PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Josh Howard

tmtcsc
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
According to Chris Broussard, the Spurs are one of many teams interested in pursuing Josh Howard.

Interesting. Perhaps moving RJ is in the works too. That would be nice.

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd rather stick with RJ instead of this fool.

And what's all this fascination with yet another SF, when the Spurs obviously need help on the frontline?

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Welcome to four posts down. See you there.

JR3
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd rather stick with RJ instead of this fool.

And what's all this fascination with yet another SF, when the Spurs obviously need help on the frontline?

The only reason i can think of as to why the spurs are looking at SFs, is because they plan on moving RJ.

JR3
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
And moving RJ in a deal for a big...

JamStone
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
only 8 years too late... not too bad

tmtcsc
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Josh Howard would provide leadership to this team in what would most likely be a bench role.....**crickets** Ah hell, I couldn't even type that with a straight face. I'd pass on him. The bigger story here is that they want a SF and might be looking to move RJ.

5in10
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
And moving RJ in a deal for a big...

Thats gotta be it...Caron Butler now this guy...something is in the works.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Since we're going to do this in two threads apparently, amnesty is far more likely than a trade. Nobody's likely to be stupid enough to take on RJ's contract, but you could probably get a few teams to bid it down.

jermaine
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't know what Howard has left. But I know this. He will try to attack the rim. Can't say that much about RJ. Ill take anybody over that trashy ass gay fuck.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
is buford tryin to build a wake forest team? whats next go after cp3?

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't know what Howard has left. But I know this. He will try to attack the rim. Can't say that much about RJ. Ill take anybody over that trashy ass gay fuck.

Howard hasn't attacked the rim since 2006. He's been too injured most of the time and too in love with the 3-ball the rest of the time.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
how about josh daniels?

SenorSpur
12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
is buford tryin to build a wake forest team? whats next go after cp3?

If so, he'd better track down Randolph Childress.

Dex
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Gross.

Giuseppe
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
RJ is a winner. Though he's never actually won.

Howard is a loserPERIOD

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
if that trade about the bucks trading bogut in that 3 way deal...would they wanna trade jax back to us for rj?

DisAsTerBot
12-02-2011, 01:30 PM

jermaine!!!! damn man where have you been???
couldnt take that 2k ass kicking huh?

lefty
12-02-2011, 01:31 PM
SPurs :lmao

Buford :lmao

Pop :lmao

DesignatedT
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Just get RJ out.

Fireball
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Next target must be David West ... Spurs are only targeting FAs who had knee surgeries last season. This short free agency period looks likes its going to be another big disappointment.

lefty
12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Fuck West

I want a real center

Fireball
12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry, but no centers with knee problems available this free agency ...

Muser
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Urgh fuck that i'd rather keep RJ

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Sorry, but no centers with knee problems available this free agency ...

greg oden for the right pieces why not

hence dont the blazers still have camby, and pryz is FA

thought the blazers might be decreasing payroll to sell off team...

Trill Clinton
12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
do.not.want.

stephen jackson
12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
even if we really wanted him, i dont see any free agent wanting to come here no more....

Fireball
12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
even if we really wanted him, i dont see any free agent wanting to come here no more....

only in case of Josh Howard I sincerely hope so ...

The Truth #6
12-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Smokescreen. CIA BS. Spurs never leak actual trade rumors.

TimmehC
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Smokescreen. CIA BS. Spurs never leak actual trade rumors.

This isn't about trades, and they can't force agents to shut up when contacting them about signing one of their clients. With trades, the agents usually don't know shit about what the Spurs are doing. Free agency is completely different.

pawe
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Why'd they go after a guy who has the potential to miss games because of illegal substance abuse issues?
And besides, Howard only plays like an all star when up against the Spurs. You can put him in the Bonzi, Bogut and Stackhouse group.

jermaine
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
But they never get who they claim to be after. They go waaaaay left. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Iggy from the 76ers.

Killakobe81
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
According to Chris Broussard, the Spurs are one of many teams interested in pursuing Josh Howard.

Interesting. Perhaps moving RJ is in the works too. That would be nice.

Im not a "booty" guy I prefer breasts but man, that chick is fine ... WHO IS THAT?! :toast

DMC
12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Is Mutombo interested? It's about the same thing.

stephen jackson
12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
But they never get who they claim to be after. They go waaaaay left. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Iggy from the 76ers.
:lmao

AFBlue
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Better than RJ for half the price.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Clearly you never watched his last years as a Maverick.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Im not a "booty" guy I prefer breasts but man, that chick is fine ... WHO IS THAT?! :toast

Keyra Augustna.

Vic Petro
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Weird that the team is checking in on all these SFs with Jefferson and Kawhi already on the roster. Perhaps something is amiss

:stirpot:

Russo21
12-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I like the interest in Howard. When Josh was healthy and off the weed he was one of the best rebounding small forwards i've seen. He gave us fits against dallas in the playoffs one year. I'd be all in for having Josh Howard around.

Leonard with the defense, Howard with rebounding, it would be quite a tandem at SF.

Then you have the obvious issue. We don't need 3 SF's, we need a big. They'd have to be considering shipping RJ out for a big to even consider Howard. Would be interesting.

silverblk mystix
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Why not Josh Mcroberts or whatever that indiana white boys' name is....get him and ship out Bon-Bon.....

that should be the only Josh the Spurs look at...

tmtcsc
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Keyra Augustna.

No sir. Just a nameless chick from this website:

thechive.com

TD 21
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
First Butler, now Howard. If this is true, then I've got to believe the Spurs have a Jefferson trade worked out, probably with the Raptors or Jazz. Otherwise, obviously it wouldn't make sense to have interest in Butler and Howard (it could be argued that it still wouldn't make sense, but at least the rational would be understandable).

Nathan89
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
First Butler, now Howard. If this is true, then I've got to believe the Spurs have a Jefferson trade worked out, probably with the Raptors or Jazz. Otherwise, obviously it wouldn't make sense to have interest in Butler and Howard (it could be argued that it still wouldn't make sense, but at least the rational would be understandable).

I think it makes sense. The spurs need another sf besides a rookie and 2nd year player. Anderson could also be thrown in with the trade. Then it definitely makes sense.

Drewlius
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
God, would have absolutely loved this pre public pothead/25% effort.

TD 21
12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I think it makes sense. The spurs need another sf besides a rookie and 2nd year player. Anderson could also be thrown in with the trade. Then it definitely makes sense.

You misunderstood me. I meant if Jefferson were going to be kept, then signing Butler or Howard would make no sense, because they'd have ample depth at SF and obviously, they have other needs and a limited amount of money with which to fill those needs.

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
or we could all be wrong and pops planning on having leanord play PF.

that better not be Pops plan.:bang

AFBlue
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Weird that the team is checking in on all these SFs with Jefferson and Kawhi already on the roster. Perhaps something is amiss

:stirpot:

Doesn't surprise me at all. The fact that Jefferson is the shoe-in for Spurs amnesty candidate means they will be actively looking for his replacement. If they can get a veteran replacement at half the cost this off-season then they may not have to wait until next season to cut him loose.

Rito3d30
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Shendelle Schokman
http://bikini.com/allstars/content/shendelle-schokman/62/photos/1/true

Uriel
12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't normally try to read top much into what the Spurs are supposedly doing, but this time around, I think the signs are far too obvious to ignore.

Between RC saying on draft day that they were determined to improve their roster through trading, Tony telling the French media that the Spurs would pull off a big trade to get them back in contention, and the Spurs contacting wings in free agency (Caron Butler first and now Josh Howard) despite the fact that they already have a plethora of young, athletic ones stockpiled in their roster (Kahwi Leonard, James Anderson, Danny Green, DeSean Butler), it's quite difficult not to surmise that they're likely going to try and address the frontcourt issues by trading what is essentially the expiring contract of Richard Jefferson (amnesty clause and all, perhaps with Blair thrown in as a swetener), and then address the lack of veteran wing leadership by looking to sign the aforementioned free agents.

As for the notion that this is merely a preemptive move on the Spurs' part for if they decide to use the amnesty clause on RJ this year, I doubt this is the case for two reasons. The first being that Peter Holt himself was the one that lead the charge for an amnesty clause that did NOT have to be excercised immediately (meaning if they were to hold on to RJ this season so they could amnesty him at all, it would almost certainly be next season when Tim Duncan's contract comes off the books and they have a ton of money to spend on the 2012 class of free agents), and the second being that the Spurs likely view RJ as a better small forward than anyone they're likely going to be able to afford on the market anyway, 44% 3-pt shooting and all.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
RJ can't be amnistied by anyone other than the Spurs.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:09 PM
You know what I don't get and maybe I'm missing something:

People keep saying they will wait until next year to amnesty RJ bc it's when Tim will be off the books and it will clear extra cap space, but if you amnesty RJ now his salary comes off just the same for this year AND the next two no?

ChuckD
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb9UfiEiMfVoJa6c6bMOFcOzLu8OjV3 1DzVMRsJ4DQPaMDiFAm

Seventyniner
12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
RJ can't be amnistied by anyone other than the Spurs.

What makes you say this? Several other posters have said that this has yet to be decided.

Mel_13
12-02-2011, 10:31 PM

People keep saying they will wait until next year to amnesty RJ bc it's when Tim will be off the books and it will clear extra cap space, but if you amnesty RJ now his salary comes off just the same for this year AND the next two no?

Yes.

Look, the RJ hate is strong here on ST. The Spurs operate more rationally. While many here believe that the Spurs become a better team simply by making RJ disappear, I doubt that the FO holds the same view.

Using the amnesty this year saves some luxury tax and adds the lux tax distribution. The FO may view this as a small price to pay for a player who has some useful skills and can eat minutes during a compressed schedule while a rookie is integrated into the team. The only spending flexibility they gain from using the amnesty is the increase from the mini-MLE to the full MLE.

Using the amnesty next year, in conjunction with a Duncan retirement, creates a substantial amount of cap space.

Keeping him also allows for the possibility of a trade. While it may seem unlikely now, you never now how the season will unfold. A contending team could lose their SF to injury before the trade deadline and may be willing to swap an expiring contract to get a veteran with playoff experience. Once the amnesty is used, all you can do is pay the guy to play for someone else.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:36 PM
What makes you say this? Several other posters have said that this has yet to be decided.

From my understanding this has been confirmed already. I'll look for where I found it.

DPG21920
12-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes.

Look, the RJ hate is strong here on ST. The Spurs operate more rationally. While many here believe that the Spurs become a better team simply by making RJ disappear, I doubt that the FO holds the same view.

Using the amnesty this year saves some luxury tax and adds the lux tax distribution. The FO may view this as a small price to pay for a player who has some useful skills and can eat minutes during a compressed schedule while a rookie is integrated into the team. The only spending flexibility they gain from using the amnesty is the increase from the mini-MLE to the full MLE.

Using the amnesty next year, in conjunction with a Duncan retirement, creates a substantial amount of cap space.

Keeping him also allows for the possibility of a trade. While it may seem unlikely now, you never now how the season will unfold. A contending team could lose their SF to injury before the trade deadline and may be willing to swap an expiring contract to get a veteran with playoff experience. Once the amnesty is used, all you can do is pay the guy to play for someone else.

I agree with you on their likely POV, but I was just saying that whether they use it this year or next, the cap space will be the same as far as how much cap space they have when Tim comes off the books, yet many talk about it like it differs (or maybe I just read into that way). I get what you are saying with regards to fielding what they believe the best team to be for this year then using it only when it coincides with significant cap space in that particular year.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2011, 12:11 AM
The cap space will be cleared, but he makes a bit less this year, so if they're not filled out at his position (In Popspeak, that means having a veteran, no matter how much he sucks) then they might consider it worth his bloated contract to keep him around. In addition, he could blow up again the way he did last year and a) have a higher trade value by deadline time or b) could still have something in his tank for a shorter season and a playoff run.

Fireball
12-03-2011, 02:38 AM

I think the idea is that you will probably not get a suitable replacement for RJ who costs less and will only accept a 1 year deal. So the replacement player would have to be paid next season as well and therefore the cap room would not be as large.

With all these interests in SF free agents I am getting worried about Leonards minutes, as I am not totally sure the Spurs will get rid of RJ. Wish we could all stop the speculation and have a final full team roster to base our season expectations on.

therealtruth
12-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Getting a another center would be first priority. Between Jefferson,Leonard,Anderson, and Green they should be able to get decent production there. The SF position doesn't play a big enough role in the offense. The SF position isn't why they lost to Memphis. It was lack of good enough bigs.

Duncan2177
12-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Getting a another center would be first priority. Between Jefferson,Leonard,Anderson, and Green they should be able to get decent production there. The SF position doesn't play a big enough role in the offense. The SF position isn't why they lost to Memphis. It was lack of good enough bigs.

:tu

sananspursfan21
12-03-2011, 01:18 PM

i just hit the "like" button

Ice009
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
One thing these guys all have in common is ATTITUDE. Josh Howard, Caron Butler, Shane Battier (to a lesser extent) have attitude. This is one reason I think the Spurs might be looking at all these guys, especially seeing how soft RJ is may have woken them up to what type of players you need.

Bruno
12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichaelLee/status/143518813017751554

Michael Lee
Busy week for Josh Howard: He will visit SAS on Tues. Plans to visit CHI, NJN & #wizards, though the dates haven't been set

timtonymanu
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I haven't been following Josh Howard lately.

Obviously he's not 2007 Josh Howard, but is this guy even fully healthy at the moment?

SenorSpur
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Amen!

xtremesteven33
12-04-2011, 09:46 PM
He'll go wherever the most money is at. He doesnt care about winning from what Ive seen.

Ditty
12-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Howard would be nice for the minimum. Howard looked pretty bad last year, and has a pretty bad shot selection, but Butler, and Carter don't have the best either. He would be good just in case Leonard hits the rookie wall, or if James Anderson is injured again, but I would like the Spurs to groom Da'Sean Butler as the future backup SF to Leonard.

Spursfan092120
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I haven't been following Josh Howard lately.

Obviously he's not 2007 Josh Howard, but is this guy even fully healthy at the moment?

7vOHQLYbzsg

From a few days ago

Seventyniner
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM

It's about time we made this distinction: the Spurs don't need a center, they need a power forward. Splitter is better suited as a center, and Duncan basically is a center.

therealtruth
12-05-2011, 12:39 AM
It's about time we made this distinction: the Spurs don't need a center, they need a power forward. Splitter is better suited as a center, and Duncan basically is a center.

At the end of the day the Spurs need to improve their defense. You really can't improve from being #1 in offensive efficiency in the NBA but you can improve from being #11 defensively. So they have to get a big man that does that.

crc21209
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
7vOHQLYbzsg

From a few days ago

He looks pretty damn good there, but who knows what he would look like in a game-time situation getting banged around....

Obstructed_View
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Wow, if the Spurs play a bunch of guys just standing around then I want this guy on my team!

ElNono
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
7vOHQLYbzsg

From a few days ago

Photoshop IMO :lol

Pistons < Spurs
12-12-2011, 09:15 AM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Wiz FA F Josh Howard now as an offer in hand from Spurs, rep says. Utah made offer & will meet with him this week. Wiz also still in mix.

jeebus
12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
meh

I don't think he's worth it.

yavozerb
12-12-2011, 09:47 AM
This guy is so going to draw this out just to sign with the wiz..I cannot see Howard playing for Utah or SA tell you the truth.

Old School 44
12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
I like, if Nene is following him to the Spurs.