PDA

View Full Version : More small forwards to add to the rumor mill: Battier, Hill mulling Spurs

Uriel
12-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Of all the free-agency conversations to eavesdrop on, I'd pick the ones between Shane Battier, Grant Hill and their respective suitors. Both players are as bright as they come in the league, and you can bet they had plenty of sharp and pressing questions as they talked to team officials Monday.

Both small forwards are well-respected veterans with plenty left to offer, and sources close to both players say they have yet to make up their minds. While Hill has said the chances are good that he'll return to Phoenix, he has narrowed his list to the Suns, Knicks, Bulls and Spurs, with the Warriors, Celtics and Clippers trailing. The Knicks would seem unlikely, however, as sources have said New York is offering only one-year deals in order to preserve salary-cap space for next summer when Paul, Howard and Nets point guard Deron Williams might be available as free agents.

Battier's list still includes the Heat, Spurs, Pacers, Raptors, Grizzlies, Celtics and his former Memphis team. The Thunder have also had discussions with either Battier or his camp. The team-to-player conversations might matter more with players like these than with so many others, as a clear understanding of roles, goals and, of course, financial incentive will come into play.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/12/05/lakers.chris.paul/1.html

lefty
12-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh well that's it

I've had enough

Go Lakers or Heat !

mudyez
12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
u know, there are allways those guys, I immediately thing: "that is spurs material...I want them and we will want them!".

historical:
kevin willis
antonio mcdyess
michael finley
charles smith
terrell brandon

dont ask me why...its just, that they are good people without tats and prisontime spent.

all but brandon came here, AFTER I put them on the list! Cant remember beeing wrong aside from maybe terrell brandon.

hill and battier are on the list right now!
prince, andre miller and elton brand as well.

book it!

they will come!

...but probably only after they lost their swagger and not now.

Leetonidas
12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
u know, there are allways those guys, I immediately thing: "that is spurs material...I want them and we will want them!".

historical:
kevin willis
antonio mcdyess
michael finley
charles smith
terrell brandon

dont ask me why...its just, that they are good people without tats and prisontime spent.

all but brandon came here, AFTER I put them on the list! Cant remember beeing wrong aside from maybe terrell brandon.

book it!

they will come!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I Heart Ginobili
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM

historical:
kevin willis
antonio mcdyess
michael finley
charles smith
terrell brandon

book it!

they will come!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those guys lost their swagger years ago.

The_Worlds_finest
12-07-2011, 09:45 AM
parker
manu
battier/prince
duncan
kaman....

why not..

mudyez
12-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those guys lost their swagger years ago.

I thought about writing the same right away. :)

But Battier should be a nice player for about 5 more years and Hill could give us about 2 good years as a stopper/shooter.

Its not like Willis, Finley or McDyess came in their prime. (and you dont get such players in their prime easily, but its fun to see, that the Spurs also want them lter in their carriers)

mudyez
12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
parker
manu
battier/prince
duncan
kaman....

why not..

Wow, thats some old lineup...but yeah, if we want one more run (I would not do it, but after all, we could just try it for timmy), that or some combo of Hill+Battier/Prince would be the way to do it.

Kaman? Uhm, ok (but just because he is a german fellowman of me ;-))

Russ
12-07-2011, 10:00 AM
The Spurs have a history of FAs "mulling" them . . .

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
According to Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports, on an appearance on NBATV Preview, he claimed the Spurs have also made overtures toward Tayshawn Prince. Perhaps that's a sleeper name to keep an eye on.

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
We just need to start keeping a list of what SFs the Spurs have not talked to: it would be a lot shorter.

YODA
12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Sean elliott_ maybe? lol

shraediggz
12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
What are we, The David Khan of free agent small forwards. Pretty soon we'll have more small forwards than Minnesota has Point Guards.

Do any of these guys play PF or Center? How much time is FO going to focus on addressing the SF spot. I thought the addition of Leonard was supposed to shore up that spot. Now they're talking about more additions? If that's the case, why did we bother trading Hill away for someone whose rotation minutes are essentially going to be given to a free agent.

Hill could have helped us shore up another position in a different trade. It will be a waste if we end up acquiring yet another sf.

rascal
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I thought about writing the same right away. :)

But Battier should be a nice player for about 5 more years and Hill could give us about 2 good years as a stopper/shooter.

Its not like Willis, Finley or McDyess came in their prime. (and you dont get such players in their prime easily, but its fun to see, that the Spurs also want them lter in their carriers)

This is why the spurs don't win anymore, going after over the hill vets who can't keep up with the younger more athletic teams in the playoffs.

DMC
12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Why don't the Spurs just purchase or build a retirement community near SA and house all the free agent hopefuls there?

I mean, we're always picking from Shady Acres.

George Gervin's Afro
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
The Spurs have a history of FAs "mulling" them . . .

this

urunobili
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
my dream would be Tyshaun Prince...

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Tayshaun at the MLE would be a great consolation if Butler doesn't work out.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Why don't the Spurs just purchase or build a retirement community near SA and house all the free agent hopefuls there?

I think you mean Musty Pines.

Steve-O-Matic
12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd take Battier over Butler.

Mugen
12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
the full MLE for anybody but Caron would be overpaying. Id rather let Kawahi start and pick up a cheap backup.

5in10
12-07-2011, 05:15 PM
This was news from like 2 days ago, and already in another thread. The FA thread.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 05:19 PM
so basically spurs are after every available fa sf lol

Stalin
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
spurs fo trying to make a tired old shit bag allstar team, it seems

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM

When they're not picking from Shady Acres, they're soliciting help from Sunny Hills.

angelbelow
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Hows Battier nowadays? Can he still defend well? Can he still stretch the floor with his 3 pointer? I feel like he might be past his prime and fans are just after him because they have the Tayshaun Prince syndrome.

GSH
12-07-2011, 11:49 PM

Nobody has even mentioned Anthony Parker. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see either him or Grant Hill in a Spurs jersey on Christmas.

xtremesteven33
12-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Battier or Hill would be a great signing. Battier and Hill have a good post up game and can shoot the 3. Both have a high IQ and wont be afraid to take big shots.

Mel_13
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Hearing that Shane Battier is bound for the Miami Heat. Not strong enough to write a news story but no league talk of him going elsewhere.

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Dammit. still no real news of Spurs contacting Prince.

kjhip1
12-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Dammit. still no real news of Spurs contacting Prince.

SNEAKY SPURS!!!
:hat

DMC
12-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Mike Dunleavy Jr?

Anyone?

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Wow, getting Prince would be awesome.
I'd settle for Battier, but Prince would be perfect.

Russo21
12-08-2011, 05:55 AM
I like Dunleavy to. Haven't heard a word on his status. Prince, Battier, Hill, they're all enticing hey :-)

Gonna be one exciting silly season for the spurs and the NBA

kobyz
12-08-2011, 06:15 AM
i will be much more pleased if we hold back our money and wait to go after Wilson Chandler when he finish his business in China, in my opinion the most imposing free agent SF, he's a rising star, already proven as a quality player and good amount of upside left in him, i love his attributes and fit for us, he's fundamentally sound, become solid spot up shooter, impressive improving as a creator and a scorer, can play 3 positions, smooth enough to play both wing positions and tough enough to be a small ball 4, engage defensively with good mentality!

kobyz
12-08-2011, 06:15 AM
i will be much more pleased if we hold back our money and wait to go after Wilson Chandler when he finish his business in China, in my opinion the most imposing free agent SF, he's a rising star, already proven as a quality player and good amount of upside left in him, i love his attributes and fit for us, he's fundamentally sound, become solid spot up shooter, impressive improving as a creator and a scorer, can play 3 positions, smooth enough to play both wing positions and tough enough to be a small ball 4, engage defensively with good mentality!

Russo21
12-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Kobyz you had me until you said small ball 4 lol i hate that shit. But yeah he'd be awesome as a 3 lol

kobyz
12-08-2011, 06:32 AM
i also hate to paly small ball but i'm being aware that Pop still on the team and if we need to accept that it's somthing indispensable with him and to compromise, Chandler would be favored for that role.

kobyz
12-08-2011, 06:32 AM
i also hate to paly small ball but i'm being aware that Pop still on the team and if we need to accept that it's somthing indispensable with him and to compromise, Chandler would be favored for that role.

Russo21
12-08-2011, 07:55 AM
To True

ohmwrecker
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Any team coached by Pop is going to play some small ball. At least Chandler's skill set is better suited for it than Jefferson or Finley.

Mel_13
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Let's Go #Heat!!!!!

http://twitter.com/ShaneBattier

Mel_13
12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
The Knicks are on the verge of landing Grant Hill, according to two NBA sources.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_on_verge_of_acquiring_grant_Z4zAsnEzot25UPR WQR85SJ

jeebus
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Let's Go #Heat!!!!!

http://twitter.com/ShaneBattier

That's not a surprise

Xevious
12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
None of these guys are going to get the Spurs over the hump. Why waive RJ just to blow your wad on a vet who's best days are long behind him? I just hope some trade package is in the works to acquire another big.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
That's not a surprise

Absolutely no surprise, but Hill going to NY would be. I hoped that he would come to San Antonio if he decides to leave his precious home Phoenix. Another one going East.

But losing Battier also weakens the Grizzlies, so I am fine with that ...

jeebus
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Absolutely no surprise, but Hill going to NY would be. I hoped that he would come to San Antonio if he decides to leave his precious home Phoenix. Another one going East.

Sounds like Hill is going after a ring now but with NY? That team plays no defense and is doomed to a first or second round exit. I know they're trying to be like the Heat but Carmelo and Amare are the 2 worst players to build around.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Sounds like Hill is going after a ring now but with NY? That team plays no defense and is doomed to a first or second round exit. I know they're trying to be like the Heat but Carmelo and Amare are the 2 worst players to build around.

Thats exactly why I would not understand Hill going there. Sad ... after losing the one G.Hill I looked forward to replace him with the other G.Hill.

Russ
12-08-2011, 11:05 AM

The Grizzlies look to be a one year wonder along the lines of the Hornets in '08. They aren't building toward anything and they'll be lucky to sneak into the playoffs this year (if they do).

To compare them as an up and comer to OKC (as some have done) is a big stretch.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
The Grizzlies look to be a one year wonder along the lines of the Hornets in '08. They aren't building toward anything and they'll be lucky to sneak into the playoffs this year (if they do).

To compare them as an up and comer to OKC (as some have done) is a big stretch.

Hopefully you are right. I just wrote in another thread that Rudy Gay returning in the lineup may actually hurt them a little bit, because they will go away from the pounding the rock inside mentality they had last season.

Sausage
12-08-2011, 11:36 AM
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Just landed. Told unequivocally by source that Grant Hill has NOT yet decided between Suns, Knicks, Bulls and Spurs.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Ok, now what happens both G. Hill and C. Butler say yes to the Bulls?

Spursfan092120
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM

We send a LOT of Mexican food and David Robinson to Tayshaun Prince's house for a little "one on one."

DesignatedT
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
What's going on with Prince. We have to be making a run at this guy.

MaNu4Tres
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

I have a feeling Butler will be the next domino to fall, then Hill will make his decision.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a feeling Butler will be the next domino to fall, then Hill will make his decision.

What I want to know is the negotiation tactics of the teams. Do they talk to Butler and say you are our first choice and we offer you this. Then they talk with Hill and say you are our choice if Butler does not sign with us? That does not sound very convincing. Is it first come first serve?

MannyIsGod
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I think - even given his age - Grant Hill is my first choice.

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Best option is Prince. We all know pops going play small ball. He's 6'8/6'9. He's a pretty decent shotblocker & rebounder. Would not hate small ball nearly as much if Prince was at the 4. Just hope spurs are staying under the radar with prince & talks with butler & Howard are just a smokescreen.

crc21209
12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Free-agent forward Caron Butler told the San Antonio Express-News Wednesday that he considers the Spurs his personal “frontrunners” for his services.

Butler met with Spurs officials Wednesday in San Antonio.

And later, Butler told the Express-News that he was pleased with how the meeting turned out.

“The meeting went great, I enjoyed it,” he said.

Butler said he is considering five teams — Detroit, Chicago, New Jersey, the Los Angeles Clippers and the Spurs.

But the “first-class” amenties he saw in San Antonio apparently have swayed him in his personal pecking order.

“I think the Spurs are the frontrunners, based on conversations I’ve had today,” he said.

lefty
12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Woohoo

By the way, Price is staying with the Pistons

SpursDynasty85
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
*Great News. This guy was definitely a nuisance in the playoffs against the spurs and a handful before he got injured. Definitely Spurs material.