PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Brotherhood wins 45% of seats Egypt's parliament

Huey Freeman
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Islamist parties are expected to control Cairo's parliament by the spring with the Muslim Brotherhood projected to be in the driver's seat.

Judges overseeing the vote count in Egypt's parliamentary elections say Islamist parties have won a majority of the contested seats in the first round. The judges spoke on condition of anonymity because official results are expected to be released later Thursday.

They say the Muslim Brotherhood could take 45 percent of the seats up for grabs. The liberal Egyptian bloc coalition and the ultra-fundamentalist Nour party are competing for second place.

Continued success by Islamists will allow them to give Cairo's government and constitution a decidedly Islamist character. It could also lead Cairo to shift away from the West towards the Iranian axis.

It will also diminish the influence of Cairo’s caretaker junta, which has sought to maintain the Mubarak-era status quo and keep US foreign aid dollars – running into the billions per annum – flowing.

Analysts say Islamists may also seek to annul the 1979 Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty, which could prompt Israel to seize the Sinai Peninsula for the fourth time in its history to create a strategic buffer zone.

After reaching the Suez Canal in 1967 and controlling the Sinai for twelve years,, Israel ceded Sinai to Egypt under the 1979 treaty on condition it remains demilitarized.

The Muslim Brotherhood, which birthed the virulently anti-Israel Hamas terror militia, might also seek to effectively annex Gaza. Should Hamas be triumphant in future PA elections, they would also gain a foothold in Judea and Samaria.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...1#.TtfuP7JNZIu (http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/150311#.TtfuP7JNZIu)

ChumpDumper
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
So they didn't actually win 45%.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
45% of the seats up for grabs ~14% overall if I understand correctly.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Between the Brotherhood and Salafi actually estimated to be closer to 65% with almost undeniable political control of Egypt assuming the army really steps down.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/world/middleeast/voting-in-egypt-shows-mandate-for-islamists.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

The Reckoning
12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Between the Brotherhood and Salafi actually estimated to be closer to 65% with almost undeniable political control of Egypt assuming the army really steps down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATHEWS-GENE...ht_3998wt_1165 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATHEWS-GENESIS-ORIGINAL-BOW-RH-PURPLE-NEW-/220901246848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336ebd8780#ht_3998wt_1165)

wtf does a barney bow have to do with this?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
wtf does a barney bow have to do with this?

LMAO..busted

I didn't get it down quick enough...accidentally pasted the wrong link...

The bow was for kids/ladies/newbies to use and play with at the ranch...I had emailed the link to myself...when I cut/pasted the NYT link it accidentally picked that one up...

Besides a long range rifle and short range pistol/plinking ranges I have an archery practice range at the ranch...

Halberto
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Been nice knowing you guys... except you mouse.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
:lol

Nice source, OP. Was www.scaredjewishpeople.com not writing a story on the subject?

ChumpDumper
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
They gotta start somewhere.

RandomGuy
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/world/middleeast/voting-in-egypt-shows-mandate-for-islamists.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

The party formed by the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s mainstream Islamist group, appeared to have taken about 40 percent of the vote, as expected. But a big surprise was the strong showing of ultraconservative Islamists, called Salafis, many of whom see most popular entertainment as sinful and reject women’s participation in voting or public life.

Analysts in the state-run news media said early returns indicated that Salafi groups could take as much as a quarter of the vote, giving the two groups of Islamists combined control of nearly 65 percent of the parliamentary seats

A fair analysis of why that is:

That victory came at the expense of the liberal parties and youth activists who set off the revolution, affirming their fears that they would be unable to compete with Islamists who emerged from the Mubarak years organized and with an established following. Poorly organized and internally divided, the liberal parties could not compete with Islamists disciplined by decades as the sole opposition to Mr. Mubarak. “We were washed out,” said Shady el-Ghazaly Harb, one of the most politically active of the group.

Although this week’s voting took place in only a third of Egypt’s provinces, they included some of the nation’s most liberal precincts — like Cairo, Port Said and the Red Sea coast — suggesting that the Islamist wave is likely to grow stronger as the voting moves into more conservative rural areas in the coming months. (Alexandria, a conservative stronghold, also has voted.)

The pendulum will swing to the liberal parties as they gain experience, *if* the new government allows them to keep existing.

Anyone who wants to understand what is going on in Egypt should read the full article. It goes into a good amount of comprehensive detail.

LnGrrrR
12-02-2011, 08:34 AM
You know, the US Congress is controlled by probably 90% Christianists, and yet we seem to have trouble doing anything.

cheguevara
12-02-2011, 09:49 AM
:lol mad at democracy in other countries

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
lol egyptians, hel;p them overthrow their own govt only to replace it with pro islamists ...this is epic fail from the west

boutons_deux
12-02-2011, 10:34 AM
It's Their Country

UCA has no problems with commerce with and in no-elections/no-free-press/authoritarian/nuclear-aimed-at-USA China.

How naive for anybody to think that UCA, and UCA-controlled US govt, GAS about democracy, even American democracy where UCA's vote$$$ count much more than Human-Americans' voting charade.

We'll see if the MIC can continue to sell $10Bs to keep rewarding Egypt for "peace" with Israel.

The Reckoning
12-02-2011, 09:00 PM
LMAO..busted

I didn't get it down quick enough...accidentally pasted the wrong link...

The bow was for kids/ladies/newbies to use and play with at the ranch...I had emailed the link to myself...when I cut/pasted the NYT link it accidentally picked that one up...

Besides a long range rifle and short range pistol/plinking ranges I have an archery practice range at the ranch...

mind if i and a few banditos make a trip out there?

Nbadan
12-02-2011, 10:17 PM
mind if i and a few banditos make a trip out there?

Ha...like to see the answer for that

and :lol at the wing-nuts tooting their horns because people with fringe beliefs won over moderation because they were more organized and pissed...

TeyshaBlue
12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Ha...like to see the answer for that

and :lol at the wing-nuts tooting their horns because people with fringe beliefs won over moderation because they were more organized and pissed...

But you said that wasnt going to happen.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179703
Lol @ wingnuts (whoever the fuck they are) handing your ass to you.:lol

Nbadan
12-03-2011, 01:07 AM
But you said that wasnt going to happen.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179703
Lol @ wingnuts (whoever the fuck they are) handing your ass to you.:lol

They are a political party now that won some seats, but they hardly control the new Egyptian government....and as more liberal parties flourish in Egypt these groups will be just as ideologically isolated as wing-nuts.....

When the heads start rolling...we'll talk

FAIL

ChumpDumper
12-03-2011, 01:12 AM
They are a political party now that won some seats, but they hardly control the new Egyptian government....and as more liberal parties flourish in Egypt these groups will be just as ideologically isolated as wing-nuts.....

When the heads start rolling...we'll talk

FAILWho do you say controls the new government?

Nbadan
12-03-2011, 02:05 AM
the military for now...These elections never would have happened without getting rid of Mubarak...but the Muslim brother-hood isn't even the Muslim brotherhood that scaremongers like Teysha say they are....they, like Hamas have learned from experience and they know that they need support of secularists to run Egypt ...what it won't be is another Zein al-Abidin Ben Al.....These Islamist groups need to reach political power, taste it, love it, get attached to it, become corrupted by it, fight to hold on to it, and eventually, get overthrown because of it - perhaps when another Arab Spring breaks out, 50-years from now. That Arab Spring, no doubt, would be through the ballots unlike this one which came through the street. Future goverments that lose a popular mandate will not be allowed to stay in power after their political legitimacy expires. The forum chickenhawks are lying...

TeyshaBlue
12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Lol @ scaremonger.
Get over yourself, junior.