PDA

View Full Version : Is that ginger boy with the t-rex arms gonna start this season again?

Sigz
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll go ape shit.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Can't wait for the sandwich blog tbh

slick'81
11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
no one puts there arms straight up and does nothing else on d better than bonner

silverblk mystix
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Worse yet,

that idiot Pop is still the coach....4 years after he went senile....

Manu20
11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I had a dream last night that Splitter was the starter.......

jeebus
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
That's about as close as he's gonna get to playing time this year.

ElNono
11-27-2011, 08:24 PM
It's gonna be tough... Ginger just gave Holt what Holt wanted. Now Holt has to repay the favor.

DMC
11-27-2011, 09:11 PM
no one puts there arms straight up and does nothing else on d better than bonner
Do his fingers extend over his head when he does that?

Russo21
11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Who cares. We've got no shot at the title anyway. Not without a good centre and with our shit small forward. Add those two gaping holes to go with Pop's bromance with Bonner and we're fucked.

objective
11-28-2011, 01:26 AM
He might.

Two things I know for sure: Bonner will get too many minutes and fail, and 48 Minutes of Hell will spend all season praising Bonner as a great, underrated player who is the secret weapon behind beating legit contenders.

therealtruth
11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Bonner should play sparingly. To me he's the Brian Cardinal of the Spurs. He should spend most of his time cheerleading. If he has to go in he has to go in, he has to hustle and knock down a couple of three's. On defense he should try not to foul but if he has to foul take a hard one. I am tired of too many and-ones against him. That's usually a sign of someone that can't play at the NBA level. He also has to play against opponents that make sense and with either Duncan/Splitter.

ElNono
11-28-2011, 01:45 AM
A Scalabrine role would be great for Bonner... Lots of things have to happen for Matty to end up in that role. Pop man-love for him has to end, Blair needs to avoid getting fat mid-season again and Splitter needs to finally get over himself...

itzsoweezee
11-28-2011, 02:57 AM
It's almost guaranteed. Even if he doesn't start, he'll still get starter level minutes, just like he did last year.

Fireball
11-28-2011, 03:39 AM
It's almost guaranteed. Even if he doesn't start, he'll still get starter level minutes, just like he did last year.

Exactly ... he did not start very often last year, did he? But still he had too much minutes. Main thing is to stop doing the Blair/Bonner combo. If Matt is on the court, Duncan or Splitter should be as well.

chazley
11-28-2011, 03:52 AM
He didn't start last season.

chazley
11-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Worse yet,

Yea, he lost 4 championships and he basically woke up one day and forgot how to coach basketball.

Unfortunately I have to note that was sarcasm, because there are mental people on this forum who believe the above statement to be true.

therealtruth
11-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I still think Pop's a good coach but he's got to return to his defensive roots. Their defense has been pretty much horrible since 2007. The '07 team with it's aging core wasn't that great defensively yet still much better than the latest incarnations. The biggest things that have hurt are the loses of Bowen and Horry defensively and an aging Duncan. Bowen was replaced with RJ and Horry with Bonner.

silverblk mystix
11-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Yea, he lost 4 championships and he basically woke up one day and forgot how to coach basketball.

Unfortunately I have to note that was sarcasm, because there are mental people on this forum who believe the above statement to be true.

senile |ˈsēˌnīl; ˈsen-|
adjective
(of a person) having or showing the weaknesses or diseases of old age, esp. a loss of mental faculties : she couldn't cope with her senile husband.
• (of a condition) characteristic of or caused by old age : senile decay.
• Geology approaching the end of a cycle of erosion.

G-Dawgg
11-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Kawhi Leonard's skill set compliments Bonner immensely....all the rebounding and interior scoring that we lose at Bonner's position when he is on the floor we gain back at the SF position when Leonard will play along side of him... He will be alot more useful to this team when Leonard is on the floor with him. Mark my words....

lefty
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
18.3ppg
8.2 rpg

Luis Scola's numbers from last season

DMC
11-28-2011, 09:33 AM
It's amazing how senile a coach becomes after his star players' skills diminish.

Coach Pop always had some weird coaching moves. Just lately the Spurs haven't been able to overcome them.

lefty
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
It's amazing how senile a coach becomes after his star players' skills diminish.

Coach Pop always had some weird coaching moves. Just lately the Spurs haven't been able to overcome them.
He hasn't gone senile

He is overrated

Prime Duncan, Manu, Bowen, plus clutch Horry and Barry made him look better than he really is.

SA210
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
He probably will. I have no faith in Pop anymore. I watch because I grew up watching the Spurs and Manu Ginobili is one of the last great things in basketball.

dbestpro
11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Kawhi Leonard's skill set compliments Bonner immensely....all the rebounding and interior scoring that we lose at Bonner's position when he is on the floor we gain back at the SF position when Leonard will play along side of him... He will be alot more useful to this team when Leonard is on the floor with him. Mark my words....

Pop's rotations may be the most important issue for a successful season. The assemssent on Leonard and Bonner is dead on, as it is that Bonner and Blair, and Parker and Jefferson should never see the floor together.

cheguevara
11-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Spurs will have trouble making the playoffs giving Dick Jefferson and Matt Bonner 20+mpg

Spur|n|Austin
11-28-2011, 12:39 PM

That just gave me chills! I shit you not I had the same dream last night... WOW!

Muser
11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Saying this before Leonard has even played one game?

lefty
11-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Spurs will have trouble making the playoffs giving Dick Jefferson and Matt Bonner 20+mpg
Oh they wll make the playoffs

They just won't get past the 1st round

G-Dawgg
11-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Saying this before Leonard has even played one game?

It is stricly my opinion based on what Leonard's skill set is. It may be a stretch, but it really does make alot of sense to me.

Blake
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Worse yet,

who would you rather have that's available out there as coach?

Blake
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
He hasn't gone senile

He is overrated

Prime Duncan, Manu, Bowen, plus clutch Horry and Barry made him look better than he really is.

NBA head coaches are generally overrated, tbh.

lefty
11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
NBA head coaches are generally overrated, tbh.
IDK

Phil Jackson won titles in L.A with a Pippen wannabe and a fat ass who can't shoot free throws

Blake
12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
IDK

Phil Jackson won titles in L.A with a Pippen wannabe and a fat ass who can't shoot free throws

so you are saying Shaq and Kobe were overrated.

k.

lefty
12-01-2011, 11:01 AM
so you are saying Shaq and Kobe were overrated.

k.
Yes

Blake
12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes

k.

disagree.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I'll go ape shit.

Gitcha bananas ready.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Leonard can't cover Bonner's man as well as his own.

DMC
12-01-2011, 11:19 AM
He hasn't gone senile

He is overrated

That was my point.

He's not overrated, what is overrated is how coaches are considered to change the landscape of a team so much.

There's not a coach in the history of coaching that could get last years' Spurs to the Finals.

You can polish a turd all day, you still have a turd.

Pop does make some strange moves though, but so do other coaches. We just don't nit pick all of them.

Phil couldn't get a sub-par team to the Finals. He couldn't get a defending championship team there this year.

lefty
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
That was my point.

He's not overrated, what is overrated is how coaches are considered to change the landscape of a team so much.

There's not a coach in the history of coaching that could get last years' Spurs to the Finals.

You can polish a turd all day, you still have a turd.

Pop does make some strange moves though, but so do other coaches. We just don't nit pick all of them.

Phil couldn't get a sub-par team to the Finals. He couldn't get a defending championship team there this year.

Well, Phil or Riley wouldnt have won with the Spurs last year, but they sure wouldnt have played Bonner

I dont see Phil or Riles giving Ginger that much PT

Blake
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, Phil or Riley wouldnt have won with the Spurs last year, but they sure wouldnt have played Bonner

what makes you think they wouldn't have played Bonner?

ElNono
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

He isn't very good? Kinda what happened with RMJ once he left the Spurs?

Blake
12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
He isn't very good?

Then why did Pop play him?

jjktkk
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
who would you rather have that's available out there as coach?

Himself of course. silverblk mystix gots this NBA head coaching stuff all figured out.

jjktkk
12-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Most of us know Bonner is not starting material. Until they fill that 4 slot, Blair, Dice, FA, Pop will continue to overuse Bonner.

portnoy1
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
They need to fill that 4slot with Splitter or a mid-level free agent Landry or Humphries. My whole point is, that position can't be played by Committee. Blair for Rebounding, Bonner for shooting, Dice a combination of everything in short burst. Its got to be a guy who can play 30+ mins for 82games period. Then the backups can play by committee. You can't pull crap like that with starters and expect to win a championship.

Seventyniner
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Phil would've played Bonner spot minutes. What I guarantee is that he would've played Duncan and Ginobili into the ground, like 36-38 MPG.

portnoy1
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Phil would've played Bonner spot minutes. What I guarantee is that he would've played Duncan and Ginobili into the ground, like 36-38 MPG.
He may have played them into the ground but he also would've gotten them help ,meaning A wing defender and another big man, something Pop has RC have failed to do. I mean look at the lakers, a bynum/odom tandem is pretty good frankly. you have a 10/10/2 Center and a 15/10 Forward, then add a 20/10/2 F/C. And their trying to upgrade to get Howard instead of Bynum.

At the wing position, Kobe is a good defender but he is also trying to put up 25-30pts a game. Exhausting isn't it? well they get Artest for that, then thats not enough they get Barnes to back him up.

Duncan is the so called 15/10/2 Center/Foward playing next to half-decent players (Bonner/blair/Dice). Manu is the main threat at the wing, but at times Hill wasn't big enough to handle certain players so Manu had to do it and still score. Looking at the Lakers and The Spurs whats wrong with this entire picture??????????

Seventyniner
12-01-2011, 02:08 PM
He may have played them into the ground but he also would've gotten them help ,meaning A wing defender and another big man, something Pop has RC have failed to do. I mean look at the lakers, a bynum/odom tandem is pretty good frankly. you have a 10/10/2 Center and a 15/10 Forward, then add a 20/10/2 F/C. And their trying to upgrade to get Howard instead of Bynum.

At the wing position, Kobe is a good defender but he is also trying to put up 25-30pts a game. Exhausting isn't it? well they get Artest for that, then thats not enough they get Barnes to back him up.

Duncan is the so called 15/10/2 Center/Foward playing next to half-decent players (Bonner/blair/Dice). Manu is the main threat at the wing, but at times Hill wasn't big enough to handle certain players so Manu had to do it and still score. Looking at the Lakers and The Spurs whats wrong with this entire picture??????????

The difference is the willingness and ability of Buss to pay large amounts of luxury tax. Holt was only willing to pay a little if any at all. That and when the Lakers and Spurs both offer the MLE, many players will go to LA, all else being equal.

portnoy1
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
The difference is the willingness and ability of Buss to pay large amounts of luxury tax. Holt was only willing to pay a little if any at all. That and when the Lakers and Spurs both offer the MLE, many players will go to LA, all else being equal.
Partially true. I say Partially cause Holt went over the cap to pay for RJ/Dice. So for one year he was willing to do some things, but RC scouted the wrong guy and Pop misused the players he was given. Phil doesn't worry about spacing and crap like that. He's got 3 big men and he'll use em'.

PG after PG have dropped big numbers on derek fisher in the playoffs. But its all those offensive rebounds/putbacks and block shots on the other end that won 7game series for them. Spurs try to run a 3guard attack with Manu/TP/Hill like the Pistons did with Vinnie Johnson/Thomas and Dumars. Funny thing is that Pistons had a bunch of defensive rebounding bigmen, THe Spurs? not so much.

therealtruth
12-01-2011, 02:33 PM
A lot of the problems last year came from Pop misusing the guys. Bonner played too many minutes. Splitter didn't play enough. The ridiculous part is the answer Pop gave for not playing Splitter was he didn't think it would be fair to Blair/Bonner. It's not his job to be fair. It's his job to win games. We can only imagine how far TD and Splitter would have taken us but Pop never gave it a chance.

portnoy1
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
A lot of the problems last year came from Pop misusing the guys. Bonner played too many minutes. Splitter didn't play enough. The ridiculous part is the answer Pop gave for not playing Splitter was he didn't want think it would be fair to Blair/Bonner. It's not his job to be fair. It's his job to win games. We can only imagine how far TD and Splitter would have taken us but Pop never gave it a chance.
Funny!!!! I questioned those guys on the local radio show (the morning drive w/ andy and wally) I told why doesnt Pop play Novak instead of bonner because novak had a bunch of confidence, never hesistates and is the same height as bonner and more mobile. Dude said to me "What would everyone in the lockroom think of pop if anyone can come in and take their job?" I am thinking thats weird, cause thats kinda what happened to Rasho, when Nazr came to town. OH and the Spurs won that year to.

lefty
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Because he sucks major donkey ass

ElNono
12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Then why did Pop play him?

That's a question for Pop.

lefty
12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Cuzzz he spreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the floooooooor

Blake
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
That's a question for Pop.

The original question was for lefty.

Blake
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Because he sucks major donkey ass

and you have quoted Riley and Phil Jackson as saying he sucks major donkey ass?

lefty
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
and you have quoted Riley and Phil Jackson as saying he sucks major donkey ass?
" And I guarantee eveybody here ... that Bonner .... sucks major donkey ass "
Riles

ElNono
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
The original question was for lefty.

You mad I answered?

Blake
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
" And I guarantee eveybody here ... that Bonner .... sucks major donkey ass "
Riles

Link?

Blake
12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
You mad I answered?

Again, my original question was for lefty, not Pop.

If you are concerned that you might have angered someone, maybe you should ask lefty if he is mad you tried to answer for him?

ElNono
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Again, my original question was for lefty, not Pop.

Okay. Your successive question would be better answered by Pop.

If you are concerned that you might have angered someone, maybe you should ask lefty if he is mad you tried to answer for him?

Not concerned, tbh.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Popovich wants a big that can shoot. Danny Ferry, Robert Horry and now Matt Bonner fill that roll. The role is sound but the player is not. Are there any bigs available that fill that role? The closest we got now is Leonard learning a jump shot.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Funny!!!! I questioned those guys on the local radio show (the morning drive w/ andy and wally) I told why doesnt Pop play Novak instead of bonner because novak had a bunch of confidence, never hesistates and is the same height as bonner and more mobile. Dude said to me "What would everyone in the lockroom think of pop if anyone can come in and take their job?" I am thinking thats weird, cause thats kinda what happened to Rasho, when Nazr came to town. OH and the Spurs won that year to.

Didn't Rasho sprain his ankle that season?

Hint: Yes, he did.

Blake
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Not concerned, tbh.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm asking lefty for his opinion.

I already know how Pop would answer the question. I think we all do.

It would be stupid to ask him to answer it, tbh.

Blake
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It would also be pretty stupid to ask Pop about lefty's opinion.

lefty
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
It would also be pretty stupid to ask Pop about lefty's opinion.

:cry

ElNono
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your concern

Not concerned, tbh.

crc21209
12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Is there anyway Bonner can sign a contract in China so he can stay over there? :lol

Blake
12-01-2011, 08:45 PM

ElNono
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
:cry

lefty
12-01-2011, 11:26 PM
http://www.giantrobotclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/boner.gif

Spurs Brazil
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald

JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald Bonner: "I'm still going to stand out there and shoot 3s ... and make Coach Pop mad on defense." »

JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Matt Bonner, speaking to reporters in SA, says his approach to a shortened season won't change...