PDA

View Full Version : LETS TALK Kawhi Leonard

FalleNxWiZarDx
12-01-2011, 03:47 PM
WHO IS THIS DUDE? ANY NEWS? I notice he is 6-7 which is 1 inch taller then Kobe, but 1 inch smaller then Lebron....

Where does RJ fit in all of this?

GLAD NBA IS BACK!!! WELCOME EVERYONE!

let the games begin :flag: :toast

ElNono
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Benchwarmer starting to get over himself...

stephen jackson
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
rj spreads the floor so hes gunna start duh :)

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
As the season approaches, I find myself more and more excited about Kawhi. Lets look at the facts:

1) First lottery (close enough) pick for the Spurs since Duncan
2) Gave up a good young rotational player whom they really loved for him
3) Has legit size/motor/athleticism
4) EVERYTHING I have read about this kid shows he has an outrageous work ethic and great head on his shoulders
5) Is widely know for his defense and is a winner
6) Has been an elite rebounder and that is one of the stats that always translates well from college to pros

I know I trust the Spurs FO more than about anyone and they very rarely ever miss when they really target someone. Even the guys they don't get, but we know they wanted turn out to be solid players. They gave up a good amount to get him because they really wanted him and that to me shows he has the chance to be something special. Plus the more you read about him, the more you find yourself rooting for the guy to succeed.

elemento
12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
His game reminds me Gerald Wallace.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Laka.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
How are things?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
As the season approaches, I find myself more and more excited about Kawhi. Lets look at the facts:

1) First lottery (close enough) pick for the Spurs since Duncan
2) Gave up a good young rotational player whom they really loved for him
3) Has legit size/motor/athleticism
4) EVERYTHING I have read about this kid shows he has an outrageous work ethic and great head on his shoulders
5) Is widely know for his defense and is a winner
6) Has been an elite rebounder and that is one of the stats that always translates well from college to pros

I know I trust the Spurs FO more than about anyone and they very rarely ever miss when they really target someone. Even the guys they don't get, but we know they wanted turn out to be solid players. They gave up a good amount to get him because they really wanted him and that to me shows he has the chance to be something special. Plus the more you read about him, the more you find yourself rooting for the guy to succeed.

Listen to this man. Quite a few good reasons to be mildly excited about Kawhi. :D

Obstructed_View
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
After Gary Neal, I don't put anything past the FO. Can't wait to see the kid play, that's for sure.

The Truth #6
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I'd like to see Leonard start.

Tim
Tiago
Leonard
Neal
Parker

Then off the bench have: Manu, RJ, Blair, Anderson and what ever dregs of humanity are left on the roster.

Leonard's greatest asset for the Spurs might be his versatility on defense. Having him defend possibly everyone from the 2 to the 4, depending on the situation, should really help our defense with rotations and switches and all that. He can't really score, but if he's around Parker and Neal, it's not like there will be any shots left to go around, other than garbage and rebounds, which seems to be his game anyway.

stephen jackson
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Tim
Tiago
Leonard
Neal
Parker

Then off the bench have: Manu, RJ, Blair, Anderson and what ever dregs of humanity are left on the roster.

Leonard's greatest asset for the Spurs might be his versatility on defense. Having him defend possibly everyone from the 2 to the 4, depending on the situation, should really help our defense with rotations and switches and all that. He can't really score, but if he's around Parker and Neal, it's not like there will be any shots left to go around, other than garbage and rebounds, which seems to be his game anyway.
cant hurt to try.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Tim
Tiago
Leonard
Neal
Parker

Certainly not a bad idea. Manu plays point guard for the second unit anyway!

The Truth #6
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Leonard probably won't get much of a shake because of Pop's reluctance to play rookies, but this season will be a real grind and I do think a ten man rotation is needed - maybe not for every game, but we do need multiple players to play to get through this shortened season without grinding our vets into dust.

Pop is like a chess player who considers his moves far in advance. But with the potential chaos inherent in this season, he would be wise to adjust to the reality of the season as it unfolds.

intlspurshk
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
You can always count on SPURS FO for drafting good players

You can always ignore SPURS FO work on FA signing and trade, which always yield poor result

ivanfromwestwood
12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
You can always count on SPURS FO for drafting good players

You can always ignore SPURS FO work on FA signing and trade, which always yield poor resulti couldnt agree more. best FA they ever signed was Bowen and he was not a marquee player.

E-RockWill
12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Leonard will be the long-armed defensive stopper we've been waiting for.

Ocotillo
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah, with b2b2b games, Pop is going to be sitting Tim out a lot so I see RJ getting the nod at center for those games.

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
qczVCZFfUlY

Borosai
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Leonard will start. Guaranteed.

The Truth #6
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Sports Science...they seem like a bad infomercial company with paid actors. Still, it's cool to see Leonard material.

Solid D
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
It depends on how much Leonard can pick up the defensive system. The kid is a stud and it's going to be up to Pop to figure out where to use him as the season moves along. Although there won't be much teaching time, there also will be less time for older bodies to recover between games so Pop will be forced to use the young legs more often this season. He's not a wing shooter so he will be a one-off like DeJuan has been. Blair is not a typical Spurs' post player due to his height and Kawahi is an atypical 3.

Kawahi's talent begs for him to be used and integrated. Let's hope he's a quick study on D.

ElNono
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
It depends on how much Leonard can pick up the defensive system.

What defensive system? :lol

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
How well did Bonner and RJ pick up the defensive system? They sure played a lot...

ElNono
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Spurs defensive system: "Bowen, you go get the guy with the hot hand" :lol

:depressed

Solid D
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
It's obviously been a long off-season.

Oscar DeLa
12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know what it is, but when i see leonard? I see size!!

DPG21920
12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
They abandoned defense. If Pop is at all serious about getting back to his defensive roots, he will start demanding defense for playing time. If that is the case, Tiago/Leonard have to be given a shot.

crc21209
12-01-2011, 11:19 PM
We all know Leonard won't start unless he plays like Bruce Bowen pt 2. right off the bat, which probably won't happen. All we can hope for is that the youth of Leonard, Splitter, Anderson, and maybe even Joseph come through and give the vets a big boost this year....

Interrohater
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm not quite sure if Pop will be reluctant to play Kawhi early on. He seems okay to play those that he has confidence in. I don't think it's a rule of his not to play rookies, but a process of feeling out the player's abilities and grasp of the system through training camp and beyond. I think Kawhi will play early and often.

ElNono
12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
They abandoned defense. If Pop is at all serious about getting back to his defensive roots, he will start demanding defense for playing time. If that is the case, Tiago/Leonard have to be given a shot.

I just hope Pop took some humbling on the fact that the Griz tanked to get us and then backed it up.

SequSpur
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
You can always count on Pop to play Bonner! Yay go spurs go!

Solid D
12-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Haha. I'm sure it seemed like the Spurs abandoned their defense, since they ranked 11th defensively. Sadly, they just haven't had the legs, length or the personnel to rank much better than that the past 3 or 4 years. Therefore, they had to score in order to win. They still have a system. They still have rotational rules that differ from most other NBA teams. Dice, Roger Mason Jr., Matt Bonner, George Hill and others have all commented about how the Spurs' defensive system is different and difficult to pick up right away. (We all know how challenged Matt has been & only Pop can justify his playing time)

SequSpur
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Haha. I'm sure it seemed like the Spurs abandoned their defense, since they ranked 11th defensively. Sadly, they just haven't had the legs, length or the personnel to rank much better than that the past 3 or 4 years. Therefore, they had to score in order to win. They still have a system. They still have rotational rules that differ from most other NBA teams. Dice, Roger Mason Jr., Matt Bonner, George Hill and others have all commented about how the Spurs' defensive system is different and difficult to pick up right away. (We all know how challenged Matt has been & only Pop can justify his playing time)

Dude, you drink way to much RC Punch. Really dude... Basketball is fucking basketball. It's a game of tall athletic ballas. That's it, it's pretty simple...

he who has the the tall homies, wins the fucking game.

Rocket Science.

SequSpur
12-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Having David and Tim on the floor at the same time is better than any "system".

It's time for your "management" to get some fucking players up in the is bitch and win some games....

Fuck the system...

the system allows Matt Fucking Bonner minutes...what kind of system is that?

Solid D
12-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Basketball is ****ing basketball. It's a game of tall athletic ballas. That's it, it's pretty simple...

he who has the the tall homies, wins the ****ing game.

Rocket Science.

In simpleton terms, true.

SequSpur
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
the system allows Matt Fucking Bonner minutes...what kind of system is that?

Hey RC Koolaid drinker, answer this question?

ElNono
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM

And whose fault is that? Because we certainly paid up handsomely for personnel to beef up the offense.

Solid D
12-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't drink RC's Koolaid. His Koolaid gets him arrested. I said only Pop can justify his playing time. Catch up.

Solid D
12-02-2011, 12:10 AM
And whose fault is that? Because we certainly paid up handsomely for personnel to beef up the offense.

I think you must know the answer to that one. Is this another Richard Jefferson thread? He's really the only player outside of the Big 3 and Dice that the Spurs paid handsomely (>$5M/yr) and we all know about the misevaluation of that player.

SequSpur
12-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't drink RC's Koolaid. His Koolaid gets him arrested. I said only Pop can justify his playing time. Catch up.

Pop is an idiot...

Answer the question.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
I also disagree that the Spurs didn't have the defensive players. Advanced metrics show the Spurs defense was better with Tiago on the floor. Danny Green defended very well. There were some players that if you cared enough about defense would have gotten more burn.

SequSpur
12-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Pop is a tool...

We all know who are the Popcocksuckers in this forum....

Pop needs to go...his run is up. Time to start over...

His brilliance in creating more minutes for Matt Bonner is ridiculous.

I don't give a fuck if Ducks was the coach...he wouldn't look down the bench and put in matt bonner to help beat an 8th seed! WTF! I don't get it.

Brox6
12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
is he better than Anderson?

objective
12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I just hope Pop took some humbling on the fact that the Griz tanked to get us and then backed it up.

Pop being humbled? :lol

Pop blamed the series loss on the Spurs being 'out of rhythm (http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/30/spurs-popovich.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2)' because of late season minor injuries.

And that every team was pretty much the same and as good as anyone else in the west.

BACK to the subject at hand.

If Leonard can help the Spurs, he won't play. That's the Pop way.

Solid D
12-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Legth and interior defense makes all the difference. Dallas is going to miss Tyson Chandler.

timtonymanu
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Looking forward to see Kawhi on the floor.

I just hope he gets the chance to play. I don't want to see him treated like Splitter.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Legth and interior defense makes all the difference. Dallas is going to miss Tyson Chandler.

So in your opinion why didn't Tiago play more?

SequSpur
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Tiago Splitter sucks. If that is our big man option this year...it's gonna be a LONG season...

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Not a veteran. Same reason Leonard's likely to be glued to the bench far too often.

Buddy Holly
12-02-2011, 12:45 AM

They both play different positions.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 12:55 AM
i seriously hope pop is force to play him of the bat alot of minutes, like he did with bowen and parker when they got here...

just play them, is better then having bonner or rj on the court doing shit all

we must give the younger players the experience needed for the future where this team is heading when duncan, ginoboli is no longer here....

ElNono
12-02-2011, 01:02 AM
I think you must know the answer to that one. Is this another Richard Jefferson thread? He's really the only player outside of the Big 3 and Dice that the Spurs paid handsomely (>$5M/yr) and we all know about the misevaluation of that player.

We could've saved $3m/season on Ginger too instead of outbidding ourselves...

Or the player's options we kept on handing out...

ElNono
12-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Not a veteran. Same reason Leonard's likely to be glued to the bench far too often.

Yeah.. I think Pop called it "pecking order"...

FuzzyLumpkins
12-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Its not like there is a groundswell of talent at the 3/4. Pop also like to go small and already wanted Jefferson to play the 4 so it stands to reason he will go back there.

Ditty
12-02-2011, 01:28 AM

I can see them both as top 10 players at there positions, if they stay healthy in the next few seasons.

That would defintley help to rebuild this team quicker, with maybe a bad season or two, and a good free agent signing, to get back on track.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Before his foot injury James Anderson averaged nearly 18 minutes per game ...

- although he is a SG and the Spurs were deep at that position
- because he could also play a litle SF

Spurs are now 1 SG short without G. Hill, so I expect Anderson to get these minutes. Neal keeps his minutes, but may have to take over some PG duties. Having said this I see no problem in Leonard playing 20 minutes behind RJ at the SF. Pop plays talented rookies ... the Spurs just did not have many Top 20 picks.

Nathan89
12-02-2011, 02:01 AM

I hope so Anderson isn't that good.

Nathan89
12-02-2011, 02:05 AM
qczVCZFfUlY

Nice video. The guy has freak features. Hard to imagine a guy 6'7 with longer wingspan than Bynum.

http://blacksportsonline.com/index/aamir,%20bynum%20dunk.jpg

Look at the extension of those arms. Best photo of him with extending arms so I had to use it.

Can't wait to see Kawhi

mystargtr34
12-02-2011, 07:07 AM
I think the best starting line up potentially would be Tim, Tiago, Leonard, Anderson, Parker. Its asking a little too much for this to be the lineup to start the season so I fully expect Manu to start unless Anderson and Kahwi really hit the ground running.

But eventually i think this lineup could work, it would allow Manu to come of the bench where he can be most effective with the ball in his hands. It would also allow Tim and Tony to get into a good offensive rhythm early without Manu taking the ball out of their hands. That starting lineup has great defensive potential.

dbestpro
12-02-2011, 07:43 AM
I think the best starting line up potentially would be Tim, Tiago, Leonard, Anderson, Parker. Its asking a little too much for this to be the lineup to start the season so I fully expect Manu to start unless Anderson and Kahwi really hit the ground running.

The only problem I see is that at some point it may force Pop to play Bonner and Blair on the floor at the same time, which is arguably the worse defensive front court combination in the NBA.

silverblackfan
12-02-2011, 08:12 AM
The only problem I see is that at some point it may force Pop to play Bonner and Blair on the floor at the same time, which is arguably the worse defensive front court combination in the NBA.

It is still an exciting starting line up with great defensive possibilities. If Bonner and Blair have to play together against bench players it is only bad defensively. Especially with Manu working with Blair, who has great hands.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
NBA Rookie Ladder has Kawhi Leonard at #6 ...

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Muser
12-02-2011, 08:54 AM
People saying he's gonna start must of forgotten this is a Gregg Popovich team.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Funny how that's so important until the Spurs are getting their asses kicked in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 09:31 AM
We all know that Pop typically keeps rooks and first-year players glued to the bench. However, I think that before the 66-game season is over, and if you factor in the grueling schedule, he'll get so frustrated with RJ that he will have no choice other than to give Kawhi a good 20 mins per night.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
We all know that Pop typically keeps rooks and first-year players glued to the bench. However, I think that before the 66-game season is over, and if you factor in the grueling schedule, he'll get so frustrated with RJ that he will have no choice other than to give Kawhi a good 20 mins per night.

He didn't get frustrated with Finley or Bonner.

What we all need to do is pray that Leonard doesn't nick himself shaving or pull a hangnail early in the season. That seems to be enough for the Spurs not to work him into the rotation.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Leonard will get the playing time once he gets over himself.

Phenomanul
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Speaking of Bowen... any chance he is brought in to personally train Leonard in his craft?

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
He doesn't appear to be working at ESPN. He wasn't really given much respect by the organization in my opinion. I'd be surprised if he were brought in by the Spurs, though he should be brought in by someone. You can see him being a head coach someday.

texwheel
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Could Kawhi be our next Bowen? He may be making the transition already. Lose the dreadlocks for a shaved head and look who's back: http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/draft_2011?page=2

FuzzyLumpkins
12-02-2011, 01:52 PM

He keeps scrub rookies on the bench. He played the shit out of Anderson until he got hurt. For every Tiago there has been a Hill, Blair, Parker, Manu and Neal.

So no we don't know what Pop typically does because aside from force feeding us a shooting big no matter what he doesn't have a 'typical.'

jesterbobman
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure if I want Kawhi starting, but I do want him playing a significant number of minutes. I would say we can be pretty confidant that Bonner will play ~ 20 minutes a game this year, and I want Kawhi out there for almost all of those minutes. Basically, because then at least our team rebounding will be good even with Bonner on the floor, Kawhi's proficiency covering up for Bonner allergies to the boards. It also seems like they would fit together offensively, with Kawhi in the mid range and Bonner spacing the floor. It's not perfect, and I do want Kawhi playing a lot, but if Tiago is starting(hopefully) then I think starting RJ(or some small forward with range, depending on trades) seems a better starting option than starting Kawhi and having only 1 player with legitimate 3 point range in the starting lineup(Whether that is Neal, Anderson or Manu.)

I could definitely see Kawhi in the crunch time lineup, alongside Big 3 and Tiago.

texbumTHElife
12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
His game reminds me Gerald Wallace.

I think that's a pipe dream but if he turned out to be a Gerald Wallace type of player he would be EXACTLY what we need.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 04:29 PM
He keeps scrub rookies on the bench. He played the shit out of Anderson until he got hurt. For every Tiago there has been a Hill, Blair, Parker, Manu and Neal.

So no we don't know what Pop typically does because aside from force feeding us a shooting big no matter what he doesn't have a 'typical.'

No, he keeps rookies on the bench. Parker's the only one who got thrown into the fire since Duncan. He sat Hill until JJ Barea was gutting the Spurs in the playoffs, he started Bonner (and Finley?) over Blair his rookie year, and Manu sprained his ankle and didn't get into the lineup until the playoffs.

Buddy Holly
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Leonard will get the playing time once he gets over himself.

WTF does that even mean?

Buddy Holly
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I think that's a pipe dream but if he turned out to be a Gerald Wallace type of player he would be EXACTLY what we need.

He could be better, we don't know. Let the season start before we pronounce him whatever he is.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
No, he keeps rookies on the bench. Parker's the only one who got thrown into the fire since Duncan. He sat Hill until JJ Barea was gutting the Spurs in the playoffs, he started Bonner (and Finley?) over Blair his rookie year, and Manu sprained his ankle and didn't get into the lineup until the playoffs.

Unless you are really good at which point he starts them because thats what he has done in the past. He certainly won't be buried on the bench. This notion that Pop never starts rookies is flat false. If he is appreciably better than alternative he will start.

Leonard is going to get plenty of playing time to audition because with the contracted season schedule we are going to need his legs.

And Blair didn't start because he wasn't very good. His defense is awful. Bottom tier of the entire league awful.

Buddy Holly
12-02-2011, 07:29 PM
People saying he's gonna start must of forgotten this is a Gregg Popovich team.

The same Popovich that made a rookie the starter three games into the season at a position filled by an incompetent player? That Popovich?

Spur|n|Austin
12-02-2011, 08:07 PM
before his foot injury james anderson averaged nearly 18 minutes per game ...

- although he is a sg and the spurs were deep at that position
- because he could also play a litle sf

spurs are now 1 sg short without g. Hill, so i expect anderson to get these minutes. Neal keeps his minutes, but may have to take over some pg duties. Having said this i see no problem in leonard playing 20 minutes behind rj at the sf. Pop plays talented rookies ... The spurs just did not have many top 20 picks.

this

The Truth #6
12-02-2011, 08:11 PM
The same Popovich that made a rookie the starter three games into the season at a position filled by an incompetent player? That Popovich?

So...you think Leonard will play a lot of minutes?

Muser
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Because he could shoot the 3 at an amazing %, and being able to shoot the 3 is like pop's wet dream.

AFBlue
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Here's how I see it playing out...Leonard gets few opportunities early, but impresses. He gets more opportunity as the season progresses, but he eventually hits a wall (like all rookies do) and Pop reverts to benching him come playoff time.

Nathan89
12-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Going on record with K. Leonard is going to be very similar to Luol Deng.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Unless you are really good at which point he starts them because thats what he has done in the past.
He's done it twice, and that's only if you count Tim Duncan. That's ever.

He certainly won't be buried on the bench. This notion that Pop never starts rookies is flat false. If he is appreciably better than alternative he will start.

See the above. For a long time, Manu wasn't even starting, and he was the best player on the entire team.

Leonard is going to get plenty of playing time to audition because with the contracted season schedule we are going to need his legs.
If only logic played any part in that, we could all agree with you. Logically we all thought Splitter would at least start a single game next to Duncan. Instead they played about the fewest minutes together of any two players on the Spurs. Until the playoffs when they were getting throatfucked by the Grizzlies, that is.

And Blair didn't start because he wasn't very good. His defense is awful. Bottom tier of the entire league awful.
Except that Blair started the first 65 games of the season with his bottom of the league awful defense. Poof.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Manu sprained his ankle and didn't get into the lineup until the playoffs.

Uh? No. Manu played 69 games his first season, starting on 5. He did miss some games early on due to the sprain in his ankle during the Worlds.

His debut was on Oct 29, 2002 against LA.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Uh? No. Manu played 69 games his first season, starting on 5. He did miss some games early on due to the sprain in his ankle during the Worlds.

His debut was on Oct 29, 2002 against LA.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. You are correct. He aggravated the ankle early on and didn't really get into the rotation until January, but that's way before the playoffs. He started right away too, which sort of shoots down a point I made above. :lol

ElNono
12-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Welcome back :lol

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Welcome back :lol

Shakin' off the rust. It's preseason for all of us.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2011, 02:34 AM
He's done it twice, and that's only if you count Tim Duncan. That's ever.

See the above. For a long time, Manu wasn't even starting, and he was the best player on the entire team.

If only logic played any part in that, we could all agree with you. Logically we all thought Splitter would at least start a single game next to Duncan. Instead they played about the fewest minutes together of any two players on the Spurs. Until the playoffs when they were getting throatfucked by the Grizzlies, that is.

Except that Blair started the first 65 games of the season with his bottom of the league awful defense. Poof.

Splitter didn't play because he missed all of training camp and well into the season with injuries. He was out for months. When he came back and was out there it was obvious he could do pick and roll and literally nothing else.

He had not practiced with the team and it showed.

Blair started because the alternatives were McDyess who wanted to come off the bench and Bonner. Only when he he had eaten too many #5's and seemed to lose interest in paying attention to his rotations did he go to the pine. He also played significant minutes his rookie season.

i am not saying Kawhi will start but if he is good to go he will try and develop him as he puts stuff in. If he gets hurt and is out two or more months then he is going to have a big issue catching up. If he sucks then he just sucks.

If he can play though then Pop will put him out there.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Splitter didn't play because he missed all of training camp and well into the season with injuries. He was out for months. When he came back and was out there it was obvious he could do pick and roll and literally nothing else.

He had not practiced with the team and it showed.

You are right about missing training camp and that was the main issue. But Splitter was not out for months. He started playing in the 3rd regular season game. As Blair started to eat too much cheeseburgers I think Tiago had another small muscle injury in the second half of the season. That might have been the final straw why he never got over the hump ...

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Yeah, Splitter simply wasn't hurt as much as people like to think. He'd get 2 minutes of garbage time in one game, 14 minutes the next and then not play for the next several days.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 03:14 AM
He'd get 2 minutes of garbage time in one game, 14 minutes the next and then not play for the next several days.

Which did not help him regarding his fitness. You could see him nearly grasping for air when he was on the court for extended minutes. And that led to some mistakes on the defensive end or prevented him from finishing otherwise easy buckety ... so I have hope he will be a linchpin this year playing at least 25 minutes per game.

therealtruth
12-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I think all that matters is that Pop have the right mindset. He's got to be serious about getting better defensively. The team didn't play the best defense it could have last season. If Pop makes playing defense a must for getting playing time it will force everyone to play better defense and keep Bonner of the court since he can't even if he tries. I missed being able to see the Spurs lock down opponents.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I missed being able to see the Spurs lock down opponents.

From last season I can only remember two games in which they played such a great "swarming" defense - I think it was once against the Hornets (resulting in a big turnaround victory) and once against the Thunder. I really enjoyed that and couldn't quite understand why they were not able to duplicate it against even lesser opponents ...

Buddy Holly
12-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Because he could shoot the 3 at an amazing %, and being able to shoot the 3 is like pop's wet dream.

Tony to this day has never been able to shoot the 3 at an amazing percentage. I think you're guessing the wrong player.

Pop replaced Antonio Daniels three games into the season with a 19 year old rookie, Tony Parker.

If he's done it once, what's not to say he won't do it again with Leonard and Jefferson.

wildbill2u
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Depends upon what you want from a player. Anderson was primarily a scorer in college, looking for big stats. He's athletic so he can be taught to play more defense--but let's face it, most scorers have concentrated all through their careers on their offense and defense took a back seat. Anderson will have to learn to play defense to get a lot more time in the rotation. I hope he 'gets it.'

Leonard on the other hand, like Bowen and some few NBA players, has always been known as a hard-nosed defender and rebounder. On a team like theSpurs with a need for a defensive stopper, he may fit into Pop's rotation quicker than the average rookie. Learning the Spurs defensive system may be difficult--more so for the scorer type-- and some never 'get it" because they've never put much effort into that phase of the game.

However players who WANT to play defense, have always concerntrated on the defensive side of the game, and pride themselves on it can probably pick the system up quicker.

Also an athlete with Leonard's attributes--long arms, big hands, relentless pressure--can often make up for mental errors he makes in system rotations.

Between the two, I think Leonard fills a bigger hole in the Spurs overall needs than Anderson and may get more time on court.

Mel_13
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Depends upon what you want from a player. Anderson was primarily a scorer in college, looking for big stats. He's athletic so he can be taught to play more defense--but let's face it, most scorers have concentrated all through their careers on their offense and defense took a back seat. Anderson will have to learn to play defense to get a lot more time in the rotation. I hope he 'gets it.'

Leonard on the other hand, like Bowen and some few NBA players, has always been known as a hard-nosed defender and rebounder. On a team like theSpurs with a need for a defensive stopper, he may fit into Pop's rotation quicker than the average rookie. Learning the Spurs defensive system may be difficult--more so for the scorer type-- and some never 'get it" because they've never put much effort into that phase of the game.

However players who WANT to play defense, have always concerntrated on the defensive side of the game, and pride themselves on it can probably pick the system up quicker.

Also an athlete with Leonard's attributes--long arms, big hands, relentless pressure--can often make up for mental errors he makes in system rotations.

Between the two, I think Leonard fills a bigger hole in the Spurs overall needs than Anderson and may get more time on court.

Very good post.

To the advantages you see for Leonard, I would add that he has legitimate size for an NBA SF. When RJ rested last year, the Spurs went to a 3 guard set by default as all the players who got minutes behind RJ were SGs (Manu, Neal, Anderson).

With Hill's departure, Manu and Neal will both likely get some minutes at PG. That leaves an even bigger hole at reserve SF than last year. That's good for Leonard.

superbigtime
12-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Here's how I see it playing out...Leonard gets few opportunities early, but impresses. He gets more opportunity as the season progresses, but he eventually hits a wall (like all rookies do) and Pop reverts to benching him come playoff time.

...and then finally plays him and guy has an awesome game but it's too damn late as usual and we're all left wondering 'what if.'

analyzed
12-03-2011, 03:43 PM
This is stating the obvious : the spurs have given up on RJ. Yeah we might not use the amnesty on him this year but it's obvious he's not part of the equation either long term or this season.

Which puts the presure on Leonard , its not far fetch to say that unless he can someone put himsleft in the roolkie of the year conversation, we're not competing for west this year

Agloco
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Leonard should be a solid contributor by the end of the season provided Popovich doesn't try to play him out of position too much (read: as a small ball 4 or 5).

jjktkk
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Leonard should be a solid contributor by the end of the season provided Popovich doesn't try to play him out of position too much (read: as a small ball 4 or 5).

I would rather Leonard stick to playing the sf position, but Leonard possesses the skillset to play more of a small ball 4 than any other Spur currently on the roster.

The Truth #6
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to think of the last time Pop was stuck with an underacheiving, overpaid player whom he wasn't in love with...it's very curious what Pop will do with RJ.

I imagine the SF spot is still RJ's to lose and Leonard will be used as some sort of motivation to inspire/punish RJ as the season goes along. If this results in minutes for Leonard, then great, but I'm not expecting the position to be waiting for Leonard. I think Pop is exasperated with RJ, but he probably still respects him as a person and so will still give him some amount of respect and patience, even if the fanbase is scratching their collective head wondering why Leonard isn't playing more.

Also, Pop might not gel with Leonard because he's young and doesn't listen to NPR, or perhaps Pop will be weirded out by Leonard's haircut, or something else seemingly trivial about Leonard, and so he might not play because of that. Joking?

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Tony to this day has never been able to shoot the 3 at an amazing percentage. I think you're guessing the wrong player.

Pop replaced Antonio Daniels three games into the season with a 19 year old rookie, Tony Parker.

If he's done it once, what's not to say he won't do it again with Leonard and Jefferson.

That was pretty much pre-ordained when AJ left. And I'd be more inclined to agree with you if AD were the worst veteran that Pop allowed to get lots of minutes with a better young player behind him. The fact is, Pop did it way back then, and pretty much hasn't done it since. Manu did start right away despite having a bad wheel his rookie year but the Spurs didn't have any Keith Bogans or Matt Bonners in the starting lineup.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I would rather Leonard stick to playing the sf position, but Leonard possesses the skillset to play more of a small ball 4 than any other Spur currently on the roster.

I very much agree with this. If Pop's dream of having a small ball 4 is ever going to work, it'll be with a guy of Leonard's skillset. Smallball's never been a bad thing when used sparingly and strategically anyway. The problem becomes when Pop puts RJ on Amare with three seconds to go in a tie game.

therealtruth
12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Small ball is a last resort. It's for when you're down 20 and you've tried everything else. You don't want to rely on it because it's not defensively sound.

Bill_Brasky
12-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Spurs havent drafted this high since Duncan....it's easy to see why not many rookies see a lot of floor time.

JA got plenty of mins before the injury last year, so I expect Leonard will get his. They wouldn't trade Hill for a guy that they don't think can come in and immediately contribute.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Small ball is a last resort. It's for when you're down 20 and you've tried everything else. You don't want to rely on it because it's not defensively sound.

If only you were the coach.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2011, 01:33 AM
small ball we been trying to figure that shit out since 08....fck pop if his continue that shit

Tuddy
12-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Could see Leonard getting a lot of PT and a bit at the 4 - similar to how Marion backed up Dirk last year. I think the Splitter PT thing was a bit overstated. He played to the finals with Saski and also with the NT. Once he got injured in training camp Pop was probably worried about injuries from too much ball. I could see Splitter and Leonard averaging 25mpg this year which would probably push us pretty close to getting back to an elite defensive team. TBH we seem to have pretty much everything covered - just need another 5 to give TD plenty of rest during the regular season.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2011, 03:32 AM
getting desperate for a big, we should just sign any 7ft who can play

is yi jianlian available? at the right price of course could be a steal...

Obstructed_View
12-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Dasagna Diop should be Amnestied soon...

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't even like him, but Ajinca should be better than Diop or Yi

Tyrone Jenkins
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Trade TP, Blair and RJ for Kurt Hinrich, Josh Smith and a 1st rd draft pick.

Lineup for next year:

PG: Hinrich, Neal, Josheph
SG: Ginobili, Anderson, Butler
SF: Leonard, Butler, Green
PF: Smith, Splitter, Bonner (McDyess if he returns)
C: Duncan, Splitter, McDyess

DPG21920
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't see what ATL would do that at all.