PDA

View Full Version : Mavs looking to clear Brewer/Fernandez from their cap space...

Amuseddaysleeper
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe I should've just posted this in the other threads, but seeing as how bad we need an SF, Corey Brewer could be available.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217406/Mavericks_Trying_To_Clear_Fernandez_Brewer_In_Atte mpt_To_Create_Cap_Space

Not sure if the Mavs would deal with us, but maybe we can swing something.

lefty
12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Meh...

Spurs are done

Neal with it

Lukor
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I sympathize with you for having to bear with RJ,but Brewer is NOT a starter in this league. He can be an energy guy of the bench however...

Amuseddaysleeper
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I sympathize with you for having to bear with RJ,but Brewer is NOT a starter in this league. He can be an energy guy of the bench however...

But for defensive purposes you think he'd be that much worse? I've accepted that we aren't gonna get better offensively at the SF spot when we replace RJ, but getting a 6'9 SF who can D it up would be great for us.

Lukor
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
But for defensive purposes you think he'd be that much worse? I've accepted that we aren't gonna get better offensively at the SF spot when we replace RJ, but getting a 6'9 SF who can D it up would be great for us.

I watched all his games in a Mavs uniform. He has quick hands and good anticipation when it comes to steals but he got lit up by Kobe&co like a Christmas tree one on one because he would either a) bite onevery pump fake or b) get bullied in the post because the guy weighs less than 200lbs. He might be the only NBA player who's actually underweight.

His best position might actually be the 2, but then again he cant dribble to save his life....to be honest i can see why Minny gave him away for free and the Mavs are trying to dump him.
Imo he will never be more than a 10-15mpg hustle guy off the bench.
Sorry to be a downer this is just what i saw from him in a Mavs uniform.

Edit:If you want someone at the 3 just for defensive purposes i'd take a look at DeShawn Stevenson. I'm not kidding, he's like a poor man's Bruce Bowen and should be fairly cheap. The Mavs played him with pretty good results against Kobe,Durant and Wade/Lebron in the playoffs. He doesnt have any offense besides shooting 3's but he hits them at a fair rate and his defensive effort is always there. He was one of our best perimeter defenders.

jermaine
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
He got him s ring by choosing not to come here when most of u bitter beer face bitches wason his dick lady yr.

sefant77
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
The mavs are looking to trade them to team with cap or for trade exceptions...not expirings. So hard to understand?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I watched all his games in a Mavs uniform. He has quick hands and good anticipation when it comes to steals but he got lit up by Kobe&co like a Christmas tree one on one because he would either a) bite onevery pump fake or b) get bullied in the post because the guy weighs less than 200lbs. He might be the only NBA player who's actually underweight.

His best position might actually be the 2, but then again he cant dribble to save his life....to be honest i can see why Minny gave him away for free and the Mavs are trying to dump him.
Imo he will never be more than a 10-15mpg hustle guy off the bench.
Sorry to be a downer this is just what i saw from him in a Mavs uniform.

Edit:If you want someone at the 3 just for defensive purposes i'd take a look at DeShawn Stevenson. I'm not kidding, he's like a poor man's Bruce Bowen and should be fairly cheap. The Mavs played him with pretty good results against Kobe,Durant and Wade/Lebron in the playoffs. He doesnt have any offense besides shooting 3's but he hits them at a fair rate and his defensive effort is always there. He was one of our best perimeter defenders.

Nice post, good to know!

SenorSpur
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Spurs might take a shot at Brew, as pops loves him if Mark will give him to us for a second rounder in 2020. Other than that We dont need another SG.

Somehow I cannot envision a scenario where Cuban would make a trade with the Spurs.

tp2021
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6ojutjh

or

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=75jn6h3

or my personal favorite

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83ppv4g

lol

Fireball
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
no Ian please ...

timtonymanu
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
No to Rudy. I would have liked him back in his rookie year, but since then he's been a drama queen and he's a mental midget in the playoffs. Pass.

Give me Corey Brewer. I would rather have him than Josh Howard or Richard Jefferson. I doubt Cuban would give him to us though since he basically took him away from the Spurs last year.

DesignatedT
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Meh...

Spurs are done

Neal with it

Meh....

Your shtick is getting old.

Obstructed_View
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Re: Brewer, if the idea is to get a vet because they have more NBA experience than Anderson and Leonard, it might actually help to have a guy who actually has NBA experience. Brewer is a veteran in much the same way Mengke Bateer was a veteran.

GSH
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I sympathize with you for having to bear with RJ,but Brewer is NOT a starter in this league.

Okay, so Brewer is not a starter in this league. But could he be a starter for us?

8FOR!3
12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree with that guy, we need to sign Mengke Bateer. I hear he's a free agent.

Mr. Body
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
A little disappointed Brewer never improved his clear deficiencies in all this time. Not putting on weight is one thing, but not learning how to shoot or handle the ball is another.

redskinfan
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Eff Cubes he signed Brew to keep him from joining Spurs so let him eat up cap space with them!

JR3
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Eff Cubes he signed Brew to keep him from joining Spurs so let him eat up cap space with them!
Amen

sananspursfan21
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree with that guy, we need to sign Mengke Bateer. I hear he's a free agent.

shawn bradley available?

TD 21
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I hope Brewer is stuck rotting at the end of the Mavs bench, because that's what he deserves. I don't care that they offered more money, he was a fool for taking the quick cash grab and not seeing the bigger picture. He could have actually played for the Spurs, potentially been the starter this season (with him, they likely would have amnestied Jefferson) and raised his stock by being a key role player on a good team. Which eventually would have led to a more lucrative contract than the one he signed with the Mavs.

Big P
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I hope Brewer is stuck rotting at the end of the Mavs bench, because that's what he deserves. I don't care that they offered more money, he was a fool for taking the quick cash grab and not seeing the bigger picture. He could have actually played for the Spurs, potentially been the starter this season (with him, they likely would have amnestied Jefferson) and raised his stock by being a key role player on a good team. Which eventually would have led to a more lucrative contract than the one he signed with the Mavs.

Or he could have had a career ending injury and left with nothing... I don't fault players for taking the money...it's just that we don't have any to give to the fa's that I don't like.

I would take brewer and rudy on this team, but we have no trade assets, so unless they get bought out, no point in talking about it.

Steve-O-Matic
12-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Umm, he made his pick and it let to him winning a ring. If that makes him a "fool," I'm sure his response to that would be, "Pfft, so be it." Really doubt Brewer has any regrets right now.

ChuckD
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
"Clear" means they want to send them out without taking anything back. We don't have the cap room or exceptions to do that. End of story.

TD 21
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Or he could have had a career ending injury and left with nothing... I don't fault players for taking the money...it's just that we don't have any to give to the fa's that I don't like.

I would take brewer and rudy on this team, but we have no trade assets, so unless they get bought out, no point in talking about it.

$11, 881, 232. That's how much money Brewer has made in his career. I know some of that goes to taxes, his agent and he probably has a few others on his payroll (manager, publicist, financial planner, chef, house keeper, etc.) But still. If he's not already, not set for life, but living comfortably off of that, then he's an idiot.

Not because I'm a Spurs fan, but this was a perfect fit for him. He could have played an Ariza type role on a team with a shot to at least win a couple of rounds. That would have been much more beneficial to his career going forward than a quick cash grab.

Big P
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
$11, 881, 232. That's how much money Brewer has made in his career. I know some of that goes to taxes, his agent and he probably has a few others on his payroll (manager, publicist, financial planner, chef, house keeper, etc.) But still. If he's not already, not set for life, but living comfortably off of that, then he's an idiot.

Not because I'm a Spurs fan, but this was a perfect fit for him. He could have played an Ariza type role on a team with a shot to at least win a couple of rounds. That would have been much more beneficial to his career going forward than a quick cash grab.

So who decides that brewer has made enough money and that he should be set by now?

Brewer did what was best for him at that point...I don't fault him...who's to say that he wouldn't have had a career ending injury last year and would never play ball again, and if he would have taken a minimum salary, how set would he have been? And if he would have played at minimum or less than value money, had a career ending injury, how would that have helped him "in his career going forward"?

I would have liked to see him on our team last year, but WE didn't/don't have the money, that's not his fault.

TD 21
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
So who decides that brewer has made enough money and that he should be set by now?

Brewer did what was best for him at that point...I don't fault him...who's to say that he wouldn't have had a career ending injury last year and would never play ball again, and if he would have taken a minimum salary, how set would he have been? And if he would have played at minimum or less than value money, had a career ending injury, how would that have helped him "in his career going forward"?

I would have liked to see him on our team last year, but WE didn't/don't have the money, that's not his fault.

It's incredible how many people lack basic reading comprehension. I never said he's "made enough money" or that "he should be set by now" (in fact, I specifically said "not set for life, but living comfortably off of that".)

It was a short sighted decision. And now, he'll either be stapled to the Mavs bench, inactive or sent to a team of their choosing and depending on the team, he may again be stapled to the bench.

How was taking more in the short term (if I recall correctly, the Spurs offered either their remaining cap space or their bi-annual exception, so somewhere in the range of $1.8-2.5 million) worth it, when he's already made just under $12 million in his career? He could have come to the Spurs, actually played a role, likely started this season and potentially gotten the full mid-level exception for his next contract. At the rate he's going, he'll be hard pressed to duplicate the contract he's currently on, much less exceed it.

Big P
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
It's incredible how many people lack basic reading comprehension. I never said he's "made enough money" or that "he should be set by now" (in fact, I specifically said "not set for life, but living comfortably off of that".)

It was a short sighted decision. And now, he'll either be stapled to the Mavs bench, inactive or sent to a team of their choosing and depending on the team, he may again be stapled to the bench.

How was taking more in the short term (if I recall correctly, the Spurs offered either their remaining cap space or their bi-annual exception, so somewhere in the range of $1.8-2.5 million) worth it, when he's already made just under $12 million in his career? He could have come to the Spurs, actually played a role, likely started this season and potentially gotten the full mid-level exception for his next contract. At the rate he's going, he'll be hard pressed to duplicate the contract he's currently on, much less exceed it.

My point exactly...there is no guarantee he would have signed a bigger contract..he took the money instead of hoping that playing for the Spurs would have "furthered" his career.....Pop was not going to magically turn him into a super star, he is what he is and his salary reflects that....and it's not really my reading comprehension when you write" If he's not already, not set for life, but living comfortably off of that, then he's an idiot."

TD 21
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
[/B]

My point exactly...there is no guarantee he would have signed a bigger contract..he took the money instead of hoping that playing for the Spurs would have "furthered" his career.....Pop was not going to magically turn him into a super star, he is what he is and his salary reflects that....and it's not really my reading comprehension when you write" If he's not already, not set for life, but living comfortably off of that, then he's an idiot."

Very few things are guaranteed in life. It's not about a guarantee, it's about putting yourself in the best possible situation. The Spurs were clearly a better situation for him, at least out of the two. You'd have to be a biased Mavs fan, shortsighted or an idiot to think otherwise.

The Truth #6
12-12-2011, 09:56 PM
1. Other than RJ and Bonner, I don't think anyone has ever made above market value by playing for the Spurs.

2. The Mavs won a title...how can you say he went to the wrong team?

3. When middling talent go to the Spurs and then get cut - usually their career is over because no one wants to take a chance on them. SA is the end of the road...he's not there yet.

TD 21
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
1. Other than RJ and Bonner, I don't think anyone has ever made above market value by playing for the Spurs.

2. The Mavs won a title...how can you say he went to the wrong team?

3. When middling talent go to the Spurs and then get cut - usually their career is over because no one wants to take a chance on them. SA is the end of the road...he's not there yet.

Because they used to exclusively bring in minimal vets. How many good prospects have the Spurs had that have played a significant role? One that just did, Hill, is due to cash in to the tune of the full MLE next year.

The Mavs won a title . . . with Brewer stapled to the bench. Where's the accomplishment in that?

Middling talent or not, Brewer is still viewed as an intriguing prospect, which is why there was so much interest in him before the Mavs signed him and why they paid him what they did.

ChuckD
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Very few things are guaranteed in life. It's not about a guarantee, it's about putting yourself in the best possible situation. The Spurs were clearly a better situation for him, at least out of the two. You'd have to be a biased Mavs fan, shortsighted or an idiot to think otherwise.

I know this is going to come as a shock to some of you, but there are a LOT of players in the NBA that don't care about winning. They'd like to win, but it's a lot of work and trouble. They're getting paid millions to play ball, win or lose, and they get their summers off. It's sort of like a REALLY good paying teaching gig.

Mel_13
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Keith Bogans, Roger Mason, and Kurt Thomas say hi.

TD 21
12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I know this is going to come as a shock to some of you, but there are a LOT of players in the NBA that don't care about winning. They'd like to win, but it's a lot of work and trouble. They're getting paid millions to play ball, win or lose, and they get their summers off. It's sort of like a REALLY good paying teaching gig.

Apparently you're as shortsighted as Brewer. He could have accomplished both (which is the ultimate goal of any athlete): win and get paid. All he'd have had to have done is take less in the short term to have a better opportunity to make more in the long term.

The way he's going, he'll be lucky to get the mini mid-level on his next contract and instead may have to settle for the veteran's minimum. If he'd have come to the Spurs, he'd have had a realistic shot at getting the full mid-level on his next contract.

Bruno
12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Dice for Rudy and Brewer would be a nice deal for Spurs.

First, Rudy wants to go back in Europe where a big contract is waiting for him in Madrid. Spurs can do like with Spanoulis and buying him out for $0.

Dice has $2.1M guaranteed left on his contract. Brewer has $5.7M left. This trade would be the equivalent of signing Brewer to a $3.6M/2 years contract.

Brewer for $1.8M per year? I think it's a great deal.

slick'81
12-13-2011, 12:10 AM
oh the guy who spurned sa for dallas and now the mavs dont want him hmmmmmmmmmm

Amuseddaysleeper
12-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Dice for Rudy and Brewer would be a nice deal for Spurs.

First, Rudy wants to go back in Europe where a big contract is waiting for him in Madrid. Spurs can do like with Spanoulis and buying him out for $0.

Dice has $2.1M guaranteed left on his contract. Brewer has $5.7M left. This trade would be the equivalent of signing Brewer to a $3.6M/2 years contract.

Brewer for $1.8M per year? I think it's a great deal.

Now the question is, would Cuban be willing to give us Brewer? I doubt it. :(

ChuckD
12-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Now the question is, would Cuban be willing to give us Brewer? I doubt it. :(

I think he might, since we'd be taking the future Brewer years off his cap. I doubt the Spurs want to pay 3M per year for a SG who can neither shoot nor dribble. He's a plus defender, but you'd have a hard time finding minutes for him because he's SO bad on offense. He's kind of a reverse Bonner.

ChuckD
12-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Apparently you're as shortsighted as Brewer. He could have accomplished both (which is the ultimate goal of any athlete): win and get paid. All he'd have had to have done is take less in the short term to have a better opportunity to make more in the long term.

The way he's going, he'll be lucky to get the mini mid-level on his next contract and instead may have to settle for the veteran's minimum. If he'd have come to the Spurs, he'd have had a realistic shot at getting the full mid-level on his next contract.

Did I say I agreed with the position? I'm just telling you how it is. Most players DGAF about winning.

ace3g
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Sources tell ESPN that Mavs are in advanced discussions to deal Rudy Fernandez to Denver Nuggets for future draft considerations

Amuseddaysleeper
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein:

HoopsHype's own @BarriHoopsHype confirms Rudy's Denver-bound. Mavs known to still have high hopes for Brewer but Denver in hunt for him, too

TD 21
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Did I say I agreed with the position? I'm just telling you how it is. Most players DGAF about winning.

Did I say you did? I'm just telling you, I already know how it is. Most players "DGAF" about winning, they just "GAF" about money too and most of the time money comes first. Which is fine. But ideally, they'd like to have their cake and eat it too and Brewer could have done just that, if he'd have been patient.

ChuckD
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Did I say you did? ...

Apparently you're as shortsighted as Brewer. ...

spursnatic
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Denver got the both of them for a future 2016 second rd pick?....WTF???....... We could've given them that....

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Denver got the both of them for a future 2016 second rd pick?....WTF???....... We could've given them that....

Denver made their salaries disappear with part of the Melo trade exception. Spurs couldn't do that.

spursnatic
12-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Denver made their salaries disappear with part of the Melo trade exception. Spurs couldn't do that.

So that means most likely they end up keeping Nene also?....SPURS aint doing shit

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
So that means most likely they end up keeping Nene also?....SPURS aint doing shit

:lol

Spurs NEVER had a chance at Nene.

jesterbobman
12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
No, Spurs didn't have a realistic chance. There was a half baked dream based around a potential S&T which was only possible if Nene took less money after loving spending 2 weeks here over Summer, Denver was willing to do the S&T rather than just keeping him and us amnestying RJ then signing a vet SF. Possible? Yes. Nene could give up 20 million for those 2 weeks, but realistically, he's not going to.

The Truth #6
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Keith Bogans, Roger Mason, and Kurt Thomas say hi.

Touche.