PDA

View Full Version : Where is George Hill?

BanditHiro
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
:huh

DPG21920
11-27-2011, 11:38 PM
He was traded to the Pacers.

BanditHiro
11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
He was traded to the Pacers.

um why?

ChuckD
11-27-2011, 11:43 PM
um why?

Um, to move up like 13-14 spots in the draft and get our SF of the future.

Buddy Holly
11-27-2011, 11:49 PM
um why?

Because he's incredibly inconsistent and overrated (by the likes of you) and was able to be traded for a SF that will eventually take over the starting spot.

timtonymanu
11-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Did you happen to miss draft day 2011?

BanditHiro
11-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Did you happen to miss draft day 2011?

yeah was there a game-day like thread for the draft?

Buddy Holly
11-27-2011, 11:58 PM
He's trolling. Move along now.

Ditty
11-28-2011, 03:24 AM
He's trolling. Move along now.

:lol

Fireball
11-28-2011, 03:36 AM
This being a troll thread or not, I will watch more Pacers games this season just to keep up with what George is doing ...

chazley
11-28-2011, 04:09 AM
It was heart breaking to see him go. George was an incredible member of the community, and showed some flashes of brilliance on the court. Him standing up to Kobe was one of my favorite George Hill moments. He should thrive in Indiana, I hope he gets his chance to shine.

And I'm praying Kawhi Leonard is all he's hyped up to be.

therealtruth
11-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Because he's incredibly inconsistent and overrated (by the likes of you) and was able to be traded for a SF that will eventually take over the starting spot.

He was too inconsistent. That airball 3 against Memphis said it all to me. Same story last year playoffs. Starts slow in Mavs series but plays excellent when Pop tells him to just play his game. Then Suns series he lays a big egg by allowing Steve Nash to waltz around him in the opener. In fact I think if we had started that series better we probably win game 1 and maybe the series. The Suns winning game 1 win shifted the momentum too much.

He wasn't a true PG and his lack of height hurt defensively.

Holden_Caulfield
11-28-2011, 05:04 AM
what do i do with my george hill jersey now?

pookenstein
11-28-2011, 05:06 AM
i will watch more pacers games this season just to keep up with what george is doing ...

+1

ChuckD
11-28-2011, 08:03 AM
I would really miss the George from two years ago, but last year's George is very replaceable.

DMC
11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
This being a troll thread or not, I will watch more Pacers games this season just to keep up with what George is doing ...
I will watch a couple of games then move on just as I did with Jax.

DMC
11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Hill had some decent aggressive moves when he felt like it. Last year he must have felt like he was a made man, because he went RJ a bit. I've never thought of him as a PG. He's a 2 guard. His court vision is worse than Tony's and that's saying a lot.

Fireball
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I will watch a couple of games then move on just as I did with Jax.

I am only able to watch the NBA games regularly since League Pass was introduced outside the USA. So George is the first Spur leaving the team that I care about. It will be interesting which role he will take in Indiana.

JR3
11-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I loved George Hill a lot! However, I realized that I liked the idea of George Hill more than his actual production. He is a great guy and has a lot to bring to the team. However, ultimately he did not have the balls it takes to perform in the playoffs. That is what our championships are built around. Players with balls.. the horrys/mario elies speedy claxtons stephen jacksons... i can go on and on. I don't think George is that guy, so while he was a good defender, I was fine with taking a risk on another defensive player with balls at a position that desperately needs them.

hater
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Hill got raped by the likes of Conley and Vasquez when he should have demolished them both. Good riddance

hater
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
why in the hell we still have Parker, Dick, Bonner and Blair is beyond me. Blow this fucking shit team up

timtonymanu
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm a big fan of Hill, but I understand why he was traded. He was a really great guy and a decent player, but he took a step back last season compared to his 2010 production. At times, he played aggressive and didn't overthink too much but there were other times where he made too many mistakes and missed his shots.

Also with the emergence of Gary Neal and the potential James Anderson has, Hill became expendable. Keeping all 3 guys who have no point guard abilities and aren't true small forwards would be redundant.

stephen jackson
11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
ehh he was replaceable now.
ill have more fun watching kawhi

Winehole23
11-28-2011, 04:53 PM
why in the hell we still have Parker, Dick, Bonner and Blair is beyond me. Blow this fucking shit team uplol preseason meltdown

same ole SpursTalk :tu

mountainballer
11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
they were just doing business. (they did a good job btw.)
Hill was a regular rotation player for a million per. that was a great deal. next year he would have asked for money in the MLE area, money the Spurs not gonna pay him. so he's no longer a good deal. Hill is worth the million, maybe 2 or 3, but not 5. at 25 it was obvious that he has reached his ceiling.
businesswise this was the best moment to trade him.
a #15 pick, a 2nd rounder and the rights for a maybe decent player (if he ever comes over).
great job FO. all the best for George Hill. it was just time to leave. his years with the Spurs will have been the best for his career.

Dex
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I think we saw the the ceiling for Hill, at least in the Spurs program. He was never going to become a Parker/Ginobili-caliber guard. He had flashes of greatness (like the Dallas series), but that's exactly what they were: flashes. Other than that, he was a mid-level talent who was overrated on defense, and couldn't consistently perform at a high level.

He may be able to put up bigger stats in a system where he is highlighted as a main weapon and playing bigger minutes, but as long as he is behind Tim/Tony/Manu, he was never going to be a star for the Spurs.

DPG21920
11-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm sad to see Hill go. I agree with some assessments (his upside was limited, he was going to command decent money...), however I always disagree when people are in love with only upside. Even though I don't think Hill has upside to be a star, no 5M per year players really are (not rookie types on rookie contracts, I'm talking FA's that command the MLE and no more). Hill is a very solid player with flashes of brilliance and that is what you get with MLE players. Hell, some don't even give you that. I just think that Hill is a very solid rotational player that can do a few things well. He has his shortcomings of course, but I believe he can be a rotational player for a title team and be productive. He's not going to be a star, but I think he will do just fine and I thought he was a very solid young player for the Spurs. Obviously, the Spurs can replace the production (in theory by all accounts) so I agree the move was a smart one because even if Leonard is a bust, you didn't give up THAT much, but Leonards upside is greater and he fills a rare void potentially.

mingus
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
the flashes of greatness shown by george were really somehwat of a gimmick. he was overlooked by defenses most of the time, and had plenty of great games against bad defenses. a lot like Leandro Barbosa was for the Suns in that respect.

SenorSpur
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I think we saw the the ceiling for Hill, at least in the Spurs program. He was never going to become a Parker/Ginobili-caliber guard. He had flashes of greatness (like the Dallas series), but that's exactly what they were: flashes. Other than that, he was a mid-level talent who was overrated on defense, and couldn't consistently perform at a high level.

He may be able to put up bigger stats in a system where he is highlighted as a main weapon and playing bigger minutes, but as long as he is behind Tim/Tony/Manu, he was never going to be a star for the Spurs.

^ This

Like everyone else, I liked Hill too - both on and off the court. I appreciated his accomplishments. I do believe, however, that he was overrated as a defender by Pop and by many Spurs fans. Like Dex stated, it was clear he had maxed out. The fact is he was simply a luxury on this team and he needed to go somewhere else where he could become a bonafide starter.

After all, had the Blazers/Rockets not conspired to swipe Nic Batum one pick ahead of the Spurs in that 2008 draft, then Hill would've never been a Spur in the first place.

Because the Spurs have been SF poor for a few years, I'm pleased at the way RC flipped Hill, as an asset, in exchange Kawai and some other possible young players.