PDA

View Full Version : Woman Who Attacked ObamaCare Apologizes After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

JoeChalupa
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
http://jezebel.com/5865791/woman-who-attacked-obamacare-apologizes-after-breast-cancer-diagnosis

Today in a L.A. Times op-ed, a woman who was so upset with President Obama for having "let down the struggling middle class" that she switched her registration from Democrat to Independent and altered her Obama bumpers sticker to read "Got Nope" is apologizing to the President. She says that while she was angered by Obama's plan, she's suddenly come to appreciate it, now that she's benefitting from it personally.

Two years ago, Spike Dolomite Ward and her husband had to choose between paying their mortgage or keeping their health insurance. They kept the house, and now at 49 Ward has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She didn't know how she'd afford months of expensive treatment, until he discovered the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan, which is part of Obama's healthcare plan. Now she's publicly "outed" herself in the hopes that she can teach ObamaCare opponents that the uninsured aren't just lazy freeloaders. She writes:

What I want people to understand is that, if this could happen to us, it could happen to anybody. If you are fortunate enough to still be employed and have insurance through your employers, you may feel insulated from the sufferings of people like me right now. But things can change abruptly. If you still have a good job with insurance, that doesn't mean that you're better than me, more deserving than me or smarter than me. It just means that you are luckier. And access to healthcare shouldn't depend on luck.

Ward's right, and she deserves credit for admitting she was wrong. It's just a shame that most people who are rabidly against enabling all Americans to have healthcare coverage won't have a change of heart unless they're put in a similarly horrible situation.

:tu Damn right.

Agloco
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Perspective and context....... If only another 10% of the populace fully appreciated what those bring to the table.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Fake name, fake story.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
:)

cheguevara
12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
1 down 150 million to go

EVAY
12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
http://jezebel.com/5865791/woman-who-attacked-obamacare-apologizes-after-breast-cancer-diagnosis

Today in a L.A. Times op-ed, a woman who was so upset with President Obama for having "let down the struggling middle class" that she switched her registration from Democrat to Independent and altered her Obama bumpers sticker to read "Got Nope" is apologizing to the President. She says that while she was angered by Obama's plan, she's suddenly come to appreciate it, now that she's benefitting from it personally.

Two years ago, Spike Dolomite Ward and her husband had to choose between paying their mortgage or keeping their health insurance. They kept the house, and now at 49 Ward has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She didn't know how she'd afford months of expensive treatment, until he discovered the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan, which is part of Obama's healthcare plan. Now she's publicly "outed" herself in the hopes that she can teach ObamaCare opponents that the uninsured aren't just lazy freeloaders. She writes:

What I want people to understand is that, if this could happen to us, it could happen to anybody. If you are fortunate enough to still be employed and have insurance through your employers, you may feel insulated from the sufferings of people like me right now. But things can change abruptly. If you still have a good job with insurance, that doesn't mean that you're better than me, more deserving than me or smarter than me. It just means that you are luckier. And access to healthcare shouldn't depend on luck.

Ward's right, and she deserves credit for admitting she was wrong. It's just a shame that most people who are rabidly against enabling all Americans to have healthcare coverage won't have a change of heart unless they're put in a similarly horrible situation.

:tu Damn right.

Thanks for posting. Good story.

spursncowboys
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I might be mistaken but wasn't that the healthcare reform laws in 94 that did this? I was under the impression that ObamaCare Pre Existing part didn't go into affect until 2014? Also FTR for individuals Cal is 12 months and TX is 2 years, for individuals and before ObamaCare.

SnakeBoy
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
http://spikedolomite.com/index.htm

mouse
12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Perspective and context....... If only another 10% of the populace fully appreciated what those bring to the table.

Chances are she would have never got breast cancer w/o the radiation is good for you supporters like Agloco.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I might be mistaken but wasn't that the healthcare reform laws in 94 that did this? I was under the impression that ObamaCare Pre Existing part didn't go into affect until 2014? Also FTR for individuals Cal is 12 months and TX is 2 years, for individuals and before ObamaCare.I'll just assume you are mistaken.

Agloco
12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Chances are she would have never got breast cancer w/o the radiation is good for you supporters like Agloco.

What are you babbling on about?

LnGrrrR
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
If she wanted to have both health insurance AND a home, she should've worked a little harder. Freeloader.

LnGrrrR
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM

:cry :cry People never got cancer before nuclear power :cry :cry

boutons_deux
12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
SNC, there's a bridge over the gap to 2014:

"This program may be able to help you, if you’ve been locked out of the insurance market, until 2014. In 2014, you will have access to affordable health insurance choices through a new competitive marketplace called an Exchange and you will no longer be discriminated against based on a pre-existing condition."

https://www.pcip.gov/LearnMore.html