PDA

View Full Version : Magic in talks of 3-way Howard trade with Nets, Blazers

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Sources: Nets chase Dwight Howard
By Marc Stein and Chad Ford
ESPN.com

The New Jersey Nets have entered into serious talks with the Orlando Magic on a multiteam trade scenario that would bring Dwight Howard to the Nets, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the most active proposal discussed by the teams would send Portland Trail Blazers swingman Gerald Wallace to the Magic along with Nets center Brook Lopez as two of the main pieces Orlando would receive in exchange for Howard.

As part of such a trade, which could be expanded to include a fourth team, sources say Orlando would also shed the long-term contracts of Hedo Turkoglu and Chris Duhon -- both absorbed by New Jersey -- while also potentially receiving future draft considerations.

Other players would have to be added to the deal to make the salary-cap math work, but sources said Portland would receive multiple first-round picks as part of the exchange for surrendering Wallace and facilitating the trade.

Yet it remains to be seen if the Brooklyn-bound Nets can convince the Magic to indeed go through with trading Howard before the season starts. Earlier this week, one source familiar with the Magic's thinking insisted to ESPN.com that they were not yet prepared to trade Howard away, clinging to the hope that he can be talked into staying.

Howard himself is known for changing his views on the matter on a near-daily basis, torn by his desire to move to a more glamorous market like Brooklyn or Los Angeles and the prospect of staying with the team that drafted him and delivering the championship to Orlando that Shaquille O'Neal could not.

One source said that the Nets were moving "aggressively" in their pursuit of Howard after Nene -- New Jersey's top free-agent target -- agreed to terms Tuesday night on a five-year, $67 million deal to return to the Denver Nuggets.

The Nets also know they likely have to fend off the Lakers, who have long been linked with a possible trade for Howard with an offer built around young center Andrew Bynum. But there also is a sense around the league that the Lakers' re-emergence in the Chris Paul sweepstakes, as reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com, could be a signal that L.A. believes that the Nets are in the lead for Howard.

It's believed that a deal for Howard ultimately will force the Nets to not only release forward Travis Outlaw through the amnesty clause in the league's new collective bargaining agreement but also to renounce the rights to free-agent power forward Kris Humphries.

The question remains: How fast is Orlando willing to move when it comes to surrendering Howard, who can become a free agent in July 2012 along with Paul and Nets star guard Deron Williams.

New Magic CEO Alex Martins met with Howard when he arrived at Amway Center on Monday morning. Afterward Howard sounded like he'd softened on the possibility of staying in Orlando as long as there are some changes.

"I love this city, there is no place I'd rather be but Orlando," Howard said. "I just want to make sure we have the right things here so we can win a championship. I'm all about change. If you're willing to change and you're willing to do what it takes to win then, you know, you got me."

Martins, promoted to CEO just last week after the surprising resignation of Bob Vander Weide, has publicly insisted that the franchise believes it can keep Howard and convince him to extend his contract. But the Nets have been targeting Howard for months, convinced that re-signing Williams can be assured next summer if they can complete an in-season deal for Howard.

"I'm an optimist," Martins said Monday. "I am confident that we can work with Dwight and convince him to stay here long term."

Days earlier, Orlando announced that it would allow Howard to speak with the Lakers, Nets and Dallas Mavericks about a trade. On Tuesday, ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported that the Lakers, Nets, Mavericks and Magic are the only four teams that Howard is willing to commit to long term.

Howard publicly announced Saturday that he'd indeed asked to be traded. Then on Sunday night he followed up with an explanation that his relationship with Magic general manager Otis Smith had eroded, in part, because Smith had not acquired players Howard had suggested over the last several years.

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
what does the blazers get out of this deal? seems stupid man

InRareForm
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
this shit gotta end. Season starts in 11 days lol

Giuseppe
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Howard himself is known for changing his views on the matter on a near-daily basis, torn by his desire to move to a more glamorous market like Brooklyn

:lol

Destro
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I like Howard to the Nets. It gives him a chance to reboot a franchise with a winning legacy and AJ knows how to run a team with a dominant center. This can be a great fit. I hope he ends up there

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
:lol

Hey now Cully, I was Brooklyn born, SO Cali raised ...so tread lightly. :ihit

But even so I admit though Brooklyn is being renovated, it would need a helluva a lot more than Jay-Z, the Nets, and some Diddy led investment projects to catch Los Angeles or Manhattan.

tlongII
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
what does the blazers get out of this deal? seems stupid man

What I'm hearing is that this could net us multiple 1st round draft picks and also enable us to sign Jamal Crawford and Carl Landry. The 2012 draft is supposed to be very deep so it makes sense. It's also a chance to fuck the Lakers. Any chance we get to fuck the Lakers we take. :lol

Giuseppe
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
It's also a chance to fuck the Lakers. Any chance we get to fuck the Lakers we take. :lol

Beats the snot outta trying to make the playoffs and win the last game you play.

Lot less responsibility.

tlongII
12-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Beats the snot outta trying to make the playoffs and win the last game you play.

Lot less responsibility.

If this goes through we'll win more playoff games than the Lakers this season. GuaranSheed!

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
LOL out Oden (well was he ever in?) in Landry ...

Out Roy in Jamal Crawford ...

Blazers future so bright, they gotta wear shades!!!

all that young talent and what do you have to show for it T-long? Broken promises, shattered dreams and knees.

I still have my 2009 and 2010 Championship DVD's and T-shirts ...you have the 77 Blazers title on Betamax and the victory song on 8-track .... LOL

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Playoff wins ... high standards you guys have up there in Portland, you guys might throw a parade for a Divison title or a Western conference appearance. Heck, Oden plays 50 games ever he might get a statue at the Rose Garden!!!

Fabbs
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
If this goes through we'll win more playoff games than the Lakers this season. GuaranSheed!
tlongII
Ownin the Autistic Laker yet again.

"Portland would receive multiple first-round picks as part of the exchange for surrendering Wallace and facilitating the trade."

Yep. With the Oden, Roy and potentially Aldrige misfortunes it's a prudent move.

tlongII
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
It's all about the future Killa. We have one. You don't.

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
It's all about the future Killa. We have one. You don't.

You know what the problem is with building for the future, tlong? It NEVER comes ...at least not in Portland.

Yes, you guys have young assets ...I will take the last 2 titles over the "brighter future" ...

Hey t-long how are those Hollinger "future" power rankings looking? :lol

tlongII
12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Live in the past Killa. Live in the past. You'll be happier.

Giuseppe
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
^
- "The past is never over. It isn't even past."

- Nathaniel Hawthorne

DeadlyDynasty
12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
crofl tlong...you and I both know the Blazers would fuck-up all those draft picks if that trade went down. Sam Bowie? Gregory?

In fact you can argue that w/ Portland's track record this trade will ensure they'll be a fringe playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Giuseppe
12-14-2011, 01:59 PM
w/ Portland's track record this trade will ensure they'll be a fringe playoff team for the foreseeable future.

It's just true.

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
trading wallace for trash and picks...

crawford is a huge downgrade from wallace, dude is only a volume scorer who plays no defense

pass1st
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Lol, Blazers-Lakers, 1 way rivalry.

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Blazers like I said when everyone was fearing them come playoff-time ...even some of Lakers brethren ... we OWN the Blazers. The BLazers are that little brother 4 years younger that cant wait for the day to beat their older sibling ...but it NEVER happens.

Lakers = Dominique Wilkins, Chuck Person,
Blazers = Gerald Wilkins and Wesley Person

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Thing that's funny when I worked for WAMU ... plenty of Sonics fans and Blazers fans called us rivals ...I can't find ONe Laker fan that feels the same way.

It's like saying UNC and UNC greensboro are rivals in basketball ...

pass1st
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Blazers haven't done shit to become LAL rivals

1. Celtics
2. Spurs
3. Pistons
4. Suns
5. Kings

Blazers are around the 9 spot.

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Sixers are bigger rivals.

We met in the finals in 80, 82, 83 and 2001 ...plus they hate Kobe there ... (not that I care, but some Laker/Kobe fans do ...

And the Jazz as well ...we played them 3 straight years in the playoffs and the games in the late 80's late 90's were battles ...

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Lol, Blazers-Lakers, 1 way rivalry.

LOL

Lakers vs. Blazers All-time (http://www.lakersuniverse.com/headtohead/playoffs_lakers_trail_blazers.htm)

Lakers 9 wins, Blazers 2 some rivalry ...

that is like we claiming a rivalry with Celts back in 1984 ...:lol

tlongII
12-14-2011, 03:10 PM
We don't care if you think of us as rivals or not. We'll just continue to loathe you and find ways to screw you over. :toast

rayjayjohnson
12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Blazers haven't done shit to become LAL rivals

1. Celtics
2. Spurs
3. Pistons
4. Suns
5. Kings

Blazers are around the 9 spot.

Agreed. Denver has developed more of a rivalry than the blazers.

That sunday afternoon game last season at Staples, damn everyone was fired up.

Sportcamper
12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Tlong with the goods…Great insults…Pictures of his favorite Asian Hookers…Hands down my favorite poster…:lol

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
We don't care if you think of us as rivals or not. We'll just continue to loathe you and find ways to screw you over. :toast

It's all good, t-long you guys do have great fans ...

Lilpenny and any other Blazer fans on here it's all love ...:toast

pass1st
12-14-2011, 03:38 PM

You will continue to be insignificant to us until you do something noteworthy against LAL

Looks like you guys failed to facilitate Nets getting Dwight :toast

<insert knee jokes here>

baseline bum
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
You will continue to be insignificant to us until you do something noteworthy against LAL

Looks like you guys failed to facilitate Nets getting Dwight :toast

<insert knee jokes here>

It's only been 34 years since they swept your asses.

tlongII
12-14-2011, 06:09 PM
It's only been 34 years since they swept your asses.

We swept them in 92 during the Rodney King riots too.

Baseline
12-14-2011, 06:20 PM
All joking aside, the Lakers are screwed if they don't get Howard. Do Laker fans realize this? I think Bryant is the only one who does.

They gave away Lamar, which makes no sense whatsoever unless they get Howard. Even if they get Chris Paul, it won't matter. They'll be good, but not great.

It was their LENGTH that separated them from the rest. So if they trade both Odom and Bynum, or both Odom and Gasol, they're just another team in terms of length. They're left with one big guy, not two or three.

I love it. These morons actually think Bryant is good enough to get them past a stupid move like trading Odom. But see, Bryant realizes how little he has left in the tank. That's why he was so upset about Lamar being traded.

The Lakers are done.

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Nope. Learn your history ..or click on my link. You kicked our ass, (for once) but we did not get the "skunker" ...

pass1st
12-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Lol, one way rivalry.

Killakobe81
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Look Lamar was valuable, and with Bynum's injury history even more so. But Lamar Odom will NOT be the reason why we fail to win a title. We had him last year, and got swept.

If we don't win it means the Kobe and Pau primarily were not good enough. They don't get the lion's share of the glory for the repeat (along with PJ) and the lamb's portion of the blame when we lose ... star driven league.

I know you trying to troll Kobe fans, but I have no problem with holding Pau and Kobe accountable if we struggle this year. Are we blaming the heat's loss inthe Finals on Mike Miller, chalmers or even Bosh? No. Lebron gets teh blame last year if they win this year he should get a big share of the praise. That is how it works ...

slick'81
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
The Magic have informed teams that Dwight Howard is no longer on the trade market.

This is the second instance of this report being run tonight, but this time with news that it was ownership that killed the deal with Portland. This jives with what Nets reporter Stefan Bondy said earlier, which was the GM Otis Smith had been cut off from the chain of command, at least as it pertained to a potential Howard trade. This also wreaks of Stern and his bandit owners trying to show star players who is boss. Howard, for his part, is not happy.

Dec 14 - 9:10 PM

Hooks
12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
The Magic have informed teams that Dwight Howard is no longer on the trade market.

This is the second instance of this report being run tonight, but this time with news that it was ownership that killed the deal with Portland. This jives with what Nets reporter Stefan Bondy said earlier, which was the GM Otis Smith had been cut off from the chain of command, at least as it pertained to a potential Howard trade. This also wreaks of Stern and his bandit owners trying to show star players who is boss. Howard, for his part, is not happy.

RIP Lakers :rollin

Giuseppe
12-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Suits me. I was never in that line.

tlongII
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Nope. Learn your history ..or click on my link. You kicked our ass, (for once) but we did not get the "skunker" ...

Yah you're right. I forgot you guys got game 3 in OT. We beat you so bad in Vegas it should have counted as a sweep though. :lol