PDA

View Full Version : Free Kawhi Leonard!

objective
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, he'll make mistakes. Yes, he'll be raw.

BUT FREE KAWHI!

The Spurs don't need the next injured vet, they need the next steal. They don't need their own of the Grizzlies' Battier, they need their own of the Grizzlies' Sam Young!

Spend that MLE on another big! Or a back up point who doesn't have a suspect neck.

Leave the SF position to a player without a dancing kneecap or a shredded acl.

Plenty of players who can fulfill the SF need.

dallasmaverickslose
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
My concern is that we only have 1 true SF, and that's Kawhi. Yes, Manu and Anderson have played minutes at SF, but I think we'd be more comfortable having a veteran SF with Kawhi. Butler is good, but I feel Battier would fit better.

Em-City
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Big man or tank

portnoy1
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Big man or tankPretty much ths Spurs problem Since fab left.

timvp
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I agree that Kawhi Leonard needs to play this year but I don't get the Sam Young comparison. Young sucked against the Thunder and only did anything against the Spurs because RJ fell for the same pump fake about 30 times in that series. Plus Young is already 26.

My dream season for Leonard would be like Cliff Robinson's rookie season. Even though Robinson was a second round pick who was effective mostly just due to his athleticism and activity, he carved out a role of 20 MPG and played in all 82 games for a Blazers team that made the Finals.

objective
12-07-2011, 09:54 PM
the gist of my Sam Young point goes back to this post. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5201041&postcount=18)

It's about how gambling on a young player is not a bad thing. Sam Young was an older, limited, 2nd round minimum player . . . who was still better than RJ.

My dream season for Leonard would be like Horry's rookie season. Not comparing his game to Horry, only saying that a rookie can help a team win a title as a starter, even after almost getting traded.

disciple
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Isn't it a little premature to say "Free" Leonard when he has not even played one game and NOT played. How can someone be freed if their not bound.

timvp
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
the gist of my Sam Young point goes back to this post. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5201041&postcount=18)

It's about how gambling on a young player is not a bad thing.

Agreed. Although it's not always a good thing, either. The Mavs don't win the championship if Roddy Buckets was forced into the rotation. And the Celtics don't win their recent championship if they went with Big Baby over PJ Brown. Etc, etc.

But yeah, in this scenario due to how much the Spurs already have invested in him and his skillset, the Spurs can't afford to punt his rookie year.

My dream season for Leonard would be like Horry's rookie season. Not comparing his game to Horry, only saying that a rookie can help a team win a title as a starter, even after almost getting traded.

Rockets didn't win a title in Horry's rookie season and the near trade was after their first championship ... but I know what you mean. I thought of Horry too but he played like 30 MPG and started every game. Someone would have to get Pop drunk and keep him drunk for that to happen.

timvp
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Isn't it a little premature to say "Free" Leonard when he has not even played one game and NOT played. How can someone be freed if their not bound.

Unfortunately, the chances of this thread title becoming relevant at some point this season is about 99.5%.

slick'81
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
well pop should have a major hardon for kawhi a long 3/4 that can board and defend(looks like bowen on steroids) if pop doesnt play him then he just has his head to far up bonners ass

JsnSA
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, due to the compressed schedule I think there is a very good chance that we will have to open up the rotation more than Pop prefers just to keep the vets rested. That should leave an opportunity for Leonard to gain a decent amount of playing time as long as he continues to improve.

Brazil
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, he'll make mistakes. Yes, he'll be raw.

BUT FREE KAWHI!

The Spurs don't need the next injured vet, they need the next steal. They don't need their own of the Grizzlies' Battier, they need their own of the Grizzlies' Sam Young!

Spend that MLE on another big! Or a back up point who doesn't have a suspect neck.

Leave the SF position to a player without a dancing kneecap or a shredded acl.

Plenty of players who can fulfill the SF need.

:tu

DMC
12-08-2011, 12:49 AM
I agree that Kawhi Leonard needs to play this year but I don't get the Sam Young comparison. Young sucked against the Thunder and only did anything against the Spurs because RJ fell for the same pump fake about 30 times in that series. Plus Young is already 26.

My dream season for Leonard would be like Cliff Robinson's rookie season. Even though Robinson was a second round pick who was effective mostly just due to his athleticism and activity, he carved out a role of 20 MPG and played in all 82 games for a Blazers team that made the Finals.
Since the Grizz leveled the Spurs in the 1st round, people have been acting like every player on their roster is an all star.

The Spurs don't need to be the Grzz who didn't make it out of the 2nd round.

venitian navigator
12-08-2011, 02:55 AM
The way the spurs are behaving, listening to the rumors (amnestyng RJ and searching for a mid level sf) makes me think they see Leonard like the possible starting power forward...on an up tempo team!
After all, they traded a proven veteran and a possible starter with some years of experience (so was Hill) for his rights...and they're signing a back up point guard who's main quality is speedness.

Looks like we're gonna see another year of a team more oriented for the record in the regular season than in the play offs...just a little more young and "defense oriented" (the rumors about Butler fit this description).

benefactor
12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately, the chances of this thread title becoming relevant at some point this season is about 99.5%.
:tu

Might as well just sticky it at the top of the forum because it will be bumped about a hundred times anyway.

Seventyniner
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
If you really want Kawhi "freed", you need to hope that all of the FA SFs sign elsewhere. If Kawhi is the only SF on the roster, it could force Pop's hand.

SpursDynasty85
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
If you can sign Caron Butler for the mid-level and then package Mcdyess, Blair, Bonner for Chris Kama. That makes San Antonio right in the mix for the West.

TimmehC
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
If you can sign Caron Butler for the mid-level and then package Mcdyess, Blair, Bonner for Chris Kama. That makes San Antonio right in the mix for the West.

That also leaves the Spurs with a total of 3 bigs on the roster, which means a whole lot of small ball.

SpursDynasty85
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Agree. You obviously want to sign a competent 4th big man and Kawhi Leonard is the prototypical small ball 4 whom we should all expect to get these minutes. Amnestying RJ is the right move and I hope it goes through because it gives the Spurs options to at least make a threat this year. W/O it, their really is no point.

lefty
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM

I like the Uncle Cliffy comparison :tu

Solid D
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Ha! Cliff Robinson. I wouldn't have thought of that comparison but as I think about the notion, it's a decent one. Very different players, but I can see what you're getting at.

Leonard is live ammo. Pop will just need to figure out how to use him.

objective
12-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Leonard in his first pro game ever >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RJ

Free Kawhi

GSH
12-18-2011, 01:30 AM
I said this in the game thread, but I think I would rather watch the team suffer a little with a rookie (KL) at the SF, than to suffer through another full season of Jefferson. At least I believe that Leonard would improve, with a lot of minutes. Jefferson has the occasional good game, but he hasn't really improved since he got here.

Leonard's lack of experience might cost a few games, but I'm serious that I would rather lose watching him play.

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2011, 02:09 AM
first game

offense = he was fkn passive, maybe trying to stay out of trouble gettin an injury, hanging around with the perimeter to much when it looked like he couldve taken the scrub defender on him

defense = good rotations, but he gives his man too much space to play around with the ball, then beating him with his long wingspan...

Dingle Barry
12-18-2011, 03:56 AM
We need Willie Anderson sans leg rods

Fireball
12-18-2011, 04:44 AM
defense = good rotations, but he gives his man too much space to play around with the ball, then beating him with his long wingspan...

If he beats the opponent with his wingspan, where is the problem? Of course more pressure on the ball would be good ...

Ice009
12-18-2011, 05:16 AM
If he beats the opponent with his wingspan, where is the problem? Of course more pressure on the ball would be good ...

That's what George Hill used to do. It's not good defense. Hill constantly got lit up by elite players playing D like that. You gotta move your feet as well, not just rely on recovering with your wingspan.

Harry Callahan
12-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Leonard looked hesitant on offense, but his ability to rebound from the SF spot really showed up. If the ball was in his general area, he snatched it. Its too bad that the guys like Leonard won't get a lot of time to get ready for the season.

jermaine
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
The boy can't shoot to save his life, but I wanna see play defense on Wade, Melo, Terry,etc. He looks too damn long. Lmmfao. The stuff he can do looks like he can do it with ez. I just think want would he be like playing defense knowing he has two real big men behind him if he get beat off the dribble. But he also looks like the kinda guy that if you get by him, beware of the block from behind. He was the final reason that made me get my regularly every yr league pass. I hope Pop don't fuck his head up with his I don't like rookies BS.

Mhak
12-19-2011, 02:25 AM
His defense have a great upside for this kid but his offense is need a lot of improving. What i saw last night was he got no moves to burn his guy. Maybe his ball handling skills need improvement. Still need a lot of work to be done.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-19-2011, 02:32 AM
I must admit, I was a little surprised the Spurs went with Leonard over Chris Singleton in the draft. Chris is one inch taller (althought the wingspan isn't as good), but can SHOOT a whole lot better; especially the 3.

Their defense is comparable.

benefactor
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Looking good as can be expected so far. RJ will flame out eventually, so hopefully he can sustain it.

Obstructed_View
12-26-2011, 10:41 PM
So I'm guessing that Leonard looks more like an NBA player than he did in the preseason games?

benefactor
12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
So I'm guessing that Leonard looks more like an NBA player than he did in the preseason games?
Affirmative.

urunobili
12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
He'll have lots of tape to learn from after first game, but I am pleased with his debut!