PDA

View Full Version : Robertas Javtokas

rapliketp
12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
So Ty Lawson played pro ball in Lithuania this fall. After one game, he walked into the locker room by the showers.

“I was like, ‘What’s that smell?’ ” Lawson recalled.

He then spotted his teammate, Robertas Javtokas, standing under the shower … smoking a cigarette.

“I look over, he’s puffing and says, ‘Oh, what’s up Ty?’ ” Lawson said with a laugh.

This Robertas guy was quite a character, providing the Nuggets point guard with some of his favorite memories of European pro ball during the NBA lockout. He’s also a very talented player, drafted by the Spurs in the second round in 2001. As for his personality, Lawson loved it.

“I remember one game, I threw him a full-court pass,” Lawson said. “He was by himself and he just drops it. So we go back to the bench – I’m mad. Dead-serious mad. And he says: ‘I must have put too much butter on my bread this morning.’ And that turned my whole mood around. We were down 10 in the fourth quarter and I just started laughing.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2011/12/16/ty-lawson%E2%80%99s-goofiest-teammate/5778/

Juggity
12-18-2011, 09:53 PM
:huh

I don't remember it going down like that. I remember that when the 2006 summer started, Presti and Pop were hyping up Javtokas. They all but said he'd be brought over. There was no anger or anything concerning Javtokas after his 2005 decision. Hell, he even came to town during the 2005-06 season.

What happened was in that summer the Spurs offered him the LLE and he wanted more money. The Spurs said they were going to look at another big to bring along with him and Javtokas didn't want that. Either Javtokas or his agent (I forget who said it) said that he didn't want to have to vie for minutes with another big. The Spurs ignored that request and signed both Elson and Butler to offersheets.

If Elson or Butler had been matched, there was a chance the Spurs were going back to Javtokas ... but he was pissed by then. However, a two-year fully guaranteed contract for the LLE for Javtokas was fair. He could have come over for that money but he wanted some MLE action.

I'm not sure if that bridge is burned but I haven't heard anything from either side to indicate there is still interest.

That was from timvp in 2008. Doubt much has changed since then.

Spurtacus
12-18-2011, 10:18 PM
He’s also a very talented player, drafted by the Spurs in the second round in 2001

Still talking about him 11 years later. He hasn't played a second in a Spurs uni. :lol

Dex
12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
How the hell do you smoke a cigarette in the shower? :huh

bigfan
12-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Hell, hes probably still better than every big guy we have other than TD.

cheguevara
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
damn that is a nice avatar dude. just watched Aguirre 2 days ago

Man In Black
12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
You would think that since the Spurs paid for his leg surgery that got him back to playing pro hoops after crushing it during a motorcycle accident, that he should feel a little indebted to play for the San Antonio discount.
But it would seem, he's not.

Nathan Explosion
12-19-2011, 02:43 PM
You would think that since the Spurs paid for his leg surgery that got him back to playing pro hoops after crushing it during a motorcycle accident, that he should feel a little indebted to play for the San Antonio discount.
But it would seem, he's not.

With the European market on the verge of collapse, the advantage of staying in Europe (more money on a stronger currency) may be gone and Euro players make start flocking to the NBA again.