PDA

View Full Version : The Fisher Deal Was A Sweet Cake Deal For Buss and Kobe

Koolaid_Man
11-26-2011, 09:02 PM
This deal was a payback to Dr. Buss and his good friend Kobe. Dr. Buss was for the players but he told Fish to end it and he would reward him for his loyalties with a coaching spot down the road.

Dr Buss doesn't care either way he's gonna spend money despite the new cba. Whatever it takes to secure Dwight he will spend it.

Kobe told Fish to cut a deal and Fish obliged his good friend. Kobe wants to be an owner someday and he wants to mow down MJ's titles. He can't afford an offseason with no scoring.

He's about 728 points off 5th all time and 1 behind MJ.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Lets say Buss keeps his roster at $100 million and works a Bynum & filler trade for Howard. You really think he's gonna be OK with paying $240 million a year ($100 million + $140 million in luxury tax) to keep that team intact? Dream on, welcher...

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 12:21 AM
No. Buss will take up the rocking chair again. He won't fight Stern on this. It's a business decision. It's what Stern wants. What the owners want. Buss will get in line and he'll soldier. He'll play by the new rules. Everybody will. Even Cuban. He'll grumble under his breath, but, he'll abide. The die has been cast. The new template struck.

mavsfan1000
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
No more dynasties. lol

ElNono
11-27-2011, 12:43 AM
After driving Buss' bus into The Skunker, it's the least he could do, tbh...

pass1st
11-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Lol, acting like you know the players.

LAL does have a TV deal in the works, their pockets are going to be very deep.

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Lets say Buss keeps his roster at $100 million and works a Bynum & filler trade for Howard. You really think he's gonna be OK with paying $240 million a year ($100 million + $140 million in luxury tax) to keep that team intact? Dream on, welcher...

Kobe will take less for a chance to pass MJ no doubt about it...If mgt came to him and said would you be willing to shave off 10 mill in a restructuring to bring in Dwight...it's a no brainer...you guys can only pray he doesn't do it. everyone will take less...Dwight will also take less to come to LA. with some tweaks our core will be Kobe. Dwight. and Pau....

everyone else is expendable. Once we have those 3 in the fold...other smaller markets will suffer a worse fate. Especially the Spurs

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Tired old shitbag walking away from a $30 million/season deal after this new CBA?

:lol what the fuck are you smoking?

DMC
11-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Kobe will take less for a chance to pass MJ no doubt about it...If mgt came to him and said would you be willing to shave off 10 mill in a restructuring to bring in Dwight...it's a no brainer...you guys can only pray he doesn't do it. everyone will take less...Dwight will also take less to come to LA. with some tweaks our core will be Kobe. Dwight. and Pau....

everyone else is expendable. Once we have those 3 in the fold...other smaller markets will suffer a worse fate. Especially the Spurs
The Spurs are done. You will be lucky to see anther WCF before Kobe is done also.

I don't care about that though. How are you coping? You seem to be taking it pretty hard.

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Tired old shitbag walking away from a $30 million/season deal after this new CBA?

:lol what the fuck are you smoking?

what are you talking about...silly fucker..no one is getting 30 mill. :lol

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 01:47 AM
The Spurs are done. You will be lucky to see anther WCF before Kobe is done also.

I don't care about that though. How are you coping? You seem to be taking it pretty hard.

all we need is 2 more before the mass hysteria kicks in...and my 8 ball says well get it in...you guys need to get over it...It's 5>4 and that is written in stone for sure....Kobe has bigger Fish to fry and MJ looks pretty tasty right about now.... with the right seasonings and grease of course :lol

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:49 AM
what are you talking about...silly fucker..no one is getting 30 mill. :lol

Kobe Bryant signed a three-year contract extension Friday worth nearly $90 million that will keep him with the Los Angeles Lakers through the 2013-14 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5050933

Just shut up already, you don't event know what you're talking about. :lol

:downspin: that shit

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Kobe Bryant signed a three-year contract extension Friday worth nearly $90 million that will keep him with the Los Angeles Lakers through the 2013-14 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5050933

Just shut up already, you don't event know what you're talking about. :lol

:downspin: that shit

doesn't change anything I said..no one will make 30 million in LA...You just come back to this post once Dwight lands in LA

ElNono
11-27-2011, 02:01 AM
doesn't change anything I said..no one will make 30 million in LA...You just come back to this post once Dwight lands in LA

Kobe ain't walking away from that contract. You just come back to this post once he does.

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Kobe ain't walking away from that contract. You just come back to this post once he does.

I didn't say he would...but he will restructure it to play with Dwight and keep Pau...Mark my words...He'll get that money back easily...Dr Buss has plans for the kid ....

ElNono
11-27-2011, 02:08 AM
I didn't say he would...but he will restructure it to play with Dwight and keep Pau...Mark my words...He'll get that money back easily...Dr Buss has plans for the kid ....

Restructure it how? He would have to extend it past 3 years... You wanna talk about tired old shitbags? That contract is awful as it is. :lmao

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Restructure it how? He would have to extend it past 3 years... You wanna talk about tired old shitbags? That contract is awful as it is. :lmao

It will be Kobe's call when the time comes..I'm of the opinion he believes in Legacies more than Money...so he'll sacrifice to win....

when Kobe looks like Duncan then we can talk about tired old shit bags...but right now and for the next 2 yrs or so Duncan can only dream to be playing at Kobe's level...remember Kobe avg 24 last yr if I'm not mistaken...1 basket off his career pace. Duncan avg 13 & 8 so don't talk about the day when you anticipate Kobe being a TOS...talk about the guy who is actually living the tired old shitbag life right now...:lol

ElNono
11-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Newsflash: we're talking about Kobe and he's a tired old shitbag... the quickest you accept that reality the less it's gonna hurt in the long run, tbh

And it's only going downhill from here on out...

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 03:10 AM

Let's say he restructures, like you said, and take $20 million instead of $30+ million.... since there's NO WAY he'll make less than Pau Gasol....

Pau's contract will be around $19 million as proven in this ESPN article from Dec. 2009...

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4768800

The confirmed value of the extension is an even $57 million over three years, according to official league contract figures obtained by ESPN.com.

The new deal, according to a breakdown circulated Wednesday to the league's 30 teams, calls for Gasol to earn $18,714,150 in 2011-12, $19,000,000 in 2012-13 and $19,285,850 in 2013-14.

Gasol is earning $16,452,000 this season and is scheduled to earn $17,823,000 next season in the final year of his previous contract.

The contract, according to the league-issued specifics, also contains a trade kicker.

Trade kicker? That means, no way he's included in a deal for Howard.... L.A. is stuck with him...

So now we're at $49 million for 2 players with a salary cap around $60 million.

Bynum's contract (the most likely trade bait for Howard) is $16.4 million on a team option in 12-13. No way the magic trade Howard for Bynum straight up since he's not worth that much, unless the Magic bank on him re-signing with them after 1 year at $16 million (or get the Lakers to extend him BEFORE the trade at a lower price; good luck with that).
So lets say somehow the Lakers call in a favor like they did with Gasol and magically make it all work and Howard is signed at $15-16 million his first year in Bynum's place. Now we're at $65 million for 3 players; already $5million over the cap and only $5 million from luxury tax....

Then you have:
-Odom $8 million
-World Peace $7.2 million
-Walton at $6.1 million (or Blake at $4 million, whichever doesn't get amnestied)
-Derek Fisher $3.4 million (player option, which you KNOW he won't pass up)

So now we are at $87-90 million (depending on whether it's Blake or Walton still taking up cap space in 12-13) and you only have 7 players!!!!

7 players, $90 million.... and the following year (13-14) Buss will be paying $65 million MINIMUM in luxury taxes ($3.25 for every $ over the threshold of $70 million) on those 7 players, because they are $20 million over the luxury threshold.

But you can't play with a roster of 7, so the roster will swell to $100 million or more with a minimum of $105 million in tax penalties.

No NBA owner is rich enough (or dumb enough) to throw away $105 MILLION a year in luxury taxes to win a championship. Like I said...

DREAM ON, welcher....

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 03:56 AM
tired old shitbag

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Spur_Fanatic
11-27-2011, 04:00 AM
LOL at Kool thinking Kobe will play for less...

He already said he won't do it, Kool.
But let's be realiistic... Anyone truly expected Kobe to take one for the team?

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 04:03 AM
But let's be realiistic... Anyone truly expected Kobe to take one for the team?

Well, frankly, I didn't until he couldn't get it off in Game 7 Vs. Boston and stipulated to Artest.

Whoops-e-daisy.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Who says he can restructure?

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Let's say he restructures, like you said, and take $20 million instead of $30+ million.... since there's NO WAY he'll make less than Pau Gasol....

Pau's contract will be around $19 million as proven in this ESPN article from Dec. 2009...

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4768800

The confirmed value of the extension is an even $57 million over three years, according to official league contract figures obtained by ESPN.com.

The new deal, according to a breakdown circulated Wednesday to the league's 30 teams, calls for Gasol to earn $18,714,150 in 2011-12, $19,000,000 in 2012-13 and $19,285,850 in 2013-14.

Gasol is earning $16,452,000 this season and is scheduled to earn $17,823,000 next season in the final year of his previous contract.

The contract, according to the league-issued specifics, also contains a trade kicker.

Trade kicker? That means, no way he's included in a deal for Howard.... L.A. is stuck with him...

So now we're at $49 million for 2 players with a salary cap around $60 million.

Bynum's contract (the most likely trade bait for Howard) is $16.4 million on a team option in 12-13. No way the magic trade Howard for Bynum straight up since he's not worth that much, unless the Magic bank on him re-signing with them after 1 year at $16 million (or get the Lakers to extend him BEFORE the trade at a lower price; good luck with that).
So lets say somehow the Lakers call in a favor like they did with Gasol and magically make it all work and Howard is signed at $15-16 million his first year in Bynum's place. Now we're at $65 million for 3 players; already $5million over the cap and only $5 million from luxury tax....

Then you have:
-Odom $8 million
-World Peace $7.2 million
-Walton at $6.1 million (or Blake at $4 million, whichever doesn't get amnestied)
-Derek Fisher $3.4 million (player option, which you KNOW he won't pass up)

So now we are at $87-90 million (depending on whether it's Blake or Walton still taking up cap space in 12-13) and you only have 7 players!!!!

7 players, $90 million.... and the following year (13-14) Buss will be paying $65 million MINIMUM in luxury taxes ($3.25 for every $ over the threshold of $70 million) on those 7 players, because they are $20 million over the luxury threshold.

But you can't play with a roster of 7, so the roster will swell to $100 million or more with a minimum of $105 million in tax penalties.

No NBA owner is rich enough (or dumb enough) to throw away $105 MILLION a year in luxury taxes to win a championship. Like I said...

DREAM ON, welcher....

I like your passion...but all that rambling failed to capture 2 things...Bynum will be packaged along with Odom or Artest like I previously said. Walton is on record as looking to retire because of bad back whicg if that happened would allow us to save our amnesty provision. If that happens we can then use it on either Artest or Blake.

Poof and there's the Magic...:lol

I'm reveling in the fact while we have options you are melting down at the prospect. Face it Dawg it's ova for the Spurs the Lakers are still the realest on the rise fuck them other guys...:lol

LOKTff8ewg8

hehateme
11-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Don't feed the retard..he probably couldn't count to 10 using his own fingers.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Muser
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
It's amazing how Laker fans think this is a good deal for them, this new CBA is awful for teams over the tax.

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
It's amazing how Laker fans think this is a good deal for them, this new CBA is awful for teams over the tax.

Don't lump me in. When I'm getting royally fucked and it hurts I don't brazen it out to claim otherwise.

The new CBA is a catastrophe for us. Not only in reality, but, for what it stands for spiritually. The old ways are over. I understood that instantly. So does Buss. My fellows?...they'll brazen it out.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I like your passion...but all that rambling failed to capture 2 things...Bynum will be packaged along with Odom or Artest like I previously said. Walton is on record as looking to retire because of bad back whicg if that happened would allow us to save our amnesty provision. If that happens we can then use it on either Artest or Blake.

Poof and there's the Magic...:lol

lol packaging Odom with Bynum for Howard. You know Howard can't get a contract starting at $24 million, right?

What a dumbass....

Even if other Orlando players are included to make the contracts match up, you'd still be at $74 million with a roster of Kobe, Gasol, Howard, and 1-2 Orlando fillers. You are over the tax threshold with a 4 or 5 player roster.

You can have EVERY player outside of Gasol & Kobe fake a career ending injury or claim they need to retire for their family and you'd still end up paying luxury tax with a roster or 4 or 5 players! Kobe and Gasol have crippled the Lakers chances with their huge contracts.

Fact the facts, welcher.... it ain't happenin' no matter how you try to spin that shit!

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 12:23 PM
How long is the new CBA good for?

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
How long is the new CBA good for?

10 years, but can be ended after year 6 by either side

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 12:40 PM

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 12:44 PM
10 years, but can be ended after year 6 by either side

Thx.

and I can't see this lasting the entire decade if it has the effect that people on here are hoping for.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Thx.

and I can't see this lasting the entire decade if it has the effect that people on here are hoping for.

Yeah, because it would be horrible to have a little parity in the league. :rolleyes
The Heat opened Pandora's box and without this deal, players would be scrambling to form super teams in big markets to compete with Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

While all the FA role players will be jumping on the bandwagon to ride coattails to championships in those same cities. See Eddie House, for example....

GB20
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM

the stupid and cono de madre koolaid_man said that.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, because it would be horrible to have a little parity in the league. :rolleyes
The Heat opened Pandora's box and without this deal, players would be scrambling to form super teams in big markets to compete with Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

While all the FA role players will be jumping on the bandwagon to ride coattails to championships in those same cities. See Eddie House, for example....

There's only been one true decade of parity in the NBA, and it coincidentally was the worst one as well (70's).

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 12:59 PM
There's only been one true decade of parity in the NBA, and it coincidentally was the worst one as well (70's).

True, but there weren't as many teams back then either, or the global exposure we have today for the game. And there were no restraints on the big spenders, like there will be with this deal.

Everyone will have to play by the same rules now....

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
What is incredible is the intricate and considered detail in the new CBA that comprehensively cuts the path(s) to "subterfuge" that had existed the prior quarter century of CBAs. Somebody knew whence they strategized to hammer this nightmare CBA out.

It's a message at the point of a gun. I can only fathom Cuban bucking it.

ElNono
I wouldn't be so quick to characterize this CBA as the be-all, end-all for parity either... even that Sith lord Adam Silver said they "hope" it will bring parity, but they don't really outright know. Fact is, sponsorship is a big part of player's income and they can't limit that. Big markets will always have the upper edge there.

DeadlyDynasty
True, but there weren't as many teams back then either, or the global exposure we have today for the game. And there were no restraints on the big spenders, like there will be with this deal.

Everyone will have to play by the same rules now....

I just don't see the NBA lasting like that. Imagine the Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz, Hawks, Grizzlies, and other small markets playing each other in the finals every other year. The NBA ratings would tank and we'd soon be watching games on Versus like the NHL.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
There's also the fact of the Commish himself saying his favorite finals would be "Lakers vs Lakers"... talk about parity...

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I just don't see the NBA lasting like that. Imagine the Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz, Hawks, Grizzlies, and other small markets playing each other in the finals every other year. The NBA ratings would tank and we'd soon be watching games on Versus like the NHL.

It probably won't last. This is mostly to appease small market owners during a shit economy. But loopholes will be found.

DeadlyDynasty
The Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, or a team stacked with all-world talent like Miami--one or many of these teams will always have to be at or near the top or the NBA won't survive.

Giuseppe
even that Sith lord Adam Silver said they "hope" it will bring parity

Then he stepped behind the curtain and shared a high five with Stern & Holt.

They can afford to be obtuse now. Everything after the Saturday morning handshake is shaved.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
There's also the fact of the Commish himself saying his favorite finals would be "Lakers vs Lakers"... talk about parity...

He knows where his bread is buttered.

It probably won't last. This is mostly to appease small market owners during a shit economy. But loopholes will be found.

I agree.

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
The Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, or a team stacked with all-world talent like Miami--one or many of these teams will always have to be at or near the op or the NBA won't survive.

But, the owners have to "see" that. They have to suffer dramatically if there is truth to it....before they'll let the pendulum swing back.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I think a restructuring by Kobe is possible but definitely not "probable" ... he knows he is worth A LOT more to the Lakers than his back loaded contract ...can't say I blame him.

But if Dwight wants to leave not much Magic can do and yes Bynum and Odom to the Magic is a no brainer you can get a good 6th man with a MLE ....

the real question is how much in lux tax can Kobe, the local media and the Laker faithful place pressure on Buss to to go over that threshold? As a fan i would ask that he do it now and go with a young "value" team later ....but not my money and he has spent to bag two titles ...

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Basically, the 3 billion dollar swing ensures that small markets can survive so there's enough washington generals to play the big markets.

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:10 PM

That was before James got Gilbert to throw down. Here I thought Gilbert was all talk & a badge.

Uh, uh.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 01:11 PM
But, the owners have to "see" that. They have to suffer dramatically if there is truth to it....before they'll let the pendulum swing back.

Assuming that it does in fact rigidly level the playing field, in 6 years they'll have seen enough

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Assuming that it does in fact rigidly level the playing field, in 6 years they'll have seen enough

That's definitely enough time for a legit sample.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Maybe the Finals ratings will drop from year to year, but overall playoff and regular season ratings won't suffer. See 2007 for example. Everyone points out the Cavs-Spurs Finals being one fo the lowest rated Finals, but plenty of people tuned in for the Suns-Spurs matchup that year and the Dallas-Golden State debacle. The Lakers were 1st round fodder, Boston wasn't in the playoffs, and the Conference Finals had Detroit, Cleveland, Utah, and San Antonio, yet the league didn't go belly up, did they?

The league can always find a story line to play off with the small market teams that will peak the public's interest.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe the Finals ratings will drop from year to year, but overall playoff and regular season ratings won't suffer. See 2007 for example. Everyone points out the Cavs-Spurs Finals being one fo the lowest rated Finals, but plenty of people tuned in for the Suns-Spurs matchup that year and the Dallas-Golden State debacle. The Lakers were 1st round fodder, Boston wasn't in the playoffs, and the Conference Finals had Detroit, Cleveland, Utah, and San Antonio, yet the league didn't go belly up, did they?

The league can always find a story line to play off with the small market teams that will peak the public's interest.

That was one year. Try having that 6-10 years in a row.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I think a restructuring by Kobe is possible but definitely not "probable" ... he knows he is worth A LOT more to the Lakers than his back loaded contract ...can't say I blame him.

But if Dwight wants to leave not much Magic can do and yes Bynum and Odom to the Magic is a no brainer you can get a good 6th man with a MLE ....

the real question is how much in lux tax can Kobe, the local media and the Laker faithful place pressure on Buss to to go over that threshold? As a fan i would ask that he do it now and go with a young "value" team later ....but not my money and he has spent to bag two titles ...

Killa, Bynum and Odom make a total of $24 million in slary in 2012-2013. The Lakers would have to take back that much OR MORE from Orlando, putting them at $73 million ($70 million luxury tax threshold) with only Kobe ($30 mill), Gasol ($19 mill), Howard, and 1-2 other players from the Magic to equal the $24 mill they send to Orlando.

You have 5 players and are already paying luxury tax. How do you build a roster of 12 without Buss paying $100 million OR MORE in luxury tax penalties? You really think Buss will pay over $200 million to keep a $100 million roster together? I seriously doubt it.... He's rich, but not STUPID.

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 01:27 PM
That was one year. Try having that 6-10 years in a row.

:rolleyes Please, the sky must be falling in L.A. It wouldn't happen 6 years in a row and you know it. A big market team would win the lotto and draft the next great big man and be right back in the thick of things. Parity doesn't mean the small market teams win every year.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 01:30 PM
No, I don't know, and neither do you. This is unchartered territory and we're both just speculating.

I can't see it lasting unless--as ElNono said--loopholes are found. Just my opinion

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
You really think Buss will pay over $200 million to keep a $100 million roster together? I seriously doubt it.... He's rich, but not STUPID.

Buss saw the light and got the 2 year grace period. He'll give up the ghost and join the owners as a member in good standing. He'll be one of them. Leaving "us" fans naked and without options other than to huddle with the other losers & paycheck-to-paycheck tribe.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
The Lakers were 1st round fodder, Boston wasn't in the playoffs, and the Conference Finals had Detroit, Cleveland, Utah, and San Antonio, yet the league didn't go belly up, did they?

No, but they probably didn't make as much money.

DeadlyDynasty
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Buss saw the light and got the 2 year grace period. He'll give up the ghost and join the owners as a member in good standing. He'll be one of them. Leaving "us" fans naked and without options other than to huddle with the other losers & paycheck-to-paycheck tribe.

...for the next 6 years, then those commie bastards will see the light. :D

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
...after six years ElNono naked will look mighty fine.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
...after six years ElNono naked will look mighty fine.

No means no, Culbert.

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 02:03 PM

no one said it was a good deal...all we're saying is given the circumstance we'll make make Lemonade with the Lemons we're given...better yet we'll load our Koolaid with sugar...:lol

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 02:05 PM
No means no, Culbert.

- "Sometimes no means yes."

- DoK "The CBA Guru"

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I dont think it's a good deal ...but with a level playing field it makes market (weather, endoresements opps) even MORE valuable. A smal market COULD overspend to compete now they can't either. Once the bad deals from the last CBA expire ...NY,LA, MIA DAL CHI will be MORE attractive not less ...they cant stack squads but they wil get all the superstars once the rookie deals (which are limited) expire. Not overpaying to get the RJ's of the world will be more important.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Foreign scouting become critical as well and the spurs excell in that area ...

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 02:13 PM
:rolleyes Please, the sky must be falling in L.A. It wouldn't happen 6 years in a row and you know it. A big market team would win the lotto and draft the next great big man and be right back in the thick of things. Parity doesn't mean the small market teams win every year.

Spur fan having a major meltdown...no extra penalties for LA until Kobe's last contract year...before then we'll spend like druken sailors...we'll figure it out...and Buss will pay that little extra...But if Kobe rangs this season then Buss will start rebuilding in 2013. :lmao

Deal with it Spur fan..The Lakers have 2 more years to get their shit together before the punitive hit...The Spurs are thanksgiving turkey still making it's way through the guts to be shitted out. :lol

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I dont think it's a good deal ...but with a level playing field it makes market (weather, endoresements opps) even MORE valuable. A smal market COULD overspend to compete now they can't either. Once the bad deals from the last CBA expire ...NY,LA, MIA DAL CHI will be MORE attractive not less ...they cant stack squads but they wil get all the superstars once the rookie deals (which are limited) expire. Not overpaying to get the RJ's of the world will be more important.

But they won't be able to get all the superstars without dumping their entire roster every 3-4 years. There will be no way (without paying $$$ out the ass, that is) to keep a team of 3-4 star players (or All Star caliber, anyway) together for more than 3 years and still add role players. They will have to dump 1 star to get a younger star. They won't be able to add role players like they have in the past.

A Matt Barnes is not gonna take $2 million a year less to play for a big market team becuase of potential endorsement deals. Who's gonna hire Matt Barnes to endorse their product when they can get Kobe or Gasol?

Will that line of thinking work for a star player? Yes, but not a role player, which is what the big spenders won't be able to afford anymore, since that $3million a yaer "mini mid-level exception" deal will actually cost a team like the Lakers over $10 million a year after luxury tax penalties of $3.5 for every $1 spent.

And don't forget sign and trades for those "star rookie deal guys" won't be allowed for teams who are over the tax threshold. So there goes that theory...

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Spur fan having a major meltdown...no extra penalties for LA until Kobe's last contract year...before then we'll spend like druken sailors...we'll figure it out...and Buss will pay that little extra...But if Kobe rangs this season then Buss will start rebuilding in 2013. :lmao

Deal with it Spur fan..The Lakers have 2 more years to get their shit together before the punitive hit...The Spurs are thanksgiving turkey still making it's way through the guts to be shitted out. :lol

Buss will figure it out? lol:rollin How's he gonna figure his way outta over $100 million in luxury taxes PER YEAR?

In the meantime, guess who will be $14 million under the cap next summer when everyone is starting to scramble to shed players and get under the cap? The Spurs...

And guess who could be $21 million under the cap in the summer of 2013 when the REAL PENALTIES kick in and everyone has to get under the threshold or pay STIFF penalties? That's right, the Spurs....

damn, Buss and the Lakers have all that money to spend, but still get outsmarted again by Holt and po-dunk san Antonio. Stings don't it? Have fun PRAYING Buss can "figure it out." The Spurs already have it figured out and will keep a winning product on the floor for years to come. As for the Lake Show? We'll see...

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 02:34 PM
But they won't be able to get all the superstars without dumping their entire roster every 3-4 years. There will be no way (without paying $$$ out the ass, that is) to keep a team of 3-4 star players (or All Star caliber, anyway) together for more than 3 years and still add role players. They will have to dump 1 star to get a younger star. They won't be able to add role players like they have in the past.

A Matt Barnes is not gonna take $2 million a year less to play for a big market team becuase of potential endorsement deals. Who's gonna hire Matt Barnes to endorse their product when they can get Kobe or Gasol?

Will that line of thinking work for a star player? Yes, but not a role player, which is what the big spenders won't be able to afford anymore, since that $3million a yaer "mini mid-level exception" deal will actually cost a team like the Lakers over $10 million a year after luxury tax penalties of $3.5 for every $1 spent.

And don't forget sign and trades for those "star rookie deal guys" won't be allowed for teams who are over the tax threshold. So there goes that theory...

You either misunderstand my post or we have a different definition of superstar.

Superstar = Dwight, Lebron, kobe, rose, Blake, Dwayne, Durant, Melo

Kobe, Dwayne, Melo, Blake Rose and Lebron ALRREADY play in a big market. sure teams will not be able to superfriend but two stars will still be able to team up.

I dont know if you are using my post to respond to the masses but the deal does suck for Lakers Mavs ....BUT like i said with a level playing field markets dictate stars will seek big markets .... stars will STILL seek out those markets.

20 million in NY is better than 20 million in cleveland still.

2000 Lakers were a perfect example: Shaq was the superstar the Lakers were the big market team and the lakers folowed up that star seeking huge market with a smart trade for Kobe. Then they utilized smart role players (horry, fox Fish) and were perfect fits.

The mavs/Lakers of the past 3 years will no longer exist ...

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
damn, Buss and the Lakers have all that money to spend, but still get outsmarted again by Holt and po-dunk san Antonio.

Though somehow we managed to stuff the shit bag Duncan under Kobe 5-4.

DMC
11-27-2011, 02:38 PM

By the middle of this season, you will have buried this prediction under so many "please notice me" threads that it will take a GPS to find it.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
First you need the superstar whether small market or not. Without one only Detroit has won a title the past what 30 years?

Once you get one you need smart moves like the spurs and Lakers (3 peat) did ... with new CBA ... you cant win like Mavs and Lakers of the past 3 years.

With no Duncan Spurs are fucked new CBA or not ...

Giuseppe
11-27-2011, 02:42 PM
with new CBA ... you cant win like Mavs and Lakers of the past 3 years.

Killa

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
You either misunderstand my post or we have a different definition of superstar.

Superstar = Dwight, Lebron, kobe, rose, Blake, Dwayne, Durant, Melo

Kobe, Dwayne, Melo, Blake Rose and Lebron ALRREADY play in a big market. sure teams will not be able to superfriend but two stars will still be able to team up.

I dont know if you are using my post to respond to the masses but the deal does suck for Lakers Mavs ....BUT like i said with a level playing field markets dictate stars will seek big markets .... stars will STILL seek out those markets.

20 million in NY is better than 20 million in cleveland still.

2000 Lakers were a perfect example: Shaq was the superstar the Lakers were the big market team and the lakers folowed up that star seeking huge market with a smart trade for Kobe. Then they utilized smart role players (horry, fox Fish) and were perfect fits.

The mavs/Lakers of the past 3 years will no longer exist ...

I get what you are saying, but getting those stars to the big market teams will be more difficult to pull off unless said teams gut their roster every few years.

A sign & trade for a free agent will no longer be an option for a team paying the luxury tax. They have to be signed OUTRIGHT as free agents to contracts LOWER and SHORTER than what the star player could get from their original team. To get those stars, a big market team will have to plan ahead and sign role players to shorter contracts to coincide with the year their "target free agent's" contract is up. Easier said than done, especially when the fan base in those markets is spoiled and wants a "win now" mentality from its team.

Nathan89
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM
with new CBA ... you cant win like Mavs and Lakers of the past 3 years.

I hope you're right.:toast

Koolaid_Man
11-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Though somehow we managed to stuff the shit bag Duncan under Kobe 5-4.

Ouch...

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I get what you are saying, but getting those stars to the big market teams will be more difficult to pull off unless said teams gut their roster every few years.

A sign & trade for a free agent will no longer be an option for a team paying the luxury tax. They have to be signed OUTRIGHT as free agents to contracts LOWER and SHORTER than what the star player could get from their original team. To get those stars, a big market team will have to plan ahead and sign role players to shorter contracts to coincide with the year their "target free agent's" contract is up. Easier said than done, especially when the fan base in those markets is spoiled and wants a "win now" mentality from its team.

But like I said, things will be more like the 2 CBA's ago. the salary escalation started with the last deal. The players bent the Owners over, the dumbass owners were heading out contracts like candy, and that led to this mess.

Now again using the pre shaq Lakers. That team wasnot very good. BEfore they signed Shaq the only members of that core that helped the lakers win a title were fox and Horry. Fox turned down more money to stay in Boston (a big market too) to chase a shitty acting career. West stole horry from teh suns cuz he threw a towell in ainge's face. Fisher, Rice, Kobe even ron Harper all came AFTER we got shaq.

Roster turnover is fine. YOu just need the superstar. Look at the sPurs tanking to get duncan brought you guys 4 titles If a Dwight duncan Shaq type is available roster purging is not only needed but the smart move.

You gonna gamble that you hit a Pistons type perfect storm? Or would you rather gamble on a superstar in star driven sport?

Im not saying we are gonna get dwight but i believe you trade the moon and stars to get him and even if Kobe breaks down you are still closer to a title than most of the NBA. Superstar driven league ...been watching the NBA 30 years and only 1 team has won one without one ...

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I hope you're right.:toast

Lakers and Mavs still dangerous but only a for a few more years (as currently contsructed) ...and Mavs NEED chandler back. No way they beat Heat in a rematch without him ..

Nathan89
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Mavs will get chandler back. There is no doubt about that.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
And i know Dwight is not shaq or duncan ...

Jut saying with the lack of big in the NBA if you have to give up half the team or talke on some shitty contracts ...you do it.

Best physical talent outside of Lebron in the current NBA ...

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Mavs will get chandler back. There is no doubt about that.

How are you so sure?

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 03:20 PM
But like I said, things will be more like the 2 CBA's ago. the salary escalation started with the last deal. The players bent the Owners over, the dumbass owners were heading out contracts like candy, and that led to this mess.

Now again using the pre shaq Lakers. That team wasnot very good. BEfore they signed Shaq the only members of that core that helped the lakers win a title were fox and Horry. Fox turned down more money to stay in Boston (a big market too) to chase a shitty acting career. West stole horry from teh suns cuz he threw a towell in ainge's face. Fisher, Rice, Kobe even ron Harper all came AFTER we got shaq.

Roster turnover is fine. YOu just need the superstar. Look at the sPurs tanking to get duncan brought you guys 4 titles If a Dwight duncan Shaq type is available roster purging is not only needed but the smart move.

You gonna gamble that you hit a Pistons type perfect storm? Or would you rather gamble on a superstar in star driven sport?

Im not saying we are gonna get dwight but i believe you trade the moon and stars to get him and even if Kobe breaks down you are still closer to a title than most of the NBA. Superstar driven league ...been watching the NBA 30 years and only 1 team has won one without one ...

Yes, it is a superstar driven league. But superstars with no role players won't win a championship. Gasol and his $19 mill salary has a trade kicker, so he can't be traded to get Dwight. Kobe will be making $30mill in a $58 mill cap year. Even if you gut the rest of the roster and trade Odom/Bynum for Dwight, you end up way over the tax threshold with a roster of 5.

Now you need to sign role players with just the MLE and LLE at vet minimum contracts. Might be able to pull it off in 2012-2013 for one last hoorah, but the next season starts the $3.5 to $1 tax for team who are more than $15 million past the $70 mill threshold, which the Lakers will be. Buss will shell out over $200 million with taxes in 2013-2014 ALONE.

It's not the NFL, so you can't just cut your overpaid guys to get under the threshold, so you're stuck.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Yes, it is a superstar driven league. But superstars with no role players won't win a championship. Gasol and his $19 mill salary has a trade kicker, so he can't be traded to get Dwight. Kobe will be making $30mill in a $58 mill cap year. Even if you gut the rest of the roster and trade Odom/Bynum for Dwight, you end up way over the tax threshold with a roster of 5.

Now you need to sign role players with just the MLE and LLE at vet minimum contracts. Might be able to pull it off in 2012-2013 for one last hoorah, but the next season starts the $3.5 to $1 tax for team who are more than $15 million past the $70 mill threshold, which the Lakers will be. Buss will shell out over $200 million with taxes in 2013-2014 ALONE.

It's not the NFL, so you can't just cut your overpaid guys to get under the threshold, so you're stuck.

I dont "get" how you say he can NOt be traded. Yes he can. Would it make sense for Orlando, with a trade kicker? No. But I admit I have not looked over every minute detail.

Are you saying the new CBA prohibits the Magic for trading for Pau?

And again I am not saying that trade scenario is possible or likely. I dont even care if the roster needs to be gutted. My point is if a superstar is interested in joining your team (if you consider him a superstar) you gut your team to make it happen. YEs your team may look like the Knicks did last year ...but you can find complemntary pieces much easier than a young star center.

My guess is Lakers are stuck with their core or may even decide to just roll with it ... either due to CBA or believing we are STILL close or that Bynum can stay healthy.

I was just saying if it were me, I would make a move for Dwight either now or in the future ...

Nathan89
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
How are you so sure?

Cuban couldn't look himself in the mirror if he let chandler walk after giving the contracts he's gave in the past to bigs.

Besides why wouldn't they? Once they amnesty Haywood they'll have plenty of money to resign players without going to far into the tax. Chandler is priority number one.

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I agree with Killa with regards to gutting your team to get superstars. Especially when it's a big man. Everyone on LA should be available if Dwight is.

Problem is the money and how expensive it will be, but again, I predict this new CBA will cut down on the number of taxpayers, but you will see an ultra elite class (two teams, with LA being one of them) that spend regardless of the penalty.

Killakobe81
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree with Killa with regards to gutting your team to get superstars. Especially when it's a big man. Everyone on LA should be available if Dwight is.

Problem is the money and how expensive it will be, but again, I predict this new CBA will cut down on the number of taxpayers, but you will see an ultra elite class (two teams, with LA being one of them) that spend regardless of the penalty.

Absolutely. Only players I would take over a star big man is "MJ" 3 years younger Kobe and maybe Lebron. I would take Dwight over EVERYONE else ... pre fat shaq or young tim I would take over Dwight though ...

Dunc n Dave
11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I dont "get" how you say he can NOt be traded. Yes he can. Would it make sense for Orlando, with a trade kicker? No. But I admit I have not looked over every minute detail.

Are you saying the new CBA prohibits the Magic for trading for Pau?

And again I am not saying that trade scenario is possible or likely. I dont even care if the roster needs to be gutted. My point is if a superstar is interested in joining your team (if you consider him a superstar) you gut your team to make it happen. YEs your team may look like the Knicks did last year ...but you can find complemntary pieces much easier than a young star center.

My guess is Lakers are stuck with their core or may even decide to just roll with it ... either due to CBA or believing we are STILL close or that Bynum can stay healthy.

I was just saying if it were me, I would make a move for Dwight either now or in the future ...

The trade kicker escalates Gasol's salary if he's traded. No way Orlando would agree to it, especially for a 32 year old Gasol at that time (next summer).

Now if their hand is forced by Dwight, they'd probably take a 1 year rental of Bynum at $16 million if the other option is Dwight walks to another team (obviously not the Lakers, who will be over the cap).

I agree, if you CAN get a big like Howard, you go for it, but the end result would be 2-3 years of mediocrity for the Lakers because you have a bench full of minimum salary guys. It would take 2-3 years of signing guys to the mini-MLE to fortify their bench enough to contend. By then Kobe is done and/or retired.

No sign & trades allowed
No LLE allowed.
All you have is a $3million offer each year and minimum salaries (and the draft, of course).
Hard to put a team together with those handcuffs on after you've gutted it of talent to get Howard....

Spur_Fanatic
11-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Lakers and Knicks don't care about paying tax?

This is a lie. They care. But for the sake of things, let's say they don't. Does it matter?
They are still limited on what they can sign. Unless they find players willing to play for vet min, etc; their cap is the same as the other teams.

Giuseppe
11-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I hope you're right, Luva.

Koolaid_Man
11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
The natives are already restless. Buss will be forced to gamble just to win another title during Kobe's last three years. Anything less than a contender on the floor and Time Warner will start getting antsy. You need star power to deliver on a deal like that.

Preach on Rev....a noogah ain't been to Chuch in awhile...I need that spiritual enlightenment....