PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Game 1 of the 1995 WCF

Silver&Black Warrior
11-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Watched this game in it's full entirety for the first time. I am ashamed to say this as a Spurs fan but I just found it too painful and futile to watch previously. Didn't have TNT during the original broadcast so I was not able to watch it then either.

My first assessment of the game is how much of a problem Clyde Drexler was for us. He put Houston on his back and carried them to the win as Hakeem was in foul trouble for most of the time. You could really see how he propelled the Rockets for the stretch of the season that Hakeem was injured. His acquisition is 2nd only to the Rasheed Wallace trade in 2004 as far as greatest mid-season trades in NBA history.

The other glaring observation I had is how severely we were betrayed by Rodman. Up until today I have always been a Rodman sympathizer. But this completely changes everything. His refusal to join the huddle in the absolutely most crucial minutes without question cost us the game. In the last defensive possession he leaves Robert Horry wide open and he hits the shot that puts Houston over the top. This is was directly related to his not joining the huddle and not knowing the defensive scheme the Spurs were trying to execute.

The Spurs had a very long layoff prior to the series and it really showed. The execution was very sloppy. Lots of unforced turnovers and erratic play. The fact that Houston didn't have much turnaround time actually played to their advantage. What's really painful though is that despite our play we still had the chance to win the game if not for Rodman's betrayal. I will probably be accused of being homeristic and delusional, but I think that if we had won this game we would have won the series because it fueled the momentum that Houston had winning over higher seeded teams and gave them belief that they could win the series. Sometimes it's just those little things that will decide a series and I believe that is what happened.

Looking forward to dissecting the other games of the series and simply just reflecting on the nostalgia that I feel for this particular time period in Spurs and NBA History.

sasffl
11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I am planning to watch game 1 and 2. Everybody say it's david's fault. But as pop said in 1999, the team is not good enough

Bill_Brasky
11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Pop woulda never let that Rodman bullshit fly.

FromWayDowntown
11-30-2011, 08:17 AM
They also would have won the game had they made free throws in the last minute.

Personally, having lived and died with every game that team played in 1994-95, I've never quite understood how easily Spurs fans give Rodman a pass for his destructive ways late in that season. I was never a Bob Hill fan by any stretch of the imagination, and that team had structural problems, but I think both of those issues could have been overcome if Dennis had even been fundamentally sound. He quit on the last play of Game 1 of the WCF, then compounded that problem in the first quarter of Game 2 by jacking up several ill-advised three pointers (ending possessions and allowing Houston to build an early lead that the Spurs weren't ever able to overcome).

It wasn't all his fault, to be sure -- the Spurs' struggles to deal with Cassell, Elie, and Horry at various times in losses were a massive problem -- but I've never understood the willingness to absolve Rodman.

Silver&Black Warrior
11-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Personally, having lived and died with every game that team played in 1994-95, I've never quite understood how easily Spurs fans give Rodman a pass for his destructive ways late in that season. I was never a Bob Hill fan by any stretch of the imagination, and that team had structural problems, but I think both of those issues could have been overcome if Dennis had even been fundamentally sound. He quit on the last play of Game 1 of the WCF, then compounded that problem in the first quarter of Game 2 by jacking up several ill-advised three pointers (ending possessions and allowing Houston to build an early lead that the Spurs weren't ever able to overcome).

It wasn't all his fault, to be sure -- the Spurs' struggles to deal with Cassell, Elie, and Horry at various times in losses were a massive problem -- but I've never understood the willingness to absolve Rodman.

Well said and valid points. I will look for that when I watch Game 2.

Phenomanul
11-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Ask any one of our resident forum experts however and they will claim that series was all about David and Hakeem... Sure Hakeem had amazing numbers for the series but the Spurs could have overcome "Hakeem getting his" (much like Amare in '05)... the problem was as you all noted, Drexler going off on Elliott, Rodman's unforgivable antics, and Houston's 3 point bombers being absolutely clutch...

Olojuwon, despite his heroic play still required Game winning shots by Horry, Cassell and Elie to take that series... Robinson didn't have the benefit of such help, and still his legacy continues to be lambasted and tainted by said series... :rolleyes

lefty
11-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Good point

After the game, Horry said that they stole the game, because we missed a lot of FT's

But man, did Drexler shit on Elliott

Amuseddaysleeper
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Still waiting on player grades! :lol

DeadlyDynasty
11-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Tracy Murray said it best:

"They shoulda never given that award out before the series started."

lefty
11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
lol Murray is a loser :lol

DeadlyDynasty