PDA

View Full Version : Why are some drugs illegal?

4>0 Rings' Treadmill
12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
?

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-04-2011, 10:53 PM
because of retarded republicans/bible thumpers who think they can tell people what to do with their body

All drugs should be legal. You should be able to pollute your body with whatever you want to.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
:tu

not to mention the drug cartels south of us that use our addicts who are willing to pay "crack prices" for crack to fund their operation would lose all their power if addicts could get the same stuff cheap.

Ron Paul said it best, it's really stupid to think there are a bunch of Americans who need the government to keep drugs illegal for them to avoid being addicts. Keeping things illegal only makes people curious about them and more anxious to try them.

But sorry the religious right is totally a huge reason why drugs are still illegal. Nothing can be said to dispute that.

spursncowboys
12-04-2011, 11:11 PM
because of retarded republicans/bible thumpers who think they can tell people what to do with their body

All drugs should be legal. You should be able to pollute your body with whatever you want to.

And you then you want socialized medicine to pay for all their medical bills. Then lower prison sentences for criminals committing crimes from drugs, directly or indirectly?

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Like it or not the "religious right" is what represents modern day Christianity in America.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
And you then you want socialized medicine to pay for all their medical bills. Then lower prison sentences for criminals committing crimes from drugs, directly or indirectly?
Not at all. I want all the meth addicts to do all the meth they want and then die.

It's also retarded to think there'd be more drug related crimes if drugs were legal. There'd be significantly less. Countries where drugs are legal don't have nearly as much drug related crime as America does.

spursncowboys
12-04-2011, 11:14 PM

not to mention the drug cartels south of us that use our addicts who are willing to pay "crack prices" for crack to fund their operation would lose all their power if addicts could get the same stuff cheap.

Ron Paul said it best, it's really stupid to think there are a bunch of Americans who need the government to keep drugs illegal for them to avoid being addicts. Keeping things illegal only makes people curious about them and more anxious to try them.

But sorry the religious right is totally a huge reason why drugs are still illegal. Nothing can be said to dispute that.
Your professor is doing a number on you. If it's only the religious right, then Obama, Reid and Pelosi would have made it all legal right?

lol@ at legalizing crack, heroine and meth.

There are nations who have done that. How are the statistics in those countries after decriminalizing all drugs?

spursncowboys
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
you're flat out wrong, keeping drugs illegal creates monopoly power for the dealers and keeps prices sky high, causing addicts to have to turn to crime to support their addictions. portugal has already tried decriminalization with great results, so economists already know the implications and wholeheartedly agree with decriminalization.

I disagree. I think the lack of taxes and government red tape is why prices have stayed lower and the same in the past 20 years.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
There's also stats that show the number of addicts and the life span of addicts both goes way down if drugs become legal.

The current system as it stands makes addicts a giant liability to this country. Legalizing all drugs and cutting addicts off would cut down the number of addicts down and the ones left would die quicker.

DMC
12-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Same shit, different day

mavsfan1000
12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm glad they are illegal. Protect me from myself and the temptation.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm glad they are illegal. Protect me from myself and the temptation.
You are a stupid faggot. If you need meth to be illegal in order to not do it, you don't deserve to live.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
You are a stupid faggot. If you need meth to be illegal in order to not do it, you don't deserve to live.
Fuck you bitch. Who said anything about meth? Some of the other drugs are obviously tempting. Like Acid, Shrooms, and Weed.

DMC
12-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah I always get deja vu whenever these threads pop up and the same people come in here with the same responses no matter how many times you've educated them :dizzy
Yeah.

Someone could ask "why is the sky blue" and at least 12 posters would try to explain it. We know who they are. Then a couple would pop in and debate their claims and a pissing contest would ensue.

It's like throwing a banana into a cage full of monkeys and watching them kill each other for it. You aren't feeding anyone, you're just fucking with the monkeys.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Fuck you bitch. Who said anything about meth? Some of the other drugs are obviously tempting. Like Acid, Shrooms, and Weed.
:lol just because you'd be unable to handle doing those drugs and going about life shouldn't be enough reason to ruin it for people who can smoke weed and still function in every day society.

I have an extremely addictive personality so I don't smoke weed at all, but that's something that's my responsibility, just like it's my responsibility to not smoke tobacco and keep my drinking to a manageable level. It's not the government's responsibility, and just like how there are alcoholics who can't drink at all or they go nuts, people who can't handle weed shouldn't ruin it for people who can.

Kyle Orton
12-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Cannabis is such a beautiful plant imo

skut_farkus
12-05-2011, 01:29 AM
legalize it everything for all i care.

Leetonidas
12-05-2011, 01:49 AM
:lol just because you'd be unable to handle doing those drugs and going about life shouldn't be enough reason to ruin it for people who can smoke weed and still function in every day society.

I have an extremely addictive personality so I don't smoke weed at all, but that's something that's my responsibility, just like it's my responsibility to not smoke tobacco and keep my drinking to a manageable level. It's not the government's responsibility, and just like how there are alcoholics who can't drink at all or they go nuts, people who can't handle weed shouldn't ruin it for people who can.

Cannabis is such a beautiful plant imo

mavsfan1000
12-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Weed makes you act retarded. I've done it before. Yes it's fun but I worry about the long term effects. Carcinogens being the biggest negative about it.

mingus
12-05-2011, 02:41 AM
because i think some things in this world, like crack, meth, cocain, heroin, deserve to be stigmatize not be sold in stores like they're a Snickers.

i do believe certain drugs like pot and shrooms you can get away with legalizing and nothing drastic would change to society because those are relatively mild drugs.

mingus
12-05-2011, 02:51 AM
you're flat out wrong, keeping drugs illegal creates monopoly power for the dealers and keeps prices sky high, causing addicts to have to turn to crime to support their addictions. portugal has already tried decriminalization with great results, so economists already know the implications and wholeheartedly agree with decriminalization.

yeah, because Portugal knows exactly what they're doing economically. lets do what they say.

Wild Cobra
12-05-2011, 04:28 AM

I would agree if we can make it such that drug abuse does not affect others.

2pac > Kobe
12-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Weed makes you act retarded. I've done it before. Yes it's fun but I worry about the long term effects. Carcinogens being the biggest negative about it.
The herb opens my mind brah, without ganja I would be a failure in life, and that's real talk playa

silverblk mystix
12-05-2011, 05:56 AM
The truth is;

They are made illegal...because the government....wants you to ONLY buy their drugs...it is a gazillion dollar business...

Just watch an hour of TV in the USA...how many "doctor approved" drugs are advertised over and over....there are so many ...I sometimes marvel at the creativity of some of these names....

Drugs for every illness....perceived illness....made-up illness...imagined illness...future illness...

Do you suffer from ____________________?

Side effects may include____________________________, ____________________, blah _______________________and__________________blah__ ____________....

Please consult your doctor (who is being paid by us to steer you into our trap)...

boutons_deux
12-05-2011, 08:11 AM
BigPharma is pushing the police goons in the FDA to make ALL supplements illegal that have been introduced before Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994, and also make illegal any pre-1994 supplements (nutriceuticals) that have been modified since 1994.

Natural supplement suppliers cannot reference any scientific studies that show the contents of their supplements (like pomegranate) promote health or treat disease, because anything, even fruit and vegs, that affects disease is a "drug" and must be regulated by FDA.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Alcohol abuse affects others, and prohibition did jack shit to limit that

Tobacco abuse affects how expensive the healthcare of people who don't puff smoke down their throat is, but having a big ass surgeon general's warning on every cigarette box doesn't stop 20% of the population from smoking.

Keeping drugs illegal does jack shit to limit its use and its affect on other people.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 09:15 AM
wow you are such a little pussy. I bet you had no friends in high school :lol

:cry weed is bad for you :cry

boutons_deux
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
the LEGAL FDA-approved drugs do wonders:

"As it turns out, the very people and medications we turn to for protection against this onslaught [of current health problems] may be doing more harm than good. The Journal of the American Medical Association reported that there are more than 2 million drug "reactions" annually in the U.S., and more than 100,000 of those reactions are fatal. This makes prescription drugs the fourth leading cause of death in America. But the reality is actually much worse. These numbers do not include:

Patients who are given the wrong drugs or who are given those drugs at the wrong dosage or in the wrong combination.

Patients who have fatal reactions to the drugs, but whose death is mistakenly (or deliberately) attributed to other causes. A patient is prescribed a painkiller and dies from a heart attack. How is that recorded on the death certificate—reaction to the drug or heart attack? Both are true, but only one is the truth."

"Add these circumstances to the aforementioned “official” count and you find that deaths from adverse reactions to drugs may number as high as 700,000 a year. Actually, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that only 1 percent of all adverse reactions are reported, which, if true, would make 700,000 an incredibly conservative estimate. Now, combine those 700,000 deaths with the number of people who die from misdiagnosis, inappropriate treatment, secondary infections received in hospitals, or just plain physician error, and the startling fact you’re left with is that modern medicine, despite all the great things it may have accomplished, is arguably the single leading cause of death in the United States."

From a newsletter from JonBarron.org.

How many deaths from marijuana per year?

mingus
12-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Tobacco abuse affects how expensive the healthcare of people who don't puff smoke down their throat is, but having a big ass surgeon general's warning on every cigarette box doesn't stop 20% of the population from smoking.

Keeping drugs illegal does jack shit to limit its use and its affect on other people.

I'm not sure I agree with the last claim. You cited certain countries where it hasn't been much of a problem. I'll take your word for it. I can tell you from firsthand experience though that the opposite can happen. Went to Ethiopia this summer, and in theres a legalized psychactive drug there called chat that is legal. Its highly addictive and it has made its way into schools. Its benefited local economies but at a very high cost. People walk around with bags of the stuff, getting high and talking to themselves and imaginary friends. It has effectively made a lot of people apathetic and useless to society. I think it's one of those things I would like to test for a few years. Legalize drugs and see what happens. I don't think anyone knows what would happen but in our immediate-gratification society where people can't even monitor what they eat, I think it would cause a lot of damage. Especially to anassumming young people who may want to naively "try it once" and turn into addicts.

mavs>spurs
12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
The problem is people want to "try it once" even more after you tell them not to. It's human nature.

Drachen
12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the last claim. You cited certain countries where it hasn't been much of a problem. I'll take your word for it. I can tell you from firsthand experience though that the opposite can happen. Went to Ethiopia this summer, and in theres a legalized psychactive drug there called chat that is legal. Its highly addictive and it has made its way into schools. Its benefited local economies but at a very high cost. People walk around with bags of the stuff, getting high and talking to themselves and imaginary friends. It has effectively made a lot of people apathetic and useless to society. I think it's one of those things I would like to test for a few years. Legalize drugs and see what happens. I don't think anyone knows what would happen but in our immediate-gratification society where people can't even monitor what they eat, I think it would cause a lot of damage. Especially to anassumming young people who may want to naively "try it once" and turn into addicts.

Easy way to lower obesity rates. Make meth legal.

boutons_deux
12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
"having a big ass surgeon general's warning on every cigarette box doesn't stop 20% of the population from smoking."

Big Tobacco disagrees, and are litigating like hell to stop the packets being covered with explicit images of tobacco's ravages.

BlackSwordsMan
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
because the government thinks it knows better than us and legalizes drugs it can tax and makes those illegal that it can't

BlackSwordsMan
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
really weed worse than oxycotin?

Boris
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

I've yet to see a stoned person act retarded. You, on the other hand, I could see that happening.

baseline bum
12-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Vaporize that shit then. Or eat it. The only thing bad about marijuana is that it stays in your system for months on end and will guarantee a failed drug test when looking for work.

baseline bum
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Keeping drugs illegal just makes the affects worse since drug dealers don't check ID. When you were in high school, which was harder to get? Weed or whiskey? Hell, cocaine was easier to get than booze.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
You cited certain countries where it hasn't been much of a problem.
Alcohol consumption isn't a problem in america?

Alcohol consumption is a bigger problem in America among 18-21 year olds than any other country by far yet America is one of very few places where it's illegal for an 18-21 year old to drink alcohol. What an odd trend.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Keeping drugs illegal just makes the affects worse since drug dealers don't check ID. When you were in high school, which was harder to get? Weed or whiskey? Hell, cocaine was easier to get than booze.
I've never even thought of that but great point. Getting weed in high school was 100x easier than getting booze.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
"having a big ass surgeon general's warning on every cigarette box doesn't stop 20% of the population from smoking."

Big Tobacco disagrees, and are litigating like hell to stop the packets being covered with explicit images of tobacco's ravages.
The ill effects of smoking couldn't be easier to know about than they are now. I don't blame the tobacco companies for being able to profit off the 20% of retarded Americans who still smoke.

mingus
12-05-2011, 01:27 PM

and you think if these drugs were to be legal there wouldn't be an abundance of people who are of age to buy that wouldn't sell it on the side to people who aren't of age to make a buck, just as they do now?

mingus
12-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Alcohol consumption isn't a problem in america?

Alcohol consumption is a bigger problem in America among 18-21 year olds than any other country by far yet America is one of very few places where it's illegal for an 18-21 year old to drink alcohol. What an odd trend.

alcohol can be bought very convienently at a store with no drug middleman to have to go through, and it's cheap. you want to do that with meth, crack, cocain, and heroin. don't expect the trend to be much different if that ever happens.

doesn't matter with alcohol. i aleady explained that siblings and willing-to-help-get-you-drunk parents are in abundance in the states. siblings and parents aren't "middlemen". alcohol might as well be legal in the states being that it's so easy to get.

baseline bum
12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
and you think if these drugs were to be legal there wouldn't be an abundance of people who are of age to buy that wouldn't sell it on the side to people who aren't of age to make a buck, just as they do now?

I never knew any alcohol dealers in school tbh.

man on wire
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Vaporize that shit then. Or eat it. The only thing bad about marijuana is that it stays in your system for months on end and will guarantee a failed drug test when looking for work.

If they test your hair that is correct but for a urine test you can clean out in a couple days.

mingus
12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I never knew any alcohol dealers in school tbh.

No, but you had fake IDs and you had older siblings of friends who bought be for you for parties. A whole lot of more than willing parents to help out too. You'd probably just as easily be able to buy drugs with a fake ID and since parents and older siblings probably wouldn't do it because of the nature of these drugs, dealing drugs of this sort would still be profitable.

Blake
12-05-2011, 03:06 PM
No, but you had fake IDs and you had older siblings of friends who bought be for you for parties. A whole lot of more than willing parents to help out too. You'd probably just as easily be able to buy drugs with a fake ID and since parents and older siblings probably wouldn't do it because of the nature of these drugs, dealing drugs of this sort would still be profitable.

doubtful

Wild Cobra
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Maybe I should have added qualifiers. Alcohol does have bad effects on others, but isn't something that can permanently disable someone like some drugs can. I believe in personal responsibility. If someone wants to be addicted to drugs that make them such that they cannot support themselves financially, then that's fine with me, as long as they have a trust fund or something that takes care of them rather than tax payers having to.

baseline bum
12-05-2011, 03:14 PM

What part of it being harder to buy legal drugs when one needs to find someone 21 to get them is so hard for you to understand? Wow, it's not 100% foolproof.

mingus
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
What part of it being harder to buy legal drugs when one needs to find someone 21 to get them is so hard for you to understand? Wow, it's not 100% foolproof.

My point was that underage people wont have a hard time buying it at all when they can buy it off someone. And I explained to you why you never had to buy alcohol from a dealer at school. I guess you never got wasted enough to find out getting beer in High School was a POC w/ older siblings and accommodating parents.

It has nothing to do with not getting anything. I just don't agree with your stance.

koriwhat
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
i never needed anyone 21 or older to get alcohol for me when i was a kid... same goes for lsd, mush, bud, and pills. it was all easy to get, easier than learning to ride a bike and that's pretty damn easy to learn.

JoeChalupa
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Isn't today the anniversary of the end of prohibition?

Axe Murderer
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
i never needed anyone 21 or older to get alcohol for me when i was a kid

oh

ChuckD
12-05-2011, 08:05 PM

What does anyone do that doesn't affect others? That's not a realistic goal.

Making drugs legal would DRASTICALLY reduce the affect that drug use by an individual has on others. Anything that is traded on any black market automatically draws and incites violence by it's very nature. People don't have gunfights over the sale and distribution of alcohol, but they used to during prohibition.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 08:15 PM
If someone wants to be addicted to drugs that make them such that they cannot support themselves financially, then that's fine with me, as long as they have a trust fund or something that takes care of them rather than tax payers having to.
Quit acting stupid. I've already said multiple times in this thread that I support legalizing meth and then cutting off all meth addicts. The "I don't want addicts living off my tax dollars!" argument Republicans love to use when saying drugs should be kept illegal is dumb, no one ever said we should legalize drugs and then use tax dollars to support the addicts, it's a strawman argument you guys use for whatever reason because you deep down want to control what people do to their bodies.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 08:19 PM
alcohol can be bought very convienently at a store with no drug middleman to have to go through, and it's cheap. you want to do that with meth, crack, cocain, and heroin. don't expect the trend to be much different if that ever happens.
You're not addressing what I'm saying.

18-21 year olds in nearly every European country CAN go buy alcohol conveniently with no middle man, American 18-21 year olds cannot, by your logic that means European 18-21 year olds should have more of an alcohol problem than American 18-21 year olds when it's the exact opposite.

I've never met a Jew with the subpar intelligence you have tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM
It's funny all these Republicans who claim to be about "smaller government!" think the "smaller government" they support should still have the power to tell people what they can/cannot do to their bodies. If you really were about personal responsibility, you wouldn't want the government keeping drugs illegal and spending billions to enforce laws and help addicts who can't help themselves.

From what I can see Ron Paul is the only Republican running who truly believes in smaller government.

koriwhat
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM

:lol

mingus
12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
You're not addressing what I'm saying.

18-21 year olds in nearly every European country CAN go buy alcohol conveniently with no middle man, American 18-21 year olds cannot, by your logic that means European 18-21 year olds should have more of an alcohol problem than American 18-21 year olds when it's the exact opposite.

doesn't matter with alcohol, already explained that before. siblings and willing-to-help-get-you-drunk parents are many in the states. older siblings and accommodating parents aren't middlmen. alcohol might as well me legal here to 18-21 year olds. all you have to do is go to any weekend high school or college party to find that out.

all you would be doing is sending a message to more young kids that these dangerous drugs are alright. of course that's not what illegalization would be advocating but that's how kid would take it. it might not effect adult population that much but the youth would get the wrong idea about it.

mavsfan1000
12-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Too bad alcohol isn't illegal. I definitely let alcohol get in the way sometimes of being productive.

DMC
12-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Tbh, we spend more tax dollars supporting prescription drug abusers (we even pay for the drugs) than we do illegal drug abusers. Every other woman over 45 is on some kind of prescription pain med, and a shit load of them are chasing it with alcohol.

And I am all about not telling anyone what they can do with their own bodies, but I am also all about letting these fuckers die in their own excrement before I would toss a quarter at them.

You cannot have it both ways, where you get to tweak off and I get to pay for it.

In fact, it's just basic common sense that intervention and help isn't a spigot you can turn on and off at your leisure. If you want a system that is built around helping people, you need to accept that someone is going to control aspects of your life, because obviously you need it and asked for it.

mavs>spurs
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
You cannot have it both ways, where you get to tweak off and I get to pay for it.

They beg to differ.

Tee, hee

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
doesn't matter with alcohol, already explained that before. siblings and willing-to-help-get-you-drunk parents are many in the states. older siblings and accommodating parents aren't middlmen. alcohol might as well me legal here to 18-21 year olds. all you have to do is go to any weekend high school or college party to find that out.

all you would be doing is sending a message to more young kids that these dangerous drugs are alright. of course that's not what illegalization would be advocating but that's how kid would take it. it might not effect adult population that much but the youth would get the wrong idea about it.
It's not illegal to chug laundry detergent, that means the government must be :crysending a message that chugging laundry detergent is alright:cry

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
And I am all about not telling anyone what they can do with their own bodies, but I am also all about letting these fuckers die in their own excrement before I would toss a quarter at them.
Why do all people who support illegal drugs suck at reading? I said multiple times I support legalizing all drugs AND letting all the junkies die.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Too bad alcohol isn't illegal. I definitely let alcohol get in the way sometimes of being productive.
You are such a pussy it's unreal.