PDA

View Full Version : RJ Amnesty Decision By Midnight

Man Mountain
12-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Back on Dec. 7, a report hit the twitterverse that the Spurs had decided to use the amnesty clause to waive Richard Jefferson.

That was nine days ago. And with the deadline to use the amnesty clause (for this offseason) coming at midnight Friday, Jefferson is still a Spur.

Will the Spurs use the amnesty clause on RJ? I think they will but will wait till 11:59 lol

yavozerb
12-16-2011, 09:54 AM
No reason too..Spurs will put the amnesty in there back pocket and use it next season in my opinion. If they do use it, its because Leonard is the real deal.

Fireball
12-16-2011, 09:56 AM
No amnesty ...

benefactor
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Pretty sure he's going to be staying with the team if they have waited this long. He's been doing interviews and taking pictures at media day, so that's a decent indicator that he's with them for the season.

BlackSwordsMan
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
fuck this season another wasted year
thank you duncan for your 4 championships

Mel_13
12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
RJ will start at SF on opening night.

yavozerb
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Pretty sure he's going to be staying with the team if they have waited this long. He's been doing interviews and taking pictures at media day, so that's a decent indicator that he's with them for the season.

Somebody would have to offer a trade for RJ to be gone this season in my opinio..not leaving otherwise

Fireball

If you bet a dollar on it ... I guess you will receive a dollar ...

benefactor
...and will hopefully play himself out of that position less than 20 games in.

mexicanjunior
12-16-2011, 10:14 AM
If they don't pull the trigger, he will spend the entire year sulking on the bench and bringing the team morale down. This team doesn't have the talent to be in title contention anyway but the distraction of keeping him will cause them to probably miss the playoffs. Nice way to waste one of Duncan's last years in the league...

TimmehC
12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
RJ isn't a sulker. He's been nothing but professional since he's been in SA, even if he sucks and doesn't fit the system.

yavozerb
12-16-2011, 10:22 AM
RJ isn't a sulker. He's been nothing but professional since he's been in SA, even if he sucks and doesn't fit the system.

agree 100%..His teamates and coaches seem to like him alot..

Fireball
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
agree 100%..His teamates and coaches seem to like him alot..

Manu hugging him in front of the cameras confirmed this .. he definitely does not disturb the locker room.

SenorSpur
12-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Amen. The fact the RJ was working out with Leonard over the offseason was a surprise and a testimony to his professionalism.

As of now, and until Leonard is fully ready to take over, RJ is the best and only available fit for the Spurs SF position. No amnesty.

mexicanjunior
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM

He's never been psyched out with an amnesty by the FO before. He already plays with absolutely no confidence when Pop force feeds him minutes, how does knowing his team really didn't want him help at all?

easy7
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM
RJ is here to stay. he knows the system and isn't going anywhere.

bigdog
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Everyone in the locker room likes him, he knows the system, and is more talented and better than just about every free agent SF we could've gotten. He may not be exactly what we want, but he's going to have to do. He got better last year, even if we still thought he sucked, and I think he'll be better this year.

tdunk21
12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
i dont think so...and i am sure novak could be our last signing of this offseason

sananspursfan21
12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
as of now, i would cry if they used the amnesty. im tryin to warm myself back up to the idea of richard jefferson coming back

Morg1411
12-16-2011, 11:50 AM
At this point, RJ isn't going anywhere. Sorry, haters.

Fireball
12-16-2011, 12:03 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/16/richard-jefferson-is-still-a-spur/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

dbestpro
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I have no problem keeping RJ as there just is not anyone better at this point. My only hope is that the signing of Novak will somehow convince Pop to let go of Bonner. Just let go.

Brutalis
12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
No reason too..Spurs will put the amnesty in there back pocket and use it next season in my opinion. If they do use it, its because Leonard is the real deal.

This.

Some people just don't get it.

Muser
12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Makes sense to not Amnesty him, whoever the Spurs would get as his replacement I guarantee you they wouldn't be as good as RJ.

Fabbs
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Lq8nfiKowvw/SRT6zS9UlOI/AAAAAAAAAG0/c-hrNXfVpv4/s400/LIT+CANDLE.jpg
We're holding a candlelight vigil for Dick.

manufan10
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
"All signs point to Spurs' Richard Jefferson surviving tonight's amnesty deadline judging by everything Pop told @JMcDonald_SAEN yesterday." - @ESPNSteinLine

Morg1411
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I have no problem keeping RJ as there just is not anyone better at this point. My only hope is that the signing of Novak will somehow convince Pop to let go of Bonner. Just let go.

:tu This. Won't happen, but a fan's gotta dream.

LongtimeSpursFan
12-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Amen. The fact the RJ was working out with Leonard over the offseason was a surprise and a testimony to his professionalism.

As of now, and until Leonard is fully ready to take over, RJ is the best and only available fit for the Spurs SF position. No amnesty.

I agree 1000%. Kudos to RJ for taking the higher road on this. Even though RJ takes a lot of blame here in SA he is still one of the better SF's in the NBA. I think a combo of RJ/Leonard is a great tandem.

DMC
12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
We saw what RJ could do against Dallas some time ago when called out by Pop "like dogs".

That's the RJ we need to see every game, and 2x that in the playoffs. He has the ability, and needs to stop waiting for the team to design a play for him. Get the ball, get it to the hole (hell pretend Luke is up there) and get back on defense. He's done it before so it's not like he doesn't know how.

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 01:41 PM
A lot of love for Dick on this thread.

DMC
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
A lot of love for Dick on this thread.
Must be what brought you here.

timvp
12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
The NBA usually doesn't have midnight as a deadline. Deadlines are usually either 2 PM ET or 5 PM ET. It could be midnight but that would be odd, especially since it's a Friday.

But it's not like David Stern has made much sense lately so who knows.

DesignatedT
12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
RJ is here to stay. he knows the system and isn't going anywhere.

I wouldn't say he's here to stay. It's pretty obvious that if we don't use the amnesty or can't unload him in a trade that this will be his last year as a Spur. You can bet that the Spurs will continue to work the phones and try to unload him via trade and hope someone eventually bites. Best case scenario is RJ plays well and improves his trade value.

Like everyone else said, with the Spurs striking out on Butler and Hill there really isn't much point in wasting your amnesty on RJ at this moment when you can save it for next off-season. Hoping he plays well and trying to move him via trade is the best option we can hope for now and you know the Spurs will still be trying hard to do that.

timvp
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
What I was told from a person with a good connection in this matter:

-Pop called RJ the first minute he was allowed to in order to tell RJ he might be waived.

-RJ asked how he should handle it. Pop told him: "You know how to handle it."

-As of practice today, RJ hasn't been told either way.

-RJ asked a member of the FO to be told of his fate before it hits the media.

I don't like RJ the basketball player but he's handling this situation about as well as could be expected. As far as the FO, I'm sure they'll talk all the possible time in case something comes up they want to jump on that would require an amnestied RJ.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't want RJ donning a Spurs jersey anymore. He might be a good guy or whatever, that's not the point.

I rather have one of the kids, or even fucking Steve Novak get his minutes.

When it's pressure time, RJ will be sitting on the bench anyways. Might as well prepare somebody else for the bright lights.

lefty
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
What I was told from a person with a good connection in this matter:

-Pop called RJ the first minute he was allowed to in order to tell RJ he might be waived.

-RJ asked how he should handle it. Pop told him: "You know how to handle it."

-As of practice today, RJ hasn't been told either way.

-RJ asked a member of the FO to be told of his fate before it hits the media.

I don't like RJ the basketball player but he's handling this situation about as well as could be expected. As far as the FO, I'm sure they'll talk all the possible time in case something comes up they want to jump on that would require an amnestied RJ.

Damn Pop :lol

z0sa
12-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I think RJ stays.

Libri
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I also believe that RJ will remain.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 2h
All signs point to Spurs' Richard Jefferson surviving tonight's amnesty deadline judging by everything Pop told @JMcDonald_SAEN yesterday

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 2h
But we gotta wait til midnight to know for sure. NBA teams have 'til MIDNIGHT tonight to use amnesty clause or pocket it 'til July 2012

Obstructed_View
12-16-2011, 02:47 PM
There's simply no reason to use the amnesty clause on him. The Spurs have exhausted the three or four players that could be better than RJ for roughly what they're spending on his position. Getting rid of him benefits the team precisely zero at this point. I could give less than a shit about the financial impact on the team because they were the ones stupid enough to sign RJ to the extension in the first place.

If RJ starts the season on the same pace as last year, maybe some dipshit team will be willing to trade something for him.

lefty
12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
The Amnestysion

Ice009
12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
If RJ starts the season on the same pace as last year, maybe some dipshit team will be willing to trade something for him.

Even if RJ does play amazing, would the Spurs want to take on anymore salary?

Obstructed_View
12-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Even if RJ does play amazing, would the Spurs want to take on anymore salary?

The Spurs have shown no aversion to throwing good money after bad in this situation. I'd be happy to see them swap RJ's bad contract for a bad contract for a power forward or center who will keep Matt Bonner as a role player.

Josepatches_
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Jefferson isn't the problem...he's not great but we could live with his 10ppg. We would be very happy if Leonard scored 10ppg.

Our biggest problem is the age of TD and we are not to solve this with another SF.

Richard Jefferson could be a great addition in the championship years. Now he sucks because we are done.That's all.

Prince? Battier? Outlaw? Josh Howard?? Do you really think we will be much better team if we could change RJ for one of them? I'm not so sure.Maybe we could be better but far away to be champions again.

Imo the easy way it's to blame jefferson but our problem is a lot bigger

12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
and the last stage is acceptance.

angelbelow
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
No point is cutting him. We have to pay him anyways, might as well use his warm body.

This is a sped up, condensed season so we'll need his legs anyways. We struck out on all our potential signings but thats no reason to cut RJ.

Best case, he plays hard and tries to earn his contract, worse case, he gets benched and rots but remains a good pro and doesnt fuck up the locker room chemistry.

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Great... gotta see this worthless fuck in the black & silver again. :pctoss

ElNono
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
RJ is part of the problem, and that's why he has to walk. He isn't the only problem, but you have to start addressing the problems somewhere. For starters, his contract is terrible, no team wants to touch with a 10 foot pole, which makes him untradeable, and it's basically one of the very few assets we have to improve the team.

With the amnesty, at least the Spurs can offset a bit the loss as opposed to just waiving him and open up quite some reasonable cap room in addition to TD's contract coming off the books next season.

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
RJ is part of the problem, and that's why he has to walk. He isn't the only problem, but you have to start addressing the problems somewhere. For starters, his contract is terrible, no team wants to touch with a 10 foot pole, which makes him untradeable, and it's basically one of the very few assets we have to improve the team.

With the amnesty, at least the Spurs can offset a bit the loss as opposed to just waiving him and open up quite some reasonable cap room in addition to TD's contract coming off the books next season.

If Billups got picked up for only $2 million, then I don't see anyone with cap space snatching his ass up.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:02 PM
If Billups got picked up for only $2 million, then I don't see anyone with cap space snatching his ass up.

Well, are you ready for 3 more years of him? Last year he'll be gobbling up $11 million of cap space... fml

lmbebo
12-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, are you ready for 3 more years of him? Last year he'll be gobbling up $11 million of cap space... fml

He can still be amnestied next July. Didn't have to be used right away.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
tbh, I can't wait to hear the bitching when RJ is walking like a zombie out there while Leonard watches from the bench. Then you'll hear the usual apologists: "Leonard didn't play because he must be sucking during practice"... or "Rookie wall!"... or "It wouldn't be fair to the team"...

And that's another reason why RJ has to walk... if he's there, he'll play, and he's higher than the rooks in the veteran pecking order...

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Probably won't happen; the Spurs will try like hell to salary dump his worthless ass, with guys like Splitter, Anderson, and first round picks as likely sweeteners.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:08 PM
He can still be amnestied next July. Didn't have to be used right away.

So that means the Spurs can't make any decent moves until next July...

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Probably won't happen; the Spurs will try like hell to salary dump his worthless ass, with guys like Splitter, Anderson, and first round picks as likely sweeteners.

Didn't they already try to package him with Tony, a top tier dude on the right side of 30, and still no takers? I don't think it will be that easy to dump that salary. And the closer we get to the new luxury tax rules, the harder it's going to be, IMO.

Big P
12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
They'll use amnesty on him next summer when we actually have a chance at landing a decent fa.

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Didn't they already try to package him with Tony, a top tier dude on the right side of 30, and still no takers? I don't think it will be that easy to dump that salary. And the closer we get to the new luxury tax rules, the harder it's going to be, IMO.

Tony is also in the middle of a huge contract himself, so that's an enormous amount of salary to be taking in. If Anderson blows up half as much as the Spurs seem to be expecting him to, I can see him gone in the salary dump.

ohmwrecker
12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
It's not happening. Let it go already. Accept it and hope for the best. Try to enjoy Timmy while you still can.

Spursfan092120
12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
It's official

Spurs notebook: No amnesty for Jefferson
Posted on December 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm
By Jeff McDonald
[email protected]

HOUSTON – Meet the new starting small forward, same as the old starting small forward.

After a week of flirting with other small forwards, the Spurs will open the preseason tonight at the Toyota Center with Richard Jefferson still on the roster and the remaining three years and $30.5 million on his contract still on the team payroll.

Friday’s NBA deadline for executing amnesty on a player – waiving him in order to clean his contract off the books for salary-cap purposes – came and went without Jefferson being jettisoned.

The Spurs had been strongly considering releasing the 31-year-old Jefferson, but backed away when they couldn’t seem to attract a suitable replacement. Though amnesty is off the table for the 2011-12 season, the team could still use the one-time provision for next season beginning in July.

In two seasons with the Spurs, Jefferson averaged 11.6 points. He shot 44 percent from 3-point range last season, a career-high and fifth-best in the league.

“He had a hell of a year for us,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “I think he’ll just move forward from there.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/16/spurs-notebook-no-amnesty-for-jefferson/

slick'81
12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
well reap what u sow spurs

mexicanjunior
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
“He had a hell of a year for us,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “I think he’ll just move forward from there.”

:lol

objective
12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
tbh, I can't wait to hear the bitching when RJ is walking like a zombie out there while Leonard watches from the bench. Then you'll hear the usual apologists: "Leonard didn't play because he must be sucking during practice"... or "Rookie wall!"... or "It wouldn't be fair to the team"...

And that's another reason why RJ has to walk... if he's there, he'll play, and he's higher than the rooks in the veteran pecking order...

100%

This is the most likely way it's going to go down, based entirely on past history and not just hope:

1. RJ soaks up a ton of minutes in the regular season, has some good early statistical games where people love his empty points and ignore the rest of the ways he doesn't help the team win.

2. Due to that, Kawhi and Old Man James Anderson sit on the bench, in and out of the rotation. Their development is delayed. Pop declares that playing youth after a short camp in a truncated season 'wouldn't be fair to the team'.

3. RJ starts to settle into RJ-mode as his poor defense, soft play, and no-hustle sprays itself all over the rest of the team.

4. RJ isn't in during many closing minutes, as Pop goes with Parker-sub A (Neal this year, Hill the last two)-& Manu at the smalls.

5. The playoffs approaching, Pop declares, "These playoffs aren't for them (the youth).'

6. The playoffs start, RJ starts the playoffs with one or two decent empty stat games. Then his overall garbage play is so poor that Pop can no longer ignore reality.

7. Pop turns to guys like Leonard and Anderson after the Spurs get down in the series.

8. Leonard and Anderson play well, but not as well as they could have had they been playing heavy minutes all year.

9. Being so far in the hole, and without Leonard and Anderson being as good as they should have been, the Spurs crumble and are humiliated and eliminated.

10. When asked about who starts the 11-12 season, he responds, "Maybe it's Richard Jefferson!"

we all can hope that it doesn't work out that way, but past behavior for the Spurs is the best indicator of future behavior

Spursfan092120
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
:lol

11 pts. 3.8 boards...not near worth the money we gave him, but he wasn't horrible. Just choked come playoff time.

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Tony is also in the middle of a huge contract himself, so that's an enormous amount of salary to be taking in. If Anderson blows up half as much as the Spurs seem to be expecting him to, I can see him gone in the salary dump.

But that's the problem. If Anderson is any good, you want to keep him.

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 09:37 PM
“He had a hell of a year for us,” coach Gregg Popovich said.

:rollin

mexicanjunior
100%

This is the most likely way it's going to go down, based entirely on past history and not just hope:

1. RJ soaks up a ton of minutes in the regular season, has some good early statistical games where people love his empty points and ignore the rest of the ways he doesn't help the team win.

2. Due to that, Kawhi and Old Man James Anderson sit on the bench, in and out of the rotation. Their development is delayed. Pop declares that playing youth after a short camp in a truncated season 'wouldn't be fair to the team'.

3. RJ starts to settle into RJ-mode as his poor defense, soft play, and no-hustle sprays itself all over the rest of the team.

4. RJ isn't in during many closing minutes, as Pop goes with Parker-sub A (Neal this year, Hill the last two)-& Manu at the smalls.

5. The playoffs approaching, Pop declares, "These playoffs aren't for them (the youth).'

6. The playoffs start, RJ starts the playoffs with one or two decent empty stat games. Then his overall garbage play is so poor that Pop can no longer ignore reality.

7. Pop turns to guys like Leonard and Anderson after the Spurs get down in the series.

8. Leonard and Anderson play well, but not as well as they could have had they been playing heavy minutes all year.

9. Being so far in the hole, and without Leonard and Anderson being as good as they should have been, the Spurs crumble and are humiliated and eliminated.

10. When asked about who starts the 11-12 season, he responds, "Maybe it's Richard Jefferson!"

we all can hope that it doesn't work out that way, but past behavior for the Spurs is the best indicator of future behavior

Sounds right on the money...except they will be lucky to make the playoffs.

baseline bum
But that's the problem. If Anderson is any good, you want to keep him.

Exactly. But maybe Holt won't want to keep him the same way he didn't want to keep Scola.

baseline bum
12-16-2011, 09:40 PM
11 pts. 3.8 boards...not near worth the money we gave him, but he wasn't horrible. Just choked come playoff time.

Jefferson just choked playoff time? Who gives a shit about the rest of the time?

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Exactly. But maybe Holt won't want to keep him the same way he didn't want to keep Scola.

I see what you did there... :lol

ElNono
12-16-2011, 09:42 PM
“He had a hell of a year for us,” coach Gregg Popovich said.

Regular season Pop is so disgusting... whatever happened with the old Pop?

loveforthegame
12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
:depressed

What's worse is we didn't even bring in a big to help Duncan. Same team. Same results.

benefactor
12-16-2011, 09:44 PM
lol "I think he'll just move forward"

What a load of shit. I can't believe he even said that. The ONLY reason RJ is still on the roster is that the Spurs couldn't get another SF to come to SA. The amnesty news leaked right about the same time Caron Butler visited the Spurs. They had is ass in the catapult ready to hit the lever...now they think he's going to get better? How fucking stupid do you think we are Pop?

Duncan2177
12-16-2011, 11:07 PM
It's official

Spurs notebook: No amnesty for Jefferson
Posted on December 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm
By Jeff McDonald
[email protected]

HOUSTON – Meet the new starting small forward, same as the old starting small forward.

After a week of flirting with other small forwards, the Spurs will open the preseason tonight at the Toyota Center with Richard Jefferson still on the roster and the remaining three years and $30.5 million on his contract still on the team payroll.

Friday’s NBA deadline for executing amnesty on a player – waiving him in order to clean his contract off the books for salary-cap purposes – came and went without Jefferson being jettisoned.

The Spurs had been strongly considering releasing the 31-year-old Jefferson, but backed away when they couldn’t seem to attract a suitable replacement. Though amnesty is off the table for the 2011-12 season, the team could still use the one-time provision for next season beginning in July.

In two seasons with the Spurs, Jefferson averaged 11.6 points. He shot 44 percent from 3-point range last season, a career-high and fifth-best in the league.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/16/spurs-notebook-no-amnesty-for-jefferson/

He had a hell of a year my ass. Whatcha Smokin Pop

slick'81
12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
i just love how everytime the spurs failure v memphis is mentioned pop or the spurs retort 61 wins bitches :lobt2:

SenorSpur
12-17-2011, 12:44 AM
He had a hell of a year my ass. Whatcha Smokin Pop

Pop if full of shit. IF RJ had a helluva year, then he wouldn't have been chasing Caron Butler and every other available SF on the market.

GSH
12-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Pop if full of shit. IF RJ had a helluva year, then he wouldn't have been chasing Caron Butler and every other available SF on the market.

It's called damage control. Sort of like when Corzine says he doesn't know where the $1.2 Billion went. That makes everybody feel better.

Buddy Holly
12-17-2011, 12:47 AM

Salary dump him with Splitter, Anderson as sweeteners? lol

No way they give up either just to salary dump Jefferson. They'll just amnesty him. :lol

SenorSpur
12-17-2011, 12:48 AM
100%

Sounds accurate to me, too.

GSH
12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Sounds accurate to me, too.

I'm not so sure that RJ gets worse as the season progresses. I think that the top-tier teams improve steadily, and the same RJ that looked adequate early looks like crap against the better teams late in the season.

Also, if you're going to give long minutes to the rookie and young players, to get them ready for next season - isn't that sort of the definition of giving up on this season? If you're gonna do that, just blow the damn thing up. At least one of the Big 3. Throw the young guys into the fire, and get a good draft pick. And if the young guys surprise, and step up big? Well that's good, too.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think that this sort of half life is the worst of both worlds.

quentin_compson
12-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Gregg Popovich didn’t quite come out and say the Spurs would not use amnesty on Jefferson this season, but it sure sounded like the team is planning on opening the season with him in the fold.
“Each year, he’s understood the system more and done a better job,” Popovich said of Jefferson. “I think he wants to come back and have an even better year than he did last year. I think he was fifth in the league in shooting his 3s, and he got better defensively. I think he’ll move forward from there.
“It’s kind of interesting, everybody’s always asking about amnesty, and I’m always wondering, ‘Why Richard?’ As if we didn’t advance in the playoffs because of Richard.”
Jefferson’s scoring average dipped from 12.3 points to 11 last season, but he was much more efficient in his second year with the Spurs than his first.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217603/Jefferson_Will_Likely_Remain_On_Spurs_Roster#ixzz1 gmdRhE00

Weak attempt by Pop. :hat

Texas_Ranger
12-17-2011, 05:07 AM
We didn't advance in the playoffs beacause of our pathectic center line and we still didn't do shit about it. Only that Dice is gone who was our 2nd best defender under the rim. LOL at Blair and Bonner, I coul score on those two... So if you look at the big picture RJ is not the biggest problem, his contract sucks balls, but Butler,Howar or Carter wouldn be any better here.

dbestpro
12-17-2011, 11:21 AM
RJ is like a pulled muscle. It hurts, but it has the potential to get better. It's just taking a long, long, time to get better.
The Bonner and Blair combination is like a chronic disease that will always be a pain in the side of the Spurs. It must be surgically removed for the Spurs to have a chance. With Novak capable of duplicating Bonner's game, it is obvious which should by player should be removed.

Giuseppe
12-17-2011, 11:27 AM
“Coach Popovich is kind of a quirky guy,” Jack said. “He might do things just because it's Tuesday.”

lmao!!!

benefactor
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
RJ is like a pulled muscle. It hurts, but it has the potential to get better. It's just taking a long, long, time to get better.

http://troll.me/images/trololo/lol-no.jpg

will_spurs
12-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not so sure that RJ gets worse as the season progresses. I think that the top-tier teams improve steadily, and the same RJ that looked adequate early looks like crap against the better teams late in the season.

RJ got "worse" because Pop's system evolved last year. The first 1/3rd of the season (if not half) was run & gun type of offense with a lot of baskets in transition, alley-oops and so on. After that Pop moved more and more towards 3-pt spot-out shooting and it went all downhill from there. RJ can be a really good player in rather fast-paced offenses, but the more the game slows down, the less likely he is to make an impact.

Also, if you're going to give long minutes to the rookie and young players, to get them ready for next season - isn't that sort of the definition of giving up on this season?

Giving rookies and young players minutes doesn't equate with giving up on the season--at all. Regular season record is mostly meaningless (Exhibit A: last season). There's no point in letting vets win reg season and crash in the playoffs. I'd rather see the Spurs with a worse reg season record because of playing young guys, but have everybody ready to contribute by playoffs time (esp. since Bonner and RJ's disappearing acts in the playoffs are now a given).