PDA

View Full Version : Has giving Devin Brown desperation minutes ever worked?

Spurminator
06-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Let me prefeace by saying I love Devin's effort and would never hang any loss on him because he does not have a big enough role to be held accountable for anything. If he's getting heavy minutes, it's probably because no one else was playing worth a shit.

That said, has bringing him in early and often ever worked in the Spurs' favor? I know he will put up numbers offensively when given the opportunity, but I wonder if there are other parts of the game that are adversely affected when he sees significant time on the floor. Would it be better to stick to your guns and hope they come around? Why is it that when Devin Brown is brought into the game, the Spurs as a team seem to wave the white flag, even if it's only the second quarter?

Perhaps it's a chicken egg situation... Devin sees minutes only when the Spurs are playing bad enough to lose, so he would naturally have a lot of minutes in losses. But are we giving up opportunities to get back into the game when we mess with the regular rotation?

GoldToe
06-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Can't hurt.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2005, 10:41 PM
For the Spurs, when everyone is playing like shit, I don't think it makes sense to stick with them hoping they'll turn it around.

For some teams (2000-2002 Lakers, these Pistons) it works. For us, it doesn't.

whottt
06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
It's never worked...then Devin puts up good numbers and everyone says he is clutch...

I love Devin's effort too and I wanted him to start earlier in the year...but like this.....but it never carries over to the rest of the team...his play is always outside of the team...

No it never works...it never works in the regular season either. It will someday but it hasn't yet.

He does contribute defensivly, especially in our small ball lineup...but his points never matter. Never. And it seems like it breaks our offense a lot and everyone just ends up watching Devin play around.