PDA

View Full Version : CP3 to Clippers?

DMC
12-11-2011, 01:33 AM
ESPNSteinLine (http://twitter.com/#%21/ESPNSteinLine) Marc Stein

Sources close to the situation tell ESPN that Clippers have emerged as "early frontrunner" to acquire CP3 now that Lakers out of running

pass1st
12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Hopefully this is right, BR is going to bleed out soon

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Better than nothing I guess. Gordon, Aminu, and Minny's 1st round pick is fair.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:38 AM

:lol Is fair? How does NO fan not absolutely love this trade compared to the LA trade. Gordon is better than anyone in the LA deal and is a young piece to help build around. Same with Aminu. This type of deal is clearly better dude. Damn.

This is the type of thing I said should happen btw.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:40 AM
:lol Is fair? How does NO fan not absolutely love this trade compared to the LA trade. Gordon is better than anyone in the LA deal and is a young piece to help build around. Same with Aminu. This type of deal is clearly better dude. Damn.

This is the type of thing I said should happen btw.

But the Clippers may not give up Gordon if CP3 doesn't sign an extension. Without Gordon, its basically trading for scraps.

Nathan89
12-11-2011, 01:40 AM

Fair is an understatement. That trade is much better than the other. Quality young players, Minny's first(which will be really good), and the Hornets will suck ass to get a great 1 round pick(they better not have traded it).

BRHornet45
12-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Hopefully this is right, BR is going to bleed out soon

son I'm OK

just a little butthurt

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:42 AM
But the Clippers may not give up Gordon if CP3 doesn't sign an extension. Without Gordon, its basically trading for scraps.

Dude, even w/o Gordon, Clips can offer a much better package. They can get you big man as good as Scola in Kaman who doesn't require you to take on salary past this year, actual young players like Aminu/Bledsoe along with a much more attractive pick(s) package.

I think Gordon could be in play and that would be a huge win for NO. Huge.

pass1st
12-11-2011, 01:44 AM
son I'm OK

just a little butthurt

Son, you guys still have CP3 to trade and that carlton banks mother fucker will get you guys good picks n pieces. If he walks though, well, Stern took the biggest shit he ever had on you guys.

Pelicans78
Dude, even w/o Gordon, Clips can offer a much better package. They can get you big man as good as Scola in Kaman who doesn't require you to take on salary past this year, actual young players like Aminu/Bledsoe along with a much more attractive pick(s) package.

I think Gordon could be in play and that would be a huge win for NO. Huge.

Bledsoe just had cartilage surgery on his knee. Could be damaged goods.

Basically, the team might as well just get the Minny pick, Kaman, and Aminu and tank and hope to get lucky in the lottery with 2 picks. If they don't get lucky, then its gonna be the Timberwolves for a few years.

m>s
you have to lose some true values if you want to acquire CP3 from the NBA hornets imho, the old fat son of a bitch stern ain't allowing a gasol trade to happen to his own franchise imho

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:45 AM
If you lose a star, that is going to happen. But unless you want to prolong that with a few extra years of being very mediocre and missing the playoffs or being one and done, you have to go that route.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 01:45 AM
CP3 just isn't signing an extension with the Clippies though... and considering Sterling track record, he would be completely right not to do so. Demps is not going to get much for a one year rental.

DMC
12-11-2011, 01:47 AM
you have to lose some true values if you want to acquire CP3 from the NBA hornets imho, the old fat son of a bitch stern ain't allowing a gasol trade to happen to his own franchise imho
Paul is walking next year for nothing. If the Hornets can get some good pieces for him this year, not a bad deal, but if it's about Stern wanting to sell a CP3 led Hornets team, it might be a hard sell. Young, low rent players are better than middle of the pack money that's going to bubble every year.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Who is he going to sign with then, Nono? LA is out. They have no shot at CP3 in free agency. Knicks also do not have a shot. He has to sign with someone and I have to imagine Griffin is a pretty attractive player to a guy like CP3.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:49 AM
It's like what the Mavs did. They turned a FA and their late first rounder into a talented player (for a contender) on an expiring contract to keep financial flexibility.

This is what NO needs to do and should do. This is what every team wanting CP3 offers that LA did not.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Who is he going to sign with then, Nono? LA is out. They have no shot at CP3 in free agency. Knicks also do not have a shot. He has to sign with someone and I have to imagine Griffin is a pretty attractive player to a guy like CP3.

:lmao CP3 wants to contend. He won't sign with the Clippers.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:52 AM

So who is he going to sign with, dj?

DMC
12-11-2011, 01:52 AM

If he wants to live in LA and play with up and coming talent, there's no reason for him to not go there.

He's not going to NY, Lakers or Nets, and Miami is out as well.

He's relegated to the less attractive teams, but the Clippers could become contenders, and it's not like Paul is accustomed to NBA final 4.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 01:53 AM

FA next season. Lakers can amnesty a bad contract (ie: Turk from the Howard deal), Barnes comes off the books, move World Peace and make some room for him. Dallas has Kidd + Terry (that's nearly $20 million) coming off the books too.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Heck, I would pay to watch Stern's face when Paul announces in his The Decision ESPN special special next summer that he's heading to the Lakers

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 01:56 AM

true. the clips offer before the lakers got involved was kaman aminu and a 1st rounder

DMC
12-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Heck, I would pay to watch Stern's face when Paul announces in his The Decision ESPN special special next summer that he's heading to the Lakers
Stern won't give a shit next year.

The Lakers are basically disassembling a back 2 back championship team for the possibility of getting some names.

DPG21920
LA can't get under the cap next year, at least by using amnesty. I can't see how they can do it. They are out. They are at 83M with LO off the books. NY is out. MIA is out. So really you are saying Dallas? If that is it and he wants to narrow it down, then ya NO is screwed bc Dallas wont trade for him now if they believe what you say that they are literally the only team he can sign with.

Also, is Dallas a contender next year? A roster of Dirk/Marion/Brewer/Roddy/Jones isn't that great imo?

djohn2oo8

He can wait it out until FA, its not on him to get a deal done asap. Of course he would have resigned with the Lakers, but now he can wait until FA, giving the lakers time to make room. Dallas might have room as well.

If he wants to live in LA and play with up and coming talent, there's no reason for him to not go there.

He's not going to NY, Lakers or Nets, and Miami is out as well.

He's relegated to the less attractive teams, but the Clippers could become contenders, and it's not like Paul is accustomed to NBA final 4.

The only way he would go to the clippers I s if howard went there. Otherwise he can wait it out. If he's traded, he'll still end up waiting until FA to sign with a contender.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM

He could just stay in New Orleans.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM
true. the clips offer before the lakers got involved was kaman aminu and a 1st rounder

That is still better than LA/HOU deal. Kaman is as good as Scola and expiring so they get cap space. Aminu is a better prospect than anyone NO was getting and the first rounder is much better than the one offered as well.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:01 AM
That is still better than LA/HOU deal. Kaman is as good as Scola and expiring so they get cap space. Aminu is a better prospect than anyone NO was getting and the first rounder is much better than the one offered as well.

You are really stupid.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Unless I said HOU was a second seed, than you have no right...

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:03 AM
LA can't get under the cap next year, at least by using amnesty. I can't see how they can do it.

That's not really true. It depends who they trade for Howard. If it's Gasol, Bynum is a team option next season. His bum knee acts again, and they can cut him loose and make the cap room. If they have Dwight, they're not going to need a lot more up front.

It's still too early to tell. But I suspect Paul will have to sit the year in NOH. As Woj was saying, who wants to make a deal with the NBA playing God and CP3 not wanting to extend?

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Unless I said HOU was a second seed, than you have no right...

You said that letting CP3 walk for nothing was a good idea. That tops the dumbassery of the 2nd seed prediction.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Stern won't give a shit next year.

Stern gives a shit because he has a team to sell.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
You said that letting CP3 walk for nothing was a good idea. That tops the dumbassery of the 2nd seed prediction.

No. Wrong again. I said letting him walk for nothing was better than the shit deal with LA/HOU. I am all for them trying to move CP3 and they should. But they shouldn't get worse off because of it.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:09 AM
No. Wrong again. I said letting him walk for nothing was better than the shit deal with LA/HOU. I am all for them trying to move CP3 and they should. But they shouldn't get worse off because of it.

Which you still don't say how they get worse off. Had the deal been accepted, even if you still don't think they would have been competitive, the could have flipped odom, scola, martin at the deadline for more pickss.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Stern gives a shit because he has a team to sell.
Why will Paul going to LA affect the sale of the Hornets? He's a FA next year, he can walk and that clears the books. As an owner, I would want salary space, not to get into contracted role players that were thrown together just to satisfy a trade.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Which you still don't say how they get worse off. Had the deal been accepted, even if you still don't think they would have been competitive, the could have flipped odom, scola, martin at the deadline for more pickss.

By that logic, couldn't the flip the guys I said as well without the risk of long term financial obligations all the while starting off with a better first round pick?

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:15 AM
By that logic, couldn't the flip the guys I said as well without the risk of long term financial obligations all the while starting off with a better first round pick?

A better first round pick doesn't equate to a good player at that pick, he could be a complete bust. You would be better off with multiple first round pics instead of one.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Why will Paul going to LA affect the sale of the Hornets? He's a FA next year, he can walk and that clears the books. As an owner, I would want salary space, not to get into contracted role players that were thrown together just to satisfy a trade.

No, I'm talking about another The Decision special where a star players shits on the small market team and heads to a big market.

I mean, look at this player movement right now. It's all big markets wheeling and dealing. And it's not like small market teams don't have the cap space.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 02:16 AM
You can always flip a bad contract at the deadline because teams are desperate enough and will overpay

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:17 AM
You can flip good contracts much easier.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:19 AM
No, I'm talking about another The Decision special where a star players shits on the small market team and heads to a big market.

I mean, look at this player movement right now. It's all big markets wheeling and dealing. And it's not like small market teams don't have the cap space.

There are plenty of teams wheeling and dealing. They only talk about the stars though. No star wants to come to SA or any other small market. Why would they?

It's not going to change as long as players can become free agents. Teams have to become desirable places for stars to land, but that won't happen when the biggest factor is the shithole city in which the team resides.

It's the nature of the beast. You cannot get parity in a free will system.

The onus is also on the drafting team. When you get a really good 1st overall pick, put some damn talent around him and he might stay.

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
You can always flip a bad contract at the deadline because teams are desperate enough and will overpay
I will remember that with RJ.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:24 AM
There are plenty of teams wheeling and dealing. They only talk about the stars though. No star wants to come to SA or any other small market. Why would they?

It's not going to change as long as players can become free agents. Teams have to become desirable places for stars to land, but that won't happen when the biggest factor is the shithole city in which the team resides.

It's the nature of the beast. You cannot get parity in a free will system.

But that was the point of the 6 month charade we just went through. That players wouldn't be able to strangle teams and pick destinations, that big market teams wouldn't be able to pull as much weight around, parity and all that baloney.

And Stern cares because he has to sell a small market team somehow, while top talent making it patently clear they won't to play or stay there.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:25 AM
The onus is also on the drafting team. When you get a really good 1st overall pick, put some damn talent around him and he might stay.

What talent? The one that doesn't want to go to your small market? :lol

DMC
12-11-2011, 02:29 AM
What talent? The one that doesn't want to go to your small market? :lol

The Hornets could have attracted talent when they were competitive. Hell, the Spurs managed to find Ginobili, Parker, Barry, Bowen, Horry, Finley, etc... Surely the Hornets when they had Chandler, Paul, West and Peja could find some decent help other than Jarret Jack. Also, as things dwindled, they didn't even have an owner.

People buy teams with the knowledge that they have to build. They get some decent 1st overall pick and they start collecting the money right away, and the pick gets tired of playing with role players and moves on.

Had Lebron won a ring in Cleveland, he stays there. Had Paul even made the Finals in New Orleans, he stays.

The Spurs did it, other teams can. I know we got two 1st overall picks but they were like 10 years apart. We have found and developed a great deal of talent, and we are always competitive.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Bottom line is we will just have to wait and see. I've said my take on it (more than once :lol) and we will see how it shakes out. This is my opinion and I'll either look like an idiot or a genius. Let's see what happens if they can agree to a trade that goes through, or what happens if they just get cap space.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:46 AM
The Hornets could have attracted talent when they were competitive. Hell, the Spurs managed to find Ginobili, Parker, Barry, Bowen, Horry, Finley, etc...

Gino and Parker were draft pickups. Finley you can easily say was chasing a ring. Barry and Horry joined up when the Spurs were already dominant and had multiple rings. Bowen is the only one you could say that came over when Tim was still on his rookie deal, but he was far from a top FA.

Frankly, the Spurs were on a different situation because they still had DRob around.

Surely the Hornets when they had Chandler, Paul, West and Peja could find some decent help other than Jarret Jack. Also, as things dwindled, they didn't even have an owner.

People buy teams with the knowledge that they have to build. They get some decent 1st overall pick and they start collecting the money right away, and the pick gets tired of playing with role players and moves on.

It's not just that. Endorsements matter. And with salaries contracting, they matter even more. The big market will always pay better.

Had Lebron won a ring in Cleveland, he stays there. Had Paul even made the Finals in New Orleans, he stays.

I just disagree with this. You don't have to look farther than Tyson Chandler who just won a ring with Dallas (not a small market) and jumped to NY.

It's all about money and super-teams these days, seemingly.

The Spurs did it, other teams can. I know we got two 1st overall picks but they were like 10 years apart. We have found and developed a great deal of talent, and we are always competitive.

We had a very rare breed in Duncan. A low key guy that runs away from the spotlight. He's the exception, not the rule.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 02:50 AM
I mean, shit, I hear Bynum bitching about wanting his own team while he's playing for the Lakers next to a great like Gasol, and a couple of talented coattailers like MWP and Kobe. Instead of being grateful, he's whining.

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 03:00 AM
That's not really true. It depends who they trade for Howard. If it's Gasol, Bynum is a team option next season. His bum knee acts again, and they can cut him loose and make the cap room. If they have Dwight, they're not going to need a lot more up front.

It's still too early to tell. But I suspect Paul will have to sit the year in NOH. As Woj was saying, who wants to make a deal with the NBA playing God and CP3 not wanting to extend?

suspect if the clips just offer the minesotta pick they'll accept it (stern). it adds no money, provides the new owner of the possiblity of a first overall pick, they might even rig the lottery for it. and take kaman aminu. i know they dont want to give up gordon because paul is more likely to stay if he has talent around him but man you gotta pay gordon and paul next year and blake still has the max coming after. jordan is gone

DMC
12-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Gino and Parker were draft pickups. Finley you can easily say was chasing a ring. Barry and Horry joined up when the Spurs were already dominant and had multiple rings. Bowen is the only one you could say that came over when Tim was still on his rookie deal, but he was far from a top FA.

Exactly my point. The Spurs made good players better, and found diamonds late into the draft and internationally. Why can New Orleans find anyone decent? Maybe being 24th on the team salary explains a lot of it.

Frankly, the Spurs were on a different situation because they still had DRob around.

Sure, but they are still competing. That's my point. Neal, Hill, Blair, Anderson, all these guys are better than people thought they would be, and no one even thought of Gary Neal.

Other small markets want to have a champagne operation on a beer budget but you have to have more savvy to operate in a small market and remain profitable/competitive.

Sorry, it's a rich man's game and I don't buy that it's "unfair".

It's not just that. Endorsements matter. And with salaries contracting, they matter even more. The big market will always pay better.

That's what the salary cap and increased penalties/revenue sharing is supposed to help control. It's never going to make players want to play in Minnesota however.

I just disagree with this. You don't have to look farther than Tyson Chandler who just won a ring with Dallas (not a small market) and jumped to NY.

He did, but Cuban didn't really want him around for that money anyhow. It's a business first, entertainment second. TC is not overrated as far as his impact to Dallas, but he's overrated as far as his individual ability as a center. He will make NY better, but he's not worth what he wanted.

A guy wins a ring, is told he was the difference maker and suddenly he wants more money. It's not uncommon.

It's all about money and super-teams these days, seemingly.

We had a very rare breed in Duncan. A low key guy that runs away from the spotlight. He's the exception, not the rule.
This is true, but small markets that try to manage like large markets aren't doing themselves any favors. Who is Dan Gilbert going to get to work for him? No one. Phil Jackson writes a book attacking Kobe and he's invited back and they win 2 rings together. That shit would never happen in a small market, mostly because no one would read the book, because big name coaches would never go there, and because big name players would never team up there.

It's how the NBA is. At least we aren't dealing with back 2 back threepeats every other cycle.

12-11-2011, 03:06 AM
i hope this is true. cp3 + blake griffin is going to be so sick. i would jump on that bandwagon even though i already support the clippers.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Exactly my point. The Spurs made good players better, and found diamonds late into the draft and internationally. Why can New Orleans find anyone decent? Maybe being 24th on the team salary explains a lot of it.

Nah, the Spurs had two HoF'ers in the team. One of which is going in history as perhaps the best ever to play in his position. The Spurs FO deserves the credit for not getting in his way, but Tim should get all the credit for not being one of the spoiled bitches you see today.

Sure, but they are still competing. That's my point. Neal, Hill, Blair, Anderson, all these guys are better than people thought they would be, and no one even thought of Gary Neal.

Uh? Those are all rookie deal guys. And not sure what you mean by "still competing". If you mean playoff bounds, sure. But that has everything to do with the big 3, not the rooks.

Other small markets want to have a champagne operation on a beer budget but you have to have more savvy to operate in a small market and remain profitable/competitive.

Sorry, it's a rich man's game and I don't buy that it's "unfair".

Well, I made no claim to the fairness of it all. It's just what it is.

Supposedly, this whole lockout had everything to do with balancing the playing field for small market teams. I guess it was all baloney.

That's what the salary cap and increased penalties/revenue sharing is supposed to help control. It's never going to make players want to play in Minnesota however.

Well, the idea is that since players are picking money over winning, they would flock towards those teams that would offer more, and with big markets pretty much packed with star talent, they would be enticed to sign with Minnesota. That was the plan anyways.

He did, but Cuban didn't really want him around for that money anyhow. It's a business first, entertainment second. TC is not overrated as far as his impact to Dallas, but he's overrated as far as his individual ability as a center. He will make NY better, but he's not worth what he wanted.

A guy wins a ring, is told he was the difference maker and suddenly he wants more money. It's not uncommon.

But this is where I flip it on you. If Dallas doesn't win this season, or comes close (ie: WCF), then it's gonna backfire on Cubes, and the argument won't be too different from the one you're making above (inability to keep/put the right pieces around)

Also, Lebron could've made more money by staying Cleveland (or Bosh in Toronto). So money obviously isn't seemingly a factor here either.

This is true, but small markets that try to manage like large markets aren't doing themselves any favors. Who is Dan Gilbert going to get to work for him? No one. Phil Jackson writes a book attacking Kobe and he's invited back and they win 2 rings together. That shit would never happen in a small market, mostly because no one would read the book, because big name coaches would never go there, and because big name players would never team up there.

It's how the NBA is. At least we aren't dealing with back 2 back threepeats every other cycle.

Well, I don't particularly believe there is or will be parity. But that's what we've been told will happen now, and if you're selling a small market team, you certainly want to make the prospective buyer feel like he's not buying into the Washington Generals.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey DMC, the Hornets had a top 5 salary at one point when they had Chandler, West, Peja, CP3, etc. They were approaching the luxury tax until a couple of years ago when they started to dump salaries.

The problem was overpaying on Peja and James Posey, bad draft picks and other bad contracts. They simply blew it and CP3 would have stayed if they were a model franchise. The Hornets have been one of the worst run franchises in the league especially since coming to NOLA. In fact, they've been a stain on the city.

ChuckD
12-11-2011, 09:42 AM

That's WAY better than that shit in the original trade. If Demps can strip it down bare before the season begins without taking on longterm vet contracts, they'll be so bad they could easily have 2 top 5 picks, the Minny one and their own. They would only have to suck for one shortened season before the bounce would begin.

ChuckD
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
FA next season. Lakers can amnesty a bad contract (ie: Turk from the Howard deal), Barnes comes off the books, move World Peace and make some room for him. Dallas has Kidd + Terry (that's nearly $20 million) coming off the books too.

The LAL payroll is like 90M, and Dallas isn't far behind. Even dumping Odom for nothing, and amnestying and roll off contracts isn't getting you down into the low 40s to make a MAX offer.

m>s
12-11-2011, 10:01 AM
shitty FO cost their chance of making a true contender imho

Scrub
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Minny pick+Bledsoe+Kaman is a fair offer for Paul. Gordon stays! Hornets can then flip Kaman for another good first round pick and tank the shit out of the season. Then they're bound to receive at least three good young talents next year. Which is basicaly all you can hope for when rebuilding.

And as I've said some time ago i would LOVE to see Paul in a Clippers uni and Dwight on the Nyets.

Clippers:
Paul/Mo
Gordon
Butler
Griffin
Jordan

Nets:
Deron
Morrow
Kirilenko via Russian Mafia connection for the vet min
Humpries
Dwight

Clippers shitting on Lakers and Nets buttfuckin Knicks would make the world a better place imho tbh.

DMC
12-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Uh? Those are all rookie deal guys. And not sure what you mean by "still competing". If you mean playoff bounds, sure. But that has everything to do with the big 3, not the rooks.

The only reason there's a "big 3" is because the Spurs found and developed two of them, and put pieces around them to win. Every team could have a big 3 if they held onto players long enough to get there. LA gets a 6th man of the year and right away they trade him to try to get back to the championship. They aren't doing that to remain profitable. They will be profitable regardless. They can just focus on winning rings and they will trade anyone to get there. It wasn't up to Lamar.

Many of the teams in the league might have traded Tim, Tony or Manu years ago.

Duncan deserves a ton of credit, but without pieces like Bowen, they probably don't win a ring. There's been great players go their entire careers with decent pieces and never win a ring. It almost happened to Dirk in fact.

Well, I made no claim to the fairness of it all. It's just what it is.

Supposedly, this whole lockout had everything to do with balancing the playing field for small market teams. I guess it was all baloney.

The lockout was about the owners getting a bigger piece of the pie. They didn't put much in place to force free agents to sign with small market teams. Until that happens, it's not going to be a balanced playing field.

Well, the idea is that since players are picking money over winning, they would flock towards those teams that would offer more, and with big markets pretty much packed with star talent, they would be enticed to sign with Minnesota. That was the plan anyways.
And Minny does have Beasley and Kevin Love, but we are so fixated on the top tier players that we pretty much ignore anyone else.

If Kevin Love was a free agent, he would probably go to a big market. Anything else is basically going against the concept of supply/demand.

But this is where I flip it on you. If Dallas doesn't win this season, or comes close (ie: WCF), then it's gonna backfire on Cubes, and the argument won't be too different from the one you're making above (inability to keep/put the right pieces around)
Naw, you're talking apples and oranges now. Dirk isn't going to leave, and the only reason I mentioned putting pieces around Paul was to keep in him New Orleans, not to ensure a ring. No one can ensure a ring, as Miami found out. Stars want a shot at a ring. Paul has no shot at a ring in New Orleans, none. If they cannot get that shot, some opt for high profile teams and fat contracts instead. This is why I see Paul with the Clippers (especially since they've offered Jordan 10m a year to stick around).

The Mavs will remain competitive enough to keep it's core. TC had a one year deal. He was probably never going to stick around in Dallas.

Also, Lebron could've made more money by staying Cleveland (or Bosh in Toronto). So money obviously isn't seemingly a factor here either.

Lebron could have made more in salary, but probably not more in total revenue. He needs a ring to continue making top dollar in endorsements. The "up and coming" only lasts for so long before a new face emerges (like Blake). Plus, Lebron wanted to live in South Beach and hang with his buddy. He's a child.

Well, I don't particularly believe there is or will be parity. But that's what we've been told will happen now, and if you're selling a small market team, you certainly want to make the prospective buyer feel like he's not buying into the Washington Generals.The first thing anyone is going to want to do is look at the numbers. What has the team historically done? New owners want to know what the market is like, they can build a competitive team if the market is there. There's just no market in New Orleans, at least not enough.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Exactly. Flipping a guy like Kaman is easy due to his ability and contract (even with his trade kicker). The Minny pick is unprotected and extremely valuable. That is the true prize along with flexibility. If you can get a young player out of it (Jordan - kills some flexibility, but at least he's young or Bledsoe or Aminu...) that is just gravy IMO.

That Kaman contract along with that Minny pick is really good value and would be a great move for Demps. If they didn't want to gamble on the draft, that Minny pick (along with NO's capspace) would allow for them to trade for a really good player that is proven.

DMC
12-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey DMC, the Hornets had a top 5 salary at one point when they had Chandler, West, Peja, CP3, etc. They were approaching the luxury tax until a couple of years ago when they started to dump salaries.

The problem was overpaying on Peja and James Posey, bad draft picks and other bad contracts. They simply blew it and CP3 would have stayed if they were a model franchise. The Hornets have been one of the worst run franchises in the league especially since coming to NOLA. In fact, they've been a stain on the city.

They were a good team back then, always competitive, but maybe not profitable. That's because they don't have the right market. They need to relocate, or just be dissolved.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Well, that's the point, if he wants to play he will have to take the pay cut. He will relent and sign with the best team he can in the biggest market for the most money.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Dallas is far from set.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
They were a good team back then, always competitive, but maybe not profitable. That's because they don't have the right market. They need to relocate, or just be dissolved.

Its just not true. The franchise has done a horrible job marketing itself in the city. Its really been a horribly run franchise. I'll give you examples where they screwed up.

1) Not changing the name of the team. Hornets brand belongs in Charlotte. There's nothing New Orleans about the name Hornets. They could have rebranded the team to energize the local fan base and establish itself as a symbol for the city.

2) The television contract has been terrible as well. The Hornets aren't even televised every where in the greater New Orleans and in the Gulf South. They're not even televised on Direct TV. Hard to build a fan base if the entire city and region can't watch them.

3) Bad ownership and front office. Shinn was one of the worst owners in the league. He underpaid scouts, front office people and ran the team like Wal-Mart. The team drafted poorly, made poor FA signings and all of a sudden had a top 5 payroll. He built up tremendous debt and it cost them a local billionaire owner who would have bought the team if not for the massive debt accumulated. That's why the league bought the team to help get rid of the debt and make the franchise more marketable.

When the team is winning, they do draw well. No one in NOLA wants to watch a crap team. Their attendance was strong in the playoff seasons. The hurricane had a short-term effect on the attendance, but they still overcame that in 2007-2008 by selling out games in the 2nd half of the season. That was the first season they returned from OKC.

They've made alot of strides this offseason. The debt is gone, they've established 5-6 brand new corporate sponsorships, they've legitimately sold over 10,000 season tickets. Now they're working on a long-term lease to keep the team in the city and if that happens they will establish an ownership. They also need to dump the Hornets brand and start over with something NOLA people can identify. The Hornets name still identifies with Charlotte and even OKC.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Dallas is far from set.

Just remember, D, you're a Spurs Fan, not a Mavs Fan.

:rolleyes

DMC
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Just remember, D, you're a Spurs Fan, not a Mavs Fan.

:rolleyes
The Prediction!!!

Wasn't that for Phoenix? Aren't you a Lakers fan?

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
The Prediction!!!

Wasn't that for Phoenix? Aren't you a Lakers fan?

& a Suns fan.

It's my religion.

P.S.,,& D was wrong about the players beating the owners. Huge time wrong!

DMC
12-11-2011, 11:07 AM
& a Suns fan.

It's my religion.

So your religion is that you aren't held to the same standards you hold others to.

Got it.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 11:08 AM
& a Suns fan.

It's my religion.

To be honest, the owners didn't win much. No franchise tag, no hard cap, still have guaranteed contracts. A whole lot won't change.

Small market owners need to stop complaining and learn how to run their franchise better.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:08 AM
So your religion is that you aren't held to the same standards you hold others to.

Got it.

Yer capitulation is duly noted.

lmvictoriousao!!!

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:09 AM
To be honest, the owners didn't win much. No franchise tag, no hard cap, still have guaranteed contracts. A whole lot won't change.

Small market owners need to stop complaining and learn how to run their franchise better.

3,000 million dollars is a loss. A gargantuan loss!

DMC
12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Yer capitulation is duly noted.

lmvictoriousao!!!
But the Suns weren't, ergo::::: The Prediction!!!

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:36 AM
But the Suns weren't, ergo::::: The Prediction!!!

D has nary room. He picked the players over the owners. And was monumentally wrong!

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 11:53 AM
3,000 million dollars is a loss. A gargantuan loss!

Uh, uh, you said it was about the system. You said if the players held firm on that, the money wasn't the issue.

I'm not letting you dump the cross you need to bear onto someone else. Not when I'm regulating.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Uh, uh, you said it was about the system. You said if the players held firm on that, the money wasn't the issue.

I'm not letting you dump the cross you need to bear onto someone else. Not when I'm regulating.

I know. D said it. He said the players would triumph over the owners. That ain't what happened. 3,000 million dollars later, D was wrong. Astronomically wrong!

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
No, you said it. Players seem to be moving around and getting big contracts. They fought the system and gave up the money to do it which is what you said would be a win, ipso facto you said the players won. You have no room on this day.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
No, you said it. Players seem to be moving around and getting big contracts. They fought the system and gave up the money to do it which is what you said would be a win, ipso facto you said the players won. You have no room on this day.

No. D said it. He said the players would dominate the owners. He was wrong. Infinitely wrong!

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
You are right there with him.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
You are right there with him.

No. He's right there with me.

The Prediction was first.

Then he picked the players over the owners and he was wrong. Grossly wrong!

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
No. I took notes and I'm sure of it.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
No. I took notes and I'm sure of it.

Yer wrong.

Let us proceed...

DMC
12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
The Prediction!!!

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
^D has nary room. He picked the players over the owners and he was wrong.

3 billion smackers wrong!

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Looks like DPG could have been onto something:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m524/jjutd/CP3.jpg

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 07:43 PM
hornets demands are rather fair. get rid of a first rounder.
edit: looks like the clips want to give up gordon. makes sense. the rookie from next years draft will be cheap. gordon is due an extension soon

DMC
12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
^D has nary room. He picked the players over the owners and he was wrong.

3 billion smackers wrong!
Right, and I took a hit on Dell stock a few years back.

Not the same as predicting the Suns with role players, not even close.

Keep slinging that line though. Your sentence has been dealt, you wear the scarlet letter "P".

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Right, and I took a hit on Dell stock a few years back.

Not the same as predicting the Suns with role players, not even close.

Keep slinging that line though. Your sentence has been dealt, you wear the scarlet letter "P".

I got no problem wearing the "P." I bear my crosses.

DoK was wrong. He's nary room. He picked the players over the owners. 3,000 million somalians wrong.

DMC
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
i got no problem wearing the "p." i bear my crosses.

Dok was wrong. He's nary room. He picked the players over the owners. 3,000 million somalians wrong.
p

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
^

InRareForm
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
twitter saying Clippers not giving up GOrdon or a pick without knowing if Cp3 will op in for a 2nd year.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
We'll see....Even if they don't, just getting expiring Kaman + Aminu is better than LA/HOU offer.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
^Deepy, runnin' as fast as he can.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Hornets definitely need to take Minny's 1st round pick. May be more important than Gordon.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 08:47 PM
^Deepy, runnin' as fast as he can.

You're a damn idiot. If this happens your boy Kool is going to get sh*t on something epic.

InRareForm
12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Hornets definitely need to take Minny's 1st round pick. May be more important than Gordon.

younger,cheaper, gooddraft

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
http://www.atthehive.com/2011/12/11/2629113/nba-rumors-chris-paul-clippers-eric-gordon

The expectation was that after the Los Angeles Lakers pulled out of restructuring the original Lakers-Rockets-Hornets vetoed trade, teams around the league would lowball Dell Demps and the Hornets and acquire Chris Paul for pieces far less valuable than New Orleans was originally receiving. Potential game changer on the horizon though, via ESPN's Marc Stein:

If he can't land with the Los Angeles Lakers or New York Knicks, Chris Paul's preference is to be traded by the league-owned New Orleans Hornets to the Los Angeles Clippers to play alongside Blake Griffin, according to sources close to the situation.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM
What's more important? Gordon or Minny's draft pick?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Probably Minny's pick, but I am pretty high on EG. If you could get both that would be stellar.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Probably Minny's pick, but I am pretty high on EG. If you could get both that would be stellar.

Both would be nice, but I'm leaning towards Minny's pick.

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
What's more important? Gordon or Minny's draft pick?

its tough. proven vs unproven commodity. gordon is proven, but is also due a monster extension soon. minesotta should suck but what if its a bust? imagine cheap sterling will try to get gordon traded so he doesnt have to pay him

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I would agree. Kaman + Minny's Pick + any of their young guys is a great deal for NO all things considered and is in line with what they should get.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
As I outlined before, CP3 has to play somewhere. His top 2 choices were NY and LA, but they are completely out of the running. He knows that, so he obviously had to choose somewhere else that is next best. That news that he wants to be traded to the Clips because of what I just said a day ago will help a good deal to be done IMO and I wouldn't be surprised to see NO get Gordon + Minny's pick.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I would agree. Kaman + Minny's Pick + any of their young guys is a great deal for NO all things considered and is in line with what they should get.

But would you do Gordon or Minny's pick?

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM
The pick.

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
The pick.

Me too.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Pretty big news:

Ric Bucher @RicBucher 13 mins

Clarification: noted LAC would need CP3 long-term to include Minn 1st. Long term is opting in for the 12-13 season. which i'm told he will.

InRareForm
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks like Cp3 will be a clipper... but will Stern OK the trade?

Pelicans78
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM

If not, I will personally shoot him myself.

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 10:53 PM

tee, hee.

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
If not, I will personally shoot him myself.

He won't.

DPG21920
12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
If this happens many will owe me an apology.

Spurs9
12-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I hope it goes thru

djohn2oo8
12-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Stern thinks he is GOd. He will not approve this trade.

ElNono
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
"Basketball reasons"

Giuseppe
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
If this happens many will owe me an apology.

:rolleyesEven if it doesn't happen many will. You've covered your gorgeous ass six ways to Sunday on evey conceivable eventuality.

You fucking pussy, you.

InRareForm
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
If he says yes, Lakers fans will be Irate. lol it's kind of nice seeing the conspiracy theories to rest tho if he does approve.

DJ Mbenga
12-11-2011, 11:04 PM
i think its fair of stern to ask for godon and the first minny pick. but to get the minny pick should be enough. but sterling is going to be in a big money trouble in 2 years when its time to extend their big 3. we arent sure if they will have jordan's contract to deal with as well.