PDA

View Full Version : Heading down to New Orleans to pick up CP3

The Batman
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
But one team’s joy is another’s sorrow, and (Chris) Paul’s current team, the poor, league-owned New Orleans Hornets, will of course do everything it can to avoid losing Paul for nothing. That means trying to trade him before or during this truncated 66-game season, according to sources.
Of course, the Hornets will first offer Paul a long-term contract extension as soon as the league’s new collective bargaining agreement is ratified and teams are given permission to speak with their players.
But once he turns that down and refuses to commit to them long term, they’ll have no choice but to begin shopping him in hopes of avoiding a sequel to the Melo-drama that took place in Denver last season.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/sources-hornets-open-to-trading-paul/

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
nba wants to trade his ass for pieces, so they can offload the franchise to the next buyer

JamStone
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Obviously no team is going to give up much to get CP3 unless they are sure they can sign him longterm. And I think a lot of people assume CP3 would prefer going somewhere like the Knicks or the Lakers (or even the Heat if that were financially possible). So that probably limits the number of teams that would really make a play for him in a trade.

But how about a scenario where the Charlotte Bobcats trade for CP3? There are actually a lot of things in play that could make it make sense for both sides. Obviously, Chris is from North Carolina and has his college roots at Wake Forest. He's also under the Jordan brand and while it can be overstated at times, I think it could still be a factor to play for Michael. But also on the other side, the Bobcats have two Louisiana products on their roster, DJ Augustin and Tyrus Thomas. Augustin grew up in New Orleans and Thomas is from Baton Rouge and played at LSU. The Hornets get to replace their PG with a local product and add another young Louisiana kid in Tyrus. It's not a great deal for the Hornets, but if they can't sign CP3 to an extension, it might be as good as they can get. Perhaps to sweeten the deal, they could add Kemba Walker as well, with the Hornets adding Jarrett Jack the other way.

The problem for the Bobcats is that their roster isn't very good in order to convince CP3 to sign longterm, but that's why I think the home town factor and Michael Jordan factor might play a little bit, not only in trying to signing him but also in the Bobcats actually taking the risk of making the deal without being sure they can sign him longterm.

DMC
11-29-2011, 06:07 PM
CP3 wants to be in Miami with his boys. It's gone from a competitive game to a fucking block party.

Stalin
11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
looks like one of lefty's trolls, tbh

DPG21920
11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Obviously no team is going to give up much to get CP3 unless they are sure they can sign him longterm. And I think a lot of people assume CP3 would prefer going somewhere like the Knicks or the Lakers (or even the Heat if that were financially possible). So that probably limits the number of teams that would really make a play for him in a trade.

I don't really agree with that. For a great player like CP3, teams will give up a pretty good amount IMO. Look at Deron to the Nets. They weren't sure he'd sign and they gave up Favor/Harris/The 4th pick in last years draft which led to Kanter/Another First Rounder. If you have a chance to get someone like that, I think you do it and try to convince him to stay. Not saying that CP3 wouldn't prefer to go to a team you mentioned, but I can see a few teams bidding.

But how about a scenario where the Charlotte Bobcats trade for CP3? There are actually a lot of things in play that could make it make sense for both sides. Obviously, Chris is from North Carolina and has his college roots at Wake Forest. He's also under the Jordan brand and while it can be overstated at times, I think it could still be a factor to play for Michael. But also on the other side, the Bobcats have two Louisiana products on their roster, DJ Augustin and Tyrus Thomas. Augustin grew up in New Orleans and Thomas is from Baton Rouge and played at LSU. The Hornets get to replace their PG with a local product and add another young Louisiana kid in Tyrus. It's not a great deal for the Hornets, but if they can't sign CP3 to an extension, it might be as good as they can get. Perhaps to sweeten the deal, they could add Kemba Walker as well, with the Hornets adding Jarrett Jack the other way.

The problem for the Bobcats is that their roster isn't very good in order to convince CP3 to sign longterm, but that's why I think the home town factor and Michael Jordan factor might play a little bit, not only in trying to signing him but also in the Bobcats actually taking the risk of making the deal without being sure they can sign him longterm.

Maybe, I bet it would have to include Kemba because a package of DJ/Tyrus wouldn't be nearly enough for Paul when Deron fetched Harris/Favors/2 first rounders for similar situation.

JamStone
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
CP3 can be a free agent after this season. At least with Deron, the Nets got him for part of last season and this upcoming season to try to convince him to sign an extension. To me, that adds more value.

DPG21920
11-29-2011, 06:57 PM
I think it might add some, but it's still a short term gamble either way. I agree with you more when it comes to lesser players, but when you are talking top 3 at any position, I think what you said has less impact IMO.

baseline bum
11-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Stern's going to trade him to the Knicks. Is anyone seriously questioning this?

JamStone
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't really agree with that. For a great player like CP3, teams will give up a pretty good amount IMO. Look at Deron to the Nets. They weren't sure he'd sign and they gave up Favor/Harris/The 4th pick in last years draft which led to Kanter/Another First Rounder. If you have a chance to get someone like that, I think you do it and try to convince him to stay. Not saying that CP3 wouldn't prefer to go to a team you mentioned, but I can see a few teams bidding.

I think it might add some, but it's still a short term gamble either way. I agree with you more when it comes to lesser players, but when you are talking top 3 at any position, I think what you said has less impact IMO.

I think having a full season plus is different from having a rental for part of the season. After trading for Deron, New Jersey also has an offseason (and has cap space) to add another significant piece to make the team better and try to convince Deron to sign an extension. Teams trading for CP3 other than the Knicks or Heat or Lakers pretty much know they'll get CP3 for the remainder of this season and he's gone. I think that's significant. And I don't think many teams will part with a lot to get CP3 knowing that, with the exception of a team who truly believes they are a great PG away from seriously contending for a championship.

The only two teams I can think of that might fit that would be Atlanta and Orlando. Maybe the Hawks can offer something like Marvin Williams and Jeff Teague. If they wanted CP3 bad enough maybe Josh Smith instead of Marvin Williams. I have no idea what the Magic could offer of any significant value.

rayjayjohnson
11-30-2011, 03:54 AM
lol frontrunner frontrunning for a team not even in front. dayum.

rayjayjohnson
11-30-2011, 03:55 AM
OP that is

pass1st
11-30-2011, 04:26 AM
CP3, LBJ and D12 all going to Knicks.

Book it.

Jacob1983
12-01-2011, 03:54 AM
The NBA

Where Superfriends Happen