PDA

View Full Version : It's over...

ElNono
12-17-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/8/Thread-Crap-Emo.jpg

Bill_Brasky
12-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Let's just get it out of the way shall we?

Fuck RJ

Fuck Bonner

Fuck Pop

Blow it up.

ElNono
12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
You know a thread like this is required after the first preseason game loss, tbh

lefty
12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
But

but

Pop is not overrated

DMC
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Let's just get it out of the way shall we?

Fuck RJ

Fuck Bonner

Fuck Pop

Blow it up.
If it's over, isn't it blown up already? Why do you or anyone else care about the payroll?

If you are afraid we won't get a 1st overall pick, then it must not be over.

ElNono
12-17-2011, 10:45 PM
If it's over, isn't it blown up already?

nope

Bill_Brasky
12-17-2011, 10:52 PM
If it's over, isn't it blown up already? Why do you or anyone else care about the payroll?

If you are afraid we won't get a 1st overall pick, then it must not be over.

lol bro I was being sarcastic. Hence the "let's go ahead and get this stupid bullshit out of the way"

Hemotivo
12-17-2011, 10:58 PM
!

vander
12-17-2011, 11:05 PM
it's been over since '08

blind idiots

slick'81
12-17-2011, 11:38 PM
well once i saw bonner/blair together i just turned the tv off tonight

underdawg
12-17-2011, 11:40 PM
it's been over since '08

blind idiots

...says the Bonner lover

DMC
12-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Been saying this for a while, trade your assets while you can, because no one wants to play in SA.
So... what are you trading for, cars?

NRHector
12-17-2011, 11:41 PM
well once i saw bonner/blair together i just turned the tv off tonight

are you fucking kidding? that shit again? if he's doing it right that means only 1 thing, he's going to do it during regular season

DMC
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
lol bro I was being sarcastic. Hence the "let's go ahead and get this stupid bullshit out of the way"

I know, I was more responding to the thread title and making a point.

The "blow it up" cry is ignorant (even though I've said it myself a few times).

We aren't going to get another Tim Duncan. Look at the 1st overall picks since Tim. Who would have gotten the Spurs there? Name one player.

DMC
12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
nope
Explain

underdawg
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Look it's not over - Spurs should make the playoffs and might catch some breaks to advance to the 2nd round. That said, as the Big 3 continue to decline and the FO continues to show inadequacy in acquiring useful players the Spur fan should be happy with making the playoffs and not really expect more.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that Pop plays a major role in player management. I think it's evident that RC/Pop have not been very good in the past 4-5 years of putting together a solid contender (Spurs were very fortunate in '07 and didn't have enough ammo when Manu went down in '08).

Also, whether Pop's completely changed his ways from earlier seasons or the Big 3 were just that good, time has proven that he's not a good enough coach to overcome a lack of talent to go along with an aging Big 3. Maybe there's no such coach in the world, but after Duncan retires hopefully Pop will as well.

It's just a preseason game, but the sting of the past few playoff runs are hard to forget.

Bill_Brasky
12-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Shocking how spoiled we've become tbh

cutewizard
12-18-2011, 12:18 AM
we just need one more big, and a back up, and we can contend

be positive fellas

cutewizard
12-18-2011, 12:19 AM
hope comes from Splitter, Leonard, Anderson, Neal, Cj......

cutewizard
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Leonard could someday be a Defensive Team ALL NBA awardee....

he can play

Splitter just needs more playing time, more touches, more plays...

underdawg
Shocking how spoiled we've become tbh

you're probably right and I should probably just shut up and remiss about the past, but I can't help but think that the only thing that's spoiled is the opportunity to get Timmy another ring.

cutewizard
i wonder why the Spurs are not getting back up bigs though

ElNono
12-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Explain

Blowing it up means getting rid of your big contracts and start over.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 12:26 AM
We aren't going to get another Tim Duncan. Look at the 1st overall picks since Tim. Who would have gotten the Spurs there? Name one player.

Arguably...
- Dwight Howard (1 NBA Final)
- Lebron James (2 NBA Finals)

They're still young though...

Doesn't mean that if the Spurs hit the lottery they'll land talent like that though

Josepatches_
12-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Yes,surely we are not going to win the NBA.....but what kind of fan are you? You must support the team in the bad times too,not only when we win the championships.

But yes...fuck everyone in this team.......lol

Sometimes I'm sure Duncan was a problem because he makes some people believe it's easy to win......

Josepatches_
12-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Arguably...

Doesn't mean that if the Spurs hit the lottery they'll land talent like that though

Howard? :lol he's not half of good TD was

James? Ok so you only can name one player as good as TD was in 15 years

GSH
12-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Arguably...

Blake Griffen?

And you can't restrict it to just "since Duncan". It hasn't been that long since Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Shaq, Chris Webber. If Yao could have stayed healthy. Kidd, Mourning, Gary Payton - to name a few #2 picks. Number Three picks - Deron Williams, Carmello, Pau, Michael Jordan, Grant Hill (another injury tragedy), Dominuque, McHale.

And this next season promises to be a very good draft. Not that it's a guarantee. But it's likely that several very good players will come from it.

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Arguably...

Neither of those guys rung. That's the "there" I was referring to.

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Blowing it up means getting rid of your big contracts and start over.

The "start over" thing is so generic it almost doesn't even register.

Explain how you start over. Do you make James Anderson your star player? Do you offer that bigger money to league failures like Kevin Love and maybe a Gasol brother and hope you can get back to where you were, the playoffs?

I don't get it.

I realize we aren't contending for a championship, but the alternative could be Timberwolves ball for 10 more years.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Neither of those guys rung. That's the "there" I was referring to.

Well, we just have differing views of what qualifies. Duncan didn't take us "there" every season either. He did make us contenders for a while.

And personally, that's what I would like. Knowing that you have a real shot at a championship.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 01:39 AM

Explain how you start over. Do you make James Anderson your star player? Do you offer that bigger money to league failures like Kevin Love and maybe a Gasol brother and hope you can get back to where you were, the playoffs?

I don't get it.

I realize we aren't contending for a championship, but the alternative could be Timberwolves ball for 10 more years.

You said being done was the same as blowing it up. It isn't.

Blowing it up means getting rid of our core and starting to build a new, younger core. Whether it might be better or worse, nobody knows. It's obvious that sooner rather than later the Spurs will undergo that process.

I already stated I have no problem having this core have a farewell tour, contenders or not.

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Blake Griffen?

And you can't restrict it to just "since Duncan". It hasn't been that long since Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Shaq, Chris Webber. If Yao could have stayed healthy. Kidd, Mourning, Gary Payton - to name a few #2 picks. Number Three picks - Deron Williams, Carmello, Pau, Michael Jordan, Grant Hill (another injury tragedy), Dominuque, McHale.

And this next season promises to be a very good draft. Not that it's a guarantee. But it's likely that several very good players will come from it.
Blake Griffin is a hopeful. Do you really think he's going to take the Clippers to a ring? Do you think his skillset is that good?

What's more likely to happen first:

a) Blake takes Clippers to a ring
b) Blake goes to another team

David was a great 1st overall pick, and Tim was outstanding. David with 10 years of average + players couldn't get to the Finals. Tim came along and took us over the top.

Lebron couldn't take us to a ring and neither could Howard. Both of these guys lack the instinct to be champions.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Lebron couldn't take us to a ring and neither could Howard. Both of these guys lack the instinct to be champions.

You just don't know. Maybe with a better coach or better pieces around them?

They definitely have the talent to take a team and make them contenders. That's what you look for when you look at franchise/star talent in this league.

A single player never wins championships. Kobe had Gasol/Shaq. Tim had DRob/Manu/TP/Bowen... and so on

GSH
12-18-2011, 01:43 AM

I don't get it.

It's not that complicated. The Spurs have a core in the Big 3. You either spend money like a drunken sailor, and surround them with high quality support players (Lakers, Celtics, Mavs). Or you break up the Big 3, use the trads(s) to acquire some high quality pieces, and tank a season or two to acquire a special player from the draft. And, yeah, James Anderson might start during the tank season(s).

The half-life of not quite committing to either strategy is a recipe for disaster.

Blake Griffin is a hopeful. Do you really think he's going to take the Clippers to a ring? Do you think his skillset is that good?

Griffen getting a ring will have a lot to do with their FO. His skill set is that good. But then that's what we're talking about here, isn't it?

There have been a lot of franchise-level players in the first three picks of the draft. If you mean they have to rise to exactly the level of Duncan, then it's a ridiculous discussion to begin with. He's the best to ever play a position. No - we aren't going to find a Duncan clone.

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
you're probably right and I should probably just shut up and remiss about the past, but I can't help but think that the only thing that's spoiled is the opportunity to get Timmy another ring.
I get tired of reading that bullshit line about getting Timmy another ring. What, is Timmy crippled and can we call him Tiny Tim?

Timmy needs to get his own fucking ring. There's no reason for any franchise to set out to get a ring for any one player who already has 4 rings.

If Timmy was still viable, we wouldn't be sitting around talking about getting him a ring. If he could hit his FTs and not get dominated in the post by Zach fucking Randolph, he might have a better chance at a ring.

Sorry, I thank Tim for all he's done and wish him well, but he's not the team mascot cancer kid. He's a multimillionaire player who's got one of the biggest salaries in the NBA. I don't feel the need to charity him a ring. If he wanted it that bad he would accept less money and bring in real help.

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:52 AM
It's not that complicated. The Spurs have a core in the Big 3. You either spend money like a drunken sailor, and surround them with high quality support players (Lakers, Celtics, Mavs). Or you break up the Big 3, use the trads(s) to acquire some high quality pieces, and tank a season or two to acquire a special player from the draft. And, yeah, James Anderson might start during the tank season(s).

The half-life of not quite committing to either strategy is a recipe for disaster.

Griffen getting a ring will have a lot to do with their FO. His skill set is that good. But then that's what we're talking about here, isn't it?

There have been a lot of franchise-level players in the first three picks of the draft. If you mean they have to rise to exactly the level of Duncan, then it's a ridiculous discussion to begin with. He's the best to ever play a position. No - we aren't going to find a Duncan clone.

Blake's no where near Tim's skill set. He's an athletic monster, but he cannot do what Tim could do. Tim would have gotten the Clippers to the playoffs, even with that squad, in his younger years.

No way rookie Blake gets the same squad to the Finals that Tim got there. Anything else is speculation because he's played one year.

If blowing up the team means you lose money in ticket sales, why would you do it? Are fans going to go out and buy Anderson jerseys? Are they going to re-up to see D league players?

I understand it in terms of "how to win a ring eventually" but the NBA is entertainment. It's not very entertaining to be a bottom rung team hoping to get back to the playoffs in a few years with some hyped up 1st year college dropout.

And the talk about getting a new coach... look around. Want Mike Brown, Del Negro, Van Gundy? How about Larry Brown comes back?

Exactly.

Some don't remember those years.

GSH
12-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I get tired of reading that bullshit line about getting Timmy another ring. What, is Timmy crippled and can we call him Tiny Tim?

Timmy needs to get his own fucking ring. There's no reason for any franchise to set out to get a ring for any one player who already has 4 rings.

If Timmy was still viable, we wouldn't be sitting around talking about getting him a ring. If he could hit his FTs and not get dominated in the post by Zach fucking Randolph, he might have a better chance at a ring.

Sorry, I thank Tim for all he's done and wish him well, but he's not the team mascot cancer kid. He's a multimillionaire player who's got one of the biggest salaries in the NBA. I don't feel the need to charity him a ring. If he wanted it that bad he would accept less money and bring in real help.

This is one of those nights where I'm just going to wind up going fucking postal on one of these ridiculous posts. I'm going to sleep now.

The truth is, you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'... I'm tryin real hard to be the Shepherd.
http://cdn3.hark.com/images/000/060/638/60638/original.jpg

DMC
12-18-2011, 01:54 AM
This is one of those nights where I'm just going to wind up going fucking postal on one of these ridiculous posts. I'm going to sleep now.

The truth is, you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'... I'm tryin real hard to be the Shepherd.
http://cdn3.hark.com/images/000/060/638/60638/original.jpg
If you cannot make sense, you are probably best served to quit.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 01:55 AM

Tim has known physical problems that, over time, causes his production to really diminish. He still is a great PF, but he needs help to reduce his workload so the team can take advantage of extended production from him.
The rationale of "help for Tim" is entirely based on the premise it would "help the Spurs" in the long run, perhaps, to get another ring.

DMC
12-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Tim has known physical problems that, over time, causes his production to really diminish. He still is a great PF, but he needs help to reduce his workload so the team can take advantage of extended production from him.
The rationale of "help for Tim" is entirely based on the premise it would "help the Spurs" in the long run, perhaps, to get another ring.

I understand that basic premise, but a 22mil a year guy isn't going to get much help in a small market. That's why James, Wade and Bosh took 15 or so each, so they could get decent help.

I'm not suggesting Tim do that. I am saying that he has to know his salary is the deciding factor. It is what it is.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 02:07 AM
I understand that basic premise, but a 22mil a year guy isn't going to get much help in a small market. That's why James, Wade and Bosh took 15 or so each, so they could get decent help.

I'm not suggesting Tim do that. I am saying that he has to know his salary is the deciding factor. It is what it is.

Well, you simply can't pay somebody $22 million with the current CBA. Back when Tim got his contract, that was fair value for him. The Spurs actually did try to make an impact move when they traded for RJ. It just didn't pan out, and unfortunately, it's very difficult to flip that contract now.

DMC
12-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Well, you simply can't pay somebody $22 million with the current CBA. Back when Tim got his contract, that was fair value for him. The Spurs actually did try to make an impact move when they traded for RJ. It just didn't pan out, and unfortunately, it's very difficult to flip that contract now.

If it was profitable to make a bigger splash, the Spurs would have amnestied RJ's ass and brought in some one who gives a shit.

Otherwise, we are in agreement here.

GSH
12-18-2011, 02:20 AM

You know so fucking little, but you talk in such absolutes. NO, no, just no. The reason those guys took "15 or so each" is so that they could all go to the same team. They didn't do shit to leave Miami room to sign "decent help". That would have required them taking maybe $12M each, and they wouldn't play for that. Period. They took 15 solely because it was the most that Miami could pay, and still get all three of them.

And Miami BARELY cleared up enough room to be able to acquire all three of those guys. (Even at that, it required the NBA to announce that the BRI was unexpectedly large, and the cap would be somewhat higher than anticipated. Not that they helped the deal or anything....) Look it up before you give another one of your smarmy answers. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Now I'm going to bed. I guess I'm not the shepherd.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 02:23 AM
If it was profitable to make a bigger splash, the Spurs would have amnestied RJ's ass and brought in some one who gives a shit.

Otherwise, we are in agreement here.

It's water under the bridge now. But I do still think it cost the Spurs more money to give him the contract they did than paying him his last season on his old deal. The Spurs would be under the cap now, and would've had the full MLE without having to worry about paying off the $34 million left on his deal.

Then again, I'm not convinced the Spurs really think they need to improve the frontline.

DMC
12-18-2011, 02:25 AM
You know so fucking little, but you talk in such absolutes. NO, no, just no. The reason those guys took "15 or so each" is so that they could all go to the same team. They didn't do shit to leave Miami room to sign "decent help". That would have required them taking maybe $12M each, and they wouldn't play for that. Period. They took 15 solely because it was the most that Miami could pay, and still get all three of them.

And Miami BARELY cleared up enough room to be able to acquire all three of those guys. (Even at that, it required the NBA to announce that the BRI was unexpectedly large, and the cap would be somewhat higher than anticipated. Not that they helped the deal or anything....) Look it up before you give another one of your smarmy answers. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Now I'm going to bed. I guess I'm not the shepherd.

If Tim wants everyone to play on the same team, it's the same concept, so aside from your "nuh uh" and your meltdown rant, what did you just say?

Nothing I haven't already said.

It boils down to the fact that Tim's salary (along with others) creates a stagnant environment where the team cannot improve without finding hidden talent for cheap. That's where Miami would have been if they didn't get Bosh and paid Lebron the max.

DMC
12-18-2011, 02:27 AM
It's water under the bridge now. But I do still think it cost the Spurs more money to give him the contract they did than paying him his last season on his old deal. The Spurs would be under the cap now, and would've had the full MLE without having to worry about paying off the $34 million left on his deal.

Then again, I'm not convinced the Spurs really think they need to improve the frontline.
That last statement could be the heart of the issue.

If they don't feel that way, I wonder what they see that we don't, or what they don't see that we do.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 02:39 AM

If they don't feel that way, I wonder what they see that we don't, or what they don't see that we do.

I don't know for sure. I suspect they think Thiago can really grow to be the Dice replacement, and for some reason I think Pop has a fascination with Bonner not unlike he had with Finley. He wouldn't be the first or last coach to fall in love with subpar talent. The difference is that a guy like Phil Jackson didn't give Luke Walton that much run.

underdawg
12-18-2011, 02:44 AM

Timmy did about as good as he could last year given the mileage he has on him, but that's not the point and I shouldn't even have to explain this to you. The commitment of the FO to winning was an understatement during negotiations with Duncan. That's why he took less money, so the Spurs could bring in players - remember the 2010 plan? The FO failed and the window is most likely shut.

DMC
12-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Timmy did about as good as he could last year given the mileage he has on him, but that's not the point and I shouldn't even have to explain this to you. The commitment of the FO to winning was an understatement during negotiations with Duncan. That's why he took less money, so the Spurs could bring in players - remember the 2010 plan? The FO failed and the window is most likely shut.

Sorry, but he is ultimately responsible for his results on the court, especially as the face of the franchise. He gets the credit for the rings, he gets the credit for the losses.

DMC
12-18-2011, 04:36 AM
I don't know for sure. I suspect they think Thiago can really grow to be the Dice replacement, and for some reason I think Pop has a fascination with Bonner not unlike he had with Finley. He wouldn't be the first or last coach to fall in love with subpar talent. The difference is that a guy like Phil Jackson didn't give Luke Walton that much run.

Yeah but Phil never coached a team who's owner had a lower net worth than it's star player.

Robz4000
12-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah but Phil never coached a team who's owner had a lower net worth than it's star player.
Last I checked, Jerry Reinsdorf's net worth was half what MJ's was. In all seriousness though, I'm positive the FO really does think our front line is good enough, and seeks to blame other positions. I mean, what else justifies a Bonner/Blair combo on the floor after the abuse they took last year?

rascal
12-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Agree the Spurs need to either go all in for a last title run this year or start the rebuild process by breaking up their top players( trades for draft picks and/or young players).

Muser
12-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Why would the Spurs want the draft picks from OKC? They're going to be in the top 4 this year.

spurs10
12-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Amen. What could they be thinking? I've heard them say we need help on the frontline. I keep hoping Monday's Dice announcement will make things a bit more clear, but one thing is absolutely clear- we need help for Tim and Tiago.

ElNono
12-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry, but he is ultimately responsible for his results on the court, especially as the face of the franchise. He gets the credit for the rings, he gets the credit for the losses.

That's no excuse. Jackson didn't have a problem playing serviceable low-salary players (Barnes, Shannon Brown, etc).

DMC
12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
You dont think a team like Okl who has alot of assets and draft picks would be willing to give us a good package for TD? Serge, Collison, Harding, Maynor, Draft picks.....That would go a long way to starting to biuld.

No.

What about Washington, they want to be a playoff team asap. Dont you think they could use a savy vet sg, like Manu??? To Wash for picks and a young player or two.
No.

TP- Think portland would like to have him? What about Tor where there is alot of french fans. TP to Torn for Ed Davis, future picks, cash and a bad contract.
No.

SA is not gonna get FA to come unless we are the only team with cap space. See Jason Kidd...........Even now, how many role players turned us down this off season???

The only way to keep a good team is through the draft, and that comes by getting high picks and drafting well. Next years draft is very strong up front. We could get 2 very good bigs if we can get a couple top 12 picks in trades.

Or just let the ship sink, and finish with the 6th seed, and early out to wrap up TDs career with us.We are a small market team. We got incredibly lucky in the draft x 2, and even luckier to have those two lucky draft picks overlap. Both picks weren't just great players, they were great people, and neither had a noticeable ego.

Good people who could put their egos aside wanted to play along side these guys.

What's the odds of that ever happening again?

DMC
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
That's no excuse. Jackson didn't have a problem playing serviceable low-salary players (Barnes, Shannon Brown, etc).

Jackson's methods are to play the low salary guys, run the triangle... *and have overwhelming odds stacked in your favor.

That's like saying "work out daily and eat right, then take this pill and you will lose weight".

ElNono
12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Jackson's methods are to play the low salary guys, run the triangle... *and have overwhelming odds stacked in your favor.

That's like saying "work out daily and eat right, then take this pill and you will lose weight".

Ehh, I don't disagree. But having the better odds include playing your best talent. There's no way a guy like Phil sits Splitter because he loves Bonner. Much like he didn't sit down Odom because he loved Walton.

DMC
12-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Ehh, I don't disagree. But having the better odds include playing your best talent. There's no way a guy like Phil sits Splitter because he loves Bonner. Much like he didn't sit down Odom because he loved Walton.
Yes, and Pop's best talent is Tim, Tony and Manu. Everyone else is lower than mid level talent. Phil had Kobe and Shaq, and there rest were just traffic cones for defenders to go around to get to one of the two listed.

Phil also had some good role players however. We've had good role players in the past. We don't really have that now. We have "maybes". Brent Barry, even now, could give us what Bonner gives us. Blair is a basket case, or so it seems. Our only real bitch is with the minutes Tiago got last season. I agree he should have gotten more, but let's see how he does before we can know if, in retrospect, Pop saw what we didn't.

therealtruth
12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, and Pop's best talent is Tim, Tony and Manu. Everyone else is lower than mid level talent. Phil had Kobe and Shaq, and there rest were just traffic cones for defenders to go around to get to one of the two listed.

Phil also had some good role players however. We've had good role players in the past. We don't really have that now. We have "maybes". Brent Barry, even now, could give us what Bonner gives us. Blair is a basket case, or so it seems. Our only real bitch is with the minutes Tiago got last season. I agree he should have gotten more, but let's see how he does before we can know if, in retrospect, Pop saw what we didn't.

Pop answered that question when he panicked in game 3 and played Splitter.

DMC
12-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Pop answered that question when he panicked in game 3 and played Splitter.

We'll see.

Giuseppe
12-18-2011, 11:37 PM
:violin