a worse turnover ratio than Blair, which is indefensible given that his job description mostly involved collecting the ball off the rim and putting it back up.

Blair reportedly ballooned to over 300 pounds during the course of last season and clearly needs to improve his conditioning; doing so would likely help remove the target on his back at the defensive end, too. He's a solid bench player even if he doesn't improve, but between his inability to space the floor and his struggles on D, he's not a starter on a contending team.

TIM DUNCAN, C
Projection: 18.5 pts, 12.4 reb, 3.4 ast per 40 min; 21.27 PER | Player card

• Low-post technician with midrange bank shot and variety of short hooks.
• Has defensive value due to smarts and very long arms, but has lost quickness.
• Good rebounder. Smart, team-oriented player. Improved foul shooter.

Duncan had the worst offensive season of his career as he continues to evolve into more of a secondary offensive option, but it's amazing to see how much defensive value he retains. While he doesn't have the mobility of his younger days, Duncan's length and savvy still make him among the game's best defensive centers. The Spurs gave up 7.00 points per 100 possessions less with Duncan on the floor and he had the best Synergy rating of the team's rotation players. Plus, Duncan finished ninth among centers in blocks per minute, seventh in defensive rebound rate, and had the lowest foul rate of any center. With his knees feeling better, he also was stronger in pick-and-roll coverage than he'd been a year earlier.

Offensively, however, he averaged only 19.0 points per 40 minute and nearly set a career low in true shooting percentage. Duncan's line-drive, spinning-off-its-axis shot has become more accurate, as he made 39.6 percent of his deliveries beyond 10 feet and shot 71.6 percent from the line -- respectable numbers from a 7-footer. His length still makes him a great finisher at the rim (71.7 percent) but he can't get there as often, which is why his percentages sank overall. He's taking care of the ball at least, finishing seventh among centers in pure point rating.

Perhaps the biggest change, however, is in his playing time. Duncan played only 28.2 minutes per game even though he was hardly ever in foul trouble. This likely helped his numbers bounce back on a per-minute basis, but it also diminished his big-picture impact. Even last season he played at an All-Star caliber level when he was on the court; he's just doing it for increasingly brief stretches.

RESERVES

TIAGO SPLITTER, C
Projection: 14.3 pts, 10.7 reb, 1.5 ast per 40 min; 14.94 PER | Player card

• Big low-post center who likes to play physical. Good finisher. Decent athlete.
• Solid rebounder. Limited perimeter game. Makes awkward-looking hook shot.
• Tough but needs to learn NBA defense. Has size to play center. Draws fouls.

Splitter had trouble working his way into the Spurs' rotation as a rookie, mostly because he was an odd fit next to Tim Duncan in the frontcourt, but he was effective when he played and should be in line for a big jump in minutes this season.

Splitter can hit short-range hook shots, but he was almost strictly a dunks and layups guy last season. He shot 69.4 percent at the rim but only 30 percent from beyond three feet. He also struggled at the line, making 54.3 percent, which wasted his propensity for drawing fouls.

Defensively, he was active enough to rank fourth among centers in steals per minute, but he didn't block many shots or show great mobility. His statistical data conflict -- Synergy gave him sparkling marks but 82games.com says opposing centers had an 18.8 PER against him. Subjectively, he seemed a step slow in his help defense and that may have been a factor in his limited playing time.

The other factor, of course, is that he doesn't space the floor, which means it's difficult to pair him in the frontcourt with Duncan or DeJuan Blair. Somehow, I suspect this year they'll figure out a way, because he's too good to leave on the pine. If Antonio McDyess sticks to his retirement plans they may have no choice.

ANTONIO McDYESS, PF
Projection: 10.0 pts, 11.0 reb, 1.8 ast per 40 min; 11.91 PER | Player card

• Jump shooting big man who sets up around free throw line. Rarely attacks.
• Can still jump vertically but needs time to gather. Average rebounder.
• Rarely creates own offense. Challenged to guard mobile 4s.

McDyess said he was retiring after the playoff loss to Memphis, but postponed a deadline for the Spurs to waive him until the start of free agency ... so there's a possibility he'll be back.

If so, one has to imagine it will be in a more minor role. McDyess rebounded well but had a limited offensive impact, with the midrange jumper being his hallmark. From his perch at the high post he made 43 percent of his shots beyond 10 feet. But in 73 games he only made 67 baskets inside 10 feet, and averaged only 11.4 points per 40 minutes.

That's pretty similar to McDyess' 2009-10 campaign, but last season he appeared a half-step slower defensively as well, especially against floor-spacing 4s. Opposing forwards had an 18.3 PER against him according to 82games.com, while Synergy didn't give him high marks either.

MATT BONNER, PF
Projection: 13.3 pts, 7.1 reb, 1.8 ast per 40 min; 13.61 PER | Player card

• Ruggedly built 3-point marksman with high-arcing launch off shoulder.
• Not a creator, but can shoot runners off dribble. No post game. Rarely rebounds.
• Good size but unathletic. Won't block shots. Struggles in pick-and-roll defense.

Bonner's potency as a floor-spacing big man is incredibly valuable, but he's starting to veer into James Jones territory in terms of his one-dimensionality. Nearly two-third of his shots were 3s and he nailed 45.7 percent of them -- no problem there. He also finished second among power forwards in true shooting percentage, and because he was shooting off the catch so much he had the second-lowest turnover ratio. Bonner is a good passer, too, who ranked 15th at his position in assist ratio and fifth in pure point rating even though he rarely penetrated.

All that efficiency is great, but it would help if he made a few more plays. Bonner was only 64th out of 70 power forwards in usage rate and 66th in rebound rate. Despite his accuracy, he averaged only 13.4 points per minute, a big reason he had his lowest PER in three years. He's been nearly as efficient in other seasons, but in 2010-11 the lack of quantity offset some of the quality.

Defensively, Bonner has improved in his time in San Antonio. He won't rebound or block shots but he gets to the right spots and is strong enough to hold his position on the block. I would still place him below the median power forward, but he's not far off.

GARY NEAL, SG
Projection: 17.7 pts, 4.5 reb, 2.4 ast per 40 min; 12.40 PER | Player card

• Sweet-shooting guard who can score off catch or dribble. Rarely draws fouls.
• Has some ball skills and can run pick-and-roll. Good rebounder.
• Not a great athlete and can be exposed defensively. Undersized for the 2.

Neal was a Cinderella story last season, coming from nowhere to earn a guaranteed contract after lighting up the summer league and then playing a key role in the Spurs' march to the league's best record. Neal was instant offense, making 41.9 percent of his 3s, and he launched enough of them to average a robust 18.6 points per 40 minutes. His key was that he was as good off the dribble as on the catch, allowing him to run some pick-and-roll and create offense for himself. While he's not a good passer and hardly ever draws fouls, his jumper was so deadly that it made him a strong offensive threat -- in addition to the 3s, Neal hit 47.3 percent of his 2s beyond 10 feet, and most off those were off the dribble.

Defensively, Neal has a good body and rebounds well for his size, but his lack of athleticism was a major negative. Out of 66 shooting guards, he was 63rd in both blocks and steals per minute and had the 10th-worst foul rate. The Spurs gave up 6.27 points per 100 possessions more when he was on the court, while Synergy Stats placed him near the very bottom of the shooting guard heap.

His defense will likely improve a bit with NBA experience, but Neal's defense still may prevent him from becoming a starter. As long as he keeps raining in jump shots, however, he'll be a very effective bench player ... and another great find by the Spurs' front office.

CHRIS QUINN, PG (FREE AGENT -- UNRESTRICTED)
No projection | Player card

• Slow, low-mistake point guard who is often mistaken for ballboy.
• Good outside shooter off catch or dribble. Struggles to create offense.
• Very poor defensive player. Can't stop penetration. Limited athleticism.

Quinn wasn't very mighty in his brief run as the Spurs' backup point guard; in 292 minutes he shot 36.3 percent and was routinely abused by quick guards. He's a passable third point guard if he is making shots, which he didn't a year ago, because he can run an offense and space the floor. But he can't create shots and defensively is ripe for abuse. He'll catch on someplace next season, but from this point forward his career may be measured in 10-day increments.

STEVE NOVAK, SG (FREE AGENT -- UNRESTRICTED)

• Deadly accurate 3-point shooter off catch. Has few other recommendable skills.
• Subpar athlete who is routinely torched defensively. Must be hidden on defense.

Novak played 30 games for Dallas and San Antonio and did his usual drill, making 25 of 46 3-pointers and all eight free throw attempts. He's among the best shooters in captivity, a 41.7 percent career 3-point shooter, yet is unplayable except in end-of-quarter offensive situations because his defense is so poor and he doesn't create shots for himself.

DANNY GREEN, G

• Unathletic wing with good outside shot. Fundamental defender.
• Good rebounder for size. High scoring rate for a jump shooter. Weak handle.

Green played only 92 minutes, but in his limited pro time has shown an ability to score at a solid clip and rebound very well for a 6-6 shooting guard. It's been a similar story in the minors. In 16 games in the D-League, Green shot 44.1 percent on 3s and had a strong Rebound Rate for his size. While he didn't wow with his ballhandling or defense, he showed he could score by averaging better than a point every two minutes.

Green is 24 and isn't any kind of rising star, but he's played well in his chances at every level. Don't be shocked if he emerges as a rotation player within the next two years.

JAMES ANDERSON, SG

• Long-armed wing with decent athleticism. Good spot-up shooter.
• Can slash to basket. Has scorer's mentality. Very poor rebounder as rookie.

Anderson played only 26 games due to a stress fracture in his right foot. While we don't have a big enough sample size to conclude much of anything, his play was similar to how he was advertised: A good 3-point shooter, a decent athlete, and an average ballhandler. The lone surprise was his awful rebound rate; he did well on the boards in college.

KAWHI LEONARD, F

• Long-armed combo forward with huge hands. Excellent rebounder in college.
• Athletic finisher but jump shot a question mark. Decent ballhandler.
• Length should be advantage on defense. Will have to add strength to play 4.

A tweener who has drawn Shawn Marion comparisons due to his leaping and length, Leonard slipped in the draft partly over concerns over his position. He's not much of an outside shooter, but needs to bulk up to play the 4.

The nice thing is that he should be a quality defender from Day 1, meaning that the Spurs can put him on the court with the second unit and let him develop. Leonard's upside as a 3 is significantly higher than the 4 so that's likely where he'll be tried out first, and if he can make a few jump shots he has a chance to be another draft-day steal for San Antonio.

DAVIS BERTANS, F

• Tall wing with great shooting stroke. Long, skinny frame. Needs muscle.
• Can handle ball but not a great athlete. Aggressive, competitive player.
• Will struggle on defensive end. Needs to show he can guard NBA wings.

A classic Euro-stash pick by the team that has turned this into an art form, Bertans is a sweet-shooting Latvian who needs to improve his shot selection and defense but offers a lot of upside offensively. He's 6-10 and has 3-point range, and has much better feel and ballhandling skills than a lot of Europeans. His lack of muscle probably consigns him to playing the wing, however, and in terms of lateral movement he'll be hard-pressed to keep up at the defensive end. His length should give him some wiggle room, however, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a big impact with his offensive skills a few years down the road.

ADAM HANGA, G

• Slender, athletic Hungarian wing. Uses quickness to get points near basket.
• Shaky shooter and ballhandler. Lacks great offensive instincts. Short arms.

Something of a Sasha Pavlovic clone but with a worse jumper, Hanga joins the Spurs' massive European roster and will be playing in Spain this year. The hope is that he can evolve as a slasher and defender to the point that he'll be a useful NBA player, because he has the athleticism to play in the league.

San Antonio's Euro-stash strategy enters its second decade having already paid major dividends in the past (Manu Ginobili, Tiago Splitter, and the eventually traded Luis Scola), and the Spurs continue to milk it heavily. The Spurs now have eight players in Europe whose rights it owns, all of whom were drafted 40th or later. One of them, Nando de Colo, looks like a real player, and a couple others (most notably Davis Bertans) could still evolve into useful assets.

CORY JOSEPH, G

• Quick combo guard who can get to basket and score. Average shooter.
• More of a 2 than a 1; drives to score and not pass. Solid build but short for a 2.
• Offers good defensive potential. Not a great athlete but good lateral quickness.

Joseph was a surprise first-round pick after a one-and-done campaign at Texas, where he was solid but hardly spectacular. Joseph shot very well on 3s (41.3 percent) but struggled at the line (67.5 percent), given the small sample size of both, the truth on his shooting ability is likely someplace in between.

It's clear the Spurs see him as the new George Hill, which is one reason they traded the old one, but compared to Hill he's not as far along defensively and not as good a shooter. The hope is that he can make up for it by being a better creator and distributor, but he'll likely need seasoning first and could spend much of the year in the D-League honing his point guard instincts. If so, it will be familiar digs -- the Spurs' affiliate is in Austin, where Joseph played collegiately.

Fireball
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks SenorSpur !!!

SenorSpur
11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

I don't get where it is written where fans of a team are not allowed to "constructively" criticize his/her team.

Just because someone proclaims that the team is no longer a viable contender, doesn't necessarily make them any less of a fan than someone who proclaims that they still are. It's just an opinion - an opinion, by the way, that was also shared publically stated by one Tony Parker.

For anyone who has watched this team get routed in consecutive playoff series the past 2 postseasons, those dismal performances would make any objective observer believe that the Spurs time as a contender has passed. A decline which has paralleled the decline of the greatest PF of all time - Tim Duncan.

This year may present one final opportunity to try and win a title. However, unless the FO can somehow make a move to acquire a bonafide frontline player to help offset the decline of Duncan, we'll be watching yet another failed postseason.

That doesn't mean the Spurs will not be a good team or a team that isn't capable of regular success or even making the playoffs. However, let's not kid ourselves. It's not about regular success or making the playoffs. In Spurs Nation, it's all about winning championships.

The FO has already started to address this decline by beginning a "rebuild on-the-fly" project that is going pretty well. However, without an all-world superstar player, the caliber of Duncan, it will be pretty hard.

Seventyniner
11-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the post, SenorSpur.

Given that Neal is undersized for SG and doesn't defend SGs well (according to the stats), does anyone think we'll see more of a Manu/Neal backcourt when Tony sits, with Manu doing most of the ball-handling? That would leave a hole at starting SG, though, that James Anderson isn't good enough yet to fill.

That profile also says that Bonner is a slightly-below-average defender instead of the turnstile we call him around here. Is this just a stat-head looking at numbers and no tape, or frustrated low BBIQ fans (of which I am one) looking for someone to pile the hate onto?

TimmehC
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Jefferson's defensive PER is more than a little puzzling. He didn't appear to be anything more than serviceable on that end.

lurker23
11-30-2011, 03:37 PM
That profile also says that Bonner is a slightly-below-average defender instead of the turnstile we call him around here. Is this just a stat-head looking at numbers and no tape, or frustrated low BBIQ fans (of which I am one) looking for someone to pile the hate onto?

I'm conflicted- can I say both?

I've always considered Hollinger exactly what you just described- a guy who loves stats so much that he'd rather defend them than admit that they sometimes tell a lie. He tries to mold reality to fit his stats, and not the other way around.

However, I do think that many people on this board underrate Bonner's defense, and I have been saying so for quite a while. I'm not saying he's going to be on any All-Defense teams any time soon; in fact, I think Hollinger's analysis is about right- he's near-average or slightly below average among PFs.

I think Bonner's defense often takes a beating for two primary reasons- he's not flashy, and he's put in a position to fail far too frequently. On the flashy side of it, he doesn't get many blocks or steals, nor does he out-muscle or out-man some of the bigger players in the league. However, his positioning is usually very good, and he makes guys shoot from 5+ feet out more often than you'd think. Problem is, with no real threat of the shot being blocked, opposing players make those shots at a higher clip than you'd otherwise expect.

The other major problem is that he's put in a position to fail, i.e.- Pop puts him against the opposing team's best or second best offensive big man, something that should almost never be done. Guys like Bonner should almost always defend the opposing team's bench, and in rare circumstances their 2nd best big. However, with Pop's current uses and rotations of Bonner, he has to defend talented players more often, and therefore gets lit up more frequently than other guys at his same skill level.

Seventyniner
11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm conflicted- can I say both?

I've always considered Hollinger exactly what you just described- a guy who loves stats so much that he'd rather defend them than admit that they sometimes tell a lie. He tries to mold reality to fit his stats, and not the other way around.

However, I do think that many people on this board underrate Bonner's defense, and I have been saying so for quite a while. I'm not saying he's going to be on any All-Defense teams any time soon; in fact, I think Hollinger's analysis is about right- he's near-average or slightly below average among PFs.

I think Bonner's defense often takes a beating for two primary reasons- he's not flashy, and he's put in a position to fail far too frequently. On the flashy side of it, he doesn't get many blocks or steals, nor does he out-muscle or out-man some of the bigger players in the league. However, his positioning is usually very good, and he makes guys shoot from 5+ feet out more often than you'd think. Problem is, with no real threat of the shot being blocked, opposing players make those shots at a higher clip than you'd otherwise expect.

The other major problem is that he's put in a position to fail, i.e.- Pop puts him against the opposing team's best or second best offensive big man, something that should almost never be done. Guys like Bonner should almost always defend the opposing team's bench, and in rare circumstances their 2nd best big. However, with Pop's current uses and rotations of Bonner, he has to defend talented players more often, and therefore gets lit up more frequently than other guys at his same skill level.

I appreciate the response, it's pretty well thought-out. I guess it's the curse of Bonner-too-high-up-the-depth-chart once again. He's a good 4th big man, but when he gets too many minutes we see this pattern.

Fireball
11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I appreciate the response, it's pretty well thought-out. I guess it's the curse of Bonner-too-high-up-the-depth-chart once again. He's a good 4th big man, but when he gets too many minutes we see this pattern.

That really is the problem. It hard to judge Bonners recent playoff performance on defense when he had to play against one of the best front courts in the NBA ...

dylankerouac
11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, since he keeps guarding the best lets hope practice makes perfect. That's one good thing about him guarding starters, hopefully he gets better.

Interrohater
11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Has everyone given up on Ryan Richards? Not having a Summer League really sucked because I thought he'd be able to play, but hopefully he can get into training camp. He's got great size and a nice stroke, but he seems hard pressed to stay on a team. Project Spurs showed him scoring a double double in a win earlier this month, but other than that, I haven't heard much about him.

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Has everyone given up on Ryan Richards? Not having a Summer League really sucked because I thought he'd be able to play, but hopefully he can get into training camp. He's got great size and a nice stroke, but he seems hard pressed to stay on a team. Project Spurs showed him scoring a double double in a win earlier this month, but other than that, I haven't heard much about him.

He's playing in a league in Switzerland that is several levels below the NBA. He won't be a Spur anytime soon. Maybe a Toro in 2012.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2011, 05:26 PM

:pop:

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks Senor

DesignatedT
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
:pop:

You don't? You'd rather lose this season?

I thought you might have a new shtick to go with this season but nope. Same old I see.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
You don't? You'd rather lose this season?

I thought you might have a new shtick to go with this season but nope. Same old I see.

Sorry, there's not an icon for me yet. No fucking clue where you assume that I wouldn't want the Spurs to win another title, but nice to see you haven't gained any brain cells while I was away.

DesignatedT
11-30-2011, 07:30 PM
:lol

Obstructed_View
11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
So just to clarify, yes I would love any kind of title. The '99 title means more to me as a fan than all the others. I'm sure you and Pop (and every other Spurs fan in their right mind) would agree that there's no downside to winning a title in any season. Sorry for not being more clear, I was just trying to be funny.

TD 21
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Part of the reason Dice got destroyed was Pop wearing him out during the regular season. The Spurs should have stayed with Blair unless they were committing to Splitter. Blair's offense in the starting lineup worked for most of the season with Dice coming in for defense. Another reason Dice was destroyed was that Randolph saved all his energy for offense. He never had to play defense.

He averaged 19 mpg in 73 games. How much more rest did he need?

They shouldn't have stayed with Blair. He can't shoot or defend and was often trying to do too much. Their only shot was going to be with McDyess or Splitter starting and the other being the third big.

It's true that Randolph was able to save all his energy for offense. Nevertheless, when they were banging down low, McDyess couldn't stop Randolph from getting to where he wanted to go.

The reality is, the Spurs can't defend mobile or power bigs. At least Johnson would give them an answer to the former and they wouldn't have to play 4-on-5 on offense.

MaNu4Tres
12-01-2011, 08:19 PM
He averaged 19 mpg in 73 games. How much more rest did he need?

They shouldn't have stayed with Blair. He can't shoot or defend and was often trying to do too much. Their only shot was going to be with McDyess or Splitter starting and the other being the third big.

It's true that Randolph was able to save all his energy for offense. Nevertheless, when they were banging down low, McDyess couldn't stop Randolph from getting to where he wanted to go.

The reality is, the Spurs can't defend mobile or power bigs. At least Johnson would give them an answer to the former and they wouldn't have to play 4-on-5 on offense.

I agree with everything you just posted except for the Johnson assumption. What makes you certain that he can defend at a high level or adequately? Just because he's somewhat athletic? Reason being, the times I've watched him I've been less than impressed.

TD 21
12-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I agree with everything you just posted except for the Johnson assumption. What makes you certain that he can defend at a high level or adequately? Just because he's somewhat athletic? Reason being, the times I've watched him I've been less than impressed.

I'm not saying he's an All-defensive team caliber defender, but I'm confident that he can defend mobile bigs better than any big currently on the roster. It's not just his physical tools, he's active and competes hard. And he's more like freakishly athletic than "somewhat athletic".

The times I saw the Raptors play last season, he was probably their best all around player. He's not the type of player who would wow you (though he does have the odd impressive highlight, due to his athleticism), he's just solid. I'm not saying he's some savior or a cure to all of their problems, but he'd be a nice addition.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, Amir had a lot of good moments last season. He took a step forward IMO. Not a star, but looks like a solid player defensively.

MaNu4Tres
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm not saying he's an All-defensive team caliber defender, but I'm confident that he can defend mobile bigs better than any big currently on the roster.

:lol That's not saying much.

And he's athletic I agree, not freakishly athletic though IMO.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not saying he took a big step forward or anything either. But to me, when I watched him, something seem to click. It seemed to slow down for him. He probably didn't block as many shots or have an increase in steals, but he seemed to foul less and defend on the ball much better. He took care of the ball a bit more on offense and made better decisions. Nothing crazy major, but I thought he looked like a better player.

TD 21
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
:lol That's not saying much.

And he's athletic I agree, not freakishly athletic though IMO.

Still. Is it about improving the team or about nitpicking every player? Johnson is a better fit to start at power forward than any big on the roster, is improving and makes an amount that is reasonable to expect the Spurs to allot to their starting power forward. As you've probably seen me say many times, find me a better option given their situation, financially/trade asset wise.

Fine, but he's closer to freakishly athletic than somewhat athletic.

DPG, the one obvious and quantifiable improvement, was in his range shooting. He really improved from the line and from mid range. He now has range out to 20 feet.

therealtruth
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM
My point was either Pop should have stayed with Blair because that worked most of the season or he should have gone with a Duncan-Splitter-Dice rotation. Instead by inserting Dice in the starting lineup Pop messed up the chemistry and rotations. We started getting more Bonner/Blair lineups that were disastrous. As bad as Blair was on defense it was countered by the other starters. He played active defense with his hands that lead to transition opportunities.

therealtruth
12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
If you play good fundamental individual defense and team defense you don't need anyone freakishly athletic. Duncan's never been a super athletic defender but he's been able to defend mobile bigs. Stoudemire averaged 37 against him in '05 but they still won. You don't need somebody with tons of athleticism to play good defense. If anything in the West you need reallly need bigs that have size to go against Bynum/Gasol/Odom.

MaNu4Tres
12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Still. Is it about improving the team or about nitpicking every player? Johnson is a better fit to start at power forward than any big on the roster, is improving and makes an amount that is reasonable to expect the Spurs to allot to their starting power forward. As you've probably seen me say many times, find me a better option given their situation, financially/trade asset wise.

Not nitpicking sir. And I never said he's not an improvement. I'm just not convinced about his defense that is all.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I just want Dec 9th to get here.

crc21209
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I just want Dec 9th to get here.

+1. It'll get here fast my friend. :tu One thing's for sure, that first day of free agency and training camps is going to be a crazy ass time.....

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Yessir. Can't wait, it could be a whacky first two weeks.

crc21209
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
I think players are going to be flying off the free agent shelves pretty fast this year, seeing as they and the teams want to get all the players into training camp ASAP. I fully expect the majority of the bigger name FA's to be signed within the first 3 days of free agency....

Spurs Brazil
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM
By Fran Blinebury, NBA.com
Posted Nov 30 2011 10:26AM - Updated Dec 2 2011 9:43AM

2010-11 record: 61-21

Finish: First in Southwest Division

Playoffs: Lost to Memphis in Western Conference first round (4-2)

Strengths: Institutional knowledge is the term that coach Gregg Popovich likes to use. The Spurs have it in spades. The core of Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker has won more games than any other NBA team over the past decade and knows what it takes to play at a high level. Meanwhile Pop will keep the focus on the details, especially at the defensive end. The Big Three is aging, but still effective when healthy.

Challenges: After two seasons, it's pretty clear the Richard Jefferson experiment is a flop, but they're stuck owing him $31 million for three more seasons. It's a huge hole that has to be filled and that's where rookie Kawhi Leonard could be needed to contribute immediately. They'll also need more at both ends from Tiago Splitter in his second season.

Outlook: More than four years removed from their last championship (2007), the veteran Spurs (Duncan, 35; Ginobili, 34; Parker, 29) looked worn down and worn out in the stunning upset playoff loss to the Grizzlies. The Big Three still have the ability and punch to get the Spurs into the upper half of the playoff bracket, but they can no longer be expected to do it all every night. Unless the supporting cast can carry more of the weight, the elite contending days are over and the curtain falls on an era of greatness in San Antonio.

This could make a difference: Popovich often said no player he's coached ever made the improvement of George Hill in his first two NBA seasons. Yet the Spurs traded Hill to Indiana on draft night for the rights to Leonard. Yes, they were that desperate. At No. 15, Leonard is the highest draft pick since Duncan in 1997 and it might not be overstating the case too much to say the direction of the season is in his hands. If he can hit the corner jumper, rebound, defend and somehow force his way into the Rookie of the Year conversation, the Spurs could challenge the Mavs, Lakers and Thunder in the West again.

http://www.nba.com/news/features/2011-southwest-preview/index.html

Fireball
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
On the one hand I like these team analyses, but on the other hand they could wait another three weeks until all trades are made and free agents are signed.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Here is the Sports Illustrated preview:

SAN ANTONIO SPURS:

What they’ve got: San Antonio is hoping to get one more ring out of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. While they looked like eventual world champs during a 57-13 start last season, their six-game upset at the hands of the Grizzlies in the first round might have marked the end of an era.

What they need: The Spurs need to figure out the fate of small forward Richard Jefferson and power forward Antonio McDyess. Even if they don’t use the amnesty provision on Jefferson (three years and $30.5 million remaining), the clause makes it easier to move him; his contract would be seen as an expiring one. McDyess hinted at retirement at the end of last season, but has not said definitely what he will do. Rookie forward Kawhi Leonard, out of San Diego State, will help but not enough to offset the loss of guard George Hill, who was traded to the Pacers in June.

Bottom line: The Spurs will win on most nights, but they won’t win it all. Amick’s observations are cogent and his bottom line is kind of a barometer about what the national media is thinking about the Spurs.
Namely, expect a strong winning season, but don’t be surprised if we see the same kind of ending for the Spurs in the playoffs that has resulted in first-round ousters in two of the last three seasons.

EDIT: Since teams can only use the amnesty rule on players which they originally signed it does not get easier to trade RJ. That seems to be a mistake by SI.

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 01:11 AM
The more time I've had to think about it, the more I really think acquiring Al Jefferson is the way to go if possible. I think if the Spurs do that, they can be a much more talented version of the Grizzlies and here's why:

1) Al Jefferson when healthy is a top 5 PF with regards to scoring. He has a pretty elite post game, can shoot from about 15 feet and is a solid rebounder. He would be playing the role of Zach Randolph and when healthy, Al is a better defender than Zach (given, that is not saying much)

2) Tim even though he has declined, still is highly effective overall on defense. He would be playing the Marc Gasol role on both sides of the ball. With Al to take the scoring load off of Tim, he will be free to anchor the defense, rebound at an elite level and he is an excellent passer on offense as well so you can run through him still.

3) The reason I say the Spurs would be a more talented version of the Grizz is because Al Jefferson/Tim would at worst equal Zbo/Gasol if they are healthy. The difference in talent lies with TP/Manu vs Conley/Allen. Both TP and Manu are above average defenders, and clearly superior on offense to Conley/Allen on most nights. Even though MEM meshes well, on pure talent, the Spurs backcourt has the overall advantage, even though you would say that Conley/Allen are better defensively than TP/Manu. But it's close enough to draw the comparison and with TP/Manu both being above average defenders, that is good enough.

4) Obviously the big advantage in the comparison with MEM vs SAS in this is at SF. With having Rudy Gay/Shane Battier (if he stays)/Sam Young, MEM can really crank up the defense at SF and with Rudy they have an excellent scorer at the position. If Leonard/Anderson can step up and/or the Spurs can sign a nice glue guy SF in FA, that gap can be closed enough to where I feel the Spurs can be built similar to the Grizz but have more talent bc Tim/Manu/TP/Al is overall a little superior to Zbo/Gasol/Gay/Conley.

That is why I believe getting Al Jefferson would be a pretty excellent thing to do at this point. How realistic that is remains to be seen, but since he would come via trade vs FA, I feel it is a little bit more realistic than getting a Nene type player.

TD 21
12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with most of what you said. Granted, Jefferson has not been the same player since his knee injury and Randolph has seemingly gone up a level (though the fact that he was playing for his final big contract last season had to have helped), but there isn't a massive gap between the two and Jefferson is 4 years younger and has only 2 seasons left on his contract.

He'd obviously improve their chances of contending for what's likely the final 2 seasons of Duncan's and Ginobili's careers, but he would also serve as a building block going forward. Like it or not, it seems as if they intend to attempt to remain competitive post Duncan/Ginobili. And a Parker/Anderson/Leonard/Jefferson/Splitter/Neal core, would likely do just that.

He's a sub par defender, but pair him with Duncan/Splitter and put him on a team that focuses on defense and there's no reason that he can't be a neutral defender. He'll always struggle guarding the Nowitzki/Bosh/Stoudemire types, but at least instead of getting destroyed by them and giving them a break on defense, they'd have to guard one of the best low post scorers in the game, which at least would take away some of their energy on offense. The other thing he'd allow them to do is flat out sit out Duncan some games and manage his workload throughout not just the regular season, but the playoffs.

Ice009
12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
The more time I've had to think about it, the more I really think acquiring Al Jefferson is the way to go if possible. I think if the Spurs do that, they can be a much more talented version of the Grizzlies and here's why:

1) Al Jefferson when healthy is a top 5 PF with regards to scoring. He has a pretty elite post game, can shoot from about 15 feet and is a solid rebounder. He would be playing the role of Zach Randolph and when healthy, Al is a better defender than Zach (given, that is not saying much)

2) Tim even though he has declined, still is highly effective overall on defense. He would be playing the Marc Gasol role on both sides of the ball. With Al to take the scoring load off of Tim, he will be free to anchor the defense, rebound at an elite level and he is an excellent passer on offense as well so you can run through him still.

3) The reason I say the Spurs would be a more talented version of the Grizz is because Al Jefferson/Tim would at worst equal Zbo/Gasol if they are healthy. The difference in talent lies with TP/Manu vs Conley/Allen. Both TP and Manu are above average defenders, and clearly superior on offense to Conley/Allen on most nights. Even though MEM meshes well, on pure talent, the Spurs backcourt has the overall advantage, even though you would say that Conley/Allen are better defensively than TP/Manu. But it's close enough to draw the comparison and with TP/Manu both being above average defenders, that is good enough.

4) Obviously the big advantage in the comparison with MEM vs SAS in this is at SF. With having Rudy Gay/Shane Battier (if he stays)/Sam Young, MEM can really crank up the defense at SF and with Rudy they have an excellent scorer at the position. If Leonard/Anderson can step up and/or the Spurs can sign a nice glue guy SF in FA, that gap can be closed enough to where I feel the Spurs can be built similar to the Grizz but have more talent bc Tim/Manu/TP/Al is overall a little superior to Zbo/Gasol/Gay/Conley.

That is why I believe getting Al Jefferson would be a pretty excellent thing to do at this point. How realistic that is remains to be seen, but since he would come via trade vs FA, I feel it is a little bit more realistic than getting a Nene type player.

I like this post and I think Al Jefferson might just be the move I want to make. RJ would have to be the piece involved in the trade and then try and sign a wing with any money we have left over from the MLE.

I really love Al Jefferson's game on offense in the low block, so I agree that he would take a lot of pressure off of Tim in that area and that would be great for Tim IMO. He isn't a great defender, but he can improve and I think his offensive contributions would outweigh his negatives on defense.

DMC
12-03-2011, 11:28 PM
It's so easy and obvious when someone predicts the same thing that happened last year.

I don't think the Spurs will win as many games this year, percentage wise. I don't think they will be atop the league or the conference, probably not even the division with Dallas being in there.

I think they will make the playoffs, but I think they will lose in the 1st round to OKC.

I hope they ring. I would love to be reminded of my predictions over and over.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-04-2011, 10:00 PM
It all depends on peaking at the right time. Last season we peaked waaaay too early and then hit the wall at the ASB. This year we need to get it right.

I see us making the playoffs, but beyond that it's all about chemistry, timing, Timmy's knees and Manu's health.

Ice009
12-04-2011, 10:30 PM
It all depends on peaking at the right time. Last season we peaked waaaay too early and then hit the wall at the ASB. This year we need to get it right.

I see us making the playoffs, but beyond that it's all about chemistry, timing, Timmy's knees and Manu's health.

Even with all those things we still need another decent big man or we're not really going anywhere.

Mugen
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
2nd round exit is probably the ceiling. but thats what they said about the mavs last year so ya never know.

gonna come down to the same shit as last year: injuries and pop not completely fucking this team over.

Ice009
12-04-2011, 11:31 PM
2nd round exit is probably the ceiling. but thats what they said about the mavs last year so ya never know.

gonna come down to the same shit as last year: injuries and pop not completely fucking this team over.

Yeah, well, I wanted everyone to play against the Lakers and depending on if we won or lost that game sit everyone else for the Phoenix game if there was nothing to be gained by it.

I'm still mad about that decision. I didn't think LA were that good, but Pop kept going on about how great they were all season, and saying stuff like we're nowhere near as good as them. Really great way to build up the confidence of your team, and then when it comes to playing them he sits all the starters in another chickenshit move of his. I don't like that kind of stuff at all. He never used to do stuff like that.

Mugen
12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Yeah, well, I wanted everyone to play against the Lakers and depending on if we won or lost that game sit everyone else for the Phoenix game if there was nothing to be gained by it.

I'm still mad about that decision. I didn't think LA were that good, but Pop kept going on about how great they were all season, and saying stuff like we're nowhere near as good as them. Really great way to build up the confidence of your team, and then when it comes to playing them he sits all the starters in another chickenshit move of his. I don't like that kind of stuff at all. He never used to do stuff like that.

i was just fine with sitting everybody against LA but if u sit them that game then u might as well sit them against phoenix because the risks far outweigh the benefits.

even if CHI had the best record, i still considered them a longshot to reach the finals ahead of MIA and BOS and they end up getting curbstomped by the heat.

putting the guys in a position to get hurt in the last reg season game when he really didnt have to was inexcusable. not playing tiago til it was too late in the MEM series was the nail in the coffin on a lot of really WTF moves made by Pop last season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Even with all those things we still need another decent big man or we're not really going anywhere.

Absolutely. No idea where we're going to conjure one from though, unless it's by trading TP.

Once trading season opens we'll be able to more fully assess what the team might be trying to do.

ace3g
12-05-2011, 12:36 AM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
One league official says there are seven NBA teams that have two stretches of 5 games in 6 nights this season. Good luck with that.

Fireball
12-05-2011, 02:14 AM
One league official says there are seven NBA teams that have two stretches of 5 games in 6 nights this season. Good luck with that.

I really hope the Spurs are able to dodge that and only have to play B2B2B once. In the last seasons they were lucky concerning the number of B2B games ...

Obstructed_View
12-05-2011, 07:09 AM

The official neglected to mention that the Spurs do it three times...

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
the problem is our roster, we can pad the regular season but whats the point if we get out in the first round and stuck with the last draft pick...

imo changes need to be made with the roster....

cutewizard
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
it all depends really on what we can get from this free agency pool

i hope we really can get someone

its so tense to watch

but its exciting to dream that we can get some quality players

cutewizard
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
just speculating but say, say we obtain a center then get a small forward, then add say Yi , lets see how it goes

Nene or Nene equivalent at center
Duncan at power forward
Howard or Howard equivalent at small forward
Manu (or Neal or Anderson) at guard
Parker

not bad huh??

but it gets better at the bench, look:

Tiago at center (best relieving center in the NBA)
Blair at power forward (power there huh)
Yi Jianlian at small forward (Nowitzki like player, he can hit the three)
Leonard or Anderson
Manu or Neal

thats a very strong second unit, probably the strongest on earth!!!!
\
yeah, make it happen front office!!!!

cutewizard
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
shit, im starting to get excited this season

LOL

cutewizard
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
im excited to see that we can have the best second unit on the planet....
and that bodes ill for the other teams

oh hell, yeah!

go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
the key to this season is DEPTH

DEPTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Dawgg
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Right now the Spurs don't have enough firepower or enough chemistry to be a true contender. The Spurs might have a chance if they signed Nene AND Caron Butler which is impossible, short of doing that they are officially in rebuilding mode. The only way they'll ever contend again before Duncan and Ginobili retire is if they make a huge trade or signing...just saying.

Fireball
12-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Right now the Spurs don't have enough firepower or enough chemistry to be a true contender.

Chemistry would only be a problem if the Spurs signed some key free agents. If not chemistry is the main thing which will carry them into the playoffs. You're right about the contender thing though ...

Fireball
12-06-2011, 02:17 AM
shit, im starting to get excited this season

LOL

Excitement all over the place, but your multiple posts and your bouncing ball avatar just increase my blood pressure :lol

eric365
12-06-2011, 05:34 AM

Don't even make the Big 3 travel for the 2nd game of the B2B2B and it will be OK

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2011, 07:04 AM
imo tank and draft drummond

resign duncan to vet

amnesty rj

get d12 max money....problem solve

Rummpd
12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
46 and 20 - way too early to predict on playoffs but West wide open and if Mavs lose both Chanlder and Butler adios to their repeat hopes.

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
the only reason we stuff up last year was pop not playin splitter alot of minutes, he held his ground when he got minutes in the playoffs against the grizz bigs

then you have the ginoboli injury for the playoffs, with one arm he still managed to cause whoever guarding him into foul trouble....

tp gettin outplayed didnt help, rj in featus position didnt help, blair playin down to the competition.....we were there in most of the games, and they were all winnable untill we ran out of steam in the 4th quarters or not protecting our leads....

bring back the same roster minus ghill, with a healthy ginoboli and more minutes of splitter ....first round should be a pass