PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trying to get Oberto back?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-articles/december/report-spurs-looked-to-add-oberto-before-the-lockout.html

Report: Spurs looked to add Oberto before the lockout

Written by Jeff Garcia | 01 December 2011

It's plain to see the San Antonio Spurs need more big-man depth.

Tim Duncan is about the only legit big man the Spurs have on the roster. Not to take away anything from DeJuan Blair, and Antonio McDyess but they can only do so much to contend with the big men of the NBA. Matt Bonner is not known for his defense and Tiago Splitter still has yet to prove he can man the paint along side Duncan or by himself.

But did the Spurs try to add make an attempt to add some depth at the 5-spot by trying to add former Spur Fabricio Oberto to the roster before the lockout? Apparently so.

According to Oberto's agent Carlos Prunes (via the Argentine site Ole), the Spurs attempted to add "Fab" before the NBA lockout.

"The Spurs expressed their desire for Oberto to be the fifth center, but that was before the lockout. Still need to see if they want to add him."

Oberto would make a seamless transition into the roster if the Spurs do continue any interest in adding him. He knows the Spurs' system, is still a fan-favorite, wouldn't disrupt chemistry, and is exactly what Popovich loves in a player -- veteran, "do everything" kind of player.

But at the same time, he isn't young, athletic, and has been through heart issues which may be of concern. Not to mention how much gas does he have in his tank?

Though the report says if Oberto doesn't make a return to the NBA, Europe will be his next stop but what do you have to say Spurs fans? Should the Spurs make a run at Oberto?

portnoy1
12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I am for anything that will limit Bonner's minutes. Maybe Pop will give up a little on this spread the floor crap, if the Oberto makes an impact on defense.

lefty
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
The Centerpiece !

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I would take him back just for the sake of it being cool to have him back. He would do nothing for us.

benefactor
12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
http://conanvisser.blog.com/files/2011/06/MOveON.jpg

Bruno
12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I've seen some games of Argentina NT this summer and Oberto was awful. If someone in Spurs FO has seen these games, which I'm quite sure, there are no way Spurs want to have Oberto back.

Oberto has had an amazing winning career but he isn't able to play at a high level. He can maybe try to be on Argentina NT roster for the Olympics. It's a realistic goal for him because Argentina NT is awfully weak at the C spot.

ElNono
12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Oberto is done. I don't think he'll make it to the Olympics, and honestly, Gutierrez is younger and better than him at this stage.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Oberto's over the hill and he's got a bum ticker. I'd love to see him back, but only to spend the season behind the bench in a suit. Realistically, all he could do for the Spurs is cost them a chance at developing young players.

timtonymanu
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
No. The Spurs need to move a step forward instead of taking a step back. Might as well resign Kurt Thomas or Theo Ratliff while they're at it.

I'm a fan of Oberto, but he shouldn't come back. If the Spurs had a talented front line, I wouldn't mind Oberto being back but we have Bonner and Blair as our frontline. Spurs can do better than Oberto.

bigfan
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
The last thing I want to see is Oberto having a massive coronary in a Spurs uniform.

crc21209
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
In his head he probably wants to continue playing, but he should seriously think about his health....

Texas_Ranger
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Please no. We don't need old guys, plus Oberto is not a reall good rebounder. Bringing Oberto back is almost as bad as bringing K-Will.

The Truth #6
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
What?! An agent telling people that the Spurs want to sign his client as a way to boost his value? Never!

slick'81
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
really oberto lol

lefty
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
It's getting harder for me to cheer for this team.

I should root for the best team and unload my life of some unnecessary stress :lol

baseline bum
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I'd rather have him than Bonner.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd rather have him than Bonner.

Yarp.

baseline bum
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Hell, I'd take Finley over Bonner too.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 12:44 AM
rather have one more season with dice then oberto

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 01:50 AM
If the Spurs FO is going to seriously pursue this option, they may as well bring back Finley, Bowen and Kurt Thomas and let's have a "real" reunion.

Seriously, let's hope not. Oberto was functional when he was here, but he's done.

Besides, if the Spurs seriously want to try and contend for a title in TD's last year, they'll need a serious upgrade to the frontline. Oberto, at his age, would be a step back.

Sean Cagney
12-02-2011, 01:59 AM
If the Spurs FO is going to seriously pursue this option, they may as well bring back Finley, Bowen and Kurt Thomas and let's have a "real" reunion.

Seriously, let's hope not. Oberto was functional when he was here, but he's done.

Besides, if the Spurs seriously want to try and contend for a title in TD's last year, they'll need a serious upgrade to the frontline. Oberto, at his age, would be a step back.

I agree 100%, good post to say the least.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I would have no problem getting Kurt Thomas back. This guy is still a very solid defensive player and can hit a jump shot occasionally ...