PDA

View Full Version : One State Under God..

Nbadan
12-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Can't wait for those license plates featuring the Giant Spagetti monster....

Texas approves controversial license plate featuring crosses
Last week, the board of the state's Department of Motor Vehicles voted to approve the "Calvary Hill" specialty license plate that reads "One State Under God" and features three crosses.

Motorists who choose to buy the plate pay a surcharge, which is divided between the state and the sponsoring group -- in the case of Calvary Hill, a Christian-based youth anti-gang ministry in the east Texas city of Nacogdoches.

http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300x250/featured_image/texas.png

The board, all appointees of Gov. Rick Perry, voted 4 to 3 to approve the plate the same week he unveiled a television ad in Iowa in which he vowed to end President Obama's "attacks on religion."

The Republican presidential hopeful has avoided commenting about the Calvary Hill plate, saying the DMV board acted alone.

more: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/12/texas-calvary-hill-license-plate-crosses.html

I wonder if the pope approved this? WWJT?

LnGrrrR
12-13-2011, 12:48 AM
WH23 was wondering how prevalent atheists assumed Christianity was. I think this is a good example. While it's relatively harmless, as an "outsider" to religion, it is pretty noticeable how many things revolve around religion in the US.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2011, 01:19 AM
its fkn stupid, another stupid ponzi scheme using religion to raise funds cause of state mismanagement

ChumpDumper
12-13-2011, 02:20 AM
I want the bloody coat hanger license plate.

baseline bum
12-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Seriously, a Flying Spaghetti Monster plate would just ensure your car would get defaced by bible thumpers.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Seriously, a Flying Spaghetti Monster plate would just ensure your car would get defaced by bible thumpers.
that's just one example of how crazy bible thumpers think Jesus wants them to act :lol, defacing the property of people who disagree with them. Blowing up abortion clinics is another example of Jesus-like behavior.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
:lmao

Blake
12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
The one state under god line is primed and ready for an atheist lawsuit.

Yonivore
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Cool License plate.

www.myplates.com (http://www.myplates.com)

You can even get one for the Knights of Columbus and, there are several that carry various slogans such as In God We Trust and One Nation Under God, etc...

Yonivore
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
There are already several -- that have been around for awhile -- that carry a similar slogan and I'm not aware of any suit.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Can yoni get a burning cross license plate?

Blake
12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
There are already several -- that have been around for awhile -- that carry a similar slogan and I'm not aware of any suit.

A south carolina lawsuit comes to mind.

scott
12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Even as an atheist, I have no objection to these plates. I'm happy to let people voluntarily fund our DMV with surcharges.

Yonivore
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
A south carolina lawsuit comes to mind.
Okay; not in Texas.

Yonivore
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Even as an atheist, I have no objection to these plates. I'm happy to let people voluntarily fund our DMV with surcharges.
:tu

scott
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
However, I was against the Confederate Flag plates unless they were also going to do other plates of the country's whose flag has flown over TX

Blake
12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Okay; not in Texas.

It was/is a lawsuit claiming the plates are unconstitutional that say "i believe".

I don't know if anyone will spend time or money fighting it in texas, but I think it's primed for it.

Spurminator
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't care enough to make any kind of fuss. Generally, I like to know if I'm driving behind a stupid person.

Spurminator
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Yonivore
12-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't care enough to make any kind of fuss. Generally, I like to know if I'm driving behind a stupid person.
A statement so nice, you said it twice.

And, that's how I feel about people with Obama bumper stickers

Spurminator
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I tend to find all political bumper stickers to be indicative of an artificially inflated understanding of people's give-a-fuck towards the political leanings of the person in the car they're driving near.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
For some reason, I believe you.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Do atheists not believe in the first amendment?

Wild Cobra
12-14-2011, 03:35 AM
However, I was against the Confederate Flag plates unless they were also going to do other plates of the country's whose flag has flown over TX
So you are a bigot against those who like parts of the confederacy. To each his own I guess.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2011, 03:36 AM
A statement so nice, you said it twice.

And, that's how I feel about people with Obama bumper stickers
All their change is probably in their seat cushions.

scott
12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
So you are a bigot against those who like parts of the confederacy. To each his own I guess.

No, moron, I'm a believer in the Equal Protection clause of this little thing called the constitution. Maybe you've heard of it.

Jesus
12-14-2011, 09:32 AM
that's just one example of how crazy bible thumpers think Jesus wants them to act :lol, defacing the property of people who disagree with them. Blowing up abortion clinics is another example of Jesus-like behavior.

You are clueless so stifle yourself.

Blake
12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Do atheists not believe in the first amendment?

what would you think of a plate that was approved to say "One state under Allah?"

Ginobilly
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM

except the Confederate era never really existed because it was never recognized, except for those racist inbred rednecks. The confederate flag is an embarrassment to all those Tejanos who founded and named Texas, and paid for it with their blood. The only flag that Texas should have on it's plates is the one it has now.

Spurminator
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
what would you think of a plate that was approved to say "One state under Allah?"

(Crickets)

Ginobilly
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
(Crickets)

No one would really give a fuck about it, except for dumdshit bible thumpers and atheists from ST.com

Blake
12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
"one state under evolution"

Blake
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
"One state under the Longhorn Network"

Blake
12-14-2011, 02:55 PM
No one would really give a fuck about it, except for dumdshit bible thumpers

lol dumdshit

according to the license plate, we are one bible thumpin state

Wild Cobra
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Are you looking for me to say it should be "57 states under Allah?"

Blake
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Are you looking for me to say it should be "57 states under Allah?"

no, just wanting your opinion of such a specialized license plate

scott
12-14-2011, 10:58 PM
What if everyone who couldn't resist putting their politics on the back of their car just bought bumper stickers?

Yonivore
12-14-2011, 11:07 PM
What if everyone who couldn't resist putting their politics on the back of their car just bought bumper stickers?
Don't they already?

Blake
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM

no committee approval needed

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Don't they already?

What if everyone who couldn't resist putting their politics on the back of their car just bought bumper stickers?Idiot.

Wild Cobra
12-15-2011, 03:39 AM
no, just wanting your opinion of such a specialized license plate
I don't have a problem with people expressing their view. Now I agree the states have a right to censor some language since they are state issued, but not be the judge over content for purposes of political correctness.

DMX7
12-15-2011, 03:43 AM
Now I agree the states have a right to censor some language since they are state issued, but not be the judge over content for purposes of political correctness.

Well... you literally just contradicted yourself in the same sentence.

Wild Cobra
12-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Well... you literally just contradicted yourself in the same sentence.
Did I? Let's just consider vanity plates for the moment.

I would disagree with the state banning a license plate like "ISLAM 1," but I would agree with them banning a plate that was "FUCK U."

So much more can be on the plate design itself.

Blake
12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Did I? Let's just consider vanity plates for the moment.

I would disagree with the state banning a license plate like "ISLAM 1," but I would agree with them banning a plate that was "FUCK U."

So much more can be on the plate design itself.

I didn't ask about a personal plate that has just enough room for ISLAM 1.

What about a plate that a number of Texans will be driving that says "one state under Allah" at the bottom, and with some islamic symbol similar to the calvary crosses of christianity?