PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers sign free agent Craig Smith during active Thursday

tlongII
12-16-2011, 12:32 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/12/free_agent_forward_craig_smith.html

The Trail Blazers flurry of Thursday activity did not end with the release of Brandon Roy and free agent signing of Jamal Crawford.

Craig Smith, a 6-foot-7, 265-pound free agent forward, announced on twitter that he was poised to become a Blazer, and a team source later confirmed the signing to The Oregonian.

“Portland here I come ...” Smith wrote on Twitter, before telling Blazers center and one-time teammate Marcus Camby that he was “on my way...”

Details of Smith's contract are unknown, but it will feature a guarantee for this season. That means the Blazers will have to release a player before the start of the regular season.

Earl Barron is the most likely candidate to be released, although both he and Chris Johnson feature non-guaranteed contracts.

“The Rhino,” as smith is nicknamed, will bring a bruiser’s mentality and add size and depth to the Blazers’ front court.

The 28 year-old from Boston College has played five seasons for the Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Clippers. His most successful statistical season came in 2008-09, when Smith averaged 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds per game with the Timberwolves.

Smith has played the last two seasons with the Clippers, averaging 5.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in 48 appearances last season.

Smith's signing comes the same day the Blazers signed free agent guard Jamal Crawford to a two-year contract and used an "amnesty clause" to waive Brandon Roy.

This is a much better than it appears signing. Craig Smith is a banger and will add serviceable depth to our frontcourt. We're going to be very good! :smokin

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 12:41 AM
I thought he was "The Animal?"

DMC
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM
I thought he was "The Animal?"
Bend over, I'll show you the fuckin' animal.