PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney's $10k wager to Perry

Blake
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
.....Yahoo! readers watching the debate were not impressed by Mitt Romney's suggestion that Rick Perry take a $10,000 bet on whether the former Massachusetts governor was really for individual health care mandates. Viewers expressed strong disapproval in the comments of our live blog: "$10,000 is more than some people make in a year," wrote one commenter. When we asked viewers, "Did you like seeing Mitt Romney ask Rick Perry to accept a $10,000 wager?," just 33 percent of the first 1,200 people who responded answered "yes." By the time the question closed at 11 p.m. with just over 25,000 votes, 70 percent of Yahoo! watchers said "no," they did not like the wager. You can watch a clip of the moment above.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/yahoo-readers-rate-debate-10-000-more-people-044851269.html

out of touch elitists going at it :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
out of touch elitists going at it :tu

I wonder what Manny has to say about this

scott
12-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Romney clearly doesn't relate to the middle class with bets like this, but Perry is a pussy for backing down. Real Texans back up their word.

#RomneyBets made for some lulz on twitter last night though. Here was my contribution:

I bet you one my offshore investment accounts you don't really know how to drive a yacht. #RomneyBets

Blake
12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Romney clearly doesn't relate to the middle class with bets like this, but Perry is a pussy for backing down. Real Texans back up their word.

Real bible beaters don't gamble.

DMX7
12-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Romney is not an elitest. He is a job creator. If he were a democrat, then it'd be different.

#RickPerryStrong

boutons_deux
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Romney's Bain took over 11 companies, ripped them off, fired 1000s, left them in debt, 4 went bankrupt.

JoeChalupa
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
What an idiot. Newt is getting to Romney. He needs to stay calm, cool and collected. Newt has already gotten to his nerves.

CosmicCowboy
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm really not sure why it's such a big deal, but whatever. It's not like people don't know Romney has a lot of money.

JoeChalupa
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm really not sure why it's such a big deal, but whatever. It's not like people don't know Romney has a lot of money.

Because it shows he is out of touch with the middle class. Quite simple really.

Blake
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

shocker

CosmicCowboy
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Because it shows he is out of touch with the middle class. Quite simple really.

So does Obama taking a 17 day vacation in Hawaii for Christmas( on top of the 2 week Martha Vineyard one this summer) etc. mean he is out of touch with the middle class? Does that look middle class through your blue glasses? They are both multi-millionaires and not like us. Of course Romney made his money in business and Obama made his in politics but they both are out of touch with the middle class if that is really important to you.

ChumpDumper
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
So does Obama taking a 17 day vacation in Hawaii for Christmas( on top of the 2 week Martha Vineyard one this summer) etc. mean he is out of touch with the middle class? Does that look middle class through your blue glasses? They are both multi-millionaires and not like us. Of course Romney made his money in business and Obama made his in politics but they both are out of touch with the middle class if that is really important to you.Actually the Obamas made most of their dosh from lawyering and book sales.

CosmicCowboy
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Actually the Obamas made most of their dosh from lawyering and book sales.

No politics, no book sales. You know how the game is played.

ChumpDumper
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
No politics, no book sales. You know how the game is played.Well Romney is from a political family so....

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
So does Obama taking a 17 day vacation in Hawaii for Christmas( on top of the 2 week Martha Vineyard one this summer) etc. mean he is out of touch with the middle class? Does that look middle class through your blue glasses? They are both multi-millionaires and not like us. Of course Romney made his money in business and Obama made his in politics but they both are out of touch with the middle class if that is really important to you.

how does one make money through politics?

Yonivore
12-12-2011, 05:36 PM
That's a good question yet, many federal politicians (from both sides of the aisle) manage to leave office millionaires -- even those that weren't so situated before taking office.

ChumpDumper
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
That's a good question yet, many federal politicians (from both sides of the aisle) manage to leave office millionaires -- even those that weren't so situated before taking office.Don't even have to go that high.

Rick Perry.

Yonivore
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
There was that Congressional insider trading scandal that had a half-life of about 5 minutes, a couple of weeks back.

Drachen
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't really see a problem with this. I think it is ridiculous that anyone is making a big deal about it. Is anyone surprised that Romney is rich? I'm not. Also, If I was extremely sure of something, I have said things like "I would bet my next paycheck on (whatever it is)". I can guarantee you that my next paycheck is proportionately much much more to me than 10k is to Mitt Romney.

Geez, talk about a bunch of drama queens.

JoeChalupa
12-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Poise counts!!
MItt used his political experience to make major jack.

boutons_deux
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
It will be hilarious if the entire Repug power structure and almost all of the Repugs in Congress are against Noot, but Willard Gekko implodes into a pile of gaffes, handing the nomination to Noot.

elbamba
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I noticed a lot of people running with this. I think it is odd that no one has a problem with a "historian" comparing the Cold War Soviet Union to Palestine.

It is also strange that republicans don't seem to have a problem for Newt making millions pretending to be a historian and not a lobbyist.

Blake
12-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't really see a problem with this. I think it is ridiculous that anyone is making a big deal about it. Is anyone surprised that Romney is rich? I'm not. Also, If I was extremely sure of something, I have said things like "I would bet my next paycheck on (whatever it is)". I can guarantee you that my next paycheck is proportionately much much more to me than 10k is to Mitt Romney.

Geez, talk about a bunch of drama queens.

If this guy has $10k that he can roll up and smoke in front of the american people, then the dude is clearly as out of touch as Perry is with homosexuality.

Yonivore
12-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I noticed a lot of people running with this. I think it is odd that no one has a problem with a "historian" comparing the Cold War Soviet Union to Palestine.

It is also strange that republicans don't seem to have a problem for Newt making millions pretending to be a historian and not a lobbyist.
To be a lobbyist, you'd have to lobby. Newt claims he never lobbied anyone on behalf of his client. It would be real easy to find out if anyone is curious.

DMC
12-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't want a president who's "in touch" with the middle class. King Ralph was a shitty movie and we don't need the presidential version.

I want a president who's in touch with global leaders, with corporate leaders, with community leaders. He doesn't need to feign concern over joe the plumber. He needs to deal with much larger issues than giving the middle class a couple more televisions.

Drachen
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
If this guy has $10k that he can roll up and smoke in front of the american people, then the dude is clearly as out of touch as Perry is with homosexuality.

He wasn't smoking it, he challenged perry to put up or shut up (perry shut up). This was also a bet he knew he could win (this was borne out by the news cycle today). Does this really surprise you that Mitt has an extra 10k? Its not like he jumped in front of some orphans, rolled up a 10k bill, snorted a line of coke, then lit his wallet on fire. I could see outrage if he went up to a middle class person and bet them 5k then scoffed when that person said "too much." I find it hilarious what some people get their panties in a wad over.

Just for future reference, and to avoid future surprises: every one of these people has more money than (probably) any of us.

Joe the plumber
12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I don't want a president who's "in touch" with the middle class. King Ralph was a shitty movie and we don't need the presidential version.

I want a president who's in touch with global leaders, with corporate leaders, with community leaders. He doesn't need to feign concern over joe the plumber. He needs to deal with much larger issues than giving the middle class a couple more televisions.

That is the problem with leaders today. They've forgotten whom they work for.

boutons_deux
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Willard Gekko's $10K bet was pure "in your faces, 99%" macho grandstanding and adolescent gotcha game-playing.

This group of plutocratic Repug assholes is irrefutable evidence of how morally and socially bankrupt and perverse the Repugs are, and that true of the entire charade of American "democracy".

Blake
12-13-2011, 10:20 AM

He wasn't smoking it, he challenged perry to put up or shut up (perry shut up). This was also a bet he knew he could win (this was borne out by the news cycle today). Does this really surprise you that Mitt has an extra 10k? Its not like he jumped in front of some orphans, rolled up a 10k bill, snorted a line of coke, then lit his wallet on fire. I could see outrage if he went up to a middle class person and bet them 5k then scoffed when that person said "too much." I find it hilarious what some people get their panties in a wad over.

Just for future reference, and to avoid future surprises: every one of these people has more money than (probably) any of us.

If out of touch elitism works for you, great. It obviously doesn't work for a lot of voters.

It was a stupid move for a political salesman to make, and I bet he wishes he could have that one back.