PDA

View Full Version : Report: TJ Ford leaning toward signing with Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

TD 21
12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
AlexKennedyNBA (http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA) Alex Kennedy

Unrestricted free agent T.J. Ford is leaning toward signing with the San Antonio Spurs, according to league source.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I think he would be a GREAT fit! :tu

edgar
12-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes! Shaping up to be a great free agency period! Haven't felt this excited since the time we got Michael Finley and Nick Van Excel!

:downspin:

crc21209
12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I :lol at this one:

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
Roger Mason Jr. is leaning toward signing with the Washington Wizards, according to league source.
39 minutes ago

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Butler and Ford would be nice.

Now we need help in the frontcourt.

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I like that. I don't think Joseph is ready

Tony/Ford/Joseph
Manu/Neal/Anderson
Free Agent SF/Leonard/Anderson

Mugen
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
solid pickup if it happens. Tho I hope TJ is ready for some mins at SF.

Steve-O-Matic
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Hollinger on Ford.....

+ Tiny, aggressive, up-tempo point guard who goes right nearly every time.

+ Rebounds very well for size. Struggles on defense due to size, iffy effort.

+ Has selfish reputation. Poor shooter, but will take jumpers early in clock.

Out of the league's 68 point guards, Ford was 67th in True Shooting Percentage, 67th in secondary percentage, 59th in turnover rate, 59th in shooting percentage and 60th in PER. No, it wasn't much of a year for Ford, and at 28 his career is in freefall at a time when he should be in his prime.

Ford appears to have a lost a step, which is a bad thing for a short speedster who is generously listed as 6-0. His usage rate dipped, his free throw rate fell sharply, and less than a quarter of his shots came at the rim. Ford averaged only 11.5 points per 40 minutes and shot terribly, as the TS% above shows; he's also basically stopped making 3s, converting only 14 in the past two seasons.

Ford's defensive effort was more consistent last season than in previous years, and he does help out on the glass. However, he also fouled too much and his size and lack of strength are obvious detriments against bigger guards.

But the biggest obstacle for Ford is his selfish reputation. He's no longer talented enough to call his own number every time he clears a pick going right, and his act clearly wore thin in Indiana. As a free agent, perhaps a fresh start someplace else will provide the needed wake-up call to revive his flagging career.

Sense
12-07-2011, 07:54 PM
^ I have no idea why Spursfan would want this guy...

Russ
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
It's always the little moves (e.g., Bowen) that no one talks about that make the big impact.

While the bigger names "mull," the Spurs sign a guy who fits their needs perfectly.

This off-season just keeps getting better and better. (Well, if it's true, that is.)

DesignatedT
Don't buy totally into that bs by hollinger.

stephen jackson
called it last night, after he asked manu to follow him.
great fit love it

timvp
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
WTF? Ford sucks. He's a ballhog who isn't really good at anything. He's like if Jacque Vaughn didn't try on defense, dribbled 20 times more often and shot every other time he touched it.

Over the last couple years, he's been the worst PG in the league.

:pctoss

Muser
12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't know why everyone's getting so excited over this.

:lmao comparing this pickup to the Bowen pickup.

Nathan89
12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Hollinger on Ford.....

+ Tiny, aggressive, up-tempo point guard who goes right nearly every time.

+ Rebounds very well for size. Struggles on defense due to size, iffy effort.

+ Has selfish reputation. Poor shooter, but will take jumpers early in clock.

Out of the league's 68 point guards, Ford was 67th in True Shooting Percentage, 67th in secondary percentage, 59th in turnover rate, 59th in shooting percentage and 60th in PER. No, it wasn't much of a year for Ford, and at 28 his career is in freefall at a time when he should be in his prime.

Ford appears to have a lost a step, which is a bad thing for a short speedster who is generously listed as 6-0. His usage rate dipped, his free throw rate fell sharply, and less than a quarter of his shots came at the rim. Ford averaged only 11.5 points per 40 minutes and shot terribly, as the TS% above shows; he's also basically stopped making 3s, converting only 14 in the past two seasons.

Ford's defensive effort was more consistent last season than in previous years, and he does help out on the glass. However, he also fouled too much and his size and lack of strength are obvious detriments against bigger guards.

But the biggest obstacle for Ford is his selfish reputation. He's no longer talented enough to call his own number every time he clears a pick going right, and his act clearly wore thin in Indiana. As a free agent, perhaps a fresh start someplace else will provide the needed wake-up call to revive his flagging career.

Well I was alright with it but... Fuck that's bad.

Just give me Pargo.

VBM
12-07-2011, 08:00 PM
We need post defense, not more guards

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
WTF? Ford sucks. He's a ballhog who isn't really good at anything. He's like if Jacque Vaughn didn't try on defense, dribbled 20 times more often and shot every other time he touched it.

I dunno. He got Rick Barnes to the Final Four (a feat of Biblical proportions). :)

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
We need post defense, not more guards
we need alot of shit.

ima prophet

tj ford is sayin hes agreed with a team, and a few tweets before he tweeted manu to follow back? maybe hes comin here?
:blah

spursince#99
12-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Do . NOT . Want . EVER . Like WTF??? Have you ever seen this guy play? Are you guys retarted? He will ruin our team with the limited role he will have. This guy is a complete locker room cancer. PASS

timvp
12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I was making a list of 20 best veteran backup point guards the Spurs could sign and deleted TJ Ford's name off the list because I didn't believe any reasonable team would think he's still an NBA quality player.

Hopefully it's not true and the Spurs are just trying to coax a couple Longhorn homers into buying season tickets.

edgar

:nope

Wrong...

He would be a great signing. :lobt:

Mugen
I was making a list of 20 best veteran backup point guards the Spurs could sign and deleted TJ Ford's name off the list because I didn't believe any reasonable team would think he's still an NBA quality player.

Hopefully it's not true and the Spurs are just trying to coax a couple Longhorn homers into buying season tickets :shootme

:lol

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Don't know why everyone's getting so excited over this.

:lmao comparing this pickup to the Bowen pickup.

Nobody thought much about the Bowen pickup AT THE TIME.

Problem is, history is rewritten by those without memory.

That was the point (and, no, TJ Ford will not impact the team like Bowen did -- but maybe like Speedy Claxton who also contributed to a title).

Nathan89
Spurs trying to please casual fans with a former longhorn. :bang

portnoy1

:pctoss hmmmm.......a point guard who doesn't try on defense, dribbles alot and is always looking for his shot. Thankfully there is no one like that on the Spurs roster. Wait a minute.......???????

angelbelow
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I dont like this at all. TJ Ford was a player i followed closely why he was in his prime (played for the raptors then) and hes a ballhog. His defense isnt above average but its not far below.

Problem is that hes likely a Nick Van Exel #2 but he can't shoot 3s. We should pass unless its for the minimum.

TD 21
12-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I get the signing. If Parker were to go down for any length of time, they'd have been in trouble. And even if he stays upright the entire season, even he will probably need the odd game off and more games than usual where his minutes are managed. To have another true PG, with quickness and the ability to score (albeit inefficiently), makes sense.

On the other hand, Ford is a perpetual malcontent, has an extremely inflated sense of self worth, is at best an erratic shooter, a sub par defender and isn't exactly known for being pass first. I wouldn't quite say he's the anti-Spur, but he's within striking difference.

Since it's almost certainly one year for the veteran's minimum, they probably view it as low risk/(reasonably) high reward. If he's not playing much and is pouting, they could easily cut him at any point. But like Butler/Howard, I don't see this as a great fit.

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Hopefully it's not true and the Spurs are just trying to coax a couple Longhorn homers into buying season tickets.

Check his career stats -- not bad for someone to bring in as a backup point guard.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tj_ford/career_stats.html

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
:lmao

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 08:20 PM

:lmao jason kapono

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM

He's better than any PG on the Lakers. :rollin

DarkGinobili
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM

LOL :rollin:rollin:rollin

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 08:25 PM

:lmao Derek Fisher :lmao

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:25 PM

We won 5 championships with Fisher....pg is the most overrated position in the game

lefty
12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Fuck yes !!!!!

I've always liked TJ Ford :tu

And he can't be worse than TP

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
:lmao jason kapono

Lakerfans arent nutting themselves over this signing :lol

Otoh, spurfan clearly is over their scrub (read thread)

Obstructed_View
Maybe people are getting him confused with DJ Augustin.

Russ
We won 5 championships with Fisher....pg is the most overrated position in the game

Easy to say until now -- when you're no longer running the triple post offense.

(Also, I didn't say TJ was better than Fisher when he won those titles -- he's just better today than Fish is.)

objective
TJ Ford is living off the rep he had before he fell on his neck one too many times.

I doubt he could even be a useful 12 minute a night guy on a vet minimum deal.

But on the plus side, he might be so bad that Pop would consider playing Joseph.

angelbelow
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I get the signing. If Parker were to go down for any length of time, they'd have been in trouble. And even if he stays upright the entire season, even he will probably need the odd game off and more games than usual where his minutes are managed. To have another true PG, with quickness and the ability to score (albeit inefficiently), makes sense.

On the other hand, Ford is a perpetual malcontent, has an extremely inflated sense of self worth, is at best an erratic shooter, a sub par defender and isn't exactly known for being pass first. I wouldn't quite say he's the anti-Spur, but he's within striking difference.

Since it's almost certainly one year for the veteran's minimum, they probably view it as low risk/(reasonably) high reward. If he's not playing much and is pouting, they could easily cut him at any point. But like Butler/Howard, I don't see this as a great fit.

True, but there must be better options out there right? Admittingly I haven't really followed the NBA since like game 4 of the first round vs. the Grizzles so I don't really know/remember who else is a FA right now. I guess I'll wait for Timvp's list of top FA for the spurs.

lefty
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Magic Johnson

Just a thought

stephen jackson
12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
if he works out or not who cares. hes not makin or breaking the team.
at least the spot is filled for now

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Fuck yes !!!!!

I've always liked TJ Ford :tu

And he can't be worse than TP
Yeah there about same, TP just doesn't complain as much and is allowed alot of freedom to play his game. I dont know if Pop will do that with Ford.

DeadlyDynasty
Esay to say until now -- when you're no longer playing the triple post offense.

(Also, I didn't say TJ was better than Fisher when he won those titles -- he's just better today than Fish is.)

Anybody's better than Fish now. The point is that pg's are vastly overrated in the NBA. If this was March Madness where guards are the focal points, then it'd be a different story.

timvp
Check his career stats -- not bad for someone to bring in as a backup point guard.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tj_ford/career_stats.html

It's the last two seasons in which he fell off a cliff. He plays like he thinks he's still a star point guard even though his body is worn down and he's lost about two steps from his prime. You could literally hear Pacers fans grown whenever he got on the court because all he ever does anymore is dribble until someone sets a screen and then shoots a mid-range jumper while floating to his right. It has almost been comical watching him recently.

The only hope is that now that he's out from under that huge contract he'll stop trying to prove he's the second coming of Allen Iverson. He has decent enough vision but it's been hard to tell recently when he's spent every minute on the court pounding the air out of the ball.

For a guy who was supposedly one of the fastest players in the league not too long ago, he has looked pretty damn slow and generally out of shape. Again, maybe now that he's no longer depositing those huge checks he'll rededicate himself. But I think it's more likely that his neck injury just brought upon a quicker decline than expected.

I hope I'm wrong but it's difficult to imagine Ford being even a decent backup at this point in his career.

lefty
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
oops my sarcasm detector is off

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
It's the last two seasons in which he fell off a cliff. He plays like he thinks he's still a star point guard even though his body is worn down and he's lost about two steps from his prime. You could literally hear Pacers fans grown whenever he got on the court because all he ever does anymore is dribble until someone sets a screen and then shoots a mid-range jumper while floating to his right. It has almost been comical watching him recently.

The only hope is that now that he's out from under that huge contract he'll stop trying to prove he's the second coming of Allen Iverson. He has decent enough vision but it's been hard to tell recently when he's spent every minute on the court pounding the air out of the ball.

For a guy who was supposedly one of the fastest players in the league not too long ago, he has looked pretty damn slow and generally out of shape. Again, maybe now that he's no longer depositing those huge checks he'll rededicate himself. But I think it's more likely that his neck injury just brought upon a quicker decline than expected.

I hope I'm wrong but it's difficult to imagine Ford being even a decent backup at this point in his career.

That would be my only caveat -- maybe he can't regain his past form.

timvp
Warning to CoM: Tony Parker is John Stockton compared to TJ Ford. Prepare to demand his head on a platter three games into the regular season.

DeadlyDynasty
Magic Johnson

Just a thought

That was 20+ years ago, just a thought. The game has changed drastically since then, and the majority of nba champions since have had meh pg's:

Bj armstrong
Fisher
Maxwell
White chocolate
Old kidd
Young rondo

Russ
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
That was 20+ years ago, just a thought. The game has changed drastically since then, and the majority of nba champions since have had meh pg's:

Bj armstrong
Fisher
Maxwell
White chocolate
Old kidd
Young rondo

TP got Finals MVP in '07.

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Avery johnson
Ron harper

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
TP got Finals MVP in '07.

Read "majority"

Two finals mvps in the last 20 years were pgs

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Funny, it seems that having a bunch of crappy PGs last season dommed yall against the Mavs.

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Warning to CoM: Tony Parker is John Stockton compared to TJ Ford. Prepare to demand his head on a platter three games into the regular season.
I wonder who would feel insulted more. Tony Parker has piss-poor PG instincts/court vision, but has a ton of rings and mvp on top. While Stockton is a selfless pure playmaker, all time assist leader but doesnt have one piece of hardware to show for it.

ajballer4
12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Dont like it. We are talking about a guy who got benched for AJ Price in INDIANA.

TD 21
12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
True, but there must be better options out there right? Admittingly I haven't really followed the NBA since like game 4 of the first round vs. the Grizzles so I don't really know/remember who else is a FA right now. I guess I'll wait for Timvp's list of top FA for the spurs.

Not unless you're a Telfair fan (he's rumored on his way to the Suns). Ford has historically been a better scorer anyway. Watson isn't that type of player, he's like a better version of Vaughn. They could have waited for Robinson's buyout to be completed, but he's likely to cost more than the veteran's minimum. Or they could have waited to see if Mills get's cut, but he's less proven and that may not happen until near the end of camp.

He may not be a great fit, but he'll probably be the third PG, used during hectic stretches to keep Parker's minutes down and the odd time to sit him out entirely. He may have lost a half step, but he's still a quick PG, capable of getting in the lane and providing some scoring. And they're going to need those qualities when they limit Parker's minutes or sit him out, especially if that's done in tandem with Ginobili.

You may not like it, but it's not like it's going to greatly alter the team's fortunes. Best case scenario is, he helps them win a few games during hectic stretches, which would help their seeding. Worst case scenario is, he's the 11-12 version of Stoudemire.

Man In Black
If TJ Ford could channel Speedy Claxton, then I'm down. If he can't well... at least he's from Texas?

lefty

Bj armstrong
Fisher
Maxwell
White chocolate
Old kidd
Young rondo
Old Kidd!

Thank you :tu

Ice009
12-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I wonder who would feel insulted more. Tony Parker has piss-poor PG instincts/court vision, but has a ton of rings and mvp on top. While Stockton is a selfless pure playmaker, all time assist leader but doesnt have one piece of hardware to show for it.

What do you think of TJ Ford? I know you're a PG purist, so what would you say if the Spurs signed Ford?

edit : lol maybe we shouldn't touch him because I just typed RJ Ford before editing it.

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Funny, it seems that having a bunch of crappy PGs last season dommed yall against the Mavs.

Funny, it seems you forgot Pau's menstrual cramps in the playoffs.

Speaking of great pg's, we sure couldve used a former finals mvp who was used as a jizzrag by mike conley :tu

Holden_Caulfield
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
i approve of this signing.

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
What do you think of TJ Ford? I know you're a PG purist, so what would you say if the Spurs signed Ford?

edit : lol maybe we shouldn't touch him because I just typed RJ Ford before editing it.
He can run an offense, has a slightly worse jumpshot than TP, slightly better court vision than TP. With that said, I wanted him as a backup for a while. I dont want neal or Manu doing that.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM

How long you expect him to play IF the Spurs bite?

I'm getting ready to see Tony and Manu alternate the starter PG duties on back2back days. I can only envision him getting over 10 mpg on back2back2back, and there's only two of those all season long.

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Funny, it seems you forgot Pau's menstrual cramps in the playoffs.

Speaking of great pg's, we sure couldve used a former finals mvp who was used as a jizzrag by mike conley :tu

How about an entire defending champion quad being the "jizzrag" of the Mavs?

:stfu

roycrikside
12-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Pop and RC lost their fastballs a long time ago, LJ. I don't know what more proof you need of that. The drafts the past few years, the free agent signings, RJ... these guys clearly no longer have their fingers on the pulse of who can play and who cannot. Their track record these past five years has been awful. AWFUL. Riding Big Three for years and years and surrounding them with players who are awful defensively, don't rebound, can't create shots for themselves or others and come up small when it matters most. I mean you talk about basketball tools and most of the guys they get are one tool players at best. Their talent evaluation skills are garbage.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Pop and RC lost their fastballs a long time ago, LJ. I don't know what more proof you need of that. The drafts the past few years, the free agent signings, RJ... these guys clearly no longer have their fingers on the pulse of who can play and who cannot. Their track record these past five years has been awful. AWFUL. Riding Big Three for years and years and surrounding them with players who are awful defensively, don't rebound, can't create shots for themselves or others and come up small when it matters most. I mean you talk about basketball tools and most of the guys they get are one tool players at best. Their talent evaluation skills are garbage.

You're saying we miss Sam Presti? :hat

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 09:02 PM

How about a 61-win veteran-laden team getting skullfucked by an 8th seeded Grizzlies franchise that previously had never won a playoff game?

This game is fun!

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM

They got swept because of Pau. If he showed up and took it to dirk 25/10/2 style the Lakers would have won. The Hornets series wouldve been over quicker as well. Pau naturally would have trouble with Dirk, but on the other end Dirk has no chance of guarding Pau. NO CHANCE!!!!!!

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
They got swept because of Pau. If he showed up and took it to dirk 25/10/2 style the Lakers would have won. The Hornets series wouldve been over quicker as well. Pau naturally would have trouble with Dirk, but on the other end Dirk has no chance of guarding Pau. NO CHANCE!!!!!!

He gets it.

ploto
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Love TJ personally but would not want him on my team. He has never been the same since he got hurt in the game in Atlanta. I promise you will love him 20% of the time and curse him 80%.

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
He gets it.
I'm no Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but no team except maybe the Blazers or the Grizzlies could've beaten them in a seven game series. Point Guards can light up fisher all day(CP3, Nash, D-WIll, Parker, Westbrook and some guy Aaron Brooks) but in the end its all those block shots, post points and offensive putbacks that kill you. Three good bog men beat speedy point guards anytime. You gotta have size to beat the Lakers, or hope the team is going thru one of those fazes (See 2011 Mavs, taking advantage).

MannyIsGod
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
TJ Ford is living off the rep he had before he fell on his neck one too many times.

I doubt he could even be a useful 12 minute a night guy on a vet minimum deal.

But on the plus side, he might be so bad that Pop would consider playing Joseph.

Have you forgotten how much pop played NVE and Jacque Vaughn when they were bad?

Nathan89
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Tell me this is just to throw all the other teams off of J.Pargo. Then the spurs move in for the quick signing. Brilliant strategy, IMHO.

objective
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Have you forgotten how much pop played NVE and Jacque Vaughn when they were bad?

you're right, you're right.

That's why I qualified it with 'consider', but you are correct. If Ford was really bad then Pop would play him until they were down 3-1 in the playoffs.

DeadlyDynasty
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Agreed, and that's part of the reason i'm not gung ho about getting Chris Paul. He matters little in the scheme of things. Howard, otoh, ensures that LA will be dominant for years to come. Team up the best defensive big in the game (howard) with one of the best offensive ones (gasol), add Kobe on the wing and it doesnt matter who your pg is. Put stephen hawking at point for all i care.

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
:yield

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa awhwhawhhwhawhwhwhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

Longhorn nation baby.

I've only been waiting for this for TJ's last 2 fucking Free Agent cycles

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa awhwhawhhwhawhwhwhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

Longhorn nation baby.

I've only been waiting for this for TJ's last 2 fucking Free Agent cycles

:ban:

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
TJ Ford is good. My only doubt is his ability to stay healthy for a season, even playing backup pg minutes.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM

TJ was something I mentioned a couple weeks ago and I'm happy if this is true. Not because I think he is some amazing game changer, but because he's a vet with starter experience that showed some glimpses of being damn solid posting 3 years in a row PER numbers of something like 20, 18 & 16. I know it's been declining since then, but I feel it is more mental and attitude then that steep of a drop off.

I'm not gushing or thrilled, but that back up PG FA pool is absolutely terrible and if you are going to choose, I'd rather take a flyer on a guy that if he gets his head right (big if) at least has some sort of ceiling where he can actually help. He's a broke ass version of TP, but he still has potential IMO to be a better than average back up. A guy that even though he can't shoot and can be a little sticky, will make decision and can get you some damn points occasionally. Not much else you could hope for with your minimum player IMO.

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
seems like they are trying to get Ford so he can start on some of the back2backs. if it was a reg 82 game season & hes playing 10 mins game i would be for it but i see him getting alot of play time this season.

whats everyones thoughts on Acie Law?

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
whats everyones thoughts on Acie Law?

Under contract in Europe without an NBA out clause.

objective
12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Vogel immediately benching Ford for what was nearly the rest of the season was one of the moves that turned their season around.

Maybe if he's surrounded by better players, sure, but typically when players are sat down and the team gets better, then the problem isn't the other talent but with the sitting player.

monkeypunk
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Under contract in Europe without an NBA out clause.
How stupid do those guys feel now?

Brainiacs...

Danny.Zhu
12-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Please don't.

loveforthegame
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Alex Kennedy Twitter:

T.J. Ford to San Antonio, Roger Mason to Washington, Sebastian Telfair to Phoenix and more in the free agency diary: http://tinyurl.com/7acsymx

In the link:

• T.J. Ford is expected to sign with the San Antonio Spurs on Friday, according to a league source. Ford will likely sign for the veteran’s minimum.

Hooks
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
According to hoopsworld Ford will sign on Friday with the spurs for vet min.

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't see how this helps solve the Spurs existing deficiencies along the frontline. The Spurs already have enough scoring. If this guy is still the ball-hog that he used to be and that many on this board claim him to still be, this could backfire.

It could potentially be yet another bad move that signals a one-year, last-run desparation. After all, that's how RJ landed here in the first-place. Pop knew what he was and thought he could change him.

timvp
12-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I promise you will love him 20% of the time and curse him 80%.

That's being generous.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I'll take him for vet min money... He can't be worse than Roger Mason Jr running the point, can he?

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
i really thought he was going to sign with Miami. Maybe a trend will be set & Battier will be the next to sign with the spurs for cheap......I hope.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
He's gonna make jacque vaughn look like jason hart

ElNono
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't see how this helps solve the Spurs existing deficiencies along the frontline.

This would be shoring up the PG position. There's just too many games in too little time and we only have one true PG... you take a flyer on this guy instead of fielding Chris Quinn.

timvp
12-07-2011, 10:20 PM
TJ Ford is good.

TJ was good back when Jesus was the white Vince Young.

ElNono
12-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Now, if they offer him a 3 year contract with a player option on the 3rd season, I'll be pissed.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
As just a veteran backup pg hes fine but i do have doubts.He isnt and never has been a shooter and at his size will more than likely be a liability on d

I think he still has game can score and dish but like others have said he needs the ball in his hands alot

Brazil
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
great... we are about to sign one of the worst pg of the league lol... Gimme a BIG not a jaques not improved version

Pistons < Spurs
12-07-2011, 10:22 PM
tj_ford TJ Ford
SA SA SA SA

ElNono
12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
^ :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 10:24 PM

you undersell him.

he has his obvious limitations but he's not as worthless as you make it seem

if we pay him scraps and he actually cares about playing basketball, it's as good as we can hope to do.

He will start the season a fan-favorite, and by the time he fizzles he will have mentored and helped develop our long-term backup PG Corey

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 10:24 PM
If Pop can't coach TP to tone down his ball-hogging and play the occasional setup man, how in the hell could he ever get TJ Ford to do so?

objective
12-07-2011, 10:27 PM
He's gonna make jacque vaughn look like jason hart

he's going to make Negele Knight look like Reggie Geary.

actually, I don't even know what that means.

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Pop knew what he was and thought he could change him.
There in lies the problem. Get what you need, dont pay money for something you have to fix. Take a slasher like RJ and make him spot-up 3pt shooter. So who knows whats next with Pop.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
he's going to make Negele Knight look like Reggie Geary.

actually, I don't even know what that means.

ohhh oooh reggie geary look like cory alexander

NRHector
12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
If Pop can't coach TP to tone down his ball-hogging and play the occasional setup man, how in the hell could he ever get TJ Ford to do so?because he won 4 ships

Russ
12-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Both TJ and Vince had great success on the national stage for UT.

Jesus, too.

Unlike that guy, NCAA tourney one and done, what's his name, Kevin Durante or something. :)

lefty
12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20Situation/Ignoring/tj091115vsceltics.gif

The ADMIRAL 50
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't understand the hate. Yes, TJ has fallen off big time, but picking him up for the veteran minimum to fill a position of need? Great move. This is a guy with a 14 and 8 year under his belt, and a 15 and 5 year in 2009 (both in 30 mpg), the last time he was healthy. Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, but within the Spurs organization Ford will be given every chance to succeed. I mean honestly, look at our other options for backup pg this year: constantly playing Gary Neal out of position thereby hampering his value, throwing not-NBA ready Cory Jospeh to the wolves, prying Chris Quinn away from russia?! This was the best we could do (especially for the veteran's minimum), and, for this year at least, Ford certainly has a higher ceiling than any back up pg we have had in awhile.

DarkGinobili
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20Situation/Ignoring/tj091115vsceltics.gif

:rollin:rollin:rollin LOL Nice save.

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
If Pop can't coach TP to tone down his ball-hogging and play the occasional setup man, how in the hell could he ever get TJ Ford to do so?
Another problem with this team, Playcalling! Some Pgs like D-will , CP3 and Nash can run an offense with no problem. While other point guards like Westbrook and Tp should have restrictions placed on them. Freedom for a scoring pg is good, but only to a degree. If Pop tells TP that the first 5-6 plays of the EACH quarter are specifically for establishing a postgame, then after that allow him to run around and do his thing.

Kori Ellis
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Eh...he'll play about 10 mpg, so it doesn't matter much. Manu will get some minutes at the backup point too. At least TJ has some experience for TP's handful of missed games.

scottspurs
12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
TJ Ford is the Man. I love this pickup.

Spurtacus
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
If we can still get a good SF and big then I would be content with Ford as the backup PG. At most he's only going to see 10-15 minutes a game with Parker and Manu running the show.

I doubt Cory Joseph is ready especially with the short "offseason".

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I am baffled at the reaction to TJ Ford. So people are saying a minimum level player and backup pg/5th guard on the depth chart will have maybe a few good moments, but more often than not will make you pull your hair out?! What a shocker.

There is nothing in the FA PG pool that the Spurs could have done any better with. They aren't missing out on anything by signing TJ. This is a position that unless the guy exceeds expectations, won't be playing much. From a talent perspective, he's a pretty clear upgrade over most of the back up's the Spurs have had. He, at least in theory, compared to who is avaiable, has some upside for this type of role. It's more likely he is declining and you get nothing from him, but isn't that the case with all the FA PG's available and most every minimum player in this type of situation?

If he's a problem, cut his ass and bring one of the other scrubs that currently is/will be available. There are always trades that can happen.

Even PG's who people would gush over because you've seen them have some great games (Goran Dragic) puts up a ton of stinkers. You've seen TJ have some explosive games before and that's good enough for me. Let's see if this new defined role on a playoff team and stable environment does him some good. If not, it's really no big deal and he's not going to derail anything or goals.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Nobody hacked @tj_ford's twitter page. He said he really plans to sign w the Spurs. I still say Jim O'Brien handled things poorly w TJ.

http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

timvp
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
For the record, I expect that eventually Pop will end up using a Neal and Ginobili tandem as the backup point guard solution. And I'll be fine with that.

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Just got off the phone w @tj_ford . Confirmed to me that he will join the Spurs.

http://twitter.com/DonHarris4

crc21209
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I love the signing...:tu. Like DPG said, the guy's only gonna play about 10-15 mins a night at most, so it's not like he's going to dominate a game. The guy can handle the ball, can distribute it, and can score at times. Nothing more you can ask for. And the guy seems to be pretty excited to be coming to SA, so why wouldnt he be successful here?

gospursgojas
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Good pickup imo.

Yall know you don't have to agree with timvp right? He won't kick you out or anything.

The Truth #6
12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I would have preferred Neal as the backup at first to see how it worked, with an eye towards Joseph's improvement and then if things fell apart pick up some other backup floating around. Because if TJ is nothing more than a last resort, then I don't see the reason to jump on him right away. But...Pop does seem to love players with "something to prove". And hopefully TJ is trying to prove that he can be a successful PG and not return to some mythical level of past excellence.

crc21209
12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Just got off the phone w @tj_ford . Confirmed to me that he will join the Spurs.

http://twitter.com/DonHarris4

I like it....:tu

slick'81
12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/tjford_392.jpg

The Truth #6
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow. So it's official. This opens up a new frontier for midget ball lineups.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Again, it's not like I'm gushing over TJ, but from what's available in the FA PG pool & with all the hate and crazy reactions I find myself rooting for him pretty hard :lol

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-07-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/tjford_392.jpg
looks like you need to replace hill with Ford in your Sig.

ThePop
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I like this move, Joseph is not close to being ready.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I personally like the signing. Nice having another true PG on the roster.

I have never really been impressed with Joseph either. Didn't necessarily like that draft pick.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I personally like the signing. Nice having another true PG on the roster.

unless he goes all nve on us i think hes a solid back up pg

ElNono
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
:lobt2:

:lol

ace3g
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Again, it's not like I'm gushing over TJ, but from what's available in the FA PG pool & with all the hate and crazy reactions I find myself rooting for him pretty hard :lol

Exactly, of all the PG FA, my list would have been TJ Ford and Earl Watson.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 11:21 PM
http://newjawn.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/basedgod.jpg

SenorSpur
12-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I would have preferred Neal as the backup at first to see how it worked, with an eye towards Joseph's improvement and then if things fell apart pick up some other backup floating around. Because if TJ is nothing more than a last resort, then I don't see the reason to jump on him right away. But...Pop does seem to love players with "something to prove". And hopefully TJ is trying to prove that he can be a successful PG and not return to some mythical level of past excellence.

Not me. Had Neal had a full offseason and regular training camp, then perhaps. Besides that, I've always been under the impression that it's a bad move to force players to play out of position. Neal is an undersized, reserve shooting guard and that's where he should stay.

That said, Ford could pickup the backup PG position a lot more quickly than Neal could - because it's his natural position. Now, I don't know about playing Ford and Neal together. Talk about an undersized backcourt!

Bruce Bowen. Michael Finley. Kevin Willis. Kurt Thomas. Pop does indeed love players that have something to prove. Caron Butler, Josh Howard and now T.J. Ford definitely fit into that mold.

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
http://api.plixi.com/api/tpapi.svc/imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F156970508

TJ and Tim.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
They only guy I'd rather have out of the garbage that is this years FA PG pool is Pargo. No one else besides him and TJ to me are even worth the min as there is literally 0 upside.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
:lol If Tim and TJ have been working out and Tim endorses him there's really nothing to fret over given it's such a minimal signing.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
For the record, I expect that eventually Pop will end up using a Neal and Ginobili tandem as the backup point guard solution. And I'll be fine with that.

yeah until it ruins Neal's scrotum like pop did with RMJ, and ginobili PG never works in slow defensive games like what we will see in any potential playoff battle.

I want Neal to be a pristine SG, without any of that PG crap

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I like it....:tu

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4750536203_70c7ce8720.jpg

DesignatedT
12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
That photo was from 3 weeks ago. TJ was working out with Tim and Company during the lockout. He was also apart of that group that consisted of Nene and Hibbert that was floating around here awhile back but wasn't in the photo.

Ice009
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
yeah until it ruins Neal's scrotum like pop did with RMJ, and ginobili PG never works in slow defensive games like what we will see in any potential playoff battle.

I want Neal to be a pristine SG, without any of that PG crap

Yep, I'd rather Neal to not be burdened with having to play backup PG. He can run a play or two here and there, but I'd rather he stick to SG.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2011/12/7/2619644/tj-ford-expected-to-sign-with-spurs-for-vet-minimum

thOOdee
12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
endorsed :tu

Big P
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Solid signing for the minimum.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
What's going to be funny is when the first time TJ struggles how people will go off and say I told you so, ignoring that 90% of min players do nothing and have more bad moments than good.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
What's going to be funny is when the first time TJ struggles how people will go off and say I told you so, ignoring that 90% of min players do nothing and have more bad moments than good.

Nahbrah. I been waiting for this moment since April 1st 2003.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Solid signing for the minimum.

Definitely..I was really worried about Cory Joseph as our main backup...Really excited about Ford..I've been wanting him on the Spurs since he was drafted.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Nahbrah. I been waiting for this moment since April 1st 2003.

lol..exactly what I was thinking.

xtremesteven33
12-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Not the best fit but he still has room for improvement. Pros are he is a proven scorer and can create his own shot but Im sure If Duncan endorsed him then he must have seen something we dont know about him.

Das Texan
12-07-2011, 11:53 PM

RC is drunk again it sounds like. Only possible explanation

Bruno
12-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Well, it sucks but it was expected Spurs wouldn't get a good backup PG. The FA market for cheap vet PG was really bad this year. Aside of Earl Watson, there were no good options.

When pairing with Ginobili in the backcourt, a PG main 2 qualities should be to shoot 3 pointers and to defend. TJ Ford is bad has both. Unless he founds miraculously his pre-injury level back, he will suck. I expect Pop to quickly try the Neal/Ginobili backcourt option.

DPG21920
12-07-2011, 11:56 PM
When Gino and Parker play TP doesn't shoot 3 pointers and although he's a very good defender when engaged, that part of his game sometimes gets put aside since he carries so much of the offensive load.

Nathan89
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
They only guy I'd rather have out of the garbage that is this years FA PG pool is Pargo. No one else besides him and TJ to me are even worth the min as there is literally 0 upside.

The reason I'm not to happy about this. Was looking forward to having one of the most athletic pg's in the league come off the bench. Any team that had bad pg would take a punishment for 48min.

Ditty
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
T.J. Ford will replace Chris Quinn role this year. I still expect Neal to replace Parker when they sub, but with Ginobili being the point when Parker gets benched, and James Anderson and Tony Parker starting. Only see T.J. Ford during blowouts, or injurys to the backcourt.

DPG21920
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
If other PG's in free agency return to form, you still have below average players. If TJ returns to form, you get a damn steal for the min. That's what it boils down to IMO especially because no matter who you sign, they won't get significant playing time unless the above happens.

Nathan89
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
TJ Ford is going to play. I see Anderson getting limited minutes but more minutes than a normal season because of the schedule.

outmap
12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
ball hog :rolleyes

ToRssFjg2Vc

Who was number 42?

Libri
12-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, it sucks but it was expected Spurs wouldn't get a good backup PG. The FA market for cheap vet PG was really bad this year. Aside of Earl Watson, there were no good options.

When pairing with Ginobili in the backcourt, a PG main 2 qualities should be to shoot 3 pointers and to defend. TJ Ford is bad has both. Unless he founds miraculously his pre-injury level back, he will suck. I expect Pop to quickly try the Neal/Ginobili backcourt option.

I hadn't thought about that. Now I'm worried.

Bruno
12-08-2011, 12:12 AM
When Gino and Parker play TP doesn't shoot 3 pointers and although he's a very good defender when engaged, that part of his game sometimes gets put aside since he carries so much of the offensive load.

If Ford was a great player like Parker, is, it wouldn't be a big deal. Being both a bad to average player and being a bad fit is a recipe for failure.

DPG21920
12-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Well, I don't think you worry about fit so much with the 5th guard/minimum player, I think you worry about overall talent/upside IMO. Gino has shown he can play with guys who aren't great 3 PT shooters, I agree on the defense but you normally don't get that from your 5th guard. TJ at least once had a level that was considered above average in a starters role and at least has some shot at making it back there and is relatively young.

kjhip1
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
he only 28...its not like his skill set is in total decline....he's a serviceable pg..cant be any worse then JV or SHANE HEAL...good pickup...he'll get 10-15 minutes per game behind TP.only the vet min to get him..good pickup!

jesterbobman
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't think anyone should expect TJ Ford to be great. I think it's based on a feeling that they need another PG(Potentially not trusting Joseph to be fully up to speed), and some level of familiarity from training over summer. I would guess TD etc got on with him OK(If they didn't, I have no doubt that the would've signed someone else) and that the familiarity would help with only a few weeks to go before the season. Getting someone who's somewhat of a personal fit with the Spurs core, and ensuring they have someone decent is valuable.

He's not a great player, and I would say there'll be a few times throughout the season where we get angry at him for not passing. However, we should be able to run the same sets with both Tony and TJ, as they can attack and play in similar fashions(though with varying levels of skill) Which might make it easier(No need to change sets when Jacque Vaughan is in)

DesignatedT
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Speedy Claxton couldn't hit the 3, Jacque Vaughn couldn't hit the 3.

Bruno
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, I don't think you worry about fit so much with the 5th guard/minimum player, I think you worry about overall talent/upside IMO. Gino has shown he can play with guys who aren't great 3 PT shooters, I agree on the defense but you normally don't get that from your 5th guard. TJ at least once had a level that was considered above average in a starters role and at least has some shot at making it back there and is relatively young.

Ford surely would be fine as the 5th guard but Spurs need a backup PG that is to say someone who will play 15mpg.

DPG21920
12-08-2011, 12:26 AM
he only 28...its not like his skill set is in total decline....he's a serviceable pg..cant be any worse then JV or SHANE HEAL...good pickup...he'll get 10-15 minutes per game behind TP.only the vet min to get him..good pickup!

The neck injury was pretty horrific and is a legit concern when it comes to a contributing factor to any physical decline.

However, I think his physical decline isn't quite as bad as it appears and he will look better in a better situation IF he commits to being a back up (which here he has no choice and I'm sure the Spurs told him that.)

The Truth #6
12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
In Pop we trust.

But I still think Neal as backup PG has some merit.

1. He's good in pick and roll.
2. He's not a pretender like RMJ and won't melt.
3. He deserves minutes and only playing SG limits that.
4. Playing some band aid like TJ takes away minutes from Neal, Anderson and possibly Leonard.
5. If we make the playoffs Neal will probably play backup PG anyway so might as well play the best players from the beginning.

DPG21920
12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Ford surely would be fine as the 5th guard but Spurs need a backup PG that is to say someone who will play 15mpg.

I think he will be fine in that role and even if he is the primary back up, he's the 5th guard on the depth chart (Parker/Gino/Neal/Anderson/TJ) and there are a few others like Gino/Neal that are capable in spots to play the role.

There are legit concerns, but like you said, out of who was available, there really isn't anyone better and that's all they can do at this point.

I just think he's a better reclamation project than anyone else available (with the exception of Pargo).

kjhip1
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
The neck injury was pretty horrific and is a legit concern when it comes to a contributing factor to any physical decline.

However, I think his physical decline isn't quite as bad as it appears and he will look better in a better situation IF he commits to being a back up (which here he has no choice and I'm sure the Spurs told him that.)

Good call....the Spurs system might actually do TJ some good..he'll still be able to push the ball in the open court..I'm sure the FO likes the fact he is shifty and can get into the lane...cant ask more from a backup.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 12:33 AM

When we have 4 games in 5 nights, and there will be a lot of those, Tony and Manu alone won't be able to man the position. I don't expect TJ to see much play time at all during the playoffs.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 12:37 AM
And I personally would take TJ over Chris Quinn... like other people and Bruno said, there wasn't a whole lot to choose from for the vet min.

InTheCrust
12-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Um, yeah, I used to watch the Raptors all the time about 4 years ago and although T.J. has his moments of brilliance... he can get to be a really bitchy ball-hog who doesn't know his place.

Although, he is a cheap and serviceable player at a position of need. Maybe Pop can whip his mind into shape.

JR3
12-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I like it overall... I'm not jumping up and down. I'm just glad the spurs did what they could do with who was available. I still see NEAL as the backup pg though. Looking forward to tomorrows news.

FkLA
12-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Yall know you don't have to agree with timvp right? He won't kick you out or anything.

This. Timvp doesnt endorse the signing and the thread goes from people being ecstatic to people considering it a horrible signing. :lol

Regarding him being a ballhog and over dribbling often, you cant compare San Antonio to Indi/Toronto. Im pretty sure players know that if you come to SA your going to play team ball. TJ knows Pop wont put up with that BS, and that his best bet for minutes is to utilize his speed and decent vision to set up players. Ten times better than Quinn, Hart, Vaughn, or Temple tbh. Solid signing especially for the vet minimum :tu

NASpurs
12-08-2011, 12:46 AM
I'm not going to scroll through 7 pages so I'll leave this here.

@DonHarris4 (http://twitter.com/#%21/DonHarris4) Don Harris
Just got off the phone w @tj_ford (http://twitter.com/tj_ford) . Confirmed to me that he will join the Spurs.

Fireball
12-08-2011, 12:49 AM
I don't know much about TJ Ford, but I remember most games the Spurs played against his team he hit important shots to keep his team in the game. I agree that for a minimum vet contract this a solid pick up ...

The Truth #6
12-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Hopefully Pop wants a team player. But he often sets up players like this to fail by wanting them to be gunners and be "instant offense" despite them being washed up. We've seen this for years.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
so we signin ex texas alu players

DesignatedT
12-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
@tj_ford can't wait to get to Spurs camp; "I understand my role now. I accept it, look forward to getting started. bit.ly/sfzdEz
7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

xtremesteven33
12-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Word of the Year for TJ: Defense

jiggy_55
12-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Quote from the E-N:

“This is a great opportunity for me to continue to play,” said Ford, who led the Longhorns to the NCAA Final Four in 2003. “I understand my role in the NBA now. I accept it and look forward to getting started on Friday. I want to help these guys pick up where they left off in the regular season and I believe I can be a positive factor for them off the bench.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/07/former-ut-star-ford-will-sign-with-spurs-back-up-parker/

GSH
12-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Ford's problem is durability, not ability. When he's healthy, he's a better backup PG than the Spurs have has in... a decade? More? Calling him a below-average player is just ignorant. He averaged something like 9.5 assists /36 in his last two seasons with Toronto. Then he went to the Pacers, and immediately dropped to about 6 ast/36. That was less about him that it was about the team. (He was still the second leading scorer on the team, behind Danny Granger.) That's only been three seasons ago.

And as for him being able to play 15 minutes per game? Last season was the worst of Ford's career. He and O'Brien didn't get along, plus the Pacers got Collison, who they love. And even with that, Ford still averaged about 19 minutes per game. That's the least he's ever played.

The real questions are how he fits here, and if he can stay healthy. I thought Phoenix was crazy for signing a broken-down Grant Hill four years ago. And he played in more games in those 4 seasons than he did his first 4 seasons in the league. If Ford can stay healthy (huge IF) he will be a great addition as a backup point. He can distribute the ball well, and his AST/TO ratio is always well above 2/1.

BTW - how many of you remember that he was voted fastest player in the NBA just a few years ago? And he's still young. The key is his health, folks. If we really get him for the vet min, and he manages to stay on the court, he will be another of the Spurs' bargain acquisitions.

slick'81
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Ford's problem is durability, not ability. When he's healthy, he's a better backup PG than the Spurs have has in... a decade? More? Calling him a below-average player is just ignorant. He averaged something like 9.5 assists /36 in his last two seasons with Toronto. Then he went to the Pacers, and immediately dropped to about 6 ast/36. That was less about him that it was about the team. (He was still the second leading scorer on the team, behind Danny Granger.) That's only been three seasons ago.

And as for him being able to play 15 minutes per game? Last season was the worst of Ford's career. He and O'Brien didn't get along, plus the Pacers got Collison, who they love. And even with that, Ford still averaged about 19 minutes per game. That's the least he's ever played.

The real questions are how he fits here, and if he can stay healthy. I thought Phoenix was crazy for signing a broken-down Grant Hill four years ago. And he played in more games in those 4 seasons than he did his first 4 seasons in the league. If Ford can stay healthy (huge IF) he will be a great addition as a backup point. He can distribute the ball well, and his AST/TO ratio is always well above 2/1.

BTW - how many of you remember that he was voted fastest player in the NBA just a few years ago? And he's still young. The key is his health, folks. If we really get him for the vet min, and he manages to stay on the court, he will be another of the Spurs' bargain acquisitions.

i think he still has game and for a backup that can dish and has exp it is the best the spurs could do

GSH
12-08-2011, 01:59 AM
i think he still has game and for a backup that can dish and has exp it is the best the spurs could do

He's got enough game to help the Spurs as a backup point. Honestly - I don't think he can stay healthy. But I was wrong about Grant Hill, so I can hope.

johnnyblues
12-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
@tj_ford can't wait to get to Spurs camp; "I understand my role now. I accept it, look forward to getting started. bit.ly/sfzdEz

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/tackielarla/1239772758989.jpg

timtonymanu
12-08-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm still hoping that the Spurs have a bigman in mind that they plan to get.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe

:pop: "Good, the mop is over there"

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Some people talking here made it sound like hes a chucker.

A simple glance shows that he regressed mightily in Indiana. There is a potential for upside. Hes been gimp and bad the last two years.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Do not like. Manu will end up running the point with the 2nd unit in important games anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but still, there were much better options for the vet min IMO.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Do not like. Manu will end up running the point with the 2nd unit in important games anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but still, there were much better options for the vet min IMO.

Like who? Earl Watson and?

objective
12-08-2011, 02:55 AM
I don't dispute that Ford used to be a productive player. He used to be one of the fastest guys who could get his own shot and distribute. But then he broke physically.

Reaching back to his stats 3 and 4+ years ago isn't that good a pro-Ford argument.

His team last year did a lot better after his minutes were cut from 19 to 0 right after O'Brien was fired. He wasn't the only difference under Vogel, but I don't imagine it to be a coincidence that with Ford at 19 minutes a game the Pacers were a bad team, and with Ford at 0 minutes a game they became a better team that crawled into the playoffs.

I'm not protesting against Ford; he's making the minimum. No big deal financially.

All I'm saying is that I won't be surprised when he doesn't play like this amazing back-up.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 02:58 AM
^ It can not work. For the vet min though, and seeing what's out there, no big deal IMO

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't dispute that Ford used to be a productive player. He used to be one of the fastest guys who could get his own shot and distribute. But then he broke physically.

Reaching back to his stats 3 and 4+ years ago isn't that good a pro-Ford argument.

His team last year did a lot better after his minutes were cut from 19 to 0 right after O'Brien was fired. He wasn't the only difference under Vogel, but I don't imagine it to be a coincidence that with Ford at 19 minutes a game the Pacers were a bad team, and with Ford at 0 minutes a game they became a better team that crawled into the playoffs.

I'm not protesting against Ford; he's making the minimum. No big deal financially.

All I'm saying is that I won't be surprised when he doesn't play like this amazing back-up.

I only give the notion credence because hes 28 and not a few years older. The Pacers were a bad team. I get that too. I will not just write him off before I have even see his approach here in San Antonio.

And its just for the minimum.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Are you guys projecting to be the primary backup?

MaNu4Tres
12-08-2011, 03:11 AM

Not me. Unless he completely out performs Anderson or Leonard from a production/efficiency stand-point.

I see Neal/Manu running the back up PG for 10-15 MPG to open up time for Anderson at the 2 spot, which would then open up time for Leonard at the 3 spot.

The_Worlds_finest
12-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Pretty much a done deal TJ FORD via twitter

tj_ford TJ Ford
SA SA SA SA

guillermo78228
12-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Don Harris from woai tweeted:

ChumpDumper
12-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks, Scoop.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2011, 03:48 AM

I'm not projecting anything. With Jefferson and Hill gone theres going to be a a ton of flux in lineups. i just see him as an option and want to see how he plays now that hes here and then reevaluate. i am uneasy about him or Neal in the role or Manu having to take on more roles in a shortened season.

The over/under has to be about 10 mins I am thinking.

ElNono
12-08-2011, 03:52 AM

During the regular season, I think so.

Robz4000
12-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Honestly, I think this will work out. Ford will provide a decent backup (if he doesn't ball hog). This may also be the jumpstart his career needs. Since he left Texas he's been crap; maybe being near his old stomping grounds will give him something to play for.

mathbzh
12-08-2011, 04:26 AM
His he really a ball hogger? I must admit I did not really pay attention to his career. But career stat of 11 pts 6 assists in 30 mpg does not exactly scream "ball hog".

blkroadrunners
12-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I am baffled at the reaction to TJ Ford. So people are saying a minimum level player and backup pg/5th guard on the depth chart will have maybe a few good moments, but more often than not will make you pull your hair out?! What a shocker.

There is nothing in the FA PG pool that the Spurs could have done any better with. They aren't missing out on anything by signing TJ. This is a position that unless the guy exceeds expectations, won't be playing much. From a talent perspective, he's a pretty clear upgrade over most of the back up's the Spurs have had. He, at least in theory, compared to who is avaiable, has some upside for this type of role. It's more likely he is declining and you get nothing from him, but isn't that the case with all the FA PG's available and most every minimum player in this type of situation?

If he's a problem, cut his ass and bring one of the other scrubs that currently is/will be available. There are always trades that can happen.

Even PG's who people would gush over because you've seen them have some great games (Goran Dragic) puts up a ton of stinkers. You've seen TJ have some explosive games before and that's good enough for me. Let's see if this new defined role on a playoff team and stable environment does him some good. If not, it's really no big deal and he's not going to derail anything or goals.

I concur :tu

Now let's get our PF/C.

mattyc
12-08-2011, 05:01 AM
I quite like it, especially for the vet min. Probably better than I expected actually.

therealtruth
12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
He can possibly add some stability to the pg spot like Speedy Claxton in '03 or Jacque Vaugn. Just about any pg is a better passer than Parker.

kobyz
12-08-2011, 05:52 AM
the sense in this signing is merely because of the shorter-exhausting season, normally getting TJ ford would not have been beneficial and it will prefered to get someone else, as he doesn't too effective function as backup PG and not fit our needs of that role, but with the special condition of the season he has some usefulness for us, he will give us option and will provide luxury of another true PG with expriense and ability to run a team, with that schedule Parker will have to rest quite number of nights and that way we have someone who could start, play 30 minutes and do a solid job.

kobyz
12-08-2011, 05:52 AM
the sense in this signing is merely because of the shorter-exhausting season, normally getting TJ ford would not have been beneficial and it will prefered to get someone else, as he doesn't too effective function as backup PG and not fit our needs of that role, but with the special condition of the season he has some usefulness for us, he will give us option and will provide luxury of another true PG with expriense and ability to run a team, with that schedule Parker will have to rest quite number of nights and that way we have someone who could start, play 30 minutes and do a solid job.

Russo21
12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Yeah that would be a nice low key signing for our backup PG spot. He was pretty quick until his body broke down a tad. Best year points wise 15ppg, best year assists 7.9apg, steals 1.4. He'd be a very nice addition. Still only 28 years old. Think he'd be a great backup to Tony. For what it's worth TJ and Tony are pretty good mates so he would fit in seamlessly.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2011, 06:54 AM
i dunno why some of you clowns are posting up his stats from a couple of seasons as a starter, and expect him to bring those type of stats of the bench

his role now is to be a bench player and provide energy of the bench, not to be a ball hog looking after h is stats

benefactor
12-08-2011, 07:41 AM
:lol I love this place. Welcome back, ST.

The Spurs needed cheap insurance at PG. That's all that happened here. You'd think by the reaction of some he will be playing 30mpg.

Russo21
12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
TDMVPDPOY i didn't post that expecting him to bring those stats to the spurs like you said, that's crazy and i dunno where you pulled that from. I was simply stating that he's got game and in my post said he'd be a great backup to Tony. Nobody here expects him to play those minutes or get those sorta stats. Just good insurance and backup for Tony. That is all.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
TDMVPDPOY i didn't post that expecting him to bring those stats to the spurs like you said, that's crazy and i dunno where you pulled that from. I was simply stating that he's got game and in my post said he'd be a great backup to Tony. Nobody here expects him to play those minutes or get those sorta stats. Just good insurance and backup for Tony. That is all.

no but judging from everyones post they wanted someone better, what we got here from tjford is a fkn steal at that price for what he brings to the table, even though he has a history of injuries, but who out there at the pg position thats available that would come here cheap?

Russo21
12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Ford to back up Parker

T.J. Ford | Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind)

He'll sign a one-year minimum deal with the Spurs.
Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor http://a.espncdn.com/icons/in.gif (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors#TOP)

Looks like it's pretty much all but official. Let the signings begin.

Russo21
12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Agreed on the fkn steal part lol. Good start to the silly season :-) Now let's go fill the other holes in the lineup

ChuckD
12-08-2011, 08:05 AM
He can possibly add some stability to the pg spot like Speedy Claxton in '03 or Jacque Vaugn. Just about any pg is a better passer than Parker.

You're going to appreciate Parker LOT more after you get a look at TJ....

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
You're going to appreciate Parker LOT more after you get a look at TJ....

after the shenanigans of last season....

The_Worlds_finest
12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
1 year minimum? FUCKING STEAL!!!!

elemento
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
People complaining about a guy that we got for the min :lmao

timmike2
12-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Very nice spurs got a good backup point guard. Now all they need is a center. :D

lefty
12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1656355434/image_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/tj_ford) @tj_ford (http://twitter.com/#%21/tj_ford) TJ Ford

SA SA SA SA

11 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/tj_ford/status/144614325724782592) via Twitter for iPhone (http://twitter.com/#%21/download/iphone) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Retweeted by CStephenSimpson (http://twitter.com/#%21/CStephenSimpson) and 100+ others

hater
12-08-2011, 09:39 AM

we won 2 with DRob and we are not trotting him out as starting our Center :lol

DeadlyDynasty
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
we won 2 with DRob and we are not trotting him out as starting our Center :lol

Unsurprisingly, you miss the point completely.

xellos88330
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I can't fault the Spurs going for this guy. If he channels 3 years ago TJ, this is an absolute steal if it is for the vet min. If not, at least they have a back up with experience.

Sense
12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow, not used to twitter.. some of the people on it are really stupid :lol

"TJ Ford to the Spurs mean Tony Parker will be gone soon"
"TJ Ford to Spurs is a good signing... he might compete with Tony for his spot"

Spurfan is clueless.

Josepatches_
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM

elec99
12-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Not alot is expected of him, hes not gonna get a lot of minutes. Dont turn the ball over, and probably dont even shoot the ball. Make a play which involves passing the ball. Thats pretty much it.

velik_m
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Cant_Be_Faded
12-08-2011, 11:42 AM

PWNT. This guy knows his stuff.

romain.star
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
The back up PG position adresses a bit less than 0.01% of the Spurs issues.

Meanwhile, Duncan is a 47 years old PF with no quality big beside...

The_Worlds_finest
12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I can't fault the Spurs going for this guy. If he channels 3 years ago TJ, this is an absolute steal if it is for the vet min. If not, at least they have a back up with experience.

well played my friend well played

Cane
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The back up PG position adresses a bit less than 0.01% of the Spurs issues.

After Hill got traded and with the way Parker disappointed in the playoffs, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Meanwhile, Duncan is a 47 years old PF with no quality big beside...

Hopefully the stuff about the Spurs going after a big is true :toast

romain.star
12-08-2011, 12:37 PM
After Hill got traded and with the way Parker disappointed in the playoffs, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Hopefully the stuff about the Spurs going after a big is true :toast

Parker was horrible for 2 games and a half in the last Playoffs. Plus, I watched Parker at the Euro... He is just fine.

Signing a quality PG back up is luxury for teams like SA which has 0 athleltic big in the paint, 0 (proven) slasher on the wing and 0 reliable 3point shooter.

ginobilized
12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
This is a solid and unspectacular signing. Typical Spurs. TJ will help if TP is injured. He will make opposing point guards pay attention on defense and help push the pace on the back to backs and 3 games in 3 days. Definitely a Jacques Vaughn, Speedy Claxton type potential. :tu

DeadlyDynasty
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Parker was horrible for 2 games and a half in the last Playoffs. Plus, I watched Parker at the Euro... He is just fine.

Signing a quality PG back up is luxury for teams like SA which has 0 athleltic big in the paint, 0 (proven) slasher on the wing and 0 reliable 3point shooter.

http://cristianos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/112708clavo1.jpg

Call me when they shore up their piss-poor frontcourt, then I'll know their serious.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Call me when they shore up their piss-poor frontcourt, then I'll know their serious.lakerfan wants to stay informed about the Spurs.

romain.star
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
http://cristianos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/112708clavo1.jpg

Call me when they shore up their piss-poor frontcourt, then I'll know their serious.

JJ Barea > A Bynum

DAF86
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Great, another perimeter player that can't shoot for shit.

kjhip1
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Lakerfan forgets about how horrible Derek fisher and Steve Blake were last year...

timvp
12-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Yeah, the Pacers started 17-27 with Ford in the rotation. They then dropped him out of the rotation and went 20-16 to make the playoffs. Getting past on the depth charts by a one-legged AJ Price is an ominous sign for your career.

It's funny seeing Longhorn Fan pulling out stats from before Ford's neck almost snapped when Al Horford smashed him. I really wish this was a good signing but not only is Ford's level of play drastically declining, he's a bad fit. The last thing you want next to Manu is a guy who can't shoot, a guy who dribbles too much and a guy who can't defend his own shadow.

The only positive of this move will be seeing the upcoming clash between CoM and Longhorn Fan :lmao

DeadlyDynasty
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
JJ Barea > A Bynum

Non-issue, he'll be in Orlando soon.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
If he's the primary backup, I don't like it. If he's vet insurance in case a Gary Neal experiment doesn't work out, that's better. Easily reversed either way, I suppose.

lefty
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the Pacers started 17-27 with Ford in the rotation. They then dropped him out of the rotation and went 20-16 to make the playoffs..

It has more to do with Vogel taking over as a head coach

timvp
12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
It has more to do with Vogel taking over as a head coach

The previous year, the Pacers were 19-16 in games TJ Ford didn't play and 13-34 in games he did play. What was the excuse that year?

There are bad players and there are disruptively bad players. Nowadays everything suggests TJ falls into the latter category, which makes him worth less than the minimum. Unless you're the Spurs and are trying to get more Austin season ticket holders, I guess.

romain.star
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Non-issue, he'll be in Orlando soon.

Last time I checked, he is a Laker.

Fact > FA rumors

lefty
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
The previous year, the Pacers were 19-16 in games TJ Ford didn't play and 13-34 in games he did play. What was the excuse that year?

There are bad players and there are disruptively bad players. Nowadays everything suggests TJ falls into the latter category, which makes him worth less than the minimum. Unless you're the Spurs and are trying to get more Austin season ticket holders, I guess.
TJ's presence in the rotation was a factor, I don't totally disagree with you, but Vogel totally revamped the offense; with O'Brien, it was more of a perimeter O, but with Vogel they attacked the rim.
He also moved Hansbrough and George into the starting lineup and helped restore Hibbert's confidence.

Bruno
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM

People not complaining about Spurs not having a decent backup PG. :lmao

yavozerb
12-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Have no problem with TJ as a back up pg..Guy can run the offense, score, and create for others. Lack of size has always hurt him on the defensive end, but spurs could have done alot worse in my opinion..

timvp
12-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Going back to when TJ was still pretty decent, his teams still did better without him. With the Raptors in '08, the Raptors were 19-12 in games TJ missed. In the games TJ played, the Raptors were 22-29.

So in those three seasons, his teams are 58-44 when he doesn't play and 52-90 when he plays. Damn, he might be worse than I thought.

lefty
12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Going back to when TJ was still pretty decent, his teams still did better without him. With the Raptors in '08, the Raptors were 19-12 in games TJ missed. In the games TJ played, the Raptors were 22-29.

So in those three seasons, his teams are 58-44 when he doesn't play and 52-90 when he plays. Damn, he might be worse than I thought.
It's easy to look at the records with our without a player in the lineup, and overlook other factors

Is ti possible that some Raptors players were injured when TJ was in the lineup?
Or maybe the Raps beat shorthanded teams?

yavozerb
12-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Tj's number were not too bad that season:
23 mpg, 46% fg, 12 ppg, 6 ast, 2 TO..

Not great, but an average NBA pg in my opinion..

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah, the Pacers started 17-27 with Ford in the rotation. They then dropped him out of the rotation and went 20-16 to make the playoffs. Getting past on the depth charts by a one-legged AJ Price is an ominous sign for your career.

It's funny seeing Longhorn Fan pulling out stats from before Ford's neck almost snapped when Al Horford smashed him. I really wish this was a good signing but not only is Ford's level of play drastically declining, he's a bad fit. The last thing you want next to Manu is a guy who can't shoot, a guy who dribbles too much and a guy who can't defend his own shadow.

The only positive of this move will be seeing the upcoming clash between CoM and Longhorn Fan :lmao

He played well in 2008, his first year in Indiana and I am not an NCAA athletics fan.

Its just been the last two years that hes been in the toilet. You've more or less linked your reputation to this so we get the joy of you bashing him at least.

yavozerb
12-08-2011, 02:39 PM
It's easy to look at the records with our without a player in the lineup, and overlook other factors

Is ti possible that some Raptors players were injured when TJ was in the lineup?
Or maybe the Raps beat shorthanded teams?

good point..Bosh missed 15 games that season also.

timvp
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Or maybe the Raps beat shorthanded teams?How large of a sample size do you want before the finger gets pointed at TJ Ford? Three seasons is a pretty good sampling.

Tj's number were not too bad that season:
23 mpg, 46% fg, 12 ppg, 6 ast, 2 TO..

Not great, but an average NBA pg in my opinion..Production hasn't really been his problem. He dominates the ball so much that he can't help but put up stats. The issues are more with a physical decline and a lack of realization of what he can no longer do.

Again, maybe TJ will realize his limitations and will relax now that he's paid more along the lines of his ability. Maybe he will rededicate himself now that he's away from that toxic situation in Indiana. It's possible, although unlikely. And worse, if it doesn't happen, he could hurt the team -- something you can't usually say about a player who signs for the minimum.

At the very best, TJ could be a less athletic Claxton. The rest of the possible outcomes are more along the lines of a worse version of Nick Van Exel without the three-point range.