PDA

View Full Version : Possible FA targets?

Pages : [1] 2

jiggy_55
11-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Let's keep this thread for any possible and realistic free agents who could sign for the Spurs..

What positions are most likely to be addressed and who would you like the Spurs to target/sign this upcoming Free Agency?

therealtruth
11-29-2011, 03:42 AM
I think some of the guys they have to look at are Ronnie Price, Earl Watson, and Anthony Carter for backup PG. For backup big there's Deandre Jordan, Tony Battie, and Francisco Elson. Those guys are in a realistic price range and can actually help the defense.

Dex
11-29-2011, 03:49 AM
I initially shudder at the thought of bringing Elson back....and then I remember who our frontline consists of, and realize that Francisco would arguably be the best option out of all of them sans Tim.

*sigh* :depressed

chazley
11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
I think some of the guys they have to look at are Ronnie Price, Earl Watson, and Anthony Carter for backup PG. For backup big there's Deandre Jordan, Tony Battie, and Francisco Elson. Those guys are in a realistic price range and can actually help the defense.

None of those players are appealing, except for DeAndre who has zero chance of coming here with our current cap situation.

Mr. Body
11-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Wowee, the FA crop this year is somewhere between shit and a pile of shit.

Maddog
11-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Jeff Foster?
A little long in the tooth but still serviceable.
distant connection to SA and the area.
Might not wish to leave Indy after so long.

admiralsnackbar
11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Jeff Foster?
A little long in the tooth but still serviceable.
distant connection to SA and the area.
Might not wish to leave Indy after so long.
I get the feeling he is much-loved in Indy. He's the only lifer on the Pacers, I think.

mathbzh
11-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Gelabale.
Cheap, long athletic SF, defense, 3pt shooting, clutch.

Maddog
11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I get the feeling he is much-loved in Indy. He's the only lifer on the Pacers, I think.
My thought too, however he would be a good fit- rotation of him, Tim, Tiago and Blair

spursince#99
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Kris Humphries - Shane Battier - Samuel Dalembert - DeAndre Jordan in that order

Seventyniner
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Kris Humphries - Shane Battier - Samuel Dalembert - DeAndre Jordan in that order

The only one of those in the Spurs' price range is Battier. Unless the Spurs use the amnesty on RJ (unlikely IMO), they'll only have the tax-level MLE to work with ($3 million or less starting salary, 1-3 year contract) along with minimum contracts.

Fireball
11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I just hate Dalembert ... he does have no BBIQ at all and is a black hole. In the Spurs system you have to share the damn ball ... and yes, that includes you TP!

Bruno
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I've said it before the lockout but if Spurs want to sign a cheap vet backup PG, Earl Watson is the best option by far.

sasffl
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
DeAndre is imppossible to get unless Clippers accept RJ

Fireball
11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Is it possible to trade RJ for Tyson Chandler?

Chandler is a free agent and has yet to sign a contract, so he cannot be traded. The Spurs do not have the money to sign Chandler and any team who signs him will not trade him for RJ.

Fireball
11-29-2011, 11:08 AM
DeAndre is imppossible to get unless Clippers accept RJ

You completely changd your statement ... what about Chandler? :lol

DPG21920
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I've said it before the lockout but if Spurs want to sign a cheap vet backup PG, Earl Watson is the best option by far.

I'd prefer Pargo or TJ Ford over Watson

cheguevara
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
what ever happened to Mikael Pietrus?

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Believe it or not, I wouldn't mind it if they brought back Beno. I don't know what his contract status is, but he's seemingly a better player now than he was when he left - and hopefully more mature.

Fireball
11-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Beno does not defend, does he? I know Cory Joseph seems far from NBA ready, but you could try to use him especially on defense while e.g. Manu is handling the ball on offense.

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 11:40 AM
what ever happened to Mikael Pietrus?

He's still under contract for the Suns.

Back in June, Pietrus exercised a player option to extend his contract. He's currently making $5.3 mil.

In August, he had a right knee arthroscopy to remove loose bodies. Supposedly, he finished with rehabilitation by end of that month.

Texas_Ranger
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Beno's got a $6,925,400 contract for this season and $7,372,200 player option for next one. And Beno playes like shit when he comes of the bench, it's like he's not even trying.

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Beno's got a $6,925,400 contract for this season and $7,372,200 player option for next one. And Beno playes like shit when he comes of the bench, it's like he's not even trying.

Forget what I said.

Nevermind.

5in10
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd prefer Pargo or TJ Ford over Watson

This.

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Kenyon Martin is a guy that's kind of intriguing to me. Would bring some much needed toughness not only to the front line but to the whole team in general. He's an average offensive player who has his moments and has always been an underrated defender IMO.

Health and attitude could be a concern. Do you guys see him getting a big contract at 33 years old?

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Assuming he can get away from china.

johnnyblues
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Any chance we can grab Nene?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnR8l_7PyqYck8bVPAeQf0C8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Any chance we can grab Nene?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnR8l_7PyqYck8bVPAeQf0C8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911

Lol no.

Trill Clinton
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Kenyon Martin is a guy that's kind of intriguing to me. Would bring some much needed toughness not only to the front line but to the whole team in general. He's an average offensive player who has his moments and has always been an underrated defender IMO.

Health and attitude could be a concern. Do you guys see him getting a big contract at 33 years old?

If he can fix his attitude and not attempt more than 5 shots a game, I'd take him if the money was right.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-29-2011, 03:44 PM

I agree 100 percent. He is a solid reliable vet. On a side note...Spurstalk need to add a 'Like' button.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM

He and Earl Watson would be two great signings. Kenyon Martin has an attitude problem but I think it lies within his passion of the game. He would be a solid replacement to McDyess. And Martin can hit the outside jumper plus provide some toughness to team (ala Mario Elie).

lefty
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
We are so fucked

Mr. Body
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
We are so fucked

dylankerouac
11-29-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree 100 percent. He is a solid reliable vet. On a side note...Spurstalk need to add a 'Like' button.

And a thanks button/counter for the quality posters.

TD 21
11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't count on the Spurs signing another center. They view Duncan and Splitter as their centers and they project to be one of the best duos at center in the league, so don't be surprised if the third center is really a power forward.

You can count on whatever big they bring in being at least a competent mid range shooter. That's why I could see them having varying degrees of interest in Murphy, McRoberts, Shawne and Shelden Williams (though I fully expect Shawne to re-sign with the Knicks), Smith and Clark.

At the point, I'd be surprised if they didn't sign Pargo. It projects to be a non rotation spot and I can't see them signing an established vet to fill that role. I suspect they'll want young, cheap, hungry, energetic, non-entitled players to fill out the roster.

DPG21920
11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Some cheap wing players if you trade RJ and want a little more depth: CDR and Anthony Parker. Parker in particular seems like a Spurs type player.

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd rather have TJ ford for the backup PG spot.

Dex
11-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Some cheap wing players if you trade RJ and want a little more depth: CDR and Anthony Parker. Parker in particular seems like a Spurs type player.

Subbing in for Tony Parker....'Tony Parker. :wow

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Need to trade RJ for a decent Big Man then make a run at some of the 3s out there with the MLE.

5in10
11-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Kenyon Martin cant come back until March, same with Wilson Chandler.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Man, it's going to be insane starting training camp and free agency on the same day. I guess the Spurs can be glad they have a fairly full roster from day one.

DPG21920
11-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Ya, there are teams with like 7 players under contract only :lol

MR.SILVER&BLack
11-29-2011, 08:21 PM
best option is moving RJ for a big and using the very limited money the spurs have to use to sign a vet SF and some no name PG whos waiting to breakout & make a name for himself.

but i think the spurs have a chance( a very little chance) at siging Nene. it all depends on how he liked working with the spurs players during the lockout & if he wants to win right away. spurs sign Nene and spurs are the favorites to come out the west. of course it would only be for a 1 year.

Nathan89
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
best option is moving RJ for a big and using the very limited money the spurs have to use to sign a vet SF and some no name PG whos waiting to breakout & make a name for himself.

but i think the spurs have a chance( a very little chance) at siging Nene. it all depends on how he liked working with the spurs players during the lockout & if he wants to win right away. spurs sign Nene and spurs are the favorites to come out the west. of course it would only be for a 1 year.

I don't think anyone wants to trade for Rj.

We can't sign Nene.

Spursfan092120
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Fuck........that guy.

Pop would not bring a guy with that attitude onto the Spurs.

Spursfan092120
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM

That would be amazing.

Big P
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM

We have no chance at signing Nene.

DarkGinobili
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM

:toast

dbestpro
11-29-2011, 09:29 PM

Could be signed in March as a late season addition.

MaNu4Tres
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM

I'd rather create more playing time for Leonard and Anderson by giving Neal the limited back up PG minutes. (8-10 mpg in competitive games shouldn't be too overwhelming for Neal, especially if he shares the court w/Manu; at the same time 10-18 mpg in blowouts shouldn't be too overwhelming either--given the blowout circumstance.)

Spurs don't need a TJ Ford. IMO What they need is to find minutes for their most talented young prospects (Anderson/Leonard).

Kyle Orton
11-29-2011, 09:42 PM
A better question for you Spur fans is who the fuck would want to go to San Antonio?

ChumpDumper
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
A better question for you Spur fans is who the fuck would want to go to San Antonio?Someone always seems to come along.

Bruno
11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Nene isn't a that unrealistic target providing 2 big conditions:
- Spurs are Nene's first choice.
- Spurs are ready to offer him a big contract.

After that, it's a S&T with an UFA. Denver isn't in a strength situation because Nene can just say "if you don't do the S&T with Spurs, I'm going to a team below the cap and you will get nothing for me."

A S&T for Nene could be Nene for Dice+Blair+Butler+Green+Cash+1ste.
Green, Butler and Dice are just included to match salaries and all three will be waived by Nuggets. With that package, Nene's contract can start at almost $10M.
The cash is to paid Dice trade kicker and his remaining guaranteed salary and makes his inclusion financially neutral for the Nuggets.
At the end, Nuggets will get Blair and a 1st round pick. That's not as good as Nene but it's better than the nothing they will get if he signs to a team under the cap.

yavozerb
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
A better question for you Spur fans is who the fuck would want to go to San Antonio?

Do you know what "qu si" means? It means "go to hell" in chinese, probably should get used to this phrase since the Denver front office has to here this daily when looking for there players...:lol

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 10:17 PM

After that, it's a S&T with an UFA. Denver isn't in a strength situation because Nene can just say "if you don't do the S&T with Spurs, I'm going to a team below the cap and you will get nothing for me."

While one has to consider the source (local sports talk radio in Dallas), yet the claim is Nene's first choices are Dallas and Miami. Have you heard anything about that?

Bruno
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
While one has to consider the source (local sports talk radio in Dallas), yet the claim is Nene's first choices are Dallas and Miami. Have you heard anything about that?

I don't know what teams are Nene's first choices but I wouldn't trust a Dallas radio guy on that.

Mel_13
11-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Probably wishful thinking based on an article posted on Yahoo:

Nene won’t lack for suitors. The Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers are among the teams that figure to have interest.

Nene, 29, says he wants to play for a contender – perhaps at the expense of a more lucrative contract elsewhere. The Heat and Mavericks, who will both be over the salary cap, should be happy to hear that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnWKusGiPSaJrmVVXKdsp2w5nYcB?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911

Mark in Austin
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I suppose it's possible he would want to come to SA if he and Splitter are tight. But I'm not holding my breath.

SenorSpur
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I suppose it's possible he would want to come to SA if he and Splitter are tight. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Splitter relationship could only enhance matters.

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 11:09 PM

It's only an hour from Austin.

lol

DesignatedT
11-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Wasn't Nene working out down here during the lockout? There was a pic floating around somewhere on the board I think.

Anyhow, Highly doubt that happens although I would be thrilled.

Mel_13
11-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Wasn't Nene working out down here during the lockout? There was a pic floating around somewhere on the board I think.

Anyhow, Highly doubt that happens although I would be thrilled.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185287

gospursgojas
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Teams and agents can talk tomorrow

ducks
11-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Wowee, the FA crop this year is somewhere between shit and a pile of shit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj.QPAa2U9ygDle4cwMrghC8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911
NENE:flag:

ducks
11-30-2011, 12:01 AM
spurs signed manu and rj for 4 million less each they would have more money

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
spurs signed manu and rj for 4 million less each they would have more money

So you're saying that if the Spurs spent less in the past, they would have more in the present?

Brilliant!

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:11 AM

Green, Butler and Dice are just included to match salaries and all three will be waived by Nuggets. With that package, Nene's contract can start at almost $10M.
The cash is to paid Dice trade kicker and his remaining guaranteed salary and makes his inclusion financially neutral for the Nuggets.
At the end, Nuggets will get Blair and a 1st round pick. That's not as good as Nene but it's better than the nothing they will get if he signs to a team under the cap.

Wouldn't Spurs have to do something to get far enough below the LT in order for this to work?

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Wouldn't Spurs have to do something to get far enough below the LT in order for this to work?

The restrictions for taxpayers on S&Ts do not kick in until the third year of the new CBA.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Are you sure, Mel? I was under the impression that the only thing grandfathered for years 1&2 was the luxury tax.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
In all honestly, how would yall feel as soon as you heard the confirmation that we have acquired Nene?

How much of a contender would we become?

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Are you sure, Mel? I was under the impression that the only thing grandfathered for years 1&2 was the luxury tax.

See paragraph 11:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_JqVMjKAfLYNzU3YzVlNDAtMDBlOS00Y2UwLWE5ZTI tM2RkZTdjN2FmMzI4&hl=en_US

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Well damn

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Well damn

:lol

You had to know that Bruno wouldn't suggest a transaction that wasn't allowed under the new CBA.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-30-2011, 12:45 AM
I feel like this will happen.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-30-2011, 12:46 AM
tbh, the Heat or Mavericks would be very tempting teams to sign with, but Nene seems like the kind of player that would just prefer being with the Spurs.

Especially because of his friendship with Splitter.
This season, Nene and Duncan can mold Splitter into a beast in the paint,
and once Duncan retires. We'll have the all mighty Brazilian frontcourt.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:47 AM

You had to know that Bruno wouldn't suggest a transaction that wasn't allowed under the new CBA.

:lol Very true. Should have been an automatic tip off.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Mel, the reason I was confused was because of Dwight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dwight would be eligible for an extension, therefore an Extend and Trade, not a Sign and Trade, correct?

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Mel, the reason I was confused was because of Dwight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dwight would be eligible for an extension, therefore an Extend and Trade, not a Sign and Trade, correct?

Correct.

Dwight can only sign a new contract after he becomes a free agent.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
I just don't see Nene as realistic due to the fact other teams could make stronger offers and still be appealing to Nene and I can't fathom the Spurs spending a lot of money.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Correct.

Dwight can only sign a new contract after he becomes a free agent.

So if he exercises his ETO after this year, then he could do that.

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 12:57 AM
So if he exercises his ETO after this year, then he could do that.

That's my understanding.

DMC
11-30-2011, 01:01 AM
If we could get Tiago to play it would be a refreshing change.

MR.SILVER&BLack
11-30-2011, 01:38 AM

this. Gurantee Nene would enjoy playing for the spurs since they are the best with dealing with international players & making them comfortable. along with a mature & professional group of players.

but again its a hard deal to make but its not impossible like everyone thinks.

Bruno
11-30-2011, 02:30 AM
I just don't see Nene as realistic due to the fact other teams could make stronger offers and still be appealing to Nene and I can't fathom the Spurs spending a lot of money.

Money would certainly be a problem but you can imagine a scenario were Spurs do other trade(s) that save some money.

For example, Clippers are looking to get a SF and they could be tempted to do a RJ for Gomes swap. Trading Bonner shouldn't be do complicate to do and could too allow Spurs to wave some money.

On a more global note, Spurs are in a tough situation. They have a flawed roster but they don't really great trade assets or cap space to improve it. Because of that I'm not really optimistic about Spurs' FO being able to do some great trades to improve the team. I expect more Spurs' decline to continue. In two or three years, the most exciting moment of the season for Spurs' fans would be the lottery draft day.

edgar
11-30-2011, 02:40 AM
don't say that you BASTARD!

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-30-2011, 03:00 AM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31418371

Take that into consideration. I know he isn't willing to go that low, but this coupled with training with Duncan, Nene knowing Pop is a championship coach, and that the Spurs are a championship winning team with the right pieces, might help a whole lot.

analyzed
11-30-2011, 03:20 AM
What do you think about getting AK47

can we afford him?
From cnnsi:
Andrei Kirilenko

Kirilenko can swing between both forward positions, but we’ll lump him in here because he’s played much more small forward over the last few seasons in Utah. If Kirilenko does switch teams, it will be fascinating to watch how he changes with age (he’s 30, and plays a very athletic style) and in an offense other than Utah’s movement- and cut-heavy flex. He can help on both ends in the right home, but if he becomes even more addicted to long jumpers that he hits at a below-average rate, he could be a disappointment.

Fireball
11-30-2011, 03:24 AM
What do you think about getting AK47?

Not a bad idea, but can we wait until the end of January?

http://www.bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/2011-articles/november/kirilenko-out-until-january-with-shoulder-injury.html

analyzed
11-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Not a bad idea, but can we wait until the end of January?

http://www.bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/2011-articles/november/kirilenko-out-until-january-with-shoulder-injury.html

On the other hand , this could be a opporutnity for a steal, an under the radar move. that seems un-atractive in appearance but could reap long term benefits. Just like how everyone was afraid of drafting Blair due to the injury scare. This just might work in the Spurs favor who actually are not in the best position, leverage wise. At the end of the day, whats being out one month in the bigger scheme of things. If he wins one playoff game for us, thats worth all the risk

Fireball
11-30-2011, 05:17 AM
I also am not afraid of the risk in picking him up ... having a temporary fill-in player for the first month of the season should not be a problem.

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:25 AM
just think guys,

if we got Nene and then Nocioni,.....!!!!

wow!!!!!

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:26 AM
i also like Kirilenko, he could sub for Manu!!!!!

oh yeahhhhh

cutewizard
11-30-2011, 05:26 AM
the Detroit forward is also available

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2011, 08:08 AM
the Detroit forward is also available

only prince and monroe is worth lookin at, the rest are overrated players on bottom feeder team

The III
11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I like David West

Maddog
11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I like David West

Big gamble.
31 coming off a knee injury. Slightly undersized power forward. Part of his productivity might be related to playing with CP3

The III
11-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Good call Maddog.

hater
11-30-2011, 10:30 AM

this is because you are using your godgiven brain and common sense.

DMC
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
this. Gurantee Nene would enjoy playing for the spurs since they are the best with dealing with international players & making them comfortable. along with a mature & professional group of players.

but again its a hard deal to make but its not impossible like everyone thinks.
If Nene wants it, he can make it possible. The big 5 can play on the same team if they want to take the pay cut.

I don't think it's likely enough to warrant considerable thought. I'd like to see it happen too though.

mountainballer
11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
what is the most likely?

remember, Spurs currently have the 3rd expensive team in the league.
and with this expensive roster they go nowhere. (they will make the PO, but same story as last year is ahead).
does really anyone see the Spurs use the exceptions and skyrocket the payroll close to 80 million? (Leonards rookie contract cost another 2 million) and still go nowhere, b/c a MLE player won't take us anywhere.

I'm pretty sure we will see some cost saving moves in the first place.
(remember, amnesty used on RJ isn't cost saving, when Spurs are not in tax land. Holt still has to pay him) the reason why Holt wanted the amnesty option to be used whenever a team chooses during the new CBA is that they want have it available in 2012, when the real moves for the furture will be made.
however. first moves will try to bring Spurs under the threshold. (let's guess 70 million). that's why they will just waive Dice. (saves them 2.6M). and they will entertain some more cost saving trade scenarios (Bonner) what might cost them some assets (picks?).
then they will fill the roster with minimum veterans, maybe hope for a amnesty steal.
but we will not see a major or mid level FA signing.

we can hope that Tiago breaks out, Leonard is an immediate boost, Blair has lost 20lbs and learned some defense, Anderson is on track. then the Spurs will look good. (without being a contender).

Nathan89
11-30-2011, 12:12 PM
^ Finally someone post something realistic. Were not getting any of the players mentioned in this thread.

I just hope we can pick some amnesty player up or make a little trade. I need more things to look forward to. Leonard,Neal,Tiago,Big 3, is what I can't wait to see. I'm dreading Blair,Bonner, and Rj. I just need a little more unknown to spark my interest.

lurker23
11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
@KBergCBS Ken Berger
Six teams have expressed early interest in UFA Caron Butler: Nets, Clippers, Bulls, Heat, Spurs and Knicks, per sources. #NBA
https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS/status/141940306173104128

lurker23
11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
@KBergCBS Ken Berger
Though two of those teams have room (Nets, Clips), both are chasing bigger prizes. So Butler probably looking at MLE or close to it.
https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS/status/141941215825379328

@KBergCBS Ken Berger
Line of communication also open between Mavs and Butler's reps as everyone feels out new rules and opening of team-agent dialogue.

https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS/status/141941431722979329

----

Hard for me to imagine the Spurs signing Butler without RJ being gone in one manner or another.

TimmehC
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
The fu...

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Rather have him than RJ but don't see how that would happen realistically and not overly thrilled. Not going to have full MLE to offer and even if they did I don't see them using it. Can't see a sign and trade scenario w/ Dallas so don't see how this is realistic.

mrose31
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Free agents Spurs should realistically go after. Not big difference makers but could really help the team.

T. Prince
C. Landry
Grant Hill
S. Battier

Killakobe81
11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Money would certainly be a problem but you can imagine a scenario were Spurs do other trade(s) that save some money.

For example, Clippers are looking to get a SF and they could be tempted to do a RJ for Gomes swap. Trading Bonner shouldn't be do complicate to do and could too allow Spurs to wave some money.

On a more global note, Spurs are in a tough situation. They have a flawed roster but they don't really great trade assets or cap space to improve it. Because of that I'm not really optimistic about Spurs' FO being able to do some great trades to improve the team. I expect more Spurs' decline to continue. In two or three years, the most exciting moment of the season for Spurs' fans would be the lottery draft day.

One of teh advantages the spurs have on the Lakers is I think the Spur fanbase (for the most part) will accept this and realize that the lottery though not the fastest but still the best way to get back to glory especially if a Dwight, duncan, Shaq, lebron type is the #1 pick and you get it. Spurs have already hit the jackpot twice ...now they just have to time it so they get on eof those guys and NOT a Olowokandi or Oden ...

Bruno
11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Hard for me to imagine the Spurs signing Butler without RJ being gone in one manner or another.

Agree, either in a trade or through the amnesty clause.

Fireball
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Free agents Spurs should realistically go after. Not big difference makers but could really help the team.

T. Prince
C. Landry
Grant Hill
S. Battier

Grant Hill is my favorite out of these four ... we just need another G. Hill :toast

DesignatedT
11-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Move RJ for a serviceable big and sign Prince.

Killakobe81
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
But Grant Hill would be agreat fit on the spurs, Lakers I dont see why he would choose Celts or Heat his best talent facilitating mid-range would be wasted since Lebron and Rondo and Pierce already domiante the ball for those teams ...

jesterbobman
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM
That, to me, suggests an RJ trade. Otherwise, I see no point in that interest.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Do not buy into those types of reports. People will say whatever they can for their own self interest and often infer things out of no where. People always use the Spurs name in speculation.

Ditty
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Giving Caron Bulter the MLE coming off wouldn't be smart. Spurs are in a win now situation no way they don't spend there MLE even if there in the luxary tax. Yeah I don't think they will get Nene or Chandler in which I think they both want a payday. Another way I see us going after Butler, is if Spurs have plans on amnesty or trading RJ because I don't see Butler backing or starting in front of RJ, while Leonard is riding the bench all year like Anderson was. Anderson and Leonard are too talented to not be playing quality minutes this year, and rather both of them be playing over Butler.

Ditty
11-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Grant Hill and Carl Landry, with trading RJ and Dice for a 7 footer somehow even if it means giving up this years 1st round pick would be a complete summer.

Ditty
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
or fall lol.

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
what is the most likely?

remember, Spurs currently have the 3rd expensive team in the league.
and with this expensive roster they go nowhere. (they will make the PO, but same story as last year is ahead).
does really anyone see the Spurs use the exceptions and skyrocket the payroll close to 80 million? (Leonards rookie contract cost another 2 million) and still go nowhere, b/c a MLE player won't take us anywhere.

I'm pretty sure we will see some cost saving moves in the first place.
(remember, amnesty used on RJ isn't cost saving, when Spurs are not in tax land. Holt still has to pay him) the reason why Holt wanted the amnesty option to be used whenever a team chooses during the new CBA is that they want have it available in 2012, when the real moves for the furture will be made.
however. first moves will try to bring Spurs under the threshold. (let's guess 70 million). that's why they will just waive Dice. (saves them 2.6M). and they will entertain some more cost saving trade scenarios (Bonner) what might cost them some assets (picks?).
then they will fill the roster with minimum veterans, maybe hope for a amnesty steal.
but we will not see a major or mid level FA signing.

we can hope that Tiago breaks out, Leonard is an immediate boost, Blair has lost 20lbs and learned some defense, Anderson is on track. then the Spurs will look good. (without being a contender).

I think you've nailed it.

There may be a trade, but it probably won't be big and it definitely won't bloat the payroll.

For the most part, last year's team without Dice and Hill. Increased minutes for Tiago, Neal, and Anderson will account for most of those losses. Leonard will need to be a very fast learner to get significant minutes.

dylankerouac
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Lots of Twitter feeds about Spurs interested in Caron Buttler.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/caron%20butler%2C%20spurs

dylankerouac
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Minus the extra T. Now he definitely is not coming.

Fireball
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't know about Butler ... we already have a player with this name who tries to come back after a knee injury. But Carons wasn't as complicated, was it?

Trill Clinton
11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I'll give my source a call when I get off and see if he's heard anything.

Mel_13
11-30-2011, 05:29 PM
:lmao

"The Spurs wanted Fabricio Oberto to be the fifth center, but that was before the lockout. We will see if they still want him," said his agent Carlos Prunes.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

lol Nene and Al Jeff

Obstructed_View
11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Duncan's listed as a free agent on some sites, and one article talks about the teams he could contribute to. Any realistic chance he's not part of the team this season?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
that report about Butler came from his agent. its pretty obvious. oberto's agent is probably praying the spurs are interested and talking to anyone who will listen.

right now 90% of the unlisted sources are agents because they have a week to get their clients signed and working with a team. we are not going to see machinations like anthony to controlling his destination.

this is going to be a quick wham-bam thank you ma'am and surprises are assured.

DesignatedT
11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Spurs need to unload RJ and Blair/Bonner for a decent 4 and then sign a SF like Prince, Battier or Butler.

ajballer4
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Grant Hill is my favorite out of these four ... we just need another G. Hill :toast

...And wear #3 so my jersey isnt a complete waste of money

Dex
11-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Duncan's listed as a free agent on some sites, and one article talks about the teams he could contribute to. Any realistic chance he's not part of the team this season?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no way in hell.

Chomag
11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Dear Lord! All I can say Spurs should be going hard at Nene, probably the hardest they have ever gone after a FA in franchise history. Maybe even harder then they did when TD was becoming a free agent.

I never paid much attention to him before but after watching vids of him I realy love his play style. He is exactly what the Spurs need right now. Such an underrated player.

ays9bZnKXkA&feature=related

Imagine Duncan and Nene holding the front court together. I would love to see these guys go to war holding the trenches together

dylankerouac
11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Wow, I can see why Nene was unhappy about the Nuggets taking forever for a contract extension. The dude is a beast.

edgar
11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
""Ring Ring""

Nene's Agent: Hello
Pop: The Spurs are interested in Nene.
Nene's Agent: So is the rest of the league.
Pop: Yes but are they prepared to offer him a testicle?

"click"

Pop: ....hello?

DarkGinobili
11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
""Ring Ring""

Nene's Agent: Hello
Pop: The Spurs are interested in Nene.
Nene's Agent: So is the rest of the league.
Pop: Yes but are they prepared to offer him a testicle?

"click"

Pop: ....hello?

LOL:lmao:lmao

Ice009
11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Butler and Battier are targets, Oberto may sign as the 5th big. We will look to improve by trade.

Why is Butler a target? Why would the Spurs want him? and why are you only just saying this today after numerous other sources mentioned it? Why didn't you bring it up a couple of days ago if you knew Butler was a target?

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
:lol ICE, it's his schtick.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2011, 02:13 AM
why would grant hill come here when there are other teams he can goto that will contend

Maddog
12-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Why is Butler a target? Why would the Spurs want him? and why are you only just saying this today after numerous other sources mentioned it? Why didn't you bring it up a couple of days ago if you knew Butler was a target?

:lol ICE, it's his schtick.
:rollin

On a serious note
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/11/former_trail_blazers_center_jo.html
Might be worth a look

MaNu4Tres
12-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Butler and Battier are targets, Oberto may sign as the 5th big. We will look to improve by trade.

Leave the original thoughts to T2Step.

lol

Mel_13
12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
T2S haz sources...

http://www.maniacworld.com/copy-and-paste-babies.jpg

Maddog
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I think a few reasonable bigs-
the three Js
Josh McRoberts
Jeff Foster
Joel Przybilla
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/11/former_trail_blazers_center_jo.html

Nope- none are Dwight Howard- but probably all within the Spurs Budget.
Put them over the top?
Nope- but helpful.

jiggy_55
12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
T2S haz sources...

http://www.maniacworld.com/copy-and-paste-babies.jpg

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

ace3g
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
In addition to Chi & Wash, Bos, NJ, Den, NO, SA & ATL have had multiple conversations with reps for Josh Howard, sources say.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Ace, we have the same source!

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Spurs showing interest in SF's can mean many things:

1) They are confident in an RJ trade to improve upfront or that they will trade away Kawhi to improve up front and they need depth.

2) Could be all smoke to make people think the Spurs have deals working for RJ

3) They aren't confident in Leonard's ability to contribute right away

4) They are just doing due dilligence on players of interest since there are quite a few SFs in FA

Fireball
12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Josh Howard? I hope its all smoke ...

TimmehC
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Butler and now Howard? This is very suspicious. What the hell do they have planned?

TimmehC
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Butler and now Howard? This is very suspicious. What the hell do they have planned?

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM

For the money he's likely to make, I'd rather have him than RJ. It's pretty likely the Spurs feel the same way, and are looking at small forwards to determine if they use the amnesty clause on RJ now or later. If you have nobody to fall back on, then RJ is an insurance policy, albeit an expensive one.

tdunk21
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
josh howard is so limited to only mid range game and I rarely saw him take 3 point shots, but he gets to the basket and I doubt if he has that in him anymore. but anyone is better than RJ....

baseline bum
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Haha, that'll sell well in a military town.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Haha, that'll sell well in a military town.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

lefty
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
FakeCoachPop (http://twitter.com/#%21/FakeCoachPop) Gregory Popovich

If you ever hear a rumor of a free agent I'm going to sign, it means I have absolutely zero interest in them. ZERO.

MaNu4Tres
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM

4) They are just doing due diligence on players of interest since there are quite a few SFs in FA

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Boki Nachbar is returning from Europe still w/ great rep for shooting well, working hard: Raptors, Nets, Knicks, Spurs, Sixers checking in.

MaNu4Tres
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
With the latest interest in small forwards (Butler, Howard, Nachbar), Captain Obvious says they must feel pretty confident a RJ trade will get done-- most likely packaged with Dice or Blair or both.

NASpurs
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM

:lol It's funny because he's a pothead.

TimmehC
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
With the latest interest in small forwards (Butler, Howard, Nachbar), Captain Obvious says they must feel pretty confident a RJ trade will get done-- most likely packaged with Dice or Blair or both.

There's also the amnesty route. I doubt any team wants to take RJ back in a trade.

CGD
12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Under the new CBA, does a team acquiring a new player in trade reserve the right to apply the "amnesty" clause?

For example, if the Spurs send RJ to the Nuggets as part of a sign-and-trade package for Nene, do the Nuggets retain the right to apply the amnesty clause on RJ?

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Under the new CBA, does a team acquiring a new player in trade reserve the right to apply the "amnesty" clause?

For example, if the Spurs send RJ to the Nuggets as part of a sign-and-trade package for Nene, do the Nuggets retain the right to apply the amnesty clause on RJ?

Won't be known until the final version of the new CBA is written and signed.

The draft agreement doesn't specifically address that point.

MaNu4Tres
12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I doubt any team wants to take RJ back in a trade.

A team in need of a small forward wouldn't necessarily puke at the chance to take on a player who still managed to average 11 per game on 44% shooting from three (not to mention having one of the highest TS% in the league), all while being the 5th option. Especially if they could amnesty the player as soon as next off-season if he doesn't work out (they may be able to amnesty him as soon as this year but I'm not too sure; Mel? Bruno? Bueller?). And especially if other assets were tied to the deal such as McDyess' partially guaranteed expiring and/or Blair.

CGD
12-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Won't be known until the final version of the new CBA is written and signed.

The draft agreement doesn't specifically address that point.

Thanks. So many things are going to happen in such a short window. I'm excited to be back on this forum to keep up with developments.

Concerning the Spurs, I'm curious to see how Dice's partially guaranteed deal is going to be treated (e.g., did it become fully guaranteed or not?), as well as what Duncan plans to do after this year (e.g., restructure his last year in exchange for more years).

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks. So many things are going to happen in such a short window. I'm excited to be back on this forum to keep up with developments.

Concerning the Spurs, I'm curious to see how Dice's partially guaranteed deal is going to be treated (e.g., did it become fully guaranteed or not?), as well as what Duncan plans to do after this year (e.g., restructure his last year in exchange for more years).

This is the last year on Tim's contract. If he plays beyond this season it will be on a completely new deal. There will be no restructuring of his current contract.

Bruno
12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA/status/142692441806471169

Alex Kennedy
Maurice Evans has been contacted by a number of contenders including the Spurs, Celtics, Heat and Lakers: tinyurl.com/7acsymx

Another SF...

benefactor
12-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Really is starting to look like they are either going to amnesty RJ or trade him. I don't care which it is as long as he's gone.

AFBlue
12-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Really is starting to look like they are either going to amnesty RJ or trade him. I don't care which it is as long as he's gone.

I think it's contingent on them finding a suitable replacement, though I don't think Evans is that guy. Still, it's clear they're actively seeking said replacement.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I bet we hear about the Spurs and Anthony Parker soon.

TD 21
12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I think it's contingent on them finding a suitable replacement, though I don't think Evans is that guy. Still, it's clear they're actively seeking said replacement.

I don't think it is. If they have the opportunity to trade him and improve their big rotation, he's gone, whether they're stuck having to resort to having a guy like Evans start or not. Worst case scenario is they open up minutes for Leonard and a few more for Anderson.

Obviously, Evans is not a starting caliber player, but they could get away with him starting depending on the caliber of big they acquire. If it's Al Jefferson, then they'd instantly have one of the best big rotations in the league to go with one of the best back courts in the league. In which case the starting SF would only need to provide respectable 3D. If it's Amir Johnson, then they're going to need a more dynamic starting SF.

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't think it is.

Pretty sure he was referring to having a replacement lined up before using the amnesty.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:51 PM
The funny thing is every season we hear about the Spurs and basically every free agent, so I don't get why now just because we all want a trade think it means something. It very well could, but hearing the Spurs name tied to any free agent has never really been a strong indicator of what they are doing.

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 10:59 PM
The funny thing is every season we hear about the Spurs and basically every free agent, so I don't get why now just because we all want a trade think it means something. It very well could, but hearing the Spurs name tied to any free agent has never really been a strong indicator of what they are doing.

People want to believe that where there's smoke, there's fire. Sometimes it's just smoke. Just think about all the "Tony to NY" stories last summer. All smoke.

I'm sure none of these stories are coming from sources in the Spurs FO. Most, if not all, are supplied by agents to the media. Even if we assume that they're not outright liars and that they have spoken to the Spurs about their clients, it doesn't mean that the Spurs initiated the call or have any interest whatsoever. More likely that the agent called a bunch of teams and then told his media friend that "these six teams have expressed some level of interest".

It's the same dance every year.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM
:lol I know but everyone always gets worked up over it. To me the only things that stand out are RC's comments after the draft, TP's comments and anything Woj says about the Spurs.

Bruno
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Part of the offseason's fun is speculating and trying to connect the dots.

Spurs being linked with few SFs could a well mean absolutely nothing or that Spurs have some trades options including RJ. There are no solid hints to discount either hypothesis.

The good news is that we won't wait a lot this year before knowing the truth because, in less than two weeks, the offseason will be over.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
imo save the MLE

and wait for the players that hold back in china b4 they are release from the season....

Ditty
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Could also mean that Pop plans to let Leonard ride the bench, except in blowouts, and have a veteran backup SF, which I think a big man is more of a need, or insurance if Leonard hits the rookie walhe thel, but unless Howard takes the minimum or LLE then I'm willing to sign him for a 1 year contract. I have always liked him, and still pissed we didn't take him in the draft.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:31 AM
:lol I know but everyone always gets worked up over it. To me the only things that stand out are RC's comments after the draft, TP's comments and anything Woj says about the Spurs.

I guess you've been on here all summer long talking about basketball through the lockout. As for me, I just started thinking about basketball again a week ago. I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm going to probably be worked up about a lot of things because I'm so fucking excited that there's actually basketball again.

Seriously, can you blame anyone for getting worked up about the idea of the Spurs being able to simultaneously shed RJ's horrible contract and improve the team? Yeah, it's probably fiction, but do you have to throw cold water on it right away?

ElNono
12-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm sure the Spurs are doing their due diligence and calling agents for FA players to find out what they want. Doesn't mean they can afford them, but in order to think about potential trades, etc, this is stuff you need to know.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm sure the Spurs are doing their due diligence and calling agents for FA players to find out what they want. Doesn't mean they can afford them, but in order to think about potential trades, etc, this is stuff you need to know.

Maybe the Spurs are doing all that to scare RJ into playing harder. It'd be nice if amnesty actually cost the player something. Did you know Michael Finley is STILL being paid by the Mavericks?

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 01:00 AM

1) They are confident in an RJ trade to improve upfront or that they will trade away Kawhi to improve up front and they need depth.

2) Could be all smoke to make people think the Spurs have deals working for RJ

3) They aren't confident in Leonard's ability to contribute right away

4) They are just doing due dilligence on players of interest since there are quite a few SFs in FA

Part of the offseason's fun is speculating and trying to connect the dots.

Spurs being linked with few SFs could a well mean absolutely nothing or that Spurs have some trades options including RJ. There are no solid hints to discount either hypothesis.

The good news is that we won't wait a lot this year before knowing the truth because, in less than two weeks, the offseason will be over.

Maybe the Spurs are doing all that to scare RJ into playing harder. It'd be nice if amnesty actually cost the player something. Did you know Michael Finley is STILL being paid by the Mavericks?

These are all things I have said and I agree. It's definitely a crazy time and should be exciting to see how it plays out.

I guess you've been on here all summer long talking about basketball through the lockout. As for me, I just started thinking about basketball again a week ago. I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm going to probably be worked up about a lot of things because I'm so fucking excited that there's actually basketball again.

Seriously, can you blame anyone for getting worked up about the idea of the Spurs being able to simultaneously shed RJ's horrible contract and improve the team? Yeah, it's probably fiction, but do you have to throw cold water on it right away?

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am every bit as excited as the next fan. I was just commenting on something that has been going on since I can remember (meaning the Spurs name being tossed around by every agent/player with little to no truth). I am not damning anyone for getting excited, it was more of a "this is happening again, it's a good sign that basketball is back on ST" type thing.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 01:06 AM

There's no scaring RJ. He got paid. Whether he plays for the Spurs or anybody else, he's getting his. Ain't guaranteed contracts great?

Spurs Brazil
12-03-2011, 06:37 AM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Boki Nachbar is returning from Europe still w/ great rep for shooting well, working hard: Raptors, Nets, Knicks, Spurs, Sixers checking in.

jiggy_55
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
SPURS EMERGE AS SUITOR FOR BUTLER:
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/03/spurs-emerge-as-suitor-for-butler/

@daldridgetnt David Aldridge

Spurs making a big push for Caron Butler. Check out the HangTime Blog, on NBA.com: on.nba.com/cQBz1w

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I just read that and I don't get it. I know based on previous reports (meaning years ago) that the Spurs have always loved Caron. He was always one of the most underrated players in the league, but it definitely appears his best days are behind him. All things being equal would I rather have him over RJ, yes, but I don't get the "strong" interest from the Spurs at this point in the game.

Be that as it may, at least Caron is tough. He won't play like a complete soft, scared & dumb player. That alone makes him better than RJ.

Mel_13
12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I just read that and I don't get it.

Anonymous source=player agent.

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not falling for the same thing I just pointed out :lol, but this is more direct. Normally it's mentioned in passing (A source says the Heat, Bulls, Clips, Spurs & .... are interested). This is a headline directed specifically at the Spurs.

jiggy_55
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm not falling for the same thing I just pointed out :lol, but this is more direct. Normally it's mentioned in passing (A source says the Heat, Bulls, Clips, Spurs & .... are interested). This is a headline directed specifically at the Spurs.

That's why I pointed it out and posted the link, otherwise it woulda been the same old news we'd seen before that the Spurs had called and checked his interest, etc.. This is bluntly saying the Spurs are making a hard push for him

Mel_13
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM

The size of the headline doesn't make the source any more reliable. The purpose of the headline is to generate clicks.

I'll believe any of this when:

1. It's reported by Ludden (or Woj).

2. One of these FAs, or his agent, meet with RC or Pop.

Until then, I'll expect the 2011-12 Spurs to be the 2010-11 Spurs minus Hill and Dice. New players will Leonard, a minimum salary big, and maybe a minimum salary backup PG.

I remain open to pleasant surprises.

The_Worlds_finest
12-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Spurs are 1 player away from their 5th.

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
The size of the headline doesn't make the source any more reliable. The purpose of the headline is to generate clicks.

I'll believe any of this when:

1. It's reported by Ludden (or Woj).

2. One of these FAs, or his agent, meet with RC or Pop.

Until then, I'll expect the 2011-12 Spurs to be the 2010-11 Spurs minus Hill and Dice. New players will Leonard, a minimum salary big, and maybe a minimum salary backup PG.

I am in the exact same boat except I think DA has a little more credibility than most (although he has never been someone to break any kind of Spurs news).

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2011, 11:19 AM

all we need is a fkn big to play center....

if the spurs do amnesty, i doubt they going to use the full MLE on anyone...

benefactor
12-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I am in the exact same boat except I think DA has a little more credibility than most (although he has never been someone to break any kind of Spurs news).
That's what I was thinking. He's much more reliable than all the so called experts at ESPN. I agree with Mel though...I'll wait until I hear it from Woj before I buy into it fully. News about the Spurs from Woj basic = news about the Spurs from Ludden.

portnoy1
12-03-2011, 12:47 PM
all we need is a fkn big to play center....

if the spurs do amnesty, i doubt they going to use the full MLE on anyone...
We have a Center, more specifically one that can play with Duncan. His name is Tiago Splitter. Pop for some reason wont play him. If I am holt and want to start selling more tickets and winning, I tell RC to get brutal with Pop by trading all the players he misuses and force him to play defensive players.

TheMime
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

spurs10
12-03-2011, 03:47 PM
The Butler hype probably does involve his agent wanting to get top dollar for him. If he was coming here in reality it would certainly mean the end of RJ, don't you think?
SF is not our greatest concern. I'm hoping they already found a PF of significance and want to get someone to to share the 3 position with Leonard. Everyone knows our greatest need is a 4/5....Pop and RC surely do. Since we can dream, I'm hoping Utah and us swap Jeffersons.

jjktkk
12-03-2011, 04:43 PM
We have a Center, more specifically one that can play with Duncan. His name is Tiago Splitter. Pop for some reason wont play him. If I am holt and want to start selling more tickets and winning, I tell RC to get brutal with Pop by trading all the players he misuses and force him to play defensive players.

Who are these defensive players that you speak of?

ace3g
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
ESPN sources: NBA team execs and coaches can start having contact w/players (and free agents) starting Monday at 10 AM ET. However ...

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Same restriction in place since WEDS, when teams and agents could start talking, STILL in place: No oral or written agreements on contracts

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Coaches/players will be able to have contact at practice facilities come MON but coaches still can't oversee on-court workouts til camp FRI

Agloco
12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Nene.

Dunno if the salary will work, but he should be at the top of the list if it does.

Agloco
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM

More like 2.

gospursgojas
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Caron and Rj are both on the decline physically...only thing is Caron has a shot to lean on. Rj hit some shots early in the season but still never looked pure. Caron has a post game. I would love to replace Rj with Butler.

Spurs Brazil
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd rather play the young guys at SF (Anderson/Leonard) and pay the MLE to a big man.

Memphis killed us in the paint and we'll be back with the same guys. It doesn't make sense.

jjktkk
12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I'd rather play the young guys at SF (Anderson/Leonard) and pay the MLE to a big man.

Memphis killed us in the paint and we'll be back with the same guys. It doesn't make sense.

The Problem is what starting caliber bigman can the Spurs realistically sign, or trade for?

TD 21
12-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure he was referring to having a replacement lined up before using the amnesty.

Yeah, maybe he was. Nevertheless, my point remains. If they have a chance to trade Jefferson and acquire a starting big, he's gone, whether they have a another veteran SF under contract/a deal lined up with one or not. It would be too good to pass up.

The difference between these rumors and the "Parker to the Knicks" rumors were, these ones are rational, provided Jefferson is disposed of. The Parker ones never made sense.

You can say this is just an agent trying to drum up interest for a client, but who would he be fooling? It's not like the entire league doesn't know the Spurs have Jefferson/Leonard/Anderson as SF options, need a starting PF and have limited financial resources with which to work with.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 07:38 PM
The Problem is what starting caliber bigman can the Spurs realistically sign, or trade for?

The three day thing for restricted free agents could be a blessing. Blow your collective wad on an offer for Marc Gasol and then if Memphis matches, you can still try going after David West.

Keep in mind, I have no idea if either of those is financially possible, and there's no way to mention trade scenarios until we actually know what the trade rules are going to be.

The reality is probably that the Spurs are going to need to find a Dice type, someone who can start in a pinch but otherwise is second team if Splitter and Duncan turn out to be an effective starting combination.

ChuckD
12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
The three day thing for restricted free agents could be a blessing. Blow your collective wad on an offer for Marc Gasol and then if Memphis matches, you can still try going after David West.

Keep in mind, I have no idea if either of those is financially possible, and there's no way to mention trade scenarios until we actually know what the trade rules are going to be.

The reality is probably that the Spurs are going to need to find a Dice type, someone who can start in a pinch but otherwise is second team if Splitter and Duncan turn out to be an effective starting combination.

We have no cap room. We have the MLE, in either it's 3M or 5M form. My guess is we only have 3M, since we were a taxpayer last year. Their agents would laugh.

Ice009
12-03-2011, 09:08 PM
The only way you can get Marc Gasol to sign for less is if he wanted to come here and was an unrestricted free agent.

You can't ask a restricted free agent to sign for less because then his team will match and his current team gets him for an absolute bargain. You'd be doing Memphis a huge favor doing that. LOL. Why would Marc Gasol do that OV?

Uriel
12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
We have no cap room. We have the MLE, in either it's 3M or 5M form. My guess is we only have 3M, since we were a taxpayer last year. Their agents would laugh.

Actually, we weren't tax payers last year, though we came dangerously close. We will almost certainly be tax payers this year though, assuming RJ isn't amnestied.

Can someone clarify this point, please: Will we have the full $5M MLE to work with this offseason or just the mini $3M one?

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
The only way you can get Marc Gasol to sign for less is if he wanted to come here and was an unrestricted free agent.

You can't ask a restricted free agent to sign for less because then his team will match and his current team gets him for an absolute bargain. You'd be doing Memphis a huge favor doing that. LOL. Why would Marc Gasol do that OV?
Marc Gasol Pipedream is already dead because hes asking for a contract with a starting salary of 14.8 mil & i gurantee Memphis will give it to him.

Big P
12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Actually, we weren't tax payers last year, though we came dangerously close. We will almost certainly be tax payers this year though, assuming RJ isn't amnestied.

Can someone clarify this point, please: Will we have the full $5M MLE to work with this offseason or just the mini $3M one?

As of right now...it looks like just the mini...if we amnesty rj...we would have the full mle from my understanding.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 10:35 PM

With all due respect, RIF. :)

DMC
12-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately Jordan retired a few years back.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
tmac anyone? he can play point forward....

RodNIc91
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
What about josh smith? I know the attitude problems plus he's not quite the defensive barrier we're looking for, but maybe he can be a good defensive player under the spurs system.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2011, 01:32 AM
What about josh smith? I know the attitude problems plus he's not quite the defensive barrier we're looking for, but maybe he can be a good defensive player under the spurs system.

huge downgrade for the hawks if they trading for rj

i think the hawks might amnesty that draft bust no.1 pick from a few years ago whatever his name is...

elemento
12-04-2011, 07:16 AM
huge downgrade for the hawks if they trading for rj

i think the hawks might amnesty that draft bust no.1 pick from a few years ago whatever his name is...

The Hawks would never trade Smith for Dick. The would consider it for Parker though.

And the player you're talking about is Marvin Williams and he was the number 2 pick. (the 3rd and the 4th pick were Deron Williams and Chris Paul :lmao)

Nathan89
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
tmac anyone? he can play point forward....

owUsmlok17I&feature=related

n0ufq4o76TQ&feature=related

jWz3PjMqEZk&feature=related

YTOyN75PZ-A&feature=related

Yes, I would take tmac. He can still do many things. Put the ball on the floor,passing ability,post-up game,creating his own shot,etc. The bad is he'll put up bad shots but I think this will decrease if he was on the Spurs. Not only because we have the right culture but the team is better than the Pistons. He'll feel like he's playing for something and not just to prove himself. Better shot selection combined with getting easier shots will increase his percentages. I think Tiago and Tmac could do nice things on the picknroll.

72 games last year is also a positive sign about his health going forward. Had there been no lockout I would expect Tmac to be in better shape and playing better. Now he may be out of shape and not ready to ball. If he is in shape though I would take him.

Overall I like the unknown about him. For 1.something million he's a great pickup.

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
TMac is done and wouldn't help IMO. He doesn't really do very much of what you say on any sort of regular basis and is really not a very efficient player at all.

DMC
12-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't touch TMac with a 10 ft pole.

Last thing we need is another salary on the "DNP - Injury" list.

Seventyniner
12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
TMac would be worse than RJ. It's obvious that raw talent isn't enough.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Backs don't heal. No thanks to TMac.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Josh Smith and Kurt Hinrich for TP, RJ and Blair

urunobili
12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Pop has always had praise for Kaman... i am not sure his status but im sure they want him a Spur...

lcroock
12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Josh Smith and Kurt Hinrich for TP, RJ and Blair

You may be onto something here. Parker got outplayed in the Memphis series, and he had critical, bonehead turnovers especially in Memphis. I am not sure if the Butler rumors are true but a lineup of Butler-Smith-Duncan-Manu-Hinrich would be a solid defensive unit and should be an efficient offensive unit as well.

ATL probably would not go for it because Hinrich and Smith come off the books in 2 years while RJ goes for 3 more and Tony for 4. But you never know, ATL has needed a PG since forever.

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Bruno, question about Qualifying Offers:

Let's use Oden w/ Portland for example. He was offered a QO of ~$8.8M. That is just a one year deal correct? So if a team like the Spurs (or whomever) offers him the full MLE (5M per year, 4 years), does it go by the first years salary or the total contract that POR would have to match?

Nathan89
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
TMac is done and wouldn't help IMO. He doesn't really do very much of what you say on any sort of regular basis and is really not a very efficient player at all.

I know it's been discussed, but I wonder if the Spurs first rounder could get it done (plus a filler for salary reasons).

This idea has been tossed around by Spurs fans and I really wouldn't mind the move at all.--Your post from last year

What changed?

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Another year of watching him play and not show any signs of returning to form. And also, I'm not quite sure what that post was for, you would have to link the thread so I could see the context.

Bruno
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Bruno, question about Qualifying Offers:

Let's use Oden w/ Portland for example. He was offered a QO of ~$8.8M. That is just a one year deal correct? So if a team like the Spurs (or whomever) offers him the full MLE (5M per year, 4 years), does it go by the first years salary or the total contract that POR would have to match?

The QO is only a 1 year contract but Portland will have to match the whole contract to keep Oden.

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Ok, that is what I thought. So they are already committed to 8.8M so if a team like the Spurs offers the full MLE, they will really only be committing to about an additional 3 years at 4M per which is pretty cheap.

Nathan89
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Another year of watching him play and not show any signs of returning to form. And also, I'm not quite sure what that post was for, you would have to link the thread so I could see the context.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160442&highlight=tmac&page=5

ace3g
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Suns to waive Vince Carter

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7316232/phoenix-suns-cut-vince-carter-lockout-ends

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Ya, about what I thought. Spurs had a late 1 first rounder that I didn't feel was worth too much and it was something that had been discussed on here by others. I wasn't exactly asking for it, but gauging what Piston fan thought it would take to trade him and if the Spurs were a legit partner. At that point, I said I wouldn't mind, but after seeing the rest of the year, he's done.

benefactor
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Suns to waive Vince Carter

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7316232/phoenix-suns-cut-vince-carter-lockout-ends

Chicago, Miami and San Antonio are expected to be among the teams interested in signing Carter, 34, once he clears waivers and becomes an unrestricted free agent.
http://www.seoconsultants.com/just-say-no/images/no-yes-480.gif

benefactor
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Cue gnsf...."Go get him RC!!!!!!"

Nathan89
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Pass on Carter.

I'll still take tmac.

ElNono
12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.seoconsultants.com/just-say-no/images/no-yes-480.gif

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/no-means-no.jpg

elemento
12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
For the min i would take Carter, but I am sure he wants more that the min

timtonymanu
12-04-2011, 06:28 PM
No. No. No.

I would rather be stuck with Richard Jefferson than have to put up with Vince Carter.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
There are a few guys I'd be happy to never see in silver and black. Vince Carter is one of them.

Sense
12-04-2011, 07:35 PM
:lol is it wrong to think we would be better off having Carter in our team than in Miami or Chicago?

Maddog
12-05-2011, 05:03 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/05/madison-ex-foster-may-be-headed-to-the-knicks/
Well there goes one my wished fors....
Curious given the Spurs obvious need for front court depth- I keep reading about washed up SFs

Chomag
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Said this in another thread, if Spurs want to go this rout why are Spurs seeming to go for the gutless has beens and not someone like Shane Battier?

Chomag
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Curious given the Spurs obvious need for front court depth- I keep reading about washed up SFs

Most NBA teams call them SFs but on the Spurs they call them Centers and Power forwards. :lol:downspin::depressed

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
It's definitely all smokescreens, come on..
it's the Spurs we're talking about. We literally just
went through a trade, where the smokescreen was
Tony Parker being traded.

Maddog
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
It's definitely all smokescreens, come on..
it's the Spurs we're talking about. We literally just
went through a trade, where the smokescreen was
Tony Parker being traded.

I'm Hoping it's all a smokescreen- however if RJ is gone the Spurs do not have a SF.
Sure Leonard etc are promising but that's it.
Other than going with 2 SGs

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I have a lot of faith in Leonard.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Butler will strongly consider the Spurs, since his first choice is the Bulls, but he is not better than Luol Deng, and he isn't a true SG, so he would not be in the starting line-up, which probably won't work for him.

Seventyniner
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Butler will strongly consider the Spurs, since his first choice is the Bulls, but he is not better than Luol Deng, and he isn't a true SG, so he would not be in the starting line-up, which probably won't work for him.

The Spurs would have to have a lot of dominoes fall just right. They have to find a taker for RJ first (a trade for a PF, preferably). However, trading RJ should make San Antonio a much more desirable location: chance to start on a pretty good team.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm sure they can work a trade out with La Clippers. Kaman and someone else, for RJ and Blair. I'm sure a player like Blair intrigues the Clipshow.

TD 21
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Why would the Clippers make that trade, when they figure to have a good chance at signing either Butler or Prince? If you're going to propose a trade, you've got to think of reasons why the other side would want to do it. I can't think of a single reason why the Clippers would want to make that trade. In the extremely highly unlikely event they would, obviously the Spurs would have to do it. But fit-wise, Kaman makes no sense next to Duncan, because he can't guard power forwards.

Butler to the Bulls makes no sense. There's no way at this point in his career that he can get away with playing SG almost exclusively and even if he could, he's not the type of player they need. I think he's meeting with the Spurs out of respect more than anything. But he'll probably end up with the Clippers or Nets, because they can offer significantly more.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
You forget that certain players aren't all about the money.. Some players would like to be on a team that can make the playoffs.

All this talk about the Spurs looking for SF's, it doesn't mean they're looking for someone
to back up RJ.

What do you think it means? It isn't to light a fire under RJ's ass.

TD 21
12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
True. But when players take less, it's usually for one of two reasons. 1) They're from the city, have played for the team for a long time or both. 2) The team is considered a prime contender for the championship.

Butler has no previous ties to the Spurs and they're not considered a prime contender for the championship. The Clippers play in L.A., have a promising roster and can offer significantly more if they so choose.

Howard, on the other hand, I think is far more likely, mainly because I think the Spurs could offer about as much as Howard's likely to get. But also, Howard was pissed off when the Mavs traded him, so this would be an opportunity to exact revenge on the Mavs and do so playing with their biggest rival. He would also be guaranteed to start and play significant minutes, something he's not assured of elsewhere.

elemento
12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
So much talk about FAs and in the end, we all know that we're going to keep Jefferson and sign Oberto for the min to be our 5th big.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
That would be disasterous..

objective
12-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Butler to the Bulls makes no sense. There's no way at this point in his career that he can get away with playing SG almost exclusively and even if he could, he's not the type of player they need. I think he's meeting with the Spurs out of respect more than anything. But he'll probably end up with the Clippers or Nets, because they can offer significantly more.

I would suppose the interest from the Bulls would be because Butler before his injury could get his own shot if he had the ball. The Bulls depend heavily on Rose to get people shots and would be better off to have another player who could get his.

monkeypunk
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
The Spurs would have to have a lot of dominoes fall just right. They have to find a taker for RJ first (a trade for a PF, preferably). However, trading RJ should make San Antonio a much more desirable location: chance to start on a pretty good team.