View Full Version : Tyson Chandler expecting to leave Dallas

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Tyson Chandler expects to leave Mavs

By Chris Broussard and Marc Stein
ESPN.com

NBA Free Agency
Ric Bucher breaks down the top NBA free agents
In a surprise development on the first day that NBA teams and agents could start talking about new contracts, Tyson Chandler came away convinced that his time with the Dallas Mavericks is coming to an end.

"I really think I'm going to be on a new team come training camp," Chandler told ESPN.com in a telephone interview Wednesday night. "I'm really taking a hard look at all of my options, trying to see what best suits me."

Chandler's doubts about the Mavericks' willingness to re-sign him to a lucrative long-term deal will be welcome news for organizations throughout the league. Chandler and Denver center Nene rank as the two most coveted unrestricted free agents in the 2011 class, but the overwhelming sentiment in many front offices has been that Chandler's return to Dallas was essentially a done deal after the 7-footer's role in helping the Mavericks win their first championship.

Chandler, though, insisted Wednesday that such assumptions are a misnomer and admitted for the first time that he's disappointed by the club's decision not to offer him a contract extension after he was widely credited -- most notably by Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki -- for changing the team's defensive culture after three first-round exits in the previous four years.

Chandler maintains that staying in Dallas has been his first choice, but he expressed disappointment that the communication between the sides was minimal from the end of the NBA Finals in mid-June and the June 30 deadline for extensions. NBA front office sources list New Jersey, Golden State, Houston and Toronto as the teams chasing Chandler hardest.

The Mavericks have likewise long maintained that bringing Chandler back is their No. 1 offseason priority. But sources with knowledge of club's thinking have told ESPN.com this month that management fears trying to match the offers Chandler gets on the open market -- even if Dallas' other free agents, such as Caron Butler and J.J. Barea are all let go -- will leave them with about $5-6 million in salary-cap space in the summer of 2012.

That's when the Mavericks had hoped to be under the cap for the first time in the Mark Cuban era to join the free agent bidding for Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Dallas-area native Deron Williams.

As one of the league's oldest teams, Dallas needs the injection of youth that a perimeter scorer like Williams could provide. The Mavs' quandary, however, is that the presence of Nowitzki alone on the roster in July 2012 might not be enough to tempt the league's top free agents.

One source close to Williams, for example, says it's unlikely that the New Jersey Nets' point guard would consider signing with the Mavericks unless he was joining both Nowitzki and Chandler. The Mavs' counter is that, with Nowitzki and Chandler on the books, they won't have enough money to sign Williams outright and would be forced to rely on striking a complicated sign-and-trade arrangement.

Chandler, for his part, says he hopes to know where his home will be soon, even though the league announced Tuesday that teams and players can't strike written or verbal agreements before the officially scheduled start of free agency on Dec. 9.

"I would like this to be settled by early next week," Chandler said. "I want to be in camp with my new teammates as soon as possible."

Earlier Wednesday, Cuban told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan: "We are going through and digesting all the new rules and waiting on others. Once everything is in place we will have a far better idea on what we can and can't do. In the meanwhile, we certainly are going to be talking to everyone's agent."

Chandler, 29, was acquired by the Mavericks in July 2010 in a deal with the Charlotte Bobcats co-headlined by Erick Dampier, but was widely billed as a consolation prize after Dampier's cap-friendly contract failed to get Dallas in the bidding for the league's marquee free agents -- Miami stars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh among them -- through various sign-and-trade offers.

In the final year of his contract, Chandler wound up meshing with Nowitzki better than anyone anticipated, supplying length, athleticism, rim protection and a brand of vocal leadership that no big man who previously lined up alongside the eventual NBA Finals MVP had ever provided in Dallas.

Chandler wound up playing in 74 regular season games -- after missing nearly 70 games over the previous two seasons through injury -- and finished third in the league's Defensive Player of the Year voting. In the Western Conference finals, Chandler helped Dallas to a 4-1 series win over the same Oklahoma City Thunder team that traded for him in February 2009 and then rescinded the trade one day later because of concerns about a toe injury.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7300682/tyson-chandler-dallas-mavericks-says-expects-a-new-team-come-training-camp

mavs>spurs
11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Big Daddy Tyson knows his value and is only using politics to ensure that he gets the deal he deserves, nothing to see here.

DAF86
11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Chandler is to Mavs' defense what Dirk is to their offense, they can't let him go imho.

Nathan89
11-30-2011, 09:22 PM
After all those shit contracts for bigs Cuban gave over the years, he has to resign Chandler. They can't waste a year for a chance to get one of those free agents.

baseline bum
11-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Cuban should be able to do pretty well with free agents, but I think you don't fix what ain't broke. It's not like that team just got a couple of lucky bounces; in fact, it was more of the opposite with Butler going down and then Brenda too. Even though they're old, breaking them up by letting Chandler walk would be nuts.

mavs>spurs
11-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Big Daddy Tyson knows his value and is only using politics to ensure that he gets the deal he deserves, nothing to see here.

DAF86
11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
He can make changes but just not Chandler, he's almost as important as Dirk.

Stalin
11-30-2011, 09:38 PM
great, after their fluke championship, chances of mavs repeating are dwindling

ElNono
11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
He needs more time to post here :cry :cry :cry

rayjayjohnson
11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
homie is gonna look good in sky blue

DeadlyDynasty
11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
He ain't goin' nowhere

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
imo they have the pieces to make a sign and trade

they got so many guys that they good even field a 2nd competitive team

Pelicans78
11-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Chandler's offense is just as important as his defense.

JamStone
11-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Posturing. I can't see them not re-signing him.

As for the desire to be players for Deron Williams (or CP3 or D12), they have an escape route. Re-sign Tyson Chandler, then next summer use the amnesty clause on Haywood or Marion and there's the cap space needed.

Amarelooms
11-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Who cares....leave Tyson...we just won it dummy....doesn't matter. This year is just bonus

:elephant

mingus
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
He is worth no more than 7 mil per. That's as much as I would be willing to give him.

JamStone
11-30-2011, 10:51 PM
He is worth no more than 7 mil per. That's as much as I would be willing to give him.

Might be true, but Dallas is paying Brendan Haywood over $8 million per the next 4 seasons. If you're Chandler and his agent, I don't think you settle for $7 million with Haywood making more than you.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Posturing. I can't see them not re-signing him.

As for the desire to be players for Deron Williams (or CP3 or D12), they have an escape route. Re-sign Tyson Chandler, then next summer use the amnesty clause on Haywood or Marion and there's the cap space needed.

Not so sure about these. Tyson made 12.6M, I don't see him going backwards after one of his best seasons as one of the premier big men on the market. Let's assume 13M per year for Tyson.

Mavs will be at 44M w/out Tyson next season. If he gets his 13M, that puts them at 57M. Subtract Haywood from amnesty they are at 48.5M with only 6 players. If the cap is around the same, that is 58M, so would only leave the Mavs with the ability to offer Dwight/Paul/DWill a 9.5M contract which isn't nearly enough. Obviously, if Tyson signs for less than I predict, you can just subtract some from his salary and add to the 9.5M in cap space I came up with.

badfish22
11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Chandler is to Mavs' defense what Dirk is to their offense

Except not at all.

mingus
11-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Might be true, but Dallas is paying Brendan Haywood over $8 million per the next 4 seasons. If you're Chandler and his agent, I don't think you settle for $7 million with Haywood making more than you.

of course he's not going to settle on that, but out of principle i wouldn't pay him more. Dallas was stupid as hell giving Haywood 8 mil per year. collective indescretionary spending by the league is a problem. give one guy what he's not worth and 10 other FAs try to match that. not that i dont expect Dallas to give him way more than what he's worth though.

mingus
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Not so sure about these. Tyson made 12.6M, I don't see him going backwards after one of his best seasons as one of the premier big men on the market. Let's assume 13M per year for Tyson.

Mavs will be at 44M w/out Tyson next season. If he gets his 13M, that puts them at 57M. Subtract Haywood from amnesty they are at 48.5M with only 6 players. If the cap is around the same, that is 58M, so would only leave the Mavs with the ability to offer Dwight/Paul/DWill a 9.5M contract which isn't nearly enough. Obviously, if Tyson signs for less than I predict, you can just subtract some from his salary and add to the 9.5M in cap space I came up with.

no one's going to give Chandler what he made last year. i would bet the highest bidder will go tops 9 mil, and that might be generous. best case scenario for the league is Dallas doesn't pay him the 11-13 mil he's going to ask for, he weighs his options, and he takes the 7 mil someone other than Dallas offers him (he'll probably diss Dallas for what he thinks are lowball offers), and the price tag on his calibre of player doesn't get overvalued.

DMC
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
It's almost to the point where players are forced to chose between team wins and personal wins. Teams are not going to be able to afford a slew of high rollers to topple the other team with a slew of high rollers.

Goddamn you Stern, you frog headed faggot.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:25 PM
no one's going to give Chandler what he made last year. i would bet the highest bidder will go tops 9 mil, and that might be generous. best case scenario for the league is Dallas doesn't pay him the 11-13 mil he's going to ask for, he weighs his options, and he takes the 7 mil someone other than Dallas offers him (he'll probably diss Dallas for what he thinks are lowball offers), and the price tag on his calibre of player doesn't get overvalued.

I disagree, but we will see. I think your value is off.

DAF86
11-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Except not at all.

Yep, the anchor.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Chandler had an absolute career year last season. He was incredible in every aspect. He was the defensive presence down low this team has needed during the entire Nowitzki era, and he was the 2nd most valuable player on their championship team. I used to hate the bastard, but now I'll always love Tyson Chandler for bring a title to Dallas.

With that said, they should tread incredibly carefully here. I would not want them outbidding other teams for Chandler. I seriously doubt he'll ever come close to producing like he did last season, I seriously doubt he'll be healthy like that ever again either.

I want Chandler back, but for the right price. If it comes down to it, let him walk, do what you can with Haywood for one season, then throw the kitchen sink at Dwight Howard. tbh I might actually rather they do that instead.

Chandler was great, but re-signing him is a bad idea long term if there's a chance to get Howard.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Chandler had an absolute career year last season. He was incredible in every aspect. He was the defensive presence down low this team has needed during the entire Nowitzki era, and he was the 2nd most valuable player on their championship team. I used to hate the bastard, but now I'll always love Tyson Chandler for bring a title to Dallas.

With that said, they should tread incredibly carefully here. I would not want them outbidding other teams for Chandler. I seriously doubt he'll ever come close to producing like he did last season, I seriously doubt he'll be healthy like that ever again either.

I want Chandler back, but for the right price. If it comes down to it, let him walk, do what you can with Haywood for one season, then throw the kitchen sink at Dwight Howard. tbh I might actually rather they do that instead.

Chandler was great, but re-signing him is a bad idea long term if there's a chance to get Howard.

If yall think Dwight is going to walk into a Mavs situation with an aging Dirk and only (assuming you amnesty Haywood to get enough under the cap to do something) Marion/Brewer/Roddy B & Jones while being close to maxed out cap wise due to his contract that's fine, but I don't see it.

DMC
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
No serious money wants to come to Texas. It's NY, LA, Boston or Miami and Boston is on the back burner and Miami is 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag now.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
If yall think Dwight is going to walk into a Mavs situation with an aging Dirk and only (assuming you amnesty Haywood to get enough under the cap to do something) Marion/Brewer/Roddy B & Jones while being close to maxed out cap wise due to his contract that's fine, but I don't see it.

Did I say it would happen? or did I say they should throw their hat into the ring?

I don't see the Mavs winning another title with their core. I think they need to make a push for a young superstar next offseason. They can't do that and sign Chandler too. So unfortunately Chandler has to go.

And you think aging Dirk as a #2 isn't appealing to free agents? Aging Dirk as a #1 already won a fucking title.

DMC
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM
They could win another with the same group. It's only a few months ago.

mavsfan1000
11-30-2011, 11:45 PM
No problem. The Mavs can do just fine without his whiny ass.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't see it. I love how they came together but I don't see it happening again. Their title wasn't a fluke, but it was a very good team peaking together at the perfect time. Too many parts have to hit a peak together perfectly a second time for it to happen again. Not saying it can't happen, just saying it probably won't.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Did I say it would happen? or did I say they should throw their hat into the ring?

I don't see the Mavs winning another title with their core. I think they need to make a push for a young superstar next offseason. They can't do that and sign Chandler too. So unfortunately Chandler has to go.

And you think aging Dirk as a #2 isn't appealing to free agents? Aging Dirk as a #1 already won a fucking title.

Well after me explaining that scenario, do you think that is what they should do? Try to lure a top FA to walk into Dirk/Marion/RoddyB/Jones/Brewer and at best 7M to add to the 6 man roster?

JamStone
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM

$13 M seems quite a bit much. My guess is even with interest from other teams, I think he'll end up getting a contract worth around $9-10 million per year, and maybe get one more year just to keep the per year down. And remember, even if it's something like $13 million a year, with salary increases, that could mean his 2012-13 salary could be something around $10 million.

The Mavericks could still conceivably have a decent amount to offer Deron or CP3. They might have to find other ways (trades) to clear a little more cap space. Maybe dump Corey Brewer's contract. Or find a sucker team to take on Marion's contract so the Mavs can use the amnesty on Haywood's. It's not just a black or white thing where if they re-sign Chandler, there are no other moving parts to changing the cap flexibility going into next off season.

Monostradamus
No problem. The Mavs can do just fine without his whiny ass.

lol you're retarded. If Chandler goes I fully expect the Mavs to be a first round exit next season. But if suffering that means a shot at Dwight Howard, then it's worth it.

The title changed everything. Where before it was "fuck the future, just win" now they have some wiggle room. If they didn't win a title I'd be screaming to re-sign Chandler at any cost. But with a title in the bag, they can afford to assess what's best long term rather than what helps the team immediately.

I really think they should let Chandler walk and go after a big name free agent next offseason. Everything in Chandler's career suggests that last season was an anomaly and not the norm with him. If you give him a big deal, don't cry when he averages 8/8 and plays 30 games next season. You know his history as well as anyone.

DMC
I don't see it. I love how they came together but I don't see it happening again. Their title wasn't a fluke, but it was a very good team peaking together at the perfect time. Too many parts have to hit a peak together perfectly a second time for it to happen again. Not saying it can't happen, just saying it probably won't.
True with any team. Before Butler went down, the Mavs were breathing down the neck of the league leading Spurs, then Dirk hits the bench for a few and they fall back 7 or more games. Once Dallas recovered, they went through the league like it was butter.

I think they have an experience and chemistry you cannot build in a training camp.

And I am in the camp of making hay when the Sun is shining. You get everything you can from this team, don't rip it apart and think you can find the magic formula just like that. Dwight isn't the answer.

SenorSpur
11-30-2011, 11:51 PM

Chandler made 12 mil last season. After proving his value as a defensive big and catalyst in the Mavs championship run, why in the hell would he take a pay cut?

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Well after me explaining that scenario, do you think that is what they should do? Try to lure a top FA to walk into Dirk/Marion/RoddyB/Jones/Brewer and at best 7M to add to the 6 man roster?

Absolutely. The NBA is a superstar's league and the Miami Heat proved you can get within 2 games of a title with 2 superstars, one good player, and dick else.

If Howard comes to Dallas they'd have 2 superstars and 3-4 okay players, which is comparable.

Nathan89

Sounds like a fluke.

DPG21920
$13 M seems quite a bit much. My guess is even with interest from other teams, I think he'll end up getting a contract worth around $9-10 million per year, and maybe get one more year just to keep the per year down. And remember, even if it's something like $13 million a year, with salary increases, that could mean his 2012-13 salary could be something around $10 million.

The Mavericks could still conceivably have a decent amount to offer Deron or CP3. They might have to find other ways (trades) to clear a little more cap space. Maybe dump Corey Brewer's contract. Or find a sucker team to take on Marion's contract so the Mavs can use the amnesty on Haywood's. It's not just a black or white thing where if they re-sign Chandler, there are no other moving parts to changing the cap flexibility going into next off season.

I can see that, a front loaded contract, but even if that is the case, lets say he's making 10M next year, that is only 12.5M to offer to a super star who will command much more than that and the roster will only be at 7 people. But yes, if they could clear up other things, it would first have to go to getting the stars offer up, then they would have to fill out a roster.

It's not impossible, but all signs point to a lot of risk and little chance at it actually happening IMO.

DPG21920
11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Absolutely. The NBA is a superstar's league and the Miami Heat proved you can get within 2 games of a title with 2 superstars, one good player, and dick else.

If Howard comes to Dallas they'd have 2 superstars and 3-4 okay players, which is comparable.

:lmao

Monostradamus
Chandler made 12 mil last season. After proving his value as a defensive big and catalyst in the Mavs championship run, why in the hell would he take a pay cut?

He absolutely shouldn't. But I think the Mavs, or any other team for that matter, would be making a huge mistake thinking he can have another year like that ever again.

SenorSpur

There are at least 5 other teams after Chandler. Many of those teams have cap space, but aren't contenders. Still, he will get at least what he made last year. Book it!

mavsfan1000
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
lol you're retarded. If Chandler goes I fully expect the Mavs to be a first round exit next season. But if suffering that means a shot at Dwight Howard, then it's worth it.

The title changed everything. Where before it was "fuck the future, just win" now they have some wiggle room. If they didn't win a title I'd be screaming to re-sign Chandler at any cost. But with a title in the bag, they can afford to assess what's best long term rather than what helps the team immediately.

I really think they should let Chandler walk and go after a big name free agent next offseason. Everything in Chandler's career suggests that last season was an anomaly and not the norm with him. If you give him a big deal, don't cry when he averages 8/8 and plays 30 games next season. You know his history as well as anyone.
Nothing has changed. The Mavs are done. The only thing different is the team won't be known as ringless losers. We found a way to win against all odds. But it doesn't matter as players don't see us winning again.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a fluke.

Absolutely not.

They always had the talent to win a title, but for a decade those parts never worked in harmony the way a championship team does.

Last season they did what the Spurs and Celtics and Lakers have done - had their championship talent play like champions for 16 playoff games.

Can they do it again? Yes. Will they? Considering they've only done it once in 10 years, it's incredibly doubtful.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:56 PM
:lmao

crofl DPG with the hypocritical "post an emoticon or a >>>>>>>>>>>>>> argument instead of making an intellectual rebuttal" goods.

mavs>spurs
11-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Nothing has changed. The Mavs are done. The only thing different is the team won't be known as ringless losers. We found a way to win against all odds. But it doesn't matter as players don't see us winning again.

Shut up, pussy. I smell fish.

DMC
Absolutely not.

They always had the talent to win a title, but for a decade those parts never worked in harmony the way a championship team does.

Last season they did what the Spurs and Celtics and Lakers have done - had their championship talent play like champions for 16 playoff games.

Can they do it again? Yes. Will they? Considering they've only done it once in 10 years, it's incredibly doubtful.
The only commonality between then and now is the team name and basically Dirk.

This team is not the 2006 team, not by a long shot.

DPG21920
No, that was just a terrible retarded post.

Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem/Miller is a lot different than

Dwight/Aging Dirk/Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones

Sorry if you think that is comparable.

Monostradamus
11-30-2011, 11:58 PM
The only fluke on the Mavs roster last season actually was Tyson Chandler. Every other player performed about at the level everyone expected them to perform. Barea might have exceeded expectations a bit but what other player on the Mavs did you see and say "wow he's never played like that ever in his career" besides Chandler?

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
No, that was just a terrible retarded post.

Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem/Miller is a lot different than

Dwight/Aging Dirk/Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones

Sorry if you think that is comparable.

I'd say it is, considering Chandler/Aging Dirk/Aging Marion/Aging Kidd/Aging Jet beat Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem/Miller.

DMC
I was not surprised by Chandlers' play. I've seen flashes of it before.

Giuseppe

Thou, still shell shocked from all the agony prior to this past June.

You never get over it. I still feel the catastrophe of '84 to this very day. I feel that more severely than I do the victories. I'll take '84 to the grave. Watching those Celtics humps waving those white towels and looking down toward the Laker bench. I had such hatred, I wanted to kill. Then when '85 came and we broke thru I figured the pain and wounds would go away and heal. Nope.

JamStone
I can see that, a front loaded contract, but even if that is the case, lets say he's making 10M next year, that is only 12.5M to offer to a super star who will command much more than that and the roster will only be at 7 people. But yes, if they could clear up other things, it would first have to go to getting the stars offer up, then they would have to fill out a roster.

It's not impossible, but all signs point to a lot of risk and little chance at it actually happening IMO.

What are you talking about a front loaded contract? I'm talking about normal contracts that have salary increases year to year. Say the Mavs and Chandler agree to $50 million for 5 years (giving him that fifth year just so they can keep that per year down). First season $7 M, second season (the season that it matters in this discussion) $8.5 M, third season $10 M, fourth season $11.5 M, fifth season $13 M.

And again, they may dump Corey Brewer and his $3.2 M or somehow find a way to trade Marion and his contract. Maybe dumping Marion is improbable, but people thought the same thing with the Knicks a few years ago and Donnie Walsh was able to do it. But I don't think Dallas finding a way to get enough cap space is that improbable.

And with Dirk and Chandler (and maybe Beabois becomes the star some think he'll be), I don't see why Deron Williams wouldn't consider Dallas even if he has to take a little less than max money.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:01 AM
The only commonality between then and now is the team name and basically Dirk.

This team is not the 2006 team, not by a long shot.

If we're talking pure talent, I'll take the 06 team over the 11 team any day.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't see why Deron Williams wouldn't consider Dallas even if he has to take a little less than max money.

I'd love it, but I highly doubt it happens. All these free agents, except maybe Paul, are going to go wherever the biggest pile of money is.

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
If we're talking pure talent, I'll take the 06 team over the 11 team any day.
But we're not. If it's pure talent, I would take the Heat.

Talent didn't sweep the defending champs. That was championship willpower. How many late game comebacks did the Mavs muster?

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd say it is, considering Chandler/Aging Dirk/Aging Marion/Aging Kidd/Aging Jet beat Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem/Miller.

So basically you are saying that Marion/Kidd/Terry is as good or worse than Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones.

Ok.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM

Flashes. Never a full season. Never. Nobody on earth though Chandler had the durability or the will to play at that level for a full season, and if you say you did, you're a fucking liar.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
So basically you are saying that Marion/Kidd/Terry is as good or worse than Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones.

Ok.

You and I both have no idea what level Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones will be as players a year from now.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
But we're not. If it's pure talent, I would take the Heat.

Talent didn't sweep the defending champs. That was championship willpower. How many late game comebacks did the Mavs muster?

Thanks for making my point.

The Mavs have had the talent for years. Only in 11 did the entire team put it together for 16 playoff games.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

What are you talking about a front loaded contract? I'm talking about normal contracts that have salary increases year to year. Say the Mavs and Chandler agree to $50 million for 5 years (giving him that fifth year just so they can keep that per year down). First season $7 M, second season (the season that it matters in this discussion) $8.5 M, third season $10 M, fourth season $11.5 M, fifth season $13 M.

And again, they may dump Corey Brewer and his $3.2 M or somehow find a way to trade Marion and his contract. Maybe dumping Marion is improbable, but people thought the same thing with the Knicks a few years ago and Donnie Walsh was able to do it. But I don't think Dallas finding a way to get enough cap space is that improbable.

And with Dirk and Chandler (and maybe Beabois becomes the star some think he'll be), I don't see why Deron Williams wouldn't consider Dallas even if he has to take a little less than max money.

I was referring to the bold part, where the contract scales backwards to get salary down in the year that matters. Again, I didn't say he wouldn't consider it. I said I think Mono is silly for not wanting to sign Tyson in the hopes of pursuing Dwight or a big time FA, when signing Tyson still gives you the possibility and either way it is not likely.

Nathan89
12-01-2011, 12:07 AM
There are at least 5 other teams after Chandler. Many of those teams have cap space, but aren't contenders. Still, he will get at least what he made last year. Book it!

I don't think a team that is not a contender is going to offer him what he made last year. It would be a waste. The only way he makes close to what he made last year is if the Mavs sign him.

Mavs need to resign him,IMO. I don't see those players going to the Mavs. If that happened it would be all for nothing and the have a legit chance to win this year.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:11 AM
You and I both have no idea what level Marion/Brewer/Roddy B/Jones will be as players a year from now.

Well we can make educated guesses and I don't see anyone of those guys becoming HOF's like Kidd. Marion is an older verion of himself (which most would assume would be a slightly less to way worse version) and not many people peg Jones as anything better than 6th man of the year level (which is what Terry is).

Point is, getting a Howard/Paul/DWill to the Mavs is unlikely in any scenario, so if you have the chance to sign Tyson and still try and go after one of the three it is quite easily the best option (or go for another FA this year in his range to at least replace him instead of wasting what could be one of Dirks last tiptop years).

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Flashes. Never a full season. Never. Nobody on earth though Chandler had the durability or the will to play at that level for a full season, and if you say you did, you're a fucking liar.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4834977&postcount=100

Dallas isn't the Dallas of last year. With Tyson Chandler, they have a dimension in the paint they didn't previously have. Dirk can now hang back and feed off Chandler's paint presence, enjoying probably single coverage that he can easily shoot a high percentage over.

I knew OKC fucked up when they passed on Chandler. I knew Dallas became the team to beat. I didn't know LA would go face down ass up, or that Memphis would kick our ass in the 1st round.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Well we can make educated guesses and I don't see anyone of those guys becoming HOF's like Kidd. Marion is an older verion of himself (which most would assume would be a slightly less to way worse version) and not many people peg Jones as anything better than 6th man of the year level (which is what Terry is).

Point is, getting a Howard/Paul/DWill to the Mavs is unlikely in any scenario, so if you have the chance to sign Tyson and still try and go after one of the three it is quite easily the best option (or go for another FA this year in his range to at least replace him instead of wasting what could be one of Dirks last tiptop years).

After a title, winning another one isn't anywhere near as urgent to me, nor to Cuban I would bet.

I don't want to say I think on the level of a genius billionaire, but I'd be willing to bet that Cuban is thinking far more long-term than ever before. Do you sign Chandler, "go for it" for a few more years and when Dirk is donethat's it, or do you let Chandler walk and then take a gamble on landing a big free agent that would guarantee your team is in contention long after Dirk is gone?

mavsfan1000
12-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Good news is we have plenty of money to throw at Barea. :rolleyes

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for making my point.

The Mavs have had the talent for years. Only in 11 did the entire team put it together for 16 playoff games.
And thanks in return for making mine: The Mavs found a team chemistry that wants to win, and knows how to win. They've reached the summit and know how to get back there.

It would be a huge mistake to spin the wheel on that again.

And because Dirk is a mid range shooter mostly, not banging bodies unless he wants to, he's got some years left where he can still be effective on the offensive end.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4834977&postcount=100

:lol nothing in that post said you expected Chandler to stay healthy all season and lead the Mavs to a title.

I knew OKC fucked up when they passed on Chandler. I knew Dallas became the team to beat.

:lol show me one post before the season started that proves this.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Only reason they shouldn't resign Chandler is if they have a shot at Howard.

Neither D-Will nor Chris Paul are players you want to build your entire franchise's future around.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
In the Mavs situation: Sign Chandler. I already explained to you how difficult it would be for the Mavs to get one of the Big 3 even if they don't sign Chandler. It almost would be just as difficult. I don't think you have a good understanding of the salary cap and the situation the Mavs are in, even after I explained it to you which is why we are arguing about it.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Only reason they shouldn't resign Chandler is if they have a shot at Howard.

If they have the money they'll have a shot. Theoretically they should have the money to do it, which is why I'm against signing Chandler.

Is it still a longshot to get Howard? Probably. But again, I'm willing to take that risk knowing that they've already got a title in the bag.

mavsfan1000
12-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I gotta say I got a tendency of being an emo mavs fan. Don't take all my comments seriously. Chandler would obviously be a huge loss. It's just that I don't think having him will get us another championship anyways.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I don't think you have a good understanding of the salary cap and the situation the Mavs are in, even after I explained it to you which is why we are arguing about it.

:lol everybody else says they'd have the money to do it, but no, I'll take your word for it. You're the guy who gets paid money to know these things.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Don't take all my comments seriously.

or any of them. Fuck off, Bulls fan.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Also, one INCREDIBLY HUGE factor I didn't even mention: Dwight could very well be traded this season. It could be via Extend and Trade (not all that likely IMO), and even if it's just a straight trade, if it's to a team he likes you have to worry about them being able to extend him for more money than the Mavs can offer.

So I was only explaining how difficult it would be just by looking at the Mavs roster/financial situation and there is an entire whole other side to the risk of waiting as I pointed out above.

So to clarify: Don't sign Tyson this season, don't compete for a title, have a slim chance at signing Dwight on the chance he actually makes it to free agency.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Also, one INCREDIBLY HUGE factor I didn't even mention: Dwight could very well be traded this season. It could be via Extend and Trade (not all that likely IMO), and even if it's just a straight trade, if it's to a team he likes you have to worry about them being able to extend him for more money than the Mavs can offer.

So I was only explaining how difficult it would be just by looking at the Mavs roster/financial situation and there is an entire whole other side to the risk of waiting as I pointed out above.

So to clarify: Don't sign Tyson this season, don't compete for a title, have a slim chance at signing Dwight on the chance he actually makes it to free agency.

I'm convinced, especially considering just how right you were about dem Mavs :smokin last season.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:27 AM
:lol everybody else says they'd have the money to do it, but no, I'll take your word for it. You're the guy who gets paid money to know these things.

I didn't say they wouldn't have the money. In fact, I said the opposite. What I said is that in order to have the money to get Dwight (meaning offering him max dollars), Mavs would only have Dirk/Dwight/Marion/Roddy B/Jones/Brewer and at best have about 7M to fill the rest of the roster.

So Dwight would first actually have to make it to FA, Mavs would have to take the steps to free up the 20M to pay Dwight, he would have to want to go to the Mavs with that roster & they would have minimal dollars to fill out their team.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Guy, on this board, no one has been more wrong about the Mavs than you :lol

:lol Wrong about them last year

:lol trade Dirk

mavsfan1000
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
or any of them. Fuck off, Bulls fan.
Fuck you dickhole.

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:29 AM
:lol nothing in that post said you expected Chandler to stay healthy all season and lead the Mavs to a title.

You moved the goalposts. I expected him to perform well, else Dirk would not have single coverage. Why would I mention him otherwise?

:lol show me one post before the season started that proves this.
I was saying that shit in December, one month into the season. Do you think I was cherry picking? Did Chandler bust out so much by December as to cause a 180 degree shift? Funny no one else was cherry picking Chandler. In fact, many Mavs fans here abandoned the team not long after the turn of the year.

No, Tyson Chandler's performance did not surprise me. The Laker's performance surprised me. I thought they would give Dallas more of a run.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Guy, on this board, no one has been more wrong about the Mavs than you :lol

:lol Wrong about them last year

:lol trade Dirk

I'm wrong for the right reasons.

You're wrong for the wrong reasons.

That's the difference.

PANEcjhSfv4

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Then there is this gem :lol

If GNSF said something this dumb you would never let it die. "But but but we can't see the future and you don't know how awesome Corey Brewer and Jones could turn out to be!"

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
You moved the goalposts. I expected him to perform well, else Dirk would not have single coverage.

Hell fucking no I didn't. I've stated in my posts here that nobody exected him to perform AND stay healthy. After his history, how could you possibly say you expected him to stay healthy? Again, you're a fucking liar if you say you did.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Then there is this gem :lol

If GNSF said something this dumb you would never let it die. "But but but we can't see the future and you don't know how awesome Corey Brewer and Jones could turn out to be!"

DPG wrong bout dem Mavs :smokin

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Like this?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158822&highlight=Donnie

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm wrong for the right reasons.

You're wrong for the wrong reasons.

That's the difference.

PANEcjhSfv4

Ok. Or you just have shit takes sometimes :lol

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Like this?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158822&highlight=Donnie

I was wrong for the right reasons.

He was wrong for the wrong reasons.

It's that simple.

PANEcjhSfv4

DPG21920
Db.comer

DPG21920
Mono ragin now boy! :lol

When someone posts youtubes over and over, you know it's bad. :lol

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Db.comer

PANEcjhSfv4

DMC
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Hell fucking no I didn't. I've stated in my posts here that nobody exected him to perform AND stay healthy. After his history, how could you possibly say you expected him to stay healthy? Again, you're a fucking liar if you say you did.
Then you went on to move the goalposts from "perform and stay healthy" to " stay healthy all season and lead the Mavs to a title".

Yes sir.

You don't have to like it.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Well, I really hope the Mavs don't resign Tyson. I can't see them doing that, at least without signing someone they might like better (Nene?). I'll take a Mavs team that is weakened with a slim chance at landing some FA the year after all day.

DMC
I was wrong for the right reasons.

He was wrong for the wrong reasons.

It's that simple.

PANEcjhSfv4
I see, some pigs are more equal than others.

Monostradamus
Then you went on to move the goalposts from "perform and stay healthy" to "lead the team to a championship".

:lmao who's moving the goalposts?

again, your next good take on this site will be your first.

rayjayjohnson
Thread is too long.

I didn't read.

Monostradamus
Thread is too long.

I didn't read.

sup rayray

ALVAREZ6
12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
lol Tyson Chicken Chandler bitching for more money in a big deal likely to compensate for some stupid financial decisions he has been making throughout his career. If I were him I'd STFU and accept what the Mavs have to offer. He's been making nice money the past few years, been in the league for a decade, now is the time to not care so much about the max $ you can milk out of a team and more about championships. I think the Mavs have a good shot at another ring if they keep their players. You never know what can happen in the playoffs. Everyone is expecting the Heat to ring this year, but what if one of the big 3 gets injured? Dirk bringing it in the playoffs is pretty much a guarantee. I say they have a good shot. Everyone knows Kobe + Tim are tired ass bags of shit right now, so they could breeze through the west.

rayjayjohnson
12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Sup mono?

Been too long homie. Still in the rap game?

redzero
12-01-2011, 01:06 AM
This is "typical role player letting a championship get into his head" behavior. Chandler was essential to the Mavs last season, and he surprised almost everybody by managing to stay healthy. However, he still isn't worth what he wants, especially now more than ever. If he really means what he said, then I'd let him go.

adrienne
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Seriously bummed about this. I'm about to offer him half my paycheck (you know, to use as toilet paper or something since it's microscopic compared to his) and unlimited baked goods. Maybe free babysitting.

ALVAREZ6
12-01-2011, 01:10 AM
lol watch Tyson walk, Nene sign with the Mavs, and the team rings again :lol
lol stupid tyson chicken chandler

http://www.organicauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tyson_chick.jpg

http://www.austingrocer.com/graphics/grocery_images/frozen_tyson_chicken_buf_strips28.jpg

rayjayjohnson
12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
lol watch jason terry meltdown artest circa-2004.
lol dirk blows out both knees

Jacob1983
12-01-2011, 03:33 AM
If the Mavs lose Chandler, it will be tough to deal with that. He is the best center the Mavs have ever had. It would be a huge shame to let him go.

daspurs
12-01-2011, 05:17 AM
He's got a condo up in biscayne.

Killakobe81
12-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Thou, still shell shocked from all the agony prior to this past June.

You never get over it. I still feel the catastrophe of '84 to this very day. I feel that more severely than I do the victories. I'll take '84 to the grave. Watching those Celtics humps waving those white towels and looking down toward the Laker bench. I had such hatred, I wanted to kill. Then when '85 came and we broke thru I figured the pain and wounds would go away and heal. Nope.

Amen, brother. 1984 was like the hottest girl on campus telling you she wanted you, taking you back to her room telling you that she was ready for you ...then at the last minute saying...she can't do this ...she still loves her HS sweet-heart ...so close to heaven ...but yet we were left with blue-balls and painful memories of "what could have been" ...seeing Maxwell wave that white towell is one of te most painful memories of my youth ...

and that missed opportunity with the bddest chick from freshman orientation still haunts me years later as well ... :rollin

And banging her cute dorm-mate a week later NEVER replaces the fact that you missed out on possibly the best piece of ass you ever had ...

Pelicans78
12-01-2011, 08:33 AM

His season in 2007-2008 for the Hornets was better than the season he had last year. He was the 2nd best player after CP3 that year and his injury in Game 5 against the Spurs took two years to heal. He's worth at least 10 million a season.

SenorSpur
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM

I agree. I truly believe the Mavs and Cuban have turned away from Chandler because they feel like they have a realistic shot at Dwight Howard.

Killakobe81
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think Chandler is crazy to expect some respect, here. Mavs were considered soft. Before he went there. He was. A big part of changing the culture. Sure u don't just pay him without looking at big picture but Dirk and the city deserve a chance to defend that title as the offensive and defensive leaders

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I hope the FO thinks like Mono. I really do. I hope they have blind optimism and severely derail their chance at repeating. Like I said, unless they replace Tyson this year, it's a massive low % gamble.

Hell I remember when Mono flipped out bc they got Tyson for Damps contract :lol

stretch
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, I really hope the Mavs don't resign Tyson. I can't see them doing that, at least without signing someone they might like better (Nene?). I'll take a Mavs team that is weakened with a slim chance at landing some FA the year after all day.

Now THIS is something I've been intrigued by the entire time.

Getting Nene instead of Tyson may cost the team some defense and rebounding (although Nene isn't just a complete slouch, he can hold his own fine), but I think an argument can be made that their offense would improve more than their defense would suffer. Dirk would finally have a legit low-post scorer at his side. Being able to have two big-men playing high-low is something this league hasn't seen very often and would most likely have an incredibly difficult time defending. Nene can also play backup PF, giving Haywood more available minutes, making him happier and hopefully giving more effort and playing like the Center he was when he first got to Dallas.

I would be happy if the Mavs got either guy.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree Phillip. What they shouldn't do is what Mono said IMO.

adrienne
12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm prematurely grieving and, at the moment, just assume that we'll get no one and do nothing and Dirk will just retire in 2 years as a way to escape mediocrity and despair. Who knew I'd ever be depressed over Tyson Chandler?

I'll get over it. Just a let down after being so excited for this season to finally start.

stretch
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I agree Phillip. What they shouldn't do is what Mono said IMO.

I wouldn't purposely let Chandler walk, or miss out on getting a guy like Nene, but if they simply are unable to sign them, it's not the end of the world, it just starts the process of rebuilding a little sooner. They will have more minutes to give to younger guys like Roddy, DoJo, and Mahinmi to go ahead and develop them for the future, and will have cap space to try to be players in 2012 (as Kidd and Terry's contracts both come off the books as well).

Even if they were unsuccessful players in 2012, at least we can be happy knowing that they got a championship, and got revenge on the Heat, redemption for their previous failures, and finally got the best of the Lakers all in the process.

I kinda wish they hadn't traded Jordan Hamilton for Rudy though, considering Rudy will probably just bolt after this year. If they don't get Tyson/Nene this season, that trade was completely useless, and they virtually gave away a guy with nice potential. If they can keep Tyson or get Nene though, getting Fernandez IMO gave them a better shot than people realize at repeating as he fills several needs that the Mavs had, as you pointed out in another thread.

stretch
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
And fuck Phillip, I hate that guy. If I ever see him again, I will beat the shit out of him.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't purposely let Chandler walk, or miss out on getting a guy like Nene, but if they simply are unable to sign them, it's not the end of the world, it just starts the process of rebuilding a little sooner. They will have more minutes to give to younger guys like Roddy, DoJo, and Mahinmi to go ahead and develop them for the future, and will have cap space to try to be players in 2012 (as Kidd and Terry's contracts both come off the books as well).

Even if they were unsuccessful players in 2012, at least we can be happy knowing that they got a championship, and got revenge on the Heat, redemption for their previous failures, and finally got the best of the Lakers all in the process.

I kinda wish they hadn't traded Jordan Hamilton for Rudy though, considering Rudy will probably just bolt after this year. If they don't get Tyson/Nene this season, that trade was completely useless, and they virtually gave away a guy with nice potential. If they can keep Tyson or get Nene though, getting Fernandez IMO gave them a better shot than people realize at repeating as he fills several needs that the Mavs had, as you pointed out in another thread.

I agree with all of this.

stretch
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
stfu shortstack

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Ok.

mavs>spurs
12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
And fuck Phillip, I hate that guy. If I ever see him again, I will beat the shit out of him.

Me too scrah, shoot em damn pickle breaths on sight!

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope the FO thinks like Mono. I really do. I hope they have blind optimism and severely derail their chance at repeating.

:lmao how is admitting "there's probably no way they repeat even with Chandler" in any way, shape, or form blind optimism? please explain that. And how is saying "Take a shot at getting Dwight Howard" blind optimism as well?

All I said was they probably can't win another title with Chandler, and with one title in the bag, there's no reason why they can't sacrifice this season in an attempt to hit a home run next season. I'm not saying it's a done deal, I'm not offering photoshopped pics of Dwight Howard in a Mavs uniform, I'm just saying if they have a shot, they should go for it. Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Mono, just stop. You look like an idiot right now.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
:cry :cry :cry

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 04:32 PM
DBdotcom

JamStone
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
If Dallas has any chance of landing one of those big FAs next summer, it's clear one thing has to happen. One of the Mavs young players has to become a star this upcoming season. Whether it's Beabois or Rudy Fernandez or Dominique Jones, one of them has to play the part of an up-and-coming legitimate star. Dirk's 33 years old. It's similar to why CP3 has expressed he wouldn't want to sign longterm with the Celtics. Dirk at his age isn't enough to get one of those FAs to sign on for 5 years knowing the Mavs' window is closing too.

Monostradamus
12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
DBdotcom

"take it from me, I'm a Spurs fan so I know what championship basketball is all about. the Mavs won't win! their defense sucks no wait's it's pretty good no wait it's solid hey don't twist my words!"

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok.

stretch
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
If Dallas has any chance of landing one of those big FAs next summer, it's clear one thing has to happen. One of the Mavs young players has to become a star this upcoming season. Whether it's Beabois or Rudy Fernandez or Dominique Jones, one of them has to play the part of an up-and-coming legitimate star. Dirk's 33 years old. It's similar to why CP3 has expressed he wouldn't want to sign longterm with the Celtics. Dirk at his age isn't enough to get one of those FAs to sign on for 5 years knowing the Mavs' window is closing too.

This.

By letting Butler and Barea walk, it will allow this to potentially happen.

Personally, I am a fan of the idea of the Mavs going after Nene. He has more upside than Chandler IMO.

NewcastleKEG
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
This.

By letting Butler and Barea walk, it will allow this to potentially happen.

Personally, I am a fan of the idea of the Mavs going after Nene. He has more upside than Chandler IMO.
Offensively....but you already have enough of that

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I think he was referring to letting Tyson walk and not going after anyone this year to save as much cap space w/o having to trade someone as possible to go after Dwight or someone next year as mono suggests.

NewcastleKEG
12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I think he was referring to letting Tyson walk and not going after anyone this year to save as much cap space w/o having to trade someone as possible to go after Dwight or someone next year as mono suggests.
Dumb strategy

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Yup

stretch
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM

You talking about what I said, or what JamStone said?

I'm not suggesting that at all. However I know that is what JamStone said. My point is, there is a good chance that Butler doesnt come back, which will open up more minutes for Fernandez, Brewer and Jones. And if Barea doesnt come back (which IMO the Mavs should not get him unless they can also get Tyson), then it allows Roddy to develop too. So whether they get someone like Tyson or Nene, or not, chances are is that they will need to get some more minutes out of guys like Fernandez, Jones and Brewer.