PDA

View Full Version : Burger King debuts thicker fries.

JoeChalupa
11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/burger-king-debuts-thicker-fries-amid-competition-231416304.html

(Reuters) - Burger King Corp, the second largest hamburger chain, has changed its french fry recipe for the first time since 1998 as competition from upstarts and traditional fast-food rivals mounts.

Burger King said it made the new fries thicker, reduced sodium and added a coating that makes them crisper and keeps them hotter longer.

The fries, now a bit wider in diameter than a No. 2 pencil, will be available in its more than 7,000 North American Burger King restaurants by December 5. Prices remain the same.

"We're always trying to have the best menu possible. French fries are a big seller for us and we want to make sure we're always improving," said Leo Leon, vice president of innovation.

Leon said Burger King tested the new fries against other options: "This, by far, was the winner."

Burger King's move comes a little over a year after rival Wendy's introduced thinner "natural cut" fries that leave on some skin and are sprinkled with sea salt.

McDonald's Corp's french fries often take the top spot in customer surveys, but independents like Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Smashburger and In-N-Out Burger have been dialing up the pressure.

"The competition to have good quality french fries is heating up," said Darren Tristano, executive vice president at consulting firm Technomic, who recently tried the new Burger King fries.

"Making them thicker certainly makes them easier to eat, and since many of them are consumed in the car with one hand on the steering wheel, that's probably not a bad idea," Tristano said.

I haven't been to a BK in quite some time and this won't change anything.

baseline bum
11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I haven't been to a BK in quite some time and this won't change anything.

LOL... yeah, I think the last time I ate at a Burger King was on a roadtrip up to Montana a couple of years ago. Funny hearing them talk about pressure from In N Out though; In N Out fries SUCK.

leemajors
11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
LOL... yeah, I think the last time I ate at a Burger King was on a roadtrip up to Montana a couple of years ago. Funny hearing them talk about pressure from In N Out though; In N Out fries SUCK.

I like em, but they are better double fried.

baseline bum
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I like em, but they are better double fried.

Part of the secret menu?

JoeChalupa
11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I haven't tried 5 guys burgers yet either.

Trill Clinton
11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I went to burger recently cuz I was gettin my car serviced and had to wait. that shit is still nasty as I remembered.

bus driver
11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
they still fit inside the same fry holder thingy tho, larger fries = less fries

good point, probably same or higher price :depressed

bus driver
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM

not bad, i been several times

leemajors
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Part of the secret menu?

yup

leemajors
11-30-2011, 01:36 PM

unless, you know, the weight is constant.

baseline bum
11-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Lowering the amount of salt isn't a good idea. Sure, everyone wants lower salt until they're actually eating them.

Trill Clinton
11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
I went through burger king drive thru while i was getting my dick serviced once

bawse:hat

Trill Clinton
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM

overrated and expensive for no reason.

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
best fries from fast food outlets is probably KFC fries..

burger king fries taste like maccas fries anyway...

Agloco
11-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Same volume though, hence comparably crappy nutritional content tbh.

Agloco
11-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Lowering the amount of salt isn't a good idea. Sure, everyone wants lower salt until they're actually eating them.

You don't have a salt shaker in your car BB? Come on now.

baseline bum
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
You don't have a salt shaker in your car BB? Come on now.

Nah, but I do have the emergency bottle of El Yucateco.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4239/yucateco.jpg

Drachen
11-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

cantthinkofanything
11-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Same volume though, hence comparably crappy nutritional content tbh.

I would think a batch of the large fries would have less fried surface area than a batch of the smaller ones. Which would make them slighlty less un-healthy?

Agloco
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I would think a batch of the large fries would have less fried surface area than a batch of the smaller ones. Which would make them slighlty less un-healthy?

Depends on how deep the cooking oil penetrates tbh and whether or not SA is a variable.

I don't claim to know. Your assertion seems reasonable though.

I think I'll start a steady diet of those new healthier fries.

Agloco
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
that's exactly what i was saying..didn't think it had to be pointed out. "omg bigger fries!" is just hype, you ain't gettin nothin special or different. no more or less.

My bad. Too much drive by posting these days.

CubanSucks
11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Burger King is my #1 and these fries are an upgrade imo. They've had these thicker fries for awhile now at the bk by me

cheguevara
11-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I went through burger king drive thru while i was getting my dick serviced once

what did your boyfriend order?

Dex
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
yup

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :toast

TBH, all fries are better double fried (technically, blanched and then fried, but this aint the damn Food Network).

cantthinkofanything
11-30-2011, 04:41 PM

sausage in his buns with extra mayo

4>0rings
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Are the fries still pressed together potato dust?

Spurminator
11-30-2011, 05:06 PM
If it works like Wendy's, they'll be pretty good for the first month while corporate/management are prioritizing the fry-making process.

Then the stores will get lazy again and they'll go back to sucking.

CuckingFunt
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Am I the only one freaked out by the new mystery substance coating the fries to make them crispier and keep them hot longer? Nein danke.

And double fried is the only way to go at In-N-Outs not located in Los Angeles. For some reason, none of the places I've been to since they started expanding ever get the fries as good as they are (or at least were) in Pasadena.

mavs>spurs
11-30-2011, 07:02 PM

I know a fucking wetback isn't trying to make jokes..you were probably working the window that day so u know damn well it wasn't no dude it was adobe ass b3aner bitch u jelly?

tlongII
11-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Five Guys has the best fries. Easily.

mojorizen7
11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Burger King said it made the new fries thicker, reduced sodium and added a coating that makes them crisper and keeps them hotter longer
Huh? What is this coating?

Agloco
11-30-2011, 09:35 PM

2 parts ceramic, 3 parts teflon, 1 part sodium

CubanSucks
11-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Am I the only one freaked out by the new mystery substance coating the fries to make them crispier and keep them hot longer?

yes, shut up

nvm

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Burger King is my #1

:lmao it's gotten to the point where the jokes write themselves when it comes to CubanSucks.

CubanSucks
12-01-2011, 01:05 AM
:lmao it's gotten to the point where the jokes write themselves when it comes to CubanSucks.

you're a McDonalds guy, huh

ChuckD
12-01-2011, 01:45 AM

Whatever it was, I'm sure it had the secret sauce on it.