PDA

View Full Version : So I probably shouldn't have done this because it's created a burden I don't need...

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
This morning I went to Circle K to go get coffee (studying). It was pouring outside and I found a dog shivering its ass off. For whatever reason I can see homeless people freezing to death in the rain and not give a shit but when I see stray dogs I beat myself up over what happens to the dog, so I decided to pick the dog up and take it home.

It smells like shit and I want to get rid of it ASAP. I've already put ads up on Craigslist and other sites saying I found the dog, and I'll take it to the Humane Society when it opens, but the Humane Society is so dirt poor these days that they find excuses not to take stray dogs. Any advice as to what I should do/where I should drop it if the owner never responds? It's a nice dog so the pound is my last resort but I have work/finals and can't be sitting around watching it. Idk why I couldn't just ignore it and go home but here I am.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
What an idiot

lefty
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Eat it

Protein is good to optimize exam performance

benefactor
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Dog is a fine meal.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
lefty, I know the pisshole 3rd world country your from probably does eat dog, but in Western Civilization we're civilized people

Viva Los be@ners, thanks for the unfunny pointless comment that you've always been great at!

cantthinkofanything
12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
seriously, if you're not willing to take him yourself and can't find a good home, the pound is your best option. It sucks for the dog but better than him running around and getting fucked with or hit by a car.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
^This is probably true. It also gives the owner 2 days (I think?) to contact the pound and get his/her dog back. How someone is incapable of keeping their dog from getting loose is inconceivable to me, it's a simple task so many people struggle with.

cantthinkofanything
12-13-2011, 11:07 AM
^This is probably true. It also gives the owner 2 days (I think?) to contact the pound and get his/her dog back. How someone is incapable of keeping their dog from getting loose is inconceivable to me, it's a simple task so many people struggle with.

Not the case with all dogs but sometimes it isn't that simple. I got this dog from the pound years ago. She (+/- 6 months at the time) was some kind of collie, chou mix, maybe shephard. Medium size dog and very smart. She dug out of the yard the first week in a spot where the fence had a small gap over the yard. So we started shoving cinder block stones anywhere there were gaps. Then she starting digging small holes under the edge of the stones and yanking them out with her teeth. So we started wedging them in harder and packing them in. At about a year old, she began to jump over the 8 foot fence on the sides that were turned inward. At that pont, we had to buy one of those invisible fences. But because her fur was so thick, the contacts rarely touched her skin. This was at my parents house. When my mom got sick, my wife and I took the dog. We decided that we'd build a bed of river rocks aroudn the whole backyard. Three inches tall extending from the fence to 2 1/2 feet into the yard. Filled with river rocks and flowers and shit. She would end up digging through all of that crap. Got hit by a car one time. Another time she was missing for days. I was distraught. Then there was a mesage on my machine from some pice of shit saying that he had her and didn't know what he was going to do with her because she chased his cat off. That really fucked with me. Then one morning, she showed up at our house covered in dirt and mud. I'm sure there was a giant hole in that dudes yard. Anyway, the solution that FINALLY worked was buying about a hundred pices of rebar and hammering them into the ground from the outside of the fence and angling them inward. After she got to be around 12 or so, she kind of settled down from wanting to escape. She's 18 now and the best dog I've had in my life.
But the point being that it wasn't just as easy as not letting the dog get out.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah. Being an idiot is no laughing matter.

Frenzy
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Just drop it off at the humane society with out asking like a thief in the night. Make it their problem. like mothers dropping off their children at firehouses or IKEA

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Just drop it off at the humane society with out asking like a thief in the night. Make it their problem. like mothers dropping off their children at firehouses or IKEA
That's exactly what I did with the pound (I called first and someone was there but they said I would have to wait till noon). I feel pretty shitty for doing it but I still went above and beyond to help the dog.

lefty
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
lefty, I know the pisshole 3rd world country your from probably does eat dog, but in Western Civilization we're civilized people

Sensitive much ? :lmao

CosmicCowboy
12-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Dude, give the dog a bath!

RGMCSE
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Circle K still exists?

mavs>spurs
12-13-2011, 12:50 PM

not true, my dog is a real n!gga when it comes to escaping. we got a chain link fence and then a 6 foot wooden fence outside of that, with all kinds of shit set up at the gate to keep him from digging out but every time we leave and someone decides it would be cool to shoot guns they get all freaked out and bust out no matter what.

haven't tried a 10ft electric fence with razor wire tho

DeadlyDynasty
12-13-2011, 01:44 PM
This morning I went to Circle K to go get coffee (studying). It was pouring outside and I found a dog shivering its ass off. For whatever reason I can see homeless people freezing to death in the rain and not give a shit but when I see stray dogs I beat myself up over what happens to the dog, so I decided to pick the dog up and take it home.

I've gotta soft spot for animals too. I can't even stomach a movie where pets get killed, but couldn't care less about people. I can watch Schindler's List all day without feeling anything, but when Artex from Neverending Story died I was crushed. Can't explain it...I guess it's b/c animals are innocent, but people are inherently scumbags.

You did the right thing dropping him off at the pound/humane society. You gave the little guy a chance, and it's much better than driving by that same location later and seeing him dead on the side of the road.

Trainwreck2100
12-13-2011, 02:02 PM
go to the rich side of town and dump it at a random place right before school gets out

lefty
12-13-2011, 02:30 PM
but when Artex from Neverending Story died I was crushed. .
:lmao

DeadlyDynasty
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Dead Horses>Dead Jews

cantthinkofanything
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
:lmao

y688upqmRXo

Heartless bastard.

TBH, I didn't see the movie and assumed that Artex was the dog with the big ears that could fly.

bus driver
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
dont like dogs, they need to much attention.....like kids.
drop it off at the diamond shamrock; there will be another sucker coming along to take it home.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Dead Horses>Dead Jews
Agreed. Plus I've said it 1000 times, the Holocaust was worth it. Because of the Holocaust we have our own country in the middle east to bully terrorists with.

DMC
12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Bathe it, feed it, turn it in to the HS.

I have a soft spot for dogs as well.

ChuckD
12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Not the case with all dogs but sometimes it isn't that simple. I got this dog from the pound years ago. She (+/- 6 months at the time) was some kind of collie, chou mix, maybe shephard. Medium size dog and very smart. She dug out of the yard the first week in a spot where the fence had a small gap over the yard. So we started shoving cinder block stones anywhere there were gaps. Then she starting digging small holes under the edge of the stones and yanking them out with her teeth. So we started wedging them in harder and packing them in. At about a year old, she began to jump over the 8 foot fence on the sides that were turned inward. At that pont, we had to buy one of those invisible fences. But because her fur was so thick, the contacts rarely touched her skin. This was at my parents house. When my mom got sick, my wife and I took the dog. We decided that we'd build a bed of river rocks aroudn the whole backyard. Three inches tall extending from the fence to 2 1/2 feet into the yard. Filled with river rocks and flowers and shit. She would end up digging through all of that crap. Got hit by a car one time. Another time she was missing for days. I was distraught. Then there was a mesage on my machine from some pice of shit saying that he had her and didn't know what he was going to do with her because she chased his cat off. That really fucked with me. Then one morning, she showed up at our house covered in dirt and mud. I'm sure there was a giant hole in that dudes yard. Anyway, the solution that FINALLY worked was buying about a hundred pices of rebar and hammering them into the ground from the outside of the fence and angling them inward. After she got to be around 12 or so, she kind of settled down from wanting to escape. She's 18 now and the best dog I've had in my life.
But the point being that it wasn't just as easy as not letting the dog get out.

tl;dr

DMC
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
You could always give it to a marine, he'll get rid of it for you.

cantthinkofanything
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
tl;dr

yeah. you read it.

koriwhat
12-14-2011, 06:28 PM
estrogen is a hell of a drug... your inner bitch has risen.