PDA

View Full Version : The bidding part of the Amnesty Clause

JamStone
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Can someone help explain it to me better?

Just from cursory reading, I have the understanding that if a team waives a player via the amnesty clause, only teams with cap space can attempt to acquire him by placing silent bids with the percentage amount they are willing to pay of the remainder of the contract.

That would mean amnesty waived players would have no say what team they would go to and already strong teams that are over the cap can't get good players on the cheap to strengthen their "superfriends" rosters.

Is this correct?

Koolaid_Man
12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Just from cursory reading, I have the understanding that if a team waives a player via the amnesty clause, only teams with cap space can attempt to acquire him by placing silent bids with the percentage amount they are willing to pay of the remainder of the contract.

That would mean amnesty waived players would have no say what team they would go to and already strong teams that are over the cap can't get good players on the cheap to strengthen their "superfriends" rosters.

Is this correct?

ask Tayshaun Prince...:lol

seriously..in a sense your assumption is correct...the bidding system is in place to allow under the cap teams offer more than the minimum. They can put in their bid but if a player says he doesn't want to play for them they will eventually decline the player then becomes a free agent and can therefore go where he chooses. - I know all of this and I haven't even read the rule book...I'm just good like that...:lol

mavs>spurs
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
^no fag

Mel_13
12-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Is this correct?

The final details won't be known until the CBA is written and signed, but you've got the essential facts correct. A player claimed off waivers goes to the team that claimed him (or the highest bidder if more than one team submits a claim).

See paragraph 14 for the amnesty rules as they stand so far:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_JqVMjKAfLYNzU3YzVlNDAtMDBlOS00Y2UwLWE5ZTI tM2RkZTdjN2FmMzI4&hl=en_US