View Full Version : Pujols signs with Angels

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
yup

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
@TBrownYahoo
Tim Brown
Source: Pujols will sign with Angels for 10 years for between $250 and $260 million. Full no-trade. Pujols decided Thursday morning.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Damn.

DeadlyDynasty
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Damn...good for LAA. He's better suited for the AL now that he's getting older anyways. They can move him to DH in a few years. I hope this means the Marlins get CJ Wilson now :lol

lefty
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
What a fag

JamStone
12-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Ken Rosenthal tweeting deal is 10 years in the $250-260 range, with a full no trade clause, something the Marlins wouldn't do. I'm reading reports that the Angels will still go after CJ Wilson in addition to Pujols.

JamStone
12-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Angels already have 2 first basemen though.

So what happens to Trumbo and Kendrys Morales, I wonder.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
we gonna trade them for a 3B!

whoooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!

CJ WILSON IS NEXT!

AFBlue
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Angels already have 2 first basemen though.

So what happens to Trumbo and Kendrys Morales, I wonder.

One of them can DH and the other will be traded. I would guess Trumbo gets a bigger haul, but Morales is really good when healthy.

I'll add, as a Rays follower I'd hope they make a call on either and dangle their insane depth of pitching.

JamStone
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Bobby Abreu's option vested so the Angels have him for one more year unless they just eat his contract. But one thing the Angels offense needs is balance with left handed bats. Abreu and Morales at least provide that. Otherwise, it would be pretty much Erick Aybar and he's not a power bat.

Before the Albert signing, there were rumblings that either Trumbo or Morales would have to go to 3B to get both bats in the line-up. But now, I think a trade has to be made. And I think Trumbo would have to be the one to go, especially because he would bring back the most and now with the Angels payroll where it's at, they could use a number of cheaper young players to round out areas of need.

DeadlyDynasty
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
we gonna trade them for a 3B!

whoooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!

CJ WILSON IS NEXT!

Congrats, fucker

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Congrats, fucker

;) :toast

Spursfan092120
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
:wow

:(

:depressed

IronMexican
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Man, that's gay.

weebo
12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Puljos ain't worth that kinda coin at this point in his career.

Axe Murderer
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
you could hear a SEASON drop in Arlington i saaaaiiiiidddd

JamStone
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Puljos ain't worth that kinda coin at this point in his career.

Might be worth it the first 3-4 years, especially if you take into account tickets and merchandise sales. Then maybe he can be close to worth it another 2-3 years after that, if the Angels can continue to add good players around him and that pitching staff.

But the last 4-5 years of the contract could be horrific for the Angels. I think they set a window up where they better win a World Series or two in the first 5 years of Albert's contract. Otherwise, it will look really bad in the second half of that contract.

weebo
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Might be worth it the first 3-4 years, especially if you take into account tickets and merchandise sales. Then maybe he can be close to worth it another 2-3 years after that, if the Angels can continue to add good players around him and that pitching staff.

But the last 4-5 years of the contract could be horrific for the Angels. I think they set a window up where they better win a World Series or two in the first 5 years of Albert's contract. Otherwise, it will look really bad in the second half of that contract.

That's what I meant. Initially he'll be worth every red cent but around year four or five that contract will hand shackle the Halo's for a few years.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
That's what I meant. Initially he'll be worth every red cent but around year four or five that contract will hand shackle the Halo's for a few years.

put him in DH, lose Vernon Wells contract and count the money that Television, Merchandise, Championships and Endorsements that fans and businesses spent due to his signing.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Also,...in his later years, he'll probably be trying to break records...sold out stadiums across the country.

JamStone
12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
put him in DH, lose Vernon Wells contract and count the money that Television, Merchandise, Championships and Endorsements that fans and businesses spent due to his signing.

But the Angels will still be paying him $25 million a year in those final years (unless they frontloaded the fuck out of the contract). And if he's a DH by then and foreseeing him dropping off at least a little bit, that's still crazy money for a DH who won't do anything defensively and has no speed on the bases to help in other areas.

Think about it like this, David Ortiz went for 47 HR, 148 RBI and 54 HR, 137 RBI in back-to-back seasons while he was still in the prime of his career (right around 30 years old), and he only got a 4 year deal at $13 million a year. Doubt Albert will be putting up those kind of numbers by then and as a DH, his value drops more. The Angels aren't the Yankees or Red Sox where at some point they just absorb a contract like this. They need to make this contract be worth it.

Do make a good point about his later years probably making bids at historic HR marks. And that will be good for ticket sales and such. But the Angels better do work the first few seasons of his contract to really make it worth it. I'm thinking at least 2 World Series wins, not just appearances.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
But the Angels will still be paying him $25 million a year in those final years (unless they frontloaded the fuck out of the contract). And if he's a DH by then and foreseeing him dropping off at least a little bit, that's still crazy money for a DH who won't do anything defensively and has no speed on the bases to help in other areas.

Think about it like this, David Ortiz went for 47 HR, 148 RBI and 54 HR, 137 RBI in back-to-back seasons while he was still in the prime of his career (right around 30 years old), and he only got a 4 year deal at $13 million a year. Doubt Albert will be putting up those kind of numbers by then and as a DH, his value drops more. The Angels aren't the Yankees or Red Sox where at some point they just absorb a contract like this. They need to make this contract be worth it.

Do make a good point about his later years probably making bids at historic HR marks. And that will be good for ticket sales and such. But the Angels better do work the first few seasons of his contract to really make it worth it. I'm thinking at least 2 World Series wins, not just appearances.

Thats fine...if we need to have bad 3-4 last years for an AWESOME first 7 years, then we gotta do it. How else can we sign a top 3 All time player without signing 10 years?

With one of the worst offenses last year, this is exactly what the Angels should have done.

JamStone
12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I know why the Angels did it. And I'm not disagreeing with it. They had to overpay just to get him there. Totally understand that. I'm just saying the second half of his contract has the potential to suck really, really bad for the Angels.

And thinking you'll get 7 awesome years is pretty ambition. I'm thinking if he comes anywhere close to being worth his salary the first 5 is probably more realistic.

A-Rod is only through 4 years of his 10 year contract. Think about that.

The Gemini Method
12-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Pretty gutsy move by the Angels--don't know if this is a remnant move after the failures of past (Texeira, Crawford, and Beltre...) or what, but it does make a profitable franchise that more enticing to locals here in the SoCal area. I mean, with the Dodgers about 5 months from being swooped up by a a viable ownership (committee?), they had to stay relevant and this does do that for the initial first few years. The Angels went Yankees and that is nutty.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I know why the Angels did it. And I'm not disagreeing with it. They had to overpay just to get him there. Totally understand that. I'm just saying the second half of his contract has the potential to suck really, really bad for the Angels.

And thinking you'll get 7 awesome years is pretty ambition. I'm thinking if he comes anywhere close to being worth his salary the first 5 is probably more realistic.

A-Rod is only through 4 years of his 10 year contract. Think about that.

thank goodness there is no salary cap right? lol

As long as he is better then Vernon Wells when he is 42, ill be happy. LOL!

The Gemini Method
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
thank goodness there is no salary cap right? lol

As long as he is better then Vernon Wells when he is 42, ill be happy. LOL!

He's a better Angels hitter than Wells is right now and he hasn't even played an inning yet! LOL

You going to opening day, Machine? I sure am...

TheMACHINE
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
He's a better Angels hitter than Wells is right now and he hasn't even played an inning yet! LOL

You going to opening day, Machine? I sure am...

Ill try...when is individual tickets avaialble?

baseline bum
10-03-2012, 11:17 PM
So good signing?

Clipper Nation
10-03-2012, 11:32 PM
:lol Angels
:lol TEN YEARS and $240 million and then an additional ten-year "personal services agreement" after that, all for a TOSB
:lol No playoffs
:lol A's = AL West Champs with total payroll that's less than Pujols' contract alone

Emily Rose
08-10-2013, 03:31 PM
:lmao

baseline bum
08-11-2013, 11:14 AM

CROFL already looking horrific in the first fifth of that contract. :rollin

:lol Angels
:lol Orange County
:lol not LA

TheMACHINE
08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
"one more strike" :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78H3Jqy74Eo

Halberto
08-16-2013, 03:49 PM
lol Angels

Heath Ledger
08-20-2013, 12:54 AM
The Angels wish they had Arod right about now.

Spurminator
08-20-2013, 10:36 AM
He's just seeing the same kind of skill erosion that other 40-year-old veterans typically see at that age.

Heath Ledger
08-22-2013, 12:46 AM
you mean like Barry Bonds skill erosion? His skill erosion is because he is off the juice now that he got that big fat ass contract and his body is breaking down.

irishock
08-27-2013, 06:53 PM
^ truth bombs

T Park
10-23-2013, 02:46 AM
"one more strike" :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78H3Jqy74Eo

lol first time ive seen this. "Oh my god, david fucking freese" lol

Arnold Toht
10-23-2013, 05:10 PM
It is what it is.