PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy says he knew it was just a matter of time

tlongII
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/12/brandon_roy_says_he_knew_it_wa.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/brandonroypicjpg-fdf870ffc35825a7.jpg
Brandon Roy plays with his children Brandon Jr. and Mariah at his home on the day he was forced to retire from the Blazers.

At first, he felt the knees. Then, Brandon Roy heard them.

It was last week, days before training camp was to start for the Portland Trail Blazers, and Roy was intensifying his efforts to come back from yet another round of knee surgeries the season before.

His workouts, casual and playful during the lockout, became serious and strenuous, just like they always did as he prepared for a season during his storied career.

He was determined to make a comeback. To prove people wrong. To prove that the people who were standing by him were right.

But something wasn't right. And he knew it.

"The more I would try to prepare to have this big comeback year, the worse my knees would continue to feel," Roy said Thursday in his first public comments since July. "As we approached training camp, there was clicking in there, there was something in there really bothering me, and I was starting to feel like I would have to have another (surgery) just to help me get by day-to-day."

Days earlier he had met with the Trail Blazers' brass: president Larry Miller, interim general manager Chad Buchanan and head coach Nate McMillan. And later he would talk with owner Paul Allen. They all made his heart swell with unyielding support.

But deep down, he knew about his aches. And he knew about the clicks.

"The Blazers were supporting me 110 percent, and it made me feel that if they could give me that much support, then I had to be 100 percent honest about how I was feeling," Roy said. "I felt I owed it to the organization to be as honest as possible."

He scheduled an appointment with team orthopedist Don Roberts, who over the years Roy said had become more than just a doctor, but also a friend.

"I didn't tell anyone else," Roy said. "I wanted to ask questions; I wanted to get answers. And he gave me answers about what he truly felt -- not as the Trail Blazers' doctor, but as a friend of mine who knows my knees more than anybody."

The answer would alter the course of Trail Blazers history.

"I don't want to put words in his mouth, but he told me I was finished playing basketball," Roy said.

That night, Roy called the Blazers and told them his career was over. He would seek medical retirement because of a career-ending injury.

A dream dashed

It had been one week since Brandon Roy heard those words, and yet, he still hadn't repeated them until Thursday.

"When I say it, career-ending ... it's hard," Roy said, his voice cracking. "Ever since middle school ... you want to be the best player, and to know that dream of aiming to be the best is over, it's tough. Very tough."

The Blazers on Thursday waived Roy, using the NBA's newly instituted amnesty clause, which allows teams to wipe a contract off the books. Roy will be paid the remaining $63 million left on his contract, but none of it will count against the Blazers' salary cap. As a result, the Blazers were eligible for more free agent money, which they used Thursday to sign high-scoring Jamal Crawford, one of Roy's closest friends.

He says he is at peace with the Blazers' decision, and pleased that the move enabled them to sign a quality player like Crawford.

"I've been drooling to play with Jamal; the timing just wasn't right," Roy said. "But Portland will love him."

Roy said he would never play again. Not this year. Not next year. Not five years down the road. In the background, his 4-year-old son Brandon Jr. and 2-year old daughter Mariah are audible, and he adjusts the phone to tend to them.

"As much as I want to prove right that one guy who says I still have something in the tank, I have to think about my family and what the doctor is telling me," Roy said.

Hard to say goodbye

He admits it hasn't really hit him yet. He has internalized many of his feelings, and the subject has become somewhat taboo around his family.

"We try not to talk about it, and change the subject," Roy said.

But truth be told, he always knew it would come to this. He just didn't think it would come so soon.

His knees have bothered him since high school, when he had the first of his six knee surgeries that eventually left him without the meniscus in either knee, causing bone-on-bone friction when he jumped and cut.

Swollen knees became as common as blisters, but he was always able to play through it, sometimes heroically, like Game 4 of the 2010 playoffs against Phoenix, when he returned eight days after knee surgery to play and help the Blazers to victory.

"Even when I felt like my knees were giving me problems, I remember telling my dad that I have to play in every game because I don't know how many I will get to play," Roy said. "There were times my knees were swelling up so bad I didn't know how long they were going to hold up. So I felt I had to go for it, now."

In a meeting yesterday with Allen, the Blazers owner made Roy a standing offer to return to the organization in some capacity. Roy said he appreciates the gesture, but right now, the hurt is too sharp, the pangs too deep.

At 27, Roy says the only thing on his agenda is to return to the University of Washington, where he is three quarters shy of completing his degree in American ethnic studies. He said he also wants to take some communications courses.

"Getting my degree, that's as much of a goal for me as winning an NBA championship," Roy said. "I think getting that will help cure some of the pain, because coming out of high school, I didn't think I would be able to even go to college."

Career full of memories

He carries the pain of leaving the NBA at such an early age, but he will also carry memories that will never fade. His fondest, he says are getting drafted in 2006, and getting his first start in the preseason against Ray Allen. Also, his first NBA game, which happened to be in his hometown of Seattle. Then, there was the first of his three All-Star selections.

"I ran around the house for 10 minutes yelling, 'I made the All-Star team! I made the All-Star team!" Roy said, chuckling.

He remembers scoring a Rose Garden-record 52 points against Phoenix in December 2008 and returning home to find 52 snowballs placed on his steps. He remembers his wife, Tiana, being brought to tears seeing the gate outside his home littered with notes and signs from supporting fans after Game 2 of last year's playoffs, when he made emotional comments about not playing. And there's the 41-point game on Christmas, the 42-point playoff game at Houston, the rainbow three-pointer with 0.8 seconds to beat Houston in a game televised on TNT ...

"I don't know what other people were expecting, but for me, I remember so many times going home after a game and laying in bed going 'Wow! This is crazy,'" Roy said. "Every time it was new. I was on cloud nine."

One day

But his biggest memory, he admits, is Game 4 against Dallas last April, when he scored 18 of his 24 points in the fourth quarter, leading the Blazers back from 23 points. He said he felt like a hand came down and touched him that day. Never before has he felt like that on a court, so much so that he says he got chills during the game.

One day, he says he wants to relive those memories. One day, he wants to come back to the Rose Garden, when it's completely empty, just him and the rim. He wants to soak it in, he says, and remember that shot from here, and that move he made there. One day, he wants to remember.

"I think Paul (Allen) would let me do it," Roy said.

But that day is not today. And it won't be any time soon. Roy admits that he has not yet come to grips with his departure from the game. And he doesn't know how he can ever replace that special relationship he had with the Portland fans.

So he can not yet come back, because he has not yet allowed himself to go.

"You can walk away from someone who doesn't love you. And you can walk away from someone you don't love. But when the love is mutual," Roy said. "The hardest thing is to walk away."

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Not to be out of line:::why does Roy get the rest of the contract/money when he retired?

cantthinkofanything
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Not to be out of line:::why does Roy get the rest of the contract/money when he retired?

Because fuck you. That's why.

tlongII
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

GuaranSheed contracts in the NBA brah.

resistanze
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

I'm sure in the case of medical retirement, these players are insured for the full amount of the contract.

resistanze
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Pretty sweet deal TBH.

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
GuaranSheed contracts in the NBA brah.

I didn't know that held if you retired.

Spurs9
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
It really sucks, I loved watching him. I don't feel so bad for him after reading this though.

"The Blazers on Thursday waived Roy, using the NBA's newly instituted amnesty clause, which allows teams to wipe a contract off the books. Roy will be paid the remaining $63 million left on his contract, but none of it will count against the Blazers' salary cap. As a result, the Blazers were eligible for more free agent money, which they used Thursday to sign high-scoring Jamal Crawford, one of Roy's closest friends. "

Yes he gets the rest of 63million :wow:wow

Killakobe81
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Seems like a good guy. It's sad but I do remember warning plenty of folks in here that his knee issues GO BACK to his PAC-10 days. He would destroy my Bruins one game and then play passive facilitator the next. The UWash commentators werent sure how his knee would hold up back then ..and you guys gave him that contract ...smart move.

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM

sheed contracts, but it wont appear on the teams salary cap...its just like gettin amnesty

JamStone
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
That's why he was all pissy and moany back in the summer of 2009 about being worth max type money. He knew he only had so much time left and he wanted to milk every red cent he could. Pretty disingenuous of him back then.

And under the old CBA, if retirement is due to medical reasons, the player is insured for the full amount, like resistanze mentioned. The salary stays on the payroll for one season, then it can be taken off. And the player gets the full amount. I don't see a reason why it would have changed under the new CBA.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q55

question #55

cantthinkofanything
12-16-2011, 11:51 AM
That's why he was all pissy and moany back in the summer of 2009 about being worth max type money. He knew he only had so much time left and he wanted to milk every red cent he could. Pretty disingenuous of him back then.

And under the old CBA, if retirement is due to medical reasons, the player is insured for the full amount, like resistanze mentioned. The salary stays on the payroll for one season, then it can be taken off. And the player gets the full amount. I don't see a reason why it would have changed under the new CBA.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q55

question #55

Couldn't have we done the same with RJ and his gayness affliction?

JamStone
12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Couldn't have we done the same with RJ and his gayness affliction?

Yes. RC and Pop fucked up on that one. :rolleyes

tlongII
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
He deserved the money imo. He almost single-handedly changed the culture of the organization. Paul Allen can afford it and now he doesn't count against the salary cap.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
He deserved the money imo. He almost single-handedly changed the culture of the organization. Paul Allen can afford it and now he doesn't count against the salary cap.

I don't think Paul Allen even pays it. I think it's the league or a league associated insurance company that pays it. But I'm not sure.

And it's still a crock of shit to basically bitch and moan for a max deal or close to a max deal knowing your playing career is extremely limited by that point. He got 5 years, $82 million. 6 more years from the point of the extension. Plus the $4 million in 09-10, he'll end up making roughly $86 million for 121 games played (including playoffs). Over $700,000 per game. $21,000 per minute played.

Deserve that, my ass.

DJ Mbenga
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
paying roy is a drop in the bucket to allen. i feel less bad for him knowing he is set for life and he didnt even complete the contract. but damn "clicking knees". easy decision to retire when the doctor says you may risk walking again if you keep playing

tlongII
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think Paul Allen even pays it. I think it's the league or a league associated insurance company that pays it. But I'm not sure.

And it's still a crock of shit to basically bitch and moan for a max deal or close to a max deal knowing your playing career is extremely limited by that point. He got 5 years, $82 million. 6 more years from the point of the extension. Plus the $4 million in 09-10, he'll end up making roughly $86 million for 121 games played (including playoffs). Over $700,000 per game. $21,000 per minute played.

Deserve that, my ass.

U mad?

JamStone
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
U mad?

Why would I be? Portland isn't my team. Portland isn't even in my team's conference. And my team currently sucks so nothing any other team does is really relevant to helping the chances of my team getting better.

I was just expressing an opinion.

DMC
12-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Back when you retired, the ABA was just winding down and I don't think there were any such things.

DMC
12-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Deserve that, my ass.

If I could bitch a little and get that much money, then retire in a couple of years and still get the money, I would have to really think about it. Not sure I could do it, with my standards and all, but it would be tempting.

Killakobe81
12-16-2011, 12:12 PM
He stole money, plain and simple. And blazers brass was dumb enough to help him. Like I said there were knee concerns that date back to college. They paid him Dwayne Wade money.

Now one thing I will say Tlong is right about he did help transform the Jailblazers to the young, talented future Western Power ... but again when that is largely based on Oden's and Roy's knees that was foolish.

Oh and Im knocking on wood that Bynum and CP3 don't follow the same path ...

Who is willing to bet big money that we will NOT read a story like this in the near future about Paul?! I hope not ...but it makes me nervous ...

DMC
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
A player/employee never gets more than their market value.

Brandon Roy did not build the system. Don't hate the player, hate the Blazers.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 12:20 PM
If I could bitch a little and get that much money, then retire in a couple of years and still get the money, I would have to really think about it. Not sure I could do it, with my standards and all, but it would be tempting.

I just seem to recall Roy making it public how he felt he deserved a max contract. My issue isn't that he's getting paid now. My issue is if (and I do say IF) at the time around August 2009 when they were discussing an extension Roy knew about how bad his knees were, whether he really negotiated in good faith. If he felt like he could play at a high level, injury free through the extension, and something fluke happens, okay. But if during the negotiation of his extension, he knew he didn't have much longer to play, I think it's horseshit to say he still deserves it for changing the culture.

And we're not talking about a normal person's salary. We're not talking about bitching to get a few thousand more dollars on a $60,000 job. Regardless, Roy is set for life. That's why I have more issues with it. It's not like without the max deal, Roy wouldn't be able to eat upon retirement.

DMC
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I just seem to recall Roy making it public how he felt he deserved a max contract. My issue isn't that he's getting paid now. My issue is if (and I do say IF) at the time around August 2009 when they were discussing an extension Roy knew about how bad his knees were, whether he really negotiated in good faith. If he felt like he could play at a high level, injury free through the extension, and something fluke happens, okay. But if during the negotiation of his extension, he knew he didn't have much longer to play, I think it's horseshit to say he still deserves it for changing the culture.

And we're not talking about a normal person's salary. We're not talking about bitching to get a few thousand more dollars on a $60,000 job. Regardless, Roy is set for life. That's why I have more issues with it. It's not like without the max deal, Roy wouldn't be able to eat upon retirement.

Here's the thing about that: No one, and I mean no one spends 90 million dollars on something without a 3rd party's opinion. Roy knew about his knees, but so did the Blazers' team doctors.

Hell, Chandler couldn't get into OKC because of a toe, but Roy gets that much with bad knees?

If you could sell your car for 300,000 because that's what you said you felt you deserved for it, wouldn't you?

It's a supply/demand issue. Deserve never has anything to do with salary. It's all about negotiations.

mavs>spurs
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Ehh shut up he deserved the money, it was those retarded Portland team doctors who went ahead and advised him to remove the meniscus and the team endorsed it so that he could come back early for the playoffs. Big mistake, should have just taken as much time off as needed without removal of the meniscus imho. Accelerated the degeneration of his knee 10 times faster.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not claiming blind innocence on the part of the Blazers front office. They're absolutely dumbasses for agreeing to the extension. But I'm claiming Roy as disingenuous if he knew about his crap knees back then, especially because of what I recall about him bitching that he deserved max money.

If I could sell my car for $300,000 because I felt that was what it was worth, yes, I would. You're failing to see that my criticism is that Roy was being pretentious when he said that's what he felt he was worth if he knew how bad his knees worth. There's no way he should feel that way, hence why I was suggesting he may have been disingenuous. For example, I would be lying to myself if I thought a beat-up Ford Taurus with 150,000 miles on it and a shot engine was worth $300,000.

DMC
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not claiming blind innocence on the part of the Blazers front office. They're absolutely dumbasses for agreeing to the extension. But I'm claiming Roy as disingenuous if he knew about his crap knees back then, especially because of what I recall about him bitching that he deserved max money.

If I could sell my car for $300,000 because I felt that was what it was worth, yes, I would. You're failing to see that my criticism is that Roy was being pretentious when he said that's what he felt he was worth if he knew how bad his knees worth. There's no way he should feel that way, hence why I was suggesting he may have been disingenuous. For example, I would be lying to myself if I thought a beat-up Ford Taurus with 150,000 miles on it was worth $300,000.
I completely understand what you are saying. We both know (I think) that your car isn't worth 300K. If you could pretend it was, and get that money, wouldn't you?

How much effort should an employee put into ensuring the company who hires them isn't spending too much?

I agree he probably knew he wouldn't make it to term, but so did the team doctors and you always ask for a lot more than you end up getting. If they pay you the larger price, good for you. They obviously think you're worth the risk.

I don't think Brandon Roy knew anything the Blazers didn't know. There should be a stipulation in the way the insurance is structured to say that retirement has to be suggested by a group of physicians, and that might be the case. Otherwise anyone could do that.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I completely understand what you are saying. We both know (I think) that your car isn't worth 300K. If you could pretend it was, and get that money, wouldn't you?

Honestly, no.

mavs>spurs
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Honestly, no.

lmao lmao lmao

but if it were kobe you'd be applauding the savy move imho

tlongII
12-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Honestly, no.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

ChumpDumper
12-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Honestly, no.Right, but could you do it dishonestly?

mavs>spurs
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
crofl crofl now that the 04 piston love on this site has gone away everyone shit on this faggot with me. ":cry i wouldn't take 63 million dollars if someone offered it to me because i don't deserve it :cry" :lmao laughable.

if you want to be technical, who really DOES "deserve" 63 million dollars? get off your high horse

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
^I'm with Y on this one.

Jammie is a pompous ass & a terrible windbag.

DMC
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Honestly, no.

You are a rare gem then.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Real talk

Are the Blazers cursed?

redzero
12-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Real talk

Are the Blazers cursed?

No, because curses don't exist.

DMC
12-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't know, I am sure they have cursed a few times in the past few years.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

I think Oden, Bowie and Roy beg to differ

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 01:39 PM
"Ernie" was cursed on this morning's episode of "My Three Sons."

pass1st
12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Curly, you ever lose your sons to social services for pedophile reasons?

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Just go back and fuck your mother some more, Pass.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Why don't you let go of those kids you invited over to your house to play "Locked Up: 20 to life & under 5"

DubMcDub
12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Roy gets the money because the Blazers used the amnesty clause on him. That's how it works--the player comes off your salary cap, but you still have to pay the amount left on his contract.

It has nothing to do with his medical retirement. He did file for medical retirement, but that process takes a full season to complete, and the Blazers elected not to wait. Instead of waiting that year out, they used the amnesty clause on him immediately so they could sign Crawford. In other words, Roy is getting paid for the exact same reason that RJeff would be paid if the Spurs amniested him.

DubMcDub
12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
*edit* double post

tlongII
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I heard you the first time Dub!

Giuseppe
12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Why don't you let go of those kids you invited over to your house to play "Locked Up: 20 to life & under 5"

Just go back and fuck your mother some more.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Just go back and fuck your mother some more.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/431114335_994b336743.jpg

JamStone
12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
*cough*bullshit*cough*

Let's say the car's true value is $500. Would I sell it for $600? Sure. $700? Yup. $1000? Maybe but I'd feel guilty about it. Sell a $500 car for $300,000? No, not in good conscience.

z0sa
12-16-2011, 02:50 PM
If some dumbass wanted to buy my clunker for 300 grand I'd do it in a flash.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
crofl crofl now that the 04 piston love on this site has gone away everyone shit on this faggot with me. ":cry i wouldn't take 63 million dollars if someone offered it to me because i don't deserve it :cry" :lmao laughable.

if you want to be technical, who really DOES "deserve" 63 million dollars? get off your high horse

I don't have a problem if a person wins the lottery and becomes a multi-millionaire, whether they "deserve" it or not. It doesn't have to do with being "deserving."

My criticism of Roy relates to negotiating and campaigning for a max contract if he knew about his knees. And I reiterate that's "if" he did in fact know at the time.

As for your feeling towards me... uh ok. I don't even know who you are. Who are you anyway. Don't recognize your screen name. Don't know your opinion on things. Shrugs. Even if I did, please allow me not to give a fuck what an anonymous sports forum poster thinks of me. You can "shit" all you want. I will continue not yo give a fuck. Sounds like a good plan.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Let's say the car's true value is $500. Would I sell it for $600? Sure. $700? Yup. $1000? Maybe but I'd feel guilty about it. Sell a $500 car for $300,000? No, not in good conscience.

If you have a 500 dollar car then you need the money more than he does.

DMC
12-16-2011, 02:54 PM

So the billionaire really really wants your car and says "name your price" and you jokingly say "300K" and he says "deal". Do you say "no no, I was kidding, I will take 600"?

The billionaire had master mechanics go over your car with a fine toothed comb and he's seen your car in action for a few years. He wants it, and he knows the score.

Bill_Brasky
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
That Dallas game last year was special. Really makes you wonder what could have been.

pass1st
12-16-2011, 03:02 PM
That Dallas game last year was special. Really makes you wonder what could have been.

KB8 with a more refined game, pretty much.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
So the billionaire really really wants your car and says "name your price" and you jokingly say "300K" and he says "deal". Do you say "no no, I was kidding, I will take 600"?

The billionaire had master mechanics go over your car with a fine toothed comb and he's seen your car in action for a few years. He wants it, and he knows the score.

Yes, I'd take the deal. I predicated my initial response on the idea that both sides are trying to make a fair deal. If it's done openly and it's just some rich guy throwing away money just because he can even though he knows the car's true worth, I have no issues with it.

But let me flip it on you then. A guy approaches you about your car under the assumption that it's a classic. And that if he does a liitle bit of work on it, he could flip that $300,000 into $600,000. You know no matter how much he fixes it up, it will never be worth even $3,000. He offers to buy the car for $300,000 which is his entire life's savings. You have no regrets or misgivings about taking that sucker's money? Well I do.

tlongII
12-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, I'd take the deal. I predicated my initial response on the idea that both sides are trying to make a fair deal. If it's done openly and it's just some rich guy throwing away money just because he can even though he knows the car's true worth, I have no issues with it.

But let me flip it on you then. A guy approaches you about your car under the assumption that it's a classic. And that if he does a liitle bit of work on it, he could flip that $300,000 into $600,000. You know no matter how much he fixes it up, it will never be worth even $3,000. He offers to buy the car for $300,000 which is his entire life's savings. You have no regrets or misgivings about taking that sucker's money? Well I do.

It's just too bad that DMC's scenario was much more relevant than yours, huh?

resistanze
12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Well for me, if I could make anyone pay me 63 milllion dollars for lying about my shitty knees, I would. And I'd sleep like a baby :lol

JamStone
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
DMC's scenerio involves a billionaire throwing away money despite knowing the true worth if the product. Are you suggesting it's more relevant because Paul Allen's ownership if the Blazers involves throwing away money without regard of the player's true worth, thus preventing the Blazers from making sound business decisions, and ultimately hurting his team? You're suggesting Allen doesn't even care about the product of the team or winning or losing because it's just about him as a rich guy throwing around money. Is that why it's more relevant?

DMC
12-16-2011, 03:43 PM

That's not the case in Portland with Roy. The guy in your example would have a court case for fraud if I sold him a car under the pretense that it was a classic. He would be an idiot, for sure, and a fool and his money are soon parted, but you basically created a hypothetical that doesn't, in any way, reflect the truth.

1. Paul Allen couldn't spend all his money even if he bought the NBA
2. The Blazers know Roy's condition better than Roy does
3. If Roy's worth was misrepresented, it was by the Blazers to the fans
4. The Blazers could have Yao Ming'ed Roy for a couple of years instead of amnestying him. They chose their path.

Sorry, but your attempt to portray a Tebow like honesty has actually made you look dishonest, as that last one was way out there. If you really believe your analogy is accurate, you need to do more research.

DMC
12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
DMC's scenerio involves a billionaire throwing away money despite knowing the true worth if the product. Are you suggesting it's more relevant because Paul Allen's ownership if the Blazers involves throwing away money without regard of the player's true worth, thus preventing the Blazers from making sound business decisions, and ultimately hurting his team? You're suggesting Allen doesn't even care about the product of the team or winning or losing because it's just about him as a rich guy throwing around money. Is that why it's more relevant?
You're overlooking a critical point: The Blazers knew Roy's worth, period, end of story. To say otherwise is to really put in question the integrity of the Blazers' trainers and team physicians.

Teams have the right to make bad decisions. Players have the right to profit from those. The reverse is also true and has been happening for decades.

Heath Ledger
12-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Your fucking retarded. <<<<<<fellow Pistons fan......

LnGrrrR
12-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Roy seemed like a class act. Hopefully he spent wisely, and he can live comfortably with his family for the rest of his life.

JamStone
12-16-2011, 04:50 PM
That's not the case in Portland with Roy. The guy in your example would have a court case for fraud if I sold him a car under the pretense that it was a classic. He would be an idiot, for sure, and a fool and his money are soon parted, but you basically created a hypothetical that doesn't, in any way, reflect the truth.

1. Paul Allen couldn't spend all his money even if he bought the NBA
2. The Blazers know Roy's condition better than Roy does
3. If Roy's worth was misrepresented, it was by the Blazers to the fans
4. The Blazers could have Yao Ming'ed Roy for a couple of years instead of amnestying him. They chose their path.

Sorry, but your attempt to portray a Tebow like honesty has actually made you look dishonest, as that last one was way out there. If you really believe your analogy is accurate, you need to do more research.

Fair enough. But for the record, when I proposed my scenario, I was not specifically relating it back to Roy and the Blazers. I'm just saying in general, when making a deal, I go on the premise that both sides are trying to make a fair deal for both sides. That's all.

As it does relate to Roy and the Blazers, I'm in no way saying the Blazers organization itself isn't accountable or not irresponsible in its own right. The Blazers absolutely are to blame as well. And as it benefits Roy, more power to him. Back to my initial posts on this topic, my issues are geared more towards what I remember at the time that Roy was campaigning and bitching in the media that he was worth a max extension. That's what I find pretentious, on the assumption that he knew his knees were shot and there was a good likelihood he wouldn't be able to live up to the extension for the life of the contract. There are also reports now that Pritchard didn't want to offer Roy that max extension because of the knees and he was basically overruled by Allen. Of course Allen can afford it and he has every right to pay a bad contract, make a bad deal if that's what he wants to do. His money, his team. I still think it was stupid. I mean, who was going to offer Roy a max extension, especially as what's been alluded that physicians checking him out would explain the risks involved with the condition of his knees? Roy had one more year left on his rookie contract. Why not wait to give him the extension? Why not offer less than the max extension? Poor business decision. And yes, both sides are to blame.

I also took issue with tlongII's notion that Roy is worth the remainder of the of his contract for "turning around the culture of the Blazer." I still contend that's horseshit. Those are my issues with it.

Your fucking retarded. <<<<<<fellow Pistons fan......

That's cool if you think that. Doesn't affect me more or less whether you're a Pistons fan or not. Don't know why that was necessary to add. You have your opinion. I'll have mine. Fine by me. You calling me retarded doesn't change my opinion. You being a Pistons fan certainly doesn't change it either. Good for you.

mavs>spurs
12-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't have a problem if a person wins the lottery and becomes a multi-millionaire, whether they "deserve" it or not. It doesn't have to do with being "deserving."

My criticism of Roy relates to negotiating and campaigning for a max contract if he knew about his knees. And I reiterate that's "if" he did in fact know at the time.

As for your feeling towards me... uh ok. I don't even know who you are. Who are you anyway. Don't recognize your screen name. Don't know your opinion on things. Shrugs. Even if I did, please allow me not to give a fuck what an anonymous sports forum poster thinks of me. You can "shit" all you want. I will continue not yo give a fuck. Sounds like a good plan.

Roy didn't know any more than the team doctors who evaluated him and xrayed his knees. They felt that he would be able to keep playing basketball or they wouldn't have resigned him. The big mistake was electing to remove his meniscus in an attempt to get him back quickly for the playoffs. Roy took their advice and it ended his career. It doesn't really get any simpler.

tlongII
12-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Fair enough. But for the record, when I proposed my scenario, I was not specifically relating it back to Roy and the Blazers. I'm just saying in general, when making a deal, I go on the premise that both sides are trying to make a fair deal for both sides. That's all.

As it does relate to Roy and the Blazers, I'm in no way saying the Blazers organization itself isn't accountable or not irresponsible in its own right. The Blazers absolutely are to blame as well. And as it benefits Roy, more power to him. Back to my initial posts on this topic, my issues are geared more towards what I remember at the time that Roy was campaigning and bitching in the media that he was worth a max extension. That's what I find pretentious, on the assumption that he knew his knees were shot and there was a good likelihood he wouldn't be able to live up to the extension for the life of the contract. There are also reports now that Pritchard didn't want to offer Roy that max extension because of the knees and he was basically overruled by Allen. Of course Allen can afford it and he has every right to pay a bad contract, make a bad deal if that's what he wants to do. His money, his team. I still think it was stupid. I mean, who was going to offer Roy a max extension, especially as what's been alluded that physicians checking him out would explain the risks involved with the condition of his knees? Roy had one more year left on his rookie contract. Why not wait to give him the extension? Why not offer less than the max extension? Poor business decision. And yes, both sides are to blame.

I also took issue with tlongII's notion that Roy is worth the remainder of the of his contract for "turning around the culture of the Blazer." I still contend that's horseshit. Those are my issues with it.

That's cool if you think that. Doesn't affect me more or less whether you're a Pistons fan or not. Don't know why that was necessary to add. You have your opinion. I'll have mine. Fine by me. You calling me retarded doesn't change my opinion. You being a Pistons fan certainly doesn't change it either. Good for you.

Jammie, you're not a Blazer fan and I still love you. However, you don't know what B-Roy meant to our fanbase. I think we'll retire his number. I know most fans think that's crazy, but that's just the way it is here.

DMC
12-16-2011, 08:17 PM

You have to make it relate to the topic. We can discuss morality and business ethics in the Club if that's your thing.

As it does relate to Roy and the Blazers, I'm in no way saying the Blazers organization itself isn't accountable or not irresponsible in its own right. The Blazers absolutely are to blame as well. And as it benefits Roy, more power to him. Back to my initial posts on this topic, my issues are geared more towards what I remember at the time that Roy was campaigning and bitching in the media that he was worth a max extension. That's what I find pretentious, on the assumption that he knew his knees were shot and there was a good likelihood he wouldn't be able to live up to the extension for the life of the contract. So? Do you think the owners listen to the media to make their decisions? Everyone thinks they are worth the max. To say you aren't is foolish.

There are also reports now that Pritchard didn't want to offer Roy that max extension because of the knees and he was basically overruled by Allen. Of course Allen can afford it and he has every right to pay a bad contract, make a bad deal if that's what he wants to do. His money, his team. I still think it was stupid. I mean, who was going to offer Roy a max extension, especially as what's been alluded that physicians checking him out would explain the risks involved with the condition of his knees? Roy had one more year left on his rookie contract. Why not wait to give him the extension? Why not offer less than the max extension? Poor business decision. And yes, both sides are to blame.
It was a stupid move in retrospect, but then Chris Paul might not play a game in LA, he might get injured. Same is true for Bynum and same is true for a lot of players. Captain Hindsight isn't really a superhero.

All you have to do is put TlongII there and it's instantly horseshit, but he believes it.

The problem here is that you are not debating the topic, or at least you don't seem to be. You've gone all over the road on this.

In short: I highly doubt Roy prefers to retire than play. It takes more than money to make a person an all world athlete.

LkrFan
12-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Sad...should have been STD-Wade, tbh.

DMC
12-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Sad...should have been STD-Wade, tbh.
Or Kobe Brapist.

LkrFan
12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Or Kobe Brapist.

Act like somebody, for once.

ducks
12-16-2011, 11:33 PM
retire roys number wow

DMC
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Act like somebody, for once.
Bend over, I'll act like your father.

mavsfan1000
12-17-2011, 01:52 AM
lol Roy.

icem
12-17-2011, 07:38 AM
sad... he could have been one of the greats.

yea hes gettin paid, but i guarantee you he would give it all back for a pair of healthy knees to play the game loves.

Giuseppe
12-17-2011, 09:37 AM
yea hes gettin paid, but i guarantee you he would give it all back for a pair of healthy knees to play the game loves.

bs.

resistanze
12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
bs.

Giuseppe.

DMC
12-17-2011, 01:16 PM
sad... he could have been one of the greats.

Give some of it back sure, but anyone here would take his knees and money over going back in on Monday to the same grind.

Fact.

lil_penny
12-17-2011, 06:15 PM
bs.

amen.

give me 60 million and shatter both my kneecaps with a crowbar and ill be good. :lol

Roy was a class act on and off the court, its going to be tough without him, lots of great memories and I wish him the best

Heath Ledger
12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
The teams are insured for such career ending injuries and you expect B Roy to feel guilty about it Jamstone? GTFO.

JamStone
12-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Never said Roy should feel guilty. I don't suggest he should return any money. If you read thoroughly, my criticism was of Roy back in 2009 during the negotiations for his extension and that if he knew how fragile his knees were bitching that he should get a max extension. He got his extension, and he should keep every last cent. That was never my criticism.