PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Spurs to use amnesty on RJ!

Pages : [1] 2

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 01:37 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Spurs have decided to use the amnesty clause on contract of Richard Jefferson, league sources tell Y! Sports. He has 3 years, $30M left.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Aye. At first I wanted to use the amnesty on Jefferson, but now I had really hoped they had found a deal before it came to this. At least he's gone. More room for Leonard, Anderson, and whichever FA comes in.

benefactor
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Happy day.

Texas_Ranger
Good.

benefactor
Oh...and lol Pop, lol RC.

timtonymanu
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
So does this mean Spurs are gonna go with what they got from last year plus new starting small forward and Leonard?

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Makes perfect sense.

This would explain the constant flirtations with every available free agent SF.

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Who the hell do we have lined up for SF?

Caron butler just tweeted: Just met with Spurs great visit first class all the way....

Chirs broussard just tweeted: Caron Butler's choices: SA or CHI for the $5 million midlevel exception, or NJ or LA Clippers for about $7 mill/year...

benefactor
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Interesting that this news coincides with the Caron Butler meeting.

lcroock
Wow, that sounds like Butler or Howard is signed up. Not sure how we can get a big man I to guard the rim now...

timtonymanu
Pop and RC have to be pretty confident that the Spurs will land a small forward unless they're gonna go with starting Leonard.

jermaine
Yeeees Jesus.

tim_duncan_fan
12-07-2011, 01:44 PM
He's gone!

I'm so happy I may cry.

There is a god!

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Good Riddance

timvp
It was the right move. You get to save ~$6 million this season, get more money to throw at a free agent to improve the team and avoid doing some sort of ill-advised salary dumping trade.

adrienne
Who the hell do we have lined up for SF?

Caron butler just tweeted: Just met with Spurs great visit first class all the way....

Chirs broussard just tweeted: Caron Butler's choices: SA or CHI for the $5 million midlevel exception, or NJ or LA Clippers for about $7 mill/year...

Yeah, I was just going to say it sounded like the meeting with Caron went well. Sad to see him go, as he played well pre-injury and is a good guy. Think it could be a good situation for him in San Antonio, though. (If that is where he ends up)

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
oh caron please come here
:wow

crc21209
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Damn. The Spurs must be pretty confident that they are going to land one of the FA forwards Butler, Howard, Battier? Who's it gonna be guys?

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow, that sounds like Butler or Howard is signed up. Not sure how we can get a big man I to guard the rim now...

With the Clips offer of $7 mil per year, and with Chicago offering a better chance to win, I'd be surprised if Butler chose the Spurs.

Still, good riddance to RJ. I hope Pop and RC learned a valuable lesson from all this. You cannot forcefit a player, whose game and personality do not fit your standard profile template, into your organization.

eric365
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Great news for the spurs and great news for RJ.
It was a bad fit with the big 3 and now he has a chance to have the ball a lot more in another team.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
It was the right move. You get to save ~$6 million this season, get more money to throw at a free agent to improve the team and avoid doing some sort of ill-advised salary dumping trade.

So right off the bat they save $6 mill and can throw it at another free agent?

mando6599
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Does that mean the Spurs F.O. is willing to admit the RJ experiment was a failure? And then resigning him was too?

timvp
12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
So the Spurs paid RJ $54+ million for two very mediocre seasons. To put that in context, Bruce Bowen received less than half of that amount while with the Spurs despite playing in San Antonio for eight seasons. Talk about a got damn travesty . . .

MaNu4Tres
Good news :tu.

I assume Spurs are convinced they have Howard or Butler locked up.

Now the Spurs will have to get creative to get help inside. My guess is they have started offering McDyess' expiring/partially guaranteed and Blair to teams that have a big man they desire.

With knowledge of the salary value of the Spurs trading assets (McDyess/Blair), Anderson Varejao is probably high on the Spurs' short list of targets.

stephen jackson
Does that mean the Spurs F.O. is willing to admit the RJ experiment was a failure? And then resigning him was too?
there was really no one on the market at that time @sf
ja woulda started all year. but obviously they know it was a failure

crc21209
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Friday's first day of Free Agency just got a hell of alot more interesting.....

baseline bum
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
The only bad thing about this news is that now Bonner can't be amnestied. Dick was definitely the better player to drop though; hopefully he can get bid up to an MLE level payday in this heated market so Holt's not on the line for the entire contract.

Phenomanul
So the Spurs paid RJ $54+ million for two very mediocre seasons. To put that in context, Bruce Bowen received less than half of that amount while with the Spurs despite playing in San Antonio for eight seasons. Talk about a got damn travesty . . .

:wow :depressed

lcroock
Lets hope we're getting Butler, Battier, or Prince. No Josh Howard!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
This also may be a sign that they're confident with the bigs rotation...

Going after Butler, Howard, Battier, etc., and no word at all from any big men or possible trades. All this extra money they're saving is most likely going towards them. Unless their plan was to amnesty Jefferson AND make a deal for a big (most likely including Blair and McDyess).

jiggy_55
Obvious tweet but I'll post it anyways:

Spurs are aggressively in the market for a starting small forward, and amnesty allows them to use full mid-level exception of $5M per year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Tis a shame.

baseline bum
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM

You're being really kind in that assessment; no way in hell I can call a season which ends with the player glued to the bench for being completely worthless as mediocre. I would phrase it as So the Spurs paid RJ $54+ million for two epic failures of seasons.

Dex
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Not to mention that we, as fans, don't have to watch RJ out there wasting space any longer.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Woj also reporting Butler is #1 on the targeted FA list.

Fireball
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I would have preferred a trade ... now lets see which veteran small forward they can acquire. Again, I would like Battier, Hill and even Butler over Howard, Carter etc.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Wow! That puts everything in perspective. And further underscores what a collosal failure the RJ experiment was. A terrible fit for both parties.

Obviously RJ is the more talented player, but Bowen was clearly twice the ideal fit for this team than RJ ever was - and has the hardware to prove it.

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
You can't really say 54+ million because you have to discount whatever he's signed for now..

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Spurs primary target has been Caron Butler, who met w/ them today. However, they've been on phone with agents discussing several options.

Before visit to San Antonio, Butler preferred CHI $5M MLE over SAS, and Clippers over Nets at approx $7M for teams with space, source says.

Still, Spurs have always been great recruiting in these instances, so leave open possibility that they could've swayed Butler's thinking.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Meh kudos to the F.O for chasing a ring and using more money than usual to go all in the past two seasons. The move, although expensive, didn't and wasn't going to hinder the rebuilding process either, so I don't understand all the fuss.

Good riddance R.J.

Now let's pray for Caron Butler and a trade for a big.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Going after Butler, Howard, Battier, etc., and no word at all from any big men or possible trades. All this extra money they're saving is most likely going towards them. Unless their plan was to amnesty Jefferson AND make a deal for a big (most likely including Blair and McDyess).

That would be a mistake. They still need an upgrade to the frontline.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
If they could somehow land Butler and swing a trade for a Kaman or a Biedrins, we'd be set...:tu

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
the fact that they arent goin after big men is annoying, but at least theyre doing something. i wouldnt mind splitter starting all year if we get butler

baseline bum
So I guess I was right last summer when I said the Spurs would have been way better off letting him walk for nothing rather than re-signing his ass. Nice to see RC finally agreed, though a year too late.

lefty
Interesting that this news coincides with the Caron Butler meeting.
Yup

Nathan89
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
If they could somehow land Butler and swing a trade for a Kaman or a Biedrins, we'd be set...:tu

Fuck Biedrins and his terrible contract. That's not what we want.

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM

:(

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Still, news of the amnesty coming right after the Butler meeting has to mean it went well. Unless they just really hated him.

Buddy Holly
12-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Before visit to San Antonio, Butler preferred CHI $5M MLE over SAS, and Clippers over Nets at approx $7M for teams with space, source says.

Still, Spurs have always been great recruiting in these instances, so leave open possibility that they could've swayed Butler's thinking.

jag
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
So much potential... Especially when I think back to the guy who started off last season putting up 20+ points regularly. I wish it could have worked out.

Still not a bad trade. It was worth a go.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Still, news of the amnesty coming right after the Butler meeting has to mean it went well. Unless they just really hated him.

The two bits of news coming out at the same time is pretty interesting....

spursince#99
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
This doesn't sit well with me & makes our chance slim of picking up a big man

Nathan89
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Possibility to start plus play with an organization he likes might sway Butler.

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
You know what, I dont think theres one non-defensive-minded team that wouldnt take bonner. Bonner, and dice's contract, thats around 9 mil.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
You know what, I dont think theres one non-defensive-minded team that wouldnt take bonner. Bonner, and dice's contract, thats around 9 mil.

Blair would be the piece traded with Dyess to bring in a big, not Bonner unfortunately.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Blair would be the piece traded with Dyess to bring in a big, not Bonner unfortunately.

That's what I'm thinking too.

TimmehC
The two bits of news coming out at the same time is pretty interesting....

Butler or his agent could have tipped off Woj, since the Spurs surely would have told him they planned to waive RJ in order to allay any concerns over playing time.

AFBlue
I hope it means the Spurs are close or confident in a deal with one of those SF veterans. But what it really tells me is they're confident that they're a better team without him and that he's not worth the $2M they add to replace him. That's a pretty big statement.

timvp
Am I the only one who doesn't understand how Caron Butler would fit on this team? He's most effective on isolations -- sets the Spurs don't run and shouldn't run when any of the Big 3 is also on the court.

Amnesty-ing RJ to give Butler a full MLE deal is like hoping maybe your other hand won't get burned by touching the same hot stove.

lcroock
I think Tiago is on his way out. Mcdyess + Tiago for Anderson Varejo is coming....

jag
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Spurs primary target has been Caron Butler, who met w/ them today. However, they've been on phone with agents discussing several options.

It's a sad day when your team is without a starting SF, Vince Carter is a rumored option, and you're left hoping and praying they can land Caron Butler for the MLE.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Butler landed in S.A. and RJ ended up in a Mavs uniform?

Buddy Holly
Dejuan (and his tweets)/Bonner/Dice's contract to Clippers for Kaman.

Dex

While I'm glad to see a quick resolution to the Jefferson issue (personally, I didn't want to spend another season hoping to squeeze blood from a stone), this does worry me quite a bit.

If we had one glaring weakness in the Memphis series, it was our frontline. Our bigs just couldn't hang with their size and toughness and it's not like the Grizzlies are the only team to boast a sizable frontline. Unless Splitter seriously develops in his second season, or the Spurs have some tricks up their sleeve trade-wise or in the free agent market, Spurs will still have the same deficiencies that was their Achilles Heel last season.

jag
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I think Tiago is on his way out. Mcdyess + Tiago for Anderson Varejo is coming....

:vomit:

timvp
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
You can't really say 54+ million because you have to discount whatever he's signed for now..

Yeah but if we're being totally accurate we'd also have to add back in any luxury tax payments that overpaying RJ has and will cause.

DMC
12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't understand how Caron Butler would fit on this team? He's most effective on isolations -- sets the Spurs don't run and shouldn't run when any of the Big 3 is also on the court.

Amnesty-ing RJ to give Butler a full MLE deal is like hoping maybe your other hand won't get burned by touching the same hot stove.
I was going to say the same thing. I can see him being RJ 2.0.

Fireball
12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
But in a fistfight in a dark alley Butler would annihilate RJ ... Butler may have the same problems adapting to playing with the BIG 3, but at least he is a competitor!

Buddy Holly

Except your other hand has the mindset to be wearing oven mitts.

Basically Jefferson's attitude, mentality and motor sucked so did his iso game. The opposite is true for Butler.

timtonymanu

I was thinking the same thing but what other options do we have? I wouldn't mind starting Leonard, but I doubt Pop give him that spot so early.

DMC
I would like to see Blair saved for the deadline trade to see if he improves. I don't see him making huge progress though. He just seems like he's got some incredible potential that we haven't even begun to tap.

jag
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Jefferson was so worthless against Memphis that he actually did more for the Spurs by being on the bench. I'm not really sure how Butler fits in either, but being able to unload RJ and his contract for Caron's unknown value is worth a shot at this point.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Much rather have Butler than RJ. His wouldn't be that hard to move after a couple years if it didn't work out either.

The label of a "ball stopper" that Caron has might be true at times but I think having somebody else that can create their own shot would be a huge plus for this team. Manu isn't getting any younger and he's pretty much the only one on our roster who can do what Caron can do with the ball.

He also isn't a mental midget like RJ and brings an attitude and toughness this locker-room would benefit to have. He might not be the ideal choice but I like this idea of him in a Spurs uniform.

Bruno
I'm very surprised Holt was ready to waive RJ while he was owned $29M.

Right now, It's hard to tell is it's or not a good move. 2 questions are up in the air:
1) Will a team below the cap claim a part of RJ's contract?
2) What Spurs will do with this new financial flexibility?

DPG21920
I'm shocked the Spurs are manning up and viewing RJ as a sunk cost and admitting their mistake to the world. Don't see that often. Especially with the reports of Holt being the champion for having the amnesty not expire this year.

I'm also shocked because of the financial commitment. Assuming no one claims RJ, spurs using amnesty on RJ + the full MLE is akin to paying the new guy 14m this year + the additional life of the new contract. It's really surprising that w team needs and using a lottery pick on a SF that they target a position like SF for guys who's talent isn't much better (although it wasn't a talent issue w RJ just attitude and Caron is a huge upgrade in toughness)

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
RJ will get picked up eventually.

Nathan89
12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Butler landed in S.A. and RJ ended up in a Mavs uniform?

and locked down Butler when we played the Mavs.

jjktkk
12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
But in a fistfight in a dark alley Butler would annihilate RJ ... Butler may have the same problems adapting to playing with the BIG 3, but at least he is a competitor!

Which, imo, is why Pop wants him. The Spurs can use some toughness. Kinda reminds me when they brought in Mario Ellie and Jerome Kersey back in the day.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:25 PM
While I'm glad to see a quick resolution to the Jefferson issue (personally, I didn't want to spend another season hoping to squeeze blood from a stone), this does worry me quite a bit.

If we had one glaring weakness in the Memphis series, it was our frontline. Our bigs just couldn't hang with their size and toughness and it's not like the Grizzlies are the only team to boast a sizable frontline. Unless Splitter seriously develops in his second season, or the Spurs have some tricks up their sleeve trade-wise or in the free agent market, Spurs will still have the same deficiencies that was their Achilles Heel last season.

Agreed. The way I see it the SF replacement and the PF/C upgrade are the Spurs two biggest areas of concern. Both of which are mutually exclusive.

I certainly understand their need to jettison RJ, jump into the fray and try to land of the prized SF free agents. However, let's remember that the Spurs are on the clock. They MUST make a decision on McDyess's contract situation by the first day of free agency (Friday) - otherwise they will owe him the full year salary. If they're planning on using that contract as trade chip, we'll find out soon enough. WHo knows? Perhaps they already have a trade agreement, in principal, with another team?

IMO, the PF/C upgrade IS the biggest priority here. The Spurs could've rolled into another season with RJ, so long as that priority was covered. While I'm glad RJ is gone and there will be a new veteran SF in place, but unless the frontline deficiency is addressed, it will not matter much who is at SF.

DMC
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Unless it's Luke Walton in the alley, then RJ has his way with him.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
So who is TP going to throw alley-oops to now? :lol

Tp9gospursgo
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Nana na na.....nana na na....HEY HEY HEY...GOODBYE RJ!!!!

Fireball
Unless it's Luke Walton in the alley, then RJ has his way with him.

Maybe then Dick would something else than fighting :lol

SenorSpur

I thought about that too. In some strange reason, Josh Howard or Tayshun Prince would probably be the better fit for the Spurs.

jag
12-07-2011, 02:29 PM
vEA_eF4UAZQ

anyone?

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
This is a good thing. Since RJ averages 2/9 on any night, all the replacement would have to do is put in 3+ buckets and he's already an improvement, though hopefully more than 3. And of course who isnt better than rj defensively.

Plus whatever RJ signs for on another team will come off for us.
Let's also not rule out the possibility that Pop is thinking that as long as Leonard is better than 2/9, then maybe there is no other replacement at the 3? And that they're still going after a 4 or 5?

As long as Leonard can play D, plus a couple of buckets a night, then he might be the man? That's pretty much the role Bowen played after all.

urunobili
12-07-2011, 02:32 PM
RJ to the Mavs in 3, 2, 1....

tdunk21
12-07-2011, 02:33 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Jeff McDonald
Double breaking: Richard Jefferson to be amnestied, Spurs emerge as strong contender to land free agent Caron Butler. bit.ly/sC4ZIk

AFBlue
12-07-2011, 02:34 PM
RJ will get picked up eventually.

95% chance he ends up on the Clips if they lose out on Butler.

tdunk21
12-07-2011, 02:34 PM
can an amnestied player be re-signed with the same team for a lesser contract?

Vic Petro
12-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Nope

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 02:36 PM
The Spurs have to have something in place, right? Either Butler or some other SF has committed to SA, or a Dice trade is in the works. I cannot imagine the Spurs leaking this info without having a backup plan.

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

I was wondering that too. I'm gonna say no because if that was possible, we could have a gentleman's agreement with timmy, get 20mil off the books, he resigns for the minimum. Yes we still have rj but he could have still been a trade chip.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Nope. Wouldn't make sense because then we would still be paying his huge contract along with the new one.

DMC
12-07-2011, 02:41 PM
The Spurs have to have something in place, right? Either Butler or some other SF has committed to SA, or a Dice trade is in the works. I cannot imagine the Spurs leaking this info without having a backup plan.
If they didn't, RJ would. He's no longer a Spur.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
95% chance he ends up on the Clips if they lose out on Butler.

He might actually fit there running the floor with Blake Griffin.....

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm with you. However since Cuban is in cost-saving mode to gear up for the 2012 free agent sweepstakes, do not expect him to offer anyone more than a 1-year deal.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm sure it's been asked, but can some of you guys explain the math to me how having RJ opt out and sign him to an extension was a great financial deal for the Spurs?

crc21209
Cuban isnt paying anyone ANYTHING this year. He's rolling the dice for next year's free agent sweepstakes. The Mavs are gonna look ALOT different this year, minus Chandler, Butler, and Barea....

Trill Clinton
:wowYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/d0z2B.gif

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/29lzsxl.gif

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/Soccer_kid_reaction.gif

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/callmymomma-o.gif

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

It's the same contract. If I understand it correctly, teams bid for the amnestied player and take on whatever percentage of the salary is required to get them on the team. The Spurs should be able to bid for RJ, but the total would be exactly what they owe him over the same period of time. It would be like bidding on your own ebay auction.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

No. That would be salary-cap circumvention.

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:47 PM

I doubt it, mavs have 3 players who can play the 3: marion, brewster, rudy fernandez....

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Does anyone think that a team with cap space will claim some portion of RJ's contract? I could see a team like the Kings, Nets, or Clippers offering to pay $2-3M per year; that's a pretty good deal for someone of RJ's talent level, and those teams need some scoring anyway. This would save the Spurs some money both on the tax and in having to pay RJ less.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Teams under the cap that will be able to bid for Jefferson's services:

1. Washington: $34.4 million
2. Denver: $33 million
3. Indiana: $28.5 million
4. Sacramento: $26.2 million
5. New Jersey: $23.1 million
6. Toronto: $17.7 million
7. Golden State: $16 million
8. Detroit: $14-$19 million
9. L.A. Clippers: $13.1 million
10. Charlotte: $13 million
11. New Orleans: $12.6 million
12. Milwaukee: $12.2 million
13. Minnesota: $11.4 million
14. Houston: $6.8 million
15. Memphis: $5.1 million
16. Phoenix: $3.25 million
17. Oklahoma City: $3.1 million
18. Philly: 2.65 million

As you can see many teams are very well under the cap, which was probably the reason for the Spurs' decision-- Jefferson should and will be bidded on.

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Does anyone think that a team with cap space will claim some portion of RJ's contract? I could see a team like the Kings, Nets, or Clippers offering to pay $2-3M per year; that's a pretty good deal for someone of RJ's talent level, and those teams need some scoring anyway. This would save the Spurs some money both on the tax and in having to pay RJ less.

YES. He's not gonna be unemployed. 11pts/game is a great stat, it's just not great at 9mil a year.

elec99
12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
oh, and 11pts blows when it takes 9 shots to get there.

RodNIc91
12-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Im peeing in my pants just thinking that if we dont get another competent bigman Leonard will undoubtly play some 4! Ouch

pookenstein
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I was wondering that too. I'm gonna say no because if that was possible, we could have a gentleman's agreement with timmy, get 20mil off the books, he resigns for the minimum. Yes we still have rj but he could have still been a trade chip.

By that logic Duncan would get his 20mil and whatever he would sign for...

Leetonidas
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Well this is interesting. I was hoping the Spurs could work out a trade with him for Kaman.

Guess this means the Spurs either think Tiago and Tim with Blair and Bonner will be enough frontcourt depth (please fucking no) or they have something cooking for a bigman trade because all these rumors of us pursuing SFs makes no sense. But, at least Caron is a tough mf'er, he'd add some fire and toughness to our soft team.

elec99
12-07-2011, 03:06 PM
You know, there's a real possibility RJ gets 5mil a yr, if that happens that means we only owe 4/yr. Talk about erasing a good portion of your mistakes.

swaggerjackson
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Is anyone else not happy? I mean I hate RJ but now we are looking for a player who will fill his spot. It will likely be a lateral move, and we are still thin up front. If we released him to use midlevel on a decent big I would understand but is caron really that much of an upgrade? I hope they got a little more up their sleeve if this is true.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
So RJ is the biggest story of the Spurs offseason for the third consecutive year:

2009- trading for RJ

2010- opting out and then resigning

2011- amnesty

Bad things happen when you get away from what works for you. The Spurs always managed their money carefully and stayed right around the luxury tax line. With the RJ trade they blew through that threshold by several million dollars. To avoid paying millions more in luxury tax, they restructured RJ's deal in 2010. To avoid keeping a poor fit, they have now used the amnesty on RJ in 2011.

I'm surprised that they bit the bullet on RJ so early rather than holding out for a trade, but credit has to go ownership and the FO for doing so. Financial implications aside, this allows the organization to move past the RJ experiment without surrendering basketball assets such as draft picks or young players on rookie contracts.

Now if they could only make Bonner disappear....

ElNono
12-07-2011, 03:11 PM

I don't like it either... I don't think we should be looking for a SF... we need size/defense inside above all. I think between Dany Green/Leonard, and even shifting Bonner there (he plays on the perimeter anyways) can man the position when we're not just playing small with Neal/Tony/Manu...

elec99
By that logic Duncan would get his 20mil and whatever he would sign for...

Right, under the assumption waiving someone and resigning was possible, I suggested timmy would be a more viable candidate if the sole goal was to remove as much salary off the books. And of course assuming the minimum was negligible, though i have no idea what the minimum would be for someone who has been in the season for as long as timmy.

So timmy still gets his 20 mil, gets resigned for 300k, (ok we both know its not 300k but something small), and we remove 20mil (but add 300k) to the books.

Then maybe timmy does us a solid by staying another couple years at the minimum again.

But obviously this scenario with timmy or any other player is not possible under the amnesty clause.

Libri
So RC was sober this time?

Obstructed_View
Someone's getting Caron Butler, and the other teams are going to be competing for the rest of the crop of small forwards out there. RJ's as attractive an option for those teams as anyone else available, even for up to and beyond the MLE.

dylankerouac
12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
You know, there's a real possibility RJ gets 5mil a yr, if that happens that means we only owe 4/yr. Talk about erasing a good portion of your mistakes.

That's true. A lot of people have been talking about how a lot FA's will end up overpaid because of the slim pickings.

superbigtime
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I would like this a lot better if we end up getting a real big. Caron's a nice replacement and he is a tough dude but is injury prone and 31 years old coming off a huge injury. His 3 pt shooting sucks compared to RJ. I really hope we get Caron and a big like Kaman or Nene. Please no more of these undersized Cs.

dougp
12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Someone's getting Caron Butler, and the other teams are going to be competing for the rest of the crop of small forwards out there. RJ's as attractive an option for those teams as anyone else available, even for up to and beyond the MLE.

As much as people here hate on RJ, he's not a terrible player - he just wasn't a fit in this system. Sadly, I'd love to see RJ go to the Clippers if they manage to trade for CP3 ... Griffin AND RJ on a fast break? Hell, even if he goes to Dallas and plays with Kidd again, that'd be scary.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't like it either... I don't think we should be looking for a SF... we need size/defense inside above all. I think between Dany Green/Leonard, and even shifting Bonner there (he plays on the perimeter anyways) can man the position when we're not just playing small with Neal/Tony/Manu...

I agree with the sentiment, but you have to look at the market. Let's say we go with what we got at SF and devote the full MLE to a PF/C. What's out there that could really help? It may be that real help at PF/C can only come via the trade route. In that case, using the MLE on a SF makes good basketball sense. (Although I'm shocked at Holt's loose purse strings after crying poverty for so long in the CBA negotiations.)

With all the chatter about Kaman and Nene, I haven't looked at the best possible big for the MLE. A guy like McRoberts could probably be had for less. I dunno.

Dex
12-07-2011, 03:21 PM
If the Spurs could somehow manage to land Butler and Kaman....

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqpi6nd17b1qg39ewo1_500.gif

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
The Spurs definitely still have work to do on the front line. There just aren't many bigs out there for the MLE. The demand for a good big man is shooting their value up past the MLE mark.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree with the sentiment, but you have to look at the market. Let's say we go with what we got at SF and devote the full MLE to a PF/C. What's out there that could really help? It may be that real help at PF/C can only come via the trade route. In that case, using the MLE on a SF makes good basketball sense. (Although I'm shocked at Holt's loose purse strings after crying poverty for so long in the CBA negotiations.)

With all the chatter about Kaman and Nene, I haven't looked at the best possible big for the MLE. A guy like McRoberts could probably be had for less. I dunno.

I just get the feeling that if Holt puts that money down, he won't be willing to take on a shit contract as part of a trade for a big, which it's somewhat of a necessity if you want to land something serviceable. Being under the lux tax, now they can pull a 150% salary match rule which expands the possibility for a trade. But I don't think Holt will want to go over the lux tax if he can avoid it.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I just get the feeling that if Holt puts that money down, he won't be willing to take on a shit contract as part of a trade for a big, which it's somewhat of a necessity if you want to land something serviceable. Being under the lux tax, now they can pull a 150% salary match rule which expands the possibility for a trade. But I don't think Holt will want to go over the lux tax if he can avoid it.

Yeah, now that they're under the line, I can't see them going over it. Then again, I thought the RJ trade would never happen and that they wouldn't use the amnesty this year. The Spurs were more predictable before acquiring RJ.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Holt has done a lot of things recently that I had a hard time visioning him doing. I think what he's willing to do is pretty much up in the air.

elbamba
12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
The biggest issue I have with RJ is that his resigning made no sense at the time. No one was going to pay RJ even close to what he received. RJ would have been worth the investment had we resigned him for 4 years at 22-24 million. He probably would have taken that too.

I never want to accuse the Spurs of dirty deals but this just goes to strengthen the circumstantial evidence that there were a deal under the table for the Spurs to get RJ to opt out after his first year. It is the only explanation for it. I am sure that in corners of the NBA, where people speak honestly and openly without fear of repercussion, this is a commonly known fact.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM

lol @ bonner playing SF, he would be torched on every possession by 95% of the starting SF of the league.... Even RJ would torch him... Bonner is incapable to defend athletic SF

ElNono
Yeah, now that they're under the line, I can't see them going over it. Then again, I thought the RJ trade would never happen and that they wouldn't use the amnesty this year. The Spurs were more predictable before acquiring RJ.

Well, I just think that the closer they get to the lux line, the more percentage you have to remove from that possible 150%, which in turn reduces your flexibility to pull a trade.

Not saying Holt is unwilling to go over the lux tax (especially these first 2 seasons when it's 1:1), but I think he's obviously going to try to be under and if he has to pay tax, the least possible.

Buddy Holly
If Spurs fail to get Kaman, Oak, Thompson, or Ty Thomas, they sould look to deal players for picks and start the rebiuld. Next years draft is very strong and will have lots of bigs who can be stars.

Im sure Tim, Manu and TP can all bring in a high first rounder....I would rather trade them get value and send them out in style than watch them flounder and we end up getting the 22 pick a likely role player at best.

Hell, see if Okl would take Tim give us a first rounder and Serge and or Harding/ Maynor. Okl be fav in the West, Tim may get another ring and we get good young talent to start rebiuld.

Manu to Houst, for Patterson, future picks.....they get a leader who can do it all we get a young PF with upsided and picks.

TP to Tor for Davis, Calderon and a first rounder.....We get a young defensive big, a solid pg and future picks

Just stop posting for a while.

elbamba
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Teams under the cap that will be able to bid for Jefferson's services:

1. Washington: $34.4 million
2. Denver: $33 million
3. Indiana: $28.5 million
4. Sacramento: $26.2 million
5. New Jersey: $23.1 million
6. Toronto: $17.7 million
7. Golden State: $16 million
8. Detroit: $14-$19 million
9. L.A. Clippers: $13.1 million
10. Charlotte: $13 million
11. New Orleans: $12.6 million
12. Milwaukee: $12.2 million
13. Minnesota: $11.4 million
14. Houston: $6.8 million
15. Memphis: $5.1 million
16. Phoenix: $3.25 million
17. Oklahoma City: $3.1 million
18. Philly: 2.65 million

As you can see many teams are very well under the cap, which was probably the reason for the Spurs' decision-- Jefferson should and will be bidded on.

Pistons, nuggets, Minnesota might be potential destinations. I know the Bucks are out of the equation.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
lol @ bonner playing SF, he would be torched on every possession by 95% of the starting SF of the league.... Even RJ would torch him... Bonner is incapable to defend athletic SF

Unless he's moved, he's going to play, and frankly, I much rather he be a human traffic cone on the perimeter while having an extra rim protector next to Tim, than getting torched inside the paint.

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Well, I just think that the closer they get to the lux line, the more percentage you have to remove from that possible 150%, which in turn reduces your flexibility to pull a trade.

Not saying Holt is unwilling to go over the lux tax (especially these first 2 seasons when it's 1:1), but I think he's obviously going to try to be under and if he has to pay tax, the least possible.

Using the 150% rule can't put you more than $4M over the tax line, right? Otherwise you still have to do 125%?

It's somewhat irrelevant anyway: with the amnesty of RJ, the Spurs are around $3M under the tax line once Leonard signs. The only real trade chips the Spurs have are Dice and Blair, and getting back 150% of that salary barely bumps against the $4M-over-the-tax threshold.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM

He's already getting torched by 100% by every opposing player, on every possession as it is. Did anyone not see the Memphis series? Bonner is incapable of defending anyone - other than the Brian Scalabrine's of the world.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Using the 150% rule can't put you more than $4M over the tax line, right? Otherwise you still have to do 125%?

It's somewhat irrelevant anyway: with the amnesty of RJ, the Spurs are around $3M under the tax line once Leonard signs. The only real trade chips the Spurs have are Dice and Blair, and getting back 150% of that salary barely bumps against the $4M-over-the-tax threshold.

Right, but if they do use the full MLE on top of that, then they're going to be close or above the lux line, and less willing to take on more contract (since it will basically cost twice as much).

superbigtime
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
people may forget because he has been such a disappointing player, but RJ is a damn good player. He's gonna make fans remember that he is better than he seemed in the Spurs system. wouldn't want him in dallas for sure. it sucks the wasted $ on this dude not to mention suck ass gator arm bonner's over generous contract.

Libri
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm very surprised Holt was ready to waive RJ while he was owned $29M.

Right now, It's hard to tell is it's or not a good move. 2 questions are up in the air:
1) Will a team below the cap claim a part of RJ's contract?
2) What Spurs will do with this new financial flexibility?

Do you know when Larry Coon's site will be updated?

gospursgojas
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
people may forget because he has been such a disappointing player, but RJ is a damn good player. He's gonna make fans remember that he is better than he seemed in the Spurs system. wouldn't want him in dallas for sure. it sucks the wasted $ on this dude not to mention suck ass gator arm bonner's over generous contract.

I would not fear one bit for the Spurs if he ended up in Dallas. Hes gonna be a great player for a shitty team. Like minny probably.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM

He looked good in Milwaukee because he was the #1 option. And the Bucks couldn't get rid of him quickly enough.

I really don't care where he lands. The only thing I hope is that he gets overpaid. That way Spurs save some money on what he's owed.

bigfan
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
RJ seems like a good guy and he played hard but obviously never quite meshed. Good luck to him in the future.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
No doubt in my mind that RJ is better and a more rounded player now than he was when he first got here. He can help on another team, no doubt. Preferably one that runs up and down the court a little bit more and has a passing first PG.

5in10
12-07-2011, 04:04 PM

I would rather have someone that can create their own shot, it takes pressure off the big 3 to score. I say add iso sets for him, especially when the big 3 are off the court, gives them more rest. It's better than having rj who is scared to shoot, and hides under pressure. At least butler is a competitor and wants to win.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
about time that is all fair well rj

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
rj would be great in a suns uniform, or with the warriors, he needs a fast system... just wasnt a good fit with us, and the spurs should have known that. but what you gonna do not a bad trade but a bad decision to resign him

alamo50
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
He just wasn't smart enough.
Now let's bring in Butler.

The Truth #6
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Alright RJ, best of luck to you and all that.

I think his value is low, but oddly, he probably would be a bargain on some team for $2million/year or less. He did improve his fundamentals somewhat last year while studying under Pop. And most importantly, he did shoot 44% from 3 last year...some team (granted, an average team with little aspirations for a title) could use him just as a shooter. And if he gets out on the fast break occasionally then all the better. I would love for some Hollinger stat geek to advertise what a bargain he is at $2 million/year. In a perfect world some team will pay him close to the MLE and get Holt off the hook for a little bit. In no way do I expect that, but with this frenzy it's possible.

The Truth #6
12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think Butler is going to be a great answer. I can see how his iso's are exactly what they wanted out of RJ. But, it's hard to ignore that Dallas did just fine without him. In fact, I think they did better when he got injured. If Pop can bamboozle him to be a real team leader, then that's great. But if Pop does inflate his ego with purpose, and then we find out he never fully recovered from his injury and basically is less than hoped for, I'm not sure what happens then.

In other words, I can't see us wooing Butler to come here to play defense and mentor Leonard and occasionally score when Manu and Tony are off the court. Hey, maybe it's possible. Pop is convincing. But I would think Butler has better options.

In addition: how many years are we offering him? Please no more than two, but good luck with that.

diego
12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
hurray for getting rid of RJ

but say no to butler, he will be RJ 2.0 if he comes here. i'd much rather battier or hill to mentor leonard/anderson and hope they pan out. Also, butler is a jumpshooter, i'd much rather use what little money is available on someone who will bring rebounds and/or inside scoring.

elemento
12-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Where are the morons that defended the Spurs move to resign Dick Jefferson now ?

Since 2008 we've been making a lot of dumb moves. Our FO has been pathetic. It's just sad.

spurs10
12-07-2011, 05:05 PM
We need a power forward and I can't help but believe that is the main FO concern right now. I guess the question is, if we use the now full MLE on a SF, who do we trade for a PF? Undoubtably our biggest concern....It could be the other way around though and we end up trading for a RJ replacement and pay a big the MLE.

CGD
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Didn't expect this. Assuming Bulter takes up the full MLE, what assets do we have left in the pursuit of a big man?

TD 21
12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think Butler is going to be a great answer. I can see how his iso's are exactly what they wanted out of RJ. But, it's hard to ignore that Dallas did just fine without him. In fact, I think they did better when he got injured. If Pop can bamboozle him to be a real team leader, then that's great. But if Pop does inflate his ego with purpose, and then we find out he never fully recovered from his injury and basically is less than hoped for, I'm not sure what happens then.

In other words, I can't see us wooing Butler to come here to play defense and mentor Leonard and occasionally score when Manu and Tony are off the court. Hey, maybe it's possible. Pop is convincing. But I would think Butler has better options.

In addition: how many years are we offering him? Please no more than two, but good luck with that.

Me neither. It's nice that they're looking to add toughness, because it is a need, but he regularly over handles, is an erratic outside shooter and was slipping defensively before the injury. Throw in his lack of "corporate knowledge", the fact that the role he'd play on the Spurs, he's never really had to play and him coming off of a major knee injury and being in his 30's and I have a hard time believing he'll adapt well enough to be a marked upgrade.

I'd imagine it would take 3 or 4 years to have a realistic shot at him. The Spurs are already limited in what they can offer annually compared to the Clippers, which is why he's probably end up there.

In the end, I think the Spurs will end up with Howard, on a 1 year deal with maybe a team or player option for a 2nd, at less than the full MLE. He'd have the same issues as Butler, since he's essentially a less talented version. But at least they wouldn't be stuck with him for 3 or 4 years.

mystargtr34
12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah the only upgrade i can see with Butler over Jefferson is some toughness... although even that word gets thrown around a bit too much. At the end of the day at this stage in his career Butler is a jump shooter.. who occassionaly drives the basketball. I would prefer someone like Battier tbh.. much cheaper and a better fit.

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Butler would be an ok pickup. would rather go after Grant hill for a 1 year deal or battier for a 2 year deal.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Butler would be an ok pickup. would rather go after Grant hill for a 1 year deal or battier for a 2 year deal.

A 38-39 year old Hill > A 31 year old Butler? I don't think so.....

Brazil
12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Unless he's moved, he's going to play, and frankly, I much rather he be a human traffic cone on the perimeter while having an extra rim protector next to Tim, than getting torched inside the paint.

I do think we all agree Bonner sucks, thats a fact, I just would prefer seeing him with the jersey of another team no matter what position is playing.

Nevertheless I do believe he would suck even more at SF than he is currently sucking at PF.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
After initial reports having the Blazers set to release Brandon Roy, it appears that the Spurs were actually the first NBA club to exercise the amnesty clause.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I do think we all agree Bonner sucks, thats a fact, I just would prefer seeing him with the jersey of another team no matter what position is playing.

Nevertheless I do believe he would suck even more at SF than he is currently sucking at PF.

No doubt about it.

tdunk21
12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
After initial reports having the Blazers set to release Brandon Roy, it appears that the Spurs were actually the first NBA club to exercise the amnesty clause.

so interest in butler was a smokescreen?

Chomag
12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Brandon Roy? Would be a great pick up but doesn't he have no knees?

timtonymanu
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Blazers won't amnesty Roy.

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Though Butler has already visited the Los Angeles Clippers and still plans to visit the New Jersey Nets — two teams that can offer more than the $5 million mid-level exception that will be available to the Spurs after Jefferson is waived — one league source said the Spurs are now considered the front-runner to land him

Butler’s decision is expected to come not long after free agency opens Friday. Brothers said he hopes to have Butler in some team’s camp by the weekend.

“We’ve got one stop left (New Jersey),” Brothers said. “Then it will be time to make a decision.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/07/jefferson-out-butler-up-next/

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Caron Butler has reportedly narrowed down the teams he'd like to play for next year, and the list includes the San Antonio Spurs, who are expected to waive Richard Jefferson when the collective bargaining agreement is ratified.

According to a report, Butler will decide between the Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Nets, or Los Angeles Clippers should he decide not to sign with San Antonio.

San Antonio and Chicago are offering Butler the $5 million mid-level exception, while the Nets and the Clippers are in the $7 million-a-year range.
Via ESPN.com

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217097/Butler_Narrows_List_Of_Suitors_To_Spurs_Bulls_Nets _Clippers#ixzz1ftOX8Tkv

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Reached after his meeting with the Spurs and moments after the report of the Spurs' decision to amnesty Jefferson, Butler said via text message: "I was flattered."
A source with knowledge of the situation said that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is exceedingly high on Butler and made it known to him before Butler started his recruitment trip this week with stops at the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers, before meeting with the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7327557/caron-butler-visits-san-antonio-spurs-amid-report-richard-jefferson-out

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM

but wouldnt it be great to see bonner standing still in front of Durant on the perimeter with his T-rex arms up in the air?

xtremesteven33
12-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Butler would be a great fit in San Antonio. As I said before, he not only is an isolation player but is tremendous coming off of picks and creating offense for other teammates.

He does lack better catch and shoot from the 3 point line and maybe better defense but those areas can be worked on. If the Spurs can land Butler it would be a Fantastic addition. Ive always wanted him on the Spurs

BlackSwordsMan
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
waste of fucking money
fuck this asshole

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
A 38-39 year old Hill > A 31 year old Butler? I don't think so.....
dont have a problem with butler if hes signed for no more than 3 years. Spurs have to get Leonard ready to become a big piece of the rebuilding process they will go through in a couple of years. just think Hill or battier would be a better signing because they would demand less money, match productivity, & be better mentors.

jiggy_55
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
RJeff24 Richard Jefferson
@WojYahooNBA haven't heard anything

Not sure if anybody posted this.. Not sure if this really is Jefferson as the follower count is quite low and he's not verified but he did tweet to @Wojyahoonba saying he hasn't heard anything about them using amnesty on him..

In other news, Josh Howard seems to have had a good meeting also in SA.. Glad the Spurs are trying to make moves for more aggressive players..

Link to Josh Howard meeting in SAS and bumping into Manu today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/josh-howard-back-in-dc-still-undecided-on-free-agent-destination/2011/12/07/gIQAhxZLdO_blog.html

crc21209
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I think Caron Butler may seem like a lateral move to some people. But some people underrate toughness. Butler brings a nasty-ness to a team that clearly needs some right now, and RJ is just too damn soft to provide that. I think Butler is better off the dribble as well, and his mid-range game is pretty good too....

BlackSwordsMan
12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
RJeff24 Richard Jefferson
@WojYahooNBA haven't heard anything

Not sure if anybody posted this.. Not sure if this really is Jefferson as the follower count is quite low and he's not verified but he did tweet to @Wojyahoonba saying he hasn't heard anything about them using amnesty on him..

In other news, Josh Howard seems to have had a good meeting also in SA.. Glad the Spurs are trying to make moves for more aggressive players..

Link to Josh Howard meeting in SAS and bumping into Manu today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/josh-howard-back-in-dc-still-undecided-on-free-agent-destination/2011/12/07/gIQAhxZLdO_blog.html
now hes heard
fuck him

NASpurs
12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
From jiggy_55's link:

Howard said Ginobili, whom he faced many times as a member of the Dallas Mavericks, stopped him to talk and said, “hey what a coincidence? We used to have a lot of battles. I said, ‘yeah and now we’re on the same team – maybe.’ ”Noooooooooooooooo!

Russo21
Sweet decision. I can't believe Peter will be paying Dick 30 million over the coming years for doing nothing. That's grand larceny Richard Jefferson you should be in prison.

benefactor
one league source said the Spurs are now considered the front-runner to land him

Kiss of death. The second they said this about Maggette the show was over.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
“When I first got here, Tim Duncan told me, ‘Don’t suck. As long as you don’t suck, you’ll be helping the team.’ He basically told me that I wasn’t very good. Now, most nights, if I play okay, Tim says ‘Yo, you didn’t suck tonight.’ So for the most part, I try to not think about anything other than not sucking. It’s good to know that as long as I don’t suck, as long as I don’t hurt the team, as long as I’m neutral, I’m okay.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/12/tim-duncan-told-richard-jefferson-not-to-think-about-elephants/

cd98
12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Spurs will get Butler or Howard. If the 4 teams vying for a small forward are NJ, Spurs, Bulls, and Clippers, then chances are high Spurs get Butler. I'll bet one of those three teams, NJ, Bulls, and Clippers will try and get Jefferson off the waiver wire, where he'll be a big discount.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Kiss of death. The second they said this about Maggette the show was over.

Haha true but Maggette had a 10+mil/yr offer to turn down.

Russo21
12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Josh Howard and Caron Butler would be a fantastic tag team at SF. Give caron some minutes at SG while Leonard plays the 3 and we'd have a wicked combo on the wings to go alongside Manu and Tony

PG Parker/Neal
SG Manu/Butler
SF Howard/Leonard

That shit is wicked. Now to get rid of Ginger and the undersized Blair and get some help on the frontline. The backcourt is set.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm kinda glad we didnt get Maggette anyway. That guy just hasnt been the same since Golden State.....

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
We can't afford both. It will be one or the other.

Just surprised were not hearing Battier or Prince' names more.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Josh Howard and Caron Butler would be a fantastic tag team at SF. Give caron some minutes at SG while Leonard plays the 3 and we'd have a wicked combo on the wings to go alongside Manu and Tony

PG Parker/Neal
SG Manu/Butler
SF Howard/Leonard

That shit is wicked. Now to get rid of Ginger and the undersized Blair and get some help on the frontline. The backcourt is set.

Nice pipe dream. The Spurs can only afford to get one of either Butler or Howard....

benefactor
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm kinda glad we didnt get Maggette anyway. That guy just hasnt been the same since Golden State.....
Indeed. I remember the huge meltdown this place had when he turned the Spurs down. It most certainly was a blessing in disguise.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Indeed. I remember the huge meltdown this place had when he turned the Spurs down. It most certainly was a blessing in disguise.

Well, if Maggette had signed with the Spurs they never would have traded for Jefferson.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
The NBA has informed teams that they can begin player transactions at 2 p.m., ET on Friday, league sources tell Y! Sports.
14 minutes ago

ducks
12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I see rj going to denver

benefactor
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, if Maggette had signed with the Spurs they never would have traded for Jefferson.
Touche'. Neither would have worked out, but getting rid of the wasted money spent on Maggette would have been much easier.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
San Antonio and Chicago are offering Butler the $5 million mid-level exception, while the Nets and the Clippers are in the $7 million-a-year range.
Via ESPN.com

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217097/Butler_Narrows_List_Of_Suitors_To_Spurs_Bulls_Nets _Clippers#ixzz1ftOX8Tkv

Butler won't come to SA. If the report is correct and Clips and Nets offer more money, why Butler would choose to play for the spurs ? Nets and Clips are very appealing destination and hard to resist to Clips attraction, more money and a fun team with a great future to play with.

bigfan
12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Howard and his ganja pipe would last about 5 minutes under Coach Pop.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Butler won't come to SA. If the report is correct and Clips and Nets offer more money, why Butler would choose to play for the spurs ? Nets and Clips are very appealing destination and hard to resist to Clips attraction, more money and a fun team with a great future to play with.

The Nets are appealing? How so? Because they're moving to Brooklyn? Because they sure as hell havent delivered on the court in awhile. And other than Blake Griffin being with the Clippers, they havent done much either....

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 06:40 PM
"I don't care about no national anthem, im black"

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Maybe he'd rather play for Pop than Avery or Vinny.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I see rj going to denver

? why in hell denver would want rj ?

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Bonner gets torched at every front line position. Do you want him defending guys who are bigger than he is two feet from the rim, or do you want him defending guys smaller than he is 20 feet from the rim with two shot blockers behind him? That matchup also works in his favor as a guy three inches shorter is going to have a harder time blocking his threes.

If we're playing pick your poison, and Bonner's only getting the six to nine minutes a game he should be getting, I want him at small forward.

timtonymanu
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Howard may end up being cheaper and may not be here long term, but I prefer Butler. I think Howard will infuriate Spurs fan with his attitude. Both Butler and Howard scare me though. I see another Richard Jefferson situation happening if we get either of these guys. Hopefully Butler proves me wrong, assuming he accepts the Spurs' offer.

Mugen
12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I think RJ would be a better fit than Caron if im the Clippers, especially if they're going after CP3 and going fun and gun with Blake.

If i'm the clippers, RJ @ 3-4 million >>>> Caron @ 7 million

Brazil
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
The Nets are appealing? How so? Because they're moving to Brooklyn? Because they sure as hell havent delivered on the court in awhile. And other than Blake Griffin being with the Clippers, they havent done much either....

The nets have the money, the cap space to build a nice team in the future and moving in Brooklyn would be great.
The Clippers have already a fun team with a future star of the league and some very nice young prospects.

And they are offering more money.

Probably Butler is a big fan of Pop but it isn't enough to pass on a superior offer of the nets / clips.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
? why in hell denver would want rj ?

Smith and Chandler are in China and Afflalo is a free agent.

Buddy Holly
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Just stick to not posting.

Buddy Holly
12-07-2011, 06:51 PM
The nets have the money, the cap space to build a nice team in the future and moving in Brooklyn would be great.
The Clippers have already a fun team with a future star of the league and some very nice young prospects.

Probably Butler is a big fan of Pop but it isn't enough to pass on a superior offer of the nets / clips.

Superior offer? It's two million more and no one knows how many years any team is asking for.

The Clippers are a franchise that will pretty much always be a team always fighting for a playoff birth and the Nets are a Williams departure from being a bottom of the eastern conference team.

Mugen
12-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Bingo. Both teams can also offer a starting gig. Clipps also have Minny's unprotected pick next year in a very strong draft.

The only thing the Spurs got going for them is Pop. And that might not even last long when Caron realizes hes gonna be the backup 4 to Matty Bon Bon.

Drewlius
12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Praying for smokescreen - > Tayshaun

Brazil
12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Bonner gets torched at every front line position. Do you want him defending guys who are bigger than he is two feet from the rim, or do you want him defending guys smaller than he is 20 feet from the rim with two shot blockers behind him? That matchup also works in his favor as a guy three inches shorter is going to have a harder time blocking his threes.

If we're playing pick your poison, and Bonner's only getting the six to nine minutes a game he should be getting, I want him at small forward.

I have nothing against Bonner playing 6 to 9 minutes a game even at PF. For that amount of time with the second unit, he can also play SG.

Now for 30 mn a night you don't play Bonner SF. What would be the plan ? TP / Manu / Bonner / Splitter / Tim ? we better never miss a shot or turn the ball over because opposing team will just kill us on the break in 100% of the time.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
but wouldnt it be great to see bonner standing still in front of Durant on the perimeter with his T-rex arms up in the air?

If you were going to start him against OKC at small forward then you were retarded to begin with. Durant only plays 38-40 minutes a game.

chazley
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
RJ, in his third year in this system, is a better fit for the Spurs even at his salary, than Caron will be in his first year. Caron's game is a terrible fit for the Spurs, and I'm not really sure what the hell they see in his game that would translate well to our team. On top of that, he's coming off major knee surgery.

I'd much rather have Josh Howard if he comes cheap, or make a trade. Let's pray to God that Caron doesn't want to come here.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Smith and Chandler are in China and Afflalo is a free agent.

They have Danilo who is young and full of potential and I think they will try to keep Affalo anyway. Therefore I don't see Denver running at Butler for that amount of money to play off the bench.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Praying for smokescreen - > Tayshaun

Do not want...

Obstructed_View
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I have nothing against Bonner playing 6 to 9 minutes a game even at PF. For that amount of time with the second unit, he can also play SG.

Now for 30 mn a night you don't play Bonner SF. What would be the plan ? TP / Manu / Bonner / Splitter / Tim ? we better never miss a shot or turn the ball over because opposing team will just kill us on the break in 100% of the time.

First sentence, I agree completely.

Again, if you're a coach and you plan to play Bonner 30 minutes a night then you need your head examined. I've been saying for about five years now that Bonner shouldn't be playing starter's minutes under any circumstances. It would be equally stupid to play him at small forward without shot blockers behind him. But having guys dribble around him and go to the basket doesn't make him any bigger liabilty than Michael Finley was, so if you use the minutes wisely, what's the problem?

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
They have Danilo who is young and full of potential and I think they will try to keep Affalo anyway. Therefore I don't see Denver running at Butler for that amount of money to play off the bench.

You asked why they would want RJ.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Superior offer? It's two million more and no one knows how many years any team is asking for.

The Clippers are a franchise that will pretty much always be a team always fighting for a playoff birth and the Nets are a Williams departure from being a bottom of the eastern conference team.

Bingo. Both teams can also offer a starting gig. Clipps also have Minny's unprotected pick next year in a very strong draft.

The only thing the Spurs got going for them is Pop. And that might not even last long when Caron realizes hes gonna be the backup 4 to Matty Bon Bon.

This

and as I said if report is correct (Nets and Clipps are interested) and if their offer is superior, I don't see Butler choosing the spurs.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Now for 30 mn a night you don't play Bonner SF. What would be the plan ? TP / Manu / Bonner / Splitter / Tim ?

No, the plan would be Leonard 15m, Matty 20m (because you know he ain't getting any less than that), 13m small ball (3 guard setup Manu/Tony/Neal, you know this is happening too and 13m is very conservative). If there's an injury/long legs, Danny Green fills in.

And that idea would include using the money they want to give a starting SF on a trade for another big inside, so Tim doesn't have to play 30mpg or back2back2back...

The biggest problem with a Butler/Howard is that Leonard almost automatically will be relegated to 10mpg, if that.

JR3
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM

As excited I am at the possibility of Butler, I totally see this too. Same type of player, however, butler has balls and RJ does not. Maybe that makes the difference.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
First sentence, I agree completely.

Again, if you're a coach and you plan to play Bonner 30 minutes a night then you need your head examined. I've been saying for about five years now that Bonner shouldn't be playing starter's minutes under any circumstances. It would be equally stupid to play him at small forward without shot blockers behind him. But having guys dribble around him and go to the basket doesn't make him any bigger liabilty than Michael Finley was, so if you use the minutes wisely, what's the problem?

I agree with you, for 6 to 10 mn, Bonner doesn't hurt PF or SF or even PG. But if you have to choose your poison between SF / PF for 30 mn I'd prefer seeing him PF. Now the ideal situation would be Bonner playing C for Toronto.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
You asked why they would want RJ.

I was responding to ducks who he is seeing RJ going for Denver which doesn't make any sense.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Obviously, if we can get Butler or Howard AND shore up the middle, I'll take that too.

Right now, defensively speaking, we have Duncan with tired legs, a semi-retired Dice, and Splitter is really an unknown. We're going to be playing back to back galore, so Tim won't be there all the time and Dice might not be there at all.

Something HAS to be done if we don't want to leak like a sieve.

NASpurs
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
The biggest problem with a Butler/Howard is that Leonard almost automatically will be relegated to 10mpg, if that.

Probably not this year with all the b2bs/b2b2bs. I'm sure Pop will be very liberal with the rookies/youngsters than in the past due to the compact nature of the schedule but in a regular NBA season, then yeah, I think Leonard would have been very limited (in minutes).

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
smh people bitching about caron... did yall even watch rj at all or just stop watching after December?
caron not only can defend better but score better than rj

Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Obviously, if we can get Butler or Howard AND shore up the middle, I'll take that too.

Right now, defensively speaking, we have Duncan with tired legs, a semi-retired Dice, and Splitter is really an unknown. We're going to be playing back to back galore, so Tim won't be there all the time and Dice might not be there at all.

Something HAS to be done if we don't want to leak like a sieve.

as always bigs are the big priority and we are after butler and tj ford:lol

Mugen
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Splitter is going to have a damn good season as long as he gets the minutes and opportunity.

But yes, a big that can defend the Z-Bos and Dirks of the West is the biggest need right now.

NRHector
12-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Splitter is going to have a damn good season as long as he gets the minutes and opportunity.

But yes, a big that can defend the Z-Bos and Dirks of the West is the biggest need right now.

Splitter won't get the minutes or the opportunity if Bonner is not gone

Manu20
12-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Bye Bye RJ!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
RJ is gone! Let's dance on his Spurs Basketball grave! :lol

Actually, this comes as a bit of a surprise as I thought he'd play this season then be amnestied.

Yippee! :D

Mugen
12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Splitter won't get the minutes or the opportunity if Bonner is not gone

Bonner is going to be here next year. It sucks, I know. But I've accepted it.

But i don't think Blair has a fair chance of getting shipped out esp if theres a solid bigman to be had.

I think Pop realized how fucking retarded he was the whole year midway through the Grizz series when he finally inserted tiago in the lineup. It was too late, per the usual, but I think Splitter will get a fair shake this year and have a good season.

Ice009
12-07-2011, 07:52 PM
RJ is gone! Let's dance on his Spurs Basketball grave! :lol

Actually, this comes as a bit of a surprise as I thought he'd play this season then be amnestied.

Yippee! :D

What a colossal screw up it was resigning him though Ruff. The amount of money we've paid him and what Bruce Bowen got for his whole time here is horrible to think about.

Looks like I was correct during his first season here as I wanted him gone in November (after only playing for the team for 3 weeks), but then stupidly thought maybe resigning him was the best move last off season as we had no other options, combined with his off season work with Pop I was flat out wrong when I thought we should give him a second chance. I was right at first, then wrong the second time.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
What a colossal screw up it was resigning him though Ruff. The amount of money we've paid him and what Bruce Bowen got for his whole time here is horrible to think about.

Looks like I was correct during his first season here as I wanted him gone in November (after only playing for the team for 3 weeks), but then stupidly thought maybe resigning him was the best move last off season as we had no other options, combined with his off season work with Pop I was flat out wrong when I thought we should give him a second chance. I was right at first, then wrong the second time.

Meh give kudos to the F.O for going all in the past 2 seasons-- trying to realistically use their assets to field the best team possible. They were willing to spend the money and considering all the realistic possibilities, Jefferson was one of the few realistic ways they could enhance their talent level.

That being said, Jefferson never was and didn't effect their rebuilding process like many moaned about ( their cap was going to be all used up the majority of R.J's new contract because of Manu, Tim and Tony being locked up), so I didn't and don't understand all the fuss there.

Spurs tried to go all in and it didn't work out, it happens in sports-- ask the Yankees about it.

Fortunately enough, the Spurs are able to get rid of the bad fit earlier than anticipated. This will allow them to shake things up again this year and use all their assets to shove all-in perhaps one last time. :toast

objective
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Spurs finally did the right thing.

This is great news, and stop worrying about Matt Bonner playing SF.

Leonard plays SF. James Anderson can play SF. Manu can play SF when they go small with Parker and Neal in the backcourt. Danny Green showed more heart and hustle in limited time last year than RJ showed his entire tenure. And D.Butler is still an option.

They are FINE at SF if Pop and RC realize that they need to gamble on youth like they did in 03.

But, I do feel bad for people who actually get their news from sites like 48 Minutes of Hell, who did their RJ amnesty rumor talk (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/richard-jefferson-spurs-amnesty-trade) 3-on-3 and none of them could even piece together the very simple breakdown I did beforehand (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5492009&postcount=66) on this forum as to why it made sense fo the Spurs to cut him. Those guys spend too much time worshipping Matt Bonner to actually use logic and reason so that they aren't blindsided.

objective
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
-double post-

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Meh give kudos to the F.O for going all in the past 2 seasons trying to realistically use their assets to field the best team possible. They were willing to spend the money and considering all the realistic possibilities, Jefferson was one of the few realistic ways they could enhance their talent level.

That being said, Jefferson never was and didn't effect their rebuilding process post-Duncan era ( Their cap was going to be all used up w/Manu-Tony and Tim locked up anyway), so I don't understand all the fuss.

Spurs tried to go all in and it didn't work out, it happens in sports.

Fortunately enough, the Spurs are able to get rid of the bad fit earlier than anticipated. This will allow them to shake things up again this year and use all their assets to shove all-in perhaps one last time. :tu

:tu

objective
12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't want any other SFs on the team to be honest, except maybe Grant Hill because his deal would so short.

Caron Butler's kneecap did the Dougie.

How can he be what he was now that he's going to be what, 32 by end of year?

Josh Howard has been a shell of himself since his injury.

The only benefit I truly see with Butler is that I'm confident he wouldn't be soft and no-hustle like RJ. RJ became a negative to even have on the court, I would hope Caron wouldn't be.

Ice009
12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Fortunately enough, the Spurs are able to get rid of the bad fit earlier than anticipated. This will allow them to shake things up again this year and use all their assets to shove all-in perhaps one last time. :toast

Earlier than anticipated? They should have tried to trade him after his first month here. They should have been shopping him since then IMO.

There was only two or three people here that said it very early on how much of a crap fit he was. Everyone else on this board at the time said we had NO IDEA what we're talking about. Nearly everyone else was late to the party, including the Spurs FO. I may have been a little too early to the party though.

objective
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
and for people who make excuses for RJ because of the system or his role, something I've posted before (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5238339&postcount=52) but now with new stats:

The most annoying thing with RJ on this board is when people make excuses for him over his role and how he used to be a 20 point scorer when he was featured.

Ron Harper changed his whole career around based on being a role player. Harper was a big scorer like RJ. His first 8 years, he averaged about 19 points a game. He went to Chicago to be a big scorer in the absence of MJ. But he was a terrible fit and then MJ came back and there was even less need of a scorer.

So he changed his entire game to become one of the best role players in the league. This was a guy who in his last year in LA was getting 17.8 FGA per game. The years of the Bulls titles? 6.3, 5.3, 8.1. So stop crying about the system and touches. His game changed.

Ron Harper did it. Richard Jefferson didn't. I don't know if it's because he's too soft or too lazy or not smart enough, but he has zero excuses. He's being paid more than enough to play his ass off with intelligent plays and tough defense without being a top 2 option.

Jefferson is a disgrace and the writing was on the wall before his contract was ever signed, too bad a lot of people including the Spurs refused to read it.

bottom line: touches or no touches, lobs or no lobs, RJ didn't or couldn't do the other things that would help the Spurs chances. NO EXCUSES.

objective
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Earlier than anticipated? They should have tried to trade him after his first month here. They should have been shopping him since then IMO.

There was only two or three people here that said it very early on how much of a crap fit he was. Everyone else on this board at the time said we had NO IDEA what we're talking about. Nearly everyone else was late to the party, including the Spurs FO. I may have been a little too early to the party though.

Exactly.

The facts were there for all to see.

This is the sort of multi-million dollar screw-up that could cost someone in the front office his job. Lindsay better watch his back, because RC is bulletproof.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
RJ is gone. Let it go.

You would think this would please everyone.

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Glad this underachiever is out. Hopefully we can grab Shane Battier to take over at SF. Probably one of the better defensive SFs available.

Laredoart
12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, RJ is out and that is good. In the other hand if we sign a Defense First SF that way he can show Leonard the ropes of the NBA, then if we sign Butler or Howard then we can send them with MC, Blair or Bonner(Even if I believe that POP is not letting Bonner go) then we can make a trade with somebody that needs a SF for a BIG MAN.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Everyone could tell he wasn't the ideal Bowen fit here the first year, not just 2 or 3 people.

And the Spurs' F.O wasn't completely off base for the fact that the new restructured deal saved them over 20 million last season and at the same time, it allowed them to field the most talented team possible considering the realistic possibilities.

I guarantee you if the realistic SF options included a Caron Butler or Josh Howard last year, they wouldn't have tipped Jefferson to opt out to restructure him. Instead, they would have most likely let him expire or traded him for expirings of much inferior talent and signed different talented SF. But talented realistic substitutes for Jefferson weren't realistically available last off-season and the Spurs' brass didn't want to throw in the towel and waste one of the big 3's last years by electing to go with a Bobby Simmons at the starting SF spot. Combine that theory with the fact that Jefferson's restructured deal saved them over 20 million last year, it was a heady move for the Spurs. IMO

Going back to the 09-10' season, Spurs weren't willing to trade his expiring to take back unwanted salary for multiple years (that was going to be the only realistic offer for Jefferson-- teams with unwanted salary in order for them to shed cap space after the 11' season). Sorry but your dreamland scenario, where Spurs should have traded Jefferson's 14 million dollar contract in 10' for Dwight Howard or LeBron wasn't going to happen.

loveforthegame
12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Good news. Let another team worry about him now.

Hopefully the Spurs have someone lined up now.

Ice009
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Going back to the 09-10' season, Spurs weren't willing to trade his expiring to take back unwanted salary for multiple years (that was going to be the only realistic offer for Jefferson-- teams with unwanted salary in order for them to shed cap space after the 11' season). Sorry but your dreamland scenario, where Spurs should have traded Jefferson's 14 million dollar contract in 10' for Dwight Howard or LeBron wasn't going to happen.

I didn't say resigning him was a bad move. It was obviously a prearranged move to save them from paying the luxury tax. I never said it was a bad move, we had no other choices at the time so it was the best move they could make to stay in contention. I wanted him gone before it came to that though.

There would also have been other players they could have traded him for that were better fits on the team even if they did have bad contracts with multiple years left on them.

And where did I say anything about getting back a player of Dwight Howard's caliber for RJ's expiring contract? Don't go making stuff up. I just wanted back a player that fit better on the team that wasn't such a soft player. Sjax would have been OK with me, even with remaining years on his contract. That's the type of replacement I was after. I know you couldn't get anyone great with RJ's expiring.

Plus, as a bonus you could have used the amnesty option on that player right now if they didn't work out.

lefty
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
@FakeCoachPop

Finally found the receipt on Richard Jefferson. Luckily the NBA return policy is customer friendly.

Seventyniner
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM
@FakeCoachPop

Finally found the receipt on Richard Jefferson. Luckily the NBA return policy is customer friendly.

:lol
FakeCoachPop is awesome. Can't wait to see what he thinks of TJ Ford and (?)Caron Butler.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Spurs best shot at a good big is already on this team. If Tiago doesn't deliver, then this team is toast but they're better off rolling the Dice (see what I did there?!!?!) with Splitter and taking a chance on a free agent SF.

Its a huge long shot, but its the best they have.

Dex
12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
lol RJ finding out he is getting dumped on Twitter

lefty
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
lol RJ finding out he is getting dumped on Twitter

Oh yeah

Danny.Zhu
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I prefer Battier.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, RJ is out and that is good. In the other hand if we sign a Defense First SF that way he can show Leonard the ropes of the NBA, then if we sign Butler or Howard then we can send them with MC, Blair or Bonner(Even if I believe that POP is not letting Bonner go) then we can make a trade with somebody that needs a SF for a BIG MAN.

dumb.

nobody would sign with the spurs just to be a trade chip. doing that to a free agent right after signing them would immediately sink the spurs rep as a class franchise and completely obliterate their reputation in the eyes of every single nba player ever.

dumb dumb dumb.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
very little discussion being geared towards tayshaun prince on here. probably the best defensive option out there, i realize there hasnt been much buzz concerning him and the spurs out there, but in my eyes he and caron, with battier next, are head and shoulders above all other options.

howard: irrelevant for a couple years by now

carter: oh my lord don't get me started. he would be rj 2.0. same d, same effort, same stats probably, he would just need 5 more shots a game to get em.

NickiRasgo
12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I have some question. Haven't read about the amnesty but what is the advantage and disadvantage of using amnesty to a player?

Another one, if RJ didn't opted-out his contract last offseason, he's a free-agent this offseason right?

Spurtacus
12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Bye RJ. Thanks for nothing.

NickiRasgo
12-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok I'm backreading, so the advantages could be:

-We can use Full MLE.
-We can pay lesser so I hope that some team could sign him almost half of his contract annually.
-We could land Butler, better than RJ I think.

If Spurs fail to get Kaman, Oak, Thompson, or Ty Thomas, they sould look to deal players for picks and start the rebiuld. Next years draft is very strong and will have lots of bigs who can be stars.

Im sure Tim, Manu and TP can all bring in a high first rounder....I would rather trade them get value and send them out in style than watch them flounder and we end up getting the 22 pick a likely role player at best.

Hell, see if Okl would take Tim give us a first rounder and Serge and or Harding/ Maynor. Okl be fav in the West, Tim may get another ring and we get good young talent to start rebiuld.

Manu to Houst, for Patterson, future picks.....they get a leader who can do it all we get a young PF with upsided and picks.

TP to Tor for Davis, Calderon and a first rounder.....We get a young defensive big, a solid pg and future picks

I rather see a losing Spurs with the Big 3 rather than trading one of them for picks. They should retire here.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Is no one else just really shocked they amnestied RJ? Anyways, with him gone, even with no other additions I feel the Spurs can be better off than they were last year (not necessarily with regular season wins, but better shot at a playoff series win). I feel this way because it will force Pop to play someone with energy and hustle at the SF spot and that is what they need. I also am hoping Tiago plays because they will be better defensively because of it. Those things right there will make them better, even if it's not nearly enough to truly contend.

Ice009
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Do you think if we package Dice's contract with Bonner and Blair, would that get us a serviceable big man? or a more realistic package would be Dice and Blair, getting rid of Bonner would be a bonus.