PDA

View Full Version : From Bill Simmons...ESPN article today:

Sportcamper
12-09-2011, 02:44 PM
From Bill Simmons
(Celtics fan)' ESPN article today:

The best point guard of his generation was switching teams, in his prime, to the Los Angeles Lakers … and only after the Celtics and Knicks failed to get him. Read that sentence again. It's what Dan Gilbert and the other Overpayers Anonymous owners will never understand. In professional basketball, history trumps everything else. It's not just about playing in Los Angeles. It's about playing for the Lakers. It's about following the footsteps of Magic, Kareem, Wilt, West, Baylor and Shaq. It's about Showtime, Nicholson, the yellow jerseys, the Laker Girls, even that awful Randy Newman song. It's about that buzz before a big Laker home game, when the place is packed with celebs and eye candy, when you're the best guy on the team, when you might as well be the king of the world. When these idiots complain about a "big market/small market" disparity, it's almost like they never followed the league before they bought their teams. Of course there's a disparity! What kid doesn't grow up wanting to play for the Celtics, Lakers or Knicks?

ChumpDumper
12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
And?

ChumpDumper
12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Also, he's wrong. Money trumps everything else.

Cry Havoc
12-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Correct as usual. If it were just about playing in LA/NYC/Boston, why don't those teams have 6-8 all-stars a piece?

Obstructed_View
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
The NBA is welcome to contract to a three team league. Otherwise, I don't think there's any justification for using other franchises as their farm system and paying fans as their revenue stream.

Cry Havoc
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/2011/03/9378889-large.jpg

:lol

Mugen
12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
bill simmons works for ESPN. the only people more butthurt than Laker fans from what Stern did is ESPN.

They were already rock hard for a LA/MIA finals with CP3/KB/D12 against the Miami big 3.

it was a huge blow to the media and big market franchises...for now.

weebo
12-09-2011, 03:43 PM
CP3 is the Hornets most viable asset. Sending him to any other team would have lowered the value of that franchise even further. Remember, the NBA is a players league. People don't pay to watch teams play (by people I mean the casual fan) the pay to watch stars play. Without CP3 ticket sales go to the shitter, fans lose interest, and it scare off any potential buyers for that team. The only ones calling this a travesty are laker fans which includes most of the media btw.

Personally, I would have liked that deal to have gone through. It would have put a huge dent in the Lakers greatest advantage on almost every team-their formidable front court.

Cry Havoc
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
CP3 is the Hornets most viable asset. Sending him to any other team would have lowered the value of that franchise even further. Remember, the NBA is a players league. People don't pay to watch teams play (by people I mean the casual fan) the pay to watch stars play. Without CP3 ticket sales go to the shitter, fans lose interest, and it scare off any potential buyers for that team. The only ones calling this a travesty are laker fans which includes most of the media btw.

Personally, I would have liked that deal to have gone through. It would have put a huge dent in the Lakers greatest advantage on almost every team-their formidable front court.

Good post. The Hornets really need to get a guy who will put butts in seats.

hater
12-09-2011, 03:51 PM
:lmao ESPN crying like bitches

:lmao Lakerfans, what a bunch of vaginas

I'm loving this. this is the best day in the history of sports

Giuseppe
12-09-2011, 04:10 PM
:lmao ESPN crying like bitches

:lmao Lakerfans, what a bunch of vaginas

I'm loving this. this is the best day in the history of sports

Beats the snot outta:::

Kobe: 5

tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

I'll bet.

tee, hee.

hater
12-09-2011, 04:12 PM

I'll bet.

tee, hee.

not really. Spurs never had a blockbuster trade nixed by the Commish :lmao

Giuseppe
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
not really. Spurs never had a blockbuster trade nixed by the Commish :lmao

But, you did have:::

Kobe: 3

tee, hee.

WeNeedLength
12-09-2011, 04:23 PM

I'll bet.

tee, hee.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/73/obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

rayjayjohnson
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
A Simmons article that doesn't mention his dad? Wow.

Giuseppe
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
A Simmons article that doesn't mention his dad? Wow.

or, 6-24.

tee, hee.

LkrFan
12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Dumb as usual. What is all of the Knicks' money done for them since 1973? :downspin:

ElNono
12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Dumb as usual. What is all of the Knicks' money done for them since 1973? :downspin:

Really? Knicks haven't had star talent since 1973? :downspin:

LkrFan
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Really? Knicks haven't had star talent since 1973? :downspin:

The Hype have star talent too. Did they win the title last year? A fool and his money always parts. :downspin:

ChumpDumper
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Dumb as usual. What is all of the Knicks' money done for them since 1973? :downspin:Dumb as usual. lakerfan doesn't even know what is being discussed.:downspin:

LkrFan
12-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Dumb as usual. lakerfan doesn't even know what is being discussed.:downspin:

63K posts. You talk a lot of nothing around these parts.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
63K posts. You talk a lot of nothing around these parts.Have you figured out what is being discussed yet?