PDA

View Full Version : Pippen might be Phil's assistant

ducks
06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Pippen might be Phil's assistant

June 16, 2005

Phil Jackson might have one of his former Bulls stars next to him on the bench with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Orange County Register reported that Jackson has asked Scottie Pippen to be one of his assistant coaches.

Pippen, who was unavailable for comment Wednesday, said last season he had no interest in being an assistant coach. But Pippen, 39, served as a mentor for the Bulls' young players after his physical condition prevented him from playing. The Bulls bought out Pippen's contract before this season, and he has been doing television commentary during the playoffs.

Bulls operations chief John Paxson has said he thinks Pippen would make a terrific coach.

Pippen played 11 seasons for Jackson with the Bulls and was the only player to team with Michael Jordan on all six championship teams.

Jackson said he envisions Lamar Odom playing point forward the way Pippen did for the Bulls.

Jackson said his first call was to triangle-offense guru Tex Winter to offer him a job as a consultant. Frank Hamblen also is likely to join Jackson's staff.

One of Jackson's first observations upon returning to the Lakers was that he would be ''most amazed'' if they were in position to contend for a championship during the life of his three-year contract.

''He said the same thing when we hired him the first time,'' general manager Mitch Kupchak recalled. ''I hope the same thing unfolds.''

Jackson has been known to sandbag, but that assessment makes sense considering the roster he has to work with and the Lakers' salary-cap situation for the next two years.

When Jackson was hired the first time in 1999, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant were young superstars on the rise, and they were complemented by several established role players. The result was three straight championships and four NBA Finals appearances in five years before Jackson was dismissed last June.

Now, there's Bryant and a mostly mediocre supporting cast. Odom and Caron Butler, obtained from Miami in the O'Neal trade last summer, certainly have talent. Otherwise, it's not a pretty picture.

Even with all the injuries the Lakers experienced last season, 34-48 was no accident.

Jackson said last month while considering a return that the Lakers' roster was ''unappealing, underachieving and salary-cap strapped.''

On Tuesday, Jackson offered a slightly different spin, saying: ''I meant that from the standpoint that it's a glutted roster, not the people per se.''

There are too many small forwards, all right, and the Lakers would love to move several players who are under contract for next season. The likes of Devean George, Jumaine Jones, Slava Medvedenko, Brian Cook and Chucky Atkins might be attractive trade bait for teams trying to rebuild under the cap. Their contracts all expire after next season.

Kupchak doesn't expect a high turnover.

''The salary cap is a challenge for everybody,'' he said. ''But even if you're over the salary cap, there are ways to improve your team.''

One player who the Lakers would love to move but almost surely won't be able to is Brian Grant, also acquired in the O'Neal deal. Grant is owed $14.3 million for next season and $15.4 million for 2006-2007.

1Parker1
06-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Damn, how the hell does Bryant Grant make that much money??! He sucks!

1Parker1
06-16-2005, 12:07 PM
That'd be pretty great if they could get Pippen to be assistant coach. He could do wonders for Lamar Odom, who I think has the potential to be a complementary player to Kobe.

caŽlo
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
doesnt odom hate kobe?

ducks
06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Damn, how the hell does Bryant Grant make that much money??! He sucks!

how do you think the lakers could have traded shaq
shaq make around 33-34 million a year

spurschick
06-16-2005, 12:29 PM
doesnt odom hate kobe?

doesn't EVERYONE hate Kobe?
:lol

duncan_21
06-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I can see it now:

phillip: Scottie, what do you think we should do?

Scottie: Coach, I got a migraine, my head hurts.

phillip: but there's one second in the game I need to draw up a play

Scottie: sorry, I'm going to the training room