PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's...

Yonivore
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
...Person of the Year!

The Protester (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101745_2102132,00.html)

http://thejamminjabber.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/cop-car-crap.jpg?w=500

I agree with Ed Morrissey (http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/14/times-poty-the-protester/) on this one.

In 2009, Time had the same opportunity to pick “the protester” when the protests were the Tea Party and Iran’s Green Revolution, which followed from Ukraine’s Orange Revolution, and so on. Who did they pick? Ben Bernanke. When the Tea Party movement actually delivered results at the ballot box in 2010 in a historic midterm drubbing of Barack Obama’s Democrats — they lost 68 seats, the worst outing since 1938 — they could have hailed The Protester then, too. Who did they pick? Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.

So they’re a little late to “the protester” story in terms of real impact. And what impact has “the protester” actually had in 2011? Has the Occupy Movement, such as it is, had any kind of ground-breaking impact on politics in the way the Tea Party did in 2010 and still does in this cycle? Not even close...

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Thats Time for you. They also chose Hitler as man of the year in 1938 and Stalin as man of the year in 1939.

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 05:41 PM
No one said he had to be a good man.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 05:44 PM
No one said he had to be a good man.

Clearly

JoeChalupa
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
He explained the reasoning why on Morning Joe. So stop protesting.

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 05:49 PM
ClearlySo?

What was your choice instead of Hitler that year?

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Find someone else to argue with. go kick the dog or something.

I have no intention of debating the 1938 man of the year with you.

DMX7
12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
...Person of the Year!

The Protester (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101745_2102132,00.html)

I agree with Ed Morrissey (http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/14/times-poty-the-protester/) on this one.

Oh, I get it... :sleep

JoeChalupa
12-14-2011, 05:57 PM
It is not a popularity contest either.

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Find someone else to argue with. go kick the dog or something.

I have no intention of debating the 1938 man of the year with you.You shouldn't have bitched about the choice of man of the year in 1938 then.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
You shouldn't have bitched about the choice of man of the year in 1938 then.

I used it as an example of other whacked times choices.

bitch

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
I used it as an example of other whacked times choices.

bitchWhy was it "whacked"?

Again, that implies you have a better choice.

I don't expect you to actually have one.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Why was it "whacked"?

Again, that implies you have a better choice.

I don't expect you to actually have one.

Sure Chump...invading Austria, declaring that Jews must register with the state, starting the first concentration camp, and passing laws to confiscate art and personal property certainly earned Adolph Hitler the indisputable right to be times "Man of the Year". you win.

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Sure Chump...invading Austria, declaring that Jews must register with the state, starting the first concentration camp, and passing laws to confiscate art and personal property certainly earned Adolph Hitler the indisputable right to be times "Man of the Year". you win.Exactly!

Not my problem you don't understand the concept.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Exactly!

Not my problem you don't understand the concept.

So you agree that protesters=Hitler? :p:

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
So you agree that protesters=Hitler? :p:Inasmuch as Person of the Year consideration goes.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Inasmuch as Person of the Year consideration goes.

LOL, yeah I wasn't the OP and I've never lost any sleep over Times selection of POTY...:toast

LnGrrrR
12-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Sure Chump...invading Austria, declaring that Jews must register with the state, starting the first concentration camp, and passing laws to confiscate art and personal property certainly earned Adolph Hitler the indisputable right to be times "Man of the Year". you win.

I think you don't understand the point of Time's "Man of the Year". It's the person who had the most influence, affected the most change, etc etc, for better or worse.

Yonivore
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I think you don't understand the point of Time's "Man of the Year". It's the person who had the most influence, affected the most change, etc etc, for better or worse.
So, tell me...what influence did this man exert?

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 07:40 PM

I understand it. Again, I wasn't the OP. I just happened to already know that Hitler and Stalin had previously been MOTY selections and threw it out there for discussion. As far as fucked up occurrences maybe Arab Spring and OWS qualify for POTY even if by definition it's not a P. :toast

LnGrrrR
12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
So, tell me...what influence did this man exert?

Enough to get a picture spread throughout the internet... :lol

Seriously though, I think it's a rather weak choice myself. But I'm not sure who would be a stronger pick. Obama is rather obvious, and won't generate sales. A celebrity feels somewhat weak.

If I had to pick a Man of the Year, I would've gone with Steve Jobs.

LnGrrrR
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I understand it. Again, I wasn't the OP. I just happened to already know that Hitler and Stalin had previously been MOTY selections and threw it out there for discussion. As far as fucked up occurrences maybe Arab Spring and OWS qualify for POTY even if by definition it's not a P. :toast

Yeah, I think putting "Protestor" is a copout. They should have at least humanized it by putting the Egyptian protestors front and center.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Actually not a bad choice to be honest...not OWS which are a bunch of fucking clowns, but basically nameless protestors DID overthrow Egypt, Libya, and it looks like Syria is about to domino..

Spurminator
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, all protestors are public defecators. Yonivore continuing to be a good little tool.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Enough to get a picture spread throughout the internet... :lol

Seriously though, I think it's a rather weak choice myself. But I'm not sure who would be a stronger pick. Obama is rather obvious, and won't generate sales. A celebrity feels somewhat weak.

If I had to pick a Man of the Year, I would've gone with Steve Jobs.

If Apple really does have TV "figured out" like Jobs said then I would agree with you on that one...that is going to be a whole new tipping point in technology...

boutons_deux
12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
a guy shitting on a police car represents OWS like Phelps church represents Christians.

boutons_deux
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
tea baggers were an establishment(conservative) movement financed by Kock Bros, run by Repug operatives.

A totally astro turf bogus movement that intentionally didn't attack the real culprits of the Banksters' Great Depression, since that would have been attacking tea bagger backers. The whole point of tea baggers was to go after VRWC nemesis, the govt, and distract from the real mofo's, the UCA, the MIC, the financial sector.

CosmicCowboy
12-14-2011, 08:17 PM
tea baggers were an establishment(conservative) movement financed by Kock Bros, run by Repug operatives.

A totally astro turf bogus movement that intentionally didn't attack the real culprits of the Banksters' Great Depression, since that would have been attack tea bagger backers.

GTF back in your hole Egor....

cheguevara
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
LOL idiots, this has not much to do with Occupy baggers but a lot with Arab Spring. :downspin:

ChumpDumper
12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
LOL idiots, this has not much to do with Occupy baggers but a lot with Arab Spring. :downspin:Shut up!

This woman is from the Time article is obviously occupying Wall Street and shitting on NYPD cars as we speak!

http://img.timeinc.net/time/2011/personoftheyear/images/mag_content/poy_lede_1226.jpg

rofl yoni is a fucking moron.

scott
12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Actually not a bad choice to be honest...not OWS which are a bunch of fucking clowns, but basically nameless protestors DID overthrow Egypt, Libya, and it looks like Syria is about to domino..

Glad there is a conservative who actually gets what Time was trying say. :toast

Yonivore
12-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Yes, all protestors are public defecators. Yonivore continuing to be a good little tool.
Then there were the rapists, drug abusers, vandals, etc...

The Occupy Movement is probably the most ineffectual and disgusting mass of humanity ever assembled.

The man in the picture was engaged in an occupy movement.

Yonivore
12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
LOL idiots, this has not much to do with Occupy baggers but a lot with Arab Spring. :downspin:
Actually they beclown the Arab Spring by putting the Occupy cretins on equal footing, starting about page 5.

Yonivore
12-15-2011, 12:02 AM
And, quite frankly, I question the judgement of an Arab Spring that appears to be trading Dictators who attempted to play well in the international sand box with Islamic Extremism that wants to crap in the international sand box.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 12:04 AM
And, quite frankly, I question the judgement of an Arab Spring that appears to be trading Dictators who attempted to play well in the international sand box with Islamic Extremism that wants to crap in the international sand box.

As has been pointed out previously, no one said that POTW had to be good or a positive force...simply the most influential of the year for better or worse...

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
And, quite frankly, I question the judgement of an Arab Spring that appears to be trading Dictators who attempted to play well in the international sand box with Islamic Extremism that wants to crap in the international sand box.yoni loves his dictators.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 12:28 AM
yoni loves his dictators.

And Chump doesn't have positions, he just likes to snipe and argue.

Get back to us in 3 or 4 years and lets see if the world is really a better place because they are gone.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Get back to us in 3 or 4 years and lets see if the world is really a better place because they are gone.CC loves his dictators.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:30 AM
As has been pointed out previously, no one said that POTW had to be good or a positive force...simply the most influential of the year for better or worse...Is this your position now?

It looks very familiar.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Get back to us in 3 or 4 years and lets see if the world is really a better place because they are gone.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:34 AM
You've already adopted one of my positions in this thread.

More to come, I'm sure.

Yonivore
12-15-2011, 12:35 AM
As has been pointed out previously, no one said that POTW had to be good or a positive force...simply the most influential of the year for better or worse...
Then I would have handed that honor to Navy Seal Team 6.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Then I would have handed that honor to Navy Seal Team 6.Not even close.

A nice opportunity to wave your flag and avoid giving Obama any credit, but Egypt alone trumps it.

This is my position.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Not even close.

A nice opportunity to wave your flag and avoid giving Obama any credit, but Egypt alone trumps it.

Damn Chump...just suck his dick and get it over with. We know you want it.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Damn Chump...just suck his dick and get it over with. We know you want it.You want to suck the dicks of several mideast dictators. Get it over with. We all know you want it.

Even the dead ones.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 12:51 AM
You want to suck the dicks of several mideast dictators. Get it over with. We all know you want it.

Even the dead ones.

LOL

I just never realized your manlove for Obama until recently...

Don't give up hope...I suspect Michelle wears the strap on in the relationship and he's used to catching and not pitching...

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 12:53 AM
LOL

I just never realized your manlove for Obama until recently...Nah, I was describing yoni's MO RE: Seal Team 6. Get your head out of the moonie publications for a second.

Don't give up hope...I suspect Michelle wears the strap on in the relationship and he's used to catching and not pitching...I suspect you spend a lot of time thinking about such things.

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Nah, I was describing yoni's MO RE: Seal Team 6. Get your head out of the moonie publications for a second.

I suspect you spend a lot of time thinking about such things.

LOL

Apparently you do too...your avatar looks like you are getting ready for the money shot...

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 01:04 AM
LOL

Apparently you do too...your avatar looks like you are getting ready for the money shot...Your interpretation tells more about you than me.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Not coincidentally, WC thought the same thing.

ElNono
12-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Yoni, you should write to Time Magazine and tell them how you really feel...

ChumpDumper
12-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Yoni, you should write to Time Magazine and tell them how you really feel...Apparently it makes self-styled conservatives think of naked men and gay sex.

Spurminator
12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
The Occupy Movement is probably the most ineffectual and disgusting mass of humanity ever assembled.

U mad?

The man in the picture was engaged in an occupy movement.

Was that picture in Time Magazine?

Oh, Gee!!
12-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I woulda been cool with Steve Jobs but have no problem with Time's choice. If you think about it, there have been a ton of protests this year all around the world.

cheguevara
12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
IMO it's stupid. Why chose a group of ppl. Why not pick an individual?

they could have easily named "the homo sapiens" as person of the year :rolleyes

Oh, Gee!!
12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
IMO it's stupid. Why chose a group of ppl. Why not pick an individual?

they could have easily named "the homo sapiens" as person of the year :rolleyes

technically, "the protester" refers to one person. It's a nameless, faceless individual but an individual nonetheless.