PDA

View Full Version : Mavs are stocking up and we are doing nothing

SinBAD
12-13-2011, 01:16 AM
While the Mavs continue to build a stronger team than last year, we are just happy with what we got.How blind is the FO about our problems at C?This is just stupid.Tired of Holt and RC.We need a new owner

tuncaboylu
12-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Mavs lost Butler, Chandler and will lose Barea soon. They've added Odom and Carter. I don't see any improvment in that moves.

Western conference teams didn't improve their front-courts.
Lakers lost Odom without getting nothing at the moment.
Dallas exchanged Chandler with Odom which doesn't make front-court better.
Thunder and Memphis are same as last year.
Portland and Houston are miserable on front-court.
Utah have a crowded front-court with Okur, Jefferson, Millsap and Kanter; but they're not contender.
If Splitter becomes a solid player this year and Howard wouldn't come to West, we won't have trouble in front court except Memphis and Utah.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Damn.. Remember that game where Al Jefferson and Splitter were duking it out? That was nice, Splitter didn't win that battle, but he put up a great fight. That alone is a sign of future success with Tiago.

slick'81
12-13-2011, 01:45 AM
gospursgo

4>0rings
12-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Remember when the Spurs made moves... good times... good times... wait what?

Mark in Austin
12-13-2011, 02:13 AM
How anybody can view the step backwards defensively that Dallas has taken as what the Spurs should be doing is beyond me.

Nobody in the west is worried about the Mavs signing the rotting corpse of Vince Carter. Even when he was in his prime physically he was a weak player mentally. And he's well past his prime at this point.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2011, 02:59 AM
i like our chances this season if splitter gets starter minutes....we just need another big...bonner and blair = is bullshit

Dex
12-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Funny how three years ago, everyone was squawking about how the Spurs needed to add some youth and fresh blood. Now we're staring the youth movement in the face and everyone is squawking that we need to add some grizzled veterans.

I understand the main fear is that Pop is going to trot out the same lineups from last season and the young guys won't get a chance to contribute, but the tide has to turn sometimes. When that happens, those of you who are urging the Spurs to go into all out rebuilding mode will be wondering what the hell you were thinking, because there will be plenty of time to watch that after the Big Three vanish into the sunset.

Kyle Orton
12-13-2011, 03:05 AM
How anybody can view the step backwards defensively that Dallas has taken as what the Spurs should be doing is beyond me.

Nobody in the west is worried about the Mavs signing the rotting corpse of Vince Carter. Even when he was in his prime physically he was a weak player mentally. And he's well past his prime at this point.

:lol so getting Odom for nothing won't improve the team at all? If anything, it'll just give us the free divisional wins vs SA because we know that the shit bag Duncan and his defensive sidekick Bonner will be able to guard versatile forwards in Dirk and Odom

At the very least, its good to know that the Mavs FO is worth a damn and will try to put together a quality team. You and I both know the Spurs can't do shit without a number 1 draft pick :lmao

mystargtr34
12-13-2011, 03:14 AM
:lol so getting Odom for nothing won't improve the team at all? If anything, it'll just give us the free divisional wins vs SA because we know that the shit bag Duncan and his defensive sidekick Bonner will be able to guard versatile forwards in Dirk and Odom

At the very least, its good to know that the Mavs FO is worth a damn and will try to put together a quality team. You and I both know the Spurs can't do shit without a number 1 draft pick :lmao

:lol whats with the new found Spurs hate brosef.

Fergie The Florists
12-13-2011, 03:39 AM
:lol Spurs. That team isn't relevant anymore no matter what move they make. Tj Ford?? Chris Kaman?? Josh Howard? :lol:lol One foot in the grave next one drops this year.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 03:42 AM
Leave poor Spurs fan alone... must be hard watching your teams glory days fly by.
As Mavs fans we have bigger fish to fry, worry about them Lakers and Thunder
in the West and hopefully get back to the Finals.

SenorSpur
12-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Don't look now, but the Mavs just also added LeBron James' momma's boyfriend - Delonte West.

G-Dawgg
12-13-2011, 04:51 AM
..wow, I wish we could sign a good player one day......

MR.SILVER&BLack
12-13-2011, 05:16 AM

So a crying bitch Odom = Chandler, barea, & Butler? Love the moves of adding corpses to the mavs with a season of nothing but back to backs. :lol yep the mavs FO is worth a damn.

BoneyTee
12-13-2011, 07:17 AM
I love how everyone seems to cry about the same things over and over again. We need to sign a big name, the Spurs need to make a Splash, we need to sign a "Big Name" big. Yet every year its the same damn thing. NOBODY GOOD WANTS TO PLAY FOR SMALL MARKET SAN ANTONIO!!!:bang
Problem 2.... We have no $$$MONEY$$$ to spend and if we did THEY STILL WOULDN'T COME. See I am just like you all...Every year I Troll this board, get mad at Sports Center , Fox Sports, ESPN, NBA channel, TNT because they are have all these long reports on other teams and all the big signings and a 2 min report on the Spurs. I wait, and wait, and wait for the BIG SIGNING and we get ":lolRichard Jefferson, Rasho, you remember Carl Herrera:lol ...sigh the list goes on and on. The good names we have signed are at the ends of their career and a shell of there former selves. The Spurs don't have Dallas money, or Dallas TV exposure. Even with the GREATEST PF to ever play:king, and one of the top Centers to ever Play (yes that's DAVID) We will never be able to sign GREAT free agents. NOBODY wants to play in San Antonio. Its been like that the 30 or so years I have been a FAN. I'm just saying:nope its not going to change even after 4 Championships.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

The_Worlds_finest
12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
:lol Spurs. That team isn't relevant anymore no matter what move they make. Tj Ford?? Chris Kaman?? Josh Howard? :lol:lol One foot in the grave next one drops this year.

Haha look a celtics fan is talking shit....i give you guys 3 years until the fans will be wearing paper bags over their faces at games

The_Worlds_finest
12-13-2011, 07:50 AM
U fuck sticks talk shit as if the spurs didnt have the second best record, That doesnt just happen. I let the team do the talking bitches

Dingle Barry
12-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't throw stones in glass houses Florist. Or I'll clip your nuts.

m>s
12-13-2011, 09:03 AM
they signed TJ Ford which was also a nice pickup, a decent replacement for george hill imho. its unfair to say they've been doing NOTHING at all. the C ain't that much of a problem as some of you scros presaged imho, that old shitbag duncan can still do a decent job at C and that n!gga blair will show some improvements the upcoming season.

George Gervin's Afro
12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
The SPurs never do so I am surprised to see some Spurs fans whining about it. Get over it, the Spurs have always been minor players in signing free agents.

The mavs have a year or so to slide back to irrelevence so going older is their plan..... I guess they can back to us when they win 3 more champioships.

lefty
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Stocking up?

They have lost Chandler, and the Kobe killer (Barea)

Fireball
12-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Adding Odom was a nice move ... but the question is does Lamar really want to play there. If yes, then teams are in trouble having to guard Dirk and him.

Adding Vince Carter brings nothing to the team. He is done done ... done! Playing with Jason Kidd again won't change that

Chandler and Barea proved to be the X-Factors in the playoffs ... lets see what else Cuban has up its sleeve to replace them. Must be nice to have money to throw around ...

Trill Clinton
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Don't see why so many people are surprised at the FO standing pat. It's been the Spurs way for years, *kanye shrug*

m>s
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
no feast lasts forever imho, spurs had their own successes with a prime duncan & decent supporting casts winning 4 NBA titles in a time span of 9 years but that time is long gone and the former MVP tim duncan is an old shitbag now. its just the reality, dudes, its not like the spurs would've achieved more with a cuban-style owner during the 4rings/9yr timespan imho

underdawg
12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
not hard to understand - this is all part of the 2012 plan (or is it the 2014 plan?)

tmtcsc
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
OKC is the team to beat in the West at this point. Getting Odom on the cheap was a great move but they've lost Chandler, Butler and Barrea. That's not an improvement.

Memphis lost Battier which was a bigger loss than most people realize. He was a good character guy and a solid defender. He gave Manu fits when he posted him up too.

Brazil
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
OKC is the team to beat in the West at this point.

not it isn't.

Memphis lost Battier which was a bigger loss than most people realize. He was a good character guy and a solid defender. He gave Manu fits when he posted him up too.

they lost battier but won a healthy rudy gay

m>s
12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
OKC may finish atop the west in the regular season but i'd still pick the mavs over OKC in a playoff matchup tbh

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Players/assets traded/allowed to leave/not retained:
Chandler
Barea
Butler
Stevenson (still a FA)
2011 1st round pick
Future 1st round pick

Players assets added:
Odom
Carter
West
Fernandez (Buyout candidate)
Future 2nd pick (from Lakers)

Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

Seventyniner
12-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

That's just what many fans on here want: activity. That and perceived improvement. They would take a bunch of lateral moves over standing pat.

Fireball
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
An important thing for the Mavs last season was staying put with nearly the same team before the trade deadline. Most times Cuban pulled the trigger again and ruined the chemistry for the rest of the season ... so making moves is not always a good thing.

Today is no practice at the Spurs facility, so hopefully RC and Pop locked themselves in a little room and come up with something ... just a little thing ... please

Obstructed_View
12-13-2011, 11:01 AM
If that's a sign of improvement, I'll pass. The Mavericks also ended up with zero draft picks, so let's make sure Cowhigh is mentioned as an addition.

redskinfan
12-13-2011, 11:09 AM
We got younger and better with Leonard, Anderson hopefully Joseph as new blood so I am not too worried right now, Spurs have a very good balance between young and old..

Obstructed_View
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
In addition, it's pretty likely that the Spurs were going to invite some combination of Richards, Lorbek or Bertans to camp. Unfortunately all three are now in the middle of their seasons overseas. That's three big bodies that they just don't have access to. It's pretty likely that not only are the Spurs looking for a big that's relatively cheap, but also one that will only be here for a year. For those of us that don't want Dice back, that's nog really an encouraging sign.

Bill_Brasky
12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I think Odom is a little redundant beside Dirk.....dont like Carter.

cantthinkofanything
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
I think Odom is a little redundant beside Dirk.....dont like Carter.

Redundant of one of the toughest players in the NBA to cover? I'll take an extra of those.

Fireball
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Especially with this tough schedule you need a little redundance ...

Kyle Orton
12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Haywood ain't no Tyson Chandler but he was great His first year in Dallas when he was starting. Mavs are still tryin to get Dalembert which would be a great move imo because he is a chandler esque player. If not, Haywood will start and should be motivated.

And Dallas has a shit load of expiring contracts to go after Dwight via trade or free agency next summer. I'm not worried.

Kyle Orton
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Adding Odom was a nice move ... but the question is does Lamar really want to play there. If yes, then teams are in trouble having to guard Dirk and him.

Adding Vince Carter brings nothing to the team. He is done done ... done! Playing with Jason Kidd again won't change that

Chandler and Barea proved to be the X-Factors in the playoffs ... lets see what else Cuban has up its sleeve to replace them. Must be nice to have money to throw around ...

Barea was great in the playoffs but lets not forget that he is an undersized SG who is terrible defensively. He is a good slasher but it has been proven that he can only play with Dirk. Take out Dirk and look at the numbers he had.

Losing butler sucks but the Mavs won it all without him so he isn't needed. Odom is a definite upgrade. LO requested a trade out of LA and getting sent to the defending champs and a large media market should seem enough to motivate him. Besides, he has said all the right things so far in training camp and media day. We will see

sefant77
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Chandler
Barea
Butler
Stevenson (still a FA)
2011 1st round pick
Future 1st round pick

Players assets added:
Odom
Carter
West

Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

You could count in Brewer and Beaubois as well since they didnt play a role last season. Specially Beaubois, looks like he is finally healthy...

Kyle Orton
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
:lol the Mavs haven't had a promising draftee in forever tbh. Besides Roddy and Josh Howard, I can't think of anyone else that was worth a damn. Harris was good but he was a lottery pick from someone else. Mavs don't care if they lose their late 20s first round pick.

quentin_compson
12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Well, I don't know, but to me it looks like the Mavs might manage to stay competitive this year while making sure they have the chance to be a big player on the FA market next year.

ElNono
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Another bust of an off season, leads to piss poor post season and low draft pick. In another year or so we will be a lotto team.

I thought you said the FO was very active... :rolleyes

jjktkk
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
While the Mavs continue to build a stronger team than last year, we are just happy with what we got.How blind is the FO about our problems at C?This is just stupid.Tired of Holt and RC.We need a new owner

Its threads like this that make me hope Timvp will one day implement a drug testing policy on St

TD 21
12-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Chandler
Barea
Butler
Stevenson (still a FA)
2011 1st round pick
Future 1st round pick

Players assets added:
Odom
Carter
West

Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

A lot of idiots think this is a video game and if a team acquires as many "highly rated" or big name players as possible, then they must be better than a team with lesser names.

This Mavs team is the opposite of why they won the championship last season and one of the main reasons they didn't win a championship until last season. They won because for once they had role definition and chemistry (once Butler and Beaubois were injured). There wasn't player stacked on top of player and big names stapled to the bench.

This is a slapped together team, loaded with sensitive personalities and guys who are used to playing a much bigger role than they will on this team. A potential chemistry disaster in the making.

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Chandler
Barea
Butler
Stevenson (still a FA)
2011 1st round pick
Future 1st round pick
Brewer (traded for nothing)

Players assets added:
Odom
Carter
West
Fernandez (traded for nothing)

Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

And now they've traded Rudy and Brewer to Denver for a future second round draft pick. Yeah, the Mavs sure have stocked up.

mavsfan1000
12-13-2011, 05:58 PM
So we basically traded Fernandez and Brewer for Odom. I think that still benefits us.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
:cry Spurs
RIP

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
So we basically traded Fernandez and Brewer for Odom. I think that still benefits us.

If you're going to piece things together that way, you traded Chandler for Odom.

Seventyniner
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Well, Chandler's gone too. I figured he was the one you replaced with Odom. Fernandez and Brewer were just extra bodies the Mavs didn't need.

But I think Chandler to Odom, Butler to Carter, and Barea to West is a downgrade in each position.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Brewer and Rudy weren't seeing significant playing time this year anyway.
Good move MBT

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
But I think Chandler to Odom, Butler to Carter, and Barea to West is a downgrade in each position.

Of course you do :lol

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Brewer and Rudy weren't seeing significant playing time this year anyway.
Good move MBT

Yeah, who needs depth when you're gonna play 66 games in 120 days and all your key players are on the wrong side of 30. Good move.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, who needs depth when you're gonna play 66 games in 120 days and all your key players are on the wrong side of 30. Good move.

Hmmm.. so losing two guys who weren't going to play even in a 66 game condensed schedule kills our depth??
I bet you also thought TJ Ford was a good signing huh little buddy? :lol

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Hmmm.. so losing two guys who weren't going to play even in a 66 game condensed schedule kills our depth??

So they traded a first round draft pick for a player that they had no use for?

Brilliant.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Brilliant.

Brilliant! retort

Mel_13
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Brilliant! retort

You've lost. Back downstairs with you.

jjktkk
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Why not? As a backup pg, Ford is solid.

DMC
12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
You win a ring, you get looks from good players. You get beaten by the 8th seed in the 1st round with a retiring star in a small market, not so much.

therealtruth
12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
The Spurs should trade owners. At least Cuban is willing to spend. Meanwhile Holt is trying to amnesty RJ to save a few dollars. Also Cuban understands you can never have enough 7 footers.

Sean Cagney
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM

LOL CELTS FAN :wow:lmao:lmao:lmao Your team is old as fukk.

LOL this shoot em up faggot gets on my last nerve at times, dude is just a straight trash talker and never adds a thing to a thread to talk about, just acts like a straight little kid and asshole. Ignore him.

dbestpro
12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
In a short season the teams that change the least may actually be the best as others will struggle to develop their chemistry.

SenorSpur
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Brilliant.

That's the point and one that I think has been lost in this flurry of fantasy basketball trades that the Mavs have conducted.

If it's salary cap space they were trying to preserve, they may as well have just kept their 2011 draft choice Tristan Thompson. It made no sense at all to draft him and send him packing on draft night for a player that never suited up for the franchise.

After all, he'd at least be on a low-end rookie contract for 3 years. This would've given them both cap space, along with a 3-year window of development for him. At least they would've had a young player in the pipeline, who would likely have been ready to contribute in a couple of years.

Pretty short-sighted thinking on behalf of Cuban.

mavs>spurs
12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Chandler
Barea
Butler
Stevenson (still a FA)
2011 1st round pick
Future 1st round pick

Players assets added:
Odom
Carter
West

Activity? Yes.

Stocking up? Hardly.

Damn, some of you b3aners really are foaming salsa at the mouth. Chill the fuck out.

Chandler was a big loss, but Barea leaving is a blessing. He had a good playoff run but that's the first time in 3 years that the fans haven't been cursing him. That guy has been nothing but an absolute momentum killer every time he comes into a game. He isn't capable of defending NBA players at only 5'7 and having t-rex arms and makes poor decisions at times. There were literally many times over the years where we would be up by 20 points and he would check in, then next thing you know it's a ball game again. And why would you include Butler, we won the championship WITHOUT him. We are a better team without him. Why would you chalk him up as a loss? We essentially lost Chandler, and added Lamar Odom, Vince Carter, Delonte West, and maybe potentially Dalembert. We will compete hard next year while you guys won't even be a top 4 seed.

mavs>spurs
12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
That's the point and one that I think has been lost in this flurry of fantasy basketball trades that the Mavs have conducted.

If it's salary cap space they were trying to preserve, they may as well have just kept their 2011 draft choice Tristan Thompson. It made no sense at all to draft him and send him packing on draft night for a player that never suited up for the franchise.

After all, he'd at least be on a low-end rookie contract for 3 years. This would've given them both cap space, along with a 3-year window of development for him. At least they would've had a young player in the pipeline, who would likely have been ready to contribute in a couple of years.

Pretty short-sighted thinking on behalf of Cuban.

Mavs traded for Rudy whenever we were looking rather small/thin at the wings especially SG, not knowing we would later get Carter. That's why they traded for him and got rid of him, there are no certainties in basketball. What the Mavs have done is added a bunch of vets with 1 year deals and expiring contracts while getting rid of any contracts that run past this year, giving us over 25 mil in cap space next year to go after Deron and Dwight once we use the amnesty clause on Brenda or Marion. Absolutely brilliant thinking by Cubes, complete opposite of what you are saying buddy.

Mel_13
12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Mavs traded for Rudy whenever we were looking rather small/thin at the wings especially SG, not knowing we would later get Carter. That's why they traded for him and got rid of him, there are no certainties in basketball. What the Mavs have done is added a bunch of vets with 1 year deals and expiring contracts while getting rid of any contracts that run past this year, giving us over 25 mil in cap space next year to go after Deron and Dwight once we use the amnesty clause on Brenda or Marion. Absolutely brilliant thinking by Cubes, complete opposite of what you are saying buddy.

More like 16M and Rudy's contract doesn't run past this year buddy.

mavs>spurs
12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
More like 16M and Rudy's contract doesn't run past this year buddy.

24 point something after we amnesty Haywood or Marion jackass!

Mel_13
12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
24 point something after we amnesty Haywood or Marion jackass!

You're wrong.

You could show your math instead of resorting to middle school name calling, but you'd fail.

mavs>spurs
12-15-2011, 02:14 AM
You're wrong.

You could show your math instead of resorting to middle school name calling, but you'd fail.

according to hoopshype i'm right and someone else cited the 25 million figure in another thread. grow a dick and get real..all you have to do is add it up and do the math. cap is 57 or 58 mill can't remember right now btw.

Fireball
12-15-2011, 02:15 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dEbbIJ1pO6Gd/x610.jpg

everythings in order in Dallas ...

DarkGinobili
12-15-2011, 03:32 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dEbbIJ1pO6Gd/x610.jpg

everythings in order in Dallas ...

:lol

sefant77
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, Chandler's gone too. I figured he was the one you replaced with Odom. Fernandez and Brewer were just extra bodies the Mavs didn't need.

How is Carter an downgrade to Butler sitting on the bench in a suit?

Barea -> West/Roddy -> Upgrade

Chandler -> Odom is a downgrade at defense but an upgrade at offense

They lost from their playoff rotation:
Chandler
Barea
Stevenson
Peja (negative factor in the finals before he got benched)

They got (new or back from injury)
West
Beaubois
Carter
Odom

And considering the finals where Haywood practically didnt play you can say they lost Chandler/Barea/Stevenson and got Haywood/Odom/Carter/West/Beaubois...

Mel_13
12-15-2011, 08:42 AM
They lost from their playoff rotation:
Chandler

Everything else is rationalization.

Mel_13
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
according to hoopshype i'm right and someone else cited the 25 million figure in another thread. grow a dick and get real..all you have to do is add it up and do the math. cap is 57 or 58 mill can't remember right now btw.

So you can't show the math and you still resort to middle school name-calling. Figures as much since showing the numbers is a one way trip to failure.

And "someone else cited the 25 million figure in another thread" is proof of exactly what?

:lmao