PDA

View Full Version : Lakers pull out of three team trade (Again)

djohn2oo8
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
CP3 Trade Latest: Sources say Lakers have pulled out three-team trade for Chris Paul

raftExpress Jonathan Givony
Strange twist to this Chris Paul saga. I'm told by a NBA source that the Lakers have just elected to pull out of the trade.

Pistons < Spurs
12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
Strange twist to this Chris Paul saga. I'm told by a NBA source that the Lakers have just elected to pull out of the trade.

Pistons < Spurs
12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Sources say Lakers will instead trade Lamar Odom to Dallas into Mavericks' new trade exception

Giuseppe
12-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Thank goodness.

It's the end of the beginning.

Pistons < Spurs
12-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Guess they're gonna go after Howard now.

Giuseppe
12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Guess they're gonna go after Howard now.

Oh, Christ no.

:rolleyes

Baron Davιs
12-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Traded Lamar for Dallas's Trade Exception

ROFL

DJ Mbenga
12-10-2011, 11:58 PM
looks like they are all in for howard. can trade bynum pics and exception for howard turkoglue. orlando saves about 12 million immediately.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
This sucks. We're stuck with that little fucker now.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
damn it... I wanted them to get CP3

Banzai
12-11-2011, 12:02 AM
lmao...shit needs to fucking end...damn

Sean Cagney
12-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Howard is probably on his way now.

TimmehC
12-11-2011, 12:04 AM
damn it... I wanted them to get CP3

Seriously. Better they get Paul than Howard.

noob cake
12-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Fuck the Lakers

Now they will trade the most overrated broken down piece of shit playing the NBA for Howard

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Chris Paul is obviously beside himself with what has transpired. He's left with aging Celtics, unproven Warriors/Clippers. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/CR_Reina/statuses/145730566975782912)

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1gCQzCtPo

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Rockets got screwed as well. No Nene for them now.

Banzai
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
damn....so clearly if Paul wanted to sue..whats the point? He'll just sign with the celtics or Dallas maybe.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Rockets got screwed as well. No Nene for them now.

All the while Cuban gets Odom for practically nothing. Fuck Stern.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:10 AM
All the while Cuban gets Odom for practically nothing. Fuck Stern.

And Cuban. He blocked this trade to screw two division rivals and now gets Odom. Asshole.

ElNono
CP3 should head to the Clips... Griffin, Gordon and some more cap space to get some more pieces... the HUGE problem is Sterling... He might just trade Griffin to pay off a night with hookers...

8FOR!3
LOL Chris Paul. No one wants him.

LOL Spurs will feel bad and sign you. SIKE

DJ Mbenga
lmao...shit needs to fucking end...damn

there is a lawsuit on the way i imagine. this is only begining .

noob cake
Fuck Lakers
Fuck Stern
Fuck NBA

Most damage done to Rockets though all this

Pistons < Spurs
12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Says one Western Conference executive: "The Lakers are shifting toward trying to make a Dwight Howard deal."

Vinnie_Johnson
12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Howard doesn't want to go to LA book it he already came out and said so. The Lakers are probably looking at Billups now that is a nice fit.

LakerHater
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Oh No, whats Stern gonna do now??

DMC
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
If CP ends up in Dallas, look out. It won't happen though. I see him in Orlando to keep Dwight around or in NY to replace Billups.

DMC
12-11-2011, 12:15 AM
LOL Chris Paul. No one wants him.

LOL Spurs will feel bad and sign you. SIKE
Nah, we got TJ Ford dude, we stacked.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Paul will be a Knick now for sure.

baseline bum
12-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Paul will be a Knick now for sure.

How? They just blew their capspace on Chandler. Unless they're going to dick Amare over. :lol Either way, CROFL New York; the day they blow $60 million on Chandler they could have had Paul. Nice dicking from Cuban there.

Still, biggest CROFL is Houston: no Gasol, no salary dumping of shitty Martin, no chance Nene signs there instead of with the Nets, and another 9 seed in their future. :rollin

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:30 AM
This sucks. We're stuck with that little fucker now.

Dude, Demps is lucky he has a smart owner. He was saved from himself. He was making a big mistake and doing what most guys who aren't comfortable with their ability/job security do; commit to mediocrity to avoid truly rebuilding and looking like complete crap.

CP3 will either net them a much smarter package still or they will get their valuable cap space when he walks.

baseline bum
12-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Too bad the Clippers don't have a decent owner: if they did, they could amnesty Kaman, match the offer sheet for Jordan, and then trade the Minnesota 1st rounder and someone like Aminu or Bledsoe for Paul. At this point it would be by far his best option and he should sign the extension with them. Of course, this is only in fantasy world where they aren't owned by Sterling.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Exactly. Shit, they should just offer Eric Gordon and a first rounder and be done with it. CP3 is worth that to that franchise, especially with LA whiffing big time.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Cant say I am too mad. Disagree with DPG completely. Original trade was fair and then they (stern, shortsighted owners) decided they wanted to fuck up our cap space.

No way, that makes no sense.

I do agree Cuban is a boss. He helped block that shit so he could get a grand discount on Odom. The Hornets and Rox get screwed over the most, unless we don't get Howard.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Dude, Demps is lucky he has a smart owner. He was saved from himself. He was making a big mistake and doing what most guys who aren't comfortable with their ability/job security do; commit to mediocrity to avoid truly rebuilding and looking like complete crap.

CP3 will either net them a much smarter package still or they will get their valuable cap space when he walks.

Rebuilding doesn't work that way unless you get lucky with the lottery. Otherwise you become the T-Wolves.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Cant say I am too mad. Disagree with DPG completely. Original trade was fair and then they (stern, shortsighted owners) decided they wanted to fuck up our cap space.

No way, that makes no sense.

I do agree Cuban is a boss. He helped block that shit so he could get a grand discount on Odom. The Hornets and Rox get screwed over the most, unless we don't get Howard.

Hornets didn't get screwed at all. NO owners didn't like the deal and rightly so. If LA was still willing to scramble to get Paul it shows Demps undersold on the trade and had plenty of leverage. Good for NO.

Pelicans78
Exactly. Shit, they should just offer Eric Gordon and a first rounder and be done with it. CP3 is worth that to that franchise, especially with LA whiffing big time.

They won't give up Gordon unless CP3 signs an extension which is why the Hornets didn't get any good offers. Rondo and draft picks is a crap deal.

Killakobe81
But either way this shit needs to be solved soon ...

ROX, Magic, Lakers and hornets can't move forward until thsi shit put to bed ...

Buss is an expert poker player no way league was gonna bluff him in to a position where he would not be able to make a run at Howard.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Rebuilding doesn't work that way unless you get lucky with the lottery. Otherwise you become the T-Wolves.

This is one of the most can't miss drafts coming up. Not only will you get a good pick, but you will have cap space to go after free agents in order to get guys you actually want to build a future around.

Pelicans78
Hornets didn't get screwed at all. NO owners didn't like the deal and rightly so. If LA was still willing to scramble to get Paul it shows Demps undersold on the trade and had plenty of leverage. Good for NO.

They're not going to get anything for Paul and basically he will walk away for nothing.

BRHornet45
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk6wply4K1r5rqm0o1_r1_500.gif

ElNono
Clips can get CP3 without dealing Gordon... they have the cap space and the amnesty to make even more room.

BRHornet45
son of a bitch

Giuseppe
Unless they're going to dick Amare over.

He, Odom and Fat Ass Khloe can jump off the Chrysler Bldg.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:41 AM
This is one of the most can't miss drafts coming up. Not only will you get a good pick, but you will have cap space to go after free agents in order to get guys you actually want to build a future around.

Cap space is overrated for small market teams. Basically the Hornets would have to overpay for FAs like they did for crap like Peja and Posey. Draft picks aren't guaranteed. They're gonna be the T-Wolves for awhile.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:41 AM
They won't give up Gordon unless CP3 signs an extension which is why the Hornets didn't get any good offers. Rondo and draft picks is a crap deal.

Even if they won't offer Gordon, their young pieces and expiring contracts (Kaman) + excellent draft picks is a great offer.

Rondo and draft picks is another very solid deal because you don't take on a ton of salary, could likely get them to eat a bad contract (Ariza maybe) and get additions picks (plural) in a stacked draft.

Even if you hate Rondo, he is a tradeable asset.

baseline bum
12-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Hell no, no way they should offer Gordon. A trade like

Clippers get:
Chris Paul
Trevor Ariza

Hornets get:
2012 Minnesota 1st rounder
Al-Farouq Aminu
Randy Foye
Brian Cooke

would be a great haul. A surefire top-5 pick in an absolutely stacked draft, a nice prospect, and $5.5 million in expirings to get out of Ariza's $22 million remaining. New Orleans will never top that.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 12:43 AM

No 3 GM's had spent months building a fair deal that allowed the LAkers and ROX to also purse big men (NENE/Dwight) and also gave the Hornets solid talent to stay competitive.

Now they have an unhappy Paul, they have to scramble to find decent talent ...to fill out their roster. They got fucked, we got screwed and the rox are left empty handed.

BTW, maybe Ainge takes another shot if Paul has a change of heart ...

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Even if they won't offer Gordon, their young pieces and expiring contracts (Kaman) + excellent draft picks is a great offer.

Rondo and draft picks is another very solid deal because you don't take on a ton of salary, could likely get them to eat a bad contract (Ariza maybe) and get additions picks (plural) in a stacked draft.

Even if you hate Rondo, he is a tradeable asset.

Basically we're trading away Paul for free.

They were going to get 2-3 1st round picks in the Lakers trade before Stern squashed it again plus some younger players around established players.

Its hard to find great talent late in the 1st round. They're not going to acquire any lottery picks with a CP3 trade.

baseline bum
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Cap space is overrated for small market teams. Basically the Hornets would have to overpay for FAs like they did for crap like Peja and Posey. Draft picks aren't guaranteed. They're gonna be the T-Wolves for awhile.

All the NBA wants is to slash salary and sell the team ASAP.

pass1st
12-11-2011, 01:00 AM
BR on suicide watch, sons

BRHornet45
12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
this can't be happening

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:02 AM
No 3 GM's had spent months building a fair deal that allowed the LAkers and ROX to also purse big men (NENE/Dwight) and also gave the Hornets solid talent to stay competitive.

Now they have an unhappy Paul, they have to scramble to find decent talent ...to fill out their roster. They got fucked, we got screwed and the rox are left empty handed.

BTW, maybe Ainge takes another shot if Paul has a change of heart ...

No. NO wouldn't be competitive. They definitely don't take a step forward with their new players minus CP3/West and they were a first round and done team. They likely barely miss the playoffs. Get real.

I think LA offered a fair trade value wise, but it's not about that. The deal didn't make sense for a team in NO's position and that is why it was rightfully declined by the owner of the Hornets.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Basically we're trading away Paul for free.

They were going to get 2-3 1st round picks in the Lakers trade before Stern squashed it again plus some younger players around established players.

Its hard to find great talent late in the 1st round. They're not going to acquire any lottery picks with a CP3 trade.

What??? There was never 2-3 first rounders in this deal. There was one late first rounder and a second rounder along with mediocre players with long term financially obligations (except for Odom)and no upside

Banzai
12-11-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure what to think...DPG what are your thoughts on the current events?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:05 AM
:lol

mavs>spurs
12-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure what to think...DPG what are your thoughts on the current events?

Who cares what he thinks? He isn't some sort of Mavericks insider no matter how hard he tries to act like one.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:06 AM
:lmao You have no room. Wrong about Tyson twice :lol

DPG was right about Tyson and his contract!

mavs>spurs
12-11-2011, 01:08 AM
According to you the Mavs would still be ringless though

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
:lol Same with you :lol

Wrong about dem Mavs

Wrong about TysonTWICE

BRHornet45
12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
David Stern you stomp down ******!

mavs>spurs
12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
I was predicting us to go all the way after we went up 3-0 on LA, you had us losing every series since then.

Besides, what do my predictions have to do with YOU not being a mavericks insider? You're moving goal posts.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:11 AM
What??? There was never 2-3 first rounders in this deal. There was one late first rounder and a second rounder along with mediocre players with long term financially obligations (except for Odom)and no upside

Not in the second deal proposed. 2-3 1st round draft picks were going to be offered.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm not an insider. What does me not being an inside have to do with you being wrong about dem Mavs and TysonTWICE?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Not in the second deal proposed. 2-3 1st round draft picks were going to be offered.

From where? Where did LA get these picks from?

mavs>spurs
12-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm not an insider. What does me not being an inside have to do with you being wrong about dem Mavs and TysonTWICE?

I didn't bring up the latter, I simply asked that one guy to stop treating you like a mavericks insider. Goal posts, tbh.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:14 AM
No. NO wouldn't be competitive. They definitely don't take a step forward with their new players minus CP3/West and they were a first round and done team. They likely barely miss the playoffs. Get real.

I think LA offered a fair trade value wise, but it's not about that. The deal didn't make sense for a team in NO's position and that is why it was rightfully declined by the owner of the Hornets.

I disagree. This current team could have been better than last year's Hornets. Martin is a huge upgrade at SG. Odom and Scola are just about as good as West and now they would have gotten Patterson, Dragic and possibly other pieces as well. Plus, they could have moved Odom for more pieces. They were just getting started with this trade. No way they would have kept both Scola and Martin on the roster.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Nah, you are mad because my insider knowledge was right about Tyson while your sources let you down and allowed you to be wrongTWICE.

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 01:15 AM
chris paul was too classy about this. he should have been a douche like lebron. it worked for him!

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:16 AM
From where? Where did LA get these picks from?

One was going to be from the Hawks by taking Marvin Williams contract and they appeared to get another one somewhere else. It appears this second deal was again rejected by Stern so the Lakers finally backed out.

DPG21920
I disagree. This current team could have been better than last year's Hornets. Martin is a huge upgrade at SG. Odom and Scola are just about as good as West and now they would have gotten Patterson, Dragic and possibly other pieces as well. Plus, they could have moved Odom for more pieces. They were just getting started with this trade. No way they would have kept both Scola and Martin on the roster.

Relax, NO will come out better. There is a reason LA was willing to try and do much more. Just because Stern says do more, if LA thought it was a bad deal, they wouldn't have tried.

They gave NO a crap offer, took advantage of Demps and it's evidenced by them trying very hard to up the offer significantly.

ElNono
chris paul was too classy about this. he should have been a douche like lebron. it worked for him!

Odds of Paul having his The Decision special on ESPN next year just to piss Stern off???

mavs>spurs
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Nah, you are mad because my insider knowledge was right about Tyson while your sources let you down and allowed you to be wrongTWICE.

You're bringing in outside stuff in an attempt to move goal posts. I didn't call you wrong or even address you, so stop talking about last season. I told the other guy to stop treating you like some sort of insider. You aren't even a mavericks fan.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Dpg is david stern in disguise. You can't say that team wouldn't be competitive, look at how valuable Odom was to the lakers, now you get martin, scola, dragic, patterson, possibly lee. Come on son, get real.

BRHornet45
12-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Dpg is david stern in disguise. You can't say that team wouldn't be competitive, look at how valuable Odom was to the lakers, now you get martin, scola, dragic, patterson, possibly lee. Come on son, get real.

he just takes any chance he gets to hate on N.O.

of course they would have been a competitive playoff team and he knows it.

baseline bum
12-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Odds of Paul having his The Decision special on ESPN next year just to piss Stern off???

:rollin

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:21 AM
You're bringing in outside stuff in an attempt to move goal posts. I didn't call you wrong or even address you, so stop talking about last season. I told the other guy to stop treating you like some sort of insider. You aren't even a mavericks fan.

Is Woj a Mav fan? He's an insider.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:22 AM

Ya, Scola, Martin, Dragic, Patterson & Lee were so awesome they didn't make the playoffs last year.

Odom was valuable, to a contending team like the Lakers, not a team like NO. They would not be better than NO of last season and I can say that because I believe it.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Ya, Scola, Martin, Dragic, Patterson & Lee were so awesome they didn't make the playoffs last year.

Odom was valuable, to a contending team like the Lakers, not a team like NO. They would not be better than NO of last season and I can say that because I believe it.

If the Rockets had a center like Okafor, they would have made the playoffs. Put Okafor on the Rockets and Chuck Hayes on the Hornets and see the difference. Hornets wouldn't have kept both Scola and Odom. They would have traded Odom probably for more pieces and gotten more draft picks.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 01:30 AM

Funny, because that's the best offer they were goingto get for CP3 while keeping the team watchable an competitive. As stern tells them to ask for more, no one can, or will be able to satisfy what they are asking for, and he will walk for nothing. No draft picks, no young talent, NOTHING. And scola, martin, patterson,and lee didn't make the playoffs because a 6'6 center started the entire season at center. Now they definitely won't be better.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Ok, I'm saying it's not going to be the best offer they get and if it is, letting him walk for nada was better.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Ok, I'm saying it's not going to be the best offer they get and if it is, letting him walk for nada was better.

It isgoing to be the best offer they get because Stern will not allow any trade to happen. Yeah, the possibility of their franchise moving would be so much better.

cobbler
12-11-2011, 01:34 AM
I am going to refrain on commenting until the actual trades are done and teams are settled. Until then, I will continue to read and amuse myself with the comedy that is DPG's complete and utter stupidity. 99% of the sports world sees the trade scenarios as fair and perfectly within the hornets interest. Only the feeble minded Gilbert type morons who have to whine while taking the Lakers money that they arent smart enough to build a team see it differently. Like I always said and proved with your Gilbert type whining about welching, it's all about your Laker hate and you are digging a hole you will never get out of.

This is just beautiful!!!! :lol

slick'81
12-11-2011, 01:52 AM
The Lakers are turning their attention toward acquiring Dwight Howard according to Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo! Sports.

The Lakers told beat writer Mike Bresnahan that this was a "straight salary dump," but that's clearly misinformation fed for any number of purposes. And right out of the loopy NBA player movement playbook, it's possible that Howard made his statement about wanting to be traded to the Nets to force the Lakers out of their failing deal with Chris Paul. It's high-time for double-talk and the like, but it's clear the Lakers are going after Howard.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 01:56 AM

:lmao
:wakeup

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Laugh all you want, but if LA dedicated them self to mediocrity for years instead of rebuilding, LA fan wouldn't be celebrating.

And this is all w/o considering the ramifications of trying to get the team an owner.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:07 AM
:lmao
:wakeup
I don't get what's so absurd about that. Getting his salary off the books could be better than paying that money to people who won't improve your team. It would be better actually.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't get what's so absurd about that. Getting his salary off the books could be better than paying that money to people who won't improve your team. It would be better actually.

In any deal, you're looking for prospects who might not improve your team in the short run, but will eventually. They were getting players who would contribute now, and in the future.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:12 AM
:lmao :lmao

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:16 AM
In any deal, you're looking for prospects who might not improve your team in the short run, but will eventually. They were getting players who would contribute now, and in the future.
The players they were getting weren't doing anything in Houston, and Lamar Odom is a great 6th man, but he's not going to be the anchor on a team.

They would have a bubble team, at most, and they already have that.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Laugh all you want, but if LA dedicated them self to mediocrity for years instead of rebuilding, LA fan wouldn't be celebrating.

And this is all w/o considering the ramifications of trying to get the team an owner.

SO Hornets are supposed to realistically believe they were going to build a title contender?

a 7th seed in the west without Paul even a 8th seed for a franchise like NO is a success.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2011, 02:19 AM
lettin cp3 walk for nothing doesnt hurt the team if they are tryin to sell the team with a slate payroll

lol the rockets trade proposal is clearly bullshit, with or without those pieces the NOH are still lottery bound while taking on more contract commitment....all it does is clear the rockets payroll, so i wonder whose the hypocrite here, the rockets are allowed to shed salary but the NOH current situation is not allowed to, but u want them to take ur trash

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:19 AM
SO Hornets are supposed to realistically believe they were going to build a title contender?

a 7th seed in the west without Paul even a 8th seed for a franchise like NO is a success.

Overnight? No. They aren't going to build a contender. That is dumb.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
lettin cp3 walk for nothing doesnt hurt the team if they are tryin to sell the team with a slate payroll

lol the rockets trade proposal is clearly bullshit, with or without those pieces the NOH are still lottery bound while taking on more contract commitment....all it does is clear the rockets payroll, so i wonder whose the hypocrite here, the rockets are allowed to shed salary but the NOH current situation is not allowed to, but u want them to take ur trash

lets be realistic here rocketfans, for the last few years you guys been claiming 2nd seed....lol cant even make playoffs...

djohn2oo8
The players they were getting weren't doing anything in Houston, and Lamar Odom is a great 6th man, but he's not going to be the anchor on a team.

They would have a bubble team, at most, and they already have that.

You didn't watch what any of them did last season to make that statement. And ifyou're going on the premise of not making the playoffs, its pretty hard to do that when you have no center. After they lose paul for nothing, they'll be even harder to sell.

DPG21920
Looks like more people are starting to agree with me.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:21 AM
The NBA has taken complete control of the Hornets front office and left general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams without a deal that they wanted to make for Paul. The Hornets have been left in an impossible predicament by commissioner David Stern, who has positioned himself as basketball czar of the Hornets.

In his desire to keep the All-Star point guard on the roster to maximize the league’s selling price of the team to potential owners, Stern has shot down two deals to send Paul to the Lakers. Now, teams are leery of entering into trade talks for Paul with the Hornets basketball executives, and this could collectively cripple the franchise’s ability to get maximum value for Paul.

The Hornets front office and coaching staff is beyond devastated over this deal falling apart on Saturday night. They’re three days into training camp, and they don’t have a legitimate NBA team to put on the floor.

As a rival league executive told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday night about the possibility of getting involved in the derby for Paul now: “My initial reaction is, ‘Who wants to go through that headache with the NBA playing God?’ You want to do a deal. New Orleans’ front office wants to do a deal. And the third party – the NBA – says you can do it? Should I call Stern and see if they’re going to waive Patrick Ewing Jr., since he’s only partially guaranteed? ” The Hornets had delivered a reconstructed framework of the three-team blockbuster trade that would have sent Paul to the Lakers into the NBA office for approval Saturday, but the NBA still refused to approve it.

There was a framework discussed where New Orleans would send Paul to the Lakers, and possibly two Hornets free agents – center Jason Smith and Marcus Banks – would be sent to the Lakers in sign-and-trade agreements

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:21 AM
You didn't watch what any of them did last season to make that statement. And ifyou're going on the premise of not making the playoffs, its pretty hard to do that when you have no center. After they lose paul for nothing, they'll be even harder to sell.

:cry HOU didn't have a center. Spurs didn't have a C either and we made the playoffs.

If Scola/Martin/blah blah blah were so good, they would have made it.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Ya, so that's the other side. It's crucial to find them an owner that is not the NBA. Not only did the trade hurt that aspect, it hamstringed them from a basketball perspective as well. Smart for them not to do the deal IMO.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Sure I did. I know Scola is a good player. I know Martin is a good offensive player, flopper, whatever. Neither of them sell tickets else the Rockets wouldn't ship them out for what Memphis gave away.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:24 AM
:cry HOU didn't have a center. Spurs didn't have a C either and we made the playoffs.

Again, you are really stupid. Our team had no one over 6'9 for most of the season. Height matters. Height gives you a chance.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Again, you are really stupid. Our team had no one over 6'9 for mot of the season. Height matters.
Then why doesn't Houston hold on to Scola and Martin, and try to pick up a center?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Again, you are really stupid. Our team had no one over 6'9 for most of the season. Height matters. Height gives you a chance.

Or, Houston just sucks.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2011, 02:27 AM
The NBA has taken complete control of the Hornets front office and left general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams without a deal that they wanted to make for Paul. The Hornets have been left in an impossible predicament by commissioner David Stern, who has positioned himself as basketball czar of the Hornets.

In his desire to keep the All-Star point guard on the roster to maximize the league’s selling price of the team to potential owners, Stern has shot down two deals to send Paul to the Lakers. Now, teams are leery of entering into trade talks for Paul with the Hornets basketball executives, and this could collectively cripple the franchise’s ability to get maximum value for Paul.

The Hornets front office and coaching staff is beyond devastated over this deal falling apart on Saturday night. They’re three days into training camp, and they don’t have a legitimate NBA team to put on the floor.

As a rival league executive told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday night about the possibility of getting involved in the derby for Paul now: “My initial reaction is, ‘Who wants to go through that headache with the NBA playing God?’ You want to do a deal. New Orleans’ front office wants to do a deal. And the third party – the NBA – says you can do it? Should I call Stern and see if they’re going to waive Patrick Ewing Jr., since he’s only partially guaranteed? ” The Hornets had delivered a reconstructed framework of the three-team blockbuster trade that would have sent Paul to the Lakers into the NBA office for approval Saturday, but the NBA still refused to approve it.

There was a framework discussed where New Orleans would send Paul to the Lakers, and possibly two Hornets free agents – center Jason Smith and Marcus Banks – would be sent to the Lakers in sign-and-trade agreements

what they want is a package that allows them to rebuild, minimise payroll to make it look attractive to sell the team, where the new owner can rebuild through their own process....u gotto remember the one taking all the risk is teh investor, if you want a good example...jordan and the bobcats in there early years in the league...

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Then why doesn't Houston hold on to Scola and Martin, and try to pick up a center?
Martin and scola were requested by the hornets to be in the deal until stern said no. Gasol Nene would have been a better combo because of height in the paint. I don't mind holding onto them and picking up a center, but its past the point of no return with martin. He bitched about the trade and wants out.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
DPG aint backing down off his high horse ...djohn ...

Cavs lost Lebron for nothing. Hornets were getting something.

Funny how Odom is a geat move for Dallas. Scola the hotchick that got away from the spurs (how many threads out here lament his being traded away) and How Martin is not a brick laying chucker (like Kobe) until this weekend where they are now ...nothing. :lol

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Or, Houston just sucks.

Reading compehension, get some..

Kai
12-11-2011, 02:32 AM

If the team that was fielded after the Brooks trade last year played the full season, the Rockets would have made the playoffs. It was too little too late, but the team was much better in the second half. There's no way we would have made much noise in the playoffs though.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:33 AM
Martin and scola were requested by the hornets to be in the deal until stern said no. Gasol Nene would have been a better combo because of height in the paint. I don't mind holding onto them and picking up a center, but its past the point of no return with martin. He bitched about the trade and wants out.

That to me is the biggest crime ...you had deals agreed to in principle ...these guys are human. Sure they get paid but If walked in to any of your office/desk/store and I told you I was moving your job to another state ...yall would be pissed too ...

They should have NEVER given Demps autonomy to talk trades if they were going to cut his balls off.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:34 AM

Funny how Odom is a geat move for Dallas. Scola the hotchick that got away from the spurs (how many threads out here lament his being traded away) and How Martin is not a brick laying chucker (like Kobe) until this weekend where they are now ...nothing. :lol

:lmao My high horse. I'm am the one being called name after name and being called an idiot and laughed at by you. My high horse? lol u.

I don't agree with you here and I'm tried of explaining why.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:35 AM
That to me is the biggest crime ...you had deals agreed to in principle ...these guys are human. Sure they get paid but If walked in to any of your office/desk/store and I told you I was moving your job to another state ...yall would be pissed too ...

They should have NEVER given Demps autonomy to talk trades if they were going to cut his balls off.

Where was your outrage when the Spurs GM and Clippers GM had a deal agreed to in principle and the Clippers owner vetoed it?

Get off your high horse. If you are going to stand for a cause, do it when it has nothing to do with your team as well.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:43 AM

Who would you want for CP3 money?

How do you suggest a repossessed franchise go about picking up debt?

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:45 AM
:lmao My high horse. I'm am the one being called name after name and being called an idiot and laughed at by you. My high horse? lol u.

I don't agree with you here and I'm tried of explaining why.

I did not call you a name ...you must be confusing me with the other cats on here that disagree with you :lol

I used high horse, as a joke regulator ...:toast

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:45 AM

That's an internal issue that has nothing to do with the Lakers. The Lakers should not get involved and show their hand to an NBA owned franchise without getting their facts straight.

They basically shit in their own nest on this, and you are blaming the league. The league didn't leak the trade.

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Where was your outrage when the Spurs GM and Clippers GM had a deal agreed to in principle and the Clippers owner vetoed it?

Get off your high horse. If you are going to stand for a cause, do it when it has nothing to do with your team as well.

I was outraged then too ...they screwed Elgin over who normally drafted fairly well

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:47 AM
That's an internal issue that has nothing to do with the Lakers. The Lakers should not get involved and show their hand to an NBA owned franchise without getting their facts straight.

They basically shit in their own nest on this, and you are blaming the league. The league didn't leak the trade.

Trade was agreed to. Lakers didnt leak shit remember, Lamar didnt even get a "call" :lol

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:48 AM
^ I told him not to get down tbh...

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Stern veto = to GM/owner veto :rollin

Killakobe81
12-11-2011, 02:49 AM
^ I told him not to get down tbh...

You did ...where was the names I called you, DPG?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:51 AM
I didn't say you were calling me names. I said it's funny you said I'm on a high horse when everyone is calling me names and you are laughing at me :lol

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Stern veto = to GM/owner veto :rollin

The owner of the Hornets vetoed the trade. That is the thing people don't seem to get. It just so happens the ownership is a mess, but that is the situation we find ourselves in.

Kai
12-11-2011, 02:54 AM

Kevin might be a little bent, but he hardly bitched. He said that "Daryl showed his cards" but that doesn't really mean much. The other quote where he said "They've made it clear what they want" that keeps getting spewed on clutchfans was taken out of context and he was referring to the Hornets, not the Rockets. He's a pro, and will be fine.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:56 AM
What's the worst that can happen for the Rockets if they are unhappy, they miss the playoffs by more than they did before?

Kai
12-11-2011, 03:00 AM
What's the worst that can happen for the Rockets if they are unhappy, they miss the playoffs by more than they did before?

No, that would result in a better draft pick. We need to either get better or get worse. We're stuck on the mediocrity treadmill, and I would be irate if we picked 14th for the 3rd time in a row.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 03:01 AM
No, that would result in a better draft pick. We need to either get better or get worse. We're stuck on the mediocrity treadmill, and I would be irate if we picked 14th for the 3rd time in a row.

But your friend thinks mediocrity is something to celebrate.

DMC
12-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Trade was agreed to. Lakers didnt leak shit remember, Lamar didnt even get a "call" :lol
All trades are subject to the approval of the NBA.

jesterbobman
12-11-2011, 03:48 AM
I think the Mediocrity treadmill is the reason for the Hornets to not make it. The original trade would've probably made/kept them as a 45/50 win team, good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win a bunch of series. If they want to win a title, getting trades with the Clippers(Minnesota pick) and Celtics(Clippers pick? - depends what's in the deal) helps them do that.

The main question is with attendance. NO has had issues drawing a crowd, and crowds tend to come when there's a good team, not for a star. Sure, some individuals come to see a great talent, and the two are likely to be intertwined, but generally people respond to wins. Maybe being on the treadmill would've helped sell tickets and make more money for the Hornets this year, but there are certainly arguments against moving to get a bunch of 3rd banana guys and being a middle of the league team, especially considering the specific draft this year.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Everyone is assuming that the Hornets will strike gold in the draft. Its never a guarantee and it takes a whole lot of luck. I can see why the Hornets were making that trade because its such a big gamble to start over. The Hornets did that in 2004-2005 by tanking and trading away Baron Davis and other veterans and had the second worst record in the league. They still fell to 4th in the lottery, but got lucky that CP3 fell in their lap. If they didn't draft CP3, they would have been a perennial loser.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Of course there are no guarantees, but that is silly logic. IMO, by that logic, they shouldn't trade either because Scola/Odom/Martin could all suffer major injuries and never be the same level of player they are again.

Point is you have to give your team the best shot possible. If you trust Demps and you think he is a genius that can pull of such a sick trade, you can't turn around and say you don't trust that guy armed with numerous high draft picks to do well. Nothing is guaranteed, but you build through the draft and give yourself the best shot possible.

Drafting isn't all luck, the luck part usually is more about getting the luck to get high enough picks to draft good players (which NO would have). There is a reason why teams like the Spurs continue to draft stars no matter where they draft from. It's hard, but not impossible if you trust your guys.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Of course there are no guarantees, but that is silly logic. IMO, by that logic, they shouldn't trade either because Scola/Odom/Martin could all suffer major injuries and never be the same level of player they are again.

Point is you have to give your team the best shot possible. If you trust Demps and you think he is a genius that can pull of such a sick trade, you can't turn around and say you don't trust that guy armed with numerous high draft picks to do well. Nothing is guaranteed, but you build through the draft and give yourself the best shot possible.

Drafting isn't all luck, the luck part usually is more about getting the luck to get high enough picks to draft good players (which NO would have). There is a reason why teams like the Spurs continue to draft stars no matter where they draft from. It's hard, but not impossible if you trust your guys.

At this point now, he should take the tanking approach. It won't make the season ticket holders happy, but it is only a shortened season. Really, the team needs to focus on signing a long-term lease and then establish a stable ownership.

I still believe that he wasn't finished after the proposed trade. He was probably going to ship Odom or Scola for more pieces. Sad thing is Martin would have easily been their best SG since Bobby Phils back in the Charlotte days.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I still think they will trade him and get an offer that makes more sense. It might not be some amazing trade, but you will get a better young talent/prospect out of it (like said, not a guarantee they turn out amazing), a higher draft pick and flexibility.

ChuckD
12-11-2011, 10:40 AM
At this point now, he should take the tanking approach. It won't make the season ticket holders happy, but it is only a shortened season. Really, the team needs to focus on signing a long-term lease and then establish a stable ownership.

I still believe that he wasn't finished after the proposed trade. He was probably going to ship Odom or Scola for more pieces. Sad thing is Martin would have easily been their best SG since Bobby Phils back in the Charlotte days.

Martin's best weapon, the drawn "and one" by jumping sideways into someone, just got taken away by the league with the new continuation rule interpretation. Ninety five percent of his "and ones" will go away, and be replaced by no foul, a non-shooting foul, or in rare occasions, two shots for a non-continuation shooting foul. He was always only able to offset his horrendous defense by his plus scoring. That's no longer going to be the case.

DMC
12-11-2011, 11:14 AM

It would be a mistake to sign a long term lease when you don't have an owner. What if a new owner wants to uproot the team? It narrows the field for prospective buyers.

Any city that cannot field a team without NBA intervention probably isn't going to suddenly get better about it.

How much did Katrina really affect the Hornets? It seems it make OKC a viable NBA city and the Sonics took advantage of that. Look at them now.

There are a lot of cities in the South that do not have any pro franchises, hell some states have nothing.

Spurs9
12-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Stern finally sets up a trade that will work for basketball reasons.

Then Lakers:
Naw we will pass on CP3 now.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
It would be a mistake to sign a long term lease when you don't have an owner. What if a new owner wants to uproot the team? It narrows the field for prospective buyers.

Any city that cannot field a team without NBA intervention probably isn't going to suddenly get better about it.

How much did Katrina really affect the Hornets? It seems it make OKC a viable NBA city and the Sonics took advantage of that. Look at them now.

There are a lot of cities in the South that do not have any pro franchises, hell some states have nothing.

That's the point of signing a lease. The new owner will have to keep the team in the city for a bit. I'm sure the league has available owners who will buy the team in New Orleans otherwise they wouldn't have done all the things they did this season.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM

The Rangers and the Dodgers have been under control of the MLB at some point. Does that mean those cities shouldn't have baseball teams?

Trainwreck2100
12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
The Rangers and the Dodgers have been under control of the MLB at some point. Does that mean those cities shouldn't have baseball teams?

the difference is people actually wanted to buy those teams, nobody wants to touch the hornets

Duncan2177
12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Magic Tell Dwight To Prepare To Stay Put For Foreseeable Future
Dec 11, 2011 12:32 PM EST

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217375/Magic_Tell_Dwight_To_Prepare_To_Stay_Put_For_Fores eeable_Future

ChumpDumper
12-11-2011, 01:59 PM
The Rangers and the Dodgers have been under control of the MLB at some point. Does that mean those cities shouldn't have baseball teams?Montreal is a more relevant example in this case.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Montreal is a more relevant example in this case.

Well if the Hornets leave, then you'll be right, but if not.....