PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any English bulldog breeders in SA?

Trill Clinton
12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I've done my research but wanted to see if anybody on ST were breeders or know of any affordable breeders?

PuttPutt
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
You lost lots of people at "affordable" lol

CubanSucks
12-07-2011, 01:19 AM
the words affordable and English Bulldog don't mix

Even if you get lucky enough to purchase one for a reasonable price, you're almost guaranteed to spend hundreds and eventually thousands on health issues. Everything about them (mainly their heart and digestive system) is fucked up because of how unnaturally they were breed. You'll have an entire cabinet full of meds just for the dog. You'll most likely have to dig shit out from under their tight tails every once and a while and rub a cream on their facial wrinkles. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're avg life expectancy is only 10 yrs

with that said, there isn't a more fun playful dog you can get. It's crazy how super sensitive they are too. If you even raise your voice at a game on tv they'll think they've done something wrong and probably try to put their dopy looking heads on your lap. Oh, and they get SUPER paranoid when they're in cages or tight spots. The one we had if you accidentally bumped into the cage when she was in it she'd flip out, not charge or anything, just go batshit in the cage and not come out for awhile

Kai
12-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Love them fat dogs.

Bender
12-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I've always considered getting one, love the way they look. Had a friend back during high school whos family owned one.
Dont know how much of Cubans post is gospel or not...

I wouldn't keep a dog in a cage, anyway...

leemajors
12-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I've always considered getting one, love the way they look. Had a friend back during high school whos family owned one.
Dont know how much of Cubans post is gospel or not...

i believe they are also prone to hip dysplaysia as well. he is pretty spot on.

xellos88330
12-07-2011, 09:19 AM
The English bulldog is expensive as hell. You won't find them cheap. I looked everywhere and couldn't find any here in SA.

Trill Clinton
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Yea I know they're not cheap, I was hoping someone on here knew somebody who could hook a brotha up.

My friend has one and paid $1500 for her smh. I can't do it, maybe $1000 but nothing more. Thing is, he doesn't know jack shit about dogs. He keeps her in a cage and she is HUGE. Doesn't walk her but lets her run the backyard all day.

I know about all the medical problems as well. I want more because they're bad ass and I want to breed them.

pass1st
12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Tbh, if you want to get money and have a good dog, save up 3000 and buy a champion line male.

I have a GSD, he came from a famous bloodline, and I sire him for 500 dollars each or 1 puppy. I get pretty much two people a week wanting him to sire their bitch, a good way to make extra cash on the side. It's a lot better than breeding since once the dog is done, you get your money and you're through. No vet bills, dealing with dead puppies, feeding all those dogs, etc.

On top of that, you will be buying a dog that will most likely be free of any major health problems with good care. English bulldogs are in high demand as well, so it wouldn't be too hard to make your money back.

2cents

Trill Clinton
12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Tbh, if you want to get money and have a good dog, save up 3000 and buy a champion line male.

I have a GSD, he came from a famous bloodline, and I sire him for 500 dollars each or 1 puppy. I get pretty much two people a week wanting him to sire their bitch, a good way to make extra cash on the side. It's a lot better than breeding since once the dog is done, you get your money and you're through. No vet bills, dealing with dead puppies, feeding all those dogs, etc.

On top of that, you will be buying a dog that will most likely be free of any major health problems with good care. English bulldogs are in high demand as well, so it wouldn't be too hard to make your money back.

2cents

GSD is German shepherd, right? That was my second choice if I couldn't find a good deal on bulldog.

CubanSucks
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM

she loves sleeping in her cage. The cage is only locked at night but once it's opened she'll stay in there sleeping for another few hours

tbh I can't help but be skeptical when anyone casually talks about breeding dogs. That's a big problem in this country, and I guess even the entire world. What kind of people are the dogs gonna be sold to? What's gonna happen to any dogs that aren't sold? It's just really shitty to see people breed dogs at their own expense for the sake of making a ton of money. With all the dogs that are in clinics and have to be put down every day I don't see how it's even legal anymore.

pass1st
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, my favorite breed, have two of them. If you decide to get one of those instead, need to get a legit one because the crossbreeds get hip problems often and early.

leemajors
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
she loves sleeping in her cage. The cage is only locked at night but once it's opened she'll stay in there sleeping for another few hours

tbh I can't help but be skeptical when anyone casually talks about breeding dogs. That's a big problem in this country, and I guess even the entire world. What kind of people are the dogs gonna be sold to? What's gonna happen to any dogs that aren't sold? It's just really shitty to see people breed dogs at their own expense for the sake of making a ton of money. With all the dogs that are in clinics and have to be put down every day I don't see how it's even legal anymore.

I only get dogs from the shelter. My dad studs his lab out, and paid for the cost of training it easily doing so, but it feels right helping a shelter pup out.

Trill Clinton
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM

i see where you're coming from but most of those dogs in shelters are mutts. you rarely find a pure breed of with any value in shelters or walking the streets homeless. bulldogs have small litters anyway and they are in high demand so I highly doubt one would be over populating the earth with expensive breeds.

Trill Clinton
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah, my favorite breed, have two of them. If you decide to get one of those instead, need to get a legit one because the crossbreeds get hip problems often and early.

will look into it, 'preciate ya:toast

Spurstro
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM

An interesting read to follow up this point....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/can-the-bulldog-be-saved.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=magazine

Big P
12-07-2011, 07:23 PM
A buddy of mine had 3 of them....nothing but medical problems and he bought them from a breeder and had the papers.

desflood
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
An interesting read to follow up this point....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/can-the-bulldog-be-saved.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=magazine
That is a good read. I found one part particularly interesting:

In his 1845 book “The Dog,” the veterinarian William Youatt dismissed the bulldog in much the way many describe modern pit bulls: he wrote that the breed was “scarcely capable of any education” and “fitted for nothing but ferocity and combat.”

Spurstro
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
That is a good read. I found one part particularly interesting:

I didn't realize how much they have changed over the years until I read that piece.

Another quoate...

“Most can’t have sex without help — they’re too short and stocky. Most can’t give birth on their own — their heads are too big. A breed that has trouble doing those two things is, by definition, in trouble."

Geezerballer
12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
The famed English Bulldog... is mostly Chinese pug -- a show ring creation with legs so deformed it can barely walk, a jaw so undershot it cannot grab a Frisbee, and with a face so bracycephalic it cannot breathe. Add to these problems a deformed intestinal system (a by-product of achondroplasia or dwarfism) which makes the dog constantly fart, and a pig tail prone to infection, and you have a dog that considers its own death a blessed relief.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-much-is-that-bulldog-in-window.html

Great plan.

DMC
12-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Useless dogs. Any non-working or non-hunting dog is completely useless. It's a food consumption, shit producing vet bill.

CubanSucks
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Useless dogs. Any non-working or non-hunting dog is completely useless. It's a food consumption, shit producing vet bill.

nice logic

useless in the same way that video games, tv, movies, fireworks, etc. are, sure

you must be a stone cold badass who only eats, sleeps, and works

cantthinkofanything
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
you rarely find a pure breed of with any value in shelters or walking the streets homeless.

you must have a fucked up definition of value in a dog