PDA

View Full Version : Holt: "You haven't felt enough pain yet."

benefactor
12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
What pain, bitch?
*middle fingers raised*

ElNono
12-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I thought he was talking about keeping RJ, tbh...

ChumpDumper
12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
spurfan has short memory.

benefactor
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Honestly...no one really knows for sure if it has hurt the Spurs from a FA standpoint. Sure as hell didn't help though.

Fireball
12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Perhaps he meant us Spurs fans ...

Sean Cagney
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Perhaps he meant us Spurs fans ...

We have dealt with Bonner for years out there, thats enough pain to last a lifetime :lmao:depressed

Mr. Body
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Honestly...no one really knows for sure if it has hurt the Spurs from a FA standpoint. Sure as hell didn't help though.

I'd say it has more to do with San Antonio being a franchise on the long, inexorable decline and isn't even rebuilding yet. Why would you sign multiple years there for less money when there are plenty of better destinations?

benefactor
12-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I'd say it has more to do with San Antonio being a franchise on the long, inexorable decline and isn't even rebuilding yet. Why would you sign multiple years there for less money when there are plenty of better destinations?
There's also the fact that top FA's have never signed with SA anyway...even when they were winning. Both are valid points.

Still...in retrospect it was a pretty stupid thing to say. The Spurs already had multiple reasons for FA's to think twice about coming there. It's pretty irresponsible for Holt to say something like that when the chips are already stacked against his team.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, most of the people the Spurs were rumored as going after signed for more than the Spurs could pay.

That certainly hasn't changed.

Mr. Body
12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah. Holt is a massive dick, even in the world of sports owners.

Fireball
12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
We have dealt with Bonner for years out there, thats enough pain to last a lifetime :lmao:depressed

Seems like he wants to squeeze even more pain out of ... these owners just can't get enough ...

DMC
12-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Once again I have a hard time understanding the sentiment towards the players who are multimillionaires with absolutely zero skills anywhere besides playing with a basketball.

Holt isn't going to go tits up to build a championship team. He couldn't if he wanted to. Hell, Paul Allen is like a god in the money world compared to Holt and look at his shit team.

We are stuck with scraps from the tables of the big franchises. Nothing has changed.

Magua
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
When your city's main attraction is a river of sewage surrounded by a few steakhouses it's easy to see why no free agents go there.

Xevious
12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
When your city's main attraction is a river of sewage surrounded by a few steakhouses it's easy to see why no free agents go there.

That's an over simplification, but true. San Antonio is not a sexy destination for anybody except the middle class. Plus we have no money right now to give any free agents. A trade is our only hope. Either way, they better start unloading for draft picks after this season.

underdawg
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
spurfan has short memory.

I don't think it's just a matter of budget anymore - I think the Spurs FO is just more comfortable with the status quo these days. Trading Hill is about as exciting as it's going to get for the Spurs FO for a while.

The problem with standing pat is that they're no longer a team that can afford to do so. I'd welcome more Gary Neals and Stephen Jacksons, but the FO seems more content with Bonner type players - average during the season and absent in the playoffs.

slick'81
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
damn right we havent 3 more years of pain to be exact

http://thehasbeenssports.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/matt-bonner.png

lefty
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Cost-cutting solutions

He doesnt want to improve the team

Bruno
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Holt saying that was really dumb.

It certainly won't help Spurs getting quality FA now or in the future even if Spurs have biggest obstacle to lure them like being a declining team, offering little money and being in a small market.

Mr. Body
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Can we amnesty Holt and get a real owner?

ElNono
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
TJ Ford didn't mind...

ChuckD
12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
TJ Ford didn't mind...

Guys for the minimum will sign with anyone. It does seem like anyone MLE and up seems to be turning their noses up at us.

ElNono
12-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Guys for the minimum will sign with anyone. It does seem like anyone MLE and up seems to be turning their noses up at us.

I said it in jest...

Obstructed_View
12-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, most of the people the Spurs were rumored as going after signed for more than the Spurs could pay.

That certainly hasn't changed.

This. If you want to blame Holt for fucking up the Spurs' chances at getting players, talk to him about that terrible RJ contract.

The Truth #6
12-10-2011, 07:03 PM
But...I think SA still has some attraction to foreign born players, at least because there's a chance Pop might play them. But as far as American born players, no one has ever wanted to come here except at the tail end of their career. I will say a large number of Spurs will retire here because its so cheap to live and they'll still get recognized out on the town or getting gas at Valero. Yeah, so there's that.

timvp
12-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Ironically, Holt giving Pop and RC the go ahead to go way over the luxury tax threshold for the first time in franchise history to trade for RJ turned out to make the basketball team worse. If Holt would have just been cheap, the Spurs might have been forced to trade for an inexpensive under the radar alternative like Arron Afflalo or Dorell Wright.

Those damn basketball gods'll get you everytime . . .

GB20
12-10-2011, 08:25 PM
maybe the spurs know that they have not chance to win a championship this season and come up with better plan next year. 2012's draft is loaded with a lot talents players and better free agents.

mexicanjunior
12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
maybe the spurs know that they have not the chance to win a championship this season and come up with better plan next year. 2012's draft is loaded with a lot talents players and better free agents.

If that is the case...best to tank the season.

Obstructed_View
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish all of you that use the word tank would drop yourselves into a deep one.

therealtruth
12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
You guys keep forgetting even with amnestying RJ the Spurs are still over the cap. Amnestying RJ isn't about freeing cap space to get a FA. It's about Peter Holt being cheap and wanting to save money.

The Truth #6
12-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Holt will still have to pay a lot of money to RJ either way, right? I don't see any cheap alternative in this scenario. The repercussions of the failed RJ experiment will hang over the team, at least to some degree, whether he's here or not.

Marcus Bryant
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Holt Cat has been an alright owner. Mr Body remains a moron.

Mr. Body
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Holt Cat has been an alright owner. Mr Body remains a moron.

Not sure that's called for. You have pretty powerful feelings about this guy?

K-State Spur
12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
There's also the fact that top FA's have never signed with SA anyway...even when they were winning. Both are valid points.

Bad evidence - during that era, top free agents simply didn't switch teams.

Last year was the first time that we have seen that since the previous lockout.