PDA

View Full Version : 21 Back to Backs & 3 games in a row twice !!!

disciple
12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
All I can say is we better have depth and lots of youth.

Dex
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

timtonymanu
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
How many DNP-CDs do you think Timmy gets this season?

Obstructed_View
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
How many DNP-CDs do you think Timmy gets this season?

That's not really the issue, it's how many DNP-CDs Leonard and Splitter get.

gospursgojas
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Awesome

ducks
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
lakers have one set of backtobacktoback at the start of the season
what a fucking joke

MaNu4Tres
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
40 of the Spurs' 66 games are part of a set (back-to-back or back-to-back-to-back). Gonna be a grind, for players and beat writer.

ducks
12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
should have done 50 games not 66

The Truth #6
12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Is this when the wheels fall off? Yikes.

The Truth #6
12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Bonner will probably average 45 minutes a night.

objective
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
40 of the Spurs' 66 games are part of a set (back-to-back or back-to-back-to-back). Gonna be a grind, for players and beat writer.

Sounds like McDonald's gonna need a drink. :drunk

MaNu4Tres
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM

" The money is the motive."

objective
12-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Very Accurate.

Anyone want to guess on an over/under for Splitter+Leonard DNP-CDs?

How about more minutes: Bonner or Splitter?

Buddy Holly
12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm actually happy about this and see this as the proverbial glass being half full. With the games scheduled the way they are, it basically means Pop is going to be forced to play the bench/young guys more than he normally would.

I see Leonard, Anderson, Neal, Splitter(if he's still here), Joseph, Butler, Green, Blair (if he's still here), etc getting a ton of playing time they normally wouldn't have gotten in a regular 82 game season.

baseline bum
12-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Just reinforces my idea that it's time to blow it up right now when there is a great draft to look forward to and not in 2 years when it will most likely be shit and Parker/Ginobili won't have trade value.

objective
12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that Pop would find himself forced to play any young guys during the regular season. It would seem sensible, but that's all.

One glaring example of that is the b2b of Jan 2 & 3 in 2010. That was when Duncan played 36 minutes at the Wizards on the 2nd, then they went to Toronto on the 3rd.

As I've posted at other times on the forum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163169&page=2):

Jan 3rd game at Toronto when Duncan was on the second night of a road back-to-back. Instead of giving Duncan the game off and activating Mahinmi, or just giving Ratliff more time, Pop sat Duncan the entire first quarter, letting him stiffen up, then brought him in during the second when they were in a big hole.

Then he proceeded to grind Duncan down playing him 29 minutes of the possible 36 just to save the game, which didn't work. The Spurs still lost. There's your Mahinmi opportunity. The Spurs refused to give Mahinmi any chance, and that game was the ultimate proof. It was a meaningless January back end of a back2back, but still Duncan was sacrificed for a loss, and then they wonder why he breaks down later in the season.

Duncan wasn't subbed in until 10 minutes left in the second. By the time he was in a Spurs offensive possession they were down by 12. In the remaining 34 minutes he was grinding for 29 of them, a pace of 41 minutes in a 4-quarter game. AND the start time for the Toronto game was only 23 hours after the start time of the game the day before at the Wizards.

So not only was Duncan put in the game after sitting cold for about 40 minutes, he played a pro-rated heavier work load with less rest during his actual playtime, digging the Spurs out of double digit hole only to still lose, and on short, short rest on the road.

Ridiculous. If Isiah or any other coach with a sketchy rep would have done something like that they would have absolutely killed for it. And deservedly so.

ducks
12-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Just reinforces my idea that it's time to blow it up right now when there is a great draft to look forward to and not in 2 years when it will most likely be shit and Parker/Ginobili won't have trade value.
splitter and ginobila for drumb role for bosh

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Lol I think I remember that Toronto game. Was that Roko Ukic night?

objective
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Lol I think I remember that Toronto game. Was that Roko Ukic night?

nope, no Roko. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AnRNIy3k8NQInRpRFudtQ3AoPKB4?gid=201 0010328)

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Yeah you're right wrong game. I remember that one as well though.

tmtcsc
12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Our 4 oldest guys are:

McDyess
Duncan
Ginobili
Bonner

Other than those 4 guys, we're pretty young. Somehow, I think we'll be ok. Bonner doesn't exert much effort, Tim is less of a factor and we have guards to back up Ginobili when he's winded. Dice may not even be here.

Oh and yes, 66 games is stupid. Should have been 50. That's a realistic number to put the players through. Back to the greed. :greedy

baseline bum
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
parker+ginobila for drumb role for

Like I said in the other thread, I'd move Tony to the Clippers for their Minnesota pick (probably will be top 5) and a signed DeAndre Jordan. It would give the Spurs a starting-quality center, a high lottery pick in one of the best drafts in years, and probably a low lottery pick when they finish as the 9 or 10 seed in the conference without Parker. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge Parker fan and I think he's the best player on the team now, but unless the Spurs are able to make a really big move like Dallas landing Chandler last year, there isn't much hope of a title and you might as well not get stuck in no-mans land with no options.

baseline bum
12-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Of course if they can land a Nene, a Chandler, or a Varejao to give them some real defense inside then I would much rather see them compete for a title for the next couple of years. Not shitty inconsistent Kaman though.

NASpurs
Drumb role? Are you fucking kidding me?

DesignatedT
Like I said in the other thread, I'd move Tony to the Clippers for their Minnesota pick (probably will be top 5) and a signed DeAndre Jordan. It would give the Spurs a starting-quality center, a high lottery pick in one of the best drafts in years, and probably a low lottery pick when they finish as the 9 or 10 seed in the conference without Parker. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge Parker fan and I think he's the best player on the team now, but unless the Spurs are able to make a really big move like Dallas landing Chandler last year, there isn't much hope of a title and you might as well not get stuck in no-mans land with no options.

If we still had George Hill this would be more appealing as well.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 12:29 AM
The other issue here are injuries. A mild injury that keeps you off for two weeks might mean missing 10+ games. To be frank, I want them to give it a shot for TD and Manu, but if either gets dinged up and has to be out for a prolonged time, this is the perfect season to pull the plug and tank.

objective
12-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Man, this would the season to tank. If the worst happened and TD, Manu and Parker were missing lots of games, you could still feed huge minutes to Splitter, Blair, Leonard, Anderson and Joseph, lose a bunch of games, but build valuable experience for them. And be better for the future if the big 3 could hang on for another year.

Fireball
12-07-2011, 01:09 AM
The last two years I watched 95% of the games live via League Pass Broadband - but I don't know if I can keep this up with that tough schedule. European Spurs fans like me will have a hard time getting up in the middle of the night that often.

spurs1990
12-07-2011, 01:13 AM

This season will be even more comical than 1999.

Best case scenario is a mid-season trade, getting a decent player/pick in return, and then fall to a record that will keep the Spurs in the 'running' for a top 5 pick. Hopefully both Ginobili/Parker as neither will carry any value in 2013.

I'm actually happy about this and see this as the proverbial glass being half full. With the games scheduled the way they are, it basically means Pop is going to be forced to play the bench/young guys more than he normally would.

I see Leonard, Anderson, Neal, Splitter(if he's still here), Joseph, Butler, Green, Blair (if he's still here), etc getting a ton of playing time they normally wouldn't have gotten in a regular 82 game season.

Exactly. May this be an extended training camp for the real season in 2013 and beyond.

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 01:51 AM
To be clear, it's NOT 21 back to backs and 2 back to back to back's!

You have to exclude the b2b2b's when you count the b2b's because you are already counting them as 3 games in 3 nights. Adding them up is incorrect.

The total is 17 b2b's and 2 b2b2b's.

spurs10
12-07-2011, 02:18 AM
How many b2b's are in a typical season....this is over half the games???!!

Fireball
12-07-2011, 02:22 AM
How many b2b's are in a typical season....this is over half the games???!!

I think last season the Spurs had 17 B2Bs overall, but other teams had more than 20. So its less games but around the same number of B2B games.

spurs10
12-07-2011, 02:33 AM
I think last season the Spurs had 17 B2Bs overall, but other teams had more than 20. So its less games but around the same number of B2B games.

Fireball
12-07-2011, 06:14 AM
I just looked at the Spurs schedule a little closer and although it really looks tough, one can be sure that the other teams don't have it easier.

Spurs have 21 B2B games (I count the third of B2B2B also as a B2B), but only 6 are at home and 15 on the road (thats the only huge discrepancy I make out of this schedule)
Spurs will play 23 teams, which themselves are on the second night of a B2B, with 11 home and 12 road games for the Spurs (interestingly all three games against OKC fit into that category)
9 of the Spurs B2B games will be against teams which are on the second night of a B2B as well (4 home games, 5 road games)
Spurs have two stretches of B2B2B games, but will also meet two teams which are on the third night of their three game stretch (namely the Thunder and the Magic)
First B2B2B stretch will be against the Mavericks, Hornets and 76ers - Pop will be pleased to see that his team will play the first game at home, the next one on the road only to return to the AT&T Center for the third game
Second B2B2B will be against Warriors, Lakers and Kings (all on the road) - so be prepared that Pop will not play Timmy and Manu against the Lakers
Only six games of the Spurs will be against teams which had more than 1 day rest themselves before that game (Spurs will play a Miami team which had three days off)
Some odd things were already mentioned, such as all games vs. the Lakers are in April and of course non of these games will be a B2B for the Lakers
Its gonna be Rockets overkill in the first 2,5 months, as we not only play them twice in preseason, but there will be 4 regular season games with the last one on February 1st
Other teams the Spurs have to face 4 times apart from their division rivals are the Jazz and the Suns
Of the Eastern conference teams the Spurs play only the 76ers and the Cavaliers twice, and sadly the games against the Celtics and the Heat are in the road.
The game against the Pacers feat. Geroge Hill will be a home game for the Spurs - so a nice homecoming for George is a given
Rodeo Road Trip will be nine games in 17 days, with 5 Western conference and 4 Eastern conference opponents
The longest stretch of home games will directly follow the RRT with 7 games in 15 days - visiting are e.g. the Bulls and the Knicks

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
I just looked at the Spurs schedule a little closer and although it really looks tough, one can be sure that the other teams don't have it easier.

Spurs have 21 B2B games (I count the third of B2B2B also as a B2B), but only 6 are at home and 15 on the road (thats the only huge discrepancy I make out of this schedule)
Spurs will play 23 teams, which themselves are on the second night of a B2B, with 11 home and 12 road games for the Spurs (interestingly all three games against OKC fit into that category)
9 of the Spurs B2B games will be against teams which are on the second night of a B2B as well (4 home games, 5 road games)
Spurs have two stretches of B2B2B games, but will also meet two teams which are on the third night of their three game stretch (namely the Thunder and the Magic)
First B2B2B stretch will be against the Mavericks, Hornets and 76ers - Pop will be pleased to see that his team will play the first game at home, the next one on the road only to return to the AT&T Center for the third game
Second B2B2B will be against Warriors, Lakers and Kings (all on the road) - so be prepared that Pop will not play Timmy and Manu against the Lakers
Only six games of the Spurs will be against teams which had more than 1 day rest themselves before that game (Spurs will play a Miami team which had three days off)
Some odd things were already mentioned, such as all games vs. the Lakers are in April and of course non of these games will be a B2B for the Lakers
Its gonna be Rockets overkill in the first 2,5 months, as we not only play them twice in preseason, but there will be 4 regular season games with the last one on February 1st
Other teams the Spurs have to face 4 times apart from their division rivals are the Jazz and the Suns
Of the Eastern conference teams the Spurs play only the 76ers and the Cavaliers twice, and sadly the games against the Celtics and the Heat are in the road.
The game against the Pacers feat. Geroge Hill will be a home game for the Spurs - so a nice homecoming for George is a given
Rodeo Road Trip will be nine games in 17 days, with 5 Western conference and 4 Eastern conference opponents
The longest stretch of home games will directly follow the RRT with 7 games in 15 days - visiting are e.g. the Bulls and the Knicks

Thanks for the work Fireball.
This is going to be tough, especially for TD and Manu

Fireball
12-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the work Fireball.
This is going to be tough, especially for TD and Manu

You're welcome ... I have much time to spare while I am recovering from knee surgery (torn ACL).

You're right about Manu and TD. It hurts the Spurs a little more that their core players are older than the cores of other good teams.

Still I see the Spurs squeeze out a 41-25 record ... of course the free agency and trade period results may change that estimation.

silverblk mystix
12-07-2011, 08:12 AM
another reason I would have rather they cancelled the entire season instead of giving the fans a fucked product....

a lot of garbage games where teams are just out of gas, injuries, etc....

the only positive way to look at this - is of course- that every team will have the same advantage and/or the same disadvantage....

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
This is actually a relatively easy schedule, all things considered. The Spurs get "extra" games against the Jazz, Suns, Sixers, and Cavs, none of which are very good. Also, having only 6 games with a rest deficit will take some of the sting out of this crazily compressed schedule.

DMC
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Funny, if George was traded from the Lakers instead of the Spurs, he would be booed off the floor in LA, not given a "homecoming".

Not surprising though, since they boo their own team on Christmas Day.