PDA

View Full Version : Spurs should amnesty RJ and wait for the trade deadline

buttsR4rebounding
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Since the Spurs have crapped out on any SF or Big acquistion thusfar they should amensty RJ and wait for the trade deadline. The Spurs have plenty of talent to be extremely competitive until then. They can play a rotation of Parker/Ford, Manu/Neal, Anderson/Leonard with Green filling in some spot minutes. The real steals seem to come at the trade deadline after teams have given up on the season. Unfortunately, the condensed schedule brings a degree of risk to this, but since they don't have the luxury of amnestying him later they would need to do it now to have the flexibility to make it work. I have not studied the new CBA. For those who have does this make sense?

Big P
12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Even if we did amnesty rj, we would still not be under the cap...and wait till the trade deadline for what? If nobody want's any of our players now, what makes you think they will want them at the deadline?

Bill_Brasky
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Id rather not amnesty him, hope he beasts in the first couple of weeks, and get a trade done while he has value.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Id rather not amnesty him, hope he beasts in the first couple of weeks, and get a trade done while he has value.

This, though I'm not saying moving him is likely.

What everyone who keeps tossing around the word amnesty so casually seems to be forgetting is that if we amnesty RJ we will still have to pay him. Ultimately Holt, the FO, and the whole franchise would rather be paying him to play for us than someone else.

angelbelow
12-16-2011, 12:53 AM
If theres nothing we can get in return, I'd rather keep him. He is at the very least a practice body or an injury fodder.

If we amnesty him we still have to pay him, might as well keep him. Say what you want about his rapidly deteriorating basketball skills but hes been a professional here so I doubt he fucks up the locker room chemistry.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Doesn't really make sense at this point.

There's a reason it's available for two years.

underdawg
12-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Doesn't really make sense at this point.

There's a reason it's available for two years.

If anything, they should do it to prove a point - the Spurs will not tolerate mediocrity just like:
-George Hill
-Ian Mahinmi
-Beno Udrih
-Luis Scola (didn't play for the Spurs, but his PT request tactics were definitely mediocre)
-Tiago Splitter (not yet, but it's coming)
-and others like SJax, Nazr, Elson, Barry, Bowen, etc.

How sad is it that in reality, keeping Jefferson is the best option the Spurs have? Wait until next year - why? Do the Spurs have a time machine to go get young Timmy, Tony and Manu?

Think about that - the player that shriveled up like cotton candy does when your drop water on it is the absolute best the Spurs FO can do. Put him next to his other comrade Bonner (who also epitomizes shrinkage) and you get a clear picture of the Spurs FO - good effort, but without luck they're up a creek without a paddle. Shake it up fellas - unload the limp, the ginger and the short fat dude.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-16-2011, 02:54 AM
What does amnestying RJ have to do with waiting for the trade deadline? What would the FO be waiting for?

ChumpDumper
12-16-2011, 03:53 AM
If anything, they should do it to prove a point - the Spurs will not tolerate mediocrityFor the money, it's easy to tolerate for now.

underdawg
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
For the money, it's easy to tolerate for now.

easy? I wouldn't guess it's easy. Besides, Holt's making a killing right now with the Eagleford Shale - he needs to purge and splurge.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
easy? I wouldn't guess it's easy.Easier than paying him not to play basketball for him.

He gave himself an extra year to trade try and trade him. Seems unlikely that he would throw that opportunity away.

Fabbs
12-16-2011, 12:48 PM
:wow you're making sense!

Altho RJ "beasting" is unlikely at this point.

Spurs9
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
RJ will have a good year. There is nothing left at this point anyway. Why would they amnesty a player who they still have to pay and not have playing for the team?