PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joes coming to San Antonio...

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I was in Scottsdale last weekend and the guys at the store verified it...they have already gotten internal memos that they are expanding to Texas...( Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin)

Thats freaking awesome...I love that store...great (good!) food deals and you can't beat their 3 buck Chuck wine for value and still decent taste...I'm a semi wine snob and I would put Charlie up against a lot of 10-15 dollar table wines I've had...

Drachen
12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
They will survive in Austin, they won't make it more than 2 years in san antonio.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes!

Buddy Holly
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
They will survive in Austin, they won't make it more than 2 years in san antonio.

Stupid prediction is stupid.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Still not as stupid as saying San Antonio can get and support an NFL team :lmao

ChumpDumper
12-01-2011, 08:54 PM
If they put them in the right places, it will be fine in San Antonio.

CuckingFunt
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Lucky bastards. I miss TJ's.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Why do you say that? HEB is fiercely protective of their turf.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
If they put them in the right places, it will be fine in San Antonio.

Oh HELL yeah. I could see the Quarry and the Rim. Trader Joes rocks.

Bender
12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
CC never struck me as a wine connoisseur

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

TJ's is a niche market but they do it really well. If HEB wants to play/compete in that niche I'm all for that too. I know they sure keep WalMart honest. San Antonio has the cheapest WM prices on groceries of anywhere in the US.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

I confess my knowledge/interest only extends to the reds...Cabs, Shiraz's. Pinot's, Malbec's, hearty Italian reds, etc. The whites really don't interest me.

leemajors
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
They would kill in Austin.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM

You must have missed it, but he is growing his own grapes to make wine.

Oh HELL yeah. I could see the Quarry and the Rim. Trader Joes rocks.

Probably not Quarry with its proximity to Central Market. Maybe the RIM. Also Downtown (no HEB around there) and lastly S. Alamo (for all the reasons I listed in the "Starting a business" thread), but I still think they would last a short time.

I confess my knowledge/interest only extends to the reds...Cabs, Shiraz's. Pinot's, Malbec's, hearty Italian reds, etc. The whites really don't interest me.

On the nose for me. I started drinking nothing but whites and thought red was disgusting. Then I tried Coppola Merlot about 8 years ago and switched pretty much overnight. I really only drink white when it is all that is available.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
BTW I am not saying that its a good or bad thing that they fail. The only thing I know about TJ is that everyone who has brought them up to me tell me that they ROCK! I am just looking at SA's history

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 09:22 PM
BTW I am not saying that its a good or bad thing that they fail. The only thing I know about TJ is that everyone who has brought them up to me tell me that they ROCK! I am just looking at SA's history

IMHO they fill a niche that HEB hasn't really successfully tackled yet. Economy house brand organic stuff, interesting dried fruit/nut mixes...house brand frozen stuff...I know that HEB has their organics line but TJ's just doesn't seem to hit that premium price point like HEB does when they get out of basic groceries.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
IMHO they fill a niche that HEB hasn't really successfully tackled yet. Economy house brand organic stuff, interesting dried fruit/nut mixes...house brand frozen stuff...I know that HEB has their organics line but TJ's just doesn't seem to hit that premium price point like HEB does when they get out of basic groceries.

Ah, so what you are saying is that the "Central Market" brand may come down in price? :lol

4>0rings
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM

He's growing his own damn vineyard to make wine...

and HEB will lay the smack down on TJ's. No one puts baby in the corner....

ChumpDumper
12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Have you guys actually been to TJs?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I really think that HEB will be willing to concede that little niche to TJ's. They go for smaller stores in relatively cheaper real estate and just concentrate on doing a few things right.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Have you guys actually been to TJs?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
And Trader Joes has Three Buck Chuck.

Thats worth a trip right there.

Drachen
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
It's still not showing on their "coming soon" stores section.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
For those that don't know three buck chuck...

http://www.wellesleywinepress.com/2009/05/charles-shaw-blind-tasting-or-are-we.html

As I sit here nibbling on dried chile spiced mangos from TJ's...

bring it on, TJ's...

silverblk mystix
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
It will be nice to have a Trader Joe's in Austin...although Sprouts has been here for a little while and they have a lot of the same things that Trader Joes has...

FYI...I tried a bottle of the Layer Cake Wine (Shiraz)...after reading some glowing reviews that claimed it was as good as hundred dollar bottles....so I gave it a shot (10.99 a bottle at Twin Lickers...err Liquors...)

It was really good and it will definitely be on the holiday wine list...and I am no cork sniffer but I thought it was so good it was actually...an experience...

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
It will be nice to have a Trader Joe's in Austin...although Sprouts has been here for a little while and they have a lot of the same things that Trader Joes has...

FYI...I tried a bottle of the Layer Cake Wine (Shiraz)...after reading some glowing reviews that claimed it was as good as hundred dollar bottles....so I gave it a shot (10.99 a bottle at Twin Lickers...err Liquors...)

It was really good and it will definitely be on the holiday wine list...and I am no cork sniffer but I thought it was so good it was actually...an experience...

Hmmm...Sprouts just took over Sun Harvest on Callaghan and I10 a couple of months ago and I really don't see much change yet...IMHO it's not even close to TJ's.

As for wine I've really been enjoying some $10-$15 dollar Argentine Malbecs lately. I confess that the friends we were visiting last weekend in Scottsdale had an amazing cellar. We blasted multiple bottles of amazing wine that were insanely expensive.

silverblk mystix
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Hmmm...Sprouts just took over Sun Harvest on Callaghan and I10 a couple of months ago and I really don't see much change yet...IMHO it's not even close to TJ's.

As for wine I've really been enjoying some $10-$15 dollar Argentine Malbecs lately. I confess that the friends we were visiting last weekend in Scottsdale had an amazing cellar. We blasted multiple bottles of amazing wine that were insanely expensive.

Yeah...I'm not saying Sprouts is as good...but they do have a lot of stuff that Trader Joes carries... a lot of healthyish foods, niche brands, semi-fresh sushi, nuts, wines,etc...

Google the Layer Cake wines...they are priced low and are quality to boot.

DMX7
12-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I've never been to TJs, but I don't think it really competes with H-E-B directly on most things.

mrsmaalox
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I liked the TJ in Olympia, WA (but I have to say ALL the grocery stores up there are top notch), but relocating to Maryland was a surprise when I found TJ doesn't sell alcohol there.

TJ is nice, but I like the big HEBs, Central Market and Whole Foods too, so it won't be adding any great dimension to my shopping, just a change of scenery ;)

silverblk mystix
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I've never been to TJs, but I don't think it really competes with H-E-B directly on most things.

Of course not...but it is not meant to...it is a small niche store with some stuff that you won't find elsewhere...and it is not trying to be a mega we-carry-everything store.

Sportcamper
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
TJ’s does not try to compete with Super Markets…They specialize on unique items not found in the big stores…I make a TJ’s run about every three weeks. Hot sauce, spicy mustards, organic honey, rice milk, frozen oatmeal, Lamb Vindaloo, Chicken Marsala and of course Napoleon Brandy & Irish Whiskey…IMO the TJ’s Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce is the best hot sauce there is…They also bag your groceries in these heavy duty paper bags that can be reused over & over…

I also like how the people who shop there act like they are saving the planet by buying TJ’s organic items…:lol

lefty
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
lol fat people

Sportcamper
12-02-2011, 11:01 AM
lol fat people

Not in Toluca Lake CA…That place is a Super Model Meat Market…

lefty
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Not in Toluca Lake CA…That place is a Super Model Meat Market…
Im going there right now :D

PuttPutt
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Of course not...but it is not meant to...it is a small niche store with some stuff that you won't find elsewhere...and it is not trying to be a mega we-carry-everything store.

They are competition (direct or indirect). Any grocer, big or small, that opens in another grocer's market is a threat to business. They may not carry everything that other stores have, or even have the size of the "common" grocery store. Trader Joe's does sell some of the same items as others. I know for a fact that the grocers in TX are fully aware of the possibility of TJ's opening. Not to mention the expansion of Aldi's outside of the Dallas market.

clambake
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
what you need is a gelsons.

PuttPutt
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
what you need is a gelsons.

Those are nice stores.

Trill Clinton
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Well its about fuckin' time

Buddy Holly
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Too completely different demographic targets. One is a large supermarket chain the other a small niche chain.

tlongII
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Trader Joe's is good. I like their frozen quick meal items personally. Kung Pao chicken and Kung Pao shrimp is pretty good.

Nathan Explosion
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Too completely different demographic targets. One is a large supermarket chain the other a small niche chain.

As an employee of HEB, I can tell you that while you and others may see it as different target markets, HEB doesn't see that one bit. If you're a grocer and you open in an HEB market, big small, niche or big box, you're the competition. For example, here are some chains and franchises that HEB views as competition: Walmart, Best Buy, Babies R Us, Wing Stop, etc.

If HEB sells something that your store sells, you're competition. I've actually known a store director that got fired because he owned a franchise wing place, and since HEB sells wings, it was a conflict of interest. The guy was a dick, so I wasn't crying a river for him, but yeah.

I recently transferred to the Boerne Plus (before the grand opening) and I can tell you that while I may not be the happiest with the direction the company is taking, I can attest that HEB learns from every new store opening on what they do right and what they do wrong. And lately, they're doing more right than wrong. This store is great. It has so much variety from national brand to niche in every product a grocer can carry, and while I have questioned certain decisions on products that we carry, in a few months when there is some hard financial data, HQ will make adjustments to our inventory and introduce products that are being asked for. Customers tell us what we want, we tell our managers, and it makes its way up the chain.

Trader Joe's also will have one HUGE hurdle that every other grocer (big or small) has in the HEB market, the community. HEB does very well to integrate itself into the surrounding community, even letting the residents help with the design (see the Deco district HEB in SA or the Montrose Market in Houston). One thing that is very effective is that when the customers refer to a store, they say, "The store near my house..." But when customers talk about HEB, they say, "My HEB..."

That in itself is a major advantage for HEB.

I know I sound like a major HEB fanboy, but that's far from the truth. I nearly got myself fired because I just hated my job so much and what the company was becoming. I transfered to a store 30 miles away from my old store, in a community I have never lived in just to start over. But I do know this, in 9 years of employment, HEB has grown massively both in store and retail knowledge. Our Texas company was National Retailer of the Year last year. That's a formidable opponent.

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
As an employee of HEB, I can tell you that while you and others may see it as different target markets, HEB doesn't see that one bit. If you're a grocer and you open in an HEB market, big small, niche or big box, you're the competition. For example, here are some chains and franchises that HEB views as competition: Walmart, Best Buy, Babies R Us, Wing Stop, etc.

If HEB sells something that your store sells, you're competition. I've actually known a store director that got fired because he owned a franchise wing place, and since HEB sells wings, it was a conflict of interest. The guy was a dick, so I wasn't crying a river for him, but yeah.

I recently transferred to the Boerne Plus (before the grand opening) and I can tell you that while I may not be the happiest with the direction the company is taking, I can attest that HEB learns from every new store opening on what they do right and what they do wrong. And lately, they're doing more right than wrong. This store is great. It has so much variety from national brand to niche in every product a grocer can carry, and while I have questioned certain decisions on products that we carry, in a few months when there is some hard financial data, HQ will make adjustments to our inventory and introduce products that are being asked for. Customers tell us what we want, we tell our managers, and it makes its way up the chain.

Trader Joe's also will have one HUGE hurdle that every other grocer (big or small) has in the HEB market, the community. HEB does very well to integrate itself into the surrounding community, even letting the residents help with the design (see the Deco district HEB in SA or the Montrose Market in Houston). One thing that is very effective is that when the customers refer to a store, they say, "The store near my house..." But when customers talk about HEB, they say, "My HEB..."

I know I sound like a major HEB fanboy, but that's far from the truth. I nearly got myself fired because I just hated my job so much and what the company was becoming. I transfered to a store 30 miles away from my old store, in a community I have never lived in just to start over. But I do know this, in 9 years of employment, HEB has grown massively both in store and retail knowledge. Our Texas company was National Retailer of the Year last year. That's a formidable opponent.

If HEB wants to duplicate TJ's formula at a cheaper price then I'm all for it. I'll buy "Three Buck Butt" Cabs and Merlots if it tastes good...:lol

Cheeto
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM

You are 100% correct about the competition. You should also know that someone in the corporate level of HEB has read this thread & every other thread they've been mentioned in. Anything posted online about any major retailers is read by someone in the company/corporation.

Sportcamper
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
When SOME of you talk about HEB it’s like you are talking about a religious experience… Most communities in the United States have an Albertsons, Ralph’s, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Gelsons, Smart & Final & Vallarta markets…It is called choice…San Antonio has HEB & Whataburger…

ALL OTHERS KEEP OUT!

JoeChalupa
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I love my HEB. Albertson's way way over priced. Never heard of TJ's.

Bender
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Albertson's way way over priced.
when Albertsons was in S.A., they were overpriced for sure...

I remember complaining to Albertsons managers several times that certain items they sold were way more expensive than buying the same thing at convenience stores...

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
You are 100% correct about the competition. You should also know that someone in the corporate level of HEB has read this thread & every other thread they've been mentioned in. Anything posted online about any major retailers is read by someone in the company/corporation.

Oops. My apologies Mr. Butt...:lol

Sportcamper
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I love my HEB. Albertson's way way over priced. Never heard of TJ's.

Well Joe you might just have to step out of your comfort zone & try Trader Joes…Wear a disguise if you are afraid that Big Brother HEB might be watching…:lol

The TJ stores are tiny in comparison to Super Markets…But there is always a Hottie serving free coffee & treats…They have Trader Joe items like maple cereal, coffee, chili, soups, frozen foods that are awesome….They have great snacks like European chocolates, dried fruits, chocolate covered Macadamia nuts…They have a great variety of liquors from all over the world…I once purchased a Chianti that was about 27 % proof…(Gave me a terrible headache)…

Its not like a Trader Joe’s is going to try & undercut HEB on Lone Star Beer, Yuban Coffee, Velveeta cheese & Wonder bread….The TJ stores are pretty cool….

JoeChalupa
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Well Joe you might just have to step out of your comfort zone & try Trader Joes…Wear a disguise if you are afraid that Big Brother HEB might be watching…:lol

The TJ stores are tiny in comparison to Super Markets…But there is always a Hottie serving free coffee & treats…They have Trader Joe items like maple cereal, coffee, chili, soups, frozen foods that are awesome….They have great snacks like European chocolates, dried fruits, chocolate covered Macadamia nuts…They have a great variety of liquors from all over the world…I once purchased a Chianti that was about 27 % proof…(Gave me a terrible headache)…

Its not like a Trader Joe’s is going to try & undercut HEB on Lone Star Beer, Yuban Coffee, Velveeta cheese & Wonder bread….The TJ stores are pretty cool….

Ah, so it is for a unique clientel. I don't eat fancy Euro treats or coffee and I dont drink much wine. My HEB suits my needs but I would go for grand opening specials and to walk around and sample the freebies.

Sportcamper
12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Joe- I am pretty sure you will go to look at the Hotties…And while you are there you can save the planet by purchasing organic soap, natural tooth paste, free range eggs and wild honey…BTW Trader Joes does not carry or sell plastic bags…Plastic bags are just plain evil…

MannyIsGod
12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I have one right down the street. Its OK. Hard to go do regular shopping there. Its - as has been said - a niche thing.

baseline bum
12-02-2011, 05:37 PM
HEB does very well to integrate itself into the surrounding community, even letting the residents help with the design (see the Deco district HEB in SA or the Montrose Market in Houston).

Wow, do they have 30 foot murals of guys sucking each other off on the walls?

JoeChalupa
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Joe- I am pretty sure you will go to look at the Hotties…And while you are there you can save the planet by purchasing organic soap, natural tooth paste, free range eggs and wild honey…BTW Trader Joes does not carry or sell plastic bags…Plastic bags are just plain evil…

Meh, I watched a special awhile back and the "organic" stuff was not really any better it just cost more. So then I need to take my own HEB plastic bags? No worries, we do carry our own green grocery bags around. I see plenty of hotties at HEB all the time. I make my own caldo too.

baseline bum
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Is Trader Joe's a good place for buying chiles? All I have seen at HEB is jalapeno, serrano, habanero, guajillo, ancho, and pasilla.

Giuseppe
12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Trader Joe's has a fat free caramel popcorn that will absolutely blow your fuckin' shorts off.

$1.49 for a pretty good sized bag.

4>0rings
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Trader Joe's has a fat free caramel popcorn that will absolutely blow your fuckin' shorts off.

$1.49 for a pretty good sized bag.

Bend over, I'll give ya fat free caramel!

Nathan Explosion
12-02-2011, 11:51 PM
If HEB wants to duplicate TJ's formula at a cheaper price then I'm all for it. I'll buy "Three Buck Butt" Cabs and Merlots if it tastes good...:lol

They have a red wine called Jam Jar. And HEB does have wineries that they own in France if I recall correctly. HEB has their hands in more things than the average customer knows. That sounds kind of ominous, but it actually isn't. It just means that HEB is creating far more self branded items than people even know about. Hell, HEB makes more profit on land than they do in the grocery business. Little known fact by most people, HEB owns most of the property that their stores are on, which means that all the other businesses in the shopping center pay rent to HEB.

Nathan Explosion
12-03-2011, 12:02 AM

So they're going to be targeting the demographic served by Central Market then? Still HEB, so yeah, competitor. Plus, a lot of the stores are expanding the organic sections. A lot of the newer stores have Healthy Living sections with handmade soaps, organic products and alternative health meds in addition to the organic sections that are being expanded. My store has a wine steward on hand in addition to two full aisles dedicated to wine.

Also, you can't sell liquor in a supermarket in Texas. Not an HEB thing, a Texas thing. Walmarts outside of Texas have liquor from what I hear.

When SOME of you talk about HEB it’s like you are talking about a religious experience… Most communities in the United States have an Albertsons, Ralph’s, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Gelsons, Smart & Final & Vallarta markets…It is called choice…San Antonio has HEB & Whataburger…

ALL OTHERS KEEP OUT!

It's not that it's a religious experience, it's just that Albertsons and Krogers bailed on the market because of HEB. Other stores have to find gaps in the market shares just to survive (La Fiesta, Handy Andy [almost non existent now], Sprouts, etc.).

Them's the facts is all. Any grocer coming in has to worry about HEB as they have dominated the market, and are the only large retail supermarket chain that goes dollar for dollar with Walmart. Everyone else is more expensive than Walmart. If you found out how little HEB makes on each dollar, you'd wonder how the chain has survived for over 106 years now, but they make money in other ways.

Again, catering to the market goes a long way, and HEB has expanded while still maintaining that feeling of ownership by the customer. You've all heard the phrase "Your friendly (insert neighborhood name here) HEB".

MannyIsGod
12-03-2011, 12:09 AM
HEB pretty much blows. The Albertsons and Smiths in my area aren't much better, though. Whole Foods is way better, but there's a reason its got the nickname Whole Paycheck. I do like Trader Joes. I should probably go more often.

Nathan Explosion
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
HEB pretty much blows. The Albertsons and Smiths in my area aren't much better, though. Whole Foods is way better, but there's a reason its got the nickname Whole Paycheck. I do like Trader Joes. I should probably go more often.

I've never been to a Trader Joe's, so I don't have an opinion on it. The store I work in is pretty damn nice as it has a large variety of everything, from national brand to niche brand items as well as an electronics department (and Texas outdoor coming in a few months for when I get a house).

Every now and then I'll go to Sprouts (Sun Harvest whatever) or a meat market if I want to barbecue. I actually like Sprouts. Wouldn't do a Whole Foods though.

baseline bum
12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Whole Foods? Every time I go to that place I figure I might as well just go eat out for the price.

phxspurfan
12-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Whole Foods? Every time I go to that place I figure I might as well just go eat out for the price.

This. More than a few times I filled a box of deli food and paid more than $15 for it each time.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Trader's Joe landed here in NJ about 6 months ago. Went there for the opening and maybe one other time, but nothing to write home about, tbh... prices were about the same as any other place, if not more expensive on certain items.

JoeChalupa
12-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Exactly. My HEB has everything I need, I know where it is at and I get in and out with no problems. It has a deli and coffee area. What more do I need?

leemajors
12-03-2011, 10:34 AM

You can catch good produce and meat/poultry/fish deals if you check out specials weekly. Their bulk dept and everything else is pretty inflated though. Reasonable growler fill prices as well at the downtown one in Austin - $12 I believe.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I could give two shits about an electronics dept in a fucking grocery store.

DMX7
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM

I've only seen one HEB with that and no one was in that department.

Das Texan
12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I liked that Trader Joes had Heirloom tomatoes for cheap. That made me very happy.

fraga
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I've only seen one HEB with that and no one was in that department.

Pretty much every H-E-B plus has one...

baseline bum
12-03-2011, 03:20 PM

:lol

Nathan Explosion
12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Went to Sprouts today because I didn't feel like dragging my kids to HEB as they were being pains and figured I could get everything from Sprouts and it's closer to my place.

I will say this, I like their produce better than HEB and it's usually cheaper. The market is about the same in cost, but their dry groceries are more expensive, even for the basic non organic stuff.

If Trader Joe's is like this, and is close by, I could see myself making trips every now and then. If I was just going for produce, I'd visit Sprouts more often. Usually I need stuff that they don't carry though, in addition to grocery and produce items.

And sometimes I shop at my store when I get out of work, since I'm already in a store.

Nathan Explosion
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Really is no different than Walmart or Target. If you hate Walmart, then whatever, so be it. But some of our customers felt a little weird about the department for the first week, but that didn't stop hundreds from lining up outside the store waiting for it to open at 4 a.m. and then literally running to the electronics department to snag TVs, iPads, tablets, phones and game consoles.

Plus, the electronics department at my store always has people there.

englishspursfan
12-05-2011, 11:38 PM
top 3 best buys from there

1,chicken tikka massala
2, orangeboom beer (a dollar for a tall dutch beer !!!)
3,most of the chocolate

love the place ..fuck henrys

baseline bum
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Really is no different than Walmart or Target. If you hate Walmart, then whatever, so be it. But some of our customers felt a little weird about the department for the first week, but that didn't stop hundreds from lining up outside the store waiting for it to open at 4 a.m. and then literally running to the electronics department to snag TVs, iPads, tablets, phones and game consoles.

Plus, the electronics department at my store always has people there.

You guys should put a whorehouse in the store too. You can have people lining up at 4am every night.

scott
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
It's been well known for awhile they were coming to Austin & Houston. I coincidently talked to an employ of the Company today (In Seattle) who said those were the only two TX stores with a green light.

Not saying they aren't coming, just saying I don't think they are (right now)

Nathan Explosion
12-06-2011, 09:08 AM
You guys should put a whorehouse in the store too. You can have people lining up at 4am every night.

Go to the one on Wurzbach and I-10 around 3 am and you get a good mix or people, from sleep deprived new parents, to college students, to doctors and nurses stopping off on their way home to strippers just leaving work.

Don't always run into them, but it does happen occasionally.

mrsmaalox
12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't give a shit about electronics at a grocery store either, or clothes or furniture for that matter; but when I lived up in the Northwest, man, that Fred Meyer chain really has that one-stop shopping situation fine tuned. I was always surprised how many non-grocery items I'd buy from them. Of course it was a period in my life that I hauled around 3 preschoolers everywhere I went and sometimes just one more stop could have pushed me over the edge :lol

And as far as HEB goes, I've never gone there for electronics. BUT...no way can I pass up those clearance bins with phone and music or video accessories----easily tacks on an additional $10-$20 to my weekly grocery bill! That's pretty smart of them I think ;)

CosmicCowboy
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Go to the one on Wurzbach and I-10 around 3 am and you get a good mix or people, from sleep deprived new parents, to college students, to doctors and nurses stopping off on their way home to strippers just leaving work.

Don't always run into them, but it does happen occasionally.

You forgot all the Indians from USAA...they shop there too...

boutons_deux
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM

But HEB's upmarket stuff like Central Market and their newer stores obviously spread into niche areas. Central Market in Alamo Heights is an amazing store.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Is Trader Joe's a good place for buying chiles? All I have seen at HEB is jalapeno, serrano, habanero, guajillo, ancho, and pasilla.

Damn, Mr. Bayless. What other chiles are you looking for?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Central Market in Alamo Heights is an amazing store.
'Tis. And I thought that was the only one.

IronMaxipad
12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Trader Joe's is the shit sons.

http://i.imgur.com/T9ndm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OeLztl.jpg

:tu

CosmicCowboy
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I stocked up on the Chile Spiced Mango's when I was in Scottsdale...still have a couple of packs left....those are the shiznit...

Sportcamper
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjTxx810no8uAyl-s9gjGuBayXVAVbu6tmzj8FLFMzvULqc65fDg

Drachen
03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
They are setting up shop at the alamo quarry.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Trader-Joe-s-coming-to-Quarry-Village-3421662.php

fraga
03-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow...directly taking on Whole Foods...ballsy...

ploto
03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I am too busy to drive to the Quarry to go to a niche shop. One stop shopping 2 miles from my house once a week for me.

baseline bum
03-20-2012, 10:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OeLztl.jpg

A fresh mango, ancho powder, and lime juice is great shit. Great dry too like in the pic too.

JudynTX
03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Is this the store chain that sells the $2 wine bottles? :D

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Is this the store chain that sells the $2 wine bottles? :D

It's $2 in California but it will probably be $3 here.

JudynTX
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
It's $2 in California but it will probably be $3 here.

Is it good wine?

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2012, 08:15 AM
It's actually drinkable. At $3.99 it's a great value. They do a Cab, a Merlot, and a Chardonnay.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Is it good wine?

Its $3, Judy

mrsmaalox
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Its $3, Judy

Well by "good", I think she just means if it will get her drunk! :tu

JudynTX
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Its $3, Judy

Well by "good", I think she just means if it will get her drunk! :tu

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Well, it is wine.........

JudynTX
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Ok, it's open. Who's going to get the wine & cheese?

Trill Clinton
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
i saw the grand opening on the news this morning.

i'm interested in this spread called cookie butter.

The Gemini Method
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Hope you guys enjoy the Trader Joe's experience out there in SA--it's a great store. We've been the hub for them and that they have some of the greatest snacks for cheap one can find. Not to meantion that their mix-n-match beer selections are awesome at times as well.

Good 'N Plenty
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I heard the battle is on with HEB. I may check it out later after the hype but I support my local HEB.

CosmicCowboy
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I heard the battle is on with HEB. I may check it out later after the hype but I support my local HEB.

Totally different kind of store. Botique vs. mass market. However, I did notice that HEB came out with it's competitor to three buck chuck with the Cul de Sac brand wine at the same price, which BTW the merlot isn't all that bad for a cheap buzz.

Good 'N Plenty
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Totally different kind of store. Botique vs. mass market. However, I did notice that HEB came out with it's competitor to three buck chuck with the Cul de Sac brand wine at the same price, which BTWthe merlot isn't all that bad for a cheap buzz.

Ah, now I know why they Cul de Sac wine was in the add. I said WTF!?

CubanMustGo
11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I dunno. Last time we were in MD we visited a Trader Joes and weren't all that excited about the experience.

PuttPutt
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
It's just a store to get specialty Trader Joe stuff at. If you want better produce & a selection on stuff, you need to go to a regular grocery store. I could never shop there for everything.

marini martini
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Totally different kind of store. Botique vs. mass market. However, I did notice that HEB came out with it's competitor to three buck chuck with the Cul de Sac brand wine at the same price, which BTW the merlot isn't all that bad for a cheap buzz.

Been drinking Cul-de-sac for months now! Smaller bottle, but it's a good cheap buzz!:toast

Buddy Holly
11-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Word is, TJ is going to open a store in Southtown, the ACE building, as well as three other stores in SA.

Capt Bringdown
11-03-2012, 03:02 AM

3 Buck Chuck is a marketing gimmick IMO. You can find a variety of as good, if not better boxed wine already at HEB or other stores.

mrsmaalox
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I've been to TJ many times in other cities, so I'm fine waiting a month or so for the crowds to thin out; I heard it was absolutely insane out there this weekend!