PDA

View Full Version : Spurs officially in transition stage.

analyzed
12-02-2011, 06:16 AM
The window for a title probably has been closed for some time now. But this is the first season were the conversation has gone from " do we still have another run" to how do we start rebuilding. No longer are we looking to putting pieces around Duncan to have a shot, rather the focus has been how do we rebuild knowing timmy is going.

Where so out of it. (title run) that even if we got the best free agent out there. (nene , chandler etc) we still won't be considered title prospects. It's gotten to the point that if Nene joined us he won't just be Duncan sidekick but our best frontline player.

Seriously i think it will take a couple of years before we can rebuild to being contenders again. and that might not even happen unless we get really luck agian in the draft and find a franchise player .

Oh how blessed we have been this past 12 years.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Spurs will be better this season than expected by most experts (as always), but cannot go deep into the playoffs. They might with a guy like Nene, but such a player acquisition is not gonna happen. Thats why many people here including me are just looking forward to enjoy watching a bit of Manu and Timmy riding into the sunset plus a heavy dose of Splitter, Anderson, Leonard and Neal :-)

benefactor
12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Short of hitting another homerun in the draft, Spur fan probably needs to prepare themselves for a long time being out of contention. I think they will remain a fixture in the playoffs as they have only missed them a handful of times in their 44 year existance, but I don't see them as contenders again for quite some time.

Spur fan really needs to keep things in perspective moving forward. Life has been really, really good to you. Beyond the 4 titles and 50 win streak, most of you are probably too young to remember the Spurs actually missing the playoffs and I'm betting only a select few remember it happening twice. Missing the playoffs twice in the past 21 seasons is a ton of success...especially when you consider a team like the Nets who have been around just as long as the Spurs and have only made the playoffs 10 times over that same 21 year span. You could also be Hawks fan...who only a few seasons ago was at the end of watching their team go 8 straight seasons without a post season appearance.

Whatever the future brings, hold your head up and be thankful. I know I am.

Darkwaters
12-02-2011, 07:35 AM
The best prospect on the market is Dwight Howard. If we got him I think we'd definitely be contenders in everyone's eyes since hes exactly what we need.

Too bad we won't get him.

dbestpro
12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Here's a game of what if.

What if Duncan reworks his contract to try and recapitalize some of the lost revenue this season, with a few extra guaranteed years, and at the same time allows us to drop below tax threshold enough to sign a nice free agent. Is it feasible?

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's a game of what if.

What if Duncan reworks his contract to try and recapitalize some of the lost revenue this season, with a few extra guaranteed years, and at the same time allows us to drop below tax threshold enough to sign a nice free agent. Is it feasible?

Not allowed under previous CBA. No mention of any change to those rules in the draft agreement.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Duncan should retire after this season ... I am more convinced of thatafter I read that his knee is "bone on bone". Then use the amnesty rule on RJ next year and the Spurs would have a "little" room under the cap to acquire a decent player. With the young players in the team I do not think its necessary to blow everything up or tank a season to get a high draft pick. Spurs won't be contenders, but not a bad team either.

ChuckD
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
We've proven that you can't truly re-build on the fly, you can only re-tool. There's only one way to really do it, and it doesn't involve FAs, and it only peripherally involves trades: blow it up and build through the draft. You have to be really bad for 2-3 years, draft well, and use your cap space to facilitate trades that bring additional young players/picks for short term contracts that teams are trying to offload to avoid the tax. Look about 8hrs north on I35 to OKC for your template.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
We've proven that you can't truly re-build on the fly, you can only re-tool. There's only one way to really do it, and it doesn't involve FAs, and it only peripherally involves trades: blow it up and build through the draft. You have to be really bad for 2-3 years, draft well, and use your cap space to facilitate trades that bring additional young players/picks for short term contracts that teams are trying to offload to avoid the tax. Look about 8hrs north on I35 to OKC for your template.

Not sure OKC are a great example of a team drafting well ( given the picks they had and the draft classes they've picked from ), but otherwise agree fully.

I think the big 3 will ride into the sunset together for a couple more years before the Spurs start fully implementing the plan you're talking about. Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy watching them, don't care about wins or losses at all, tbh.

ChuckD
12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Duncan should retire after this season ... I am more convinced of thatafter I read that his knee is "bone on bone". Then use the amnesty rule on RJ next year and the Spurs would have a "little" room under the cap to acquire a decent player. With the young players in the team I do not think its necessary to blow everything up or tank a season to get a high draft pick. Spurs won't be contenders, but not a bad team either.

The only place I've heard the "bone on bone" comment was Shaq, so pardon my skepticism, but that's a pretty shaky source. If Tim does leave, though, you can't "fix" that with a middling FA signing. You have to blow it up, because Manu will be out the door a year later.

ChuckD
12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Not sure OKC are a great example of a team drafting well ( given the picks they had and the draft classes they've picked from ), but otherwise agree fully.

I think the big 3 will ride into the sunset together for a couple more years before the Spurs start fully implementing the plan you're talking about. Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy watching them, don't care about wins or losses at all, tbh.

Just curious, but who would you have drafted if you were OKC? I think they've done pretty damn well. I wasn't ONLY talking about their draft, though. They got players like Eric Maynor and DaQuan Cook for FREE as luxury tax evasion casualties from other teams.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I know Shaq is not the best source for that, but I am willing to accept that Tims knee is that kind of bad. I do not want to see him hobbling through more seasons after this one.

And I am just not a fan of blowing the team up ... we will see which way the Spurs go after Timmy and Manu are gone.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Just curious, but who would you have drafted if you were OKC? I think they've done pretty damn well.

Easy to say with hindsight, obviously, but since you're asking - Kevin love above Westbrook and either Steph Curry or Tyreke Evans above Harden.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
How quickly we forget that the Spurs had the best record in the league last season going into the final week.

How quickly we forget that they had a major injury to their best player in the last game.

How quickly we forget that the best player for the Spurs in the playoffs sat on the bench most of the season because the coach wouldn't put him in the rotation.

The Spurs have every chance of being better than they were last year, which means they can contend. There were no overwhelmingly great teams last season, and it doesn't look like there will be this season. Once the superstars all converge in LA, Miami and New York, yeah then the window will be closed.

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Short of hitting another homerun in the draft, Spur fan probably needs to prepare themselves for a long time being out of contention. I think they will remain a fixture in the playoffs as they have only missed them a handful of times in their 44 year existance, but I don't see them as contenders again for quite some time.

Spur fan really needs to keep things in perspective moving forward. Life has been really, really good to you. Beyond the 4 titles and 50 win streak, most of you are probably too young to remember the Spurs actually missing the playoffs and I'm betting only a select few remember it happening twice. Missing the playoffs twice in the past 21 seasons is a ton of success...especially when you consider a team like the Nets who have been around just as long as the Spurs and have only made the playoffs 10 times over that same 21 year span. You could also be Hawks fan...who only a few seasons ago was at the end of watching their team go 8 straight seasons without a post season appearance.

Amen!

dbestpro
12-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Not allowed under previous CBA. No mention of any change to those rules in the draft agreement.

It's the same concept as the Jefferson contract.

DMC
12-02-2011, 09:47 AM
How quickly we forget that the Spurs had the best record in the league last season going into the final week.

How quickly we forget that they had a major injury to their best player in the last game.

How quickly we forget that the best player for the Spurs in the playoffs sat on the bench most of the season because the coach wouldn't put him in the rotation.

The Spurs have every chance of being better than they were last year, which means they can contend. There were no overwhelmingly great teams last season, and it doesn't look like there will be this season. Once the superstars all converge in LA, Miami and New York, yeah then the window will be closed.

How quickly we forget that the Spurs met a shit load of challengers who's best players were injured or suspended or something along those lines.

How quickly we forget that the Spurs had no defense to speak of.

Dallas, LA or OKC would have destroyed a healthy Spurs team in a series. I doubt we get past Memphis with a healthy Spurs team in fact.

No defense = no ring

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
How quickly we forget that the Spurs met a shit load of challengers who's best players were injured or suspended or something along those lines.
False

How quickly we forget that the Spurs had no defense to speak of.
Opinion with no facts to back it up. 14th in the league in defense, 4th in point differential.

Dallas, LA or OKC would have destroyed a healthy Spurs team in a series. I doubt we get past Memphis with a healthy Spurs team in fact.

Dallas was right there with the Spurs for best record until they really got decimated by injuries. They were pretty clearly the class of the NBA along with the Spurs. One team peaked at the right time, one didn't. Would haves and could haves don't make much of a case.

Seventyniner
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Opinion with no facts to back it up. 14th in the league in defense, 4th in point differential.

And 10th in defensive efficiency at 106.0. In fact, the gap between 10th and 12th was bigger than the gap between 10th and 5th. The Spurs definitely weren't elite on defense, but they weren't bad, either.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
And 10th in defensive efficiency at 106.0. In fact, the gap between 10th and 12th was bigger than the gap between 10th and 5th. The Spurs definitely weren't elite on defense, but they weren't bad, either.

No they weren't bad. Due to the emphasis on getting the ball up the floor they started challenging passing lanes and taking more chances to get turnovers, something they'd stopped doing for a few years which really cost them. Sacrificing a bit of defense for easy points on the other end helps to preserve the health of the players as well.

People that act like the Spurs have any choice over whether or not they're an elite defensive team underestimate just how good Bruce Bowen was, and forget how hard he is to replace.

baseline bum
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Durant was an obvious pick, but no one figured Westbrook could really play the point (he never did at UCLA); you have to think they did really well with that pick. The Green selection wasn't great, but then again that draft had quite a few lotto busts like Yi, Corey Brewer, Brandan Wright, Acie Law, and Julian Wright, so it wasn't a horrible pick either.

Seventyniner
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
No they weren't bad. Due to the emphasis on getting the ball up the floor they started challenging passing lanes and taking more chances to get turnovers, something they'd stopped doing for a few years which really cost them. Sacrificing a bit of defense for easy points on the other end helps to preserve the health of the players as well.

Mathematically, giving up 1 point per possession, but have a 0% chance of getting a turnover is worse than giving up 1.05 PPP and a 5% chance of a turnover. That, and turnovers many times lead to those easy points. The sacrifice you speak of may not be much of one at all, really, depending on personnel.

Giuseppe
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Pop is so inert as a coach now that you guys are doomed. He coaches with a Quija Board, a Magic 8 Ball, eny-meany-miny & moe, and crossed fingers.

phxspurfan
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Pop is so inert

http://i.qkme.me/6oyq.jpg

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 03:06 PM
It's the same concept as the Jefferson contract.

No, it wasn't. Many differences (ETO v player option, Duncan's age and the over 36 rule, and the lockout that was looming when Duncan had to make his decision). It was never possible for the same sort of arrangement to be made.

In any event, it's a moot point. The deadline for Duncan to exercise his ETO was June 30th. He'll be playing under the terms of his existing contract this season.

Killakobe81
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM

some valid points here ...

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
some valid points here ...

Methinks you're more excited to read the last sentence than anything else.

mingus
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah Spurs days of competing for a championship are no more. they can still pull off the best record in the league, but last year showed that it doesn't mean shit. we can no longer play grind-it-out defense and no longer have a consistent low post player.

This year we may actually be quite a bit better than last year defensively if Splitter and Kawhi get time. i'll be happy with a 50+ win season and making the playoffs.

Killakobe81
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Methinks you're more excited to read the last sentence than anything else.

Mehh that remains to be seen ...

Though I dont think you guys are favorites in the west (far from it) I dont see how you cant say they are not at least Western Conference "contenders".

They had the best record in the conference ... and though the Grizz popped it's playoff cherry against you ...they are contenders and you can't say they are soooo much better than the Spurs.

Spurs Western contenders?: Yes
Title contenders?: No

chazley
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Just make sure you stay off the fucking bandwagon when we go deep. Spurs fans are so disillusioned by pretending that we're not contenders will somehow soften the blow if we do get eliminated.

Please, tell me who in the West is so much better than us that we cannot compete? Honestly, only the Grizzles are better than us in my opinion, and we just happened to draw them in the first round, plus had a mangled Manu. We won 60+ games last year, and we're returning basically the same squad minus George Hill and potentially RJ, who both played terribly against Memphis. Our squad is going to have a massive chip on their shoulder, as NO ONE stepped up in that Memphis series with the exception of Gary Neal, and have a ton to prove.

Our team has a ton of young talent to be very excited about as well.

James Anderson, Gary Neal, Dejaun Blair, De'Sean Butler, Cory Joseph, Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter.

All have great potential, and with the exception of the rookies they should all improve over last season. Don't forget Tony is still only 29 and has 2-4 years of elite PG potential left in him. Manu was an MVP candidate last season. Duncan is still an elite defensive player, on a squad that did not have trouble scoring last season.

Spurs fans need to get their heads out of the sand and wake up and see this team can still reach the Finals. There is no Shaq/Kobe Lakers that are perennial contenders that we have to go through. The Lakers and Grizzlies are the only teams that stand between us and a berth in the Finals, and both have as many question marks as we do. Alot of this stuff about contending is all relative to the teams we have to go through.

chazley
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Mehh that remains to be seen ...

Though I dont think you guys are favorites in the west (far from it) I dont see how you cant say they are not at least Western Conference "contenders".

They had the best record in the conference ... and though the Grizz popped it's playoff cherry against you ...they are contenders and you can't say they are soooo much better than the Spurs.

It's funny that a Lakers fan has far better perspective about our team than it's own fans. This post is spot on, and I respect the fact you are able to speak objectively about a rival. I gained alot of respect for you Killakobe.

chazley
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Spot on post as well.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

I don't think there's anyone dominant in the east, so if you can get past the Thunder, the Lakers, the Mavs, etc., then chances are you're a little more than lucky and have a shot. Things have to go just right and the young players have to really make an impact, but the Spurs won a title because Jaren Jackson was an amazing shooter, so anything's possible. :)

silverblk mystix
12-02-2011, 08:11 PM

How quickly you look past the fact that Pop is still the coach and he will continue to make decisions like #3 above. There will be some players that deserve to play this season-but Pop will decide to bury them on the bench for no good reason. Some players will play 30 minutes a game to the teams' detriment....for no good reason...other than because Pop is still the coach.

How quickly you forget the Finley....Bogans...Bonner fiascos....

benefactor
12-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Just make sure you stay off the fucking bandwagon when we go deep. Spurs fans are so disillusioned by pretending that we're not contenders will somehow soften the blow if we do get eliminated.

Please, tell me who in the West is so much better than us that we cannot compete? Honestly, only the Grizzles are better than us in my opinion, and we just happened to draw them in the first round, plus had a mangled Manu. We won 60+ games last year, and we're returning basically the same squad minus George Hill and potentially RJ, who both played terribly against Memphis. Our squad is going to have a massive chip on their shoulder, as NO ONE stepped up in that Memphis series with the exception of Gary Neal, and have a ton to prove.

Our team has a ton of young talent to be very excited about as well.

James Anderson, Gary Neal, Dejaun Blair, De'Sean Butler, Cory Joseph, Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter.

All have great potential, and with the exception of the rookies they should all improve over last season. Don't forget Tony is still only 29 and has 2-4 years of elite PG potential left in him. Manu was an MVP candidate last season. Duncan is still an elite defensive player, on a squad that did not have trouble scoring last season.

Spurs fans need to get their heads out of the sand and wake up and see this team can still reach the Finals. There is no Shaq/Kobe Lakers that are perennial contenders that we have to go through. The Lakers and Grizzlies are the only teams that stand between us and a berth in the Finals, and both have as many question marks as we do. Alot of this stuff about contending is all relative to the teams we have to go through.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2w6t1rl.gif

chazley
12-02-2011, 09:17 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2w6t1rl.gif

I'm sure you glanced at the first sentence. That's all I care about.

benefactor
12-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm sure you glanced at the first sentence. That's all I care about.
Bend over, I'll give you something to glance at that you'll care about.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:07 AM
How quickly you look past the fact that Pop is still the coach and he will continue to make decisions like #3 above. There will be some players that deserve to play this season-but Pop will decide to bury them on the bench for no good reason. Some players will play 30 minutes a game to the teams' detriment....for no good reason...other than because Pop is still the coach.

How quickly you forget the Finley....Bogans...Bonner fiascos....

In case you missed it, I'm the guy driving the "Pop cost the team titles" train.
But that's not what we're talking about. The question is whether the Spurs are contenders or in transition. Despite all the dumb shit the coach did last season, it's entirely likely that the Spurs go pretty deep into the playoffs if Manu doesn't play game 82. Losing their two worst defenders from the playoffs doesn't suddenly drive the team into rebuilding mode.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 12:18 AM
it's entirely likely that the Spurs go pretty deep into the playoffs if Manu doesn't play game 82.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Manu played great against the Grizz, it can be argued he was the best player for the Spurs in that series. The problems were elsewhere and, at this point, fairly well known.

Manu healthy wasn't going to be stopping ZBo or preventing a scrub like Darrell Arthur from torching Ginger. He also wasn't going to make RJ or TP (first 2 games) grow a pair.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree. Manu played great against the Grizz, it can be argued he was the best player for the Spurs in that series. The problems were elsewhere and, at this point, fairly well known.

Manu healthy wasn't going to be stopping ZBo or preventing a scrub like Darrell Arthur from torching Ginger. He also wasn't going to make RJ or TP (first 2 games) grow a pair.

Manu was the best player for the Spurs in that series. If he doesn't miss a game, they likely squeak out the series against the Grizz. After that, anything's possible.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Manu was the best player for the Spurs in that series. If he doesn't miss a game, they likely squeak out the series against the Grizz. After that, anything's possible.

I disagree, again. Your contention would have more weight if the Grizz would've made a deep run, but as expected, they flamed out in the next round. We know pretty well what the problems are. We knew them going in.

You just really can't put much stock in the regular season, because it is definitely a different kind of basketball. During the playoffs teams zone in on your team, look for the weaknesses and exploits them time and again. And the weaknesses on this Spurs team have been obvious for a few seasons now.

Expecting Leonard to be Bowen-like on his rookie season and Splitter to become a defensive force in what basically is going to be his first season of moderate playing time are really long odds. And that's where we've been needing help the most.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I disagree, again. Your contention would have more weight if the Grizz would've made a deep run, but as expected, they flamed out in the next round. We know pretty well what the problems are. We knew them going in.

You just really can't put much stock in the regular season, because it is definitely a different kind of basketball. During the playoffs teams zone in on your team, look for the weaknesses and exploits them time and again. And the weaknesses on this Spurs team have been obvious for a few seasons now.

Expecting Leonard to be Bowen-like on his rookie season and Splitter to become a defensive force in what basically is going to be his first season of moderate playing time are really long odds. And that's where we've been needing help the most.

Good points. I'd counter that the Grizzlies were the lone nightmare matchup for the way Pop wanted the Spurs to play last year, and it could have gone either way for the most part despite how horrible some of the guys were playing. Every day you survive is another chance to turn it around. I'm unsure how you can make the contention that having your best player not playing with his fucking arm in a gigantic brace wouldn't make a difference.

I agree that those weaknesses were obvious to almost all of us, including the Grizzlies. There wasn't any other team in the west that was going to give them as much of a problem, with the possible exception of the sleepwalking and otherwise disinterested Lakers.

I don't think anyone's really expecting Leonard to be Bowen, but it's not an outrageous notion that he could be a pretty decent upgrade at his position at the very things teams need in the playoffs. Splitter was probably the second best player for the time he was given against the Grizzlies, so expecting him to be able to contribute (if actually given an opportunity) is even less of a stretch.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Good points. I'd counter that the Grizzlies were the lone nightmare matchup for the way Pop wanted the Spurs to play last year, and it could have gone either way for the most part despite how horrible some of the guys were playing. Every day you survive is another chance to turn it around. I'm unsure how you can make the contention that having your best player not playing with his fucking arm in a gigantic brace wouldn't make a difference.

I agree that those weaknesses were obvious to almost all of us, including the Grizzlies. There wasn't any other team in the west that was going to give them as much of a problem, with the possible exception of the sleepwalking and otherwise disinterested Lakers.

I'll just disagree with this. I think Lakers, Mavs, Thunder (with the late addition of Perkins), Portland and even possibly Hornets were all teams that could give this team problems in a series. All teams that have one skilled big + one good defending big, plus a good defender in the perimeter.

I don't think anyone's really expecting Leonard to be Bowen, but it's not an outrageous notion that he could be a pretty decent upgrade at his position at the very things teams need in the playoffs. Splitter was probably the second best player for the time he was given against the Grizzlies, so expecting him to be able to contribute (if actually given an opportunity) is even less of a stretch.

tbh, Splitter wasn't that good, but I do chalk some of that to his unfamiliarity with both our team and the NBA. Obviously, I would rather have him out there than Ginger or Blair. But he has a long ways to go.

ElNono
12-03-2011, 01:02 AM
If I have to take a bright spot from last season, that's Gary Neal. Unfortunately, he was an upgrade on a position we weren't really needing a substantial upgrade on, but it's good to know that if Manu has some nagging injury, there's somebody out there with balls to step up and do a decent job.

I actually can't wait to see what he looks like in his second season.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 02:40 AM
tbh, Splitter wasn't that good, but I do chalk some of that to his unfamiliarity with both our team and the NBA. Obviously, I would rather have him out there than Ginger or Blair. But he has a long ways to go.

Possible that he looked good just because Dice and Bonner and Parker and Hill and RJ were so bloody awful, and Splitter's not a dominating guy, but he's a really smart defender, and he is amazingly good at drawing fouls on the other team. His ability to get the opposing bigs into foul trouble would have been worth giving him 23 minutes a game.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Possible that he looked good just because Dice and Bonner and Parker and Hill and RJ were so bloody awful, and Splitter's not a dominating guy, but he's a really smart defender, and he is amazingly good at drawing fouls on the other team. His ability to get the opposing bigs into foul trouble would have been worth giving him 23 minutes a game.

You could see some mistakes Splitter made on the defensive end, but that was just missing "corporate knowledge". Instead I really enjoyed his quick feet and how he was able to stay in front of his opponents. As you say, he is not dominating. He tries to take charges instead of blocking shots. And his ability to get to the free throw line impressed me as well - if he only makes 50% of the FTs at first, so be it. Getting the opposing team into penalty early can only be a good thing.

chazley
12-03-2011, 03:19 AM
I disagree, again. Your contention would have more weight if the Grizz would've made a deep run, but as expected, they flamed out in the next round.

Flamed out? Did you even watch the series? It went 7 games against the only team that could matchup with them in the entire league (OKC), and arguably the closest series of the year. Grizzlies would've won the championship last year the way they were playing defensively and with that inside game, if they were on the opposite bracket of the Thunder or had Rudy Gay. Can you imagine Dirk trying to defend Marc Gasol and/or Zach Randolph? Dominating the Heat is easy when all you have to do is sit under the basket on defense and guard the likes of Joel Anthony for half of your minutes.

Basketball is all about matchups. At the end of the day, if you run into a hot team or a team that matches up well against you, you're going to either get beat or barely win. The Grizzlies were a better team compared to the Spurs. The Thunder were better than the Grizzlies, because they had three great defensive big men, and had obvious advantages at the wing and point guard spots. We were better than the Thunder because we were able to expose their lack of scoring options inside and we had great spacing/shooting.

If we had gotten 4 straight great matchups, like the Mavs did, we would've won a championship last year. We would've absolutely soul crushed the Mavericks in a playoff series, just like we did in 2010. Anyone would've crushed the Lakers last year, with the exception of the one team they beat, the Hornets (who miraculously won 2 games, and Chris Paul looked like a superstar again after playing terribly, for his standards, the entire regular season), and the Blazers.

We couldn't beat the Grizzlies. That was it. And we happened to run into them. Shit happens.

therealtruth
12-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Agree with Chazley. The Grizzlies had a weakness on the perimeter and we had a weakness on the inside. The Grizzlies were able to dominate us so much inside that our advantage on the perimeter was played even.

The main thing that won the series for their Thunder is that they had good enough bigs to play single coverage and they were able to win the battle on the perimeter. Note single coverage doesn't mean you stop the player it just means making him work for his shot. Why do you think Hollins put OJ Mayo in the starting lineup? They needed more firepower on the perimeter.

If we had played our bigs that could play single coverage (Duncan, Dice, and Splitter) we wouldn't have had to double like crazy and give a bad perimeter shooting team so many wide open looks. Give any NBA team enough wide open looks and they will hurt you. If we stay glued to their perimeter guys Tony/Manu easily win the perimeter battle. Plus they save energy without doubling so much. Battier hit a couple of big 3's that would have never happened if we stay at home on the perimeter.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Thats why I also think that Rudy Gays injury was a blessing in disguise for the Grizzlies. Were he not injured, they would not have pounded the ball so much on the inside with Randolph and Gasol. I know Gay is very good, but Superstars demand the basketball. The Spurs always handled Durant very good, they would have been able to do the same with Gay.

But its premature to think Spurs could have crushed the Mavericks. Early in the season the Spurs were already playing at a high level, but lost to the Mavs (with Chandler being a difference by going to the line frequently). All other games against them were without Nowitzki.

ChuckD
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Thats why I also think that Rudy Gays injury was a blessing in disguise for the Grizzlies. Were he not injured, they would not have pounded the ball so much on the inside with Randolph and Gasol. I know Gay is very good, but Superstars demand the basketball. The Spurs always handled Durant very good, they would have been able to do the same with Gay.

Funny, I was actually thinking during the run to the playoffs, when MEM had that great finish, that the Rudy injury may have actually enabled them to make the playoffs. The Grizz accidentally discovered how to play solid basketball: D up and pound the ball inside. It wouldn't shock me to see them miss the show this year. They're young and cocky, Randolph just got paid, and Rudy has returned and will want his touches back. They should have traded Rudy last summer.

Giuseppe
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
If I have to take a bright spot from last season, that's Gary Neal. Unfortunately, he was an upgrade on a position we weren't really needing a substantial upgrade on, but it's good to know that if Manu has some nagging injury, there's somebody out there with balls to step up and do a decent job.

I actually can't wait to see what he looks like in his second season.

You're so damn lucky he raped.

I'd give my eye teeth to have him on the Lakers.

pjjrfan
12-03-2011, 10:31 AM
The window for a title probably has been closed for some time now. But this is the first season were the conversation has gone from " do we still have another run" to how do we start rebuilding. No longer are we looking to putting pieces around Duncan to have a shot, rather the focus has been how do we rebuild knowing timmy is going.

Where so out of it. (title run) that even if we got the best free agent out there. (nene , chandler etc) we still won't be considered title prospects. It's gotten to the point that if Nene joined us he won't just be Duncan sidekick but our best frontline player.

Seriously i think it will take a couple of years before we can rebuild to being contenders again. and that might not even happen unless we get really luck agian in the draft and find a franchise player .

Actually We've been lucky since the Spurs got here. Gervin, Robinson and Duncan. There was a little gap there between Gervin and Robinson but this franchise has been extremely fortunate and early on the credit went to Drossos and now to Pop and Holt. The Duncan era though did produce those 4 titles so the transition will be harder to swallow .

T

ElNono
12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Flamed out? Did you even watch the series? It went 7 games against the only team that could matchup with them in the entire league (OKC), and arguably the closest series of the year. Grizzlies would've won the championship last year the way they were playing defensively and with that inside game, if they were on the opposite bracket of the Thunder or had Rudy Gay. Can you imagine Dirk trying to defend Marc Gasol and/or Zach Randolph? Dominating the Heat is easy when all you have to do is sit under the basket on defense and guard the likes of Joel Anthony for half of your minutes.

Basketball is all about matchups. At the end of the day, if you run into a hot team or a team that matches up well against you, you're going to either get beat or barely win. The Grizzlies were a better team compared to the Spurs. The Thunder were better than the Grizzlies, because they had three great defensive big men, and had obvious advantages at the wing and point guard spots. We were better than the Thunder because we were able to expose their lack of scoring options inside and we had great spacing/shooting.

If we had gotten 4 straight great matchups, like the Mavs did, we would've won a championship last year. We would've absolutely soul crushed the Mavericks in a playoff series, just like we did in 2010. Anyone would've crushed the Lakers last year, with the exception of the one team they beat, the Hornets (who miraculously won 2 games, and Chris Paul looked like a superstar again after playing terribly, for his standards, the entire regular season), and the Blazers.

We couldn't beat the Grizzlies. That was it. And we happened to run into them. Shit happens.

I agree that matchups matter, that OKC was better than the Griz and that the better team wins a 7 game series. Disagree with pretty much everything else.

Giuseppe
12-03-2011, 11:07 AM
We couldn't beat the Grizzlies. That was it. And we happened to run into them.

"happened" my ass.

They ruthlessly cut you out & stalked you.

DPG21920
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
You have no room ^, the Mavs did the same thing to your team.

Giuseppe
12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
You have no room ^, the Mavs did the same thing to your team.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

analyzed
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
quotes from NBA.com

""The Big Three still have the ability and punch to get the Spurs into the upper half of the playoff bracket, but they can no longer be expected to do it all every night. Unless the supporting cast can carry more of the weight, the elite contending days are over and the curtain falls on an era of greatness in San Antonio.

At No. 15, Leonard is the highest draft pick since Duncan in 1997 and it might not be overstating the case too much to say the direction of the season is in his hands. If he can hit the corner jumper, rebound, defend and somehow force his way into the Rookie of the Year conversation, the Spurs could challenge the Mavs, Lakers and Thunder in the West again."

And if I could add: if Splitter can provide Impact on both ends. (30 min a game). Neal and Anderson provide decent back-up contributions. then we can challenge for the west.

That in summary is what it boils down to

Agloco
12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
The window for a title probably has been closed for some time now.

Since 08 tbh

It won't open anytime soon either.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
You could see some mistakes Splitter made on the defensive end, but that was just missing "corporate knowledge". Instead I really enjoyed his quick feet and how he was able to stay in front of his opponents. As you say, he is not dominating. He tries to take charges instead of blocking shots. And his ability to get to the free throw line impressed me as well - if he only makes 50% of the FTs at first, so be it. Getting the opposing team into penalty early can only be a good thing.

If he's not the de-facto starting center at this point alongside Duncan, then Popovich should really consider checking in to a treatment center.

Sean Cagney
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Spurs will be better this season than expected by most experts (as always), but cannot go deep into the playoffs. They might with a guy like Nene, but such a player acquisition is not gonna happen. Thats why many people here including me are just looking forward to enjoy watching a bit of Manu and Timmy riding into the sunset plus a heavy dose of Splitter, Anderson, Leonard and Neal :-)

^^^^^^^ This.

therealtruth
12-04-2011, 12:17 AM
If he's not the de-facto starting center at this point alongside Duncan, then Popovich should really consider checking in to a treatment center.

Agree. Also it's not that Splitter's always taking charges. He tries to contest the shot. It's the same thing Tyson Chandler does. Chandler doesn't block alot of shots but he's able to alter shots. It counts more to be able to alter 10 shots than to block 2 shots and allow 8 shots at the rim. Somehow it's easy to think that the guy who gets more blocks is better than who just plays solid defense. Defense is played before the shot. Going for the block alot of times says that you made a mistake playing defense.

analyzed
12-04-2011, 03:53 AM
The one thing I'm looking forward to is seeing a frontline of Duncan , Splinter and Leonard playing together. A big borometer for competing for a ring is how well you protect and compete in the paint, something we haven't done well in the past few years. This frontline gives me the confidence that we can change that.
It goes without saying how important integrating Leonard and Splitter are to being competitive.

The worst thing is to see both players getting little PT. remember Pop hardly used TD together with Splitter last season. So I would'nt be surprised if this dosent happen

Fireball
12-04-2011, 04:14 AM
The worst thing is to see both players getting little PT. remember Pop hardly used TD together with Splitter last season. So I would'nt be surprised if this dosent happen

I'm hopeful both Leonard and Splitter will get enough playing time. But Pop and RC view both Splitter and Duncan as centers, therefore I think Splitter will sub in for Duncan. Without a 5th big man this avoids heavy minutes from the Blair/Bonner Combo which is a killer defensively. I hope the rotation is tweaked in a a way that Duncan and Splitter are on the court together at least at the end of the game.

Despot
05-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Hmmmmmmm.........

capek
05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Doubters! Round them up and bring out the sterilization tongs!

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-19-2012, 11:33 PM

We can discuss this matter after Duncan and Co. have hoisted their 5th trophy this June.

Solid D
05-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Nice bump, Despot! Props to Obstructed View, chazley and other defenders of the Alamo.

SpursIndonesia
05-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Have to keep it upfront till the OP comes out the woods. :D

TampaDude
05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
What now, bitches??? :lol