PDA

View Full Version : So...they are looking

Spursfan092120
12-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Spurs don’t want just anybody at center

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/18/spurs-don’t-want-just-anybody-at-center/

Ice009
12-19-2011, 01:50 AM
You can't post that whole article here as the site owners of Spurstalk have been contacted before about articles from that website being posted here.

Anyway, to me it sounds like the Spurs are doing jack shit and have nothing in the works, or they tried and struck out.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I think what's a little more concerning is that they are looking for a CENTER and not a POWER FORWARD. I don't consider Splitter to be a PF - his game resembles more of a C.

If the Spurs are actually looking for a C, it needs to be someone who scores (like Dwight Howard). Otherwise, you can count on 20 pts or less from the frontcourt scorers and TP, MG and RJ will have to put up 20 a piece per game.

Libri
12-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Tiago is still a mystery to Pop. :rolleyes

Spursfan092120
12-19-2011, 02:06 AM
You can't post that whole article here as the site owners of Spurstalk have been contacted before about articles from that website being posted here.

my bad..forgot about that...fixed.

spurs10
12-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Yes, it's a PF we need....Tim and Tiago have the center position pretty well covered.

SenorSpur
12-19-2011, 02:21 AM
And if a young player must be sacrificed in the process, my guess is that it would be Blair.

Bruno
12-19-2011, 02:21 AM
If Spurs were desperate to add a quality bigman, they would never say it. Saying it would put Spurs in a weak situation towards free agents and other teams (to do a trade). It's all about leverage.

What Spurs will do with their frontcourt is still a mystery. They can very well sign a FA today or do a trade today before Dice deadline.

spurs10
12-19-2011, 02:30 AM
If Spurs were desperate to add a quality bigman, they would never say it. Saying it would put Spurs in a weak situation towards free agents and other teams (to do a trade). It's all about leverage.

What Spurs will do with their frontcourt is still a mystery. They can very well sign a FA today or do a trade today before Dice deadline.
Agreed. It will be an interesting day. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Ice009
12-19-2011, 02:52 AM

What time do they have to make a decision on McDyess by?

Bruno
12-19-2011, 03:28 AM
What time do they have to make a decision on McDyess by?

It's today but the hour is unknown. This deadline can too be push back if Dice is fine with it. Dice has still agreed to do that twice.

Ice009
12-19-2011, 04:16 AM
It's today but the hour is unknown. This deadline can too be push back if Dice is fine with it. Dice has still agreed to do that twice.

So it's completely up to Dice? The NBA has no say in it?

Bruno
12-19-2011, 04:26 AM
So it's completely up to Dice? The NBA has no say in it?

Yep, it's between Dice and Spurs. They just need to sign an addendum to his contract stating the new deadline and then send it to the league office.

There is too a NBA deadline after when contracts become fully guaranteed for the year. It's usually in early January but it has been pushed back by one month this year because of the lockout. Spurs won't be able to push Dice's deadline past February 7th because of that rule.

Fabbs
12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Tiago is still a mystery to Pop. :rolleyes
CIA NumbNutts still talks like he will only play Splitter because he has to.
“We haven’t really seen Tiago much, so he’s kind of a new player this year,” Popovich said. “He’s going to give us a lot of minutes we have to have, because of the quick schedule.”

Maddog
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
“We haven’t really seen Tiago much, so he’s kind of a new player this year,” Popovich said. “He’s going to give us a lot of minutes we have to have, because of the quick schedule.”

I was underwhelmed with Tiago on Saturday night.
Yes it was preseason, but he is not exactly the defensive stopper needed.

8FOR!3
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
So you're saying...There is a chance?

SenorSpur
12-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Yep, it's between Dice and Spurs. They just need to sign an addendum to his contract stating the new deadline and then send it to the league office.

There is too a NBA deadline after when contracts become fully guaranteed for the year. It's usually in early January but it has been pushed back by one month this year because of the lockout. Spurs won't be able to push Dice's deadline past February 7th because of that rule.

So I presume this is why and how the date was originally pushed out to today, the 19th?

loveforthegame
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Bruno, thanks for the info on the dates and situation between the Spurs and Dice.

It's nice to know they don't have to rush and get something done today but it sucks knowing we may have to wait until February for them to decide on something. Sadly if they can't get something done by now they probably won't. Terrible having to wait like this.

TimmehC
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
The fact that they're looking for a 5 rather than a 4 is mind-boggling. Seriously, wtf.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
The fact that they're looking for a 5 rather than a 4 is mind-boggling. Seriously, wtf.

See my post above (#3).

silverblk mystix
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM

4 rings....

jjktkk
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Ajincia? Fesenko? are you telling me they are not better than Bonner inside?

Probably not, but you should check one of your sources just to be sure.

jeebus
12-19-2011, 08:01 PM
lol Steve Novak

How sad of a player do you have to be a big man and lose a job on a team that desperately needs big men.

TD 21
12-19-2011, 08:03 PM

I guess the rest of the league can't look at their pathetic front court and realize that they only have four bigs, three of which have severe limitations. They had little leverage to begin with and they have even less now that they wasted their best trade asset.

It's not at all a mystery. We've seen this movie before, only last season it was backup SF that was the issue. Look for them to rotate a bunch of past their prime veterans/D-Leaguers before finally settling on one. Watch them claim Cousin if/when he's cut by the Rockets.

Hoops Czar
12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I was underwhelmed with Tiago on Saturday night.
Yes it was preseason, but he is not exactly the defensive stopper needed.

He's just underwhelming. Preseason has nothing to do with it.

Russo21
12-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Hmm McDyess officially retired and we signed and released Novak after 4 days? Sounds like something is brewing...?

Ice009
12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Hmm McDyess officially retired and we signed and released Novak after 4 days? Sounds like something is brewing...?

ahh no it doesn't.

Russo21
12-19-2011, 10:29 PM
And Kenyon Martin has just been released from his duties in China hmm ?

Hoops Czar
12-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Are you serious? Novak is a joke. He should have been released. Or in RC's mind, maybe they're trying to save money and clear a roster spot for the off-chance Howard will sign for the league minimum next season.

Russo21
12-19-2011, 10:30 PM
ahh no it doesn't.

Think positive FFS

benefactor
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Be serious...for once.

Ice009
12-19-2011, 10:34 PM

You're better off just going to K-mart and buying some shit, forget about signing a big man ;).

swaggerjackson
12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
The most annoying thing about the entire offseason is reading about us going after Butler, Battier (maybe), Grant Hill, Josh Howard, Vince Carter (maybe), Dunleavy (maybe) but never are we linked to any bigs. I know FO is smarter than me and I know they are trying to bolster our frontcourt but god is it annoying that our main target was a small forward. We lost because we have no one beside Tim. I know bigs are rare and expensive but you don't win without them. We needed to bite the bullet and give up some assets to get one. Are there really enough minutes for Manu, Neal, Jefferson, Anderson, and Leonard at the wing? No one of the them will be the odd man out even though all seem to be suitable players. So package one and Blair and a pick and cash if it takes it and get a servicable big. Not dwight howard just someone of consequence. Jesus our biggest weakness is made weaker by the offseason with the loss of Dice. I know they are waiting for the season to get under way but seriously it is frustrating.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM
They arent looking at shit. They say they dont want just anybody, we anybody is better than no body. Lay up line and dunk city if we dont get a 7 ftr in here that can change some shots......or a shot blocking for like T Thomas.Is that what your sources said?

TD 21
12-20-2011, 08:30 PM
The most annoying thing about the entire offseason is reading about us going after Butler, Battier (maybe), Grant Hill, Josh Howard, Vince Carter (maybe), Dunleavy (maybe) but never are we linked to any bigs. I know FO is smarter than me and I know they are trying to bolster our frontcourt but god is it annoying that our main target was a small forward. We lost because we have no one beside Tim. I know bigs are rare and expensive but you don't win without them. We needed to bite the bullet and give up some assets to get one. Are there really enough minutes for Manu, Neal, Jefferson, Anderson, and Leonard at the wing? No one of the them will be the odd man out even though all seem to be suitable players. So package one and Blair and a pick and cash if it takes it and get a servicable big. Not dwight howard just someone of consequence. Jesus our biggest weakness is made weaker by the offseason with the loss of Dice. I know they are waiting for the season to get under way but seriously it is frustrating.

Excellent post. I'm sure the apologists will counter with "they had limited trade assets and money", "no one wants to come to San Antonio" and my personal favorite, "what did you want them to do, get Howard?".

The reality is this: There is no excuse for them to not have acquired a starting PF. They had the assets for it and even if Blair, McDyess and 1st wasn't going to get it done (which I don't buy), they could have gotten creative. If they wanted to retain their depth on the wings, they could have offered Butler, Green and the 1st for Rush and a 2nd. That would have given them an Anderson replacement and made it easier to add him to Blair and McDyess.

Who are they waiting for? They think a decent big is going to be waived? That's not happening. The best they can do is Barron, who's 7-0 and a good mid range shooter.

Trill Clinton
12-20-2011, 08:31 PM
They arent looking at shit. They say they dont want just anybody, we anybody is better than no body. Lay up line and dunk city if we dont get a 7 ftr in here that can change some shots......or a shot blocking for like T Thomas.
smh typical gnsf....Spurs should just take anybody at this point just to make spur fan happy.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Excellent post. I'm sure the apologists will counter with "they had limited trade assets and money", "no one wants to come to San Antonio" and my personal favorite, "what did you want them to do, get Howard?".

The reality is this: There is no excuse for them to not have acquired a starting PF. They had the assets for it and even if Blair, McDyess and 1st wasn't going to get it done (which I don't buy), they could have gotten creative. If they wanted to retain their depth on the wings, they could have offered Butler, Green and the 1st for Rush and a 2nd. That would have given them an Anderson replacement and made it easier to add him to Blair and McDyess.

Who are they waiting for? They think a decent big is going to be waived? That's not happening. The best they can do is Barron, who's 7-0 and a good mid range shooter.So you are demanding a Barron signing?

TD 21
12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
So you are demanding a Barron signing?

No, I'd rater they play Blair/Bonner at center and Jefferson/Leonard at power forward, when Splitter inevitably goes down and the want to give Duncan a game off.

Why would you want someone who's tall, unless they're a star, right?

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
No, I'd rater they play Blair/Bonner at center and Jefferson/Leonard at power forward, when Splitter inevitably goes down and the want to give Duncan a game off.

Why would you want someone who's tall, unless they're a star, right?Players who suck are always available.

stxspurs
12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
the next draft class should be good...lottery bound!
bonner/blair/splitter...it has to happen...we gonna get rocked

Uriel
12-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I think what's a little more concerning is that they are looking for a CENTER and not a POWER FORWARD. I don't consider Splitter to be a PF - his game resembles more of a C.

If the Spurs are actually looking for a C, it needs to be someone who scores (like Dwight Howard). Otherwise, you can count on 20 pts or less from the frontcourt scorers and TP, MG and RJ will have to put up 20 a piece per game.

Why? Wasn't the team's primary weakness last year its lack of size leading to it getting bullied in the paint and failing miserably in interior defense? Wouldn't a center then more ably address those needs than a power forward?

Meh, the point is probably moot, since in the Spurs' system, the 4 and 5 are interchangeable anyway.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Players who suck are always available.

Right. And because the front office failed to do it's job, they now need to resort to a player who sucks to plug a hole. And because Barron's actually above 6-9 and can make a shot outside of 10 feet, he makes the most sense.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Right. And because the front office failed to do it's job, they now need to resort to a player who sucks to plug a hole. And because Barron's actually above 6-9 and can make a shot outside of 10 feet, he makes the most sense.Barron sucks. That's the point.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Barron sucks. That's the point.

They need a big above 6-9, who can make a shot outside of 10 feet. That's the point.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:06 PM
They need a big above 6-9, who can make a shot outside of 10 feet. That's the point.But not one that sucks and won't play. That's the point.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:10 PM
But not one that sucks and won't play. That's the point.

If that's the case, then they won't be adding a fifth big this season. Because only one's who suck are available in free agency at this point (minus Dalembert, who they can't afford) and they don't appear willing to part with any of the young assets in a trade because if they did, they'd have a starting power forward. That's what they get for not doing their jobs.

Won't play? So you think none of the four bigs will get injured or they won't want to give Duncan the odd game off? What if one or two are in foul trouble even? Just play Duncan 42 minutes or throw Jefferson or Leonard on Gasol, Randolph, Aldridge, etc.? That's acceptable to you? You front office apologists disgust me.

Em-City
12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
But not one that sucks and won't play. That's the point.

I'd take him over blair tbh

edit: or rather, to compliment one of bonner/blair

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:17 PM
If that's the case, then they won't be adding a fifth big this season. Because only one's who suck are available in free agency at this point (minus Dalembert, who they can't afford) and they don't appear willing to part with any of the young assets in a trade because if they did, they'd have a starting power forward. That's what they get for not doing their jobs.

Won't play? So you think none of the four bigs will get injured or they won't want to give Duncan the odd game off? What if one or two are in foul trouble even? Just play Duncan 42 minutes or throw Jefferson or Leonard on Gasol, Randolph, Aldridge, etc.? That's acceptable to you? You front office apologists disgust me.:lmao

Sure they'll be a fifth big. You can make it Barron or Hassell or Zeller or whatever -- they'll still suck.

That's what fifth bigs do.

You people who think fifth bigs can be awesome disgust me.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
:lmao

Sure they'll be a fifth big. You can make it Barron or Hassell or Zeller or whatever -- they'll still suck.

That's what fifth bigs do.

You people who think fifth bigs can be awesome disgust me.

Barron sucks less than Hassell and Zeller, though. You don't just go "let's completely disregard a spot that we'll need to eat up actual minutes".

Who said "fifth bigs can be awesome"?

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Barron sucks less than Hassell and Zeller, though. You don't just go "let's completely disregard a spot that we'll need to eat up actual minutes".How many actual minutes do you have penciled in for the fifth big in the regular rotation?

Who said "fifth bigs can be awesome"?You are pretty much intimating they can save the season if one of the bigs who doesn't suck goes down.

I personally don't care which player is signed to be the fifth big at this point. All the candidates did and do suck. It simply won't make the difference that is needed.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:37 PM
How many actual minutes do you have penciled in for the fifth big in the regular rotation?

You are pretty much intimating they can save the season if one of the bigs who doesn't suck goes down.

I personally don't care which player is signed to be the fifth big at this point. All the candidates did and do suck. It simply won't make the difference that is needed.

It depends on the variety of factors I've already talked about. But this big rotation isn't exactly the second coming of Gasol-Bynum-Odom. This team, especially this season, needs five bigs who can eat up minutes.

I'm not intimating that at all. Why do you front office apologists all make things up? I'm intimating that they need depth. And at this late date, I find it hard to believe they're going to do better than Barron.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
It depends on the variety of factors I've already talked about. But this big rotation isn't exactly the second coming of Gasol-Bynum-Odom. This team, especially this season, needs five bigs who can eat up minutes.

I'm not intimating that at all. Why do you front office apologists all make things up? I'm intimating that they need depth. And at this late date, I find it hard to believe they're going to do better than Barron.If this season depends on signing Earl Barron, we might as well tank.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
If this season depends on signing Earl Barron, we might as well tank.

You lack reading comprehension and are an unabashed front office apologist.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
You lack reading comprehension and are an unabashed front office apologist.Nah, they sucked this offseason. No big man they can realistically sign at this point is going to change that.

TD 21
12-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Nah, they sucked this offseason. No big man they can realistically sign at this point is going to change that.

So don't bring one in at all? That makes sense.

He's better than the training camp fodder they currently have. It may not help much, but it wouldn't hurt at all to bring him in.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2011, 09:52 PM
So don't bring one in at all? That makes sense.

He's better than the training camp fodder they currently have. It may not help much, but it wouldn't hurt at all to bring him in.
I already said bring him or any other player who sucks in.

You didn't comprehend it.

lmbebo
12-20-2011, 09:53 PM
feels like team is window shopping right now without an intent to buy anything. At some point you gotta walk into the store and pick something out.

PublicOption
12-20-2011, 10:41 PM
chris kaman

itzsoweezee
12-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Why haven't the Spurs tried to sign Reggie Evans? Dude is about to sign for $1.3M/1yr. He would've been a great fit on the defensive end.

spurs10
12-21-2011, 02:27 AM
I think the question is, who is going to defend tall starting power forwards? Guess we'll find out the day after Christmas.

G-Dawgg
12-21-2011, 02:49 AM
There's no good bigs to add to our roster. Just accept that we are not going to add another big already. Some of you guys are just rediculous. Why would we add some shitty big man just because he's 6'10'' or 7'0 just to add him to the list of Bonner and RJ for all you fuckers to complain about.....like fuck, shut up already -just sayin...

Obstructed_View
12-21-2011, 03:03 AM
There's no good bigs to add to our roster. Just accept that we are not going to add another big already. Some of you guys are just rediculous. Why would we add some shitty big man just because he's 6'10'' or 7'0 just to add him to the list of Bonner and RJ for all you fuckers to complain about.....like fuck, shut up already -just sayin...

Because Bonner is 6'10" and RJ is 6'7" and both have about the same standing reach. A good big man always beats a good smaller man. Basketball is no different from boxing.

Nathan89
12-21-2011, 03:16 AM

The spurs are going to add another big. He may not be any good but there will be another.

G-Dawgg
12-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Because Bonner is 6'10" and RJ is 6'7" and both have about the same standing reach. A good big man always beats a good smaller man. Basketball is no different from boxing.
Thats the problem, there is no good big men out there that we can realistically obtain. So get over it... If we do get a big man he's gonna be a bench warmer that will likely get no court time. He'll be a rotation insurance type player in case one of our regular rotation frontcourt players get injured...We are not going to sign a big man that will make an impact in any way. Just accept it. If we are going to get any significant frontcourt production, it'll likely be from Splitter and Blair having a bigger role on the team, not from some marginal player that we add just for his height.
Pray for a trade...but don't hold your breath

underdawg
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Thats the problem, there is no good big men out there that we can realistically obtain. So get over it... If we do get a big man he's gonna be a bench warmer that will likely get no court time. He'll be a rotation insurance type player in case one of our regular rotation frontcourt players get injured...We are not going to sign a big man that will make an impact in any way. Just accept it. If we are going to get any significant frontcourt production, it'll likely be from Splitter and Blair having a bigger role on the team, not from some marginal player that we add just for his height.

What's wrong with taking a flier on Ajinca? He's decent enough to actually get some minutes given the situation for the season and the Spurs lack of depth. Scrubs can help - look at the impact Cardinal and Mahinmi had for Dallas in the Playoffs even if minor.

rWrCi4Q3iqM&feature=related

Anonymous Cowherd
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Why haven't the Spurs tried to sign Reggie Evans? Dude is about to sign for $1.3M/1yr. He would've been a great fit on the defensive end.

Because we already have an undersized rebounder at PF.

sasffl
12-21-2011, 11:14 AM
spurs need a starting pf other than a c

SenorSpur
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have the skinny on the skills of Gustavo Ayon - other than him signing with the Hornets? I don't know much about him and, assuming he's serviceable, why the Spurs didn't go harder after him?

Obstructed_View
12-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Yeah, there are no good smaller men either. So anyone big is going to be better than RJ and Bonner.

Brutalis
12-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Really a diss to TD not ever getting him any help. Things could have been so different. (aka not being killed in the first round)

Robz4000
12-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Saw some good things from Lawal and Hassell today. I say just sign them and see what presents itself later.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 05:20 AM
If we're just going to start auditioning big men, I'd take a look at Will Foster. He's the only true shot blocker in the D-League since Greg Stiemsma looks like he's going to stick with Boston.

Doesn't look like he knows how to play yet but as they say, you can't teach seven feet, five inches.

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/11/25/22/13/UtS49.St.36.jpg

G-Dawgg
12-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Yeah, there are no good smaller men either. So anyone big is going to be better than RJ and Bonner.

Not true at all. RJ and Bonner are much more valuable to us than some random scrub frontline player

rascal
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
5th big, I didnt know whe had a third big!

This, the Spurs need a legitimate starting quality addition on the frontline.
I don't see what the big fuss over the 5th big is about because whoever it is won't make any bit of difference.

DMC
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Novak: RC's 12 step self help program has him on the wagon. He woke up and said "wtf, who is this clown?"

Kenyon Martin won't want to play in SA. The thug wannabe types never do.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Not true at all. RJ and Bonner are much more valuable to us than some random scrub frontline player

Not at center or power forward.

z0sa
12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
RJ: our secret weapon at PF?

:lol

G-Dawgg
12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Not at center or power forward.

Well, Bonner IS a power forward, and who's asking you to play RJ at power forward anyways...

Well, wish all you want for a new savior on the front line from Santa. Like I said... don't hold your breath.

swaggerjackson
12-23-2011, 12:00 AM
I am not sure we will add anybody who cracks the big man rotation until later in the season. We will probably sign a scrub big for depth, but I think RJ and Kawhi will slide up to the 4 as we play small ball lineups. And to be fair we know that this can get us through a fair amount of the regular season. I think once teams start doing poorly, especially those in trouble financially, they will be more open to deals. With the new CBA I think we will see more salary dump moves than before. We can't win it all without another big, but there is still plenty of time before the playoffs actually start.

Ice009
12-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I am not sure we will add anybody who cracks the big man rotation until later in the season. We will probably sign a scrub big for depth, but I think RJ and Kawhi will slide up to the 4 as we play small ball lineups. And to be fair we know that this can get us through a fair amount of the regular season. I think once teams start doing poorly, especially those in trouble financially, they will be more open to deals. With the new CBA I think we will see more salary dump moves than before. We can't win it all without another big, but there is still plenty of time before the playoffs actually start.

That's a good point about teams that may want to do salary dumps as the season goes on, but what are we going to give them?

A lot of those teams probably don't want RJ's contract on their books.

swaggerjackson
12-23-2011, 01:20 AM
It depends on the team and also how our players perform. I mean if RJ shows out he could gain value. Same for Blair, Bonner, etc. It depends on who plays well and who is expendable. So there is still time to mold and improve the roster. I think the FO is banking on playing well during the regular season again to attract players. We are not a popular destination but if we are title contenders again or appear as such veterans will want to come via demanded trade or being released from their lottery bound team. I am in sit back and wait mode. I don't think anything big will happen for a while. But I have been wrong before...once or twice

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Well, Bonner IS a power forward
:lmao

and who's asking you to play RJ at power forward anyways
:pop:

Well, wish all you want for a new savior on the front line from Santa. Like I said... don't hold your breath.
Don't see anyone wishing for a savior, just wishing for someone that's actually physically equipped to play the fucking position. Ain't really that much to ask.

smrattler
12-23-2011, 08:29 AM
They are looking in the sense of having eyes and seeing what they need.

That's about it.

No savior out there.

No way to get him if there was.

yavozerb
12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Spurs in my opinion will be scowering the cuts this week for another big and expect this player to be your 5th big..

ace3g
12-24-2011, 02:24 AM
on this season preview on NBATV, they got to the segment about the Spurs and this is how it went:

Steve Smith: "Spurs need a big"

Other guy: "They have Matt Bonner, he's big"

Steve Smith: "He's not that big" (with a smile) lol lol lol

Obstructed_View
12-24-2011, 05:58 AM
What are they going to do, send a reporter all the way to San Antonio so Pop can be a dick to them? It's really not a surprise that the Spurs don't get any ink outside of town. It's the same reason they get no decent reporting from the local paper.

ace3g
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
mjGyMND_0pA

DMC
12-24-2011, 12:45 PM
"real real real real real good guy"

Tyrone Jenkins
12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
So, in essence, they ARE (or have been) looking. Not a big name signing but it seems there's a couple of guys who still have a chance to be that 5th big.

ace3g
12-24-2011, 04:16 PM
JoeAlexander210 Joe Alexander
Spurs waived forward Frank Hassell, rookie from Olde Dominion, and center Luke Zeller, rookie from Notre Dame.

Fireball
12-24-2011, 04:19 PM
JoeAlexander210 Joe Alexander
Spurs waived forward Frank Hassell, rookie from Olde Dominion, and center Luke Zeller, rookie from Notre Dame.

what is the plan here?

Libri
12-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Toros fodder

Bruno
12-24-2011, 04:38 PM
what is the plan here?

The plan is to save money. Today was the last day for teams to waive players for free.

I can see Spurs signing soon a bigman and waiving green when Neal will be back.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-24-2011, 04:50 PM
But which bigman is the golden question.

yavozerb
12-24-2011, 04:59 PM
I am guessing one these 3 will be your man:
Dampier
Joe Smith
Gadzuric

All for the vet. min.

Bruno
12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
It will be hard for Spurs to get better than an end of the bench player.

Aside of players waived by other NBA teams at the end of their training camp and free agent vet players, Spurs could try to get an "euro". Most teams in Europe have a little break for the new year and it's a good period to get a player in exchange of some money.

yavozerb
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM
erazem lorbek:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

:toast:, was just thinking the same thing...

GB20
12-24-2011, 05:20 PM
erazem lorbek:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

or Ryan Richard :D

TD 21
12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
The plan is to save money. Today was the last day for teams to waive players for free.

I can see Spurs signing soon a bigman and waiving green when Neal will be back.

That's illogical, so that's probably exactly what they'll do.

Even with Neal out, a fifth big is more important than wing depth. I like Green, but Joseph can play shooting guard in a pinch if they absolutely need it. So they essentially would still have five players capable of playing the wings.

They deserve for one of their bigs to get injured in the first game and be out a while or for two to be in foul trouble early or and be forced to run the other two into the ground. Or even, as the games go on, to have a stretch where a bunch of them are either reasonably in or out of hand relatively early and be forced to run at least one of the bigs into the ground and expose them to injury at a time when they shouldn't be playing.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2011, 06:24 PM
That's illogical, so that's probably exactly what they'll do.

Even with Neal out, a fifth big is more important than wing depth. I like Green, but Joseph can play shooting guard in a pinch if they absolutely need it. So they essentially would still have five players capable of playing the wings.

They deserve for one of their bigs to get injured in the first game and be out a while or for two to be in foul trouble early or and be forced to run the other two into the ground. Or even, as the games go on, to have a stretch where a bunch of them are either reasonably in or out of hand relatively early and be forced to run at least one of the bigs into the ground and expose them to injury at a time when they shouldn't be playing.lol deserve

ace3g
12-28-2011, 11:10 PM
early on: M. Speights hasn't played in the 1st 2 games for the 76ers; including tonight when the 76ers were up 20+ in the 4th quarter. Possible trade option.

urunobili
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Speights would be a good 5th Big IMO. I take him over Mba Moute

ChuckD
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Speights would be a good 5th Big IMO. I take him over Mba Moute

Mba Moute is a three, not a big.

HarlemHeat37
12-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't mind Speights, but he's not a "Spurs type of player", tbh..

Spurtacus
12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Anthony Randolph. He's cheap, only 22 years old and has produced when given time.

urunobili
12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Mba Moute is a three, not a big.

Ups my bad I was thinking about this other English payer that played for us a couple seasons ago b4 they got Gooden with an african name too... can't remember now :(

DMC
12-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Nazr?

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Ups my bad I was thinking about this other English payer that played for us a couple seasons ago b4 they got Gooden with an african name too... can't remember now :(

Pops Mensah Bonsu!!!!!!! :lobt2:

ChuckD
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Anthony Randolph. He's cheap, only 22 years old and has produced when given time.

Tons of talent, but seems like a 6'11" version of JR Smith, knucklehead, doesn't seem to get it.

Spurtacus
12-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Tons of talent, but seems like a 6'11" version of JR Smith, knucklehead, doesn't seem to get it.

Exactly why he's not getting minutes. Pop & Co. could whip this boy into shape.

urunobili
12-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Pops Mensah Bonsu!!!!!!! :lobt2:

thanks!!!

Bruno
12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
early on: M. Speights hasn't played in the 1st 2 games for the 76ers; including tonight when the 76ers were up 20+ in the 4th quarter. Possible trade option.

The huge problem with trade scenarios is that Spurs will have a hard time matching salaries. With Dice waived, Spurs can't really do a trade because of this matching salaries problem.

Free agency seems to be the most likely way for Spurs to add depth in the paint. They are after Przybilla but a lot of teams are after him too. If they cna't get him, a player like Etan Thomas would be serviceable.

ace3g
12-31-2011, 02:04 AM
The huge problem with trade scenarios is that Spurs will have a hard time matching salaries. With Dice waived, Spurs can't really do a trade because of this matching salaries problem.

Free agency seems to be the most likely way for Spurs to add depth in the paint. They are after Przybilla but a lot of teams are after him too. If they cna't get him, a player like Etan Thomas would be serviceable.

sucks because Speights only has 1 yr /$2,721,254 left on his contract

Inside the Sixers: Sixers' Speights yet to earn team's trust

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/columnists/20120101_Inside_the_Sixers___Sixers__Speights_yet_ to_earn_team_s_trust.html#ixzz1iE5PJjw7

_____

crap!!!

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Trade, on course to be completed Wednesday, would send Speights to Grizz, Xavier Henry to Hornets and furnish Philly with two future picks

and the worst part for me personally, is that it always seems like when the Spurs finally make a trade or sign a player; either the same day or next, another team trades or signs a player I was hoping the Spurs would sign...