PDA

View Full Version : Pop Interview: Hinting McDyess Trade?

timvp
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Here's the Pop interview (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/111209_pop) from today. When asked about McDyess, he basically says he thinks he knows what the Spurs are going to do but he'd rather have RC tell the press.

Why would RC have to tell the press for any other reason other than a trade? RC's not necessary to announce McDyess will retire. RC's not necessary to announce McDyess is coming back.

Sounds like a trade to me. What else could it be?

The most likely trade is probably just something like McDyess traded to a team with cap space for enough cash to cover his contract in addition to a second round pick. A team that is struggling to reach the salary cap minimum would really have no reason to turn down such a trade.

But perhaps it's something more :stirpot:

ginobilized
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Turiaf? What a wild ride these first few days have been. Looking forward to more of the same.

Mel_13
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
The Knicks need to clear space to sign Chandler. Trading Turiaf for Dice and then cutting him will yield about 1.7M in extra cap space.

slick'81
12-09-2011, 06:29 PM
again i dont think pop would go into detail either way could be nothing

timvp
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Turiaf? What a wild ride these first few days have been. Looking forward to more of the same.

Turiaf is a possibility if the Knicks can't find another team to eat the whole contract, although I read earlier today that Turiaf's agent said there are teams out there willing to eat the whole thing. Maybe Nocioni if the 76ers add some cash to the deal. Raja Bell could probably be had, although he's probably done.

Other possible fits could be taking back a bad contract but then demanding a younger prospect being thrown in. Maybe something like Francisco Garcia and Jason Thompson ... or Josh Childress and Robin Lopez.

The way Pop said it, I'm guessing the trade will just be McDyess, cash and a conditional second round pick to a team like the Kings for a conditional second round pick.

weebo
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
not another french fag on the team please

Mel_13
12-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Turiaf is a possibility if the Knicks can't find another team to eat the whole contract. Maybe Nocioni if the 76ers add some cash to the deal. Raja Bell could probably be had, although he's probably done.

Other possible fits could be taking back a bad contract but then demanding a younger prospect being thrown in. Maybe something like Francisco Garcia and Jason Thompson ... or Josh Childress and Robin Lopez.

The way Pop said it, I'm guessing the trade will just be McDyess, cash and a conditional second round pick to a team like the Kings for a conditional second round pick.

Less exciting, but makes sense. Gets the full value of Dice's deal off the payroll.

Bruno
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
The Knicks need to clear space to sign Chandler. Trading Turiaf for Dice and then cutting him will yield about 1.7M in extra cap space.

More like less than $1M. Dice has a trade kicker and you had to add a min salary roster charge.

Mel_13
12-09-2011, 06:34 PM
More like less than $1M. Dice has a trade kicker and you had to add a min salary roster charge.

Just keep dashing my hopes...

Any word on Gelabale?

MaNu4Tres

This.

Makes a lot of sense. My question is, which big would be demoted? I hope not Splitter again.

phxspurfan
How about

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NblzHsQkEQ0/TuKa2YHuotI/AAAAAAAADOc/TB1g4aOkkDA/s919/trade.bmp

Dex
12-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's the Pop interview (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/111209_pop) from today. When asked about McDyess, he basically says he thinks he knows what the Spurs are going to do but he'd rather have RC tell the press.

Why would RC have to tell the press for any other reason other than a trade? RC's not necessary to announce McDyess will retire. RC's not necessary to announce McDyess is coming back.

Sounds like a trade to me. What else could it be?

The most likely trade is probably just something like McDyess traded to a team with cap space for enough cash to cover his contract in addition to a second round pick. A team that is struggling to reach the salary cap minimum would really have no reason to turn down such a trade.

But perhaps it's something more :stirpot:

If Pop when shooters go, so was CIA.

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Still makes sense if Knicks can't find a team to swallow most of Turiaf's salary.

SenorSpur
12-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Don't the Spurs have to make a decision on Dice's contract status by the first day of training camp - which is today? Otherwise, they'd be on the hook for the full value of the contract?

scottspurs
12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Is RC scheduled to speak with the media today?

Bruno
12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Any word on Gelabale?

In today's newspaper, Thunder and Spurs were the team said to be interested in him. If he can't get a NBA offer, he will likely go to Valencia.

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
How about

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NblzHsQkEQ0/TuKa2YHuotI/AAAAAAAADOc/TB1g4aOkkDA/s919/trade.bmp
:lol just imagine Lakerfan reaction if that were to happen.

Mel_13
In today's newspaper, Thunder and Spurs were the team said to be interested in him. If he can't get a NBA offer, he will likely go to Valencia.

Thanks.

How much do you think it will take to sign him?

timvp
Turiaf's $4.3 million expiring contract needs to be dispatched in order to clear enough salary-cap space for Chandler to start at nearly $14 million this season.

"The Knicks and I have been talking and we're trying to find out what's the best fit for Ronny and best fit for the Knicks,'' Turiaf's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told The Post. "A lot of teams have cap space and want him.''

Denver is believed to be one of the potential destinations but Bartelstein said others are in the mix. The Knicks could get a draft pick but may need to include cash to help pay Turiaf's salary.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_still_shopping_turiaf_GY3ldW1lvQowkMEzUpsnZ I

Doesn't sound like McDyess for Turiaf would be NY's best offer.

Bruno
12-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks.

How much do you think it will take to sign him?

A guaranteed min salary contract should be enough.

MmP
12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh Noc in this team would be all I need in SF position (or R Bell) If we could add him and Kaman Im done asking.

Mel_13
12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
A guaranteed min salary contract should be enough.

Then I'd be perfectly happy with Gelabale/Leonard/Anderson at SF and devoting available resources to adding a rotation quality big.

Bruno
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM
timvp's scenario makes sense and will be a good move for Spurs. With his trade kicker and the pro-ration of his contract, Dice will cost $2.34M to the other team. Giving them $3M in cash will be enough to cover this cost and gives the other team a little incentives.

Doing a trade instead of the amnesty rule on Dice will cost a little more money will allow Spurs to keep the amnesty provision for the future.

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
and devoting available resources to adding a rotation quality big.

Dyess/Blair/Butler for Varejao?

:deadhorse

Trill Clinton
12-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Ugh I don't want Turiaf here. I hate seeing him celebrate after every score like it was the game winning shot.

Duncan2177
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Turiaf brings toughness and mad energy. Get him in a spurs jersey

Maddog
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
energy-yes
block shots -yes
rebounds?
Did anybody see a rebound?
I haven't seen one.....

timvp
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Turiaf ain't happening. The Knicks need to shed his whole salary.

Obstructed_View
12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Do they have until the end of the day to decide on Dice? I know there was a deadline. If the Spurs let that deadline pass and then blow their amnesty on him I'm gonna kick something.

Spursfanfromafar
12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Per Marc Stein, ESPN -

@ESPNSteinLine
Marc Stein
Hearing Tyson Chandler's deal w/Knicks WILL end up as sign-and-trade w/Mavs, but Dallas will take back TBA low-salaried player Knicks choose ...

Turiaf to Spurs not happening...

timvp
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Do they have until the end of the day to decide on Dice? Technically, that is the latest info. Although McDyess' agent and the Spurs decide to push it back if they want.

slick'81
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
somehow im not torn up not landing turiaf

timvp
12-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sounded as if his staff knows what McDyess’ plans will be, but they aren’t ready to divulge that information yet.

“At this point, it’s a little bit up in the air,” Popovich said. “We kind of think we know what we’re going to do, but I’d rather give (Spurs general manager) R.C. (Buford) some time to fill all you guys in. I’m not exactly sure of the timing on all of it.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/09/no-mcdyess-joseph-as-spurs-open-camp/

Sounds like it has to be a trade of some sort.

jjktkk
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd sure like to know what were the Spurs hoping for, as far shoring up their 4/5 position? Were they hoping that Splitter, and, or. Blair were gonna be able to start. It seems that Pop and RC were caught with their pants down, as far as filling the big man void.

ginobilized
12-09-2011, 07:52 PM
It seems that Pop and RC were caught with their pants down, as far as filling the big man void.

I wonder what Freud would say about this. Sandusky?

ace3g
12-09-2011, 08:25 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
There appears to be some wiggle room in deadline to fully guarantee McDyess deal. Spurs seeking clarification.

urunobili
12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Turiaf is good friends with TP

timvp
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Buford said the Spurs have “a few days” to make their determination on McDyess.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/09/no-dice-spurs-open-camp-without-veteran-big-man/

So I guess we're in a Holting pattern.

Seventyniner
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
There appears to be some wiggle room in deadline to fully guarantee McDyess deal. Spurs seeking clarification.

I'm wondering if McDyess could authorize an extension of that deadline. It's the kind of classy thing he would do if he could.

Obstructed_View
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm quite sure that whatever this is, it's going to be both anticlimactic and disappointing.

loveforthegame
12-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm quite sure that whatever this is, it's going to be both anticlimactic and disappointing.

That's what I was thinking. And now we get to wait a few days just to hear the news. :depressed

objective
12-09-2011, 09:16 PM
McDyess + Green/Butler for Diop? It's hard to think of something that isn't just a top 55 protected pick.

slick'81
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
spurs keeping their options open nothing more imo

The_Worlds_finest
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
How about

wow no change for spurs, -1 game for hornets. Parker is a hall of famer you fucking twat.

8FOR!3
12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
somehow im not torn up not landing turiaf

Yeah I'm very iffy on Turiaf. He's a 6'10 center that can't rebound worth a shit. Sounds a lot like a Matt Bonner who sucks at offense but is a decent defender.

Wombatzu
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Turiaf is going to the Wizards.

Dex
12-09-2011, 10:49 PM
So I guess we're in a Holting pattern.

Ugh. I figured we'd at least know ONE thing by the end of the day.

Oh well. More refreshes for SpursTalk it is. Keepin' those servers warm, baby. :stir pot

The Truth #6
12-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Sounds about right.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Any chance we can get scola?

Master splitter
12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Any chance we can get scola?

Sure, if you can get a time machine. Lol

Amuseddaysleeper
12-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Haha

8FOR!3
12-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Wait, is the TJ Ford signing official?

Mr. Body
12-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Sure, if you can get a time machine. Lol

lol

*shoots self*

Kindergarten Cop
12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Wait, is the TJ Ford signing official?

He’s got a job to do. He’s a Spur just like Timmy or Manu or TJ Ford or anybody else. We come and do our work.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/09/rj-still-with-the-spurs-for-now/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Dex
12-09-2011, 11:47 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/09/rj-still-with-the-spurs-for-now/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

:wow

Maybe I just missed the news elsewhere....but looks like it's pretty much a done deal.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/TJ-Ford-Will-be-a-Spur/vOvGZ2NxNkaY5LvoZAC0YQ.cspx

cutewizard
12-10-2011, 12:05 AM
whos Gelabale?

Spursfanfromafar
12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Can someone please clarify the McDyess situation? If he hasn't been traded or has retired.. his value is his full guaranteed contract this season right? So that much has been assured, hasn't it? Why isn't anyone saying that clearly?

Mel_13
12-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Can someone please clarify the McDyess situation? If he hasn't been traded or has retired.. his value is his full guaranteed contract this season right? So that much has been assured, hasn't it? Why isn't anyone saying that clearly?

see post #38 in this thread

objective
12-10-2011, 02:34 AM
if the Hornets want some youth and salary relief instead of Lamar, they could send him to SA for McDyess, Blair, Green and Butler.

It's a feverdream for a guy who would probably still quit on the Spurs, but it would save NO money and give them cheap youth like Blair.

I know, I know, it's hopeless.

Spursfanfromafar
12-10-2011, 02:37 AM
see post #38 in this thread

Thanks. But I was keen to more about that "wiggle room".. What was the in-between-the-lines-read of the CBA or whatever, that is giving this "wiggle room"?

All said, this uncertainty is killing this Spurfan.

Also, why is this reticence among free agents to consider San Antonio as a destination? That is another question that troubles me.

ElNono
12-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Talking about Odom, is there any way to take advantage of his current emo mode and trade for him? I know SA has plenty of pastures for his wife...

Mel_13
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
if the Hornets want some youth and salary relief instead of Lamar, they could send him to SA for McDyess, Blair, Green and Butler.

It's a feverdream for a guy who would probably still quit on the Spurs, but it would save NO money and give them cheap youth like Blair.

I know, I know, it's hopeless.

This was one part of the Stern fiasco that hasn't been talked about much. While Odom, Scola, and Martin weren't going to make NOH contenders they are all skilled veterans that could be attractive to contenders as the season progresses. Demps could have very well flipped those guys for the young players/draft picks that weren't readily available in a trade for Paul right now.

objective
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Maybe flip McDyess to NO for Jermaine O'Neal's expiring deal as part of the alleged David West trade?

Obstructed_View
12-10-2011, 02:46 AM
This was one part of the Stern fiasco that hasn't been talked about much. While Odom, Scola, and Martin weren't going to make NOH contenders they are all skilled veterans that could be attractive to contenders as the season progresses. Demps could have very well flipped those guys for the young players/draft picks that weren't readily available in a trade for Paul right now.

The stated goal is to have the team under new ownership early in the season. Adding a bunch of unmarketable and largely overpaid veterans probably doesn't do much for that.

Mel_13
12-10-2011, 02:48 AM
The stated goal is to have the team under new ownership early in the season. Adding a bunch of unmarketable and largely overpaid veterans probably doesn't do much for that.

Too bad Stern didn't tell Demps before the trade.

ElNono
12-10-2011, 02:50 AM
BRHornet claims NO will have a new owner by next month... I don't see it, tbh

slick'81
12-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Antonio McDyess (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/351/antonio-mcdyess) - F/C - Spurs (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nba/sa/spurs)

Antonio McDyess is still contemplating retirement and has not ruled out playing this season for the Spurs.

Spurs management and players are trying to convince him to play, and if they're successful he'll likely hover around the 15-17 minute mark per-game. McDyess should not be viewed as a real threat to the playing time of Tiago Splitter, DeJuan Blair, or Matt Bonner.

Ice009
12-10-2011, 09:55 AM

What's the story for trades this season? Don't you normally have to wait 3 months after acquiring a player before you can trade them again? How would you do it this season?

Mel_13
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
What's the story for trades this season? Don't you normally have to wait 3 months after acquiring a player before you can trade them again? How would you do it this season?

There is a waiting period after signing a FA.

With trade acquisitions, you can flip them immediately if they are traded by themselves. So Odom, Scola, and Martin could have gone out in separate trades, but could not have been combined with other players.

Even if they had to wait 90 days, the trade deadline this season is March 15th.

Ice009
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
There is a waiting period after signing a FA.

With trade acquisitions, you can flip them immediately if they are traded by themselves. So Odom, Scola, and Martin could have gone out in separate trades, but could not have been combined with other players.

Even if they had to wait 90 days, the trade deadline this season is March 15th.

Yeah I knew about trading them within 24 hours by themselves, didn't know the trade deadline was extended this season. That is kind of crazy for it to go so late. I thought it was be around the all-star break like most other seasons.

ginobilized
12-11-2011, 12:55 PM
What is going on with McDyess? Anything? It's kinda troubling...

Amuseddaysleeper
12-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I wish/pray that there is a way the Spurs can grab Kaman and Ariza, but keyword is "pray" here.

8FOR!3
12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
If we can convince McDyess to play 15 minutes a game, I don't really see the need to sign another big guy. This might be Splitter's chance to start alongside Duncan. At the end of the day, we're not signing anybody better than Splitter anyways. He's got legit 7 foot height and he's not a big bruising guy, but he's a decent enough defender. Blair's in better shape supposedly and he can be the first big man off the bench (he's capable of being a good starter if he's really in shape. Say what you want about his size, but he dominated top big men in college basketball.) Bonner's got his role off the bench, that gives us 5 bigs, that's all we need.

Tony Parker - TJ Ford - Cory Joseph
Manu Ginobili - Gary Neal - James Anderson
Richard Jefferson - Kawhi Leonard - Danny Green
Tim Duncan - DeJuan Blair - Antonio McDyess
Tiago Splitter - Matt Bonner

Honestly, if RJ's just a little better than last year (he's shown improvement each year, so that's not much to ask. Plus his defensive numbers were pretty decent last year surprisingly enough,) young guys step up (Leonard, Blair, Anderson,) TJ Ford's a serviceable backup which he should be, and Tiago Splitter gets play time, we might be set.

Remember our two biggest problems last year - size and a perimeter defender. If Anderson gets more play time, he's proven that he's got the potential to be a solid defender. Add to that Kawhi Leonard and we've got that covered pretty well. As far as size goes, I think our success there depends on us starting Splitter and Blair's ability to step up.

therealtruth
12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
If we can convince McDyess to play 15 minutes a game, I don't really see the need to sign another big guy. This might be Splitter's chance to start alongside Duncan. At the end of the day, we're not signing anybody better than Splitter anyways. He's got legit 7 foot height and he's not a big bruising guy, but he's a decent enough defender. Blair's in better shape supposedly and he can be the first big man off the bench (he's capable of being a good starter if he's really in shape. Say what you want about his size, but he dominated top big men in college basketball.) Bonner's got his role off the bench, that gives us 5 bigs, that's all we need.

Tony Parker - TJ Ford - Cory Joseph
Manu Ginobili - Gary Neal - James Anderson
Richard Jefferson - Kawhi Leonard - Danny Green
Tim Duncan - DeJuan Blair - Antonio McDyess
Tiago Splitter - Matt Bonner

Honestly, if RJ's just a little better than last year (he's shown improvement each year, so that's not much to ask. Plus his defensive numbers were pretty decent last year surprisingly enough,) young guys step up (Leonard, Blair, Anderson,) TJ Ford's a serviceable backup which he should be, and Tiago Splitter gets play time, we might be set.

Remember our two biggest problems last year - size and a perimeter defender. If Anderson gets more play time, he's proven that he's got the potential to be a solid defender. Add to that Kawhi Leonard and we've got that covered pretty well. As far as size goes, I think our success there depends on us starting Splitter and Blair's ability to step up.

One of the most level headed and realistic analysises I've seen. And it makes perfect sense also. Splitter improves size and interior defense and Leonard/Anderson can improve perimeter defense. If we improve on our offense from last season we could do the same as last season but with better defense. I think defense is the key to anything and all the talk of acquiring players via trade/FA for their offense misses that. As much as people want RJ to be more aggressive we still had the top offense last season.

Obstructed_View
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Dice was beyond shitty for most of the playoffs, and asking him to come back a year later and play this schedule would be suicide. There should be training camp cuts that will be able to do more than he can this season.

The Truth #6
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Dice can't return. While his return wouldn't be as toxic as having RJ stick around, having Dice return, to me, is a worse statement by the FO, implying that they are creatively bankrupt and are unable to make something happen.

Obstructed_View
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm sure Pop and RC would love to rectify that "mistake" and bring Tolliver back. :lol

Fireball
12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Now its Monday ... 5 days before the first preseason game ... when the fuck will the Spurs FO tell us what happens with Dice? This is sooo boring right now.

loveforthegame
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Frustrating. Especially when it'll be nothing more than him retiring.

Obstructed_View
12-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Frustrating. Especially when it'll be nothing more than him retiring.

Or worse, that he's coming back and is the opening day starter.

Supergirl
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I'd be happy for Turiaf as the new Dice - they're very similar, tough-minded, quality backup centers.

Obviously I'd love to see us sign Kaman, but I think he's out of our league. But if we could sign Turiaf and Howard, the Spurs would have some swagger and toughness that I think they could have used last season.

Anonymous Cowherd
12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Turiaf's been signed - Wizards I believe

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
Source: #Spurs have until Dec.19 to decide on guarantee of other half of McDyess' $5.2 M contract (50 % already guaranteed)

timvp
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Dec.19

:lol Spurs are jogging in this sprint of an offseason.

ElNono
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Shit... and we probably are going to sit on it until the 19... that's a week before the opener and rosters will probably be pretty much set then...

Seventyniner
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
^Thanks for that. Either McDyess and the Spurs came to an agreement to extend the deadline, or it's been the 19th all along and we're just now hearing about it.

Duncan2177
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
:sleep

timvp
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Dec. 19 makes sense if the Spurs are looking to dump his salary somewhere. Other teams probably aren't lining up to take salary right now. The price of dumping his salary could be lowered once free agency plays out and the amnesty deadline (Dec. 16) passes.

The downside, obviously, is that signing a McDyess replacement at that point will be difficult. It's already slim pickings as it is.

timvp
12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
:lol @ timvp

I'm not sure what was more of a bust, this thread or that RJ replacements thread.

I'm guessing the Spurs had something lined up at some point that fell through. Either that or Pop is officially delusional.

Maddog
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
:lol @ timvp

I'm not sure what was more of a bust, this thread or that RJ replacements thread.

I'm guessing the Spurs had something lined up at some point that fell through. Either that or Pop is officially delusional.

I suspect the former
As you mentioned earlier it's slim picking- even before all the trades and signings the Spurs had very little to offer either money wise or contracts.
Turiaf would be decent- but as someone once said-"looks good from far, but far from good"

lefty
12-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm sure Popovich is hinting at Dice's retirement

Dex
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
We all gon' die. :(