PDA

View Full Version : Reflecting on Mavs as season warms up.

Mav-elous Man
12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Looking back on last season, you can't point to one single thing and say, "That was THE reason the Mavs won the championship." As much as people would like to think it was one particular thing, it wasn't.

Think about it. (In no particular order)

1. Dirk. 'Nuff said.

2. Tyson Chandler holding down the defense in the middle.

3. Individual and team defense. With Chandler holding down the middle, you can't forget about the job Kidd, Marion, and Stevenson did on SG's and SF's in key moments of games throughout the playoffs. Plus the Mavs knew it wasn't their strength to play one on one defense thus using more zone defense than any other team in the league.

4. Depth. Deepest team in the league last year WITHOUT Caron pushing Marion to the bench. Imagine that. Barea, Terry, Peja, and Haywood all accepted their roles and played them well. Each one feeding off of another. Mavs bench consitently outscored opponents to keep the offense flowing when Dirk needed a rest. Terry finally played consitently well throughout the run.

5. Jason Kidd's ability to be a floor general.

6. Unselfish play on offense. No team got more shots off of assists than the Mavs. By not calling alot of set plays they were able to maintain a free flowing offense. With not alot of athleticism ball movement made up for it. No matter how athletic you are, a basketball pass is faster. Period.

7. Rick Carlisle. You can't underestimate the job he did coaching. He got all of his players on the same page, kept them there, and did not deviate from their plan or who they were.

8. Mark Cuban actully STFU!!! Still shocked about that one.... Now that I think about it, this may be THE REASON.

This was truly a team championship in every sense of the phrase.

tlongII
12-17-2011, 02:50 PM
9. Luck!

endrity
12-17-2011, 04:34 PM
9. Luck!

That's what Blazer fans keep thinking is the missing ingredient to their championship hopes.

Too bad it's been 3 decades and counting.

Giuseppe
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Chandler covering the entire end of the defensive court.

mavsfan1000
12-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Chandler covering the entire end of the defensive court.
Exaggeration.

Jodelo
12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
9. Luck!

You said the Blazers would beat the Mavericks, so shut up!

Giuseppe
12-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Exaggeration.

Some, but, he was incredible on the defensive end.

4>0rings
12-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Waiting till next season to repeat

DMC
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Chandler was the missing ingredient. That's really not even debatable.

tlongII
12-17-2011, 07:44 PM
8zOiqQ0g3Ng

mavsfan1000
12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Chandler was the missing ingredient. That's really not even debatable.
Just like Odom was the ingredient for the Lakers. Chandler is overrated here. Everyone played better than they usually do.

mavs>spurs
12-17-2011, 07:49 PM
^I wish you'd post better than you usually do.

mavsfan1000
12-17-2011, 07:51 PM
^I wish you'd post better than you usually do.
Watch the games and you would know what I meant. Chandler didn't do that much.

DMC
12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Dirk claims otherwise.

Mav-elous Man
12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
9. Luck!

Every team has to have at least a little bit of luck to win the championship. Whether its being fortunate enough to stay healthy, your opponents getting hurt, or encountering favorable matchups throughout the playoffs amongst other things.

So yes it did take a little bit of luck.

Mav-elous Man
12-17-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm not going to say he didn't do anything, but I agree that he didn't do as much as people try to make it seem. It's as I said in another thread, Chandler is replaceable. Better than average but replaceable.

DMC
12-17-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm not going to say he didn't do anything, but I agree that he didn't do as much as people try to make it seem. It's as I said in another thread, Chandler is replaceable. Better than average but replaceable.
It's not what he did or did not do. It's what he allowed and did not allow.

The Mavs weren't worlds away from the ring to begin with, but Chandler closed the gap and made it so Dirk could operate on offense and not worry about double teams.

Those who dismiss his contributions in that area are blind, stupid or both.

Mav-elous Man
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm not saying he didn't contribute. They wouldn't have won it without him. But he is replaceable. He's not Shaq or Bill Russell for crying out loud. Lets have a little perspective people.

mavsfan1000
12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes Chandler does what a center is supposed to do. Not groundbreaking here. Haywood does some of the same things actually.

mavs>spurs
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM

You're a fucking idot and bring down the value of this site.

mavsfan1000
12-18-2011, 12:14 AM
You're a fucking idot and bring down the value of this site.
What about you?

Kyle Orton
12-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Yh> bulls fan

u4lakers14
12-18-2011, 12:34 AM
you guys are nuts.

the single reason the mavs are world champs.

dirk (4th qtr comeback in game 2)

without it, mavs aint champs, period

mavsfan1000
12-18-2011, 12:36 AM
They make it sound like Chandler is Mutombo or something. Not even close.

Giuseppe
12-18-2011, 12:37 AM
They make it sound like Chandler is Mutombo or something. Not even close.

He's The Reason.

u4lakers14
12-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Yes Chandler does what a center is supposed to do. Not groundbreaking here. Haywood does some of the same things actually.

and i agree with that.

chandler used solid (not spectacular) play to cash in on free agency in a year that was weak as far as free agent centers go. i'd be more worried about losing j.j.'s penetration in crunch time than losing chandler.

another thing you guys were lucky on was chandler's health all year. you watch, he will battle injuries again this year.

m>s
12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
TC did a brilliant job with em mavs to say the least but i also admit he's a bit overrated. a decent C used to be the missing ingredient i think TC just filled in the right role at a right time, doesn't mean other centers (dalembert for example) couldn't have done as good if given a chance. TC's contribution to our team was HUGE and we should all thank him for what he did even though he's gone, but the player TC by individual is just a top10 C at finest imho

Mav-elous Man
12-18-2011, 11:36 AM
TC did a brilliant job with em mavs to say the least but i also admit he's a bit overrated. a decent C used to be the missing ingredient i think TC just filled in the right role at a right time, doesn't mean other centers (dalembert for example) couldn't have done as good if given a chance. TC's contribution to our team was HUGE and we should all thank him for what he did even though he's gone, but the player TC by individual is just a top10 C at finest imho

Agreed.

Giuseppe
12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Agreed.

You got no other choice. You won't act like somebody and tell the truth. So you run, like this. You keep your head down & you commiss to whistlin' past the graveyard.

You're a child.

Mav-elous Man
12-18-2011, 07:39 PM
What "truth" won't I tell Giuseppe? What exactly am I running from? Please elaborate.

Giuseppe
12-18-2011, 07:49 PM
What "truth" won't I tell Giuseppe? What exactly am I running from? Please elaborate.

I already told you. Mav-. I'm not going thru it again.

Mav-elous Man
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Typical Giuseppe. Accepting his opinion as "truth".